User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1 reviews 123 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Doxepin reviews 99 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Doxepin

Review by luckystar89 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I tried this for two weeks and yet I never got to sleep on it. I had to try it for two weeks because otherwise my doctor wouldn't give me anything else.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 7, 2014 8:08 PM
Review by maddieI (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

doxepin for Anxiety: I have been on Doxepin and Xanax for 28 years, I take 150 mg doxepin at night and 1 Xanax at night 1mg. My doctor has me taking no more than five Xanax a day. I am starting to get more and more panic attacks during the day but I don't want to take more than 4 of the Xanax.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 26, 2014 7:46 PM
Review by KathS (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: First night on 10mg didn't fall asleep until 5:15 am after 4 am popcorn binge. Woke up about 7:30 am. Same on next 3 nights with middle-of-the night coffee-cake, chocolates and even a couple of frozen dinners. Dr. upped to 20mg. Same result. Hardly any sleep, night snacking, and started eating more during the day. People have commented about rapid weight gain. They're right. I gained 8 lbs. the first week! My weight has been pretty consistent by 2-3 lbs. for years. Going back to Ambien!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 17, 2014 2:19 PM
Review by speedy501:

doxepin for Anxiety: Yes, Doxepin mixed with Zanax is a nightmare. Too many adverse reactions......increased anxiety, severe agitation and frustration. It's like nothing can go quick enough for you.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 11, 2014 12:42 AM
Review by Arthur Dent: User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: I was given doxepin 50mg after a very bad experience using Xanax for insomnia. It works fine for my depression, I have a good energy level during the day, but it doesn't do a thing for my insomnia. I feel that if I can solve my insomnia it would go a long way to helping my depression.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 9, 2014 8:05 PM
Review by Krystalp: User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: I have taken doxepin every day for 29 years. I started taking 75 to 150 mg for depression, but once the depression lifted, I continued taking 10-25 mg a day for insomnia. It has been a lifesaver for me as, since my teens, I have not been able to sleep without a sleep aid, over-the-counter, prescription. Doxepin allows me to fall asleep and stay asleep for 6-8 hours. When I started taking it I gained 10 lbs. in a week and have never lost it. I have dry mouth, but that is an inconvenience that I am willing to put with. I tried to wean myself off once, about 10 years ago, but felt very bad flu-like symptoms so I started taking them again. In the past 5 years so 10mg doesn't always do the job and so I often take 20 mg.

December 19, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by ToddOne46 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I have been taking Silenor every night for 5 months and love it. It doesn't knock me out or make me loopy like Ambien. Silenor just makes me a bit drowsy, but more importantly is that when I wake up in the middle of the night I fall right back to sleep - which is a lifesaver for me. Since it's non-addictive, this is great for just normal calm times in my life, which is 95% of the time. But when I'm stressing out over something and all panicky, then Silenor does practically nothing for me. I have to take Ambien or Ativan during that 1-2 week period I'm stressing.

December 15, 2013 10:45 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: I've been battling insomnia for almost 4 years. I had tried Ambien but always wound up digging in the fridge at 3am. It made me sleep walk really bad. Now with Doxepin, I'm able to sleep through the night and no digging in the fridge at 3am.

December 12, 2013 9:12 AM
Review by fayfaith (taken for 10 years or more):

doxepin for Depression: I've been taking Doxepin & Xanax and Zoloft for over 20 years, for depression/anxiety/panic attacks and insomnia. All three medicines work but only one has lasted, Doxepin. The other two I had no choice but to stop taking. I ended up with serious breathing problems. Zoloft several years after taking, subsided and then worse years later and Xanax after about a decade or so. Doxepin has done very well with all my conditions throughout the years with no serious problems. IT WORKS.

October 13, 2013 1:11 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: This medicine has helped me tremendously! This has been the only medicine that has helped me. The only part I don't like about it is that when I wake up I have a really bad dry mouth. Other than that it is great!

September 17, 2013 12:58 AM
Review by georgie54 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: Did not take too long to go to sleep. Had some dreams but not nightmares. Woke with dry mouth and a little groggy. Within an hour of being up, I feel very alert, almost energetic, not sure how to explain it, just overall feel better than I have in weeks. Last night was my first dose of 25 mg. So we will see how it goes, hope I don't gain weight, as I have read about. I have had sleep issues for years and tried everything, hope this continues to work.

September 5, 2013 9:01 AM
Review by Jabber Wakky: User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: I've been using doxepin for about 2 years for insomnia. I used to wake every night after 2-3 hours of sleep and then was unable to get back to sleep for 1-2 hours. This has helped tremendously. I now sleep through the night, dream and feel better through the day. If I do wake, I am able to roll over and get back to sleep quickly. I take it just prior to bed, and get about 7 solid hours of sleep. I experience some dry mouth in the morning, but nothing severe, and it can be a bit difficult to get going in the morning. Overall, I'm much better than before.

August 30, 2013 3:33 PM
Review by Dukemannn: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: Makes you sleep fast, and well.

