User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Lamictal Review Summary

8.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Lamictal to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Lamictal worked at 25mg seems like every 6 weeks it's time to up dosage, currently at 250 and raise to 275 in week. Is there anything out there I can take with lamictal, I don't want to gain weight. Anti depressant is a med I take also"

divey (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 27, 2015

"Had severe depression..anxiety. .and elevated mood swings for years.just started meds in my early 50s. ..Lexapro..gradual doses..at first began to notice results in all 3 areas..but extremely sleepy no matter what time i took it...it seemed to level off at about 50% effectiveness...than slowly decreased in its effectiveness. .went on Lamo...more energy..but mood swings came back..no patience or tolerance again, forgetfulness...and anxiety. ..rambling thoughts in my head continually. ..I am returning back to my original prognosis. ..didn't find it to be of help at all....up to 200mg...really don't want to keep experimenting...not sure of next step. .."

over this (taken for less than 1 month) July 12, 2015

"I am so glad I was prescribed Lamitcal two months ago after struggling with bipolar disorder for the majority of my life. I had been getting progressively worse over the years with manic cycling frequently to the point I couldn't function. I was very skeptical numerous medications over the years. I thought nothing would help and within three weeks my life completely turned around. The constant edge is gone, I'm calm, thinking clearing and I feel in control. I am so grateful this works for me, hope it works for you."

LJDW (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2015

"Deeply depressed for 7 months after a manic period of 7 months. Would come home from work and just go to bed and stay there for 14 hours until it was time to go to work again. Taking Bupropion in the AM without effect in increasing doses for all 7 months. After titrating up the Lamictal through the increasing doses as required, the fog lifted 3 days after I started on the 200mg dose. Thank you modern medicine"

ThisIsReal June 30, 2015

"I was diagnosed bipolar II a little over 4 years ago. I was manic for a long time, I'm talking 2 years. With episodes of extreme depression. I wouldn't take my medications and ended up in and out of several mental health centers at several hospitals, well over 10 hospitalizations. I was a reckless mess. I can't even remember a lot of that time period. I was losing everything along with my mind- I was gone without a doubt. I saw this Dr yet can't remember his name, while in the hospital and he was so nice and didn't want to sedate me like I had been in the past. He put me on lamictal for the first time. This was 3 years ago. It saved my life. Works within the first week. Seriously the best mood stabilizer ever."

Italygurl June 28, 2015

"I have been on this drug for 4 weeks I notice very subtle changes. I've titrated up 25mg a week every week and I'm currently taking 125 mg. I still am probably 3 weeks away for full effects but I am noticing some good things. I no longer think about killing myself all day and I have less anxiety than I did four weeks ago. I feel optimistic that better days are ahead. I also take ativan for anxiety but will likely discontinue once I'm at the key mg amount which I believe is 200."

HMD321 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 12, 2015

"This is the best mood stabilizer I have been on!"

Ty-Ty June 9, 2015

"I have Bipolar II, with gradioise mania and severe depression. After about a month of taking Lamictil, my moods stabilized dramatically. At one point, I supplemented with Abilify, but have recently been able to stop taking and now rely on Lamictil solely. I attribute Lamictil to saving my marriage and career; it scares me to think about how my life would be without it!"

GingerQuackle May 31, 2015

"I have only been taking this medicine for a week but I am 100% a totally different person! My husband has been as patient with me as humanly possible but I could see that my constant anxiety, depression and crazy up all night crying feeling like I was a person that couldn't be loved by anyone begging him to love me (he would just sit there and say I do love you baby with all my heart) but it was pushing him further and further away I am 23 and have been in emotional and mental hell since I can remember with sick and demented dreams. I have tried several different meds lexapro Wellbutrin seraquil xr Xanax Zoloft. I'm now on celxa and lamictal and I feel like a new person my Dr saved me my relationship, my life and my family!!"

