User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 29 medications

7.9
Summary of Lamictal reviews 252 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by danforeman:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am taking this medicine to treat Bipolar Disorder Type 1 and I have never had a side effect. I have been taking it for about 5 years in conjunction with Gabapentin. About six years ago I started having dual episodes, which were new to me as I had only experienced mania or depression. After a few stays in the hospital and being introduced to Lamictal, I have not had a dual episode, or any episode at all. Lamictal has also stopped 96% of the paranoia feeling that has never gone away.

October 5, 2011 2:27 AM

Review by qwerty123312:

For Bipolar Disorder: Caused anxiety, panic attacks and rash.

October 4, 2011 11:16 AM

Review by Killer Whales:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine did its job. Took about a week for me to feel the actual effects. But I had to discontinue use because I developed a really bad rash around my mouth. I had to stop because the rash and other side effects. I wish those side effects never happened or else it would have been something that I would have wanted to be apart of my medication regimen. I also have Schizoaffective Disorder, it really helped me manage those unusual thoughts and behavior. Otherwise this would have been my medication of choice.

September 29, 2011 9:24 PM

Review by Cpatain Severm:

For Bipolar Disorder: It works better than other medicines but I still have some days that it looks like I'm without treatment and I repeat some behaviors of the past when I was first told I was (am!) a bipolar. But I love Lamictal. I took as far as 500 mg, but that was not much better than 200 mg per day.

September 2, 2011 4:59 PM

Review by jennpugli:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal is very helpful in controlling my mood swings. What I like is that you can start on a low dose and work your way up until you find the dose that works for you.

August 31, 2011 2:53 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Seemed to help my rapid cycling at first but the cycling would start again after a short time and the dose would be raised. Each time the "good" period got shorter. I also found that my suicidal thoughts/visions increased while taking this medicine. Side effects are bad - all over itching, headache, thinning hair, etc.

August 23, 2011 7:58 PM

Review by mbrinkley:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamotrigine has been very effective for my Bipolar. Coming off Lamotrigine is very hard but I found the supplement 'milk thistle' very helpful and only managed to come off it completely with its help. I am back on the lamotrigine now as I my moods became extreme again without it.

August 22, 2011 7:26 PM

For Seizure Prevention: I'd been having partial seizures every 2 weeks lasting a few days for about 3yrs before having a tonic-clonic seizure and finally agreeing to go on medication. I started on Keppra and the seizures came once a month for about a week, similar to a girl's period, and I became suicidal and uninterested in anything. About 2 yrs later I had another tonic-clonic seizure. Shortly after that I switched to Lamictal and am no longer suicidal but am still depressed and uninterested in anything and the seizure now come more frequently and randomly.

August 15, 2011 6:43 PM

Review by qwerty_lv:

For Bipolar Disorder: Gave me really bad headaches, nausea and all over body rash.

August 12, 2011 7:34 AM

Review by otfc42:

For Bipolar Disorder: Thought I was going okay. Feeling the best I had in awhile. But, what it has done now is destroy my self confidence. I have no word retrieval, memory black spots. I value my intelligence, it sometimes feels like all I have left.

August 10, 2011 4:40 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal has changed my life. I started on Lamictal 2 1/2 months ago and I can't believe the clarity and happiness in my day to day life. For years, I have been on various antidepressants. I had never been to a specialist, only my primary care physician to discuss the problem. I got to a point when I couldn't remember when I was happy and felt normal. I was diagnosed with depression and anxiety, but no mention of Bi Polar. My severe mood swings were affecting everything in my life. My relationship with my husband, kids, my lack of motivation. I felt like there was a constant cloud over my head, when I had nothing to be depressed about. The Psychiatrist I went to diagnosed me with Bipolar and started the Lamical.

August 8, 2011 8:30 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Keeps my mood even 24/7...also I have noticed no side effects either. Been on this medication for 9 years 300mgs daily.

July 31, 2011 2:22 PM

Review by cscan558:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal combined with Seroquel XR has changed the quality of my life. My obsessive compulsive disorder and Social Anxiety Disorder were masked for many years by the severe depression. Eventually a different doctor realized it was not enough. The Lamictal was added and helped to calm my OCD but when the Seroquel was added it was awesome; I felt normal. If the Lamictal is helping but you still don't feel right, your doctor may increase the dose. Talk to him/her often and don't minimize a symptom because you think it is too small to mention. Some symptoms overlap and may be masking an untreated problem. Summary: Lamictal works. No side effects. I'm grateful for it every day.

