User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Migraine Prevention 1 reviews 32 medications

Restless Legs Syndrome 0 reviews 16 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 356 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Review by sneck (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: this is best medication I have been on having bipolar. gives me confidence calmness no anxiety

March 1, 2015 4:14 PM

Review by Thekimmer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I experienced depressive episodes once every 10 years or so, 18 months duration. When my husband died suddenly of coronary problems in '89, I was in a down stage--which didn't change until the Dr. and I found Lamictal. Tried 11 meds before without result, still locked into depression. Was tired or hyper while we worked out the dosage. Very slight hair loss was a small price to pay for a new life! Friends even remarked on the favorable attitude change. I can't thank the developers enough and it's a shame it doesn't work for all bipolar II sufferers!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 18, 2015 11:26 AM

Review by dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Thanks Lamictal, my moods are level (no lows or highs),no more rapid cycling or rapid thoughts, feel confident, happy, more energy, haven't had one depressive thought since starting this medication and at my correct dose of 200mg (cut in half and take 1/2 tablet twice per day, works out cheaper this way). Finally found the best medication for me.

February 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Llilys (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: 3 yrs, 150 x 150mg. Too many side effects including total oral decay due to no saliva production.

February 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Review by valchicago:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I took Lamictal for 6 months to treat bipolar and anxiety. As far as I can tell, it did nothing for me. Took forever to titrate up, due to the risk of rash, and am now weaning myself off. Trying Seroquel now, which is showing far more promise.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 12, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by amanda louise (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: works great for mood swings and temper problems, substantially reduced anxiety

February 11, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by mikrw33 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine was a life saver! When it was prescribed for me, my life turned around completely. It helped me control my irrational emotional reactions to things, temper, helped to bring my mood up from below while not causing hypomania, lost a little bit of weight on it. The only thing negative about it is when I first started it, it did make me quite anxious, but that attenuated over time. It also makes me tremor quite severely.

January 31, 2015 12:55 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Gave me horrendous headaches, insomnia and depression. Lack of energy. Also gained weight. Had to come off it after just 8 weeks.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 8:17 AM

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by Ailicec (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: As a mood stabilizer for Bipolar Disorder, Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I was worried about getting the dreaded "Lamictal rash" but never did. My doctor followed the guidelines for increasing the dose slowly and I never had any side effects. I have been on the maintenance dose for several months and I actually feel normal. If there is such a thing. I am currently taking Lamictal in conjunction with the antidepressant, Cymbalta. Finding the right medication(s) can be very frustrating, but please don't give up.

January 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: It has saved my life. Literally.

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Scorpioman (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Seizure Prevention: I had a seizure in July & Oct. 2013. In Nov. 2013 my Neurologist put me on Lamotrigine ER 50MG once a day. Since then, No seizures, and No negative side effects. I like it.

January 1, 2015 5:34 PM

Review by Zina S.:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Imokyourok (taken for less than 1 month):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen, made worse after the birth of my child. I tried various antidepressants which had the usual side effects of headaches, sluggishness, low libido and weight gain. One was a total disaster and triggered a hypo manic episode. I've spent 3 years medication free, with no manic episodes but still struggling with depression. 3 weeks ago I started Lamictal. I know it's early days to call it a win but I immediately felt better. The volume on that horrible self talk has been muted, I feel positive and optimistic. No headaches, no loss of libido and it is weight neutral. I have noticed a few side effects - the first week my skin was very itchy and I'm losing more hair than usual. Hope this subsides.

December 27, 2014 3:36 AM

Review by Anonymous8:

For Anxiety: I've taken it for a week and I have had less anxiety in last couple of days. I hope it continues to help.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 25, 2014 10:09 PM

Review by Leo the Cat:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on antidepressants for many years. The other antidepressants made me hyper, anxious and and I had mood swings (sometimes several during a matter of hours). I am finally being treated by a good psych doc and he prescribed this great mood stabilizer for me. Now on 75 mgs once daily and I have been taking this for 7 weeks. I did have thinning hair; take multivitamin and Vitamin D and notice difference! I feel better, don't get angry at work, moods more even and am able to think clearly. I wake up at night with terrible sweats and don't know what that is about (will discuss with doc next week). I walk a lot and exercise is excellent for the body and mind. Wish I had this medication 30 years ago.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 6:50 AM

Review by Review (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Seizure Prevention: I have nightmares, weight loss (went from 128 to 118 in a few weeks, which is a lot for me), dizziness. Also "the spins" whenever I lay down, which is when my body feels stable but the whole world spins (kind of like being drunk and lying down). No seizures yet but they aren't that common to begin with (1x/year) and I've only been on lamotrigine for a few months. I'm at 300mg/day now and trying to get up to 400mg. Dizziness is pretty bad right now, that rocking feeling you get after being on a boat. I feel that.

December 19, 2014 1:54 PM

Review by Nottheone:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I do like Lamictal as it kind of kept my seizures under control but the side effects on my body and the fact that I still had grand mal seizures more frequently than never I decided to try medical marijuana. I am very pleased to say the the high strains have kept my seizures away entirely.

December 12, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by Chelle202 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have Bipolar 2 & for years was misdiagnosed as being depressed. Fluoxetine made me hypomanic and when unmedicated I suffered prolonged episodes of depression. My most recent depressive episode had lasted 9 months & my levels of anger, aggression, irrational thoughts & behaviour and feelings of utter despair were very frightening. I began taking lamotrogine at 12.5mg dose and slowly titrated up over 10 weeks to 100mg. Even at the 50mg dose my mood was not lifting so reluctantly my psychiatrist introduced venlafaxine which I now take at 150mg. The lamotrogine has stopped my racing thoughts, incessant & excitable talking, my irritability & aggressive outbursts. I have the calm peace of mind & control of my emotions I never thought I would.

November 24, 2014 9:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: I've been on Lamictal for 8 years and am seizure free with no side effects. The only problem I encountered was that I had a seizure the day after my daughter was born because my dosage post-pregnancy was too low. For those planning to have children, I'm happy to say my daughter had no birth defects. However, I chose not to breast feed her because the medicine would pass to her body. Overall, I'm incredibly happy.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by VanessaLa:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on every medicine under the sun (it seems) to manage the hypomania / mania of Bipolar2. Within a few days of starting Lamictal (was on Tegretol) it was as if someone had turned a light on in my head. Is this the way "normal" people think? was one of the first things that struck me. I sleep like a log, have no irritability, almost no anger (other than what would be considered normal). I am able to focus and my creative, impulsive thoughts have decreased enough to be manageable. It's a God send as I would perennially be in a state of hypo mania, which sounds great, but I was physically and emotionally exhausted. My libido is markedly lower but I wonder if that is perhaps an effect of not being hypo manic. I take 20 mg for anxiety.

November 9, 2014 5:30 AM