User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 129 medications

6.6
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Doxepin reviews 130 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Doxepin

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc."

J? August 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "For fifteen years I only slept 2 to 4 hours each night. I tried many medications and could not even sleep with barbiturates. I have been taking Doxepin now for ten years and sleep 7-8 hours each night. I take a high dose of 150mg. The downside is constipation and some dizziness. A worthwhile trade off."

CRUNJIX August 6, 2015

For Insomnia: "I was having trouble falling asleep. I would lay there for hours. Still even with this drug I can't "fall" asleep and still I lay there for hours. This drug makes my eyes red watery and blurry. The next day after taking this med I am sooo sleepy. I just don't think this is the drug I need."

Sleepy grumpy dopey scary (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

For Insomnia: "This drug barely did anything for me at 12 mgs and I find it pretty useless. Plus it made me shaky and nauseous the next day. Ugh. I hate insomnia but I will stick to benzos if I can right now. The only way I can sleep!"

Sleepless in Canada June 24, 2015

Sinequan (doxepin) for Depression: "After about a week it helped with anxiety, is prescribed actually to me for insomnia and I'm on 150 mg works well. I have tried about everything else."

kounse46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

For Insomnia: "This made me sooooooo tired and drugged feeling I could barely wake up! It was terrible! I hate insomnia but this was ridiculous! This stuff is not a solution! Unless all you do is sleep. So frustrated! Thought this was the one!"

Benzo addict May 18, 2015

For Anxiety: "Been on many SSRIs, a few SNRIs, and some of the TCAs. I took Tofranil (imipramine) for about 6 months on a starting dose of 25 mg and eventually increased slowly to 125mg. Over the course of those 6 months, my anxiety was under control for the most part, but I developed myoclonus and had to stop taking the drug. I switched to Sinequan (doxepin) 25 mg, increased to 75 mg, divided into 25mg three times a day and have done well, without any side effects besides mild fatigue. No bad thoughts, lingering anxiety or panic attacks. Very successful drug (doxepin) for me so far. Been about 3 months now."

DKT26 May 17, 2015

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

For Urticaria: "Amazing! I was put on Doxepin a few months ago and it has done wonders. I used to break out in hives 4-5 times a day. Now I only break out 1-2 times a month. Very serious progress!"

Paisley12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2015

For Urticaria: "Very effective for treating Urticaria, almost completely eliminated my hives. Had to come off because doxepin caused major depression. Within three days of stopping Doxepin, my depression subsided."

Anonymous March 17, 2015

For Anxiety: "Especially good for helping you stay asleep! The problem is that I slept 12 hours straight and most of the next day. I didn't really have an issue staying asleep before- my issue is more with relaxing/ going to sleep at appropriate times. So, if you have a lot of trouble staying asleep, this definitely works. No terrible side effects, was just very sleepy. If you really need the sleep, go for it!"

KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2015

For Insomnia: "Prescribed doxepin in detox/rehab after traxadone did not work well. 25mg of doxepin works really well for me. 120 lb female age 26. Helps with anxiety and keeps me asleep even if I wake up to pee or something. I have gained some weight but I can't attribute it to the doxepin since I am only two months clean off opiates. But for addicts, definitely give it a try cause it worked wonders for me. Non habit forming too."

Olsensan February 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "Helped me a lot with my insomnia. But gained over 50 pounds in the last 4 months. I have also noticed my hair getting thinner. I will not take this anymore. Going back to the dr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015

For Urticaria: "I am 34 year old female.. I am on Doxepin to help me sleep.. I have had SEVERE eczema for years- NOTHING helps except prednisone ( on that now all the time too) but I couldn't sleep due to constant scratching.. Slowly increased Doxepin until Im now at 100mg taken at night ( sometimes depending how tired I am I only take 50-75mg) but Its my miracle pill.. Puts me to sleep ( almost instantly) and 99% of the time im not tired or groggy in the morning... I have heard however-there is possibility of weight gain and thinning hair at which both possibilities would cause me to look for a different medication.."

