User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 300 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Review by LaurieV (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Migraine Prevention: I take 3 x 25 mg tablets twice a day to prevent daily Migraines. I used to get between 25 to 31 Migraines every month before starting this medicine 6 1/2 years ago. Now I only get about one moderate Migraine every four to six weeks.

April 18, 2014 1:39 AM
Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 3:33 PM
Review by brenndo (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on and off this medication for nearly 10 years and it has been generally helpful most of the time. It takes a long time to titrate up, and the there is a very specific dose that is different for everybody, but once you get it right, the medication is remarkably helpful. In my experience, it all but eradicates Bipolar Depression and it reduces the severity of Bipolar Mania. Don't worry so much about the rash if you're a hypochondriac like me. "The Rash" most likely would only be limited to mucus membranes around the eyes, nose, mouth and genitals. One thing I should add: over time, the medications seems to lose effectiveness and if you frequently discontinue, this effect is exacerbated. Eventually I had to add lithium.

April 8, 2014 1:31 PM
Review by Beautiful_Jewelia: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on so many medicines, hoping from doctor to doctor until I found a neuropsychiatrist who took me off all that gunk and had me try Lamictal. While I am not cured, I most certainly am far more functional with my highs and lows being far less extreme. I also take Prozac to make sure that Lamictal alone won't make me hypomanic. I become that way if on Lamictal alone. I have been on these two medicines for many years. This is the first time ever anything has worked, worked reasonably well and this long!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 12:56 AM
Review by banfield (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has helped about 95% with my depression and about 75% with my moods I have been on it for about 3 months now I go through periods where I am so happy and so in love with my husband very high libido (feelings I have always struggled to have) But there has been about 2 weeks during this 3 months that I go back to being irritable and moody and wanna smack my husband for everything that comes out of his mouth. So being on these medicine and being Bipolar maybe I'll never be 100% normal.

April 1, 2014 6:28 PM
Review by tenover: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Great medicine for cyclothymia/rapid cycling ever and I mean ever-been on 175mg per day 1x for 5 years-literally saved my life. Also if you're prescribed this absolutely have your pharmacist fill with brand only.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 8:43 PM
Review by lulix: User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this medication for 3 weeks now feel better lots of energy and not hungry.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 22, 2014 5:24 PM
Review by Zenimia10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was put on Lamictal about 8 months ago. This medicine will not let my thoughts spiral down even if I wanted them too.

March 14, 2014 7:27 AM
Review by Ann1975 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal/lamotrigine for over 10 years now to help treat my bipolar 2. I think the fact that 10+ years later and after trying other meds during my hard times I always come back to this one. Life does have ways of kicking me and those times are when other meds have been added or tried, but I always end up on Lamictal regardless.

March 13, 2014 12:50 AM
Review by soulshine95: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have since I was very young displayed what I know now as Type I Bipolor disorder. Probably one of the worst feeling in the world is to have emotions ebb in and out like tall crashing waves. Then the sun comes out and the water is calm. Then a couple days later here comes the storm. It is the worst feeling to think there is nothing that will help. I felt that way.....time after time different meds. Abilify to be one exact example led me to have Hypothyroidism. A condition I have to have meds for the rest of my life. I have after trying many different meds for depression to find only one medicine I would suggest and that is Lamictal. If you are compatible with this medication it will help the mood swings a great deal.

March 8, 2014 1:11 AM
Review by serlo (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Seizure Prevention: My husband was in hospital for a week. They saved his life with this medication. He has change a lot and not side effects, now his talk his happy 99% change. Hope he continues like that.

March 7, 2014 11:20 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: Decreased urine output and extreme difficulty urinating.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 10:30 AM
Review by DesertMoon (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: This mood stabilizer saved my life

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2014 7:12 PM
Review by Mom off the roller coaster: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is the first medicine that has helped my 14 year old daughter. She has tried Prozac, zoloft, vyvanse, pristiq and some help from Wellbutrin. She has not been accurately diagnosed. Many different professionals have suggested dysthymia, anxiety, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, MDD and bipolar II. She has been hospitalized 3 times. The last time she got out of the hospital, I asked if we could try a mood stabilizer. Lamictal was the doctors first choice. We slowly titrated up to 200 (it took 3 months), but it was well worth the wait. No side affects. No more roller coaster rides. Most importantly, my daughter has an understanding of what can trigger her moods and has the clarity to learn more about herself.

February 17, 2014 9:26 PM
Review by Anonymoussss (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: I started lamotrigine only one week ago for classic bipolar and an anxiety disorder. I noticed it starting to work on day two and really noticed a difference on day three! It is life changing! Before my head was overwhelmed with many thoughts processing, many of which were negative, angry thoughts, and now my head is calm and quiet. My thoughts are now all positive and nice. I don't think I could say mean things even if I wanted to because literally my brain blocks it! My anxiety has gone away too, what a great feeling! I had no negative side effects. I was told it may cause weight loss and memory loss, BUT since my head is much more relaxed without anxiety I have started to eat normal again and I have actually had improved memory.

