User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 332 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by exoexo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine returned me to beautiful happy normality after years of antidepressants which made me worse in all regards. It only worked properly when I ditched the antidepressants.

November 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by AntoniaM:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by royal yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I sing the praises of Lamictal. I have been on 150mg in the morning for over 7 years along with Seroquel XL 100 mg at night. The combination has changed my life. I could not imagine life without depression and anxiety before I started these medicines. No side effects from either one. I feel fortunate.

October 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Karmicirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've been on Clonazepam since March 2014 after being violently attacked. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, is a new experience for me & I am so ready to get off the ride. Anyhow, I have issues going to public/crowded places & pretty much grocery shop at night to avoid people. I've gone from spontaneous extrovert to complete in-hiding introvert. I started Lamotrigine 3wks ago, after 2wks they upped dosage to 2 pills in the a.m. from 1 (25mg). Within a few days, I started noticing I'm not needing to smoke as much (Ironically, non smoker until my attack). I'm not feeling as anxious/on edge, moody as I have been since the attack in Feb. I think this stuff is awesome. I'm hoping that it will help me get my life back. I've had no negative side affects.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by notfine:

For Depression: I've been taking Lamotrigine for a few years. When I first started it, I was amazed. They gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. It helped tremendously. And still does. I've been afraid they'd try to change it. That was one of my first medicines for severe depression. It doesn't make you a zombie at all. I do struggle with the making you tired or sleepy side effect. But everything makes me tired and sleepy. I have a couple other meds and they all make you sleepy. I had no other side effects. I would highly recommend trying this medication if it's offered or suggested. Give it a couple months if you're not sure if it's working. Especially if you're trying it along with other newer medications.

October 1, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by Mysfyt (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Tried everything from Depakote to Lithium and every antidepressant with them. Finally paired Lamictal (Lamotrigine) with Lexapro (Escitalopram,) and hit the jackpot! I'm Unipolar (severe depressive,) and the 300mg ER Lamotrigine with 20mg Lexapro has kept me totally mood-balanced and low-anxiety. After 20 years of different meds, I finally feel like myself.

September 30, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by SecertAgent99:

For Seizure Prevention: Been on: Dilantin, Keppra & Tegretol. All for different length of times. Have been on Lamictal for 12 years, not had a seizure since. I did however quit my high stress job. Truly a leap of faith for my family. I was the bread winner. But health is number 1. The side effects: insomnia. My Epiologist added Neurontin to the mix to help combat this (so so). Weight gain (10lbs). Word finding. Forgetfulness. Headaches. These were all before the the addition of Neurontin. I've been on the Paleo Diet/lifestyle for 1-1/2 years. Never felt better. Eliminated my debilitating headaches! Lamictal gave me my life back.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by Wizi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I felt it necessary to leave a review because of how well this medication has worked for me. However, I have been quite seriously bipolar (with panic disorder) for over 30 years. As you can imagine I have been on many medications. About two years ago nearly everything had gone wrong in my life - including being homeless and drinking far too much. I pulled out of that with the help of Seroquel. But I was still having really really bad times. Then I met someone who suggested this medication. Well it was not instant but slowly I started becoming "normal". Normal to me is wonderful. Now I hardly drink.. Why - because I drank to cure myself.. I actually wake up and look forward to the day. I feel young again!

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Missme2314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Duration 3 years I am 23. This medication changed my life and I am not exactly sure why I take it because I feel "normal" I wasn't bipolar however I was just flat out raging deeply depressed would stay up all night. I did crazy things. I also had horrible life threatening anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder and sitting still. I almost stopped taking it when I finally went to a DR because I couldn't go to college anymore because I was a complete wreck all the time. Every tiny little thing threw me into anger and depression and jealousy. Medication made me sick in beginning but the Dr told me to keep taking it which this is how these medicines work. After around 3 months. I was NOT depressed EVER, slight mood but I'm OCD and moody in general! Anti-depressant did not work.

September 21, 2014 11:31 AM

Review by tigerliyl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've gone from 25, 50,75,100 and been on 200mg a day for 4 weeks now. I've been on lithium, Seroquel, Seroquel XR and could not handle the side effects of all. Lamictal has been magic. I can feel the change completely, I just feel like everything is a little 'slower' and that I'm not racing all the time. Bipolar 2. Best medication I have been on by far and can honestly say that this is one I plan to stick to. The side effects were small but there, dizziness when standing, headache and a little nausea for the first 6 weeks on and off but nothing compared to the emotions of bipolar.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lamictal for almost 3 years now. I find that it keeps my moods stable and doesn't have the side effects I experienced on other medications. I was able to continue taking it while pregnant and breastfeeding.

