User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

5.4
Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 15 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 439 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm BP1, with ocd, borderline personality, adhd.. I've literally taken every drug made in every combination. I've never written anything like this, but for the past year I've been on 400mg of Lamictal with 2400mg of gabapentin. I also take 100mg of amitriptyline every other night. Lamictal is the only reason I'm still around. It is the only thing has helped my depression. Yes, it took about a month, and I've started and stopped which made it worse. But being on it nonstop has really given me my life back. I know it's different for everybody. I've had zero side-effects other than an occasional dry mouth. I never thought I'd praise a pill, but I felt so strongly about it, I thought I needed to put it here. I'm a 37yo male."

td2716 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 5, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I have been taking it for many years now for tonic clonic epilepsy and had been well for 3yrs. However out of nowhere last week I had 4 seizures had did some major damage. Has anyone else had this I also take Epilim ."

Cemore (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 3, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was given Rx for lamictal when we finally discovered I had cyclothymic disorder vs. Generalized AD and MDD. I felt great on effexor xr for awhile, then was having severe anxiety (I thought) which turned out to be a bipolar episode. We added lamictal and decreased my effexor from 300mg to 150mg. Now I am able to recognize my cycles and take 150mg of effexor from October to march then 75mg effexor March to October. I take 150mg lamictal all year and 1mg klonopin at bedtime every night to sleep. I am also allowed 1 klonopin daily as needed but rarely need to use that. Lamictal is my wonder drug!!! After suffering for 20 years trying to figure out the right combination of meds to feel good I am on track!"

MamaReddd September 3, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "While the cognitive side effects weren't too bad, I had to go off this medication because it made me develop a condition known as persistent genital arousal disorder (PGAD), along with noticeable facial flushing. Initially, it gave me some pep in my step, and seemed like a pleasant surprise, but after a few months, the side effects intensified to the point that I couldn't look at a man without my face turning bright red, along with intense and painful arousal that wouldn't subside. These side effects went away when I discontinued lamotrigine, and I'm only insanely aroused during ovulation - like most adult women. lol. I just wanted to share my experience because PGAD isn't really discussed as a side effect."

Pepileptic August 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "BP1, most recent episodes were manic and mixed. Taking lamotrigine for the last 11 months as mono-therapy (with klonopin PRN) after no meds for 15 years. Upping verrrrrry slowly, got up to 100mg about 4 months ago and it's been mostly smooth sailing since then. Kpin is down to .25mg, 2-3x/month so I know the lamictal is helping my anxiety and insomnia. OCD is WAY improved as well. Oh, and I was really afraid of the weight gain with mood stabilizers but at my yearly checkup last week I found out that I'd LOST 20 lbs over the last year without even realizing it."

indignantgirl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 27, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I've been on lamactil for a month. I keep losing my temper. Wife moved out a month ago too. She got tired of my anger. I yell at people over stupid shit that they had nothing to do with. I'm losing faith and hope quickly."

mtcoyne (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal, I feel it has truly helped with ONLY my depression (why I rated a 10), and not with my mania. I actually feel a bit more inpatient with situations and anger grows stronger faster. I have also read that this medication can actually make mania worse."

AlyJ August 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar Disorder with rapid cycling, mixed states, but mostly depression and severe anxiety. After several years of trial and error I take the following: Seroquel XR 600mg at night, Klonopin 1mg 3 times daily, Adderall 40mg twice daily, Lamictal 200mg twice daily, and switched from Effexor XR 300mg daily to the new antidepressant Brintellix. I've had the Lamictal titrated up to 400mg a day for last 3 years. I don't think it does anything, good or bad. It's I've never noticed any effect of any kind. I keep taking it because I trust my doctor and it's cheap."

ericw381707 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 16, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "All I can say is that I am quite pleased with this--sure hope this drop foot that I have is not related--but I still think I'll keep it--too tired to face another hospitalization ;"

Winged August 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal rocks! Been on several different meds for bipolar and was beginning to feel hopeless. But doctor changed me over to lamictal and after two weeks I feel like a new and normal person! No more manias and only slight depression episodes rarely! Love it!!!"

Robindav August 12, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "My husband began taking this about 20 years ago after being on Dilantin for 6 years, when he was on Dilantin, he had horrible side effects and still had seizures...To us this is a miracle drug...not a seizure since beginning it!"

GinPP August 5, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Currently, I'm prescribed to 100mg of Lamictal, 200mg of Zoloft, 10mg of Adderall IR, and 20mg of Adderall XR. I originally started on Lamictal at 25mg, and it had little affect on my mood stability. I believe it triggered a mixed state episode until I was prescribed 100mg. About two months in, it's been a lifesaver. My moods feel very stable, I am generally happy, and I am able to take care of myself with little resistance. I am also motivated to regularly run errands. (I do believe it may have made me slighty manic.) Prior to Lamictal, I was on 25mg of Abilify, and it was ineffective and made me very tired. I had poor hygiene, I was unable to interact with others or be in public places, and I had difficulty keeping up with housework"

RacingThoughts (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I take 80 mg of Geodon, 25 mg of Topiramate, 40 mg of Prozac, 50 mg of Trazadone, 200 mg of Lamictal, 100 mg of Vistaril, and Xanax as needed for anxiety. The Lamictal helps me the most out of any drug I have ever been prescribed. I was on 50 mg of Lamictal and went through a pretty rough depression, I felt catatonic and didn't care about anything - I felt desolate. I am now taking 200 mg and I feel so much better! I have more energy, I have a genuine smile, I feel like my old self again...or, pretty close anyway."

