User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 125 medications

Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 1 reviews 3 medications

Summary of Doxepin reviews 114 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Doxepin

Review by ann702 (taken for less than 1 month):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: Was too sedative and I always woke up tired the next day and it made my heart feel heavy and it felt like it was beating slow.

October 8, 2014 5:02 PM

Review by zanylisa (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: For as long as I can remember, I have had issues with falling asleep and remaining asleep. This occurred in childhood also. It seems to be a family trait. However, my doctor prescribed Silenor and what a difference this pill makes! To have always had problems sleeping and then suddenly, a pill changes the problem. Over the years I have taken, Lunesta, Ambien, Tylenol PM, Melatonin, Benadryl...all stopped working within a period of 3-5 months. Not so with Silenor. I read some posts stating that Silenor has caused weight gain. I have not noticed such, but I do not keep a weight scale in my house. For the present, I will only say that for a chronic lifetime insomniac, I wish that I had this pill 44 years ago. Age now 49.

September 8, 2014 6:11 PM

Review by Bccmor:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I was on zopiclone for about 14 years and was successful in weening myself off but having difficulty sleeping again. Doctor prescribed Silenor 3mg and with directions "take 1 or 2 tablets as needed". I've opted to take 1/2 tablet (1.5 mg) to start. I've been sleeping and feeling rested on awakening. Not sure if it's psychological or not.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 8, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by Veronica M:

For Insomnia: This medication is the first I've tried for insomnia and it's better than nothing, but there has to be something better. I have problems staying asleep and 80% of the time it helps that, and if I wake up for the bathroom or a snack (okay two snacks), I can fall back asleep quickly. But the weight gain! I had no idea it would cause me to gain so much in a short period. 25 or so pounds in 3 months. I will be looking into Prosom instead and hopefully be able to drop this weight.

August 22, 2014 2:52 AM

Review by Tiptoptf (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Sinequan (doxepin) for Major Depressive Disorder: It has greatly improved my mood and I have been sleeping wonderfully too.

August 16, 2014 9:47 PM

Review by aquabohdi:

For Insomnia: I started this medication about 10 days ago. Doxepin, 10mg, has been working more days than not. Like most medicines, the first few days it worked like a charm. I took it and I slept about 5.5 hours straight. Sometimes can go back to sleep for another 1/2 an hour. I do feel a little help in the anxiety category. Not a lot but it does help a bit. The bad thing about this medicine is that you feel very sedated throughout the day. You know you slept because of the vivid dreams and you don't wake up the whole night. Nevertheless, you feel extremely tired the whole day. I wish I didn't have to take medicines. But I rather be feeling sleepy and knowing that I slept as opposed to feeling sleepy due to no sleep.

August 10, 2014 3:54 AM

Review by Buffs:

For Anxiety: My Dr. Prescribed me Doxepin 10mg. For depression, anxiety, and insomnia. So far so good, calms me down wonderfully when my three kids or my husband cause me to have an anxiety attack, and is working well with my depression. Only things it isn't doing to much for my insomnia I still go to bed at about 9pm and fall asleep around 2:30-3:00am. I have also taken Lexapro which worsened my depression, Zoloft just made me feel like a zombie or like I was wired out of my mind, and Prozac which worked great on me but since I have insomnia my Dr. gave me Doxepin.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 23, 2014 2:37 AM

Review by Anonymous221098:

For Insomnia: I've suffered with insomnia fire several years now. At times sleeping only 1 hour before having to get up to go to work. My Dr. prescribed Silenor but my insurance gave me Doxepin (25mg). Biggest mistake I made was taking right before bed because it doesn't help you fall asleep, only helps you stay asleep. Once I fell asleep, I didn't wake up at all until the following morning. If you have children or anyone else to depend on you for care, I wouldn't recommend it. I was actually awakened by my boys and I felt very drowsy, groggy, and irritable. So much so that I caught myself yelling at my kids. I wasn't able to function 100%. This would ONLY be good if you have nothing to do or no-one to care for the next day.

June 14, 2014 10:27 AM

For Insomnia: I love it.

June 12, 2014 2:32 AM

Review by Hot mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I find it works really well keeping me asleep all night, I do have some wild vivid dreams but not that often, only down side for me is I am gaining weight

June 7, 2014 10:12 PM

Review by AnnieSmith11:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I couldn't stay asleep, tried Lunesta and Ambien, they had side effects I couldn't tolerate. Sleep center said I had mild apnea and said their monitors showed me sleeping but I felt like I was awake more than they said I was and was literally exhausted every day, felt like I was on the verge of "losing it," crying a lot. Was not sad/depressed--was sleep deprived. Have been taking 2 Silenor a night for 2 years: sleep like a baby, 8 hours required, wake up rested, functioning beautifully--I have my life back.

