User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal review summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by chrisbce (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal helps with my bipolar depression. I haven't felt helpless or hopeless since starting the medication. I take the maximum dosage of 200mg twice per day.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2015 7:49 AM

Review by Hatter123:

I have mercury-poisoning induced Bipolar II and took Lamictal. It made me feel great until I ended up in the hospital with erythema multiforme covering my whole body and aseptic meningitis. I was very disappointed because I was starting to feel really good on it. Andy Cutler Protocol has been the best treatment for me thus far, but I really wanted something to eliminate the depressive episodes (my manic ones are mild) while I get all the mercury out.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 29, 2015 2:09 PM

Review by msmac93 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I just started this med and I am on week 5 of the "starter" pack. I know it's a little soon to give my opinion BUT I want to give words of encouragement if you're struggling with your diagnosis and taking "that pill". I spent so much time in a deep, dark hole and I started getting "scared" that I wasn't going to see sunshine in my life again. I became desperate enough to call my Doc and agreed that I was "probably" bipolar (she saw it and I was in denial!) and I was willing to talk "meds". After the first two weeks I noticed that life was looking better and I felt like participating a little...by the end of week 4 I was able to have a conversation. I'm starting to see beautiful colors in my once bleak world!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 27, 2015 5:50 PM

Review by tenover:

I've been on this medicine 175mg per for 5 years-cyclothymia-miracle medicine. I was either angry or ecstatic on any given day. Now the same guy shows up every day-so thankful for this medicine.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 23, 2015 12:00 PM

Review by glam1 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I've been on Lamotrigine (lamictal) for about a year. DR VERY slowly dosed me up to 150mg mostly because I keep missing doses. It begins working immediately. You'll experience drowsiness with each dosage upgrade. I started feeling more "normal" and balanced. It has also reduced frequency and intensity of panic attacks, no more tremors (might be due to addition of proprananol). I feel I should have been on this for years before now. I think it has increased made my skin dryer but thankfully no rash. It helped me cope with grief and aggression too. I've insisted that Dr never take Me off this med.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 22, 2015 2:16 PM

Review by BDPM (taken for 2 to 5 years):

This was very, very good. I have MDNOS (Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) however, it is likely that I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, and my doctor has used the terms hypomania and major depression to describe elements of my condition. I also experience some anxiety. I tried Zoloft before, but as many people with Bipolar Disorders know, that can lead to some bad things happening. I had significant side effects and it made me irritable. When I got to Lamictal, I immediately noticed how much better things were. First, I began to feel less depressed, and I noticed that I had virtually no side effects. I have never even heard of a psych medication with no side effects (for me at least). It worked well for all of my problems.

April 9, 2015 8:51 PM

Review by BAAAEE (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Lamictal is a great medication for the depressive side of my bipolar 1 disorder, but try as I may, it is not a good mono-therapy, meaning I can't take it alone. I need another mood stabilizing medication with it or it causes anxiety and irritability to worsen. I'm giving it 7 of 10 stars because it doesn't work for bipolar 1 as a mono-therapy and has effected my memory and ability to recall words and to read quickly. Side effects for me are reading difficulty, memory issues, and break through anxiety and irritability.

March 30, 2015 10:32 AM

Review by mellatpal (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I've been on lamictal for about a month now. I started on 50mg, 2nd week 75mg, and 3rd week 100mg at night. 1st 2 days in on 50 I felt borderline aggressive and very irritable. This evened out on the 3rd day and I began to feel very motivated and able to think clearly. I still experienced a few depressive episodes, but I hope to get onto an antidepressant once my dose is high enough. I've began taking 25mg in the AM to slowly move up to 100 in the AM on top of my 100 at night. Since I have, my memory, attention, and anxiety have worsened and other side effects have been sweating, raised heart rate, some trouble sleeping, and slight photo-sensitivity. Most of these have subsided as I adjust so overall it's best to stick with it for a bit.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 27, 2015 4:55 AM

Review by Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions.

March 22, 2015 8:39 PM

Review by Lewisnancy (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Not very helpful for the depression except at higher dose of 300+mg. at that dose I experienced severe hair loss: About a third of my hair fell out in about four months

March 8, 2015 8:44 PM

Review by Thekimmer (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I experienced depressive episodes once every 10 years or so, 18 months duration. When my husband died suddenly of coronary problems in '89, I was in a down stage--which didn't change until the Dr. and I found Lamictal. Tried 11 meds before without result, still locked into depression. Was tired or hyper while we worked out the dosage. Very slight hair loss was a small price to pay for a new life! Friends even remarked on the favorable attitude change. I can't thank the developers enough and it's a shame it doesn't work for all bipolar II sufferers!

