User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 7 reviews 28 medications

Bipolar Disorder 303 reviews 33 medications

8.5
Seizure Prevention 37 reviews 32 medications

7.5
Summary of Lamictal reviews 347 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "For years I had been (mis)treated for clinical unipolar. I went through many SSRIs, but each one "hit the wall" - had only limited effect on the deepest depression, and none as a maintenance drug. Changed pyschs. She suggested an off-label use of Lamotrigene. Within a couple of weeks I felt so much better! We scaled back (and eliminated) Effexor SSRI. I continued to get better. She moved away, so I had to find another psychiatrist - or psych nurse. The new psych nurse did an interview, and said I was being treated for the wrong disease. I felt better because Lamotrigene was working on my bi-polar! 5 years later, I'm still doing well - mood swings moderated, deep depression less deep and less frequent."

Sandy Beach (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Been taking this for yrs and has helped me so much."

S0CRAT35 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Started at 25 mg upped to 50 then 100 over 2 week periods. Feel absolutely horrible. Had rash on face at onset now I feel dizzy, lightheaded, headache, can't handle any smells or smoke, nausea, acid reflux, burping and bruising. Have backed down to 50 and eventually to 25 to get the hell off! Can't drive, go anywhere or function."

Bunnielulu (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the first medication out of all the meds I've tried (lithium, seroquel) to stabilize my moods on a daily basis. My mood has never been this stable from as far as I can remember. It took a few months to work though, and dosage is really critical. Going from 100mg to 200mg made a BIG difference. I also started taking more at night which helps keeps my irritability down in the morning. I haven't had any side effects at all from this, except decrease in appetite. Being already skinny, this is a little disappointing, however I'd take that any day over depression."

PoppingHappy April 22, 2016

For Seizure Prevention "I went through study after study as a kid without diagnosis. I found out 6 months after I had my 1st child at age 22 I had epilepsy. The pregnancy increased my symptoms and seizure to 3-5 times a day. The first med they put me on was lamictal and I stayed on this med for 8 yrs without any distracting symptoms. After I divorced I tried to go off them due to no insurance, I soon realized how well they did work. I ended up going back on them within two months because my seizure ended up coming back as soon as the med eased out of my system. It has now been a combined 12 yrs on this med and I don't intend on changing anytime soon. If you find something that works, it doesn't matter how many reviews you read until you see how your body reacts."

RachaelAB April 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder in 2005 and tried a variety of things, none of which worked, and actually some of them had bad side effects (Seroquel, for example). I tried Lamictal as a last-ditch effort, but was apprehensive due to the Stevens-Johnson syndrome issue but that didn't happen to me. I'm now on 350mg of the drug since then and although I can say it has treated my depression, it has not worked all that well for controlling bipolar symptoms, mainly the buying sprees and bad on the spot decision making (thinking nothing can harm me). I have been seeing commercials on tv for Latuda and so I might ask my doctor about that. Also there are some other side effects of the Lamictal that aren't pleasant ..."

MiataBear (taken for 10 years or more) April 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bipolar 2, bipolar with depression, bipolar without mania... The main thing I noticed about Lamictal is that it seemed to have helped with ADHD symptoms, that I really didn't know I had, until I read the symptoms for that. I was chronically late, my whole adult life. I lost almost every job I had due to lateness. I had other ADHD symptoms, but that was not my diagnosis. Guess I thought all those things were just character flaws. After I started taking Lamictal, I was not late anymore! It seemed to have helped with depression, but any benefit from that has seemed to come back. I came to this site looking for extended, long range use of Lamictal."

msluckey1 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I used to be on Seroquel for my bipolar 1. It basically ruined my high school education, making it almost impossible to wake up and stay awake in the mornings because it was physically painful to endure. Lamictal changed all of that and turned my life around. I have now been on lamictal for 4 years. I have experienced no negative side effects. I am now in college with a 3.5 GPA. My mood is now more controllable, but it doesn't drug me to the point where I am a zombie or a different person. I feel like I can still be extremely euphoric, which is something I don't want to give up. I do sometimes still feel very angry or depressed, but I am able to manage and contain it better than I used to. I highly recommend this to those with bipolar"

