User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Zolpidem review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Review by I am 15 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): I've used Ambien for almost two years for my insomnia. It works very effectively.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 4, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by Militarywife12 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): Stayed up all night

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Babyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): Yes, you will sleep. But you will also say and do some really weird things.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 28, 2014 7:28 PM

Review by scampo (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I suffer with sleep duration insomnia. Mostly I fall asleep naturally for two hours then perhaps drop off naturally once more for an hour; after that I wake and cannot fall asleep without zolpidem. The insomnia seems to be caused by general anxiety and a mind that will not stop holding internal conversations even when I am exhausted. I take 1/4 x10mg zolpidem which at best gives three hours sleep; I repeat this at least once over the night. It's been like this for some years with no side effects, tolerance, addiction or rebound insomnia noticeable. Overall this is the best sedative for me as it leaves no drowsiness the next day. My wish would be for a longer sedative action.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by K CELT (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): I have been known to fix a meal, send texts and emails while still asleep. I have also had phone conversations and not remembered having them on waking.,

October 5, 2014 2:33 AM

Review by LadyLayne (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): Some nights after taking the zolpidem I go right to sleep, and have sound, restful sleep for about 2-4hrs. Twice during my current bout of insomnia I have slept a full 10hrs after taking the zolpidem. I have had some positive experience, and some negative. However, I have bouts of insomnia once or twice a year; the past Zolpidem is worked really well, within few nights. I am not on week four of the insomnia, and three on the Zolpidem. I am working closely with my doctor.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 8:27 PM

Review by HKGirl (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): When I got prescribed Ambien I started with 5mg and it worked but I only slept for 4 hrs. So the following night I took 10mg and I was asleep in no time and got a full 9hrs of sleep. Best night ever in years. I woke up feeling refreshed. Minor headache but I don't know if it was due to the Ambien. 1 Tylenol pill took it away so no biggie. This is the only sleep pill that has helped me. I tried Restroil and Seroquel and got no sleep only bad side effects. I love Ambien.

September 19, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by willowhouse:

I was prescribed this for insomnia. First night it worked well. After that, I only got a few hours sleep, which is what I got before taking it. The side effects were horrible. Nervousness, trouble urinating, constipation and chills. I'll stick with OTC medication. They do as well without the side effects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 9:30 PM

Review by Bubsie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ambien (zolpidem): It helped me sleep, but I did the most bizarre things while I should have been sleeping and had no memory of them the next day. I initiated sex with my husband twice and had no memory of doing so, called and order things that I had no use for to some shopping networks and even gave out my credit card numbers to open an account. This stuff scares me and I quit taking it. Worried what I could do next!

September 8, 2014 9:54 AM

Review by cannot sleep:

Ambien (zolpidem): First 2 weeks it kept me asleep. 3rd week on I wake up with headaches and don't go back to sleep. Its 2 am and I'm wide awake.

September 4, 2014 3:14 AM

Review by John Marsh (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ambien (zolpidem): It helped me a lot. One pill and I sleep like a baby.

August 26, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Morgan Danielle.:

Ambien (zolpidem): I have GAD (generalized anxiety), post traumatic stress disorder and Bipolar. I've been on Seroquel for three years. I kept having to up it to help me sleep, as well as keeping away delusions and such. I was at the point where it wouldn't help me sleep at all. I'd take it at 10 and go to bed when the sun was coming up. I tried Ambien 10mg last night for the first time. I fell asleep in one hour. I was out! I slept a good 10 hours. Amen for Ambien.

June 7, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Great, mild sleeping pill (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): I'm 19 and suffer from bad insomnia. I've tried Benadryl, Unisom, even a different prescription sleeping pill, Restoril (temazepam). These all either didn't work or left me extremely groggy in the morning and throughout the day. Anyway, I was scheduled to study abroad and my worst fear the entire trip was not sleeping in a foreign atmosphere. My Dr. prescribed me a few weeks worth of Ambien 10 MG. I can't tell you how great this medication was. It drifted me off to a gentle, deep sleep and I stayed asleep for at least 7 hours. I woke up happy and refreshed In the morning; even energized! I took the high dose and did not experience any side effects or hallucinations. I was able to enjoy my trip.

