User Reviews for Temazepam

Also known as: Restoril

Learn more about Temazepam.

Temazepam Review Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 77 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Temazepam to treat Insomnia

"I have had difficulty staying asleep for several years after having open heart surgery. My doctor prescribed temazapam 15 mg. It helped some but I continued to wake up at 2 or 3 AM as I had prior to having the med. Only difference was I would fall back to sleep around 5 AM (without the med I never fell back to sleep). Doc increased to 30 mg and I slept better but still would awaken at 2 or 3 AM eventually falling back to sleep. I started taking 50 MG of benadryl around midnight when I would get up to go to the bathroom. IMMEDIATE SUCCESS. I now sleep all night every night. 30 mg temazapam around 9 PM, usually asleep by 10 PM. Take the benadryl around midnight. It works for me. Been on this regimen to around one month thus far."

j stephen May 14, 2015

Restoril (temazepam): "Tried ambien but it lost it effect around 10 months. Lunesta tasted like I sucked on a roll of pennies all night. Trazodone just wasn't really effective. I take 30mg of restoril about 20 mins before I need to be in bed. Otherwise I've awaken in different parts of house. I also take a .75mg give or take .25mg of Xanax as a kicker. I would have problems staying asleep. Sometimes no more sleep that night sometimes the crappy toss n turn sleep till you get mad n get up. Then drag ass all day. Occasionally I still get one of those nights but they are once in a long while. It works for me and I recommend (but does not for a friend) If you've tried the others give it a try it's cheap nothing to loose."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 7, 2015

"I was prescribed temazepam to replace my previous sleeper, I don't use anything very often. Sometimes I have a period where I don't sleep so well, I tried 10mg the first night with zero effect then the following night doubled to 20mg also zero noticeable effect. I'm yet to try 30mg but I believe it may only be affective on some people."

Matt. Fell May 6, 2015

"I seem to wake up every two hours like clockwork every night. It doesn't matter what time I go to bed, same thing happens. All the time! I used to take 1-2 mg zanex and would sleep great, then it was made really hard to get perscribed. Anyway now on 10 mg tamazepan, still wide awake! It does make me relaxed though and sleep eventually but not for long."

On watch (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2015

"I have been an insomniac for about 20 years now (no joke). I have been to sleep studies (gosh, you don't go to sleep!), tried every relaxation technique (HA!) and was on Ambien (did crazy things I have NO memory of) and Lunesta. Lunesta didn't seem to give me the crazy night wanderings but drove my blood pressure way up. So now it's Restoril. It worked very well for about 2 months. Now 15mg does nothing but make me drowsy. Still No Sleep! I guess I am going to have to ask for some alternative, but dreading trying yet something else."

Sleepless in Piave March 12, 2015

"Temazepam helps me fall asleep, but it doesn't help me stay asleep beyond three or four hours. So, I set my alarm for 3 AM every night and take a second Temazepam pill. So I take 15mg before bed and then another 15mg at 3 AM and I sleep till six or seven and that works."

Schrag (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 19, 2015

"I'm a 16 year old female with Anxiety Disorder, Depression and a lot of the symptoms of Borderline Personality Disorder (cannot be diagnosed with BPD due to my age). All of these things cause my sleep to be extremely bad in terms of quality and I sleep for between 2-4hours a night and the rest of the night I'll probably end up pacing. I have tried many over the counter sleep aids, none of which worked. My psychiatrist was very cautious when prescribing me Temazepam due to the effects it can have on people with depression, suicidal thoughts etc, but I have found that 10mg gave me double the amount of sleep I get normally with my normal nightmares, but even so, the quality of sleep was so good in comparison to normal. I'm so glad."

Jadie1201 (taken for less than 1 month) February 7, 2015

"I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, as well as a high level of Anxiety coupled with Sleep Apnea and severe snoring if I did fall asleep. Finally, a daily dosage of Xanax ER in the morning, 30mg of Temazepam at night with 20mg of Diazepam and the option of up to 4mg of Lunesta has kept me asleep. Crazy Dreams when I remember them, I talk a lot while asleep, but wake up feeling like at least I had slept. I do wonder though what all this is doing to me physically, and how long it will last."

apileoftile February 1, 2015

"I'm a 20 year old male and recently tore a muscle in my pelvic area, which radiated pain to my groin area as well. The pain worsened at night and caused me real bad restlessness and insomnia. Along with pain medication, Restoril (temazepam) was really a lifesaver. It does double duty by relaxing my muscle spasms AND relaxes my mind so I can sleep with my pain. It's gentle enough to take in the evening (you don't have to take it right when you get into bed, like Ambien). Causes no side effects for me, either. I wake up refreshed."