Forestfae March 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "ok. Well. Im 30 years old was diagnosed bipolar when i was twelve. I've been on an extensive list of drugs that never worked. So at 15 i stopped taking anything over the counter and self medicated for years I am now comfortable with the idea I may be on something for the rest of my life and i feel this stuff is actually working for me. It may be because I'm older My brain( for the most part) has developed where its gonna stay.. Hormones are different etc. My only concern is how quickly your body adjusts to it and you have to keep increasing dosage. I hope we will get to an appropriate level quickly to maintain an even head.. But honestly feel this has made a significant difference for me.."

boogers1234 March 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal over a year ago to treat my Bipolar II and am currently taking a 200mg dose. It has completely changed my life. I no longer obsessively compulsively shop. I can focus clearly. I no longer have raging mood swings. It controls most of my manic episode symptoms but doesn't really help with depression or manic hyper sexuality otherwise it would be 10/10. I'm working on the depression with Latuda with a small amount of success. Currently I do feel flat, calm and sullen but I can't say that is the Lamictal, it could just be the depression. The pros out way the cons."

GBlacks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed for OCD 20 years ago, went on zoloft, prozac, paxil and celexa, none of them worked in a long run. So I stop taking meds, but at times, I would get depress for no reason for weeks. I have constant thoughts running in my mind, mostly I am sad, and small things can make me angry, sensitive to sound(phone ringing, door bell, people talking). Now I was diagnosed as Bi polar,and was put on Lamictal 25mg and after 2 weeks increase to 50mg and than 75mg. Thoughts process was gone and was feeling happy. Anger and sensitivity to sound were still there. But 6 weeks on Lamictal, I had sore throat and than running nose, sneezing, flu type symptoms and than I notice rash on my chest, so I stop Lamictal. anyone with similar experi"

sam300 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal to treat my bi-polar 2 disorder. At first, the medication really helped my constantly manic depression and I loved it. Then I noticed the fogginess and my brain felt like it wasn't as sharp. The more my doctor increased my dose, the more I started to swell. Eventually I had gained 5 lbs just in water retention. M joints would ache and I couldn't take it anymore. My doctor switched me to Topamax and I can really tell a difference! I loved the emotional effect from the Lamictal but the physical side effects were unreal."

G- NUTS (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 9, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have recently started on Lamictal. I must say that I felt positive affects within 2 weeks. I am on a cocktail of medications to manage bipolar. Effexor Ce 150, Seroquel xr 200, Seroquel ir 25, Dothep 25 and now Lamictal 50. I haven't felt this stable for years. My psychiatrist would like to leave my medications as is for 12 months to give me some peace from the mood swings. Her goal then is to reduce the Effexor and seroquel. I can't wait for that day. But for now I am enjoying the stability."

Strawbz77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've suffered with undiagnosed bipolar 2 for almost 3 decades. For almost 20 years I was on various antidepressants that didn't work, and made my depression worsen. My primary doctor suggested I see a psychiatrist for my lingering depression. Due to the stigma of mental illness, I put it off, but finally saw a psychiatrist. She diagnosed my condition, and I started a low, 25 mg dosage of lamotrigine. My dosage will slowly increase over the next 6 months to a year. The first time I entered the psychiatrist's office, I was filled with melancholy and regret. My first follow up visit to the psychiatrist, I was filled with hope and resilience."

Kramer and Camaro March 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication saved my life! I had severe depression since the age of 12. I've been on Cymbalta, Celexa, Zoloft etc. Nothing worked. Was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. On several occasions tried to take my own life. The last time I nearly succeeded, was on a 72 hour hold. The Dr. proscribed Lamictal at a low dose of 25mg. Gradually increased in increments of 25mg. I'm now taking 150mg. at bedtime and I no longer have thoughts of suicide, hopelessness or despair. I've been taking Lamictal for 2yrs. now, and I can honestly say that I enjoy life for the first time. Don't give up on this medication as it takes time to work. For me, it was about 2 months. I didn't have any side effects, but everyone is different. Good luck and God Bless!"

