User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 5 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 252 reviews 46 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 30 reviews 34 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 287 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "After being unstable for years this medication has changed my life. I have been stable for two years now and wouldn't change for anything in the world. It has changed my life"

monmmelt38 October 8, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Vivid dreams, nightmares, night terrors, sleep paralysis, frequent awakenings during sleep, thought blocking, memory lapses, word retrieval problems, concentration. Sleep disorders eventually fade but they were certainly debilitating. After 200 mg my mother reported I had strange behavior a few times that I don't remember. Besides these side-effects it has a very noticeable effect on depression. I would risk all those adverse reactions for this pill. Saved my life."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Have been taking it for 2 years. Stopped my seriously depressed moods 100%. My hyper moods as well, although did not have these as often. I was severely depressed and couldn't go to work, angry, and my mind was spinning all night. This was going on for years. I never realized it could have been a chemical imbalance until I "flipped" from giving up on life, to "everything is great! What was I thinking!" Then back to giving up again within 3 hours. Lamictal has made all of this stop. It's wonderful to be "normal" again."

Anonymous August 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I love this medication. Slowly my emotions are getting stable! The first few weeks are rough because it hadn't taken effect. Wait it out and hopefully it will help you too!"

sasha007 August 1, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It works great at first then you have to keep increasing the amount every two weeks. By about a week into each increase I feel like its not working and I feel mania coming on. I always know because I start biting my fingernail. I'm about two months into and really think I should find something stronger. Or combine it with something else. You are not supposed to drink alcohol but that is he only way I have found to even out it not being strong enough for me. I you are taking it, and it is working for you, that is great!"

Anonymous July 18, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on many mood stabilizers over the yrs for bi-polar 1. I have stuck with Lamictal because it hasn't caused distressing side effects that are difficult to live with, such as tremors and restlessness."

bmomma (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 2, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on this medication since 2006. I had no side effects or problems. It worked well, we had to keep increasing my dosage on it though. I also combined it with Depakote, which apparently raises your Lamictal levels. Yes you can become toxic on this medication like Depakote. I had to get off the medication because I became toxic, I was taking 300mg a day and 1250mg of Depakote daily. My symptoms were drunk look, double vision, slurred speech, short term memory loss, I started bumping into walls, my eyes were glazed over. I just got stupid towards the end. I even went to the hospital telling them I was toxic, they did not believe me. It can happen, I guess I became intolerant of the medication."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 28, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Well, I don't know what to say. If only I would have been taking lamotrigine when I was younger. I've been having moods swings and anger since I can remember, since the age of 11. I am 31 now and this is the only medicine that makes me feel the way I knew I should feel. I have no side effects. The worst thing of having bipolar 2 was dealing with my horrible anger problems and having people scared of me. I used to hold on to the fact that my son was the only reason I was alive but lamotrigine has given me a new lease on life. Lamotrigine makes me feel like I should have felt since I was younger!"

JD Watts (taken for less than 1 month) June 25, 2012

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine was horrible for me. Not only did it not help - it made my symptoms worse! The whole time I was on Lamictal, I was a raving lunatic and it brought my friends and family to their wit's end. I was dizzy all the time and never felt hungry. My hormones were all out of whack, causing my periods to be irregular and horrific. It also messed with my birth control and I wound up pregnant - a pregnancy that later failed due to further complications. I know this medicine works for some people but it's not a miracle for everyone. I was on it for about 4 or 5 months."

Liz89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 4, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It seems to have leveled my moods somewhat, or at least reduced my agitation. It is also inexpensive (compared to say, Lexapro). I soon developed problems with my eyes in that they are itchy, red and swollen and I have decided to discontinue due to my fear of getting Steven-Johnson syndrome. It is meant to be a rare side effect, but seems to be more common than I thought. This medication has also increased my appetite, given me strange dreams, and headaches."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) June 3, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I started the medicines and it worked okay. Then they started to up my dosage and I felt sluggish. Once I got to the amount I was supposed to be at, I was paranoid, distant and irritable. My period is 10 times worse. The cramps are unbearable. My face broke out and I look like the before picture of a proactive commercial. I have to pee frequently. I'm getting off these medicine as soon as possible. I've been taking them for 5 months now."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder exactly one year ago. After about 4 weeks on Lamictal, I noticed a huge change. I could feel feelings again. The bubble of depression, rage and mania I lived in popped. I could communicate again, without getting frustrated with everyone. I am taking Lamictal with Wellbutrin and Abilify. No side-effects and my life - both professional and personal - has done a complete about-face. I am happy again. I remember how happy feels, and I'm there."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on it for years. My sons are also on it..if taken as the directions of your doctor its almost perfect. Our moods are stable and we almost feel normal."

