User Reviews for Temazepam

Also known as: Restoril

Learn more about Temazepam.

Temazepam review summary

7.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 74 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Temazepam to treat Insomnia

Review by QuailMama: User Rating:

temazepam: Temazepam works fantastic for insomnia. I am not really sure why I developed insomnia; It just happened. If you don't mind using a prescription medicine, it's the best for insomnia. No side effects to report, and no next-day drowsiness. I use the lowest dose- 7.5mg, with melatonin, because melatonin is a powerful antioxidant, and I sleep great, feeling refreshed in the morning. I thank God for both temazepam and melatonin.

February 28, 2014 3:01 AM
Review by fn: User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): This is the best sleeping pill I've ever tried. 30 years now, and still no tolerance issues. I wake up refreshed, no hangover, unlike all the other sleeping pills, as temazepam is very mild, yet it keeps you asleep. I take 15 or 30 mg, depending how I feel. I have tried Halcion and Dalmane, which weren't very effective. I also tried Ambien in the mid 90s and had horrible sleepwalking episodes. This has never happened with Restoril.

January 21, 2014 9:38 AM
Review by slumber 52: User Rating:

temazepam: By 3rd night of use, it became ineffective. My system built up tolerance quickly. Fourth night I took 40 mgs and only 4 hours of sleep. Dr. just prescribed a months worth. Now I must find an alternative while I ween myself off temazepam. Not easy since I wasn't getting any sleep at all before I started.

December 28, 2013 8:15 AM
Review by slumber 52 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): For months been having severe insomnia. Waking 3 or 4 times during the night, never getting more than 4 hours of sleep. Twice in the span of a week and a half no sleep at all. Always feeling tired but not drowsy. I was given prescription for 10.-15mg of Restoril by an ER doctor. Took half a dose one afternoon and slept for 3 hours. Took the other half that early evening and knocked out after 20 minutes and slept for 6 hours. No side effects. Feeling better.

December 25, 2013 11:03 AM
Review by hunterboy: User Rating:

temazepam: I have been taking Temazapam for approximately 20 years with great results. The key is to take it sparingly, and no more than one time per week. I usually take it approximately one time every 10-14 days, and it works wonderfully. I normally go to sleep within 10 minutes and sleep 6-8 hours uninterrupted and wake totally clear headed and no grogginess.

December 12, 2013 10:54 AM
Review by sleepless Krista (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

temazepam: Worked for the first couple weeks. Now I am up to 60mg just to get to sleep. Its been two hrs and no sleep. Its slowly not working anymore. Been on it for a month.

December 9, 2013 4:59 AM
Review by Shmoo Snook: User Rating:

temazepam: Previously, I had been using Ambien for a couple of years. What I found with that was that it either got me off to sleep within half an hour, which it did most of the time, or it didn't work at all that night. The big problem was that it didn't keep me asleep for more than 3 or 4 hours at a time. I've been using temazepam for about three weeks now. At first it was great - I'd be asleep within 15 minutes or so and sleep 7 or 8 hours straight. But now something else is going on: I'm sleeping 10 to 12 hours at a stretch, and waking up feeling woozy. Obviously, I need to get with my doctor about this.

December 5, 2013 6:29 PM
Review by jdpi (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): Usally works within 15 mins

November 16, 2013 9:48 PM
Review by TheStynqueOne: User Rating:

temazepam: I used Methamphetamine when it first hit the street in the early 1980's and stopped on April 10, 2011. Within days I developed chronic fragmented insomnia in which I was unable to sleep for more than 45 to 75 minutes at a time. Attempting to avoid prescription anything, I tried every herb and supplement from Valerian Root to Melatonin with very little improvement. After almost two years I became desperate and willing to try anything so I asked the Doctor for help and was prescribed Temazepam. Now I get at least 4 hours of solid sleep and 4-1/2 to 5-1/2 hours of total sleep each night. I am a bit comatose in the morning for the first 30 to 60 minutes after waking even with coffee. The sleep walking is a bit unnerving though.

November 7, 2013 1:10 AM
Review by novatom: User Rating:

temazepam: My insomnia has gotten gradually worse for the past 5 years (I'm in my early 50s). Never had a problem falling asleep, but wouldn't sleep longer than 4 hours before I would wake up feeling almost wide awake. Then I would lie awake for a few hours, by then I would doze for up to an hour before it would be time to get up. My Dr. had me on Ambien for a couple years but I hardly ever took it, in fact the medicine would lose their potency before I ever finished the supply. Dr. changed me over to 30 mg. of temazapam and over the past 10 days I've tried it twice and each time I had the best nights' sleep I'd had in years! With a minimum of 6 hours without waking up. I love this medication but I'm only going to take 1 /week.

October 5, 2013 8:34 PM
Review by Gordon swar: User Rating:

temazepam: Used it for two periods after a nervous breakdown. Restored my sleep cycle pretty well after 12-14 days both times. Needed two pills 10mg each for it to work but recommended.

September 7, 2013 7:56 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): Restoril has been great. I sleep 6 hours and wake up feeling refreshed, no hangover effects. I took trazodone, Ambien, and Lunesta before. None have been as effective. I have very few nights where I struggle getting to sleep on 15mg.

