User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 311 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Review by Tanasio:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Bipolar 2(now 65) with years of trying every mood disorder medicine around until Lamotrigine was recommended for Bipolar 2. Felt back in my 'own' skin again after 20 years of 'enduring' life. On 200mg twice daily takes a while to adjust dose so please be patient..it gave me back my life!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Catgeo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder about a year and a half ago. I know this is not the same as Bipolar, however we do experience similar mood swings with high intensities. Three years ago I started taking Wellbutrin. It really helped and I thought I found my "miracle" medicine. However, the efficacy wore off after about a year. I started feeling those desolate "lows" again, and became discouraged with my mind all over again. Once I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, my psychiatrist suggested this medication. She was really good about easing me into the medication, starting with low doses and working me up from 25mg a day to 100mg a day. I am happy to report that I have not had an episodes of the horrific depression as a before!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 3:09 PM

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I'm 54 yrs old now & I've struggled most my life with severe depression and anxiety. Many issues in my life would be intense and just make me be so upset. Taking this Lamictal now for 2 months at 200mg. Has so much stabilized my mood. I've been so much more settle and handling situations more calmly . A Great medicine.

June 27, 2014 7:40 PM

Review by lilollady (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have taken Lamotrigine for years. It has been effective but I have gradually had more side effects. These reviews have been very helpful as I thought some of my problems were created by the sun, humidity or allergy. Over time and sporadically I have had more nausea, chills, a lot of itching. If I scratch the itch at all the skin turns bright red and spreads along with itching. The itching is horrible. 3 days after 50mg increase I have all the above side effects plus sweats, chills and flu like symptoms. Have extremely strange dreams and nightmares. I didn't have these side effects when I first started the medicine. They started gradually and I think it is time to look for a different medicine.

June 25, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by asdfzxcv1234:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed bipolar II. I've been taking this for 3 years now. I increased the dosage up to 400mg at one point and became very dizzy and nauseated. Although, for the majority of the time, I took 150mg twice a day, but now the effectiveness is wearing down. I give this medicine a 7 because it definitely helped stabilize my moods and I became less irritable. I'm discontinuing my use this week to try lithium. I hear great things about lithium and am tired of the inconsistency I've been getting with lamotrigine as of late. (Also, the possibility of developing Steven Johnson's syndrome is totally not worth it and long-term use of lamotrigine doesn't make you immune to it of course!)

June 13, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Snow412777:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've had severe symptoms of PTSD for years. My mind/body disconnect, along with feeling very unsafe most of the time was a huge problem in my life. I became afraid to go out. I was afraid of people. I was placed on lamotrigine and was tritiated slowly to avoid the rash. I got to the 100mg mark and I feel like a new person. My fear had dimmed significantly and my mind actually listens when I go through the CBT steps to reduce anxiety. I could not be more grateful. It makes life less about suffering and more about living.

June 12, 2014 11:57 AM

Review by Twahlstrand (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal for 4 years now it has helped me to manage my symptoms even though I have had to have a few adjustments to the medicines recently. With the increase so far I haven't had any episodes.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 3, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I have been on this medication for little under a year. I will say that I have not had a seizure since I've started taking the medication. Unfortunately there are a lot of side effects with this medication, dizziness, vision problems and headaches. I think my dosage may be too high but my neurologist refuses to lower it because of its outcome thus far. I have tried to learn to deal with the side effects. I do not think that they will ever go away but I guess I can just be happy being seizure free. I was on Trileptal before and was having seizures every time I was stressed about something. Overall, the medication has given me back control!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 5:01 PM

Review by htas (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine, but if I missed a dose I would feel nauseaous. Once I ran out of it and missed 2 doses and got really sick with sweats, nausea, chills, and faintness. Don't ignore a rash. There is more than one type of rash. One type is extremely dangerous. Call MD or if you can't, go to ER. I did not get a rash, but would have done something about it immediatley...

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 11:28 AM

Review by Glamdoll (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Diag: Bipolar 2 with predominant depression, plus panic disorder. I have been taking a very low starter dose (25mg) of Lamictal for about 3 weeks. I'm due to up the dose to 50mg now. Aside from my anti-panic emergency medicine and proprananol for blood pressure, I've never "upped" a dose of anything. I typically give up on a medicine for one reason or another (not effective, negative side effects, complicated dosing, cost, etc). Lamictal is a prescription that I intend to up my dose to 50mg though, and will do so gladly. People have commented on a more calm & "mellow" mood, a greater tolerance to stress and irritations, and being more pleasant to others. I'm on a slightly more even keel now & look forward to seeing what's next with increased dose

May 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by hopefulTony (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Started this medicine slowly 25 mg a day for two weeks, then went up to 50mg for 2 weeks. Still did not feel much better, went up too 100mg a day for 4 days feeling lethargic, the fifth day on it starting feeling a little better. But, I started getting itchy all over and started a very small rash on my side near my butt, My doc told me to stop it, cut the dose in half last night and then stop. He put me on Tegretol today, taking my first dose at dinner.

