User Reviews for Doxepin

Also known as: Adapin, Silenor, Sinequan

Learn more about Doxepin.

Irritable Bowel Syndrome 2 reviews 137 medications

6.9
Reflex Sympathetic Dystrophy Syndrome 1 reviews 2 medications

Summary of Doxepin reviews 162 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Doxepin

For Insomnia: "I took this medicine at 11 p.m., asleep a little after midnight, and woke at 3:20 a.m.. I have been awake since then, it is now 4:18, and I still cannot fall back asleep! The first night I took it, it did the something plus a side of anxiety attacks. Thought I'd give it a try again, but nope, no more of this! Smh!"

Sleepless in Az (taken for less than 1 month) May 27, 2016

For Insomnia: "I have severe sleep problems and now take 50mg of doxepin nightly. I fall asleep and stay asleep. I have tried numerous other meds and most either don't work or work for only a short period of time, this has not been a problem with doxepin."

BSFMI (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2016

For Irritable Bowel Syndrome: "Had symptoms of IBS D for years, after a bout with a bad colon infection. Following many tests, medication trials that all failed, a great GI specialist suggested doxepin, it was a miracle. Try it, it's cheap, few side effects, and it's effective!"

PamJo (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 23, 2016

For Depression: "Took care of my depression, insomnia, and IBS"

Inakldy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

For Insomnia: "Low dose doxepin did not help at all with my insomnia. I tried doses from 5mg to 20mg and it never helped with either falling asleep or staying asleep. Side effects: very dry mouth, sore throat, headache. On the plus side it's very inexpensive and I was able to discontinue it without any withdrawal effects."

StillSleepless (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "Tried this pill last night. Did sleep pretty well but very hungover in the morning. It is just not worth it. Can't function normally today. I was taking Ativan which was great but the doctor will not prescribe it any more. Can't believe that one little pill can make me feel so awful. I will never take it again!!"

Judeler May 10, 2016

For Urticaria: "I've been taking 10mg for several months now, for chronic itching. It has helped ALOT although it has not gone away my doctor told me it will take time but eventually it will get better. It makes me very drowsy but I've gotten use to it now"

LoveJade May 9, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "I tried the 3 mg dose last night. I slept worse than when I take nothing. I felt so agitated and miserable. Tossed and turned all night. Will not take it again!"

Needshuteye (taken for less than 1 month) May 4, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Been using it for about 5 months and it has been a miracle worker until recently. A few weeks ago started having random sleepless nights. This week has been terrible waking up after 3-4 hours and feeling wide awake. Not sure if my body is getting used to it but I thought I'd check the reviews to see if anyone else has had the same problem. I hope this is a fluke because Silenor really had changed my life and even though it was expensive it was worth being able to function the next day."

PHick April 21, 2016

For Insomnia: "Too strong for me; slept for 10+ hours and felt groggy for most of the next day when I took it. Is worth a try if you suffer from severe insomnia- because in that regard, it did work."

Kbird91 April 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "Have been taking doxepin 10mg for sleep for at least 10 years. When I found this, I felt like I might actually manage life. Have problems staying asleep since onset of menopause and doxepin really helps. Since I am overweight my doctor will only prescribe for me to take every other night as he believes it causes weight gain. We disagree on this subject."

mskrazy April 17, 2016

For Depression: "Has many years of problems with depression, anxiety , derealization etc. Eventually learned these all related to Complex Multiple Trauma. But that is another story. Doxepin pretty much the ONLY antidepressant that has ever helped me. Totally a life saver over and over for me. It is HIGHLY calming as well as anti-deprssing. That is because simultaneous to increasing serotonin and norepinephrine, is a beta adrenergic blocker (hence anti fear etc) BUT here is the real amazing thing about Doxepin - it is VERY anti- inflammatory. Neuroinflammation (brain inflammation) is a big issue in mental health problems. Doxepin - out if ALL dregs, addresses this best of all. Search pub med. Doxepin has saved my life many times over several decades."

Adriana77 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 9, 2016

For Insomnia: "Oh dear. I thought I would give Doxepin a try just to compare it to my usual low dose of Amitriptyline and see if I slept any better. I lasted on this (25mg) just one night, and with less than an hour of sleep. It felt more like a stimulant for me and at one stage I thought I might be experiencing a nasty frightening panic attack. I don't know what is was but it didn't agree with me. I find low dose Elavil very sedating next to Doxepin (and more sedating than Mirtazapine). I have never tried Trazodone. Best of luck. :)"

In Shock In Australia (taken for less than 1 month) April 1, 2016

For Insomnia: "Wonderful good sleep...."

f2ffhjh cb no outcast Program (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was experiencing very bad anxiety and was having panic attacks nearly everyday. I also had issues sleeping, I couldn't sleep more than 2 hours at a time. My doctor put me on 75mg once daily at bedtime. I feel like my old self. I am sleeping very well at night and I haven't had a panic attack in 8 months. Doxepin gave me my life back."

