Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Zolpidem

Also known as: Ambien, Ambien CR, Edluar, Intermezzo, Zolpimist

Learn more about Zolpidem.

Zolpidem review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Zolpidem to treat Insomnia

Review by auntie maureen (taken for 10 years or more):

I take Ambien once a night...so long as I don't eat 2 hours or less before I take it...it seems to work great. I get a good 9 hours sleep. If I eat after I take it then it only makes me sleepy..not enough to fall asleep. So I don't eat before or after and I have great results. When I first started taking Ambien, I had bad dreams and nightmare. I even sleep walk and drive and did not remember a thing...but that stopped about 2 years after taking them..scary! You have to control the medicine..not let it control you. I've been taking since 1997 and still taking them.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2015 12:55 AM

Review by Taytay5:

I have been taking zolpidem and it works very well can you order it online

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2015 9:25 AM

Review by LittleJoey (taken for less than 1 month):

2-3hrs sleep per night for the last 2mths. Took 10mg Zolpidem last night and had a full 8hrs of uninterrupted sleep. Slight headache today but other than that feel great.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 8:26 AM

Review by winston the wonder PUPPY (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): Awesome. I have terrible insomnia. This helps me get a decent nights rest as I care for a disabled parent=bedbownd and wheelchair. I get a good nights sleep and both of our days are more productive.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 11, 2015 3:32 AM

Review by Jessicaxoxo:

Ambien CR (zolpidem): This is the only thing that I have tried that helps me sleep a full 8 hours. I love this medication. I have had no sleep walking and I have not done anything that I can't remember. The only side effects I have had are just feeling a little tired during the day and increased appetite. I would definitely recommend this medication to people with insomnia.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 4, 2015 8:30 AM

Review by vandekamp (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ambien (zolpidem): Works great

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2015 3:01 PM

Review by Marty922 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): No sleep as yet, 10mg Ambien last night 20 tonight! Last night I fell asleep after about 4 hours (normal for me with or without meds) I woke up fealing really rather strange, lethargic almost. Passes after 2-3hours with coffee! tonight on 20mg it's been 3 hours so far! Light headache very restless.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 28, 2015 8:55 PM

Review by KimAMS:

Ambien (zolpidem): This medicine helped me to fall asleep after a solid week without sleep. However, I did not stay asleep. Going to try Lunesta tonight.

March 21, 2015 5:35 PM

Review by jerseyjim (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): Due to a painful disability the only way to sleep is with the use of Ambien. I give Ambien a two thumbs up, AAA , it works terrific for me.

February 11, 2015 12:39 AM

Review by Debbieformola:

Ambien (zolpidem): I have been taking Ambien every night for a over 20 years. I am a nurse and it's very difficult to work swing shift and teach yourself to sleep whenever ..esp if you suffer from insomnia. I have had insomnia since a child, probably sleep walking. Sleep eating prior to taking the medicine. Now that I have it ..my life has improved 200 percent .No one can imaging how disturbing it is to lie in bed for 8 hours wide awake ...knowing you have work soon. When I first took it, I was groggy in the morning ..but now as long as I get 8 hours I wake up feeling awake and amazing ..never grew a tolerance for it. Always works. I will say when I had children under 5 ..I would never take it ...not safe ..when you are caring for others .this med saved me.

February 1, 2015 7:58 PM

Review by coxysmelons93 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Truly the only thing (bar Mirtazapine at one point) that has ever worked for my severe (sometimes up 1-2 entire nights in a row) and chronic insomnia (nearly a decade). It doesn't make me as drowsy in the morning as Mirtazapine which is great because then I can have a more normal sleeping pattern. I do have some really weird kind of scary side effects including minor hallucinations (like stuff moving round the room, person on a poster looked like they were dancing, face shapes in curtains swaying etc.) and feeling a bit high. However, even with these side effects it is still worth it if nothing else has worked.

January 24, 2015 1:33 PM

Review by craftygrammy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): It works to put me asleep, too well! I was told by my husband that I was doing stuff I don't remember doing. One time I became sexually aggressive and last night, I didn't recognize my husband and was doing stuff totally off the wall. I will not be taking it again!

January 21, 2015 7:53 PM

Review by JaiCeeEmm:

This medication has been extremely effective for me with minimal side effects, but I must have time for at least 8 hours of sleep

January 21, 2015 11:45 AM

Review by LouLaBell:

Ambien (zolpidem): Ditto on rebound sleepless when discontinued. I have done very strange things with no memory including taking additional Ambien. It has helped me sleep when under extreme stress but watch out. Now I am trying to learn how to sleep naturally.

