User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 29 medications

7.7
Summary of Lamictal reviews 268 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 22, 2015 8:39 PM

Review by Thekimmer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I experienced depressive episodes once every 10 years or so, 18 months duration. When my husband died suddenly of coronary problems in '89, I was in a down stage--which didn't change until the Dr. and I found Lamictal. Tried 11 meds before without result, still locked into depression. Was tired or hyper while we worked out the dosage. Very slight hair loss was a small price to pay for a new life! Friends even remarked on the favorable attitude change. I can't thank the developers enough and it's a shame it doesn't work for all bipolar II sufferers!

February 18, 2015 11:26 AM

Review by dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Thanks Lamictal, my moods are level (no lows or highs),no more rapid cycling or rapid thoughts, feel confident, happy, more energy, haven't had one depressive thought since starting this medication and at my correct dose of 200mg (cut in half and take 1/2 tablet twice per day, works out cheaper this way). Finally found the best medication for me.

February 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Llilys (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: 3 yrs, 150 x 150mg. Too many side effects including total oral decay due to no saliva production.

February 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Review by valchicago:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Lamictal for 6 months to treat bipolar and anxiety. As far as I can tell, it did nothing for me. Took forever to titrate up, due to the risk of rash, and am now weaning myself off. Trying Seroquel now, which is showing far more promise.

February 12, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by amanda louise (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: works great for mood swings and temper problems, substantially reduced anxiety

February 11, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by Ailicec (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: As a mood stabilizer for Bipolar Disorder, Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I was worried about getting the dreaded "Lamictal rash" but never did. My doctor followed the guidelines for increasing the dose slowly and I never had any side effects. I have been on the maintenance dose for several months and I actually feel normal. If there is such a thing. I am currently taking Lamictal in conjunction with the antidepressant, Cymbalta. Finding the right medication(s) can be very frustrating, but please don't give up.

January 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: It has saved my life. Literally.

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Zina S.:

For Bipolar Disorder: While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Imokyourok (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen, made worse after the birth of my child. I tried various antidepressants which had the usual side effects of headaches, sluggishness, low libido and weight gain. One was a total disaster and triggered a hypo manic episode. I've spent 3 years medication free, with no manic episodes but still struggling with depression. 3 weeks ago I started Lamictal. I know it's early days to call it a win but I immediately felt better. The volume on that horrible self talk has been muted, I feel positive and optimistic. No headaches, no loss of libido and it is weight neutral. I have noticed a few side effects - the first week my skin was very itchy and I'm losing more hair than usual. Hope this subsides.

December 27, 2014 3:36 AM

Review by Nottheone:

For Seizure Prevention: I do like Lamictal as it kind of kept my seizures under control but the side effects on my body and the fact that I still had grand mal seizures more frequently than never I decided to try medical marijuana. I am very pleased to say the the high strains have kept my seizures away entirely.

December 12, 2014 8:40 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Seizure Prevention: I've been on Lamictal for 8 years and am seizure free with no side effects. The only problem I encountered was that I had a seizure the day after my daughter was born because my dosage post-pregnancy was too low. For those planning to have children, I'm happy to say my daughter had no birth defects. However, I chose not to breast feed her because the medicine would pass to her body. Overall, I'm incredibly happy.

November 12, 2014 9:50 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by AntoniaM:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

149 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by royal yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I sing the praises of Lamictal. I have been on 150mg in the morning for over 7 years along with Seroquel XL 100 mg at night. The combination has changed my life. I could not imagine life without depression and anxiety before I started these medicines. No side effects from either one. I feel fortunate.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Wizi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I felt it necessary to leave a review because of how well this medication has worked for me. However, I have been quite seriously bipolar (with panic disorder) for over 30 years. As you can imagine I have been on many medications. About two years ago nearly everything had gone wrong in my life - including being homeless and drinking far too much. I pulled out of that with the help of Seroquel. But I was still having really really bad times. Then I met someone who suggested this medication. Well it was not instant but slowly I started becoming "normal". Normal to me is wonderful. Now I hardly drink.. Why - because I drank to cure myself.. I actually wake up and look forward to the day. I feel young again!

163 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Missme2314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Duration 3 years I am 23. This medication changed my life and I am not exactly sure why I take it because I feel "normal" I wasn't bipolar however I was just flat out raging deeply depressed would stay up all night. I did crazy things. I also had horrible life threatening anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder and sitting still. I almost stopped taking it when I finally went to a DR because I couldn't go to college anymore because I was a complete wreck all the time. Every tiny little thing threw me into anger and depression and jealousy. Medication made me sick in beginning but the Dr told me to keep taking it which this is how these medicines work. After around 3 months. I was NOT depressed EVER, slight mood but I'm OCD and moody in general! Anti-depressant did not work.

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:31 AM

Review by tigerliyl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've gone from 25, 50,75,100 and been on 200mg a day for 4 weeks now. I've been on lithium, Seroquel, Seroquel XR and could not handle the side effects of all. Lamictal has been magic. I can feel the change completely, I just feel like everything is a little 'slower' and that I'm not racing all the time. Bipolar 2. Best medication I have been on by far and can honestly say that this is one I plan to stick to. The side effects were small but there, dizziness when standing, headache and a little nausea for the first 6 weeks on and off but nothing compared to the emotions of bipolar.

114 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 7:24 PM