User Reviews for Ambien

7.7
Summary of Ambien reviews 265 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Ambien

Review by Chelseymegan: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I was never able to sleep through the night until my doctor prescribed Ambien.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 3:12 AM
Review by naybay91: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I can take 2 Ambien and be wide awake. I tried melatonin, ZZZ Quil, Unisom.. sometimes take my Valium at bedtime. My sleep cycle got messed up and I'm trying desperately to get it back.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 18, 2014 2:08 AM
Review by epidoctor (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Works fine but the rebound insomnia can be awful. Used sparingly it can be a useful medicine. Once again, watch for the rebound insomnia.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 12, 2014 12:07 AM
Review by insomiac: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've had horrible insomnia since I was a child. Diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few years ago. Ambien is not the holy grail. You build up a tolerance over the years but 12.5 is as high as most doctors will go ) from 10, 8 years ago). Pluses for Ambien - it will put you to sleep; no half-life so no grogginess in the morning. Minuses- it will put you to sleep but generally not keep you asleep. Thus the waking up wide awake at 3 a.m. There is now intermezzo - and sublingual 3.5 dose of Ambien meant for this problem - works for me 50% of the time- otherwise I just stay up. Another minus - if you take Ambien on a full stomach IT WILL NOT WORK. I generally eat before 5 and allow 5 hours before I take it. But in all - a savior!

March 3, 2014 12:44 AM
Review by DebbieGrateful (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien has been a huge help to me. I have horrible hot flashes whenever I try to fall asleep and end up awake all night. When I take half an Ambien I am able to fall asleep and I do not feel tired or out of it the next day. I am so grateful for this medication. It's helped the quality of my life substantially. I've never experienced the side effects others mention, I simply fall asleep.

February 27, 2014 12:57 PM
Review by April angel (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I find plates/bowls with food on them in the night.

February 19, 2014 10:44 PM
Review by diva0226: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Great. Just take them 5 mins before bed.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 12:30 AM
Review by Bad sleeper: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been taking Ambien on and off for 8 years for severe insomnia, mostly related to anxiety and post traumatic stress disorder. Over time my body has built up a dependence and a tolerance. I will lay awake till 5 am if I don't take it miserable and exhausted for days. The generic doesn't seen to work as well and since I have been on it so long I usually have to take 20mg to get a full nights sleep, but with certain generics I still wake up at 3am and can't go back to bed. It has been a God send over the years as I tried everything else. I was treated for depression but those medications made it harder to sleep. At some point I would like to stop being dependent on the medicine but every time I try to quit I go through weeks of with no sleep.

February 4, 2014 6:19 AM
Review by gramasha (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Age 66 with advanced arthritis, multiple spinal stenosis, and degenerative disc disease. Awaken refreshed after 9+ hours without usual back or muscle pain. Dosage only 5 mg. Absolutely awesome! Only up to use restroom once or twice and able to go straight back to sleep. Only problem. Insurance limits me to 90/year. Yeah, only 1.7 nights a week do I get decent sleep and pain relief.

January 15, 2014 9:42 AM
Review by MistyLynn5: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've been taking Ambien for about 8 years now due to chronic insomnia. Multiple medical issues have caused most of the problem with not sleeping. I already have 3 fusions in my neck (one of which is falling apart and causing a compressed spinal cord that my NS is trying to avoid further surgery on so that I don't have to have rods in addition to the screws and plates that are already in there) plus I have laminectomy from L2 to S1 with bulging discs, fibromyalgia, bone on bone arthritis in both knees and I also need both hips replaced. Oh, there are also a couple of bulging discs and bone spurs in my cervical spine in addition to the problems already mentioned. I have never had any side effects or trouble with the Ambien at all.

January 10, 2014 1:11 PM
Review by alzora: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have fibromyalgia so I wake up in pain this allows me to rest.

January 10, 2014 9:14 AM
Review by phantom2jetpilot (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have terrible chronic insomnia. I have safely taken this medication for over 12 years, with no significant side effects. Go to bed as soon as you take the medication. In my case the window for working is very short---7-10 minutes. If it hasn't helped me sleep by 15 minutes, it isn't going to help for that particular time. I would recommend this medication to anyone!

December 26, 2013 3:04 PM
Review by ona katiya: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: This medicine works to get me to sleep and stay asleep. HOWEVER I quickly become dependent on it and cant get to sleep without it so I can't take it as needed. Also I noticed that I seem to need larger doses rapidly. My insomnia issues are generally manageable if I avoid caffeine and don't eat too close to bedtime.

