User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 5 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 260 reviews 46 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 32 reviews 33 medications

7.4
Summary of Lamictal reviews 297 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "If my mania wasn't a thing to be reckoned with, I'd stop taking this. My hair has been thinning for the past year, and without Abilify in my combination of meds I'm a total zombie."

Ori (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I had to stop taking lithium because it was damaging my kidneys and I got really sick, so I had to turn to Lamictal and expected it to not be as good. But it really is. The only downside is that since you have to slowly increase your dose to avoid the terrible rash, it might take a while for you to get to a level where it's helping as much as it can. But once you get up to the dose that's right for you, it's awesome and I haven't noticed any bad side effects."

Eli Kaito January 19, 2013

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Nothing noticed during loading, once I got to 150 mg I felt absolutely fantastic, I have tried many other medicines. This one seems to have the least side effects for me and makes me feel like a "normal" functioning human."

Exhaustedmama January 9, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this for 2 weeks and it has saved my life. I started to feel much better after only 4 days, racing thoughts were gone - the only side effect is nausea, and loss of appetite which is ok. I also take lithium (am weaning off after 10 yrs on) and Paxil 40 mg. I wish I had been on this years ago."

maggie.may January 2, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "My experience with this medicine is positive especially since my recent dose increase. Before, getting up in the morning was hard."

Fishmama (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "After experiencing severe depression since middle school, I had been misdiagnosed and prescribed several different antidepressants, which only made my then-undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder worse. Finally in 2007 I was correctly diagnosed with a mixed/manic episode, and began taking Lamictal. I have had zero side effects whatsoever, and it stabilized my mood swings immediately. I am now supposed to take 200mg twice a day, but after 5 years of the icky-tasting pill, I tend to skip doses every couple of days. Probably as a result, my depression has come back, but at least I haven't experienced the manic/mixed episodes that I used to have before Lamictal! I can truly say that this medication is a lifesaver, although it seems to have "worn off". "

scratchyournose (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 18, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on Lamictal for 2 years, 400mg a day and I can't say enough positive things about the medication. The only downside was the time it initially took to get to the dosage that my doctor and I found to be effective for me. I would say before I noticed it was working was over 2 months. Which I know seems like an eternity when you're desperate, feeling crazy & at times suicidal, which I was. I haven't had any side effects and I'm so thankful for Lamictal!"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 12, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on this one for 10 to 12 year this one work for me ."

judykaye (taken for 10 years or more) December 11, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I just started taking 25 mg a day a few days ago. So far I'm tired after taking it and very thirsty. I do feel good after the drowsiness wears off and am already starting to feel good. My jaw hurts a little and slight headache. I will post again in a few weeks."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 13, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a female, 29 yrs old. I have been depressed since I was 14yrs, my mind races constantly and I have mood changes and a bad temper that turns in to severe anger (rage). My Psychiatrist prescribed me Lamictal and it really works. I have had no side effects and my mood is stable and controlled. I have been on it for 2 years and feel good."

Anonymous October 14, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "After being unstable for years this medication has changed my life. I have been stable for two years now and wouldn't change for anything in the world. It has changed my life"

monmmelt38 October 8, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Vivid dreams, nightmares, night terrors, sleep paralysis, frequent awakenings during sleep, thought blocking, memory lapses, word retrieval problems, concentration. Sleep disorders eventually fade but they were certainly debilitating. After 200 mg my mother reported I had strange behavior a few times that I don't remember. Besides these side-effects it has a very noticeable effect on depression. I would risk all those adverse reactions for this pill. Saved my life."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been taking it for 2 years. Stopped my seriously depressed moods 100%. My hyper moods as well, although did not have these as often. I was severely depressed and couldn't go to work, angry, and my mind was spinning all night. This was going on for years. I never realized it could have been a chemical imbalance until I "flipped" from giving up on life, to "everything is great! What was I thinking!" Then back to giving up again within 3 hours. Lamictal has made all of this stop. It's wonderful to be "normal" again."