June 23, 2013 4:04 PM
Review by 456poohgirl: User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: I have been taking 25 mg of Doxepin for 17 years, I always could fall asleep, but if I woke up during the night, I couldn't go back to sleep for hours. Doxepin was like a miracle to me, I was never groggy the next morning and it didn't make me sleepy and groggy right after taking it. It just lets me go right back to sleep if I get up to use the bathroom. It still works after all these years, not as well though. I have weaned myself off of it, but I start having hot flashes off and on all day...so I start taking it again. And after being off of it for a few days the sleep problems seem to be back...so I may be on this for the rest of my life. I have recommended this to several friends and it has also helped them.

June 19, 2013 12:32 AM
Review by Nickynickname: User Rating:

doxepin for Anxiety: Psych keeps trying to replace Klonopin and Ambien with doxepin. It is very dose dependent. Prescribed 50mg but take 10mg, splitting capsules. Great sleep helps with anxiety next day but sedating. Non habit forming - no real "good" feeling. Took last night worked great for sleep and anxiety. Will see how today goes.

June 8, 2013 9:14 AM
Review by jmmh: User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: This medication knocked me out every night and so it was great to catch up on years of sleep debt. Overall, a very positive experience. However, like other users, I slowly gained 10-20 pounds over the course of taking doxepin. I stopped taking it in the last couple of months, and suddenly, my appetite significantly decreased and weight just started dropping off. I had no idea that the medication caused this increased appetite/weight gain. Honestly I thought I was just growing older and my metabolism was changing. I'm glad I took this medication for insomnia, and also that the side effect of weight gain faded away as soon as I stopped taking it. Overall, the value of the sleep I gained far outweighed the con of the weight I gained.

May 23, 2013 7:23 AM
Review by Good to know (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: This medicine worked beautifully for me; I have no complaints. But when my insurance changed and I couldn't take it any longer, I had to try and go without it. I didn't realize that it had been the source of my weight gain and why I couldn't lose the weight no matter what I tried. After stopping taking it I dropped 10 lbs almost immediately WHILE I WAS ON SPRING BREAK and eating way more than usual and not working out 4 times a week as usual. I'm glad I took it and that it helped me, but I just wanted to share this experience so that others won't mistakenly think that age was causing them to gain weight and not lose it no matter what they tried.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 19, 2013 5:12 PM
Review by Ktired: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I had horrible nightmares and intermittent sleep. Very frustrated. Woke up tired.

April 15, 2013 12:00 PM
Review by johns285 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: This medicine was just like taking Benadryl, only more expensive. An hour to two hours after taking Silenor, I still couldn't fall asleep...not even the slightest bit tired. Once I had fallen asleep, I would wake up 2-4 hours later and be wide awake for the rest of the night.

March 24, 2013 6:33 AM
Review by SleepyNess: User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: I too have tried Ambien and since I heard many of my friends become slightly addicted to it, my doctor switched me to Silenor. It definitely works! And it doesn't give me that weird feeling like Ambien did at times. Couple of my other friends also say it worked for them. Copay was just as much as Ambien on my insurance.

March 2, 2013 8:46 AM
Review by Insomniac1985 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

doxepin for Depression: I've been diagnosed with chronic insomnia and general anxiety for 9 years. I also suffer from depression, but refuse to be medicated directly for it (specifically SSRI's) after dealing with Paxil and the horrible withdrawal I experienced 8 years ago. So recently I was prescribed 30mg Doxepin in addition to my Zolpidem (Ambien) for my insomnia. My insomnia has slightly improved, but more pronounced has been the reduction in both occurrence and severity of my anxiety (within the first week) and depression (after about 3-4 weeks). It's been about 6 weeks since I started the doxepin and haven't noticed any negative side effects besides some dry mouth/eyes, which is far outweighed by the benefits I've received.

February 27, 2013 2:09 AM
Review by Mikeodean (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: Medicine kept me from sleep. It had the opposite effect.

February 17, 2013 11:02 PM
Review by MDKPS: User Rating:

doxepin for Irritable Bowel Syndrome: I have battled stomach pains so bad it sent me to the ER. tests were run and always the same thing, liver enzymes up off the chart or sugar levels not right, white blood cell extremely high, but by the next morning everything was back to normal. Sometimes I didn't eat for a day or even weeks. I suffered for 13 years without any doctor saying a word about irritable bowel syndrome, I was the one that took it to my doctor and he put me on doxepin and within 24 hours I felt like a new person, can eat a normal diet and go where I want and live life again. Started with 25mg and only because it made me drowsy the second month I went to 10 mg, I love it! Thank You.

January 18, 2013 12:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

doxepin for Insomnia: Doxepin was prescribed to me by my neurologist as an adjunct therapy with Topamax for migraine prevention. I have only been on this for four months; two severe migraines! One trigger is lack of sleep. I have terrible insomnia. And if I do sleep, I sleep walk. Doxepin keeps me calm, migraine free, asleep and most of all I could have done with the weight gain.

August 17, 2012 2:09 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

doxepin for Depression: I started taking Doxepin for depression and insomnia. It seems to work good for both. I have not experienced any side effects so far.I had been taking Zoloft for depression and felt like a robot, no feelings at all. I take 2, 10mg at night about an hour before I'm ready to go to sleep. If I don't go to sleep, I take 1 more. So far I'm happy with the medicine as it works for depression and insomnia.

July 12, 2012 11:35 PM
Page 1 2 3 4 Next

Watch this video series to learn about managing severe allergies (anaphylaxis).