User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

Learn more about Zonisamide.

Zonisamide Rating Summary

7.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Zonisamide to treat Migraine Prevention

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I was taking 6-8 Excedrine Migraine daily to control my headaches. I saw a neurologist and was put on Zonegram. It took 1 month to build up to 100 mg per day. I was headache free after 2 months and have been that way for 3 months now. I will step down from the pills in 6 months. No side affects for me at all ."

James_D (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

"It has stopped my migraines for almost a year. I've lost weight and muscle stone, my appetite has gone."

gritsnluvn (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 29, 2015

"My migraines started suddenly at age 52 have no idea why. I have tried several different medicine including topomax I am now taking 400 mg zanisamide as first preventive and starting another new medicine this next week to see if it will help the head pain. I get daily migraines scale 3 -5 on a average and can increase at anytime through the day to 6-7 at which time I have to take a treximet or wait to see if it passes, sleep, ice quite what ever I can do till it goes away. I have also tried botox that didn't work either"

Bluwillow September 26, 2015

"I'm taking this as a last resort, have tried every med out there. Next stop is a Clinic in September. Have had migraines for more than 50 yrs."

For the sake of headaches July 26, 2015

"I am up to 200mg a day. The only problems I have is, some loss of appetite; which I definitely don't mind. And I get a little upset tummy every now and then. All in I feel fine, my memory is fine, & I'm just glad I can live a normal life pain free! My last migraine was during my dosage increase @ 175mg. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here."

msqui45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

"Switched from Topamax 15 mg to Zanisamide 50 mg for 1 1/2 month. Had one migraine so far. Very bad upset stomach, acid, and burping sensation. Will hold on a little longer to see. Topamax made me lose hair. Foggy memory from both medicines."

seeking4solution (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years."

What memory January 12, 2014

"I started having migraines suddenly two years after the birth of my first and only child. Sought help from a Neurologist eventually when anti-depressants prescribed by my family practice Dr didn't work. My Neuro doctor started me out on Topamax first, which I had terrible side effects from: word recall was awful and I felt paranoid and edgy all the time. Zonisamide has been a game changer. So far limited side effects: some dizziness - not bad, rash on my upper arm - not a big deal. I'll take this in exchange for the life altering migraines that pretty much shut me down any day!"

Migrainemandy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2013

"I did experience some appetite loss at 1st, which was OK because I wanted to loss about 5 pounds-but I started gaining weight, face was puffy, while eating very little and no decrease in exercise. The worst, however, was the onset of depression and feeling of hopelessness. I was up to 100 mg a day, on it for 2-3 weeks, and stopped cold turkey. Taking Topamax, years ago, did help with headaches and I lost weight (actually too much in beginning but body adjusted) but I also lost word facility. Not good trade off so I had to go off Topamax. Help!"

bobbi28 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I don't notice any side effects compared to some of the other anti-seizure medicines."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2012

"I have chronic headaches (>15 per month) and tried many treatments that did not help: Botox, Topamax, and others. With zonisamide my headaches are mostly limited to just the week before my period."

Anonymous April 12, 2012

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I've been taking Zonegran for a few years now at 300mg per day. It had really gotten my headaches under control to where I would only have a headache periodically. Weight loss has been a side effect that I haven't minded. The problem is I've had significant memory and focus issues. I hardly felt competent most of the time. I have slowly weened myself down to 100mgs per day (I notified my neurologist of this because its an anti-seizure medicine so you shouldn't stop it cold turkey or it could cause a seizure). My memory has improved significantly, but the headaches have returned with a vengeance. I'm back to taking narcotics to address each debilitating headache. I used to take Topamax. It too worked beautifully, but also wiped out the memory."

Still Looking January 4, 2012

Zonegran (zonisamide): "On 50 mg and have seen a huge improvement in my migraines. Down to 5 per month."

Anonymous November 28, 2011

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I have used Zonegran for headaches only. It is the only thing that seems to have lessened them somewhat, but I still have headaches and they affect me cognitively. I'm mentally slower, have word-finding problems, my memory is bad, and my attention is terrible. I've tried to go off it on occasion, but my headaches get absolutely awful, so I stay on it."

Zonegran User March 30, 2011

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Zonegran (zonisamide): "I just got put on this medication for migraines. I took Topamax in the past but side effects were way too much for me."

Anonymous March 19, 2011