September 7, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by shakin'jules:

For Seizure Prevention: After 17 seizures in 1 week, 15 years of epilepsy and absolutely NO life, within only a few days, a total change came over me with this medicine. I actually started getting my brain back, depression lifted, I went SWIMMING(!). Not a seizure yet, I am not unrealistic, although at a low dose, I am cautiously optimistic. The insomnia is somewhat relentless, back pain too, & my appetite is insatiable.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 30, 2014 10:01 PM

Review by WolfGirl22:

For Anxiety: I've been taking this as a "mood stabilizer", which has been working, but in all honesty I think they put me on this for mood because of the way the other medicines were making me (Risperidone made me psychotic, so did Zoloft). I'm off those now and am currently on Lamotrigine. But it does nothing for anxiety, not one thing. It's made me worry MORE.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 8:28 PM

Review by stevie c:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: After being diagnosed as bipolar from an exceptional great doctor he spent almost 2 years trying different medications and combinations he found Lamictal worked for me. I am on a once a day dose 100mg and went from severe to working full time and enjoying life again. The worst part was losing my family as they don't understand it. It begins with a good doctor and being true to yourself to know what works.

93 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by debbbiiieee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Worked wonders! Went off Depakote ER, lost the 50 lbs, went on Lamictal, also take 20 mg of Lexapro for depressive moods. Feel great!

August 20, 2014 11:20 AM

Review by crazyukman (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started this medication after switching from quetiapine for Bipolar 2. I have so much more energy on this medication, I have lost weight and it has levelled out my mood considerably (my usual mood state is low, but I do cycle a couple of times a year). During initial titration I had trouble sleeping, dry mouth and digestive bleeding. But these have lessened over time and I use laxatives and synthetic saliva to ease the side effects. Overall I'm very happy with this medication.

August 8, 2014 4:02 PM

Review by Tanasio:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Bipolar 2(now 65) with years of trying every mood disorder medicine around until Lamotrigine was recommended for Bipolar 2. Felt back in my 'own' skin again after 20 years of 'enduring' life. On 200mg twice daily takes a while to adjust dose so please be patient..it gave me back my life!

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by Catgeo (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder about a year and a half ago. I know this is not the same as Bipolar, however we do experience similar mood swings with high intensities. Three years ago I started taking Wellbutrin. It really helped and I thought I found my "miracle" medicine. However, the efficacy wore off after about a year. I started feeling those desolate "lows" again, and became discouraged with my mind all over again. Once I was diagnosed with borderline personality disorder, my psychiatrist suggested this medication. She was really good about easing me into the medication, starting with low doses and working me up from 25mg a day to 100mg a day. I am happy to report that I have not had an episodes of the horrific depression as a before!

July 23, 2014 3:09 PM

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I'm 54 yrs old now & I've struggled most my life with severe depression and anxiety. Many issues in my life would be intense and just make me be so upset. Taking this Lamictal now for 2 months at 200mg. Has so much stabilized my mood. I've been so much more settle and handling situations more calmly . A Great medicine.

June 27, 2014 7:40 PM

Review by lilollady (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have taken Lamotrigine for years. It has been effective but I have gradually had more side effects. These reviews have been very helpful as I thought some of my problems were created by the sun, humidity or allergy. Over time and sporadically I have had more nausea, chills, a lot of itching. If I scratch the itch at all the skin turns bright red and spreads along with itching. The itching is horrible. 3 days after 50mg increase I have all the above side effects plus sweats, chills and flu like symptoms. Have extremely strange dreams and nightmares. I didn't have these side effects when I first started the medicine. They started gradually and I think it is time to look for a different medicine.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 6:20 AM

Review by asdfzxcv1234:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed bipolar II. I've been taking this for 3 years now. I increased the dosage up to 400mg at one point and became very dizzy and nauseated. Although, for the majority of the time, I took 150mg twice a day, but now the effectiveness is wearing down. I give this medicine a 7 because it definitely helped stabilize my moods and I became less irritable. I'm discontinuing my use this week to try lithium. I hear great things about lithium and am tired of the inconsistency I've been getting with lamotrigine as of late. (Also, the possibility of developing Steven Johnson's syndrome is totally not worth it and long-term use of lamotrigine doesn't make you immune to it of course!)

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate