User Reviews for Lamotrigine

Also known as: Lamictal, Lamictal CD, Lamictal ODT, Lamictal XR

Learn more about Lamotrigine.

Epilepsy 1 reviews 39 medications

Anxiety 11 reviews 63 medications

6.2
Summary of Lamotrigine reviews 537 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamotrigine

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Been taking this for yrs and has helped me so much."

S0CRAT35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I have been taking lamotrigine for 12 years now having had seizures for 35 years. At first I did have flu like symptoms and a slight rash but they soon went. They stopped my seizures which is fantastic but I do find that when writing I can't think of the word I want to say or how to spell it!! I have always been good at spelling and certainly not had any trouble with words, lol, but I will put up with it knowing I don't have the seizures anymore. Does anyone get dizzy or have double vision when maybe taking a tablet on an empty stomach?"

Pipintosh April 21, 2016

For Depression: "Lamotrigine definitely made my depression worse. Got off it."

Pixie bee (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 16, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Seizure Prevention: "I went through study after study as a kid without diagnosis. I found out 6 months after I had my 1st child at age 22 I had epilepsy. The pregnancy increased my symptoms and seizure to 3-5 times a day. The first med they put me on was lamictal and I stayed on this med for 8 yrs without any distracting symptoms. After I divorced I tried to go off them due to no insurance, I soon realized how well they did work. I ended up going back on them within two months because my seizure ended up coming back as soon as the med eased out of my system. It has now been a combined 12 yrs on this med and I don't intend on changing anytime soon. If you find something that works, it doesn't matter how many reviews you read until you see how your body reacts."

RachaelAB April 12, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Has anyone experienced dizzy spells from this medication? I started at 25mg last week & now I'm at 50mg. I have read nothing but wonderful reviews on Lamictal. I'm waiting for my doctor to call me back."

Kim (taken for less than 1 month) April 7, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

For Anxiety: "Lamotrigine is my wonder drug. I was suffering from debilitating, anxiety. My doctor tried several antidepressants (Zoloft, Celexa, Lexapro, Paxil, Vybrid), and I had no benefits; only side effects. We also tried all kinds of benzodiazepines and they did nothing for me. Ambien would grant me only 3 hours of sleep. My symptoms would go from clammy hands and feet, heart racing and high blood pressure to sheer terror. My first day (really) on Lamotrigine and I already felt the symptoms subside. On the following days I felt even better. In two weeks I was feeling like myself again, so much that I was able to jump on a plane and travel to Brazil by myself. If nothing is working for you, give Lamotrigine a try. I am grateful I did."

BRUSA (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 7, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "There has never been a better medication for me to help contain my moods. I am a very emotional person and go from one extreme to the other from morning to night. My doctor says I am not bipolar, but that I have borderline personality disorder. I am also anorexic. This medication helps manage my mood. I would not be able to go from day to day without this! I have been on 225mgs for 5 years. No side effects that I am aware of. I wish I could go higher on the dose but it interferes with birth control medication (estrogen)."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm bipolar and has taking lamictal 2,5 years right now. It is the best medicine i ever had. Before lamictal i was given lots of ssri medicine and neuroleptika who did that i was feeling worse and gave me 10 extra kg. When i changed medicine to lamictal it took looong time for me till it start working. Not feeling any side effects and i'm on 300 mg."

skinnypatrini (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 4, 2016

For Seizure Prevention: "I have been on lamotrigine for about 25 years. I can tell you that this drug has saved my life. I have been on many different doses so I know what works for me. I was taking all of my pills in the morning but I still had seizures. The doses I was taking gave me blurred vision one's and a while. My Dr said that was to much at one time and it did not last the full 24 hours my doses was changed to every 12 hour and haven't had a seizure since. I hope this will help someone."

Brutod (taken for 10 years or more) April 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on various antidepressants and benzo's for 25 years due to depression (bipolar II) and anxiety. Lamictal has changed my life. The depression lifted and the anxiety went away. I dropped the Xanax and Prozac and feel unbelievably well on 300mg of just lamictal. I've felt this way for two years so far. I wish I had found it years ago. I do think that the Prozac and Xanax were causing anxiety/depression/exhaustion. I'm doing fantastic on the lamictal alone."