dondih1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 9, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication made me sleepy when I first started it or have to bump up my dosage for a few days, but the side effect goes away. I take mine at night before bed for bipolar, this has drastically improved my quality of life. Moods, organization (helped, I'm also ADHD) anxiety, and sleeping pattern. I've been on it for almost a year now and won't ever go back. The only bad thing is when I forget to take it for more then two doses, I go manic and don't sleep. So remember to take it!!"

jadoreprana March 19, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal saved my life. Literally. Helped with suicidal thoughts and a feeling of going crazy beyond control. Later I added Cymbalta and Provigal as well. Able to have a more regular life now! Takes awhile to kick in since you have to build up the dose but stick it out- definitely worth the wait. (I've tried several others and Lamictal is by far the best)."

Anonymous March 9, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Varying levels of depression since early 20's. Anxiety also an issue. 2 bouts of major depression: one in late 40's and one in mid 50's. No hospitalizations. Now 63 yo. Taking 200mg for 2yrs, - minimal side effects, and very effective in mood regulation. Never had a manic episode, but had been fairly quick to anger and somewhat argumentative. I would have to say this medicine has helped a lot. Some changes in my life circumstances may also be helping (retired) -- but I have to give this medication an endorsement. Worry a bit about taking it long-term -- but so far, no side effects."

Good Luck With It March 3, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I am 47 and I have suffered from depression as long as I can remember. I have been on so many medications for depression, I lost count. The best one for me has been Cipralex, but I would still experience major episodes several times a year. I was desperate this past January and ready to give up hope. Not give up as in harm myself but I just couldn't shake the blues for the entire month. I mentioned it to my doctor and she prescribed Lamotrigine (2x25mg) per day. I felt better immediately like the next day. Has anyone else experienced instant relief or is it just a fluke. I wonder if I was bipolar all along but wasn't able to articulate it for a proper diagnosis. I am one month depression free."

dbattcock March 2, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal is an interesting medication. It worked very well for controlling moodswings, particularly the rage filled depressive mixed episodes but caused absolutely massive memory and congition problems about 8 months into treatment at 200mg a day. It was odd, the world just kind slipped into the present. I couldn't even do things like cook toast because I would forget what I was doing. I have since cut the dose to 25mg a day. It works far less well for the moodswings but doesn't mess up my mind much now. All in all, mixed results. I still take it. It beats the alternatives which were awful."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal helps my mood swings but sometimes it makes me stutter or feel like crying. Other than that I am satisfied with the treatment for Bipolar 1 disorder."

Anonymous February 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal really worked great at stabilizing my moods and eliminating my manic episodes. I stopped blowing things out of proportion, being paranoid, and having rage attacks. I have been taking this with Wellbutrin everyday. The side effects were brutal to begin with the first few months and I had to go backwards on my dose and increase it slowly. I am always lightheaded and dizzy. The first few months I would lose my balance and have to grab something to prevent falling on a daily basis. Now I'm used to it and can recognize when I need to stop and let my body adjust before I move, but stabilizing my moods has been a life saver."

Anonymous February 24, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "For bipolar 1 Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I did have to watch my moods because with all mental health medicines it can make side effect better or worse and it did enduce me into a state of depression. Other than that I have been on it for 9 months and has been doing good so far."

cautiousgirl_87 February 7, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "It keeps me calm and relaxed most of the time."

shamika January 31, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "I love what Lamictal has done for me. It's a mood stabilizer that should be prescribed secondarily alongside with another medicine for bi-polar disorder. Mine is the anti-psychotic Geodon, which I slowly came off of over 6 months wanting to get pregnant, but unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital in a severe manic episode with following depression as usual even though I stayed on the Lamictal. I have taken Lamictal for 7 yrs and its wonderful to not have depressive episodes and mood swings. I take an awesome combination with the Geodon and I Highly recommend it to Bi-Polar 1 sufferers."

sugar812711 January 20, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication has been a life saver. It has changed my life around. I can't believe how happy I am!"

ttmillers January 12, 2012

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Makes me a speed freak, can't sit still constantly moving my hands or my face or something, like a panic attack without anxiety! It seems to have helped with anxiety though, but I still take Xanax for when I just literally cannot stop moving around, grinding my teeth or jerking my neck around. I have severe muscle spasms in the neck. I think it has helped me in some ways but not others, it made my already severe insomnia worse, so now I have sleeping pills (which still don't work sometimes). It has sort of improved my mood some people say I'm less erratic. I am not sure though. I'm giving it a 5 because the neck pain is bad, and the increased paranoia is bad and I don't really think it has helped with disassociation too much. "

Anonymous January 11, 2012