February 18, 2015 11:26 AM

Review by dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Thanks Lamictal, my moods are level (no lows or highs),no more rapid cycling or rapid thoughts, feel confident, happy, more energy, haven't had one depressive thought since starting this medication and at my correct dose of 200mg (cut in half and take 1/2 tablet twice per day, works out cheaper this way). Finally found the best medication for me.

February 15, 2015 9:45 AM

Review by Llilys (taken for 2 to 5 years):

3 yrs, 150 x 150mg. Too many side effects including total oral decay due to no saliva production.

February 14, 2015 4:10 PM

Review by valchicago:

I took Lamictal for 6 months to treat bipolar and anxiety. As far as I can tell, it did nothing for me. Took forever to titrate up, due to the risk of rash, and am now weaning myself off. Trying Seroquel now, which is showing far more promise.

February 12, 2015 9:53 AM

Review by amanda louise (taken for 1 to 2 years):

works great for mood swings and temper problems, substantially reduced anxiety

February 11, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Longtermbipolar:

After years of antidepressant tablets that worked only to blank out my memory and let me survive, I went on to lamotragine six months ago. Suddenly and quickly I started to feel normal again. My long term memory has returned, and I take pleasure in music and nature again. I feel so much happier. On the negative side the fatigue became a problem but has reduced as I reduced my dose to get to optimal. Insomnia and vivid dreams have increased but I can deal with that. Also blurred vision and dizziness that is slowly disappearing. In short a miracle for bipolar 2. I also take Lexapro.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2015 5:06 PM

Review by smdera (taken for 5 to 10 years):

This has saved my life, but make sure to take it on time

January 23, 2015 1:35 AM

Review by Ailicec (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

As a mood stabilizer for Bipolar Disorder, Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I was worried about getting the dreaded "Lamictal rash" but never did. My doctor followed the guidelines for increasing the dose slowly and I never had any side effects. I have been on the maintenance dose for several months and I actually feel normal. If there is such a thing. I am currently taking Lamictal in conjunction with the antidepressant, Cymbalta. Finding the right medication(s) can be very frustrating, but please don't give up.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 5, 2015 11:58 PM

Review by AustiNique (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It has saved my life. Literally.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 3, 2015 8:52 PM

Review by Zina S.:

While taking this medicine... It keeps my mind racing, kept my heart %u2665 racing. For the 3 weeks I've been taking it my blood pressure stayed high while taking the meds now that I stop taking them my blood pressure been back to normal. I stayed very hot & dizzy while on it. I felt the same just had a little energy.

December 28, 2014 8:11 AM

Review by Imokyourok (taken for less than 1 month):

I've suffered from depression and anxiety since I was a teen, made worse after the birth of my child. I tried various antidepressants which had the usual side effects of headaches, sluggishness, low libido and weight gain. One was a total disaster and triggered a hypo manic episode. I've spent 3 years medication free, with no manic episodes but still struggling with depression. 3 weeks ago I started Lamictal. I know it's early days to call it a win but I immediately felt better. The volume on that horrible self talk has been muted, I feel positive and optimistic. No headaches, no loss of libido and it is weight neutral. I have noticed a few side effects - the first week my skin was very itchy and I'm losing more hair than usual. Hope this subsides.

December 27, 2014 3:36 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have rapid clycling bipolar disorder and was diagnosed five years ago. After trying, Seroquel, Risperdal and Lithium with failure, a combination of Lamictal and Rivotril works for me. All the other medicines never work or side effects where making me drowsy. I got side effects from Lamictal for 2 days when I increased the dose every two weeks until I got to the recommended dose and I take Rivoril to control anxiety every now and then. Also the anxiety diminished as the Lamictal dose got closer to the full recommended dosage.

November 23, 2014 8:25 PM

Review by Margoladybug (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was on Lamictal in the past and it was wonderful, it really helped me control my mood and anger issues but of course like any bipolar person I stop taking medicines. I was but on other meds that affected me the wrong way. I am now back on them and can't wait till I am at my right dosage. You have to give it time and slowly get to the right dosage. It CAN and WILL help. In past I was on it for 2 years.

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by Bipolar 2 Gal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I titrated up to 100 mg over a two month period. I have had chronic depression since my teens, with one episode of hypomania and rapid cycling. I have taken Depakote, which had horrible neurological side effects, and Tegretol, which stabilized me but did nothing for depression. The Lamictal has completely done away with depression. My only side-effect is anorexia. I have to force myself to eat and I get full right away. I needed to lose weight so this isn't a bad thing.

62 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 13, 2014 12:35 PM

Review by Mel2237 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This medication has changed my life. While I have notice that I've gained a few pounds, that's nothing compared to me being able to live happily again.

November 11, 2014 6:13 PM