User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 28 medications

7.8
Summary of Lamictal reviews 244 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by qwerty_lv:

For Bipolar Disorder: Gave me really bad headaches, nausea and all over body rash.

August 12, 2011 7:34 AM

Review by otfc42:

For Bipolar Disorder: Thought I was going okay. Feeling the best I had in awhile. But, what it has done now is destroy my self confidence. I have no word retrieval, memory black spots. I value my intelligence, it sometimes feels like all I have left.

August 10, 2011 4:40 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal has changed my life. I started on Lamictal 2 1/2 months ago and I can't believe the clarity and happiness in my day to day life. For years, I have been on various antidepressants. I had never been to a specialist, only my primary care physician to discuss the problem. I got to a point when I couldn't remember when I was happy and felt normal. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but no mention of Bi Polar. My severe mood swings were affecting everything in my life. My relationship with my husband, kids, my lack of motivation. I felt like there was a constant cloud over my head, when I had nothing to be depressed about. The Psychiatrist I went to diagnosed me with Bipolar and started the Lamical.

August 8, 2011 8:30 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Keeps my mood even 24/7...also I have noticed no side effects either. Been on this medication for 9 years 300mgs daily.

July 31, 2011 2:22 PM

Review by cscan558:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal combined with Seroquel XR has changed the quality of my life. My obsessive compulsive disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder were masked for many years by the severe depression. Eventually a different doctor realized it was not enough. The Lamictal was added and helped to calm my OCD but when the Seroquel was added it was awesome; I felt normal. If the Lamictal is helping but you still don't feel right, your doctor may increase the dose. Talk to him/her often and don't minimize a symptom because you think it is too small to mention. Some symptoms overlap and may be masking an untreated problem. Summary: Lamictal works. No side effects. I'm grateful for it every day.

July 31, 2011 12:32 AM

Review by jag020372:

For Bipolar Disorder: Wonderful medicine, changed my life for the better. I am a completely different person behaviorally, but still the same personality! I do not get depressed or anxious like I used to for 20 years, while on SSRI antidepressants. This medicine is a miracle.

July 19, 2011 8:55 PM

Review by Dru2011:

For Bipolar Disorder: I suffer from bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. I have been on Lamictal for about three weeks and I am taking 150 gm a day and I already feel better than I have felt in years and this is just the beginning. I am having no side effects and I am feeling so much better I can't wait until it becomes full circle and I feel the full effects of Lamictal. Love it, there is hope. Don't give up I am also taking Paxil 20mg.

July 18, 2011 12:59 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I am also another person saved by this drug. I was irrational, iratic and unstable before I found Lamictal. There is so much more peace in my life and peace in the lives of the people that my disorder effected.

July 13, 2011 11:27 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Topamax for three-four years, it makes me so sleepy, so then I switched to Lamictal. Lamictal makes me hungry but I feel better and have energy. I am going to take both and hopefully, it will work great together.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 6:55 PM

Review by my story:

For Bipolar Disorder: Simply my miracle medicine. I actually became "myself" again. After 15 years of trying EVERY antidepressant available (I've become an expert on antidepressants). Lamictal was my doctor's last resort. After about 2 weeks, a woke up on morning, turned to my husband and said "I'm back". Have been on it about 8 years now and I'm truly "me" not bipolar or depressed. I take it in combination with Wellbutrin...perfect combination for me.

June 24, 2011 5:50 PM

Review by Dru2011:

For Bipolar Disorder: I went back to the doctor today and she did prescribe Lamictal 25MG 1 tablet once a day for 2 days, then 1 tablet daily for 2 days, then 1 tablet in the morning and 2 at bedtime for 2 days then 2 tablets 2 times a day. I was also prescribed burspirone 15mg 3 time a day, Paxil 20 MG once a day and Trazodone 50 MG. Lamictal had worked for me in the past. I hope these other medicines works well with it. Has anybody else this combination as well I would like to here from you.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2011 2:16 PM

Review by Chappell90:

For Bipolar Disorder: Excellent medication for bipolar disorder although I had a reaction to it.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2011 10:19 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has changed the quality of my life, and those who are in my life. It has been greatly enhanced by my usage of this medicine. I wish everyone who suffered mentally could use this medicine as a magic pill, but I know that's not possible. I was on so many different medicines before my doctor put me on this - misdiagnosis on his part - and I'm so glad that this medicine exists for us bi-polar folks.

June 12, 2011 1:19 PM

Review by Mandarinmocha:

For Bipolar Disorder: Before I started taking this medicine, my moods were up and down, anger, anxiety, not sleeping at night, back pain, fear of leaving the house, etc. This medicine has changed my life completely. I don't feel like the same person. I never enjoyed living the way that I do now. I'm up early in the mornings, doing things and being productive, which is so different from what I used to. Thanks to this medicine, I'm actually living. I've tried so many things and nothing else works. Miracle by far. No anxiety, no sleep problems, energy, and relationships are improving so well.