Gotribein16 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 20, 2016

For Insomnia: "Doxepin for sleep?. My new psychiatrist has prescribed this drug . New because my previous doctor passed away. That man was a God send for years and years to me. I don't sleep but 4 or 5 hours a night. Broken up 2 hours at a time. But doxepin? Seriously? Is this some kind of cruel joke? Can anyone hear me? I CAN NOT SLEEP!!! HERE I AM RIGHT NOW 2:12AM. Perhaps next he will add melatonin, a warm glass of milk and journaling before bed....lol. Maybe Yoga, chanting and acupuncture. I give up. It has been 47 days now on this drug. My last night of this ridiculousness."

Sleepless in St Louis March 18, 2016

For Insomnia: "I take about 10 milligrams of Doxaprin about four nights a week. I've been doing this for about 8 months now .I don't have trouble falling asleep I have trouble staying asleep and Doxaprin keeps me asleep. I now sleep like a baby on this 4 nights. I don't really build a tolerance up to it like I did with xanax. I find virtually no side effects other than I don't want to get out of bed in the morning but a cup of coffee solves that. Unless there is some long term side effects I don't know about I can't say anything negative about this substance good luck."

Boddie66 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 3, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Worked very well for the first 2 nights then made me toss and turn all night the next 5 nights...way worse a night than if I hadn't taken anything. Not worth Continuing."

Awaken chicago February 23, 2016

For Insomnia: "My doctor prescribed Doxepin 45 mg "at bedtime" to help me move my sleep cycle back to a normal time - it had gradually slipped later and later until I wasn't getting sleepy until 4-6 am. My experience is that Doxepin is useless for this purpose (confirmed by my pharmacist) - it does not help me fall asleep at all, but it will keep me asleep for much longer which unfortunately is just reinforcing my shifted sleep cycle. In addition I've had lots of side-effects, ranging from a mild headache to migraine halos, irritability, anxiety, and worst of all, a 20 point rise in the first blood glucose reading after waking. If your problem is staying asleep this will probably help, but if your problem is falling asleep it's pretty useless,"

Sleepless in Arizona (taken for less than 1 month) February 13, 2016

For Insomnia: "I was prescribed doxepin for my depression and around the time that my doxepin was introduced, I started sleeping worse than I had been ( I had used to be able to fall asleep easily with the trazodone I took, but upon taking the doxepin, I was finding myself unable to even fall asleep) and when the doctor increased the dose because it had stopped working for my depression, I ended up with full blown insomnia where I couldn't fall asleep most days and if I did manage to fall asleep halfway through the night, I couldn't stay asleep. About a week after I stopped the doxepin, my insomnia started going away"

Crickina February 9, 2016

For Urticaria: "After suffering with chronic idiopathic urticaria for 20 years, a new Dr. put me on this old medicine which has a VERY strong antihistamine effect. It stopped the hives dead in their tracks, and now, being on the medication for 22 years, I have yet to ever develop another hive. This medication is a GREAT. I've never used anything even remotely effective as this medication to prevent hives (even steroids wouldn't stop them!). Doctors gave up on me and could never figure what the cause was/is. Doesn't matter now as they completely under control."

Garyloveslucy (taken for 10 years or more) January 29, 2016

Silenor (doxepin) for Insomnia: "Tonight will be my fourth time taking Silenor. The last few nights I have not had a solid sleep. No problem falling asleep but staying asleep is still impossible. First two nights I had very lucid dreams. Waking up only after a couple of hours as I normally do. I'm only taking 3mg, kind of scared to take 6mg. I've taken many other types of sleeping pills and so far, none of them work. I'd give anything for a solid 6-8 hours."

Haven'tSleptInYears (taken for less than 1 month) January 25, 2016

For Urticaria: "Doxepin is a godsend for hives. But I have found several drawbacks for it. First, drowsiness. You need to take it before you go to bed. Probably even just slightly after dinner. Even then you will find yourself sluggish in the morning. Second, since it is an anti depressant, I tend to develop an I don't care attitude with it. My personality is to be that way normally and this exacerbates it. It isn't necessarily bad just something to be aware of. Finally, I find it inhibits weight loss. It doesn't necessarily cause weight gain, but, it causes me to sweat less when exercising. When I get off it I tend to lose weight pretty rapidly. But all the side effects are worth it to be hive free."

Oldstylin January 24, 2016

For Depression: "I was given silenor 3 mg at start to help me stay asleep and also to help with my anxiety and very mild depression... The doxepin in this medication is an anti depressant... My first try of it I felt drunk when I woke up at 3 am and I passed right back to sleep... I noticed within a week I felt a bit more happier and my anxiety has lessened... I feel more happier as well... So the doctor is keeping me on them for a while... It has been almost a year taking silenor... There was a slight weight gain over that period of time 10 lbs over the whole 10 months. I didn't take an entire week of the pills a few months back and boy did I notice.... They say non addictive but I felt sad and depressed... Right back where I was before taking them."

Worth a shot (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 15, 2016

For Depression: "My Dr was unbelievably careless and combined this with another dangerous drug. I nearly died as the result and have contemplated dying well over 100,000 times since. Any positive review of this drug should be highly skeptical of. This is a very dangerous drug that the manufacturers should stop making it, the sooner the better!"

Gonzo22 January 14, 2016