Beautifuldisaster2015 (taken for less than 1 month) May 21, 2015

"This was the first medication I tried after being diagnosed with bi-polar dissorder. at first I started at 25mg and it worked for a few weeks after the initial week of pure headaches and drowsiness. Soon after though it became ineffective and my anxiety levels progressed. It seemed like because my body relied on the drug I didn't know how to deal with my swings without them so I felt like my swings were worse. Then we kept getting higher and it worked but kept stopping until I got to 200mg one in the morning one a little later. We did this so when the half life wore off I could take it again, and so far this has been amazing. My swings are calm and I feel genuine happiness aside from my anxiety (which I am trying different meds for) I'm great"

kimilaughsalot (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 20, 2015

"For years I have been misdiagnosed. I have been on Cymbalta, Seroquel, Celexa, Xanax, Olanzaprine, Vyvanse, and many other drugs I can't remember the names of. Then I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder. After multiple medications my doctor put me on Lamictal. At 25mg I could tell that I was feeling better but I was still experiencing depression and hypomania. After two weeks I increased to 50mg and started to notice a big difference. My moods were more stable and I could function normally. Although lethargy is still a problem but nothing coffee can't cure! Now I'm on 100mg and although I'm still tired, I feel much better. This has saved my life and my relationships!!"

Twaldroo (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

"ABSOLUTE LIFE SAVER. I am 25, a sober alcoholic (2 years) and diagnosed with MDNOS. I would love to get a real diagnosis - bipolar is as close as they've come, BPD is my personal view. Lamictal seriously changed my life. It leveled me out so that I could live my life and not have terrible bouts of sobbing in the closet wishing to die and screaming at people at the same time. I was still not super happy, so we added Lexapro, which helped a lot and Celexa later (instead of Lexapro), which helped more. Really want to switch to Wellbutrin XL now because I have no sex drive which is detrimental to my relationship, plus I'm late for work pretty much every day and could sleep until 1PM. But I will never go off Lamictal, serious life saver."

Jenny476 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 6, 2015

"I'm bipolar with mania. Also, I've been a addict for 25 years (self medicating my mania). I hated all the mood stabilizers I've ever tried, but would always eventually go back to using. Anyone that has lived in a constant manic state of mind knows how hard it is. After many many years of trying to get clean I reluctantly gave Lamictal a try. It has literally saved my life. It has totally balanced my crazy brain. My thoughts are not a 1000 miles an hour, I can actually sleep and eat normal and most importantly I no longer self medicate by using drugs and alcohol. My wife can write a book of what this medication has done for me and our family."

Jeffwhit May 5, 2015

"Lamictal helps with my bipolar depression. I haven't felt helpless or hopeless since starting the medication. I take the maximum dosage of 200mg twice per day."

chrisbce (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2015

"I have mercury-poisoning induced Bipolar II and took Lamictal. It made me feel great until I ended up in the hospital with erythema multiforme covering my whole body and aseptic meningitis. I was very disappointed because I was starting to feel really good on it. Andy Cutler Protocol has been the best treatment for me thus far, but I really wanted something to eliminate the depressive episodes (my manic ones are mild) while I get all the mercury out."

Hatter123 April 29, 2015

"I just started this med and I am on week 5 of the "starter" pack. I know it's a little soon to give my opinion BUT I want to give words of encouragement if you're struggling with your diagnosis and taking "that pill". I spent so much time in a deep, dark hole and I started getting "scared" that I wasn't going to see sunshine in my life again. I became desperate enough to call my Doc and agreed that I was "probably" bipolar (she saw it and I was in denial!) and I was willing to talk "meds". After the first two weeks I noticed that life was looking better and I felt like participating a little...by the end of week 4 I was able to have a conversation. I'm starting to see beautiful colors in my once bleak world!"

msmac93 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 27, 2015

"I've been on this medicine 175mg per for 5 years-cyclothymia-miracle medicine. I was either angry or ecstatic on any given day. Now the same guy shows up every day-so thankful for this medicine."

