User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

5.7
Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 413 reviews 8.4

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Depression: "Pmdd suffer for 15 years!! I stopped taking my antidepressants for Pmdd and so far this medication,has helped me tremendously all on its own. I advise anyone with depression to try this medication!"

Skyezone July 3, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Deeply depressed for 7 months after a manic period of 7 months. Would come home from work and just go to bed and stay there for 14 hours until it was time to go to work again. Taking Bupropion in the AM without effect in increasing doses for all 7 months. After titrating up the Lamictal through the increasing doses as required, the fog lifted 3 days after I started on the 200mg dose. Thank you modern medicine"

ThisIsReal June 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've suffered from ADHD, Bipolar 2 with major depression and anxiety for years. I have to say I've found the right combination to give me some stability. I started with respidol 2 mg 2x a day, Citalopram 20 mg a day, lorazapam 0.5mg a day & 10 mg 2x a day of adderal. While I should say that the medication worked well for my depression and psychosis. I had to stop taking respidol because I gained 20 lbs in the first 4 months of taking it. It made me sleepy , no motivation whatsoever. So we repalaced it with lamictal 25 mg2x @2 & 9pm, adderall 20 MG.1x. @6am, Citalopram 40 MG 1x@9am, lorazapam 0.5 2x@1 & 6pm. So no medication takes away 4rm the other. Taking adderal & lamictal together will decrease adderall effectiveness."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 28, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed bipolar II a little over 4 years ago. I was manic for a long time, I'm talking 2 years. With episodes of extreme depression. I wouldn't take my medications and ended up in and out of several mental health centers at several hospitals, well over 10 hospitalizations. I was a reckless mess. I can't even remember a lot of that time period. I was losing everything along with my mind- I was gone without a doubt. I saw this Dr yet can't remember his name, while in the hospital and he was so nice and didn't want to sedate me like I had been in the past. He put me on lamictal for the first time. This was 3 years ago. It saved my life. Works within the first week. Seriously the best mood stabilizer ever."

Italygurl June 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was prescribed with lamictal about 3 months ago, and I do have to say that I have had a very positive experience with stabilizing my mood swings. Within the first month of me taking it, I have lost 10 pounds and I do think it was a factor in my sudden weight loss. I do wish that it did help a bit more with my anxiety but that wasn't my main issue when I decided to see a doctor. Other than the anxiety, lamictal is fantastic. I do recommend this product for BDP and I hope it helps you."

Insomniacgal June 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have just been diagnosed with bipolar 2. I have been on antidepressants for 23 years and as I got older the drugs didn't work as well. I suffer from depression panic attacks severe anxiety and phobias and erratic mood swings changing daily even hourly. So now I am on 300mg effexor, valium and have just started in increments of 25mg of lamotrigine. Before this I took epilim which was great but within 2 weeks had a rash everywhere. Now I am up to 75mg of lamotrigine and I have headaches tiredness sleeping up to 15 hours plus diarrhea, sick, depression aggression anxiety the list goes on. Its been 6 weeks and I am loosing it.... my mental health team is useless. Will this get better???"

pynkpanda (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 20, 2015

For Anxiety: "No side effects. I've been suffering from depression and anxiety since I was a teenager, it had help so much. I am so thankful for this medicine it saved my life, I would suffer for days with no sleep. anxiety is a killer I am glad this med is on the market. I would have committed suicide because of the anxiety, I give many thanks to my doctor for finding something that helped, I can live my life finally."

Root Beer Girl (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Lamictal (lamotrigine is the generic I take) for 5 years and I take 400mg a day for bipolar 2. It has changed my life. I rarely even take naps anymore and before Lamictal I would stay in bed. The trick to any medication is to take it the same time everyday. It took less than a week for my husband and I to notice a significant change in my personality. I have accepted that I will be on this for the rest of my life and that's fine because LAMICTAL GAVE ME MY LIFE BACK!!!"

Sweet Dee (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I have started taking lamotrigine with the intention of weaning myself off phenytoin. Unfortunately after 2 weeks and 2 days I have had terrible side effects, splitting headaches, vomiting, nausea, dry mouth and extreme irritability "

Megster June 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this drug for 4 weeks I notice very subtle changes. I've titrated up 25mg a week every week and I'm currently taking 125 mg. I still am probably 3 weeks away for full effects but I am noticing some good things. I no longer think about killing myself all day and I have less anxiety than I did four weeks ago. I feel optimistic that better days are ahead. I also take ativan for anxiety but will likely discontinue once I'm at the key mg amount which I believe is 200."

HMD321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

For Depression: "I have went many yrs thinking I was not depressed. My symptoms were anxiety, mood swings and irritability and low energy. Other Drs tried antidepressant s and they always made me tired. Lamotrigine has truly shown me that it was depression. I have a much better mood and sense og calmness plus a little motivation boost!"

mamakitty3 (taken for less than 1 month) June 11, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is the best mood stabilizer I have been on!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Really took a solid six months to work it made me drowsy during the day. I started taking it at night and it really took off my depression is gone and I sleep better. Taking it at night made a huge difference for some reason. I still have mood swings but my wife says they are much more in the normal range. I wish I would have found this pill when I was 15 my life would have been better and easier. I would recommend this drug to anyone and experimenting with different time of day if it's not initially working."

Trace4654 June 8, 2015

For Depression: "I suffer from major depression and was a little skeptical when my doctor prescribed as I am not bipolar. It really works great and I have been on everything. There have been a few times that I did not refill my prescription right away and if I went without for a week I went into major depressive state. Within a day of going back on it, the depression subsided a great deal."