Anonymous August 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I love this medication. Slowly my emotions are getting stable! The first few weeks are rough because it hadn't taken effect. Wait it out and hopefully it will help you too!"

sasha007 August 1, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It works great at first then you have to keep increasing the amount every two weeks. By about a week into each increase I feel like its not working and I feel mania coming on. I always know because I start biting my fingernail. I'm about two months into and really think I should find something stronger. Or combine it with something else. You are not supposed to drink alcohol but that is he only way I have found to even out it not being strong enough for me. I you are taking it, and it is working for you, that is great!"

Anonymous July 18, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on many mood stabilizers over the yrs for bi-polar 1. I have stuck with Lamictal because it hasn't caused distressing side effects that are difficult to live with, such as tremors and restlessness."

bmomma (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on this medication since 2006. I had no side effects or problems. It worked well, we had to keep increasing my dosage on it though. I also combined it with Depakote, which apparently raises your Lamictal levels. Yes you can become toxic on this medication like Depakote. I had to get off the medication because I became toxic, I was taking 300mg a day and 1250mg of Depakote daily. My symptoms were drunk look, double vision, slurred speech, short term memory loss, I started bumping into walls, my eyes were glazed over. I just got stupid towards the end. I even went to the hospital telling them I was toxic, they did not believe me. It can happen, I guess I became intolerant of the medication."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Well, I don't know what to say. If only I would have been taking lamotrigine when I was younger. I've been having moods swings and anger since I can remember, since the age of 11. I am 31 now and this is the only medicine that makes me feel the way I knew I should feel. I have no side effects. The worst thing of having bipolar 2 was dealing with my horrible anger problems and having people scared of me. I used to hold on to the fact that my son was the only reason I was alive but lamotrigine has given me a new lease on life. Lamotrigine makes me feel like I should have felt since I was younger!"

JD Watts (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2012

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine was horrible for me. Not only did it not help - it made my symptoms worse! The whole time I was on Lamictal, I was a raving lunatic and it brought my friends and family to their wit's end. I was dizzy all the time and never felt hungry. My hormones were all out of whack, causing my periods to be irregular and horrific. It also messed with my birth control and I wound up pregnant - a pregnancy that later failed due to further complications. I know this medicine works for some people but it's not a miracle for everyone. I was on it for about 4 or 5 months."

Liz89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It seems to have leveled my moods somewhat, or at least reduced my agitation. It is also inexpensive (compared to say, Lexapro). I soon developed problems with my eyes in that they are itchy, red and swollen and I have decided to discontinue due to my fear of getting Steven-Johnson syndrome. It is meant to be a rare side effect, but seems to be more common than I thought. This medication has also increased my appetite, given me strange dreams, and headaches."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I started the medicines and it worked okay. Then they started to up my dosage and I felt sluggish. Once I got to the amount I was supposed to be at, I was paranoid, distant and irritable. My period is 10 times worse. The cramps are unbearable. My face broke out and I look like the before picture of a proactive commercial. I have to pee frequently. I'm getting off these medicine as soon as possible. I've been taking them for 5 months now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder exactly one year ago. After about 4 weeks on Lamictal, I noticed a huge change. I could feel feelings again. The bubble of depression, rage and mania I lived in popped. I could communicate again, without getting frustrated with everyone. I am taking Lamictal with Wellbutrin and Abilify. No side-effects and my life - both professional and personal - has done a complete about-face. I am happy again. I remember how happy feels, and I'm there."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on it for years. My sons are also on it..if taken as the directions of your doctor its almost perfect. Our moods are stable and we almost feel normal."

dondih1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication made me sleepy when I first started it or have to bump up my dosage for a few days, but the side effect goes away. I take mine at night before bed for bipolar, this has drastically improved my quality of life. Moods, organization (helped, I'm also ADHD) anxiety, and sleeping pattern. I've been on it for almost a year now and won't ever go back. The only bad thing is when I forget to take it for more then two doses, I go manic and don't sleep. So remember to take it!!"

jadoreprana March 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal saved my life. Literally. Helped with suicidal thoughts and a feeling of going crazy beyond control. Later I added Cymbalta and Provigal as well. Able to have a more regular life now! Takes awhile to kick in since you have to build up the dose but stick it out- definitely worth the wait. (I've tried several others and Lamictal is by far the best)."

Anonymous March 9, 2012