JessieKinz January 8, 2015

"This is the only thing that helps me fall asleep and STAY asleep, and I have tried everything. I started out at 15 mg, but then cut back to 7.5 which worked fine. I highly recommend this one."

Kitty1859 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 21, 2014

Restoril (temazepam): "I have suffered from complex insomnia (trouble falling asleep as well as trouble staying asleep), secondary to severe major depressive disorder, for many years. I have lost count of the sleep meds that worked for a while until I developed a tolerance. I have walked a tightrope between meds that don't help at all and those that make me sleep all day. My current solution is a combination of temazepam to help me fall asleep and Seroquel to help me stay asleep. It's the result of a lot of trial and error, and it is regulating my sleep better than anything I have ever experienced. Now if can just avoid building up a tolerance..."

jeffreydbrown (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

Restoril (temazepam): "Been on numerous sleeping aids for years. After a while they don't always work. At present I'm on 30mg-Temazepam. It takes 2 hrs. for it to work on me. After 2 1/2 hrs and still haven't fallen asleep I have to take some over the counter medicine with it. Been on Ambien and Lunesta prior. Don't know what else to do."

b2g1947 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 15, 2014

Restoril (temazepam): "It helps you fall asleep. But does not help you stay asleep. I wake up at 3:00 every morning. It is very frustrating. I am on 15 mg."

Clc 46 December 15, 2014

Restoril (temazepam): "Been not sleeping for over 10 months now. Usually over the years just a week at a time. This time up 3-4 times a night. About 4 hours of sleep. Started Restoril last night. Slept straight through. Yeay"

ronil1623sue November 23, 2014

"1St night amazing, after trying so many others that haven't worked at all. I mean I stayed awake right through them. 30mg of temazepam and I was passed out within 30 minutes and slept hard for almost 6 hours, that's NEVER happened before. I'm so excited. No hangover. Feel clear, rested and hopeful tonight will work the same. "

GrandmaLucy (taken for less than 1 month) October 3, 2014

"I took temazapam last night for the first time, only (15mg). It didn't make me very sleepy, so it took about and hour before I could fall asleep, but I was unable to wake up this morning when my alarm went off! I slept from 11 pm to 2pm the next day! Very odd."

HBA24 September 29, 2014

"I have been taking 10 mg per night for 29 years. It relaxes me so I can sleep for 4-5 hrs tops."

Tropical2 September 26, 2014

"About 4hrs. A night."

The onion (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 24, 2014

"Doesn't put me to sleep 15-30mg, requesting alternative"

ladyx August 23, 2014

Restoril (temazepam): "I took 15mg when 1st prescribed the medication, it did nothing. The 2nd night I tried 30mg, it worked, but the 3rd night I tried 30....still up, I took another 15mg. Hope to feel sleepy soon."

Sleep deprived August 11, 2014

Restoril (temazepam): "False awakening dreams, night mares, vivid dreams, reduced effectiveness over time."

Ben_Reu (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

"Usually allows a half hour to an hours worth of sleep......that is the 30mg."

1216Looney7058 May 30, 2014

"I have been taking this medication for 30 days as a trial to replace what I had been taking. It takes a good 10 hours before I feel sleepy. I now take it at 4pm and go to bed around 3 am. Once it works, I sleep great with it. I am considering taking it earlier in the day. Kind of crazy isn't it ?"

gaygay16915 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 27, 2014

"Out of no where I started developing insomnia. After 2 days straight of no sleep I went to the doctors and prescribed me zopiclone. Worked the first 3 to 4 days then wore off so he prescribed me temazepam which helped me get to sleep and stay asleep. Took it for around a week then ran out. Didn't want to go back and get more as I knew I would develop a tolerance for the medicine and become addicted. It was then back to nights of no sleep. "

Dc23 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 16, 2014

"I love this medicine. Besides using it for sleep, I also use it for fibromyalgia. 15mg in the morning."

lovegretel April 29, 2014