Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Insomnia 441 reviews 102 medications

7.6
Summary of Zolpidem reviews 441 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Zolpidem

Review by JaiCeeEmm:

For Insomnia: This medication has been extremely effective for me with minimal side effects, but I must have time for at least 8 hours of sleep

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 21, 2015 11:45 AM

Review by Quaalude (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Works splendidly when first prescribed but over time loses it's effectiveness and one develops a tolerance to it's effectiveness. Due to it's short half-life in the body, it peters out quite quickly ( /- 2 hours). Would not recommend long-term treatment with this medicine (>6 months).

January 9, 2015 6:48 PM

Review by dhubr:

Zolpimist (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have used it on and off for years. It works SO fast. Get in bed then spray it. Downside is that it tastes really bad but the taste is gone if you drink water afterwards. It also is very useful for traveling and plane rides that are over 4 hrs. It is approved if you only can get 4 hours of sleep. So sometimes when I fly I will spray this and sleep for my 5.5hr plane ride.

December 29, 2014 4:28 AM

Review by jeffreydbrown (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Extremely effective until I developed a tolerance. Unfortunately, it was accompanied by "sleep-shopping" on Ebay.

December 20, 2014 10:14 AM

Review by Rhonda YC (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have used this medicine off and on for 7 years. All of you who have issues with doing things that you don't remember need to be sure that you are taking it properly. I have been there and my 24 year old daughter still laughs at the things I have no memory of.. and I own several things I bought at 2 am. Finally two years ago I found a physician who took the time to explain how this medicine works and it changed everything. You must be lying in bed, "ready to go to sleep", with no lights on at all. Ambien shuts down part of your brain and if you are not waiting to fall asleep lying in bed then after you take it the chemical reaction that allows you to fall asleep so easily also keeps you from remembering things you do. Take it properly.

December 8, 2014 4:19 PM

Review by Donna Marie 113 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: Been taking for 2 months for erratic sleep patterns since I broke back 7 months ago. (Surgeon only gave me Valium to sleep which didn't work.) This stuff is excellent. No grogginess in morning. Doc's office did specifically warn me to take immediately before going to bed. In other words, don't take then decide to fold laundry. If you are still up doing stuff, it is very true, you may not remember.

December 7, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by Anonymous777333 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Ambien works. Not because it's a sleep aid but because it's a HYPNOTIC. Which means if you don't want amnesia then get yourself straight to bed after taking it. It kicks in in 5-10 mins and may or may not keep you asleep all night. But those of you complaining of eating, etc and having no memory of what you did is very simple: taking a HYPNOTIC while you're still up and showering or whatever is going to make you do stupid things you won't remember. Just take it AFTER you lay down, turn off your phone, and you'll be fine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by virginiamlong (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I have had insomnia for about 7 years. I took temazepam (Restoril) for about 3 years, but it eventually quit working entirely so I started taking 10 mg of zolpidem nightly about 4 months ago. It is very good at helping me to go to sleep quickly and I stay asleep about 6 hours but not much longer. I haven't felt any drowsiness the next morning or had any headaches or other side effects. I have learned a few things about zolpidem, though. I cannot eat at all for at least 2 or 3 hours before taking it. Also, I need to go to bed within 15 or 20 minutes after taking it or it doesn't work very well. Lastly, I learned that I can't eat chocolate for at least 5 or 6 hours before taking it because of chocolate's high caffeine content.

December 3, 2014 10:55 PM

Review by Male_24_Caucasian (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Insomnia: I found zolpidem to be extremely effective in the treatment of my insomnia. I didn't feel any short-term side-affects, and I don't believe that it may have produced any long-term ones. As prescribed by my doctor, I didn't use zolpidem on a daily basis, thus, my review should not be taken optimistically by people who do or will take it on a daily basis. I treated zolpidem as an "emergency" complement to my daily dosage of lorazepam. I found it to be most effective when combined with lorazepam, and from personal experience, no short or long-term side-effects ever revealed themselves from such combination.

December 2, 2014 6:40 PM

Review by I am 15 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I've used Ambien for almost two years for my insomnia. It works very effectively.

November 4, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by Militarywife12 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Stayed up all night

October 30, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Babyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Yes, you will sleep. But you will also say and do some really weird things.

October 28, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by scampo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Insomnia: I suffer with sleep duration insomnia. Mostly I fall asleep naturally for two hours then perhaps drop off naturally once more for an hour; after that I wake and cannot fall asleep without zolpidem. The insomnia seems to be caused by general anxiety and a mind that will not stop holding internal conversations even when I am exhausted. I take 1/4 x10mg zolpidem which at best gives three hours sleep; I repeat this at least once over the night. It's been like this for some years with no side effects, tolerance, addiction or rebound insomnia noticeable. Overall this is the best sedative for me as it leaves no drowsiness the next day. My wish would be for a longer sedative action.