August 25, 2013 10:03 PM
Review by Challenged 111: User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): I used it along with Paxill. I used it every night for about 2 1/2 years. It did the job of getting me to sleep very well. It would without fail cause me to sleep. It lasted 4 hours, then I would wake up often, but I felt quite rested. Only occasionally would I take a second dose feeling that I needed more sleep. DO NOT MIX WITH ALCOHOL.

August 24, 2013 12:44 AM
Review by donna63 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

temazepam: I've taken temazepam for approximately 3 yrs and didn't sleep all the way through the night until my doctor changed my dosage to 3 - 30mg caps @ bedtime. I too take Venlafaxine and have had no adverse reactions. It's been a lifesaver for me.

August 17, 2013 12:30 PM
Review by Jaybe (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

temazepam: Have tried this on and off, find it's best to alternate with other sleep agents, to avoid tolerance. This is my favorite sleeper, biggest complaint is nausea with large doses.

June 30, 2013 8:11 PM
Review by AnxietyBomb (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

temazepam: Worked excellently for insomnia not perfectly since I would like to sleep longer, but I can count on at least 7 hours of sleep. Best of all no side effects or grogginess in the morning. Just good sleep.

June 24, 2013 2:34 PM
Review by Dustin31: User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): Worked OK! Little blurry vision but not bad! Slept good 6 hours! Ambien is a lot better just sometimes you do things and don't remember the next morning!

June 17, 2013 3:00 AM
Review by Markesha (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Restoril (temazepam): Restoril really helped me sleep. Sleeplessness was the cause of fibromyalgia for me and my rheumatologist prescribed it and I was able to sleep and deal with physical pain. What he did not tell me at all was the potential dangers of it. DO NOT drink and take it. You could die because it can cause your respiratory system to shut down. If you have taken it a long time, DO NOT wean yourself off abruptly. You could have seizures. I am being slowly weaned off of it by a doctor who is alternating dosages from 15 mg. to 30 mg. per night. I plan on giving myself plenty of time to get off of it. Be careful which medicines you use with it such as anti-inflammatories. They can increase the effects of the medicine without your expecting it.

June 14, 2013 6:29 PM
Review by jojo74: User Rating:

temazepam: I started this medication tonight and I'm still awake. Started with 15 mg after 20 minutes took another one and I'm still awake. Frustration. All it has done is make me relax.

June 7, 2013 1:50 AM
Review by Lezzjek: User Rating:

temazepam: I have had trouble sleeping for about 4 years after a breakdown I currently take an antidepressant and did have Zopiclone to help me sleep which worked really well and gave me a good nights restfull sleep , My GP discontinued the zopiclone a year ago and my nights are terrible I can lay here for hours and my head won't turn off and will usually end up getting about 2 hours sleep. I have recently been given temazepam 10mg which does not work at all. I have doubled my dose to 20mg but still no luck with sleep, hence I'm writing this now at 2.18 am. I have been trying to look up to see if they clash with my anti depressant Venlafaxine .

June 2, 2013 9:22 PM
Review by anonymous susan (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

temazepam: I have been taking temazepam off and on for years. Tried Ambien too. Ambien knocks me out right away, but I can only sleep for about 4 hours on it. Temazepam takes a little longer maybe an hour and I need to stay relaxed. Makes me feel a little dopey, but I sleep all night. No ill effects the next day. No rebound effects the next day. Only take twice a week at most for best results. Take a couple of months vacation from it every few months.

June 2, 2013 1:53 AM
Review by Midgiepoo: User Rating:

temazepam: I have had restless leg syndrome all my life. Nighttime was awful, kicking my legs, rocking,and only fell asleep because I was exhausted. Been taking 15mg nightly. Wake up once and fall right back to sleep. Never in my life have I been able to sleep like that. I am 65 years old, once in a while feel groggy. Also helps with restless legs syndrome during day. Feel more calm as well. My husband says I don't even move at night and no more black & blue marks on my legs.

May 29, 2013 12:38 PM
Review by dad old cape codger: User Rating:

temazepam: 15mg ineffective. 30mg worked pretty well.

May 21, 2013 4:34 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

temazepam: Have been taking temazepam to counter waking up at 3 am every night for many years. It has helped me sleep through the night, but I am noticing more confusion, memory problems, some balance issues, dizziness, lethargy. I have cut back from 2 pills/night to 1 with some difficulty with getting to sleep. I would like to slowly cut my dosage once again to see if it would clear up what I think are the side effects of taking this medication. I would like to get off it completely and see if yoga and relaxation CDs might help me instead.

May 1, 2013 9:10 PM
Review by BostonGurl: User Rating:

temazepam: I wish I could write a letter to the creator of this magical pill. I have SUFFERED for almost 20 years with debilitating insomnia and anxiety related to constant sleep deprivation. I feared bedtime and would get so frustrated I would lay awake weeping over it. I averaged 2-4 hours of broken sleep a night. I was given every medicine under the sun. I saw neurologists, had sleep studies. Doctor after doctor and the fight went on. Finally one NP prescribed me temazepam 30mg and it has literally changed my life. I've been on it for 8 years and I sleep 6-8 hours a night and feel great the next day. The first week or 2 you may have a slight hangover the next day but that subsides quickly. Hope this helps someone.

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 24, 2013 12:09 AM