User Reviews for Temazepam

Also known as: Restoril

Learn more about Temazepam.

Temazepam Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 111 medications used in the treatment of Insomnia.

Reviews for Temazepam to treat Insomnia

Restoril (temazepam): "Takes at least 1/2 hour to begin having any effect. Effect lasts only about 2 hours."

John28 April 26, 2016

"Worked for awhile pretty well but then went back to maybe getting 2 hours of sleep a night if i was lucky! I need help and i feel so anxious i need something to help me with this horrible insomnia."

Garcia1987 April 21, 2016

Restoril (temazepam): "my bp goes up when i lay down giving me insomiia. This med helps me go to sleep but not stay asleep and I sometimes have vivid dreams on this med but I still think its worth a try.Iit does provide a relaxing feeling"

jason elliott41 April 16, 2016

"Gives you a nice undisturbed sleep and has a kind of heavy, foggy side effect that comes over you after you have taken it. I woke up the next morning though and I felt really, really depressed. I do have a history of depression so not even sure if this should have been prescribed to me but it is useful for relief of insomnia. However I prefer diazepam."

Sezthet (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

"Restoril 15mg works pretty well for me. I started experiencing moderate insomnia, just over a year ago. I've been taking 2mg of Xanax, 3 times a day for many years, for panic attacks. My psychiatrist prescribed Restoril, because it's also a benzodiazepine. It doesn't have the "hangover effects" of other sleep medications. The only complaint that I have is that it doesn't last as long as it's supposed to, for me. I usually wake up about 5 hours after, and have difficulty getting back to sleep. If you're already taking a benzo, this should be great for you, on a short or long term basis. If you're not, then be careful and wean off of it, because you can have have pretty nasty withdrawal symptoms!"

SunkistNinja (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 14, 2016

"I have tried every sleeping pill on the market. I was on dalmane first when I was a kid. When I was sixteen, I was in the hospital, the nurse gave me a restoril and told me I'll love it there's no hangover in the morning, and she was right. Knocked me out as good as dalmane, but there was no next day effect like dalmane did, and dalmane was so potent, there could be a fire and I wouldn't wake up. Restoril is not that potent, but it is very good. I've taken it for many, many years, beginning 1984 the first time, then I went on halcion, but I really thought restoril was better, after sleepwalking on ambien in 1995 I only went on halcion or restoril for my insomnia. I have severe insomnia"

frank7968 (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2016

"Do not take this drug! I have taken it for about a year. 30 mg. Truly great at FIRST. Little did I know about the withdrawals, pure hell. I never should have been on it this long. It's only supposed to be prescribed for a week! Now it doesn't work anymore, and the withdrawal symptoms are unbearable."

Josephscoatrose17 April 1, 2016

"Been taking it for years. Not as effective as at first. I sleep maybe 4 hours, then wake. Take a 350 mg soma about 3am watch 30 min TV, awake at 6am like clock work. No groggy or med hangover though. Better than ambian or lunista. I can take a fist full of those and watch the middle of the night programming. Like others, never had a problem sleeping. I think interferon destroyed that ability, but I'm alive and cured, so I'll take a little insomnia. Hope this helps you!"

Wurkskinda (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 31, 2016

Restoril (temazepam): "This works wonders for my insomia! Initially, Ambien was prescribed to me but it gave me the worst headache. With Restoril, I get at least 6 hours of sleep."

Ceeeeebeeeee March 29, 2016

"It is awful. It made me nervous and anxious and made me shake. It did quite the opposite of what its meant to for me."

Bellad1847 March 8, 2016

"this med is ok , it does help me go to sleep but I still can not stay asleep!!"

lasleigh March 7, 2016

"I take 30 mg at like 10:00 pm and fall asleep but I wake up at like 5:00 or 6:00 am exhausted and exhausted most of the day. I also take XANAX .5 mg once or twice during the day for anxiety / panic attacks. That helps but still tired all day"

Miradee March 5, 2016

"Had been using Temazepam for some years 2 - 3 X a month for insomnia during full moon events. Last Fall, I discovered that Temazepam gave me other relief as well. Developed renal stone, prostate, & diverticulosis issues that began to significantly interfere with my sleep. I'd wake because of bladder & kidney discomfort, have a minimally productive urination with a fair amount of UT irritation, return to bed & soon experience rising irritability from my colon requiring another bathroom trip, this time for a minimally productive bowel movemen with no return to deep sleep and the cycle repeating 2 - 3 more times in the next 4 hours making for poor sleep and a distinctly irritable attitude upon rising. No problem with Temazepam!"

Bisbee Mike (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 20, 2016

"I've had problems falling asleep and staying asleep for the past couple of years. I could not sleep more than 2 hrs without waking, assuming I fell asleep at all. The first couple of nights on Restoril were disappointing. I stuck with it, though, and am now sleeping much better through the night. The only thing is that this medication has no immediate effect on me. I take it 2-3 hours before bedtime, but do sleep much better through the night. I do wake up groggy though."