October 18, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by K CELT (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have been known to fix a meal, send texts and emails while still asleep. I have also had phone conversations and not remembered having them on waking.,

October 5, 2014 2:33 AM

Review by LadyLayne (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: Some nights after taking the zolpidem I go right to sleep, and have sound, restful sleep for about 2-4hrs. Twice during my current bout of insomnia I have slept a full 10hrs after taking the zolpidem. I have had some positive experience, and some negative. However, I have bouts of insomnia once or twice a year; the past Zolpidem is worked really well, within few nights. I am not on week four of the insomnia, and three on the Zolpidem. I am working closely with my doctor.

September 25, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by HKGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: When I got prescribed Ambien I started with 5mg and it worked but I only slept for 4 hrs. So the following night I took 10mg and I was asleep in no time and got a full 9hrs of sleep. Best night ever in years. I woke up feeling refreshed. Minor headache but I don't know if it was due to the Ambien. 1 Tylenol pill took it away so no biggie. This is the only sleep pill that has helped me. I tried Restroil and Seroquel and got no sleep only bad side effects. I love Ambien.

September 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by willowhouse:

For Insomnia: I was prescribed this for insomnia. First night it worked well. After that, I only got a few hours sleep, which is what I got before taking it. The side effects were horrible. Nervousness, trouble urinating, constipation and chills. I'll stick with OTC medication. They do as well without the side effects.

September 10, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by Bubsie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: It helped me sleep, but I did the most bizarre things while I should have been sleeping and had no memory of them the next day. I initiated sex with my husband twice and had no memory of doing so, called and order things that I had no use for to some shopping networks and even gave out my credit card numbers to open an account. This stuff scares me and I quit taking it. Worried what I could do next!

September 8, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by cannot sleep:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: First 2 weeks it kept me asleep. 3rd week on I wake up with headaches and don't go back to sleep. Its 2 am and I'm wide awake.

September 4, 2014 3:14 AM

Review by Robb32:

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for : My problem isn't getting to sleep..it's STAYING asleep. I have found that after trying Lunesta (nasty-nasty aftertaste for an entire day afterwards..and the hangover!) I much prefer Ambien but it has to be "CR" ...and crystal clear the next day. Never had any problem with after effects..ever. Problem is..Dr stopped prescribing sleep aides as too addictive, however even after reminding him that the last bottle of 50 lasted me about three years..he still wasn't willing. This needs to be over the counter.

September 1, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by John Marsh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: It helped me a lot. One pill and I sleep like a baby.

August 26, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Morgan Danielle.:

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I have GAD (generalized anxiety), post traumatic stress disorder and Bipolar. I've been on Seroquel for three years. I kept having to up it to help me sleep, as well as keeping away delusions and such. I was at the point where it wouldn't help me sleep at all. I'd take it at 10 and go to bed when the sun was coming up. I tried Ambien 10mg last night for the first time. I fell asleep in one hour. I was out! I slept a good 10 hours. Amen for Ambien.

June 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Great, mild sleeping pill (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem) for Insomnia: I'm 19 and suffer from bad insomnia. I've tried Benadryl, Unisom, even a different prescription sleeping pill, Restoril (temazepam). These all either didn't work or left me extremely groggy in the morning and throughout the day. Anyway, I was scheduled to study abroad and my worst fear the entire trip was not sleeping in a foreign atmosphere. My Dr. prescribed me a few weeks worth of Ambien 10 MG. I can't tell you how great this medication was. It drifted me off to a gentle, deep sleep and I stayed asleep for at least 7 hours. I woke up happy and refreshed In the morning; even energized! I took the high dose and did not experience any side effects or hallucinations. I was able to enjoy my trip.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 2, 2014 6:04 AM

Review by FADAC:

For Insomnia: I have always had sleep problems even as a kid. Sometimes it was bad sometimes it wasn't. Developed severe insomnia after getting off Duragesic patches for fibromyalgia (the doctor didn't bring me off wisely). Have been on zolpidem for about 8 weeks. It works great but occasionally I have a weird dream, usually the same one. I also slobber alot. But I get so much better sleep. I feel better than I have in about five years. The only downside is that my reading has taken a hit since I go to sleep quickly and don't wake up during the middle of the night. I do want to get off the medicine if I can but the three days I stayed awake coming off the Duragesic was a nightmare that I would like to avoid again (I'm not young anymore).

May 30, 2014 1:33 PM

Review by Stephen G (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien CR (zolpidem) for Insomnia: This medication made me feel as though I could not breathe. I was up all night. I took it at 9 p.m. and went straight to bed. I began having the hot flush feeling and felt as I had pressure on my chest. I have been taking the 10 mg but wake up in 2-3 hours. This was a living nightmare taking the 12.5 CR. If you have any respiratory issues, do not take.

May 29, 2014 1:32 PM