User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

4.8
Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 393 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been taking this medicine for a week but I am 100% a totally different person! My husband has been as patient with me as humanly possible but I could see that my constant anxiety, depression and crazy up all night crying feeling like I was a person that couldn't be loved by anyone begging him to love me (he would just sit there and say I do love you baby with all my heart) but it was pushing him further and further away I am 23 and have been in emotional and mental hell since I can remember with sick and demented dreams. I have tried several different meds lexapro Wellbutrin seraquil xr Xanax Zoloft. I'm now on celxa and lamictal and I feel like a new person my Dr saved me my relationship, my life and my family!!"

Beautifuldisaster2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For years I have been misdiagnosed. I have been on Cymbalta, Seroquel, Celexa, Xanax, Olanzaprine, Vyvanse, and many other drugs I can't remember the names of. Then I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After multiple medications my doctor put me on Lamictal. At 25mg I could tell that I was feeling better but I was still experiencing depression and hypomania. After two weeks I increased to 50mg and started to notice a big difference. My moods were more stable and I could function normally. Although lethargy is still a problem but nothing coffee can't cure! Now I'm on 100mg and although I'm still tired, I feel much better. This has saved my life and my relationships!!"

Twaldroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm taking this medication for anxiety and mood swings. It really does close to nothing with my anxiety. It helps my moods a bit but my anxiety is more bothersome. Not only that, my memory is complete crap. I have trouble finding words, memorizing new information and spelling. I am a great speller and ever since I started taking Lamictal, I've forgotten to spell some words which i would have no problem with before. Overall, I feel this med is doing more bad than good. I started taking Seroquel and I can already feel more positive changes than Lamictal has done since I started taking it."

Mikasa May 12, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "Does not work as well as lamictal side effects are noticeable shaking, poorer memory,"

Leann wolfe (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was on several psych meds trying to get a good combination. Everything I tried only got me so far. When I introduced lamictal it was amazing! I read someone said it was their miracle drug. That's for me also. The things I don't like about it is that (it doesn't happen so much any more) it makes me off balance. Kind of like I walk like a drunk person. Then the only other thing is that if I miss one dose it takes 2-3 days to get the brain/body shocks to stop. If you miss three days/doses I was told that you have to start taking the drug over again like you've never used it before. Don't miss getting your refills on time. I am definitely a "person" now as well. Without it life is extremely bad. I've been taking it for over 6 years."

brick38 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. I am 25, a sober alcoholic (2 years) and diagnosed with MDNOS. I would love to get a real diagnosis - bipolar is as close as they've come, BPD is my personal view. Lamictal seriously changed my life. It leveled me out so that I could live my life and not have terrible bouts of sobbing in the closet wishing to die and screaming at people at the same time. I was still not super happy, so we added Lexapro, which helped a lot and Celexa later (instead of Lexapro), which helped more. Really want to switch to Wellbutrin XL now because I have no sex drive which is detrimental to my relationship, plus I'm late for work pretty much every day and could sleep until 1PM. But I will never go off Lamictal, serious life saver."

Jenny476 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar with mania. Also, I've been a addict for 25 years (self medicating my mania). I hated all the mood stabilizers I've ever tried, but would always eventually go back to using. Anyone that has lived in a constant manic state of mind knows how hard it is. After many many years of trying to get clean I reluctantly gave Lamictal a try. It has literally saved my life. It has totally balanced my crazy brain. My thoughts are not a 1000 miles an hour, I can actually sleep and eat normal and most importantly I no longer self medicate by using drugs and alcohol. My wife can write a book of what this medication has done for me and our family."

Jeffwhit May 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamotrigine is good medicine. I have bipolar 2. Evening dosages messed with my sleep, so I take one 300 mg dose every morning with breakfast. Now I smile more. Life is brighter, and so is my outlook and attitude. Only side effect is occasional mild headache, but still worth the price of admission. Very grateful for this medicine."

Jay-man (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 1, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal helps with my bipolar depression. I haven't felt helpless or hopeless since starting the medication. I take the maximum dosage of 200mg twice per day."

chrisbce (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have mercury-poisoning induced Bipolar II and took Lamictal. It made me feel great until I ended up in the hospital with erythema multiforme covering my whole body and aseptic meningitis. I was very disappointed because I was starting to feel really good on it. Andy Cutler Protocol has been the best treatment for me thus far, but I really wanted something to eliminate the depressive episodes (my manic ones are mild) while I get all the mercury out."

Hatter123 April 29, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I have PTSD from being emotionally, verbally &sexually abused growing up.(molested as a child & assaulted several different times as a teen) At 19 my fiancé was shot and killed. This pushed me over the edge &I almost died a few times (overdoses/ suicide attempt & car accident). I finally decided to go to an inpatient program and was put on lamictal. The medicine, therapy & faith has made me a totallynew person. I've been clean for 3 years now, in college & raising my beautiful girl. Im happy & my life is full. I tried SO many medications & lamictal has helped tremendously. I was able to get off of clonazepam and Zoloft under my doctor's care. I still have sad days and bad dreams but I don't get stuck in it and regress."

