User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 136 medications

6.6
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Doxepin reviews 142 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Doxepin

For Urticaria: "After suffering with chronic idiopathic urticaria for 20 years, a new Dr. put me on this old medicine which has a VERY strong antihistamine effect. It stopped the hives dead in their tracks, and now, being on the medication for 22 years, I have yet to ever develop another hive. This medication is a GREAT. I've never used anything even remotely effective as this medication to prevent hives (even steroids wouldn't stop them!). Doctors gave up on me and could never figure what the cause was/is. Doesn't matter now as they completely under control."

Garyloveslucy (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Tonight will be my fourth time taking Silenor. The last few nights I have not had a solid sleep. No problem falling asleep but staying asleep is still impossible. First two nights I had very lucid dreams. Waking up only after a couple of hours as I normally do. I'm only taking 3mg, kind of scared to take 6mg. I've taken many other types of sleeping pills and so far, none of them work. I'd give anything for a solid 6-8 hours."

Haven'tSleptInYears (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Urticaria: "Doxepin is a godsend for hives. But I have found several drawbacks for it. First, drowsiness. You need to take it before you go to bed. Probably even just slightly after dinner. Even then you will find yourself sluggish in the morning. Second, since it is an anti depressant, I tend to develop an I don't care attitude with it. My personality is to be that way normally and this exacerbates it. It isn't necessarily bad just something to be aware of. Finally, I find it inhibits weight loss. It doesn't necessarily cause weight gain, but, it causes me to sweat less when exercising. When I get off it I tend to lose weight pretty rapidly. But all the side effects are worth it to be hive free."

Oldstylin January 24, 2016

For Depression: "I was given silenor 3 mg at start to help me stay asleep and also to help with my anxiety and very mild depression... The doxepin in this medication is an anti depressant... My first try of it I felt drunk when I woke up at 3 am and I passed right back to sleep... I noticed within a week I felt a bit more happier and my anxiety has lessened... I feel more happier as well... So the doctor is keeping me on them for a while... It has been almost a year taking silenor... There was a slight weight gain over that period of time 10 lbs over the whole 10 months. I didn't take an entire week of the pills a few months back and boy did I notice.... They say non addictive but I felt sad and depressed... Right back where I was before taking them."

Worth a shot (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

For Depression: "My Dr was unbelievably careless and combined this with another dangerous drug. I nearly died as the result and have contemplated dying well over 100,000 times since. Any positive review of this drug should be highly skeptical of. This is a very dangerous drug that the manufacturers should stop making it, the sooner the better!"

Gonzo22 January 14, 2016

For Insomnia: "I got this for depression, I took 150 mg a day. Now I need 50 mg to fall asleep, sometimes even 100mg. I don't know how this works for people who take only 10-20 mg. Yes, I get a dry mouth, but that's ok. I noticed that I have very realistic dreams and sometimes a hangover for the next day (after 100mg)."

Jayden California January 10, 2016

For Insomnia: "Had a brain injury, sleep 2 to 3 hours a night. Take Doxepin 10 mg I have found to take the capsule a part dump out about 5 mg of medicine. I can sleep 6 to 7 hours and wake up feeling great. No hangover. Even if I wake up during the night I can go back to sleep. This drug is wonderful if used correctly"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 25, 2015

Sinequan (doxepin) for Anxiety: "If you're not able to take or no longer able to take SSRI'S, SNRI'S & Benz's this is a drug to consider. I've taken it off an on for decades. It helps tremendously in maintaining a normalcy n excellent for someone deprived of sleep. Takes time,but once adjusted it will become less of problem.Although it will continue to help for a good night's sleep. It's best to take this medication later in afternoon, until you do adjust. God Bless,"

fayfaith November 20, 2015

For Insomnia: "These were awful for me!! At first I felt like a zombie. I've lost all all intrested and motivation to do anything! I'm extremely irritable and have pretty well yelled at everone I've talked to. I feel I don't have any control. The only thing I want to do is sleep for 48 hours straight. I'll take a week with no sleep over this thanks!"

Jaxc03 November 14, 2015

Sinequan (doxepin) for Depression: "It works tremendously well on Insomnia and really does help on maintaining a normalcy in everyday life. Sleeping a lot at first, which in my case was a good thing. It's not the best for uplifting depression and doesn't help in taking away anxiety or panic attacks. The side affects for me was being easily bothered & hostal/angry. Will pass if you continue taking as directed,but each time you stop n then start again the experience starts over. But keep in mind,side affects vary and its different for each of Us. What works for one might not work for another. I've been taking Sinequan/Doxepin for over two decades."

fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more) September 20, 2015

For Insomnia: "Doxepin at 150 mg. saved my life! I've had chronic insomnia for as long as I can remember with sometimes several nights resulting in no sleep at all. I was diagnosed with a number of major medical problems from early adulthood, the worst of which being Type 1 Diabetes at age 24, so managing my overall healthcare now at age 55 is complicated by the severe sleep deprivation. I inherited all of the medical problems from both sides of the family tree and from my father, inherited a unique tolerance to any sedating medications, so no sleep aid I was ever prescribed was effective. About 8 mos. ago a new psychiatrist asked about sleep problems resulting in a script for 150 mg. Doxepin. Every night since-a full, deep night's restorative sleep!!"

