User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2014 3:33 PM
Review by Beautiful_Jewelia: User Rating:

I was on so many medicines, hoping from doctor to doctor until I found a neuropsychiatrist who took me off all that gunk and had me try Lamictal. While I am not cured, I most certainly am far more functional with my highs and lows being far less extreme. I also take Prozac to make sure that Lamictal alone won't make me hypomanic. I become that way if on Lamictal alone. I have been on these two medicines for many years. This is the first time ever anything has worked, worked reasonably well and this long!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 5, 2014 12:56 AM
Review by tenover: User Rating:

Great medicine for cyclothymia/rapid cycling ever and I mean ever-been on 175mg per day 1x for 5 years-literally saved my life. Also if you're prescribed this absolutely have your pharmacist fill with brand only.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 26, 2014 8:43 PM
Review by Zenimia10 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

I was put on Lamictal about 8 months ago. This medicine will not let my thoughts spiral down even if I wanted them too.

March 14, 2014 7:27 AM
Review by Ann1975 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

I have been taking Lamictal/lamotrigine for over 10 years now to help treat my bipolar 2. I think the fact that 10+ years later and after trying other meds during my hard times I always come back to this one. Life does have ways of kicking me and those times are when other meds have been added or tried, but I always end up on Lamictal regardless.

March 13, 2014 12:50 AM
Review by soulshine95: User Rating:

I have since I was very young displayed what I know now as Type I Bipolor disorder. Probably one of the worst feeling in the world is to have emotions ebb in and out like tall crashing waves. Then the sun comes out and the water is calm. Then a couple days later here comes the storm. It is the worst feeling to think there is nothing that will help. I felt that way.....time after time different meds. Abilify to be one exact example led me to have Hypothyroidism. A condition I have to have meds for the rest of my life. I have after trying many different meds for depression to find only one medicine I would suggest and that is Lamictal. If you are compatible with this medication it will help the mood swings a great deal.

March 8, 2014 1:11 AM
Review by Mom off the roller coaster: User Rating:

This is the first medicine that has helped my 14 year old daughter. She has tried Prozac, zoloft, vyvanse, pristiq and some help from Wellbutrin. She has not been accurately diagnosed. Many different professionals have suggested dysthymia, anxiety, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, MDD and bipolar II. She has been hospitalized 3 times. The last time she got out of the hospital, I asked if we could try a mood stabilizer. Lamictal was the doctors first choice. We slowly titrated up to 200 (it took 3 months), but it was well worth the wait. No side affects. No more roller coaster rides. Most importantly, my daughter has an understanding of what can trigger her moods and has the clarity to learn more about herself.

February 17, 2014 9:26 PM
Review by Luetta: User Rating:

I have Bipolar 2. I was diagnosed in 2009 but had suspicions long beforehand. So was put on Prozac, Abilify. While I notice Prozac helping, especially when I don't have any and I begin having withdrawal, I've found that Lamictal really does the job! It's very subtle, maybe because I'm on a very low dosage. Yet, I notice it. I'm more calmer. Not calm completely, just calMER.

January 23, 2014 11:38 AM
Review by Heather.80: User Rating:

I have been taking 300mg of Lamotrigine each day for about 3 years. When I first took it, it made me feel sick and anxious and gave me headaches, but after following some simple advice from my psychiatrist I now DONT GET ANY SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL!! He told me to increase the dose slowly (25mg per week) and to always eat when I take the tablets. I've found this medication very effective as an antidepressant but not effective at controlling mania / hypomania. Despite this, I still rate it very highly because it is so much more bearable than any other psychiatric medication that I've taken in the past.

January 13, 2014 9:51 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Saved my life after trying various antidepressants with no results. Felt dizzy and nauseaus the first weeks, but noticed improvements in mood within days.

January 5, 2014 4:24 PM
Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

This is the best psych med option I've ever had. Over a six-year period, I had been prescribed a myriad of medicines for bipolar mania and depression, including: Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa, Celexa, Prozac, Lithium, Geodon, and Tegretol. Lamictal has been a Godsend. Lamictal has not been associated with weight gain nor diabetes (I have type 2, but was diagnosed prior to my prescription). All psych medicines have side effects, and finding the most benign one can be maddening, and even life-threatening, in my case. Give this one, at least a shot.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 12, 2013 7:18 AM
Review by leeenaa: User Rating:

It seems to be helping, but still some depression remains. I have Bipolar Type 1, so I have struggled with mania, hypomania, mixed mood, and depression. I do notice I'm more "even," which is what the medicine intends to do. I take a combination of meds, so it could be difficult to tell which medicine is doing what. All I know is that I have no side effects, which is good, because I requested a mood stabilizer that will not make me gain weight. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way things are going (thank goodness, because Bipolar could be hell).

December 3, 2013 10:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal has been working pretty good so far. My only complaint is lately depression is creeping up on me, but this could be just part of the "winter blues." On Lamictal, I am not emotionless; it just helps with the dramatic mood swings (I have Bipolar type 1). I was given Lamictal as an option due to the fact that I requested a medicine that will not make me gain weight. As I was told, I do notice Lamictal seems to be weight-neutral, which is a good thing. I haven't been on Lamictal more than a few months yet, but I am hoping it continues doing its job.