November 17, 2013 3:25 AM
Review by fastjetpilot (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Wonderful medication!!

November 8, 2013 10:20 AM
Review by Kattigirl: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien CR 12.5 works for me, but, for some reason I can't take the generic. Negates my anti-depressant (doctor has tried me on different anit-depressants & does it on all of them.) Has anyone else had this problem? Very weird.

November 1, 2013 5:20 PM
Review by Reservechic: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: It truly works great! I am so happy that my doctor prescribed it for me for my insomnia.

October 26, 2013 2:18 PM
Review by Kaykaypr (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Life time insomnia, 5 mg ambien is good for me. One half hour before bedtime I take 5 mg, turn off tv, put books aside, computer is off and I am in bed. Generally wake up 7 hrs later thanking the sleep Gods for a good night!

October 25, 2013 12:41 AM
Review by llcmal (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have many incurable diseases that are very painful. One of those is called Fibromyalgia. When you have Fibromyalgia, you rarely-if ever go to Stage 4 sleep. Without Ambien, I can be awake for 2-3 days. In pain, exhausted, crying and not able to sleep. I have been on all OTC medications for sleep. I have also tried Ambien CR (which for some reason doesn't work at all for me), Lunesta, Sonata, and chloral hydrate. (For those who don't know Chloral Hydrate is VERY strong). None of those worked. Ambien does!

October 5, 2013 2:02 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have taken this in addition to Benadryl for the last five years and noticed that it seems to work within 20 or 30 minutes as opposed to Benadryl which takes about an hour. The problem is if you take it too early before going to bed you may miss the window period and lie awake in bed restless. I've never had any of the adverse side effects like weird dreams or sleepwalking but it also seems to wake me up eight hours after taking it regardless of the time. It's probably the best as needed medicine for insomnia but would not recommend of an everyday basis.

September 17, 2013 1:08 PM
Review by Dannelley: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I work at a bar. Last night was the first night I started Ambien and I fell right to sleep, woke up early, went for a jog I feel amazing.

September 6, 2013 1:02 PM
Review by Liz1980 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: After a car accident where I suffered a head injury I had horrible insomnia worsened by pre-existing fibromyalgia. Nothing over the counter was working at all to help me sleep. My doctor put me on this. When it works, it's awesome. I cannot have any food on my stomach if I want this to work, though. I don't take it until I've washed my face, brushed my teeth & am actually in bed for the night. That's the trick! I hate that the FDA cut dosage by half for women- the lower dose doesn't work for me because I'm big/tall. Weight makes a difference in this meds case. Not everyone sleep-drives or sleepwalks on this.

August 20, 2013 10:58 AM
Review by TKOL (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien is the best ever.

August 20, 2013 10:37 AM
Review by Bailey4201:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I was diagnosed a bad case of insomnia a few years ago, they have tried me on multiple medicines but Ambien is by far the best out there for me. It keeps me asleep between 4-5 hours solid. Then up again so I take a half and I sleep great.

August 8, 2013 9:10 PM
Review by ballistics123: User Rating:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien was a great for me. I suffer from spine damage and pain wakes me. Sleep studies found I got 2 hrs of REM sleep. Ambien made this 5 and 6 hrs REM sleep. From this I cut my pain meds in half. My life got better and I went back to work. Medicine is not designed for long term use, yet I had to. This was only way I could sleep. I started with depression problems. Dr gave other medicines and it only made me worse. Ask for a sleep medicine change to Lunesta. In a week my depression was gone.

August 7, 2013 11:58 AM
Review by Dolly2256 (taken for 10 years or more):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been on a fairly high dose of ambien (20 mgs) for periodic limb movement disorder which a sleep study showed woke me up over 100 times per night. I've been on the same dose for over fifteen years. Before I tried this, I was given over thirty different medications over two years, none of which really worked. This is what works. It works pretty well still, helping me fall and stay asleep, and I haven't noticed any side effects except midnight snacks and very mild memory haziness (I can still remember what happens, it's just muddy, like waking up in the middle of the night). Recently, my doctor told me the FDA had suggested I drop to 5 mg a night. That dose would never work for me, even when I started it. It's safe and still works.

August 7, 2013 12:25 AM