User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Rating Summary

8.5/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

"In my opinion, Lamictal is a great medication. It helped with my moodswings & I didn't experience any side effects from it. The only reason I stopped taking it was because I was having trouble affording it. Otherwise, I'm sure I would still be taking it to this day."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I've take so many medications throughout the years. There was always something I didn't like. I always felt off with every medication. I found out about St John's Wort and it CHANGED MY LIFE! ZERO SIDE EFFECTS! If you're wondering about medications please give St John's wort a try! I feel like me, but a BETTER me! Not a "medicated" me"

Meagan6509 January 25, 2016

"I have Bi Polar Disorder and had so far tried 4 or 5 combinations of mood stabilisers without success. Started on Lamotragine on a small dose and increased up to 100mg twice a day and felt good for a month. Fell then into a low and increased to 150mg twice a day and this has really helped. I recommend these to anyone who suffers with Bi Polar lows often"

DashingBrian January 22, 2016

"I've been bipolar for 20 years. I'm a scientist, when I'm working. Lithium has always been helpful but is not so great for depression though it does help if you take it a while. I finally started lamotrigine about a month ago. Lots of friends and professionals I know and trust said I should. I was skeptical since drugs tend to be bad news. After just a month (I titrated up quickly, so I've been on 100 for 2 weeks. probably best not do that there's a fatal skin disease you can get) my low level depression feels better. I'd say it's genuinely beneficial for bipolar depression. A little dizziness but not so bad, and it fades. My friends say there's no evidence that more than 100mg or 150 helps, but it could increase side effects. 100 is good"

sulcus1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 19, 2016

"I have always been moody. Sometimes more than other times. My menstrual cycle, children, jobs, school, work, driving, husband, and everything else not mentioned made me mad for no reason. I hated the way I felt when I responded negatively but couldn't do better. This medicine allows me to finally be somewhat normal. I am excited about all the things go above now. They are full. Like I once had hoped"

Lori31yrs January 15, 2016

"I have several people in my family who has bipolar disorder but did not like the fact that my depression and manic symptoms were results of this. While I was in the military they tried numerous medications, from clonazepam and celexa, to trazodone and effexor. Finally one of my Doctors decided to try me on lamotrigine and see how it works. I must tell you quite honestly that this is one of the best medications I have ever tried to combat my bipolar disorder. During the entire time I was being treated for this I had to deal with an injury I had during the war. The military's option was to dope me up to my eyeballs with opiates, which unsurprisingly made my mood unbelievably euphoric constantly."

Beaker82 January 2, 2016

"On it for 6 years 200mg twice a day. This was a life-changing drug for me I also take Ritalin which has been working for the last 2 years. The lamictal really makes me feel like I have a repaired foundation in my personality. The Ritalin has added to my concentration and keeps me calm and even keeled. I had tried many other medications from my psychiatrist that worked for a short time, but nothing has been as long lasting as these 2 medications. One of the best reasons I have for knowing that they are doing their job is.. most people who know me such as friends , family and fiance would like to give my doctor a great big kiss.."

Surfcrab (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

"I learned to live happy in a depressive low. Lamictal, or lomotrogene messed that up. I'm very conscious of my emotions as a lot of people who have bipolar and choose not to take medication. So I know my aggression triggers, I know my anger sometimes comes on and I just want to argue. I know when I am manic. I know when I am sad and having suicidal thoughts. That 10 years no mood stabilizers, depressed the whole time but able to manage it as the disease This drug now it could have been the combo of lomotrugene and clonazepam. My brain began to fight itself I turned into a destructive manic with into a week I was trying to leave my gf and child, for a past ex delusional thoughts she was still in love with me. "

moosejay December 28, 2015

"I have taken Lamictal for 12 years. I was taking 150mgs, now 75mg daily. I have not been manic the entire 12 years, and that is what I wanted to prevent. I still feel sad and scared sometimes but not manic. I am an introvert and like to have a lot of alone time to read, work on the computer, etc. so it's not going to make you an extrovert if you really aren't one. I have medical insurance that helps pay for the brand name, since the generic doesn't work for me. I ended up in the hospital on the generic. I will never stop taking Lamictal, because I don't ever want to not be in control of myself."

Larry6521 December 22, 2015

"I was on lamictal for about 5 months. Knocked out the hypomania but did nothing for my depression; it made me feel completely numb which was worse than being depressed/in pain. Also made me horribly nauseous for the entire time I was on it."

Invisiblecreeper December 19, 2015

"I've been on this drug for a little over a month now (lowest dose) along with clonazapam, and trazodone for sleep (all low dose). Like others have said this has changed my life...it felt like I literally changed overnight for the better. I stil have small crying spells and get agitated, but mostly I'm happy. I feel I can talk to anyone now, have lots more confidence, and feel way more motivated. One thing too is that since I am motivated and keep myself, busy I don't overeat like I did when I was going through my major ups and downs. Like others have stated, talk therapy in conjunction with these meds helps tremendously. What also helps is having a good support group too :)"

Luvbugnorm December 4, 2015

"It's a strange little med. You won't always notice it until you come around to a point where you should feel anxious, stressed or depressed and you don't. There isn't an "aha" moment until about 6 months down the road to a year. This is because I found for myself, that going up 25 mgs a month worked best. I had gone up fast as the prescribing recommendation but it seemed to fast for me. Currently at 200mgs, moving up to 300mgs, I've been on it for a year and a half with very good results."

Patient ZERO to One November 14, 2015

"Have been on 300mg for over 6 months with 0 improvement, I've actually gotten worse as things have progressed substantially for the worse. I can't take lithium due to being naturally dehydrated all the time. I was told this drug was gonna change my life, it just wasted my damn time."