Jessicathelibrarian August 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Has worked well for many years"

calie August 1, 2015

For Anxiety: "I had high hopes for this medication. At 25 mg, I thought I noticed a slight positive effect. About when I upped from 25 to 50 mg, I experienced about two weeks of feeling extremely depressed, which continued when I increased to 75 mg. It did somewhat decrease my agitated anxiety, but did not help with my obsessive ruminations. Aside from the depressed mood and mild sedation, I didn't notice any side effects. When I decreased back to 25 mg, I noticed the depressed mood lifting and an increase in anxiety."

lou3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 31, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Lamictal worked at 25mg seems like every 6 weeks it's time to up dosage, currently at 250 and raise to 275 in week. Is there anything out there I can take with lamictal, I don't want to gain weight. Anti depressant is a med I take also"

divey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "My daughter was on Lamictal for many years which controlled her seizures. A year ago her insurance stopped covering it so we were forced to go to generic Lamotrigine. She started having seizures, so we did a little research and found out that the Lamotrigine she was taking was manufactured by a company in India. We switched to Lamotrigine made by another company and her seizures disappeared. Do some research on your products"

J_I_M July 23, 2015

For Depression: "This medication saved my life at a time when I was severely suicidal. I finally feel "normal" after 5 years battling MDD and GAD. Tired citalopram, vibryd, Zoloft, Effexor, Xanax and some others I can't remember. Tried holistic and homeopathic remedies. I just kept getting worse and worse. I have no side effects, my depression and anxiety is completely manageable and I feel like I have my life back."

Katy G (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 17, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I've been on Lamictal for a few years and while it eliminated all my daytime seizures my night time sleep seizures continue. I spoke to my neuro and he raised the dosage to 400mg..But I was a zombie with no memory, aphasia, and confusion. Finally I went back to 200mgs and decided to just live with the nighttime seizures. my dr suggested using Xanax to control them. It worked. The odd part that they occur every six weeks like and last for about a week... Anybody else has such regular onset?"

Jaynea July 17, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication saved my life. I'm not diagnosed officially with bipolar II--I just have a tendency to have pretty bad mood swings. My psychiatrist put me on lamictal a LONG time ago but for whatever reason I never took it. Finally in 2012 I decided to give it a shot and it turned my entire life around. I used to blow up about the most irrational things. My family was afraid to confront me with problems because they knew that I would blow everything out of proportion. Since starting on this medication I am so cool, calm, and collected. Nothing really rattles me. I am able to see life clearly. I get along with everyone. It's all thanks to lamictal."

kjm626 July 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been off and on Lamictal sense i was 15 years old (I am 22 years old now) I have never had a problem with it even going through 2 pregnancies. Very happy with it."

Lexic313 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 13, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Had severe depression..anxiety. .and elevated mood swings for years.just started meds in my early 50s. ..Lexapro..gradual doses..at first began to notice results in all 3 areas..but extremely sleepy no matter what time i took it...it seemed to level off at about 50% effectiveness...than slowly decreased in its effectiveness. .went on Lamo...more energy..but mood swings came back..no patience or tolerance again, forgetfulness...and anxiety. ..rambling thoughts in my head continually. ..I am returning back to my original prognosis. ..didn't find it to be of help at all....up to 200mg...really don't want to keep experimenting...not sure of next step. .."

over this (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am so glad I was prescribed Lamitcal two months ago after struggling with bipolar disorder for the majority of my life. I had been getting progressively worse over the years with manic cycling frequently to the point I couldn't function. I was very skeptical numerous medications over the years. I thought nothing would help and within three weeks my life completely turned around. The constant edge is gone, I'm calm, thinking clearing and I feel in control. I am so grateful this works for me, hope it works for you."

LJDW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I got diagnosed with bipolar, this year in the month of may. At first I talked to a counselor who referred me to a nurse practioner/ psychologist. After telling them my feelings and life experiences they definetly said I was bipolar when I met with the psychologist. She gave me medication the first day. I started off taking just 25 mg then after 2weeks 50 then after I finished that 100 then after that 200. When I first started taking the small doses . I didn't see any changes in my behavior and that made me very hopeless and angry and I feel like nothing could help me. But once she uped my dose I feel like a human again. When I tell you I feel good I fell so good that I could fly with a kite and the birds. I feel like my old self again."

Lovehatething (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

For Depression: "I've taken lamictal for many years for depression. Prior I took Prozac and Zoloft with many side effects. I have a daughter with bipolar. It's worked great for bipolar and it works amazingly well for my depression and no side effects."

Catkilp (taken for 10 years or more) July 8, 2015