February 15, 2014 6:30 PM
Review by Abesjk77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Depression: Really helps out, puts you in a Normal mood and keeps you steady. No side effects . Does a great job

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2014 10:44 PM
Review by Luetta: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar 2. I was diagnosed in 2009 but had suspicions long beforehand. So was put on Prozac, Abilify. While I notice Prozac helping, especially when I don't have any and I begin having withdrawal, I've found that Lamictal really does the job! It's very subtle, maybe because I'm on a very low dosage. Yet, I notice it. I'm more calmer. Not calm completely, just calMER.

January 23, 2014 11:38 AM
Review by Anonymous II: User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: Although I had experienced major episodes of depression and anxiety (which went unconfirmed by psychiatrists) it wasn't until I turned 24 in May 2013 that I was diagnosed with bipolar II. I was started on Lamictal 25 mg and BAM! within two days I felt like a whole new person: very social, motivated, imaginative and bursting with life (much different from the depressed and irritable self). I am currently on 100 mg and feeling great after continuing college, earning the highest GPA I ever earned, obtaining a new personal training job and meeting a very beautiful girl...I guess that's success. For anyone with the same condition Lamictal is worth trying, as it's super effective and produces almost no side effects.

January 14, 2014 8:46 PM
Review by Heather.80: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking 300mg of Lamotrigine each day for about 3 years. When I first took it, it made me feel sick and anxious and gave me headaches, but after following some simple advice from my psychiatrist I now DONT GET ANY SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL!! He told me to increase the dose slowly (25mg per week) and to always eat when I take the tablets. I've found this medication very effective as an antidepressant but not effective at controlling mania / hypomania. Despite this, I still rate it very highly because it is so much more bearable than any other psychiatric medication that I've taken in the past.

January 13, 2014 9:51 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Saved my life after trying various antidepressants with no results. Felt dizzy and nauseaus the first weeks, but noticed improvements in mood within days.

January 5, 2014 4:24 PM
Review by TechnicolorPhase1991: User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: I took a lot of antidepressants since I was 11. I was diagnosed with type 2 bipolar disorder at 14 because I was admitted into the hospital at 13 for suicidal ideations. They started me on Prozac and I was numb. One day they took me off of Prozac and started me on Lamictal. I was at 5mg then went up to 25, then 75, then once I reached 100mg I started crying during a comedy. My mom and dad were so happy. They started me on 150mg of Lamictal and I was on that for a few years. Doctors were stunned because I only took one pill for bipolar. I stopped taking it July 2012 after they raised my dose to 200mg and I gained 40 lbs. Now I'm 22 and I need to go back on it.

December 16, 2013 6:32 PM
Review by Arisa (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

lamotrigine for Cyclothymic Disorder: I have Cyclothymic disorder and nothing worked especially those awful atypical antipsychotics which caused weight gain and Akasthesia so Lamotrogine helped me within one month of taking it. It helped me sleep at the start but its given me more energy now and aside from headaches that have now subsided there are no other side effects. I am also taking lorazepam and Effexor so both are strong medicines but Lamictal has been a God send. I feel I can cope with life and do not have anxiety anymore. Its not a cure but it sure as hell as helped me live better than anything else has and no weight gain.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 14, 2013 3:33 PM
Review by tbpkeyboard85: User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: I have been fairly recently diagnosed formally with Bipolar II (among a plethora of other things, including obsessive-compulsive disorder, panic disorder, and generalized anxiety disorder, as well as Tourette's syndrome). I've previously been on antipsychotic medication, which I cannot emphasize enough on how negative my experience with this class of medicines has been. Abilify made my anxiety worse. Seroquel made me gain 20 pounds in 2 weeks. Geodon was cost prohibitive and amplified my anxiety. The only side effect I have complaints about is fairly severe dry mouth. I'd recommend a mouthwash that is for people with dry mouth if you opt to take this medicine. Otherwise, I have noticed nearly instant improvement in my symptoms with this.

December 13, 2013 12:14 AM
Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is the best psych med option I've ever had. Over a six-year period, I had been prescribed a myriad of medicines for bipolar mania and depression, including: Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa, Celexa, Prozac, Lithium, Geodon, and Tegretol. Lamictal has been a Godsend. Lamictal has not been associated with weight gain nor diabetes (I have type 2, but was diagnosed prior to my prescription). All psych medicines have side effects, and finding the most benign one can be maddening, and even life-threatening, in my case. Give this one, at least a shot.

December 12, 2013 7:18 AM
Review by Ncderw (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

lamotrigine for Bipolar Disorder: I began to notice the difference after 3 weeks on Lamotrigine. Although I am not 100% better but I am getting there.

December 5, 2013 1:51 PM