ChristianSBS52 October 27, 2015

"I've been taking lamictal for three years. I never felt it worked in the first place, but the docs kept increasing the dose because it was not working. After being on 200 mg for about 9 months, I've decided that it was not worth taking a pill that does absolutely nothing for me. I still get severely depressed. I've tried most drugs out there and am running out of options, but this is not one of them"

Mizzfit (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2015

"My whole life has been a process of up and down, excellency and total failure, elation and depression. Finally, since starting lamictal, I have become "normal." I don't lose my mind when bad things happen or get so excited when good things happen that I forget to tend to other tasks. Sure, I get sad. But it's normal sad, it's human-- not this overwhelming and crippling process. Same thing with happiness, things make me happy, but not irrationally overjoyed. As a college student, I've decided to commit myself to pre med in the hope of one day becoming a psychiatrist. I want to give other people the same new lease on life I was given. (Mind you, talk therapy is also crucial in personal development.)"

Rkra October 22, 2015

"I have been struggling with ups and downs since I was 17. I mostly experienced a constant state of unhappiness and bitterness with bouts of exhausting excitement and over confidence during short episodes. The depressive episodes were getting more intense with suicidal attempts and I was told many times I could be bipolar yet never really addressed it. I was put on lamictal 5 months ago and it saved my life. I have a new job, my mariage has been saved and I feel very stable, myself still but only the good parts are left. Amazing. Coupled with therapy it's like a second chance at life!!!!"

Ben82 October 2, 2015

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have just started back on Lamictal. It made a huge difference steadying my mood, calming my anxiety and allowing me to focus. However, it really dried my out. My skin because quite itchy, and dry and my mouth felt like a desert (bad breath followed). I felt itchy all over, and ended up getting a rash on my face, which turned into a lump which had to be removed. My Dr. said that I was taking too much (200mg twice a day). I took time off Lamictal, and my moods started to fluctuate after a while (not straight away), and my partner took me aside and told me that it was time to get back on it. I have modified my dose to 2 x 50mg which sees me through the day and the evening and the side affects had basically gone."

EduardoSanchez September 16, 2015

"I have been on Lamictal for hmm... ~5 months now. I feel it has seriously been one of the most helpful things in my life. I feel very present to the moment, mostly calm, and overall.. content. It basically just improves my personality. Some side effects though. Terrible memory. Seriously. My perception of time is all out of whack too. I said I have been taking it for only 5 months but that is so hard to believe! It feels like I've on it for at least a year. Oh well. I still like it because lifestyle doesn't require a sharp memory. If your lifestyle does require sharpness I advise against taking this."

Agent 700 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2015

"I have suffered from bipolar disorder for more than ten years but only recently sought help for it because it was getting way out of hand. I was put on a few different medications in the beginning, including Wellbutrin and Risperidone. Those eventually made things worse so I opted out of that treatment, and was prescribed Lamictal. It took about a month to fully kick in, but I have noticed a huge difference in my mental state. I have not had a major depressive episode since starting treatment. I have not gone manic yet. For the first time in many years, I feel normal; I get happy when good things happen and sad when bad things happen. My feelings are not influenced by my illness anymore (at least not yet). Thanks, Lamictal!"

that one girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 7, 2015

"I've been on 200mg of lamotrigine for 5 years. I also take 50mg of seroquel at bedtime which also helps immensely with my insomnia. And yes, it took a moment to pull that last word our of my brain and I do goof up words sometimes, but so do all the other alcoholics I know and love. I self medicated for many years and it worked even better after quitting 2 years ago. I still am a little manic, and vaguely depressed under stress, but this treatment has been a lifesaver. I highly recommend giving it a try if your unhappy with your current regimen, but you'll have to give it time. It took me about 6 months to get the full benefit."

seg109 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 6, 2015

"I was given Rx for lamictal when we finally discovered I had cyclothymic disorder vs. Generalized AD and MDD. I felt great on effexor xr for awhile, then was having severe anxiety (I thought) which turned out to be a bipolar episode. We added lamictal and decreased my effexor from 300mg to 150mg. Now I am able to recognize my cycles and take 150mg of effexor from October to march then 75mg effexor March to October. I take 150mg lamictal all year and 1mg klonopin at bedtime every night to sleep. I am also allowed 1 klonopin daily as needed but rarely need to use that. Lamictal is my wonder drug!!! After suffering for 20 years trying to figure out the right combination of meds to feel good I am on track!"

MamaReddd September 3, 2015

"Lamictal, I feel it has truly helped with ONLY my depression (why I rated a 10), and not with my mania. I actually feel a bit more inpatient with situations and anger grows stronger faster. I have also read that this medication can actually make mania worse."

AlyJ August 25, 2015

"All I can say is that I am quite pleased with this--sure hope this drop foot that I have is not related--but I still think I'll keep it--too tired to face another hospitalization ;"

Winged August 13, 2015

"Lamictal rocks! Been on several different meds for bipolar and was beginning to feel hopeless. But doctor changed me over to lamictal and after two weeks I feel like a new and normal person! No more manias and only slight depression episodes rarely! Love it!!!"

Robindav August 12, 2015

"Currently, I'm prescribed to 100mg of Lamictal, 200mg of Zoloft, 10mg of Adderall IR, and 20mg of Adderall XR. I originally started on Lamictal at 25mg, and it had little affect on my mood stability. I believe it triggered a mixed state episode until I was prescribed 100mg. About two months in, it's been a lifesaver. My moods feel very stable, I am generally happy, and I am able to take care of myself with little resistance. I am also motivated to regularly run errands. (I do believe it may have made me slighty manic.) Prior to Lamictal, I was on 25mg of Abilify, and it was ineffective and made me very tired. I had poor hygiene, I was unable to interact with others or be in public places, and I had difficulty keeping up with housework"

RacingThoughts (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 4, 2015