Sarah 1980 November 19, 2014

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I've been on Ambien and it was too strong. It gave me brain fog the next day. Taking half a pill helped but I did not like that it was habit forming. Got some samples of Silenor 3mg and it helped keep me sleeping or if I woke up I would go back to sleep. I only take half a pill with an 8 oz glass of water and that does the trick. It also helps to use earplugs to keep out noise. Ive noticed that some people complain of weight gain. I cant imagine how that could happen if you are sleeping. But if Im awake and nibbling in the middle of the night, unless I up my exercise it's to be expected."

Cant find a nickname November 14, 2014

For Insomnia: "I am an addict and have had chronic insomnia for 20 years, so as you would imagine I've tried everything and abused everything. Doxepin is a miracle med for me. I take 10 to 30mg depending on how sleepy I am. I have no side effects, no weight gain, no sleepiness the next day. Want extra help? Read up on Magnesium. Just added that with amazing results. Depression and anxiety...well haven't found the miracle for those yet."

EverydayAddict (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 1, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow."

ann702 (taken for less than 1 month) October 8, 2014

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49."

zanylisa (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 8, 2014

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not."

Bccmor September 8, 2014

For Insomnia: "This medication is the first I've tried for insomnia and it's better than nothing, but there has to be something better. I have problems staying asleep and 80% of the time it helps that, and if I wake up for the bathroom or a snack (okay two snacks), I can fall back asleep quickly. But the weight gain! I had no idea it would cause me to gain so much in a short period. 25 or so pounds in 3 months. I will be looking into Prosom instead and hopefully be able to drop this weight."

Veronica M August 22, 2014

Sinequan (doxepin) for Major Depressive Disorder: "It has greatly improved my mood and I have been sleeping wonderfully too."

Tiptoptf (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 16, 2014

For Insomnia: "I started this medication about 10 days ago. Doxepin, 10mg, has been working more days than not. Like most medicines, the first few days it worked like a charm. I took it and I slept about 5.5 hours straight. Sometimes can go back to sleep for another 1/2 an hour. I do feel a little help in the anxiety category. Not a lot but it does help a bit. The bad thing about this medicine is that you feel very sedated throughout the day. You know you slept because of the vivid dreams and you don't wake up the whole night. Nevertheless, you feel extremely tired the whole day. I wish I didn't have to take medicines. But I rather be feeling sleepy and knowing that I slept as opposed to feeling sleepy due to no sleep."

aquabohdi August 10, 2014

For Anxiety: "My Dr. Prescribed me Doxepin 10mg. For depression, anxiety, and insomnia. So far so good, calms me down wonderfully when my three kids or my husband cause me to have an anxiety attack, and is working well with my depression. Only things it isn't doing to much for my insomnia I still go to bed at about 9pm and fall asleep around 2:30-3:00am. I have also taken Lexapro which worsened my depression, Zoloft just made me feel like a zombie or like I was wired out of my mind, and Prozac which worked great on me but since I have insomnia my Dr. gave me Doxepin."

Buffs June 23, 2014

For Insomnia: "I've suffered with insomnia fire several years now. At times sleeping only 1 hour before having to get up to go to work. My Dr. prescribed Silenor but my insurance gave me Doxepin (25mg). Biggest mistake I made was taking right before bed because it doesn't help you fall asleep, only helps you stay asleep. Once I fell asleep, I didn't wake up at all until the following morning. If you have children or anyone else to depend on you for care, I wouldn't recommend it. I was actually awakened by my boys and I felt very drowsy, groggy, and irritable. So much so that I caught myself yelling at my kids. I wasn't able to function 100%. This would ONLY be good if you have nothing to do or no-one to care for the next day. "

Anonymous221098 June 14, 2014

For Insomnia: "I love it."

Anonymous June 12, 2014