May 13, 2014 10:35 AM

Review by No Doze (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Doxepin is great at keeping me asleep. The only major problem is the rapid weight gain. I went from 155lbs to 185lbs in only 2 weeks.

May 7, 2014 10:29 PM

For Depression: I have been taking doxepin at 25mg for about a month for depression, chronic pain and anxiety. All was somewhat fine, no side effects. To get the medicine working better, my doctor raised my dose to 50mg about 2wks ago. I am very happy so far.

April 28, 2014 11:37 PM

Review by Post concussion:

For Insomnia: Developed acute insomnia immediately following a bad concussion. I would doze off but would wake up within 30 minutes, unable to fall back asleep for hours at a stretch. Tried several sleeping medications (off-label use trazodone, Ambien, melatonin, OTC sleep aids. with no success for several weeks and was getting desperate. A mere 3mg of Doxepin saved my life. I slept for six straight hours the first night and it only got better and better. I take 3mg around 9pm, sleep from 11pm to 6am very reliably and have few side effects besides a small amount of weight gain (about five pounds in my first two weeks) and slight drowsiness in the mornings and mid-afternoons. I'm so grateful to have my sleep back.

April 24, 2014 7:30 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: Silenor was a nightmare for me. I stuck with it for about 3 weeks and thought I was going out of my mind. I did not sleep at all for the first 4 days and then the hallucinations began. If I did sleep it was in for about 30 minutes at a time and then the terrible nightmares kept me awake for the rest of the night.

April 19, 2014 1:48 PM

Review by luckystar89 (taken for less than 1 month):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I tried this for two weeks and yet I never got to sleep on it. I had to try it for two weeks because otherwise my doctor wouldn't give me anything else.

April 7, 2014 8:08 PM

Review by maddieI (taken for 10 years or more):

For Anxiety: I have been on Doxepin and Xanax for 28 years, I take 150 mg doxepin at night and 1 Xanax at night 1mg. My doctor has me taking no more than five Xanax a day. I am starting to get more and more panic attacks during the day but I don't want to take more than 4 of the Xanax.

February 26, 2014 7:46 PM

Review by KathS (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: First night on 10mg didn't fall asleep until 5:15 am after 4 am popcorn binge. Woke up about 7:30 am. Same on next 3 nights with middle-of-the night coffee-cake, chocolates and even a couple of frozen dinners. Dr. upped to 20mg. Same result. Hardly any sleep, night snacking, and started eating more during the day. People have commented about rapid weight gain. They're right. I gained 8 lbs. the first week! My weight has been pretty consistent by 2-3 lbs. for years. Going back to Ambien!

February 17, 2014 2:19 PM

Review by speedy501:

For Anxiety: Yes, Doxepin mixed with Zanax is a nightmare. Too many adverse reactions......increased anxiety, severe agitation and frustration. It's like nothing can go quick enough for you.

February 11, 2014 12:42 AM

Review by Arthur Dent:

For Insomnia: I was given doxepin 50mg after a very bad experience using Xanax for insomnia. It works fine for my depression, I have a good energy level during the day, but it doesn't do a thing for my insomnia. I feel that if I can solve my insomnia it would go a long way to helping my depression.

February 9, 2014 8:05 PM

Review by Krystalp:

For Insomnia: I have taken doxepin every day for 29 years. I started taking 75 to 150 mg for depression, but once the depression lifted, I continued taking 10-25 mg a day for insomnia. It has been a lifesaver for me as, since my teens, I have not been able to sleep without a sleep aid, over-the-counter, prescription. Doxepin allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep for 6-8 hours. When I started taking it I gained 10 lbs. in a week and have never lost it. I have dry mouth, but that is an inconvenience that I am willing to put with. I tried to wean myself off once, about 10 years ago, but felt very bad flu-like symptoms so I started taking them again. In the past 5 years so 10mg doesn't always do the job and so I often take 20 mg.

December 19, 2013 8:34 PM

Review by ToddOne46 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing.

December 15, 2013 10:45 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Insomnia: I've been battling insomnia for almost 4 years. I had tried Ambien but always wound up digging in the fridge at 3am. It made me sleep walk really bad. Now with Doxepin, I'm able to sleep through the night and no digging in the fridge at 3am.

December 12, 2013 9:12 AM

Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more):

For Depression: I've been taking Doxepin & Xanax and Zoloft for over 20 years, for depression/anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. All three medicines work but only one has lasted, Doxepin. The other two I had no choice but to stop taking. I ended up with serious breathing problems. Zoloft several years after taking, subsided and then worse years later and Xanax after about a decade or so. Doxepin has done very well with all my conditions throughout the years with no serious problems. IT WORKS.

October 13, 2013 1:11 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: This medicine has helped me tremendously! This has been the only medicine that has helped me. The only part I don't like about it is that when I wake up I have a really bad dry mouth. Other than that it is great!

September 17, 2013 12:58 AM