User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 29 medications

7.7
Summary of Lamictal reviews 268 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by Amandajoh4251:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 seven years ago in College. I refused treatment, and my relationship with my husband started to deteriorate. I started Lamictal a year ago and have totally returned to my old self. I am happy, calm, rational and I found the motivation to lose fifty pounds. The only down fall is I kind of miss the ability to process information at a very rapid rate, but I gladly trade it for a great relationship with my husband and child.

123 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 15, 2013 11:02 AM

Review by Lea123:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar II when I was 18 years old. I have been on Lamictal for a year and a half now. Within a month of starting this medication I saw amazing results. I have experienced no depression and no hypomania whatsoever. After having bipolar II really run my life in my teen years and cause me to temporarily lose sight of myself, I feel like I have reconnected with who I truly am since starting this medication. I feel more myself than I have in so many years. I still feel things deeply hence unlike some antidepressants which numb you, per my own experience, Lamictal does not. If you truly have bipolar II, this is a wonderful medication. Much Love to you all on this tumultuous journey; stay strong and never lose hope.

195 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 8, 2013 1:17 AM

Review by Kiki30 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Prozac for 2 years for post traumatic stress disorder, in May 2012 I had gastric bypass surgery and recently went back to my doctor because I felt like I wasn't even on my Prozac anymore (I wasn't absorbing it after surgery) so he doubled the dose. After 3 days I felt way worse! So we dropped the Prozac back down and doubled my Topamax. The combination of Topamax and Prozac made me feel awful! I had uncontrollable crying, bad nausea, and was probably the most depressed I've ever been. I was diagnosed with a mild form of Bipolar, so we started on 50 mg of Lamictal for 3 days then we bumped to 100mgs. Its been 5 days, but I can honestly feel a difference! Haven't cried since, feel better mentally and I'm just happier.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2013 6:40 PM

Review by royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal changed my life! It is what I use as an antidepressant for Bipolar II (300 mg in the morning) along with Seroquel ER 100 mg at night which keeps my anxiety in check. No side effects from either.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2013 4:30 PM

Review by Raanin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've suffered with Bipolar II for roughly 7 years, after two suicide attempts, months of insomnia, and horrible manic events, I finally found a doctor who knew what he was talking about! In combination with Prozac, I have started my titration of Lamictal. I tried Zyprexa and gained 20 pounds in a month. With Lamictal, I've lost that and more. I hardly feel hungry. I have faith that once my dose is increased I won't have as many depressed days. So far so good!

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 19, 2013 8:54 PM

Review by Paige T. (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm 16 and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II a month ago. I was put on Lamictal six days later. Around two weeks of the effective dosage, I started to see stability in both my depression and hypomania without any personality change or affective flattening. I did get canker sores however, but no signs of the SJS rash yet. This is overall a pretty effective medicine from my experience.

April 10, 2013 9:23 PM

Review by kimmur (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: Been on Lamictal for about 5 yrs after many yrs of antidepressants and anxiety medicines. About 6 yrs ago after a very traumatic experience with losing my boys and husband nothing worked anymore, I started having stress induced seizures, some very serious! They put me on Lamictal and my periods of mania and mind racing slowly stopped, my restless legs syndrome went away. I actually started to feel and not be a robot. Side effects for me are drowsiness and slight weight gain (8 lbs), I'd gain any amount to feel normal. One VERY important fact to remember is dosage! Everyone has different amounts that work, and don't ever skip or adjust dosage on your own! I did it and paid the price. Hope this helps! I feel grateful to my doc for prescribing.

April 8, 2013 2:21 AM

Review by enlow (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizure Prevention: My grandson has silent seizures and has been on Lamictal for about 3 years. He is 16 years old. He started off on a 100mg a day. He was increased to 200mg daily. His seizures has stopped but he has lost a lot of weight. I discussed this with his doctor and he said it wasn't the medication. I had already done some research and saw that it could be a side effect. He told me to take him to his family doctor. When I took him to his family doctor she said it was the Lamictal. He also has terrible acne, has a hard time concentrating, has a hard time expressing himself and has severe constipation to the point he has bowel incontinence. He has had several problems with anger issues. These symptoms started when they upped his medication.

April 7, 2013 9:40 AM

Review by christaJ:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal for the last 2 years, its amazing and life changing! Very little side effects, besides weight gain for a lack of words, losing weight seems to be impossible for me, and I workout 5 days a week, so for that reason, I'm looking to see what else is out there. If by chance you are reading this and looking for something to help, this is IT! Really!

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2013 12:19 PM

Review by Xyzzy:

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medication. Immediate results. Life changing for me.

70 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was treated for years with Bipolar 2 disorder using various ant-depressants. They all made my moods cycle up and down. I'm now on Lamotrigine 300mg twice a day and feel better than I have in 20 years.I'm 66 now. I had to start slow and gradually work up to my present dosage. It was definitely effective for me to do it this way.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by EmilyFix:

For Bipolar Disorder: When I was 15, I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. The first ever medication for it that I was on, was Lamictal. Worked absolute wonders, until it started making me have my period every two weeks. So I stopped. I absolutely felt great on it, so it disappointed me that I had to get off of it. I have had a daughter since then, so I'm thinking my body has changed because of the pregnancy. I'm trying it again, and it actually started helping the next day! My psychosis is not under control because its only a mood stabilizer, but my thinking is a little clearer, and I'm in a better mood. Not quite there, but I can feel it working.