Carmia (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Did not help, Was on it for several months. If anything, it made my irritability worse and my temper shorter."

marbelt (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2016

For Seizure Prevention "I have been on Lamictal now for 15 years. We started at around 600 mg/day,but gradually reduced this to 250 g/day,and then after a couple of small seizures this was upped to 300g and I now take200 g at night and 100g in the morning. My doctor says Lamictal dosage must be minimum 250 g day to be effective, with a maxi dosage possible of 1 200 g / day. We did try some Lamictal plus Keppra onthe way,but reverted tojust Lamictal and that was fine. I have had very few seizures since I started - maybe once every3 years - but recently got 2 when I went to Australia and had had a 30 hour trip. Stress and alcohol are linked to my attacks. I have very light epilepsy discovered at age 32. I am very happy with it"

Errollflynn (taken for 10 years or more) February 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal gave me two ulcers, failed a drug screen for one of the best jobs around (said I had PCP in my system), debilitating headaches and gained an immense amount of weight. I was hospitalized for attempted suicide and my doc got mad when I weaned myself off. Having said that, I know lots of people that has had great success with it. I guess it all depends on the individual. Not all bipolar cases are the same."

JenfromTN February 23, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I was very tearful when my doctor prescribed Lamictal because I had only been on SSRI medications in the past (they really messed me up and I was hospitalized). My doctor prescribed me Lamicatal at 25mg for 2 weeks, then 50mg for another 2 weeks, with maintenance at 100mg after that. I was tearful because I was terrified to relive what had happened before. Much to my surprise, Lamictal is what I consider my 'life saver'. I feel my moods have been maintained and balanced since beginning this medication. I have not experienced any weight gain at all only headaches from time to time. My libido has actually increased and I read that this medication can affect the menstrual cycle (which it has for me. has made them lighter!). I love Lamictal !"

OrganicSatanic February 22, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "This medicine works great. With no side effects that I can remember. I wish I was still on this medicine. It's wayyy way better than Zyprexa and all those other meds that make you gain weight and make you tired all the time. This medicine makes you feel normal."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Hello! I have not been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, but I am 18 and have felt overly sensitive and quick to extreme emotions all my life. I have a trauma history, and have been prescribed Zoloft, Prozac, and Trazadone to cope with my rape trauma, ptsd, etc.. While these meds have helped a bit, My mood swings and my emotional scale still really effects my relationships and lifestyle. I've been feeling really hopeless and self hating lately because of the way I am and have always been. I am being prescribed Lamotrigine by my Psychiatrist and Doctor. I am a little scared at how it will effect me. I hate feeling numb and non-present. I want emotions I just want to control them and not for them to control me. I want to feel whole someday."

Turbur February 19, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "In my opinion, Lamictal is a great medication. It helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was having trouble affording it. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be taking it to this day."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've take so many medications throughout the years. There was always something I didn't like. I always felt off with every medication. I found out about St John's Wort and it CHANGED MY LIFE! ZERO SIDE EFFECTS! If you're wondering about medications please give St John's wort a try! I feel like me, but a BETTER me! Not a "medicated" me"

Meagan6509 January 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bi Polar Disorder and had so far tried 4 or 5 combinations of mood stabilisers without success. Started on Lamotragine on a small dose and increased up to 100mg twice a day and felt good for a month. Fell then into a low and increased to 150mg twice a day and this has really helped. I recommend these to anyone who suffers with Bi Polar lows often"

DashingBrian January 22, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been bipolar for 20 years. I'm a scientist, when I'm working. Lithium has always been helpful but is not so great for depression though it does help if you take it a while. I finally started lamotrigine about a month ago. Lots of friends and professionals I know and trust said I should. I was skeptical since drugs tend to be bad news. After just a month (I titrated up quickly, so I've been on 100 for 2 weeks. probably best not do that there's a fatal skin disease you can get) my low level depression feels better. I'd say it's genuinely beneficial for bipolar depression. A little dizziness but not so bad, and it fades. My friends say there's no evidence that more than 100mg or 150 helps, but it could increase side effects. 100 is good"

sulcus1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016