User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 29 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 274 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by jadoreprana:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication made me sleepy when I first started it or have to bump up my dosage for a few days, but the side effect goes away. I take mine at night before bed for bipolar, this has drastically improved my quality of life. Moods, organization (helped, I'm also ADHD) anxiety, and sleeping pattern. I've been on it for almost a year now and won't ever go back. The only bad thing is when I forget to take it for more then two doses, I go manic and don't sleep. So remember to take it!!

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2012 6:40 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal saved my life. Literally. Helped with suicidal thoughts and a feeling of going crazy beyond control. Later I added Cymbalta and Provigal as well. Able to have a more regular life now! Takes awhile to kick in since you have to build up the dose but stick it out- definitely worth the wait. (I've tried several others and Lamictal is by far the best).

March 9, 2012 7:16 PM

Review by Good Luck With It:

For Bipolar Disorder: Varying levels of depression since early 20's. Anxiety also an issue. 2 bouts of major depression: one in late 40's and one in mid 50's. No hospitalizations. Now 63 yo. Taking 200mg for 2yrs, - minimal side effects, and very effective in mood regulation. Never had a manic episode, but had been fairly quick to anger and somewhat argumentative. I would have to say this medicine has helped a lot. Some changes in my life circumstances may also be helping (retired) -- but I have to give this medication an endorsement. Worry a bit about taking it long-term -- but so far, no side effects.

March 3, 2012 4:07 PM

Review by dbattcock:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 47 and I have suffered from depression as long as I can remember. I have been on so many medications for depression, I lost count. The best one for me has been Cipralex, but I would still experience major episodes several times a year. I was desperate this past January and ready to give up hope. Not give up as in harm myself but I just couldn't shake the blues for the entire month. I mentioned it to my doctor and she prescribed Lamotrigine (2x25mg) per day. I felt better immediately like the next day. Has anyone else experienced instant relief or is it just a fluke. I wonder if I was bipolar all along but wasn't able to articulate it for a proper diagnosis. I am one month depression free.

March 2, 2012 9:12 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal is an interesting medication. It worked very well for controlling moodswings, particularly the rage filled depressive mixed episodes but caused absolutely massive memory and congition problems about 8 months into treatment at 200mg a day. It was odd, the world just kind slipped into the present. I couldn't even do things like cook toast because I would forget what I was doing. I have since cut the dose to 25mg a day. It works far less well for the moodswings but doesn't mess up my mind much now. All in all, mixed results. I still take it. It beats the alternatives which were awful.

March 1, 2012 5:19 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal helps my mood swings but sometimes it makes me stutter or feel like crying. Other than that I am satisfied with the treatment for Bipolar 1 disorder.

February 26, 2012 5:11 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal really worked great at stabilizing my moods and eliminating my manic episodes. I stopped blowing things out of proportion, being paranoid, and having rage attacks. I have been taking this with Wellbutrin everyday. The side effects were brutal to begin with the first few months and I had to go backwards on my dose and increase it slowly. I am always lightheaded and dizzy. The first few months I would lose my balance and have to grab something to prevent falling on a daily basis. Now I'm used to it and can recognize when I need to stop and let my body adjust before I move, but stabilizing my moods has been a life saver.

February 24, 2012 4:37 PM

Review by cautiousgirl_87:

For Bipolar Disorder: For bipolar 1 Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I did have to watch my moods because with all mental health medicines it can make side effect better or worse and it did enduce me into a state of depression. Other than that I have been on it for 9 months and has been doing good so far.

February 7, 2012 3:11 PM

Review by shamika:

For Bipolar Disorder: It keeps me calm and relaxed most of the time.

January 31, 2012 3:12 PM

Review by sugar812711:

For Bipolar Disorder: I love what Lamictal has done for me. It's a mood stabilizer that should be prescribed secondarily alongside with another medicine for bi-polar disorder. Mine is the anti-psychotic Geodon, which I slowly came off of over 6 months wanting to get pregnant, but unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital in a severe manic episode with following depression as usual even though I stayed on the Lamictal. I have taken Lamictal for 7 yrs and its wonderful to not have depressive episodes and mood swings. I take an awesome combination with the Geodon and I Highly recommend it to Bi-Polar 1 sufferers.

January 20, 2012 2:32 PM

Review by ttmillers:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication has been a life saver. It has changed my life around. I can't believe how happy I am!

January 12, 2012 6:50 PM

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Makes me a speed freak, can't sit still constantly moving my hands or my face or something, like a panic attack without anxiety! It seems to have helped with anxiety though, but I still take Xanax for when I just literally cannot stop moving around, grinding my teeth or jerking my neck around. I have severe muscle spasms in the neck. I think it has helped me in some ways but not others, it made my already severe insomnia worse, so now I have sleeping pills (which still don't work sometimes). It has sort of improved my mood some people say I'm less erratic. I am not sure though. I'm giving it a 5 because the neck pain is bad, and the increased paranoia is bad and I don't really think it has helped with disassociation too much.

January 11, 2012 2:28 PM

Review by JTK:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was told that Lamictal might help me "find strength". Well, it did - a strength that was inside me all the time but was drowned out by fear. I have been on this pill for 10 months now and the horrible fear scenarios that have plagued me since an early age have all stopped. I am far more in charge of my life now. I only wish I could have had it before. First effects of pill were immediate, but it took some months to take full root.