gingersgone (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 17, 2015

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed 10mg pills for insomnia; I fall asleep readily, but can't stay asleep for more than 2 hours at a time. That's partially due to having dry mouth; drink something, have to go to the bathroom, wake up with a dry mouth, drink something, go to bathroom - vicious cycle. I'm awake for about 15 minutes after each episode. I took doxepin for 4 days out of 9. I started having very vivid dreams, to the point that I did not know what was actually real the next day. I also started feeling "who am I?", "where am I?","what am I doing here? - in other words, very disoriented. I had walked to a neighbor's house to get paperwork for the Civic Assn. I truly had no clue what the lists were, or what they were for. I glad I made it back home."

auntijoan (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I have had trouble staying asleep for several years. No problems falling asleep, but most nights I wake up around 3 or 4AM (five hours into my sleep) and from that point forward I sleep fitfully. I tried Silenor (actually generic Doxepin) for about three weeks. It seemed to help a bit for the first few days, but after a few weeks I noticed no improvement beyond no medication. First few days I experienced about a 1-2 low grade hang-over. The most notable part of the experience was the very vivid dreams I had. They were not nightmares, but they tended to be disturbing and about mundane aspects of life. Things like being late for appointments, dealing with unwanted guests, arguments with friends, etc."

J? August 18, 2015

For Insomnia: "For fifteen years I only slept 2 to 4 hours each night. I tried many medications and could not even sleep with barbiturates. I have been taking Doxepin now for ten years and sleep 7-8 hours each night. I take a high dose of 150mg. The downside is constipation and some dizziness. A worthwhile trade off."

CRUNJIX August 6, 2015

For Insomnia: "I was having trouble falling asleep. I would lay there for hours. Still even with this drug I can't "fall" asleep and still I lay there for hours. This drug makes my eyes red watery and blurry. The next day after taking this med I am sooo sleepy. I just don't think this is the drug I need."

Sleepy grumpy dopey scary (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

For Insomnia: "This drug barely did anything for me at 12 mgs and I find it pretty useless. Plus it made me shaky and nauseous the next day. Ugh. I hate insomnia but I will stick to benzos if I can right now. The only way I can sleep!"

Sleepless in Canada June 24, 2015

Sinequan (doxepin) for Depression: "After about a week it helped with anxiety, is prescribed actually to me for insomnia and I'm on 150 mg works well. I have tried about everything else."

kounse46 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

For Insomnia: "This made me sooooooo tired and drugged feeling I could barely wake up! It was terrible! I hate insomnia but this was ridiculous! This stuff is not a solution! Unless all you do is sleep. So frustrated! Thought this was the one!"

Benzo addict May 18, 2015

For Anxiety: "Been on many SSRIs, a few SNRIs, and some of the TCAs. I took Tofranil (imipramine) for about 6 months on a starting dose of 25 mg and eventually increased slowly to 125mg. Over the course of those 6 months, my anxiety was under control for the most part, but I developed myoclonus and had to stop taking the drug. I switched to Sinequan (doxepin) 25 mg, increased to 75 mg, divided into 25mg three times a day and have done well, without any side effects besides mild fatigue. No bad thoughts, lingering anxiety or panic attacks. Very successful drug (doxepin) for me so far. Been about 3 months now."

DKT26 May 17, 2015

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "This stuff really did the job. It knocked me on my booty and I am used to taking medications that make you sleepy. This kept me sleeping all night long after about 3 weeks of falling asleep and not being able to stay asleep for more than an hour or two. My prescription is for 25 mg and I only took a half. Just to let you know, You may want to try it when you do not have to work the next day. I am not sure if I could have gotten up in time for work this morning if I had to. I do all medications like this slowly and I never start out at my prescribed dosage. I always start out a lot lower dosage and go up from there if I need to. I do feel a bit of anxiety today. Not sure if it's the medication, or? I am wide AWAKE now. A bit strange."

Urbangirl (taken for less than 1 month) March 29, 2015

For Urticaria: "Amazing! I was put on Doxepin a few months ago and it has done wonders. I used to break out in hives 4-5 times a day. Now I only break out 1-2 times a month. Very serious progress!"

Paisley12345 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 22, 2015

For Urticaria: "Very effective for treating Urticaria, almost completely eliminated my hives. Had to come off because doxepin caused major depression. Within three days of stopping Doxepin, my depression subsided."

Anonymous March 17, 2015

For Anxiety: "Especially good for helping you stay asleep! The problem is that I slept 12 hours straight and most of the next day. I didn't really have an issue staying asleep before- my issue is more with relaxing/ going to sleep at appropriate times. So, if you have a lot of trouble staying asleep, this definitely works. No terrible side effects, was just very sleepy. If you really need the sleep, go for it!"

KellyBird57 (taken for less than 1 month) February 24, 2015

For Insomnia: "Prescribed doxepin in detox/rehab after traxadone did not work well. 25mg of doxepin works really well for me. 120 lb female age 26. Helps with anxiety and keeps me asleep even if I wake up to pee or something. I have gained some weight but I can't attribute it to the doxepin since I am only two months clean off opiates. But for addicts, definitely give it a try cause it worked wonders for me. Non habit forming too."

Olsensan February 9, 2015

For Insomnia: "Helped me a lot with my insomnia. But gained over 50 pounds in the last 4 months. I have also noticed my hair getting thinner. I will not take this anymore. Going back to the dr."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2015