Temazepam Side Effects
Some side effects of temazepam may not be reported. Always consult your doctor or healthcare specialist for medical advice. You may also report side effects to the FDA.
For the Consumer
Applies to temazepam: oral capsule, oral tablet
Along with its needed effects, temazepam may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking temazepam:Less common
- False or unusual sense of well-being
- fear or nervousness
- mood or mental changes
- Difficult or labored breathing
- fast, irregular, pounding, or racing heartbeat or pulse
- loss of appetite
- loss of memory
- problems with memory
- seeing, hearing, or feeling things that are not there
- shakiness and unsteady walk
- shortness of breath
- tightness in the chest
- trouble sleeping
- uncontrolled eye movements
- unsteadiness, trembling, or other problems with muscle control or coordination
- unusual excitement, nervousness, restlessness, or irritability
- weight loss
- Muscle cramps
- shakiness in the legs, arms, hands, or feet
- stomach cramps
- trembling or shaking of the hands or feet
Get emergency help immediately if any of the following symptoms of overdose occur while taking temazepam:Symptoms of overdose
- Blurred vision
- change in consciousness
- decreased or absent reflexes
- difficult or troubled breathing
- dizziness, faintness, or lightheadedness when getting up suddenly from a lying or sitting position
- irregular, fast, slow, or shallow breathing
- loss of consciousness
- pale or blue lips, fingernails, or skin
- shortness of breath
- sleepiness or unusual drowsiness
- unusual tiredness or weakness
Some side effects of temazepam may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects. Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:Less common
- dry mouth
- feeling of constant movement of self or surroundings
- sensation of spinning
- unusual dullness or feeling of sluggishness
- burning eyes
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to temazepam: oral capsule
Nervous system side effects are common and include drowsiness (9.1%), headache (8.5%), fatigue (4.8%), nervousness (4.6%), dizziness (4.5%), and lethargy (4.5%) most frequently. Sleep disturbances, morning "hangover" symptoms, hyperexcitability, confusion, amnesia, and ataxia have also been observed.
One population- based case control study has suggested that use of temazepam in elderly patients may be associated with an increased risk of hip fractures.
Withdrawal symptoms may include agitation, restlessness, anxiety, insomnia, convulsions, tremor, abdominal cramps, blurred vision, vomiting, and sweating.
Other side effects include withdrawal symptoms after either abrupt cessation or fast tapering of temazepam. Rebound insomnia (a worsening of sleep following cessation of therapy) has also been reported but appears to be less common with temazepam than other benzodiazepines used for hypnosis. Death from pulmonary microembolization has been reported in one patient who crushed temazepam tablets and injected them intravenously. Limb ischemia requiring amputation has also been reported following inadvertent intra-arterial administration of temazepam in drug abusing patients.
Psychiatric side effects including cognitive disturbances, psychotic symptoms, and euphoria have been reported. One case of visual hallucination has been reported and confirmed upon rechallenge.
Hepatic side effects including hepatitis and elevated liver function tests have been reported rarely.
Gastrointestinal side effects including diarrhea, constipation, nausea, and vomiting have been reported rarely.
Hematologic side effects including blood dyscrasias have been reported rarely.
Hypersensitivity side effects including anaphylaxis have been reported rarely.
More temazepam resources
- temazepam Advanced Consumer (Micromedex) - Includes Dosage Information
- temazepam MedFacts Consumer Leaflet (Wolters Kluwer)
- Temazepam Prescribing Information (FDA)
- Temazepam Professional Patient Advice (Wolters Kluwer)
- Temazepam Monograph (AHFS DI)
- Restoril Consumer Overview
- Restoril Prescribing Information (FDA)
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This information does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This drug information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or drug combination in no way should be construed to indicate that the drug or drug combination is safe, effective, or appropriate for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of information provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the drugs you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.