tenover April 23, 2015

"I've been on Lamotrigine (lamictal) for about a year. DR VERY slowly dosed me up to 150mg mostly because I keep missing doses. It begins working immediately. You'll experience drowsiness with each dosage upgrade. I started feeling more "normal" and balanced. It has also reduced frequency and intensity of panic attacks, no more tremors (might be due to addition of proprananol). I feel I should have been on this for years before now. I think it has increased made my skin dryer but thankfully no rash. It helped me cope with grief and aggression too. I've insisted that Dr never take Me off this med."

glam1 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

"This was very, very good. I have MDNOS (Mood Disorder Not Otherwise Specified) however, it is likely that I have Bipolar 2 Disorder, and my doctor has used the terms hypomania and major depression to describe elements of my condition. I also experience some anxiety. I tried Zoloft before, but as many people with Bipolar Disorders know, that can lead to some bad things happening. I had significant side effects and it made me irritable. When I got to Lamictal, I immediately noticed how much better things were. First, I began to feel less depressed, and I noticed that I had virtually no side effects. I have never even heard of a psych medication with no side effects (for me at least). It worked well for all of my problems."

BDPM (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 9, 2015

"Lamictal is a great medication for the depressive side of my bipolar 1 disorder, but try as I may, it is not a good mono-therapy, meaning I can't take it alone. I need another mood stabilizing medication with it or it causes anxiety and irritability to worsen. I'm giving it 7 of 10 stars because it doesn't work for bipolar 1 as a mono-therapy and has effected my memory and ability to recall words and to read quickly. Side effects for me are reading difficulty, memory issues, and break through anxiety and irritability."

BAAAEE (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 30, 2015

"I've been on lamictal for about a month now. I started on 50mg, 2nd week 75mg, and 3rd week 100mg at night. 1st 2 days in on 50 I felt borderline aggressive and very irritable. This evened out on the 3rd day and I began to feel very motivated and able to think clearly. I still experienced a few depressive episodes, but I hope to get onto an antidepressant once my dose is high enough. I've began taking 25mg in the AM to slowly move up to 100 in the AM on top of my 100 at night. Since I have, my memory, attention, and anxiety have worsened and other side effects have been sweating, raised heart rate, some trouble sleeping, and slight photo-sensitivity. Most of these have subsided as I adjust so overall it's best to stick with it for a bit."

mellatpal (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 27, 2015

"I have been on this for about 8 yrs. It is the only thing that made me feel normal with out being loopy or "high". My only thing is that I am needing to either increase it or add something. Open to suggestions."

Salenad (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 22, 2015

"Not very helpful for the depression except at higher dose of 300+mg. at that dose I experienced severe hair loss: About a third of my hair fell out in about four months"

Lewisnancy (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 8, 2015

"Post concussion, leading to: explosive outbursts, withdrawal from activities I used to enjoy, addictive behaviors. I wasn't worried about the skin rash; the evidence is clear when slowly titrated up, the risk is low. I have experienced some cognitive sluggishness and muscle cramping at 150mg, but they are only annoyances. Drug saved my marriage and job, allowed me to become self-reflective (rather than self-hating) again. Also, I have experienced another (very welcome!) side effect: um, er, astonishing sexual pleasure. When I told my doc about this, he smiled, said a small percentage of patients will have this "side effect". I'm glad I have! So, the drug has worked well for me in many regards."

PDDr (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 27, 2015

"This medication literally saved my life. I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder Type 1. I also experience mixed episodes and psychosis. I've tried countless antidepressants, mood stabilizers, and antipsychotics. Upon being recommended this anticonvulsant, I was skeptical. It took a while to titrate to the effective level. I am now on 300 mg of Lamictal every day. This medication gave me head aches at first, I also experienced weight loss. I still have my bad days but they're not as intense and frequent as they were before this medication. I now have the will to live again, thanks to lamictal."

Anonymous February 19, 2015