User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Zolpidem Rating Summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 83 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was diagnosed with Chronic Insomnia about 5 months ago. Doctor prescribed Ambien. It works wonders. I discovered that for me, once I take it, I cannot communicate on any social media websites, because the next day when I go back and read what I wrote, it's a bunch of gibberish. My routine, I take an Ambien, get in the bed and read a little, before I know it, I'm waking up in the morning not realizing I even feel asleep. My only issue is, the pills are prescribed in bottles of 21 pills, one bottle with two additional refills. If I don't schedule my follow - up Sleep Appointment right, I'll be stuck with a few days with no medicine like I am now while typing this, lol. It is after 12 am and I'm WIDE AWAKE."

SleeplessInSanAntonio February 8, 2016

"I have been taking Ambien or its generic since it first came out in samples at my doctors office. I quickly graduated from 5 mg to 10mg and have been on it ever since. The brief period of time that my insurance didn't cover it, there was no relief for me. They tried tranxene (pharmacist said insurance co recommended) and that was a joke. I too am a chronic insomniac with chronic migraines and no sleep equals migraine. 2 years ago my family Dr cut me back to 5mg ( due to the " women shouldn't take 10mg) insomnia and migraines raged to new limits. returned to 10mg. Even during my brief hospital stays over the past few years, the nurses do NOT need to put a bed alarm etc on me because I suffer from ZERO side effects. This is a lifesaver"

ms_optical (taken for 10 years or more) February 6, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've been taking Ambien (10mg) off and on for years. It tends to stop working if I start taking it too often, so I have to take breaks from it periodically. That's the only negative thing I have to say about it. When it works, it works perfectly and I've experienced no side effects."

Serene Celine (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 6, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "It is a good cure long as you don't abuse your meds and it will help your sleeping. No problems. Simple as that. Night all."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 2, 2016

"I have been taking Ambien for about 15 years. Yes it is addictive and habit-forming. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone because of that. It seems qualitest has discontinued its manufacturing. The teva and mylan brands are rubbish."

Jake chalk dust February 1, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was admitted to a hospital cardiac care unit following an MI. I received Ambien and woke up from sleep profoundly confused and hostile. I ripped out of my arms and legs all the IV and EKG leads, and then left my bed, marching to the double doors of the CCU. Female nurses were screaming, for I was naked and bloody from the leads being torn away from my body. The bravest man I ever met was a young CNA who stepped in front of me, telling me "You cannot leave the CCU." Considerably shorter and lighter than me, his action was totally courageous, given that I was in a temporary, drug-induced altered mental state. I recall only vaguely warning him that I would throw him against the wall if he blocked me. I awakened, embarrassed, ashamed."

VERDANT71 January 31, 2016

"I have been on Zolpidem 10mg for about 5 years now. Works great for me. I have no side effects. Actually makes me feel loopy so I get a great nights sleep! Helps with my anxiety also."

RECZm January 30, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "I have been taking this drug for about 4 years. Went in depression anxiety, and chronic insomnia. I take 5 mg when I do take it and it works very well for me. I have never experienced any of the horror stories that others have. It immediately improved my mood, depression and anxiety as it finally allowed me to sleep. I try not to take it more than 3 times a week to avoid dependency on it. Sometimes I go weeks without it, sometimes 2 weeks straight on it due to situational anxiety."

Sleepless in Detroit (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 24, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "Have had sleep problems last 10 years or so. Went to sleep clinic, apparently I do not fall into deep sleep stage. Doctor put me on Ambien 5mg. Wonderful. I slept all night and felt great next day! Fast forward 4 months. End up being tested for Lupus, Lyme disease and bloodwork galore because of muscle and joint pain that would show up in different places and I was suffering EXTREME tiredness and weakness during day. All tests negative so doctor wanted me to stop taking Ambien and switched me to trazadone. Been a week now. So far so good but insomnia is back. Will NOT be continuing trazadone. Causing excessive pvc's and feels like my heart is going to burst out of my chest. Does NOT help me sleep even a little. Sad about the Ambien."

Bassett eyes January 22, 2016

"I have had sleep issues for years and years. I took ambien (zolidem) for a couple years with some success then not. Now I will take 15 mg if I am in dire need of a nap or on an airplane. I will get 1-2 hours of sleep on that much med and wake up feeling great. Very strange, but that's my experience."

sleepless1too January 21, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "Ambien definitely puts me to sleep quickly and keeps me asleep. However, it has made me do crazy things without remembering the next morning. I have taken more than the recommended dose while sleep walking, cut 3 inches off my hair, drove my car, many different things. I would love this medicine if I just didn't act crazy because it really does work."

Alison3312 January 13, 2016

"I've just took zopiderm 10mg about hour and half ago mouth feels a bit dry I still don't feel very sleepy I will let know the outcome tomorrow. Thanks"

Weeme (taken for less than 1 month) January 11, 2016

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I've tried many sleep aids. I'm currently taking a generic AMBIEN-CR 12.5mg. I had previously used both Brand name and generic versions of AMBIEN 10mg. I'm disappointed with AMBIEN & AMBIEN-CR. I've read horror stories of blackouts, falling into deep sleep within minutes of ingesting and even that the dose requirements have been reduced. Despite the alleged powerful effects of AMBIEN and AMBIEN-CR, I find it to be modestly effective for sleep. Regular, immediate-release AMBIEN 10mg would only help me sleep for /- 3 hours."

opioidtx (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 8, 2016

"This drug is fine if not manufactured by Teva. Teva is not a good company and this drug has no effect under them. Save your money."