April 29, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by LaurieV (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Migraine Prevention: I take 3 x 25 mg tablets twice a day to prevent daily Migraines. I used to get between 25 to 31 Migraines every month before starting this medicine 6 1/2 years ago. Now I only get about one moderate Migraine every four to six weeks.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 18, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

April 10, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by brenndo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on and off this medication for nearly 10 years and it has been generally helpful most of the time. It takes a long time to titrate up, and the there is a very specific dose that is different for everybody, but once you get it right, the medication is remarkably helpful. In my experience, it all but eradicates Bipolar Depression and it reduces the severity of Bipolar Mania. Don't worry so much about the rash if you're a hypochondriac like me. "The Rash" most likely would only be limited to mucus membranes around the eyes, nose, mouth and genitals. One thing I should add: over time, the medications seems to lose effectiveness and if you frequently discontinue, this effect is exacerbated. Eventually I had to add lithium.

April 8, 2014 1:31 PM

Review by Beautiful_Jewelia:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on so many medicines, hoping from doctor to doctor until I found a neuropsychiatrist who took me off all that gunk and had me try Lamictal. While I am not cured, I most certainly am far more functional with my highs and lows being far less extreme. I also take Prozac to make sure that Lamictal alone won't make me hypomanic. I become that way if on Lamictal alone. I have been on these two medicines for many years. This is the first time ever anything has worked, worked reasonably well and this long!

April 5, 2014 12:56 AM

Review by banfield (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has helped about 95% with my depression and about 75% with my moods I have been on it for about 3 months now I go through periods where I am so happy and so in love with my husband very high libido (feelings I have always struggled to have) But there has been about 2 weeks during this 3 months that I go back to being irritable and moody and wanna smack my husband for everything that comes out of his mouth. So being on these medicine and being Bipolar maybe I'll never be 100% normal.

April 1, 2014 6:28 PM

Review by tenover:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine for cyclothymia/rapid cycling ever and I mean ever-been on 175mg per day 1x for 5 years-literally saved my life. Also if you're prescribed this absolutely have your pharmacist fill with brand only.

March 26, 2014 8:43 PM

Review by lulix:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this medication for 3 weeks now feel better lots of energy and not hungry.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Zenimia10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was put on Lamictal about 8 months ago. This medicine will not let my thoughts spiral down even if I wanted them too.

March 14, 2014 7:27 AM

Review by Ann1975 (taken for 10 years or more):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal/lamotrigine for over 10 years now to help treat my bipolar 2. I think the fact that 10+ years later and after trying other meds during my hard times I always come back to this one. Life does have ways of kicking me and those times are when other meds have been added or tried, but I always end up on Lamictal regardless.

March 13, 2014 12:50 AM

Review by soulshine95:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have since I was very young displayed what I know now as Type I Bipolor disorder. Probably one of the worst feeling in the world is to have emotions ebb in and out like tall crashing waves. Then the sun comes out and the water is calm. Then a couple days later here comes the storm. It is the worst feeling to think there is nothing that will help. I felt that way.....time after time different meds. Abilify to be one exact example led me to have Hypothyroidism. A condition I have to have meds for the rest of my life. I have after trying many different meds for depression to find only one medicine I would suggest and that is Lamictal. If you are compatible with this medication it will help the mood swings a great deal.

March 8, 2014 1:11 AM

Review by serlo (taken for less than 1 month):

For Seizure Prevention: My husband was in hospital for a week. They saved his life with this medication. He has change a lot and not side effects, now his talk his happy 99% change. Hope he continues like that.

March 7, 2014 11:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Decreased urine output and extreme difficulty urinating.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 24, 2014 10:30 AM

Review by DesertMoon (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: This mood stabilizer saved my life

February 21, 2014 7:12 PM

Review by Mom off the roller coaster:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is the first medicine that has helped my 14 year old daughter. She has tried Prozac, zoloft, vyvanse, pristiq and some help from Wellbutrin. She has not been accurately diagnosed. Many different professionals have suggested dysthymia, anxiety, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, MDD and bipolar II. She has been hospitalized 3 times. The last time she got out of the hospital, I asked if we could try a mood stabilizer. Lamictal was the doctors first choice. We slowly titrated up to 200 (it took 3 months), but it was well worth the wait. No side affects. No more roller coaster rides. Most importantly, my daughter has an understanding of what can trigger her moods and has the clarity to learn more about herself.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 17, 2014 9:26 PM