June 10, 2011 7:58 PM

Review by Just here for the ride:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lamictal for 7 years for severe depression - love it. I do better, it helps control the suicidality and anger and helped me keep a job when I am well enough to work. Word of caution: DO NOT TAKE ESTROGEN CONTAINING BIRTH CONTROL WITH THIS MEDICINE. It lowers the amount of Lamictal in your blood by half, so you go through withdrawals, then on the fourth week of the month you are toxic. So take the medicine if it helps, but beware of mixing it with birth control pills.

May 29, 2011 2:09 PM

Review by amongtheliving:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has been amazingly helpful. After being misdiagnosed with depression I began taking this once my bipolar symptoms were diagnosed correctly. For those of you who may not think the drug works, I wonder if your doctor is doing a blood test to determine if your dosage meets the therapeutic level. Also, I learned the hard way that birth control pills totally negate the effect of Lamictal. It took a while to straighten that one out. Thanks to all for writing in.

May 27, 2011 6:15 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I use this medicine for depression and it is really effective.

May 20, 2011 9:03 PM

Review by volynn:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Lamictal for 4 months at 100mg to treat bipolar disorder type I. My mood swings decreased only slightly. I discontinued medication due to the fact that it made me very itchy.

May 14, 2011 7:49 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I haven't been on Lamictal for very long yet. But I want to thank all the people who shared how it has helped them. I am having a very hard time hanging on right now. I am getting married to the love of my life in 2 1/2 months and could care less. I am actually thinking about canceling the wedding altogehter. Depression is impacting my work and my relationships with my family. I don't see much point in hanging on at all. Reading about how others have benefitted gives me a ray of hope that it will help me too at some point in the future if I can just hold on long enough. Thanks.

May 4, 2011 12:18 PM

Review by jmac83:

For Bipolar Disorder: Miracle. I have been on 6 different medications over a 10 year period since I was 17 and nothing seemed to be working. My family doctor was no longer capable of helping me and I was referred to a psychiatrist. He immediately recognized my symptoms, put me on Lamictal, and I feel like a new man. The suicidal thoughts, the racing, the lack of sleep...all of it reduced down to almost nothing. I still have anxiety at times, but I take a Xanax every now and then to just help me calm down. But overall, my quality of life has improved by 99%. I do, much to my embarrassment, seem to have erectile dysfunction. It is not that I have a problem getting an erection, but it seems to be a self confidence issue.

April 12, 2011 8:33 AM

Review by liquidcrystalcompass:

For Bipolar Disorder: Worked great when added to lithium for mixed manic episode. No side effects but I got a rash and had to quit taking it. The rash gradually disappeared, luckily.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2011 12:28 AM

Review by sharkyleroux:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have recently been diagnosed with bipolar disorder, and have found Lamictal (lamotrigine) to not only balance my mood, but to elevate me back to feeling human. This is profound and very refreshing. Having experienced mild to very severe depression all of my life, I have also had an acute and moderately severe manic episodes. Over the past two months I have worked my Lamictal dose very slowly up to 200mgs of Lamictal coupled with 25 to 100mg of Seroquel (primarily for insomnia and secondarily for mood). Side effects have included memory loss, word recall problems, and distinct weight gain (even though I exercise often and rigorously). Overall I would say this is a wonderful medicine.

March 12, 2011 5:00 AM

Review by redhotgma:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am a young 60 year old female. No one believes me that I am really 60! I was just diagnosed with Bipolar 2. I have been depressed for years and the antidepressants just stopped working. I over the last 8 months had become very angry, irritable, happy at times, and severely depressed to the point of wanting to die every day. My doctor finally sent me to a mental health professional and she diagnosed me bipolar. I started taking Lamictal and the first week I noticed I was feeling more even and not depressed. A month later now I feel as if I was handed my life back. I did have nausea with it, but that went away. Now I feel at peace inside! I have no depression and am finally HAPPY. Thank you Lamictal.

February 1, 2011 2:43 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been diagnosed with Bipolar 1 Severe Mania episodes for many years and PTSD. I am on Lamictal, 200mg, Topamax 100mg, and Abilify 30mg. This is a wonderful combination and the first time in my life that a combination works with little to no side effects. I have a significant immediate family history of suicide and although the thoughts are always there I don't act on them and can ignore them with the help of this medication combo and my severe manic episodes are from 8 to 9 severe episodes a year down to 3 to 4 which for me is almost "normal". With a little more tweaking of this combination I may be able to get it down a little lower than that, we are working on it. I've been on this combination and changing the dosing for about 2 years now.

December 30, 2010 4:08 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: This is a great medicine. Many people don't know about using it as an alternative to SSRIs for mood stabilization, depression and bipolar disorder. I've been on it for 1 year. The biggest benefits of this medicine is that it stabilizes my mood without feeling weird (fake, plastic, hyper) with very few side effects. The sexual side effects and weight gain I experienced on Prozac, and the restlessness and irritability of Celexa and Welbutrin, just don't occur for me on this medicine. The drawback for me has been a narrowing of my emotional bandwidth. I rarely feel spontaneous excitement or joy. This may be partly because of life circumstances, but I'm certain that this medicine is also playing a role here. High anxiety, may not be related to this medicine.

December 11, 2010 2:49 AM