Steve Naus (taken for less than 1 month) January 7, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "If you take this right before you're going to bed you'll be fine. Don't take it when you still have stuff to do. I take ambien and Zoloft every night right when I'm getting into bed. It doesn't knock me out or anything but it does help me fall asleep faster and stay asleep for more hours."

AsM081 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 7, 2016

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I've taken both ambien and ambien CR. it caused interesting side effects from day one. I found that whatever was on my mind before taking the meds (I.e. I had to do laundry/clean the house the next day or go to a sale) I'd end up getting up and doing them that night before falling asleep and not even remember it the next day!! I would vacuum at 2am, cook whole meals, get in my car to go to a tech store sale and come home with 100 movies (some 2 or 3 copies!)! My husband didn't mind the extra wild sex! It would have been nice if I would have remembered it too! The last straw for me was when a close family member passed away, I couldn't get rest so I took one to help. A month later, I found I had an accident I didn't remember! Be careful!"

No sleeping mama January 5, 2016

Ambien (zolpidem): "You can do things and not remember them. You will tell awful stories about squirrels jumping out of glass boxes, and say things to your spouse/significant other you don't mean if you try to TALK while on this drug. So by all means do not take until the very last thing before sleep, i.e. you are in bed, ready for sleep. It kicks in super fast and you won't know what hit you. You only get 5 to 6 hours of sleep on Ambien but you feel rested with no druggie zombie after feeling. Note to single parents taking this drug: you will be worthless in an emergency situation and helpless to assist your children in a fire, a break-in, a trip to the ER at 1 a.m. (never drive on this drug!!!)"

ErinF.70 December 27, 2015

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I have severe insomnia and Ambien CR has worked very well for me. Previously, I tried the Ambien IR and while it did knock me out for a good 3-4 hours, it didn't help me to stay asleep and the Ambien CR does just that. My only complaint is some days I seem to very drowsy and sluggish, but most of the time I wake up feeling refreshed and ready tackle the day."

Brady1992 December 20, 2015

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was prescribed this by my doctor as a result of being bi-polar and being up for days on end. Ambien is definitely a tremendous sleep inducer. After a few minutes you wouldn't know if you were dead or alive. I was probably on 5 mg for about a year. When I was on a bi-polar "high" I could three pills and only sleep a couple of hours. I often felt groggy or drugged the next day using this product. I quit taking this product as a result of weird and unexplained behavior. One time I woke up with no clothes on and couldn't find them. I never slept naked bcuz I was single and had a 17 year old. Scary stuff. u don't know what ur doing on this stuff."

ScarySleeper (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 18, 2015

Ambien (zolpidem): "Taking ambien as (exactly) prescribed has been a tremendous help to me. I get sleep, without waking up several times a night. I feel refreshed for a day of anything!"

CRYSTALBALL2418 December 15, 2015

Ambien (zolpidem): "My parents have taken this drug for over 20 years since I was a child. They did some weird things and got in 2 bad car accidents over it. You do have bad memory loss with it and it is life changing with relationships with other people. I wrote this review though to let people know that it is EXTREMELY ADDICTIVE AND HABIT FORMING. I took 10 mg one night after a surgery to sleep and then wasn't able to sleep at all for 2 days (withdrawal), everyone I've asked has said the same thing. It does give you the munchies to the extreme IKN why. If you plan in taking this medication know what your getting into and try something else first before starting this. It will be costly in the long run."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) December 13, 2015

Ambien (zolpidem): "Had started to experience insomnia about ten years ago after a shoulder injury, even after that healed I had a horrible time getting to sleep, I could not turn my mind off. I was prescribed this medication and had some initial side effects but the medication works for me. I think I have became addicted to it, there have been some days I did not take it or could not afford it and when that happened I could not fall asleep. Ambien gives me a good night's rest and I wake up feeling refreshed."

Trenchycoat December 11, 2015

Ambien (zolpidem): "I was put on Ambien because of my anxiety and depression, I wasn't able to sleep more than an hour or 2 a night. I took the Ambien 5mg for about a week and I had horrible indigestion the whole time and on top of that I still only slept 4-5 hours a night tops. And I have been off them for almost a week and I'm still having horrible stomach pains and possibly a swollen liver."

SolaireOfAstora (taken for less than 1 month) December 10, 2015

Ambien (zolpidem): "I've been in this medication since 1998 to 2015. I've been on it and off from it but I will warn people with diagnosed depression or PTSD not to take it too long. I've gone from stripping my clothes off and thinking I was going to bed. Munchies galore. Ate a whole cake without blinking. Bad idea since my cholesterol is sky high list goes on. I asked several Drs if overeating was a side effect. Led to believe it was only me. Burned half my arm cooking and only said, "Ouch, I burned my arm." Went to bed and had to get treated for the burn. It left a scar. Every time I take it my depression escalates even with antidepressants. I seriously saw dead people and spoke to them. Relayed exactly what they wore and said to my kids. Bad reactions."

gyms55 (taken for 10 years or more) December 3, 2015

Ambien CR (zolpidem): "I have Insomnia due the past 10 years and have been using Zolpidem (Ambien's generic) 10 mg. I find that it take me anywhere from 1 hour to 1 1/2 hours before I am ready to lie down. When I finally go to bed I will sleep anywhere from 8-10 hours and wake up refreshed."

Howie Vegas (taken for 10 years or more) November 28, 2015