Upstater March 28, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I used to be on Seroquel for my bipolar 1. It basically ruined my high school education, making it almost impossible to wake up and stay awake in the mornings because it was physically painful to endure. Lamictal changed all of that and turned my life around. I have now been on lamictal for 4 years. I have experienced no negative side effects. I am now in college with a 3.5 GPA. My mood is now more controllable, but it doesn't drug me to the point where I am a zombie or a different person. I feel like I can still be extremely euphoric, which is something I don't want to give up. I do sometimes still feel very angry or depressed, but I am able to manage and contain it better than I used to. I highly recommend this to those with bipolar"

Forestfae March 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "ok. Well. Im 30 years old was diagnosed bipolar when i was twelve. I've been on an extensive list of drugs that never worked. So at 15 i stopped taking anything over the counter and self medicated for years I am now comfortable with the idea I may be on something for the rest of my life and i feel this stuff is actually working for me. It may be because I'm older My brain( for the most part) has developed where its gonna stay.. Hormones are different etc. My only concern is how quickly your body adjusts to it and you have to keep increasing dosage. I hope we will get to an appropriate level quickly to maintain an even head.. But honestly feel this has made a significant difference for me.."

boogers1234 March 26, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Lamictal over a year ago to treat my Bipolar II and am currently taking a 200mg dose. It has completely changed my life. I no longer obsessively compulsively shop. I can focus clearly. I no longer have raging mood swings. It controls most of my manic episode symptoms but doesn't really help with depression or manic hyper sexuality otherwise it would be 10/10. I'm working on the depression with Latuda with a small amount of success. Currently I do feel flat, calm and sullen but I can't say that is the Lamictal, it could just be the depression. The pros out way the cons."

GBlacks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am a creative artist and love what I do but suffering from severe depression has made it hard to create. Bipolar 2 was my diagnosis and with it came prescribed drugs such as Effexor, Abilify, and other antidepressants to try and cope. But, after 10 years of trial and error I found the perfect prescription, Lamotrigine, 100mg. My doctor recommended Abilify along with Lamotrigine. I was weaned off of Abilify and just continued Lamotrigine. Wow, did I notice a difference. I knew my cycles of depression pretty well, and I could feel them come. But, I never went into a deep spiral of depression ever since. I feel as if it is a life preserver in stormy water...I can stay afloat. It stabilizes my moods and keeps me focused on being creatIve."

Artisan March 18, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed for OCD 20 years ago, went on zoloft, prozac, paxil and celexa, none of them worked in a long run. So I stop taking meds, but at times, I would get depress for no reason for weeks. I have constant thoughts running in my mind, mostly I am sad, and small things can make me angry, sensitive to sound(phone ringing, door bell, people talking). Now I was diagnosed as Bi polar,and was put on Lamictal 25mg and after 2 weeks increase to 50mg and than 75mg. Thoughts process was gone and was feeling happy. Anger and sensitivity to sound were still there. But 6 weeks on Lamictal, I had sore throat and than running nose, sneezing, flu type symptoms and than I notice rash on my chest, so I stop Lamictal. anyone with similar experi"

sam300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "I got diagnosed with borderline personality disorder not too long ago. I had never used any type of meications before I got lamotrigine prescribed and honestly it has worked wonders on me. Before I had strong mood swings which went from morning depression to extended periods of anxiety. After I started taking the meds my anxiety has gone down a lot, I no longer have morning depression and overall it has helped me out with no side effects aside from my short term memory but it isn't too bad."

danbu March 15, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started taking Lamictal to treat my bi-polar 2 disorder. At first, the medication really helped my constantly manic depression and I loved it. Then I noticed the fogginess and my brain felt like it wasn't as sharp. The more my doctor increased my dose, the more I started to swell. Eventually I had gained 5 lbs just in water retention. M joints would ache and I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to Topamax and I can really tell a difference! I loved the emotional effect from the Lamictal but the physical side effects were unreal."

G- NUTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I had taken many antidepressants and they never worked. I finally had such a severe depression I was debilitated and would cry for hours a day so I finally went to a Psychiatrist and was diagnosed with Bipolar II and prescribed lamotrigine (generic lamictal) and within a month the severe depression had lifted and it's been gone ever since, that was 10 years ago. Of course I still have lows being bipolar but it is no where near what I had experienced prior to lamictal. My depression and bipolar is manageable with lamictal alone except when I get hypo manic and even then it's manageable without additional meds. It saved my life and I will take it forever."

Honeybee28 (taken for 10 years or more) March 6, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have recently started on Lamictal. I must say that I felt positive affects within 2 weeks. I am on a cocktail of medications to manage bipolar. Effexor Ce 150, Seroquel xr 200, Seroquel ir 25, Dothep 25 and now Lamictal 50. I haven't felt this stable for years. My psychiatrist would like to leave my medications as is for 12 months to give me some peace from the mood swings. Her goal then is to reduce the Effexor and seroquel. I can't wait for that day. But for now I am enjoying the stability."

Strawbz77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've suffered with undiagnosed bipolar 2 for almost 3 decades. For almost 20 years I was on various antidepressants that didn't work, and made my depression worsen. My primary doctor suggested I see a psychiatrist for my lingering depression. Due to the stigma of mental illness, I put it off, but finally saw a psychiatrist. She diagnosed my condition, and I started a low, 25 mg dosage of lamotrigine. My dosage will slowly increase over the next 6 months to a year. The first time I entered the psychiatrist's office, I was filled with melancholy and regret. My first follow up visit to the psychiatrist, I was filled with hope and resilience."

Kramer and Camaro March 2, 2016