User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 344 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: It has saved my life. Literally.

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Scorpioman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Seizure Prevention: I had a seizure in July & Oct. 2013. In Nov. 2013 my Neurologist put me on Lamotrigine ER 50MG once a day. Since then, No seizures, and No negative side effects. I like it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 5:34 PM

Review by Zina S.:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Anonymous8:

For Anxiety: I've taken it for a week and I have had less anxiety in last couple of days. I hope it continues to help.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by Nottheone:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I do like Lamictal as it kind of kept my seizures under control but the side effects on my body and the fact that I still had grand mal seizures more frequently than never I decided to try medical marijuana. I am very pleased to say the the high strains have kept my seizures away entirely.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by Chelle202 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar 2 & for years was misdiagnosed as being depressed. Fluoxetine made me hypomanic and when unmedicated I suffered prolonged episodes of depression. My most recent depressive episode had lasted 9 months & my levels of anger, aggression, irrational thoughts & behaviour and feelings of utter despair were very frightening. I began taking lamotrogine at 12.5mg dose and slowly titrated up over 10 weeks to 100mg. Even at the 50mg dose my mood was not lifting so reluctantly my psychiatrist introduced venlafaxine which I now take at 150mg. The lamotrogine has stopped my racing thoughts, incessant & excitable talking, my irritability & aggressive outbursts. I have the calm peace of mind & control of my emotions I never thought I would.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I've been on Lamictal for 8 years and am seizure free with no side effects. The only problem I encountered was that I had a seizure the day after my daughter was born because my dosage post-pregnancy was too low. For those planning to have children, I'm happy to say my daughter had no birth defects. However, I chose not to breast feed her because the medicine would pass to her body. Overall, I'm incredibly happy.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by VanessaLa:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on every medicine under the sun (it seems) to manage the hypomania / mania of Bipolar2. Within a few days of starting Lamictal (was on Tegretol) it was as if someone had turned a light on in my head. Is this the way "normal" people think? was one of the first things that struck me. I sleep like a log, have no irritability, almost no anger (other than what would be considered normal). I am able to focus and my creative, impulsive thoughts have decreased enough to be manageable. It's a God send as I would perennially be in a state of hypo mania, which sounds great, but I was physically and emotionally exhausted. My libido is markedly lower but I wonder if that is perhaps an effect of not being hypo manic. I take 20 mg for anxiety.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2014 5:30 AM

Review by exoexo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine returned me to beautiful happy normality after years of antidepressants which made me worse in all regards. It only worked properly when I ditched the antidepressants.

November 9, 2014 4:13 AM

Review by AntoniaM:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by royal yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I sing the praises of Lamictal. I have been on 150mg in the morning for over 7 years along with Seroquel XL 100 mg at night. The combination has changed my life. I could not imagine life without depression and anxiety before I started these medicines. No side effects from either one. I feel fortunate.

October 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Karmicirl (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I've been on Clonazepam since March 2014 after being violently attacked. Post Traumatic Stress Disorder, is a new experience for me & I am so ready to get off the ride. Anyhow, I have issues going to public/crowded places & pretty much grocery shop at night to avoid people. I've gone from spontaneous extrovert to complete in-hiding introvert. I started Lamotrigine 3wks ago, after 2wks they upped dosage to 2 pills in the a.m. from 1 (25mg). Within a few days, I started noticing I'm not needing to smoke as much (Ironically, non smoker until my attack). I'm not feeling as anxious/on edge, moody as I have been since the attack in Feb. I think this stuff is awesome. I'm hoping that it will help me get my life back. I've had no negative side affects.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 2:27 PM

Review by notfine:

For Depression: I've been taking Lamotrigine for a few years. When I first started it, I was amazed. They gave it to me as a mood stabilizer. It helped tremendously. And still does. I've been afraid they'd try to change it. That was one of my first medicines for severe depression. It doesn't make you a zombie at all. I do struggle with the making you tired or sleepy side effect. But everything makes me tired and sleepy. I have a couple other meds and they all make you sleepy. I had no other side effects. I would highly recommend trying this medication if it's offered or suggested. Give it a couple months if you're not sure if it's working. Especially if you're trying it along with other newer medications.

October 1, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by Mysfyt (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Tried everything from Depakote to Lithium and every antidepressant with them. Finally paired Lamictal (Lamotrigine) with Lexapro (Escitalopram,) and hit the jackpot! I'm Unipolar (severe depressive,) and the 300mg ER Lamotrigine with 20mg Lexapro has kept me totally mood-balanced and low-anxiety. After 20 years of different meds, I finally feel like myself.

September 30, 2014 7:49 PM

Review by SecertAgent99:

For Seizure Prevention: Been on: Dilantin, Keppra & Tegretol. All for different length of times. Have been on Lamictal for 12 years, not had a seizure since. I did however quit my high stress job. Truly a leap of faith for my family. I was the bread winner. But health is number 1. The side effects: insomnia. My Epiologist added Neurontin to the mix to help combat this (so so). Weight gain (10lbs). Word finding. Forgetfulness. Headaches. These were all before the the addition of Neurontin. I've been on the Paleo Diet/lifestyle for 1-1/2 years. Never felt better. Eliminated my debilitating headaches! Lamictal gave me my life back.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 25, 2014 8:31 AM

Review by Wizi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I felt it necessary to leave a review because of how well this medication has worked for me. However, I have been quite seriously bipolar (with panic disorder) for over 30 years. As you can imagine I have been on many medications. About two years ago nearly everything had gone wrong in my life - including being homeless and drinking far too much. I pulled out of that with the help of Seroquel. But I was still having really really bad times. Then I met someone who suggested this medication. Well it was not instant but slowly I started becoming "normal". Normal to me is wonderful. Now I hardly drink.. Why - because I drank to cure myself.. I actually wake up and look forward to the day. I feel young again!

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Missme2314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Duration 3 years I am 23. This medication changed my life and I am not exactly sure why I take it because I feel "normal" I wasn't bipolar however I was just flat out raging deeply depressed would stay up all night. I did crazy things. I also had horrible life threatening anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder and sitting still. I almost stopped taking it when I finally went to a DR because I couldn't go to college anymore because I was a complete wreck all the time. Every tiny little thing threw me into anger and depression and jealousy. Medication made me sick in beginning but the Dr told me to keep taking it which this is how these medicines work. After around 3 months. I was NOT depressed EVER, slight mood but I'm OCD and moody in general! Anti-depressant did not work.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:31 AM