Jenn_N April 29, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I just started this med and I am on week 5 of the "starter" pack. I know it's a little soon to give my opinion BUT I want to give words of encouragement if you're struggling with your diagnosis and taking "that pill". I spent so much time in a deep, dark hole and I started getting "scared" that I wasn't going to see sunshine in my life again. I became desperate enough to call my Doc and agreed that I was "probably" bipolar (she saw it and I was in denial!) and I was willing to talk "meds". After the first two weeks I noticed that life was looking better and I felt like participating a little...by the end of week 4 I was able to have a conversation. I'm starting to see beautiful colors in my once bleak world!"

msmac93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this medicine 175mg per for 5 years-cyclothymia-miracle medicine. I was either angry or ecstatic on any given day. Now the same guy shows up every day-so thankful for this medicine."

tenover April 23, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on Lamotrigine (lamictal) for about a year. DR VERY slowly dosed me up to 150mg mostly because I keep missing doses. It begins working immediately. You'll experience drowsiness with each dosage upgrade. I started feeling more "normal" and balanced. It has also reduced frequency and intensity of panic attacks, no more tremors (might be due to addition of proprananol). I feel I should have been on this for years before now. I think it has increased made my skin dryer but thankfully no rash. It helped me cope with grief and aggression too. I've insisted that Dr never take Me off this med."

glam1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "My neurologist decided to try lamictal with me because of the inefficiency of topamax. As I was weening off topamax, he put me on 300mg of lamictal XR. After a few weeks, I was solely on lamictal and no more topamax. Yet, the first two weeks I had two seizures, so my doctor decided to put me on 1000mg of Keppra. I've had a few more seizures on lamictal and it was very random. I believe that lamictal is not beneficial by itself, but combined with another drug, it seems to help out. Although it helps a little bit, the side effects are fatigue, weakness and low appetite. These side effects weren't as bad as topamax, but they weren't the best. In the end, I've been seizure free for the last six months on lamictal and keppra."

Zane Dayton (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 15, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on a small dose of this for about a month. It has done wonders for me! I have struggled with anxiety my entire life and have been on several different meds over the years. This has really helped to calm me down. I have even lost about 7 lbs over the past month because it is curbing my desire for food. Everyone notices the difference."

vistard April 15, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was very, very good. I have MDNOS (Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) however, it is likely that I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, and my doctor has used the terms hypomania and major depression to describe elements of my condition. I also experience some anxiety. I tried Zoloft before, but as many people with Bipolar Disorders know, that can lead to some bad things happening. I had significant side effects and it made me irritable. When I got to Lamictal, I immediately noticed how much better things were. First, I began to feel less depressed, and I noticed that I had virtually no side effects. I have never even heard of a psych medication with no side effects (for me at least). It worked well for all of my problems."

BDPM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "The Best I have ever tried. get calm , relax. think well, no more attacking attitude, not easy to explore as before I am taking 200 m/day. 100 2/times"

Enjoy Your Life (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been bi-polar since I've been 19 and am now 58. I've been taking lamictal 50mg daily for at least 20 years. I also was taking Wellbutrin 200mg daily for the depression which I just went off (tapered gradually over 6months) for the first time in 20 years. I am very stable and this I attribute to the lamictal. It's been a real life saver for me. I've been out of the hospital for 30 years. I am a successful nurse. I'm married and have 2 beautiful children who are now married. It's not easy. I never thought life would be normal back in my early diagnosis days. Don't give up. Take the meds but always tweak them with the doc if they don't feel right for you. Keep busy and find something do with with your life that gives you value. :)"

Kathy4hope (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Had a weird manic/mixed night so put myself up to 300mg from 150 while dropping Effexor from 300mg to 150. Went completely nuts and very confused (another manic/mixed night oddly enough, that felt about the exact same as the former) but now it's been 2 more weeks since I switched the dosages, so a month total, and I feel FAR more normal than I have in 7 years. Seems antidepressants really are the devil for bipolar disorder, which I never truly believed until now. That being said, I'm fairly certain I needed Effexor at one time. Don't know what I'd do without this med actually. If you need a Dr to request approval for your insurance coverage (remember Plan G if you're on the poor side), that will work instead of e.g. taking lithium."

Lacey Anne March 30, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal is a great medication for the depressive side of my bipolar 1 disorder, but try as I may, it is not a good mono-therapy, meaning I can't take it alone. I need another mood stabilizing medication with it or it causes anxiety and irritability to worsen. I'm giving it 7 of 10 stars because it doesn't work for bipolar 1 as a mono-therapy and has effected my memory and ability to recall words and to read quickly. Side effects for me are reading difficulty, memory issues, and break through anxiety and irritability."

BAAAEE (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I had post traumatic stress disorder from childhood physical and emotional abuse. What a life saver this has been! After about three months of ever increasing dosage, I finally began to "come out of my spider hole." I quit drinking. I felt like Alice in Wonderland with her head breaking through the clouds. I also felt like my brain was slowly being rewired, smoothing over rutted neural pathways and creating new, calmer ones. it has been seven years now and I am up to 300 mg a day. Most importantly, I can FORGET the past abuse and feel happier than I have ever felt before."

Thriver March 28, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lamictal for about a month now. I started on 50mg, 2nd week 75mg, and 3rd week 100mg at night. 1st 2 days in on 50 I felt borderline aggressive and very irritable. This evened out on the 3rd day and I began to feel very motivated and able to think clearly. I still experienced a few depressive episodes, but I hope to get onto an antidepressant once my dose is high enough. I've began taking 25mg in the AM to slowly move up to 100 in the AM on top of my 100 at night. Since I have, my memory, attention, and anxiety have worsened and other side effects have been sweating, raised heart rate, some trouble sleeping, and slight photo-sensitivity. Most of these have subsided as I adjust so overall it's best to stick with it for a bit."

mellatpal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "I've been on Lamotrigine for three years at a daily dose of 350mg. My seizure frequency decreased dramatically down to once per month. Keppra was added to the regemin and I'm practically seizure free. Brain fog, multitasking issues and the occasional inability to find the words I'm looking for when speaking are the side effects are the primary issues but I'll take those over worrying constantly when the next seizure will occur."

Rob M (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 26, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions."

Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2015