User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Depression 26 reviews 77 medications

Anxiety 10 reviews 63 medications

5.8
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 503 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lamotrigine

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lamotrigine is an excellent medication for Bipolar II. It helps to even out your mood, but what I found most definitely is helping the depression. Sure it takes a long time to establish a "sweet spot dose" but it's worth the wait. The only troublesome side effect I have had is vision issues, primarily blurred vision -- not debilitating but irritating, yes."

Anonymous February 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm very grateful my psych prescribed lamictal serquel for me. After 20 yrs battling severe mental illness (now diagnosed as bipolar type II) without using medication, I decided to give it a proper chance. A suicidal episode brought me to the clinic, I was properly diagnosed & started meds. It took 3 mths to stabilise my mood by slowing increasing dosage. I've been given my life back!! My quality of life is better than it has ever been in the last 20 yrs, since the onset of my mood disorder. For anyone living w bipolar or a mood disorder, I encourage finding the right med regime, self-education, CBT or ACT & mindfulness, healthy diet & excercise. These lifelong illnesses can be effectively managed just like diabetes - there is a way."

featheredfriend (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "In my opinion, Lamictal is a great medication. It helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was having trouble affording it. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be taking it to this day."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Depression: "I titrated up to 75 and stayed there for about 5 weeks. My depression lightened a bit but it was not effective during my menstrual cycle. Eventually I started experiencing blurry vision and I read that was a common side effect, so I weaned off of it."

LostInSpace18940 January 30, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've take so many medications throughout the years. There was always something I didn't like. I always felt off with every medication. I found out about St John's Wort and it CHANGED MY LIFE! ZERO SIDE EFFECTS! If you're wondering about medications please give St John's wort a try! I feel like me, but a BETTER me! Not a "medicated" me"

Meagan6509 January 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I switched from Depakote to Lamictal after my first hospital stay. I'm currently taking 400mg lamictal and 75mg of Effexor Xr and I feel the most normal I have felt in my entire life. This drug has enabled me to go back to being the awesome person I always knew I could be. Without my manic and depressive states, I am able to concentrate on my studies for the first time in my life and I've never felt better. The difference is night and day."

anon_468642157 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 24, 2016

For Seizure Prevention: "I have had seizures since taking. One year I had 3. My trigger is alcohol and late nights. I was on 300mg pd, and I moved to Spain for 9 months, I decreased my meds to 200 as I was getting dizzy spells. The doctor there said because my lifestyle was more relaxed that it was my body's way of saying I didn't need as much. When I moved back and into my hectic recruitment job I didn't increase it back, ha a fit 2 months later! I had been seizure free for 18 months. But I'd had a drink and not enough sleep. went back up to 300mg (but lost my license again, worst thing ever!). Was nearly 20 months recently and I missed a dose the other morning as ran out and had 1 the next morning! Gutted. Also started the aloe gel stuff and think it had an effect?!"

Nwithers9 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 23, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bi Polar Disorder and had so far tried 4 or 5 combinations of mood stabilisers without success. Started on Lamotragine on a small dose and increased up to 100mg twice a day and felt good for a month. Fell then into a low and increased to 150mg twice a day and this has really helped. I recommend these to anyone who suffers with Bi Polar lows often"

DashingBrian January 22, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I was diagnosed with BPD yrs ago. I find lamictal stabilizes my impulsive behaviours and tones down my anxiety. My Dr says lamictal is good for depression which I agree . It has an antidepressant property. I went off it for awhile just to see if it was still working and I found myself getting progressively more impulsive...... I take Abilify and Brintellix as well. Take good care everyone"

JessicaZ (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 21, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been bipolar for 20 years. I'm a scientist, when I'm working. Lithium has always been helpful but is not so great for depression though it does help if you take it a while. I finally started lamotrigine about a month ago. Lots of friends and professionals I know and trust said I should. I was skeptical since drugs tend to be bad news. After just a month (I titrated up quickly, so I've been on 100 for 2 weeks. probably best not do that there's a fatal skin disease you can get) my low level depression feels better. I'd say it's genuinely beneficial for bipolar depression. A little dizziness but not so bad, and it fades. My friends say there's no evidence that more than 100mg or 150 helps, but it could increase side effects. 100 is good"

sulcus1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

For Depression: "I am currently on a 150mg maintenance dosage. I do take this in combination with other medications because I also have Panic/Anxiety Disorder with Agoraphobia. A year ago I was in such a deep depression (for months). I was not exactly suicidal but often prayed I would go to sleep & not wake up. I began seeing a new psychiatrist & he immediately started me on Lamictal. Literally within weeks I noticed my depression was now under control! I truly believe this medication saved my life. I am definitely still a work in progress, but I am in a much better place. I can actually see the future."

Stacie331 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have always been moody. Sometimes more than other times. My menstrual cycle, children, jobs, school, work, driving, husband, and everything else not mentioned made me mad for no reason. I hated the way I felt when I responded negatively but couldn't do better. This medicine allows me to finally be somewhat normal. I am excited about all the things go above now. They are full. Like I once had hoped"

Lori31yrs January 15, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have several people in my family who has bipolar disorder but did not like the fact that my depression and manic symptoms were results of this. While I was in the military they tried numerous medications, from clonazepam and celexa, to trazodone and effexor. Finally one of my Doctors decided to try me on lamotrigine and see how it works. I must tell you quite honestly that this is one of the best medications I have ever tried to combat my bipolar disorder. During the entire time I was being treated for this I had to deal with an injury I had during the war. The military's option was to dope me up to my eyeballs with opiates, which unsurprisingly made my mood unbelievably euphoric constantly."