December 1, 2013 9:47 PM
Review by Maymay 77 Sue: User Rating:

I started Lamictal about a year ago. Nothing else worked, the medicines made me tired and sometimes worse. My family noticed a huge change in my moods and I don't nearly get angry at all. This medication is awesome! I take 400mg a day now, but I was pretty bad! I thought I was better once and stopped taking it and oh boy my family was like get back on your meds! I will never stop taking this medication again! My son has bipolar as well, I am going to ask doctor to try him on it as well! Only side effect is dry mouth.

November 21, 2013 3:09 PM
Review by diver girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

My experience has been terrible. I am 42 and an educated woman who works in a high capacity job and I can't function. I have been to the emergency room twice for disorientation and garbled writing/texts. I have had several falls or balance issues, one fall caused a concussion, now I walk with a cane on occasions. I constantly forget things, events, appointments and more. I finally had to go out on medical leave. I am in the process of discontinuing all psych meds as they are ruining my life!!!

November 12, 2013 11:17 AM
Review by Pops2: User Rating:

I have taken lamotrigine for about 5 weeks. I tapered from nefazodone to lamotrigine over the course of 3 weeks. I am currently at 100 mg of lamotrigine. I was feeling better than I have ever felt in my entire life for about 2 weeks, now I am back to where I was before. No, I was not feeling manic during those 2 weeks but I felt that my anxiety had been greatly reduced and I had a true appreciation for life. I feel a bit cheated that I got to feel normal for once in my life and then poof it is gone. I kind of knew that it was too good to be true or to last. Oh well

November 12, 2013 10:31 AM
Review by diver girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

November 12, 2013 6:06 AM
Review by TONYA438 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

I have tried and failed every medication out there!! I just could not tolerate the side effects and weight gain. I came very close to suicide and I finally got on lamictal. What a difference!! I am finally not having the mania keeping me up for days and the severe depression of constantly writing suicide letters. I am also on klonopin. I had to go off my meds during my pregnancy and my husband said " I will never get you pregnant again!!!" That is how much better I am on the medication. My dose is 300 mg. split twice daily. I had gastric bypass as well and I am tolerating it the same as I was before. I have been on Lamictal for 8 years.I wanted to share my experience so that I might touch someones' life and make a difference!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 10, 2013 6:50 AM
Review by n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

This is a very good medication IMO. When you titrate up to the dose intended, you will notice subtle differences. Many times I have thought that this had flattened me out but when I backed off the dose, symptoms came roaring back. No noticeable side effects for me. Helps stability very well, maybe the cause of some anxiety not much tho.

October 28, 2013 12:45 PM
Review by Shannon Leigh (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

I was diagnosed bipolar after suffering a mental breakdown in college which left me institutionalized used for 2 weeks. Before my therapist prescribed me lamictal (100mg) and Klonopin (.05mg) I was a total mess. lamictal truly saved my life. It helps me act less irrationally and impulsively, hold a job for longer than 6mons, maintain healthy relationships with loved ones, I feel more focused and driven. I have had no negative side effects.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 26, 2013 8:10 AM
Review by Alain2013: User Rating:

Change my life dramatically within a week. I'm mixed-rapid-cycling. I rapid I mean within the same day. Worse, I feel like behing depress and maniac at the same time. Lamotrigine solve most of that. No real side-effet but vision, dry mouth. I feel that I taught is more clear and vivid than ever. Good feeling. I also have interesting dreams. I'm taking presently 250 mg/night. However now it's time to ajust again. Symptoms are coming back. Last word, add 300mg lithium, zopiclone 10mg and zyprexa 2.5

October 25, 2013 11:15 AM
Review by SmartBut (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

IQ of 130 but troubled emotional status. Wide range of problems extending from Paranoia Anxiety Anger Delusion Bitterness Depression to Suicidial. Had 3 major Bipolar Attacks in 2008 2010 and 2012. Successful career hit the bottom in all these attacks. Lamictak is the greatest drug for me it most literally SAVED MY LIFE I am using around 125mg daily and I know how I am. Before using this drug I really never did !! If you have similar symptoms never hesitate. Give it a TRY for sure.

October 21, 2013 4:23 AM
Review by adriannem203 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

For bipolar and depression: although I believe its about 80% depression. I started with 100mg and eventually got to 200mg. Took about 2-3 solid months to have full effect, and had unbearable back pain the entire time, and could only take it in the morning. Sleep was impossible with night dose. Once it started working, I really did feel so much better. Back pain stopped. Still have daily spurts of 'I love everybody' mania but my lows sometimes last days, lately longer. Unfortunately, my depression symptoms have started coming back more frequently and when I tried adding a 200mg dose, I had mind blowing joint pain. The pain was indescribable. Has caused me to gain about 10-15 lbs in the past year. Also not the rash, but have weird spots on skin.

September 24, 2013 11:22 AM
Review by Miracle Drug (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I have very extreme rapid cycling bi-polar disorder, it had become much worse in the last 6 months and I had become extremely irritable. I had just about all of the side effects that came with this medicine but I knew it was helping me. I truly needed the treatment and for my children would see this through. After a month or two all of the horrible side effects were gone. This medicine was a miracle for me, saved me, and my marriage. It allowed me to step back and realize the problem in my life was me and I needed to change and this medication brought me back to my old self. I was in denial of how sick I had become until I took this medication and became normal again.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 16, 2013 1:35 PM
Review by mika10684 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

It helped but I stopped taking it because I'm trying to conceive.

September 9, 2013 5:40 PM