July 31, 2011 12:32 AM

Review by jag020372:

For Bipolar Disorder: Wonderful medicine, changed my life for the better. I am a completely different person behaviorally, but still the same personality! I do not get depressed or anxious like I used to for 20 years, while on SSRI antidepressants. This medicine is a miracle.

July 19, 2011 8:55 PM

Review by Dru2011:

For Bipolar Disorder: I suffer from bipolar disorder, anxiety, depression, mood swings, etc. I have been on Lamictal for about three weeks and I am taking 150 gm a day and I already feel better than I have felt in years and this is just the beginning. I am having no side effects and I am feeling so much better I can't wait until it becomes full circle and I feel the full effects of Lamictal. Love it, there is hope. Don't give up I am also taking Paxil 20mg.

July 18, 2011 12:59 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I am also another person saved by this drug. I was irrational, iratic and unstable before I found Lamictal. There is so much more peace in my life and peace in the lives of the people that my disorder effected.

July 13, 2011 11:27 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Topamax for three-four years, it makes me so sleepy, so then I switched to Lamictal. Lamictal makes me hungry but I feel better and have energy. I am going to take both and hopefully, it will work great together.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 6:55 PM

Review by my story:

For Bipolar Disorder: Simply my miracle medicine. I actually became "myself" again. After 15 years of trying EVERY antidepressant available (I've become an expert on antidepressants). Lamictal was my doctor's last resort. After about 2 weeks, a woke up on morning, turned to my husband and said "I'm back". Have been on it about 8 years now and I'm truly "me" not bipolar or depressed. I take it in combination with Wellbutrin...perfect combination for me.

June 24, 2011 5:50 PM

Review by Dru2011:

For Bipolar Disorder: I went back to the doctor today and she did prescribe Lamictal 25MG 1 tablet once a day for 2 days, then 1 tablet daily for 2 days, then 1 tablet in the morning and 2 at bedtime for 2 days then 2 tablets 2 times a day. I was also prescribed burspirone 15mg 3 time a day, Paxil 20 MG once a day and Trazodone 50 MG. Lamictal had worked for me in the past. I hope these other medicines works well with it. Has anybody else this combination as well I would like to here from you.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 24, 2011 2:16 PM

Review by Chappell90:

For Bipolar Disorder: Excellent medication for bipolar disorder although I had a reaction to it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 16, 2011 10:19 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has changed the quality of my life, and those who are in my life. It has been greatly enhanced by my usage of this medicine. I wish everyone who suffered mentally could use this medicine as a magic pill, but I know that's not possible. I was on so many different medicines before my doctor put me on this - misdiagnosis on his part - and I'm so glad that this medicine exists for us bi-polar folks.

June 12, 2011 1:19 PM

Review by Mandarinmocha:

For Bipolar Disorder: Before I started taking this medicine, my moods were up and down, anger, anxiety, not sleeping at night, back pain, fear of leaving the house, etc. This medicine has changed my life completely. I don't feel like the same person. I never enjoyed living the way that I do now. I'm up early in the mornings, doing things and being productive, which is so different from what I used to. Thanks to this medicine, I'm actually living. I've tried so many things and nothing else works. Miracle by far. No anxiety, no sleep problems, energy, and relationships are improving so well.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2011 7:58 PM

Review by Just here for the ride:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lamictal for 7 years for severe depression - love it. I do better, it helps control the suicidality and anger and helped me keep a job when I am well enough to work. Word of caution: DO NOT TAKE ESTROGEN CONTAINING BIRTH CONTROL WITH THIS MEDICINE. It lowers the amount of Lamictal in your blood by half, so you go through withdrawals, then on the fourth week of the month you are toxic. So take the medicine if it helps, but beware of mixing it with birth control pills.

May 29, 2011 2:09 PM

Review by amongtheliving:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has been amazingly helpful. After being misdiagnosed with depression I began taking this once my bipolar symptoms were diagnosed correctly. For those of you who may not think the drug works, I wonder if your doctor is doing a blood test to determine if your dosage meets the therapeutic level. Also, I learned the hard way that birth control pills totally negate the effect of Lamictal. It took a while to straighten that one out. Thanks to all for writing in.

May 27, 2011 6:15 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I use this medicine for depression and it is really effective.

May 20, 2011 9:03 PM