January 13, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Quaalude (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ambien (zolpidem): Works splendidly when first prescribed but over time loses it's effectiveness and one develops a tolerance to it's effectiveness. Due to it's short half-life in the body, it peters out quite quickly ( /- 2 hours). Would not recommend long-term treatment with this medicine (>6 months).

January 9, 2015 6:48 PM

Review by dhubr:

Zolpimist (zolpidem): I have used it on and off for years. It works SO fast. Get in bed then spray it. Downside is that it tastes really bad but the taste is gone if you drink water afterwards. It also is very useful for traveling and plane rides that are over 4 hrs. It is approved if you only can get 4 hours of sleep. So sometimes when I fly I will spray this and sleep for my 5.5hr plane ride.

December 29, 2014 4:28 AM

Review by jeffreydbrown (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): Extremely effective until I developed a tolerance. Unfortunately, it was accompanied by "sleep-shopping" on Ebay.

December 20, 2014 10:14 AM

Review by Rhonda YC (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): I have used this medicine off and on for 7 years. All of you who have issues with doing things that you don't remember need to be sure that you are taking it properly. I have been there and my 24 year old daughter still laughs at the things I have no memory of.. and I own several things I bought at 2 am. Finally two years ago I found a physician who took the time to explain how this medicine works and it changed everything. You must be lying in bed, "ready to go to sleep", with no lights on at all. Ambien shuts down part of your brain and if you are not waiting to fall asleep lying in bed then after you take it the chemical reaction that allows you to fall asleep so easily also keeps you from remembering things you do. Take it properly.

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 8, 2014 4:19 PM

Review by Donna Marie 113 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Been taking for 2 months for erratic sleep patterns since I broke back 7 months ago. (Surgeon only gave me Valium to sleep which didn't work.) This stuff is excellent. No grogginess in morning. Doc's office did specifically warn me to take immediately before going to bed. In other words, don't take then decide to fold laundry. If you are still up doing stuff, it is very true, you may not remember.

December 7, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by Anonymous777333 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): Ambien works. Not because it's a sleep aid but because it's a HYPNOTIC. Which means if you don't want amnesia then get yourself straight to bed after taking it. It kicks in in 5-10 mins and may or may not keep you asleep all night. But those of you complaining of eating, etc and having no memory of what you did is very simple: taking a HYPNOTIC while you're still up and showering or whatever is going to make you do stupid things you won't remember. Just take it AFTER you lay down, turn off your phone, and you'll be fine.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 4, 2014 9:36 PM

Review by virginiamlong (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have had insomnia for about 7 years. I took temazepam (Restoril) for about 3 years, but it eventually quit working entirely so I started taking 10 mg of zolpidem nightly about 4 months ago. It is very good at helping me to go to sleep quickly and I stay asleep about 6 hours but not much longer. I haven't felt any drowsiness the next morning or had any headaches or other side effects. I have learned a few things about zolpidem, though. I cannot eat at all for at least 2 or 3 hours before taking it. Also, I need to go to bed within 15 or 20 minutes after taking it or it doesn't work very well. Lastly, I learned that I can't eat chocolate for at least 5 or 6 hours before taking it because of chocolate's high caffeine content.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 3, 2014 10:55 PM

Review by Male_24_Caucasian (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I found zolpidem to be extremely effective in the treatment of my insomnia. I didn't feel any short-term side-affects, and I don't believe that it may have produced any long-term ones. As prescribed by my doctor, I didn't use zolpidem on a daily basis, thus, my review should not be taken optimistically by people who do or will take it on a daily basis. I treated zolpidem as an "emergency" complement to my daily dosage of lorazepam. I found it to be most effective when combined with lorazepam, and from personal experience, no short or long-term side-effects ever revealed themselves from such combination.

December 2, 2014 6:40 PM

Review by I am 15 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): I've used Ambien for almost two years for my insomnia. It works very effectively.

November 4, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by Militarywife12 (taken for less than 1 month):

Ambien (zolpidem): Stayed up all night

October 30, 2014 10:47 PM

Review by Babyy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ambien (zolpidem): Yes, you will sleep. But you will also say and do some really weird things.

October 28, 2014 7:28 PM