December 31, 2011 8:09 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: Have been taking Lamictal for 4 years (400mg). I had severe mania for 3 years before that. Went through 13 different medicines. They all seemed to make things worse and became very destructive with not only my life but I also became dangerous to others. If it were not for Lamictal I would most surely be dead. I sometimes still go through the depression and have added antidepressants but too many side effects. I have insomnia so I also take Ambien CR and Xanax. It's not a healthy combination but it all works for the most part. I'm sad for those of you that had to stop taking Lamictal for some reason or another. It's a great thing not to be sick anymore.

December 30, 2011 1:58 AM

Review by SassyBrunette28:

For Bipolar Disorder: I felt a change in my moods from Lamictal almost immediately. I haven't felt that great in years, but I developed a rash in 1-2 weeks of taking it. It started as itchy hands and feet and then I itched everywhere. I did not have a severe or life threatening Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I did drink alcohol on this medicine and it made me get drunk really fast and I would have very bad hangovers. I had to discontinue after 1 1/2 months because of the rash. Two of my friends take this and never had rashes and they also agree it is the best medicine they have taken for bipolar.

December 28, 2011 6:07 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been diagnosed with Bipolar. Initially, I really did not believe that I had this disorder. However, I feel so much better after 1 month on this medicine. I feel normal for the first time in 4 years. I am happy and energetic. I also notice a significant improvement in my memory and concentration. Since the medication has made a significant improvement in my quality of life, I am no longer in denial.

December 20, 2011 9:59 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on it for three months, with a very slow ramp up phase. I've been dealing with major depression for 25 years and have been in all kinds of antidepressants, which work for a while, then stop. My doctor started to wonder if I might possibly be bipolar 2. My moods would cycle frequently within days. Deep despair to feeling just fine. Not mania. Just feeling good. Once I was on the therapeutic level, 200mg I felt so even keel. And I've been holding steady for almost two months!

December 20, 2011 12:35 AM

Review by Shred:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal has been effective for me. I had not realized some of my symptoms until I was unable to afford it and went off it for couple months. I had more depression, began to emotionally over eat, increased difficulty in making decisions and paying attention, and feeling of being overwhelmed. I am fortunate enough to have the means to get back on my medicines. I function without it, but this makes my disabilities more manageable.

December 1, 2011 10:35 PM

Review by dnb367:

For Bipolar Disorder: Broke out in a rash after 2 weeks.

November 15, 2011 3:13 PM

Review by cristy_jeff:

I had been on clonazepam 1mg twice a day, my new doctor doesn't like this medication and decided to switch me to 100mg Lamotrigine. I still have anxiety and horrible night sweats. I mean I SOAK the bed every night (not hormones, they checked my level a week ago because I had to have my uterus and cervix removed 3 years ago, but still have my ovaries). This is the only change in medication and the sweats are unbearable for myself and my husband. Going back to demand my old medicines back. I am glad this works for most. I don't see this listed as a side effect for anyone else, so I am confused.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2011 9:47 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I started taking this about five years ago for anxiety/OCD/extreme irritability (bipolar spectrum) and it is a great mood stabilizer. However, it seems all great remedies have their side effects. For me (40-something female) that meant some hair loss and memory issues. Also, I've noticed that if I miss even one dose (I take 150 mg twice a day) I start to get really agitated and irritable, so I'm afraid that it's permanently altered my biochemistry - guess I'm stuck with it. I still think I'm better off than the fat zombie most women become on antidepressants.

November 4, 2011 9:23 PM

Review by Pandora2:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal has been a life saver for me. I gained 20 lbs on Abilify. I experienced horrible side effects from Geodon--I thought my legs would run away from me. I cried all day on Wellbutrin. Nothing seemed to work. After slowly increasing the dosage on Lamictal, I started feeling better. I got out of bed. After about 2 months, I'm back to normal, no tears, sleeping only 8 or 9 hours instead of 12, going to yoga 5 times a week instead of watching Law and Order SVU reruns. I'm back to "normal" whatever that means. I am also on Topamax and Pristiq. Great cocktail for me.

October 26, 2011 8:42 PM

Review by danforeman:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am taking this medicine to treat Bipolar Disorder Type 1 and I have never had a side effect. I have been taking it for about 5 years in conjunction with Gabapentin. About six years ago I started having dual episodes, which were new to me as I had only experienced mania or depression. After a few stays in the hospital and being introduced to Lamictal, I have not had a dual episode, or any episode at all. Lamictal has also stopped 96% of the paranoia feeling that has never gone away.

October 5, 2011 2:27 AM

Review by qwerty123312:

For Bipolar Disorder: Caused anxiety, panic attacks and rash.

October 4, 2011 11:16 AM

Review by Killer Whales:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine did its job. Took about a week for me to feel the actual effects. But I had to discontinue use because I developed a really bad rash around my mouth. I had to stop because the rash and other side effects. I wish those side effects never happened or else it would have been something that I would have wanted to be apart of my medication regimen. I also have Schizoaffective Disorder, it really helped me manage those unusual thoughts and behavior. Otherwise this would have been my medication of choice.

September 29, 2011 9:24 PM