User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

Learn more about Zonisamide.

Zonisamide review summary

8.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Zonisamide to treat Migraine Prevention

Review by What memory:

Zonegran (zonisamide): I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years.

January 12, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by Migrainemandy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I started having migraines suddenly two years after the birth of my first and only child. Sought help from a Neurologist eventually when anti-depressants prescribed by my family practice Dr didn't work. My Neuro doctor started me out on Topamax first, which I had terrible side effects from: word recall was awful and I felt paranoid and edgy all the time. Zonisamide has been a game changer. So far limited side effects: some dizziness - not bad, rash on my upper arm - not a big deal. I'll take this in exchange for the life altering migraines that pretty much shut me down any day!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2013 10:55 AM

Review by bobbi28 (taken for less than 1 month):

I did experience some appetite loss at 1st, which was OK because I wanted to loss about 5 pounds-but I started gaining weight, face was puffy, while eating very little and no decrease in exercise. The worst, however, was the onset of depression and feeling of hopelessness. I was up to 100 mg a day, on it for 2-3 weeks, and stopped cold turkey. Taking Topamax, years ago, did help with headaches and I lost weight (actually too much in beginning but body adjusted) but I also lost word facility. Not good trade off so I had to go off Topamax. Help!

April 20, 2013 2:50 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Zonegran (zonisamide): I don't notice any side effects compared to some of the other anti-seizure medicines.

October 25, 2012 5:57 PM

I have chronic headaches (>15 per month) and tried many treatments that did not help: Botox, Topamax, and others. With zonisamide my headaches are mostly limited to just the week before my period.

April 12, 2012 5:55 PM

Review by Still Looking:

Zonegran (zonisamide): I've been taking Zonegran for a few years now at 300mg per day. It had really gotten my headaches under control to where I would only have a headache periodically. Weight loss has been a side effect that I haven't minded. The problem is I've had significant memory and focus issues. I hardly felt competent most of the time. I have slowly weened myself down to 100mgs per day (I notified my neurologist of this because its an anti-seizure medicine so you shouldn't stop it cold turkey or it could cause a seizure). My memory has improved significantly, but the headaches have returned with a vengeance. I'm back to taking narcotics to address each debilitating headache. I used to take Topamax. It too worked beautifully, but also wiped out the memory.

January 4, 2012 5:36 PM

Zonegran (zonisamide): On 50 mg and have seen a huge improvement in my migraines. Down to 5 per month.

November 28, 2011 1:23 PM

Review by Zonegran User:

Zonegran (zonisamide): I have used Zonegran for headaches only. It is the only thing that seems to have lessened them somewhat, but I still have headaches and they affect me cognitively. I'm mentally slower, have word-finding problems, my memory is bad, and my attention is terrible. I've tried to go off it on occasion, but my headaches get absolutely awful, so I stay on it.

March 30, 2011 3:42 PM

Zonegran (zonisamide): I just got put on this medication for migraines. I took Topamax in the past but side effects were way too much for me.

March 19, 2011 8:07 PM