Boogie man February 5, 2016

Restoril (temazepam): "Tried ambien, Ativan ...then dr prescribed restoril. Scared at first to take it. On it over a year now, works just fine. Helps me sleep through hot flashes, Graves Disease symptoms, husbands snoring even. I take with 5 mg melatonin on EMPTY stomach, at least 2 hours after any food or it doesn't work. It's been such a relief for me to get my sleep."

Gravester February 4, 2016

"Like others, I just simply stopped sleeping. Bang, outta the blue insomnia hit me. No traumatic emotional experiences no depression. My mind WILL NOT shut off. But, Dr still insisted I try antidepressants. I tried several with no help. Then on to the sleeping pills, Trazadone was a nightmare, Ambien, Lunesta, Xanax, no help whatsoever. Then finally, finally, I found a new "OLD" school Dr who actually listened to me. He prescribed Temazepam at 15mg. That didn't work but 30mgs did. I fall asleep quickly, however, I only get 5-6 hours of sleep. And, I'm extremely groggy, all day.... So I've just seen the commercial about Belsorma that I'm going to ask about."

Nana Shell February 1, 2016

"over the years I tried quite a few sleep medications with no results at all. We moved to a new state and found a new doctor, I'm now on 30mg temazepam and I sleep like a baby for at least 8 hrs a night. I was put on 7.5, 10mg and 15 mg. 30mg works for me."

nomoreripvanwinkle (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 29, 2016

Restoril (temazepam): "I have been on temazepam for years due to chronic insomnia and it does not give me a good night's sleep. I've tried Ambien, Benadryl, and melatonin, which don't work at all. I am getting frustrated with the temazepam because I don't sleep a full night and wake up after sleeping 2 hours, then doze off for another 1 1/2 or 2 hours at a time before I finally just get up. The doctor upped my temazepam dose to 30 mg a night, but it did nothing different, so I am just taking 15 mg. She is not very interested in looking at other options, but I am going to discuss these other medications with her. I am SO tired! I also am going to take a "sleep" class, which should be interesting."

Mimi23kids January 27, 2016

"It worked the first few nights. After that it ceased to be helpful at all."

Judi Blueye January 25, 2016

"Can't find a med to stop my brain from thinking when I go to bed. Tried temazepam first and it didn't work for 3 hours. Xanax and lorazepam were the same. But if I stop a sleep aid I will be up until 6 or 7 am with no sleep and I feel anxious"

grammamatt January 11, 2016

Restoril (temazepam): "I feel like I've been on very sleeping aid option to treat insomnia. With no success of anything I've tried my doctor prescribed Restoril. FINALLY something worked! I get a full 8 hours of sleep. My doctor also prescribed me Paxil on top of my regular Abilify for depression and anxiety, because I started to have anxiety before going to bed out of fear of not being able to sleep. So the drug combo has worked a miracle for me. I build up tolerances to medication very quickly, so now we'll see how long I last on Restoril. But I'm praying that it continues to work for me. I highly recommend Restoril."

JayDale1611 (taken for less than 1 month) December 17, 2015

"I was on 5 mg but was perscribed the 10 mg tablets for 3 years & it worked great & I would fall asleep fast & stay asleep for 7 to 8 hours!! I was forced to switch Drs after moving & my quack of a new dr I have now thinks my insomnia that I was diagnosed with 3 years ago is all in my head so instead of renewing my prescription she pulled me off it I've gone through 3 different depression meds that didn't help, tried belsomra that didn't work so she put me on this & worked great for 1 week then nothing back to up for 24 to 48 hours no sleep & if I'm lucky & get sleep it's only maybe 4 hours cause I don't stay asleep!! Looking for a new dr now that will listen to me & spend more then 5 minutes to talk to me!!"

angeljennings80 December 14, 2015

"I was on it for years but with remeron it helped for a while but my body I guess got used to it so it stopped working. I could never take it alone or I would never fall asleep. Lately I just want to be able to take naps before I take my new sleep meds and still have a script for it so I tried taking it on its own again and it's a complete waste I don't even get tired. I don't know if it's my tolerance or what but it's horrible and my sleep is horrible I've tried everything. Ugh someday something will work!!"

Andrea2135 December 11, 2015

"I've taken ambien multiple times with no effect so my doctor prescribed me temazepam 7.5mg. They don't work period. I've even doubled and tripled the dose and still nothing. I wish I could find something to help me sleep at night."

Rva1291 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 19, 2015

Restoril (temazepam): "only gives me 4-6 hrs. of sleep per night. Was hoping for 7-8. Take 15 mg. with 10 mg. Melatonin and .25 mg. Xanax at bedtime"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 18, 2015