User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It has saved my life. Literally.

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Zina S.:

While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM

Review by AntoniaM:

I'm on Wellbutrin already and was recently put on Lamictal, it stabilized my moods a bit, but I stopped taking it due to the horrible insomnia and very vivid dreams. Every time I went to bed and managed to sleep I woke up exhausted due to my brain consistently running through the night. I had to stop it, I was tired all the time because of the horrible insomnia.

October 27, 2014 8:15 PM

Review by Bipolar I (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I love Lamictal not only does it help with stabilizing my moods it has reduced my migraines by 85%. I have bipolar I, rapid cycles, with mixed episodes. With regards to the scare of the rash, I have no problems going from 100mg to 200 or 300 in dosing. I have so side effects at all. I have taken pretty much everything out there but this one has done well for me for 7 years now.

October 26, 2014 1:13 AM

Review by warrencarp (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I am 52 year old male and Lamictal was a God send. I was in a bad way for a few years until a new doctor said, "We can fix this" and prescribed Lamictal. Within a week, I was back. I was able to get on top of and manage my depression, anxiety and anger. It was so great to be the person I wanted to be instead of the angry mess I had become. That may sound overly dramatic, but it's true and may speak to some of you.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 23, 2014 3:59 PM

Review by julnyjett (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Seeing all the positive reviews its upsetting it didn't work out for me. I started losing my hair very rapidly. My hair is the thinest its ever been in my entire life. So I stopped taking it.

October 22, 2014 10:08 AM

Review by royal yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I sing the praises of Lamictal. I have been on 150mg in the morning for over 7 years along with Seroquel XL 100 mg at night. The combination has changed my life. I could not imagine life without depression and anxiety before I started these medicines. No side effects from either one. I feel fortunate.

October 21, 2014 11:50 PM

Review by Wizi (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I felt it necessary to leave a review because of how well this medication has worked for me. However, I have been quite seriously bipolar (with panic disorder) for over 30 years. As you can imagine I have been on many medications. About two years ago nearly everything had gone wrong in my life - including being homeless and drinking far too much. I pulled out of that with the help of Seroquel. But I was still having really really bad times. Then I met someone who suggested this medication. Well it was not instant but slowly I started becoming "normal". Normal to me is wonderful. Now I hardly drink.. Why - because I drank to cure myself.. I actually wake up and look forward to the day. I feel young again!

131 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 24, 2014 1:19 PM

Review by Missme2314 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Duration 3 years I am 23. This medication changed my life and I am not exactly sure why I take it because I feel "normal" I wasn't bipolar however I was just flat out raging deeply depressed would stay up all night. I did crazy things. I also had horrible life threatening anxiety, generalized anxiety disorder and sitting still. I almost stopped taking it when I finally went to a DR because I couldn't go to college anymore because I was a complete wreck all the time. Every tiny little thing threw me into anger and depression and jealousy. Medication made me sick in beginning but the Dr told me to keep taking it which this is how these medicines work. After around 3 months. I was NOT depressed EVER, slight mood but I'm OCD and moody in general! Anti-depressant did not work.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 21, 2014 11:31 AM

Review by tigerliyl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've gone from 25, 50,75,100 and been on 200mg a day for 4 weeks now. I've been on lithium, Seroquel, Seroquel XR and could not handle the side effects of all. Lamictal has been magic. I can feel the change completely, I just feel like everything is a little 'slower' and that I'm not racing all the time. Bipolar 2. Best medication I have been on by far and can honestly say that this is one I plan to stick to. The side effects were small but there, dizziness when standing, headache and a little nausea for the first 6 weeks on and off but nothing compared to the emotions of bipolar.

September 15, 2014 7:24 PM

Review by carnivalofsouls (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been on Lamictal for almost 3 years now. I find that it keeps my moods stable and doesn't have the side effects I experienced on other medications. I was able to continue taking it while pregnant and breastfeeding.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 12:54 AM

Review by stevie c:

After being diagnosed as bipolar from an exceptional great doctor he spent almost 2 years trying different medications and combinations he found Lamictal worked for me. I am on a once a day dose 100mg and went from severe to working full time and enjoying life again. The worst part was losing my family as they don't understand it. It begins with a good doctor and being true to yourself to know what works.

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 24, 2014 11:06 PM

Review by debbbiiieee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Worked wonders! Went off Depakote ER, lost the 50 lbs, went on Lamictal, also take 20 mg of Lexapro for depressive moods. Feel great!

August 20, 2014 11:20 AM

Review by Tanasio:

Bipolar 2(now 65) with years of trying every mood disorder medicine around until Lamotrigine was recommended for Bipolar 2. Felt back in my 'own' skin again after 20 years of 'enduring' life. On 200mg twice daily takes a while to adjust dose so please be patient..it gave me back my life!

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 8:04 PM

I'm 54 yrs old now & I've struggled most my life with severe depression and anxiety. Many issues in my life would be intense and just make me be so upset. Taking this Lamictal now for 2 months at 200mg. Has so much stabilized my mood. I've been so much more settle and handling situations more calmly . A Great medicine.

102 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 27, 2014 7:40 PM

Review by Twahlstrand (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I have been taking Lamictal for 4 years now it has helped me to manage my symptoms even though I have had to have a few adjustments to the medicines recently. With the increase so far I haven't had any episodes.

June 3, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by Glamdoll (taken for less than 1 month):

Diag: Bipolar 2 with predominant depression, plus panic disorder. I have been taking a very low starter dose (25mg) of Lamictal for about 3 weeks. I'm due to up the dose to 50mg now. Aside from my anti-panic emergency medicine and proprananol for blood pressure, I've never "upped" a dose of anything. I typically give up on a medicine for one reason or another (not effective, negative side effects, complicated dosing, cost, etc). Lamictal is a prescription that I intend to up my dose to 50mg though, and will do so gladly. People have commented on a more calm & "mellow" mood, a greater tolerance to stress and irritations, and being more pleasant to others. I'm on a slightly more even keel now & look forward to seeing what's next with increased dose

113 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2014 5:16 PM

Review by hopefulTony (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Started this medicine slowly 25 mg a day for two weeks, then went up to 50mg for 2 weeks. Still did not feel much better, went up too 100mg a day for 4 days feeling lethargic, the fifth day on it starting feeling a little better. But, I started getting itchy all over and started a very small rash on my side near my butt, My doc told me to stop it, cut the dose in half last night and then stop. He put me on Tegretol today, taking my first dose at dinner.

April 29, 2014 5:42 PM

Review by insanelyquierd (taken for less than 1 month):

I wasn't on this long enough to see anything positive, because it made me lethargic, gave me headaches, body aches, and completely sunk my libido. Two other people I know who went on Lamictal around same time as me also had their libidos die.

April 10, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by brenndo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on and off this medication for nearly 10 years and it has been generally helpful most of the time. It takes a long time to titrate up, and the there is a very specific dose that is different for everybody, but once you get it right, the medication is remarkably helpful. In my experience, it all but eradicates Bipolar Depression and it reduces the severity of Bipolar Mania. Don't worry so much about the rash if you're a hypochondriac like me. "The Rash" most likely would only be limited to mucus membranes around the eyes, nose, mouth and genitals. One thing I should add: over time, the medications seems to lose effectiveness and if you frequently discontinue, this effect is exacerbated. Eventually I had to add lithium.

April 8, 2014 1:31 PM