DianaAtlanta June 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "First let me say thank you to all who have posted. I have been hoping to find a forum like this. Having suffered from depression and rapid mood swings (hypo mania) for more than 37 years it is a relief and very validating to hear other people's experiences if even if all of them are not applicable to mine . I experienced a severe depression with a suicide attempt 36 years ago. Since then a variety of medications have treated my depression quite well. I also found a loving husband and have a job I really like. Those external things can make a big difference too. I started lamictal 15 years ago and it helped take away the rapid mood swings & lessened some of the stronger depressive moods.Thanks to all for sharing. Now I don't feel as alone"

Ellie 1910 June 3, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar II, with gradioise mania and severe depression. After about a month of taking Lamictil, my moods stabilized dramatically. At one point, I supplemented with Abilify, but have recently been able to stop taking and now rely on Lamictil solely. I attribute Lamictil to saving my marriage and career; it scares me to think about how my life would be without it!"

GingerQuackle May 31, 2015

For Depression: "I have major depression and was prescribed Lamictal along with the Abilify and Wellbutrin that I was already taking. I was surprised because Lamictal is usually given to bipolar people and I'm absolutely not bipolar, but it has really helped me. The only side effect I noticed is a tendency to break out a little more (not THE RASH). No weight gain (weight gain is an issue with so many other depression meds) and no other problems."

Hanna2273 May 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I went through years suffering depression and PTSD nothing worked I've been through so many antidepressants and mood stabilisers that I've lost count . When my psychiatrist suggested I may have bipolar 2 she started me on Lamotragine I was hesitant I had a phobia of medications by this stage but I took a leap of faith and started lantrogine titraiting up 25 mg every 2 weeks with one sequel of 25mg at night because I was so sensitive too medications . After a few months I'm now on 125 mg of lantrogine a day and 25 serquel a night . I can't thank this medication enough. I feel clear no foggy ness my moods are stable I'm less impulsive I'm sleeping perfectly and thinking rationally and my anxiety is nearly non exisitent ."

Nick76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This Pill saved my life,business,relationship. I a 24 years old and about 3 months ago I was diganosed with Bii Polar I stated at 25mg a day it got raised to 50 and now 200mg. I take clonazepam for my anxiety. I see things so clearly and with a positive outlook. My doctor saved me."

Sherv May 25, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been taking this medicine for a week but I am 100% a totally different person! My husband has been as patient with me as humanly possible but I could see that my constant anxiety, depression and crazy up all night crying feeling like I was a person that couldn't be loved by anyone begging him to love me (he would just sit there and say I do love you baby with all my heart) but it was pushing him further and further away I am 23 and have been in emotional and mental hell since I can remember with sick and demented dreams. I have tried several different meds lexapro Wellbutrin seraquil xr Xanax Zoloft. I'm now on celxa and lamictal and I feel like a new person my Dr saved me my relationship, my life and my family!!"

Beautifuldisaster2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was the first medication I tried after being diagnosed with bi-polar dissorder. at first I started at 25mg and it worked for a few weeks after the initial week of pure headaches and drowsiness. Soon after though it became ineffective and my anxiety levels progressed. It seemed like because my body relied on the drug I didn't know how to deal with my swings without them so I felt like my swings were worse. Then we kept getting higher and it worked but kept stopping until I got to 200mg one in the morning one a little later. We did this so when the half life wore off I could take it again, and so far this has been amazing. My swings are calm and I feel genuine happiness aside from my anxiety (which I am trying different meds for) I'm great"

kimilaughsalot (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For years I have been misdiagnosed. I have been on Cymbalta, Seroquel, Celexa, Xanax, Olanzaprine, Vyvanse, and many other drugs I can't remember the names of. Then I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After multiple medications my doctor put me on Lamictal. At 25mg I could tell that I was feeling better but I was still experiencing depression and hypomania. After two weeks I increased to 50mg and started to notice a big difference. My moods were more stable and I could function normally. Although lethargy is still a problem but nothing coffee can't cure! Now I'm on 100mg and although I'm still tired, I feel much better. This has saved my life and my relationships!!"

Twaldroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm taking this medication for anxiety and mood swings. It really does close to nothing with my anxiety. It helps my moods a bit but my anxiety is more bothersome. Not only that, my memory is complete crap. I have trouble finding words, memorizing new information and spelling. I am a great speller and ever since I started taking Lamictal, I've forgotten to spell some words which i would have no problem with before. Overall, I feel this med is doing more bad than good. I started taking Seroquel and I can already feel more positive changes than Lamictal has done since I started taking it."

Mikasa May 12, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "Does not work as well as lamictal side effects are noticeable shaking, poorer memory,"

Leann wolfe (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was on several psych meds trying to get a good combination. Everything I tried only got me so far. When I introduced lamictal it was amazing! I read someone said it was their miracle drug. That's for me also. The things I don't like about it is that (it doesn't happen so much any more) it makes me off balance. Kind of like I walk like a drunk person. Then the only other thing is that if I miss one dose it takes 2-3 days to get the brain/body shocks to stop. If you miss three days/doses I was told that you have to start taking the drug over again like you've never used it before. Don't miss getting your refills on time. I am definitely a "person" now as well. Without it life is extremely bad. I've been taking it for over 6 years."

brick38 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 6, 2015