User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Epilepsy 1 reviews 39 medications

Anxiety 11 reviews 63 medications

6.2
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 549 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder 2 with my new psychiatrist last November. (Had 2 different hospital stays with same diagnosis, just didn't want to believe it.) started lamitcal at 50mg in November, and now I take 200mg daily and it's nice to feel like there's color in my world. Brought me out of a depressive episode and I've been very content with this medicine. Feels like it fits just for me after many trials and errors with antidepressants. Definitely feels like a veil has been lifted off me and the world even seems happier. I do have my off days , but they are just days and not weeks. I did have intense diarrhea when I started the 200mg and headaches but I don't notice any side effects at all now that I once had before. Very grateful."

Veevvv May 23, 2016

For Depression: "I have suffering with mental illness for sometime now. Been on quite a few meds and nothing seemed to help with my depression. My doc put me on Lamictal starting at 25 mg now up to 100 mg for about 2 months now. This medication has really changed my life for the better! The depression is sooo much less and able to function. I would recommend this drug."

Sol1 May 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on Lamotrigine for 3 years at 125 mg per day. It has levelled out my moods dramatically. Really helps me to manage life. No noticeable side effects in that time."

Telecaster May 22, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've taken Lamictal since 2002 and combined with two other drugs, I've been symptom free from bipolar since 2002."

Brightster (taken for 10 years or more) May 21, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This has been the best medicine for lifting my mood from severe depression due to bipolar. I have come along way. If you have not tried this I recommend it highly. I do take this with cymbalta, but I was on it years ago by itself and got good results. Give it a try."

Feefee40215 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Wellbuetrin (get off the couch). Zoloft (be happy). Pristiq (be happier). Xanax (chill out). Adderall (get 'er done, efficiently). Dexilant (ulcer, of course). Lisinopril (blood pressure). Up. Down. Up. Down. and then....because I felt so awful and helpless, pain pills. I'm a smart girl. I understand the epidemic and the risk of addiction, but didn't care. Went into new Dr. (one that finally didn't just take out a prescription pad and ask me "what do you want?", but asked questions to better understand me. The plan? To taper off a ton of these drugs (not cold turkey), and prescribed Lamictal. Game changer. Less meds for liver. More money in my pocket. More genuine calmness and happiness. Seriously, game changer"

PickOne (taken for less than 1 month) May 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug helps raise my mood slightly in the mornings. However, it also has side-effects of dizziness and headiness. This is especially true after two to six hours after you miss a dose."

Ady Miles (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Following about 4 months of being in a depressed state for little to no apparent reason (things were going good in my life), I added Lamictal to what I was taking. Along with Lithium, I took Lamictal for Bipolar. Lamictal worked very effectively to remove depression in a week. The issue was that I got out of depression so quickly, that I actually entered into a moderate manic episode. The episode did not lead to hospitalization, but had many of the elements that manic episodes have involving spending and lack of sleep and grandious thoughts and behavior. I didn't experience any negative side effects with the drug, and I just think for me the drug jolted me too much. No rash or anything, just scared me since I entered the manic."

Manuel231 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

For Depression: "I was off medication for about one year while seeing a therapist when I decided to seek out a psychiatrist and try again. I explained to my psychiatrist that I feel as though my depression is secondary to my mood instability and the problems it continues to cause in my personal life. I said I didn't feel comfortable trying another anti-depressant due to prior bad experiences (self-harm, suicidal thoughts, etc). He suggested a mood stabilizer (Lamictal/lamotrigine). I started out at 50mg, then 100mg, 150mg, 200mg.. Honestly, it did nothing for me. If anything, I feel like it increased my symptoms. Long story short, I ended up in the ER two days ago due to a self-induced overdose.. Would never try it again, but just my personal experience."

Katie080392 May 15, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Since I'm on this medication, my bipolar 2 symptoms have disappeared and life became much easier for me. Since than, I live a much active and healthier life . I was diagnosed at the age of 57 years old...After years of problematics I finally look at life in a more positive way."

triple a May 13, 2016

For Depression: "After 10 years of having nearly every SSRI' and SNRI work and then fail, I developed Sertonin Syndrome on a cocktail of both. I was so afraid to try any antidepressant...but my depression became life-threatening. I'm on only 50 mg. of lamictal (going slow!) for a month...and I am becoming cheerful! Amazing. I do have a slight facial rash I'm carefully watching. No other side effects."

marisol3 (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've abused alcohol for 12 years now. I just started taking lamictal the other day and instantly made feel so much better! I have not had any alcohol cravings either and I'm looking forward to the future. I'm so grateful."

MP1985 May 4, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Been taking this for yrs and has helped me so much."

S0CRAT35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I have been taking lamotrigine for 12 years now having had seizures for 35 years. At first I did have flu like symptoms and a slight rash but they soon went. They stopped my seizures which is fantastic but I do find that when writing I can't think of the word I want to say or how to spell it!! I have always been good at spelling and certainly not had any trouble with words, lol, but I will put up with it knowing I don't have the seizures anymore. Does anyone get dizzy or have double vision when maybe taking a tablet on an empty stomach?"

Pipintosh April 21, 2016

For Depression: "Lamotrigine definitely made my depression worse. Got off it."

Pixie bee (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I went through study after study as a kid without diagnosis. I found out 6 months after I had my 1st child at age 22 I had epilepsy. The pregnancy increased my symptoms and seizure to 3-5 times a day. The first med they put me on was lamictal and I stayed on this med for 8 yrs without any distracting symptoms. After I divorced I tried to go off them due to no insurance, I soon realized how well they did work. I ended up going back on them within two months because my seizure ended up coming back as soon as the med eased out of my system. It has now been a combined 12 yrs on this med and I don't intend on changing anytime soon. If you find something that works, it doesn't matter how many reviews you read until you see how your body reacts."

RachaelAB April 12, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Has anyone experienced dizzy spells from this medication? I started at 25mg last week & now I'm at 50mg. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews on Lamictal. I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Lamotrigine is my wonder drug. I was suffering from debilitating, anxiety. My doctor tried several antidepressants (Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Vybrid), and I had no benefits; only side effects. We also tried all kinds of benzodiazepines and they did nothing for me. Ambien would grant me only 3 hours of sleep. My symptoms would go from clammy hands and feet, heart racing and high blood pressure to sheer terror. My first day (really) on Lamotrigine and I already felt the symptoms subside. On the following days I felt even better. In two weeks I was feeling like myself again, so much that I was able to jump on a plane and travel to Brazil by myself. If nothing is working for you, give Lamotrigine a try. I am grateful I did."

BRUSA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "There has never been a better medication for me to help contain my moods. I am a very emotional person and go from one extreme to the other from morning to night. My doctor says I am not bipolar, but that I have borderline personality disorder. I am also anorexic. This medication helps manage my mood. I would not be able to go from day to day without this! I have been on 225mgs for 5 years. No side effects that I am aware of. I wish I could go higher on the dose but it interferes with birth control medication (estrogen)."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar and has taking lamictal 2,5 years right now. It is the best medicine i ever had. Before lamictal i was given lots of ssri medicine and neuroleptika who did that i was feeling worse and gave me 10 extra kg. When i changed medicine to lamictal it took looong time for me till it start working. Not feeling any side effects and i'm on 300 mg."

skinnypatrini (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2016