March 11, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Kimberly1331:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm a 30 year old female and I've had many different diagnosis as well. I've tried and failed with many antidepressants, antipsychotics, among others. Nothing ever worked or made me feel worse! Then I found Lamotrigine. I've been on 50MG a day for ten days now. After six days I was feeling great. But now I'm getting mood swings, itchy, slight headaches, and lots of crazy dreaming. I am still a little depressed and thought this is not going to work either. But thanks to all your good reviews I'm going to hang in there, wait until I find the right dose, and hopefully feel as good as all of you.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 11:38 AM

Review by Nickname already in use:

For Bipolar Disorder: Depression ever since I can remember. Had 15 good years on Prozac, but it stopped working. Have been trying all kinds of antidepressants & in December I was put on Lamictal. Worked up to 100 mg, stayed on for awhile, not much happening - thought it was just another med that wasn't going to work. My doc said the "therapeutic" dose so am slowly titrating up to 200 mg - currently at 175/day. Just yesterday I think I started feeling the miracle of Lamictal kicking in! Yesterday and today I have felt better than I have felt in soooooo long - don't stop before the miracle happens (unless you have bad side effects, like the rash, which thankfully I do not have). I want to shout my gratefulness from the rooftops!!

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 1:53 AM

Review by freednerd (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Found Lamictal to be wonderful, with *NO* side effects (can't say that about many medicines). Really worked for mood disorders. No withdrawal symptoms when I stopped it either. While I do not currently take this, if I am having a rough time with depression/mania this is what I request.

February 27, 2013 12:56 PM

Review by Minaosorio (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal for about a month and I can see the difference the only thing is that I am itching all over. I was wondering if that is normal with this medication. I have no rashes or red bumps, just I itch .

February 25, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by snoopytann (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Evens me out... Reduces the ups and downs.

February 24, 2013 5:20 AM

Review by Jen31:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine and Geodon in combination saved my life. I have been functioning normally for three years now. Hardly any noticeable side effects if any and mild to no mood swings.

February 12, 2013 6:14 PM

Review by Wkumomma:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lamictal for about two months. Yes, I have some side effects dry mouth, double vision sometimes when I blink it goes away, joint and muscle pain and now I think acne. I take 300mg during the day. 200mg at night. I also take gabapentin for muscle aches and joint pain which really helps! I also take Klonopin when necessary I am prescribed for half twice a day and one at night but don't need it. I have a ton of energy and lost weight food no longer is my priority. I exercise daily and feel fantastic! I do have anger issues I have always has that. I am in therapy also. I think and feel like a different person so the side effects far outweigh going off medicine! Good luck.

February 4, 2013 5:21 PM

Review by Melissa T (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm a 33 year old female. I have been taking Lamictal for 5 years. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to lead a normal life. I have been bipolar my entire life although was diagnosed with just depression until I was hospitalized with my first manic episode at the age of 22. I take 200mg Lamictal ODT (orally dissolving tablet) morning and night. Lamictal ODT is expensive and tastes awful but the ODT works better than the regular pill form of Lamictal for me. I have no side effects I know of. I also do cognitive behavioral "talk therapy", practice Tai Chi, and do my best to get regular sleep.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 2:57 PM

Review by cs2 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Lamictal for 3 days, so I really can't give a full review, however: today is Sunday and I took my first pill Fri before bed. I woke up Sat morning and laid there for a good ten minutes thinking "Something is weird"I realized, my mind was calm. For as long as I can remember, I've constantly had running thoughts and was always thinking of multiple things at a time. I can now think straight thoughts, I'm able to think a good amount clearer and because of it my stress has been a lot lower. I'm taking 25mg for Bipolar Disorder 2 and will write a new review as things develop. I haven't seen any change in my moods, but I've only just started. I've had a few dull headaches but no other side effects so far.

January 27, 2013 8:05 PM

Review by Ori (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: If my mania wasn't a thing to be reckoned with, I'd stop taking this. My hair has been thinning for the past year, and without Abilify in my combination of meds I'm a total zombie.

January 19, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by Eli Kaito:

For Bipolar Disorder: I had to stop taking lithium because it was damaging my kidneys and I got really sick, so I had to turn to Lamictal and expected it to not be as good. But it really is. The only downside is that since you have to slowly increase your dose to avoid the terrible rash, it might take a while for you to get to a level where it's helping as much as it can. But once you get up to the dose that's right for you, it's awesome and I haven't noticed any bad side effects.

January 19, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by Exhaustedmama:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Nothing noticed during loading, once I got to 150 mg I felt absolutely fantastic, I have tried many other medicines. This one seems to have the least side effects for me and makes me feel like a "normal" functioning human.

January 9, 2013 5:15 AM

Review by maggie.may:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this for 2 weeks and it has saved my life. I started to feel much better after only 4 days, racing thoughts were gone - the only side effect is nausea, and loss of appetite which is ok. I also take lithium (am weaning off after 10 yrs on) and Paxil 40 mg. I wish I had been on this years ago.

January 2, 2013 1:58 AM