June 2, 2014 6:04 AM

Review by FADAC:

I have always had sleep problems even as a kid. Sometimes it was bad sometimes it wasn't. Developed severe insomnia after getting off Duragesic patches for fibromyalgia (the doctor didn't bring me off wisely). Have been on zolpidem for about 8 weeks. It works great but occasionally I have a weird dream, usually the same one. I also slobber alot. But I get so much better sleep. I feel better than I have in about five years. The only downside is that my reading has taken a hit since I go to sleep quickly and don't wake up during the middle of the night. I do want to get off the medicine if I can but the three days I stayed awake coming off the Duragesic was a nightmare that I would like to avoid again (I'm not young anymore).

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 30, 2014 1:33 PM

Review by Stephen G (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien CR (zolpidem): This medication made me feel as though I could not breathe. I was up all night. I took it at 9 p.m. and went straight to bed. I began having the hot flush feeling and felt as I had pressure on my chest. I have been taking the 10 mg but wake up in 2-3 hours. This was a living nightmare taking the 12.5 CR. If you have any respiratory issues, do not take.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 1:32 PM

Review by Brittanyz123 (taken for 10 years or more):

Ambien (zolpidem): I think it's great. I've been doing it for about 11 years, and it's one of the only medicine for insomnia that work for me.

May 18, 2014 3:31 AM

Review by FentanylBliss (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ambien (zolpidem): It works great putting me to sleep but it doesn't keep me asleep unfortunately. I only tend to get 2 hours of sleep or so.

May 7, 2014 7:32 PM

Review by liesel h 569:

I have taken this for four nights. I even doubled the dosage out of desperation. It's been three hours and I'm still awake. Completely frustrating.

April 2, 2014 5:18 AM

Review by Chelseymegan:

Ambien (zolpidem): I was never able to sleep through the night until my doctor prescribed Ambien.

March 19, 2014 3:12 AM

Review by naybay91:

Ambien (zolpidem): I can take 2 Ambien and be wide awake. I tried melatonin, ZZZ Quil, Unisom.. sometimes take my Valium at bedtime. My sleep cycle got messed up and I'm trying desperately to get it back.

March 18, 2014 2:08 AM

Review by epidoctor (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): Works fine but the rebound insomnia can be awful. Used sparingly it can be a useful medicine. Once again, watch for the rebound insomnia.

March 12, 2014 12:07 AM

Review by insomiac:

Ambien (zolpidem): I've had horrible insomnia since I was a child. Diagnosed with severe sleep apnea a few years ago. Ambien is not the holy grail. You build up a tolerance over the years but 12.5 is as high as most doctors will go ) from 10, 8 years ago). Pluses for Ambien - it will put you to sleep; no half-life so no grogginess in the morning. Minuses- it will put you to sleep but generally not keep you asleep. Thus the waking up wide awake at 3 a.m. There is now intermezzo - and sublingual 3.5 dose of Ambien meant for this problem - works for me 50% of the time- otherwise I just stay up. Another minus - if you take Ambien on a full stomach IT WILL NOT WORK. I generally eat before 5 and allow 5 hours before I take it. But in all - a savior!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2014 12:44 AM

Review by DebbieGrateful (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): Ambien has been a huge help to me. I have horrible hot flashes whenever I try to fall asleep and end up awake all night. When I take half an Ambien I am able to fall asleep and I do not feel tired or out of it the next day. I am so grateful for this medication. It's helped the quality of my life substantially. I've never experienced the side effects others mention, I simply fall asleep.

February 27, 2014 12:57 PM

Review by April angel (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): I find plates/bowls with food on them in the night.

February 19, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by diva0226:

Ambien (zolpidem): Great. Just take them 5 mins before bed.

February 17, 2014 12:30 AM