Beaker82 January 2, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "On it for 6 years 200mg twice a day. This was a life-changing drug for me I also take Ritalin which has been working for the last 2 years. The lamictal really makes me feel like I have a repaired foundation in my personality. The Ritalin has added to my concentration and keeps me calm and even keeled. I had tried many other medications from my psychiatrist that worked for a short time, but nothing has been as long lasting as these 2 medications. One of the best reasons I have for knowing that they are doing their job is.. most people who know me such as friends , family and fiance would like to give my doctor a great big kiss.."

Surfcrab (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "It was my life saver drug. I have PTSD as bad as a war veteran they diagnosed. I take 300 mg a day and the flight reflex is greatly reduced. I am not always on fight mode now. I have been taking it for 9 years and am not willing to try anything else at this time. I can function in the world today."

PTSD Manageable Now (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I learned to live happy in a depressive low. Lamictal, or lomotrogene messed that up. I'm very conscious of my emotions as a lot of people who have bipolar and choose not to take medication. So I know my aggression triggers, I know my anger sometimes comes on and I just want to argue. I know when I am manic. I know when I am sad and having suicidal thoughts. That 10 years no mood stabilizers, depressed the whole time but able to manage it as the disease This drug now it could have been the combo of lomotrugene and clonazepam. My brain began to fight itself I turned into a destructive manic with into a week I was trying to leave my gf and child, for a past ex delusional thoughts she was still in love with me. "

moosejay December 28, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for : "Lamotrigine is a god send! Changed my life, wish I'd gone on it years ago. Always felt held back due to instability of moods. Suffered since teenager, thought to be ADD and anxiety. After traumatic divorce (my ex was a drug addict), professionals diagnosed me with cyclothymia. Was afraid to go on meds, being sensitive to drugs, and bad time with the pill. I started taking Lithium- felt fatigued, dehydrated and weird appetite. Switched to Wellbutin, made me lethargic and gave severe brain fog. As a writer and artist, I need to feel things! 5 months ago, a horribly bad week made me willing to try anything. Started @ 25 mg, raised by 25mg every 2 weeks until 200mg. I feel amazing, my life and work have blossomed! Feel grateful to be alive!"

SadnessToSinging (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 27, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "After 7 Years of trying to get my heavy bipolarity under control with 20 different combinations of pills, I am stable now since January 2012. 300mg of Lamotrigine to keep me going during the day and 750mg of seroquel before bedtime to make me sleep. No side effects whatsoever no problems when I forget to take one of the 100mg doses of lamotrigine during the day, except a little fatigue. When I forget my 750mg of seroquel before bedtime, I don't fall asleep, so I get up to take them. When I forget them entirely I have a cold turkey all of the next day. Shivers, diarhhea, fatigue etc. Hope that I'll be stable for the rest of my days :-) Michel 61 years and still going strong, thanks to this wonderful medicine."

El Loco December 25, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have taken Lamictal for 12 years. I was taking 150mgs, now 75mg daily. I have not been manic the entire 12 years, and that is what I wanted to prevent. I still feel sad and scared sometimes but not manic. I am an introvert and like to have a lot of alone time to read, work on the computer, etc. so it's not going to make you an extrovert if you really aren't one. I have medical insurance that helps pay for the brand name, since the generic doesn't work for me. I ended up in the hospital on the generic. I will never stop taking Lamictal, because I don't ever want to not be in control of myself."

Larry6521 December 22, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "So far I"

Pheonix_swed (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have had SI on and off since I could remember. This changed my life. I've only had a suicidal thought once or twice in the last 8 months of treatment. I've had a lot of stressful situations pop up during this time and I am thrilled with how well I was able to manage. Only on 100mg once daily was with 60mg duloxetine and 150 bupropion. I wish I didn't waste all these years struggling. Why wasn't this in my life 15 years ago?"

Swampcat (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2015

For Depression: "I have been on various anti depressants since my late teens. Everything's from fluoxetine citalopram, clomipramine and in a full breakdown; a combination of mirtazapine and Effexor. It was this last one which took me sky high and so I stopped, also due to 30kg weight gain. After a couple of months I was suicidal and because I was diagnosed with bipolar since the mania on the antidepressants I was recommended going on to a cocktail of quetiapine, depakote and lithium. No way was I taking that with the side effects and the horror stories about weight gain as I've lost the 30kg in weight I put on. Lamotrigine I heard was the only one for helping without the weight gain so I gave it a go. It took about 2 months but it works a treat now on 300mg"

Colin charles (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have had Bipolar 2 for seven years,had been on serequel and lithium. I'm still on seroquel and have just started taking Lamotrigine,the change in mood was amazing. I asked to change my shrink and he was a great help. I do feel 100 times better."

maxwell63 December 19, 2015

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was on lamictal for about 5 months. Knocked out the hypomania but did nothing for my depression; it made me feel completely numb which was worse than being depressed/in pain. Also made me horribly nauseous for the entire time I was on it."

Invisiblecreeper December 19, 2015

For Anxiety: "I started taking Lamictal after going to a PHP program. This medication worked really well for me but I was only on it for 2 months because I developed a rash and acne. It made my obsessive and thoughts occur less. I was able to handle situations with more logic and less emotional outbursts. I mean it truly was a great medication. However, my skin has always been clear but it was making me breakout more than I ever have in my life. I also felt like my hair was growing out thinner. If my emotions were totally out of control and life threatening than yes, I would have stayed on it despit the skin and hair problems. However for me it wasn't worth it. I would recommend at least trying it out."

Jessiee December 14, 2015