User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 5 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 265 reviews 32 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 32 reviews 31 medications

7.4
Summary of Lamictal reviews 302 reviews 8.3

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the first medicine that has helped my 14 year old daughter. She has tried Prozac, zoloft, vyvanse, pristiq and some help from Wellbutrin. She has not been accurately diagnosed. Many different professionals have suggested dysthymia, anxiety, ADHD, borderline personality disorder, MDD and bipolar II. She has been hospitalized 3 times. The last time she got out of the hospital, I asked if we could try a mood stabilizer. Lamictal was the doctors first choice. We slowly titrated up to 200 (it took 3 months), but it was well worth the wait. No side affects. No more roller coaster rides. Most importantly, my daughter has an understanding of what can trigger her moods and has the clarity to learn more about herself."

Mom off the roller coaster February 17, 2014

141 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have Bipolar 2. I was diagnosed in 2009 but had suspicions long beforehand. So was put on Prozac, Abilify. While I notice Prozac helping, especially when I don't have any and I begin having withdrawal, I've found that Lamictal really does the job! It's very subtle, maybe because I'm on a very low dosage. Yet, I notice it. I'm more calmer. Not calm completely, just calMER."

Luetta January 23, 2014

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been taking 300mg of Lamotrigine each day for about 3 years. When I first took it, it made me feel sick and anxious and gave me headaches, but after following some simple advice from my psychiatrist I now DONT GET ANY SIDE EFFECTS AT ALL!! He told me to increase the dose slowly (25mg per week) and to always eat when I take the tablets. I've found this medication very effective as an antidepressant but not effective at controlling mania / hypomania. Despite this, I still rate it very highly because it is so much more bearable than any other psychiatric medication that I've taken in the past."

Heather.80 January 13, 2014

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Saved my life after trying various antidepressants with no results. Felt dizzy and nauseaus the first weeks, but noticed improvements in mood within days."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 5, 2014

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This is the best psych med option I've ever had. Over a six-year period, I had been prescribed a myriad of medicines for bipolar mania and depression, including: Abilify, Wellbutrin, Zyprexa, Celexa, Prozac, Lithium, Geodon, and Tegretol. Lamictal has been a Godsend. Lamictal has not been associated with weight gain nor diabetes (I have type 2, but was diagnosed prior to my prescription). All psych medicines have side effects, and finding the most benign one can be maddening, and even life-threatening, in my case. Give this one, at least a shot."

CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It seems to be helping, but still some depression remains. I have Bipolar Type 1, so I have struggled with mania, hypomania, mixed mood, and depression. I do notice I'm more "even," which is what the medicine intends to do. I take a combination of meds, so it could be difficult to tell which medicine is doing what. All I know is that I have no side effects, which is good, because I requested a mood stabilizer that will not make me gain weight. Overall, I'm satisfied with the way things are going (thank goodness, because Bipolar could be hell)."

leeenaa December 3, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "With Lamictal and Keppra my seizures are currently controlled."

jenifer nay December 2, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been working pretty good so far. My only complaint is lately depression is creeping up on me, but this could be just part of the "winter blues." On Lamictal, I am not emotionless; it just helps with the dramatic mood swings (I have Bipolar type 1). I was given Lamictal as an option due to the fact that I requested a medicine that will not make me gain weight. As I was told, I do notice Lamictal seems to be weight-neutral, which is a good thing. I haven't been on Lamictal more than a few months yet, but I am hoping it continues doing its job."

Anonymous December 1, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "I can judge this medication being successful due to fewer holes in my drywall and fewer injuries. I can't usually remember my seizures so I base them on others input and injuries from thrashing. I take 250mg, which seems to have cut down incidents to almost zero - major gratitude there."

WhiteRook (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "I've been taking Lamictal for 3 years now. I haven't had a grand mal seizure since then. I was having seizures in my sleep and still think I do every once in a while but none during the day. I am lucky that I do feel a seizure coming on. The only problem is I'm very unbalanced and it's easy for me to trip. I also feel like I'm in a fog sometimes and my cognitive abilities like thinking clearly, number and word recall and multitasking is very affected. "

genny1 November 26, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I started Lamictal about a year ago. Nothing else worked, the medicines made me tired and sometimes worse. My family noticed a huge change in my moods and I don't nearly get angry at all. This medication is awesome! I take 400mg a day now, but I was pretty bad! I thought I was better once and stopped taking it and oh boy my family was like get back on your meds! I will never stop taking this medication again! My son has bipolar as well, I am going to ask doctor to try him on it as well! Only side effect is dry mouth."

Maymay 77 Sue November 21, 2013

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "My experience has been terrible. I am 42 and an educated woman who works in a high capacity job and I can't function. I have been to the emergency room twice for disorientation and garbled writing/texts. I have had several falls or balance issues, one fall caused a concussion, now I walk with a cane on occasions. I constantly forget things, events, appointments and more. I finally had to go out on medical leave. I am in the process of discontinuing all psych meds as they are ruining my life!!!"

diver girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have taken lamotrigine for about 5 weeks. I tapered from nefazodone to lamotrigine over the course of 3 weeks. I am currently at 100 mg of lamotrigine. I was feeling better than I have ever felt in my entire life for about 2 weeks, now I am back to where I was before. No, I was not feeling manic during those 2 weeks but I felt that my anxiety had been greatly reduced and I had a true appreciation for life. I feel a bit cheated that I got to feel normal for once in my life and then poof it is gone. I kind of knew that it was too good to be true or to last. Oh well"

Pops2 November 12, 2013

diver girl (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have tried and failed every medication out there!! I just could not tolerate the side effects and weight gain. I came very close to suicide and I finally got on lamictal. What a difference!! I am finally not having the mania keeping me up for days and the severe depression of constantly writing suicide letters. I am also on klonopin. I had to go off my meds during my pregnancy and my husband said " I will never get you pregnant again!!!" That is how much better I am on the medication. My dose is 300 mg. split twice daily. I had gastric bypass as well and I am tolerating it the same as I was before. I have been on Lamictal for 8 years.I wanted to share my experience so that I might touch someones' life and make a difference!"

TONYA438 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 10, 2013

206 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "This is a very good medication IMO. When you titrate up to the dose intended, you will notice subtle differences. Many times I have thought that this had flattened me out but when I backed off the dose, symptoms came roaring back. No noticeable side effects for me. Helps stability very well, maybe the cause of some anxiety not much tho."

n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2013

"Day 3 no dramatic mood swings so far. My back hurts pretty bad but not intolerable we will see how this goes"

Raychl (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar after suffering a mental breakdown in college which left me institutionalized used for 2 weeks. Before my therapist prescribed me lamictal (100mg) and Klonopin (.05mg) I was a total mess. lamictal truly saved my life. It helps me act less irrationally and impulsively, hold a job for longer than 6mons, maintain healthy relationships with loved ones, I feel more focused and driven. I have had no negative side effects."

Shannon Leigh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2013

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Change my life dramatically within a week. I'm mixed-rapid-cycling. I rapid I mean within the same day. Worse, I feel like behing depress and maniac at the same time. Lamotrigine solve most of that. No real side-effet but vision, dry mouth. I feel that I taught is more clear and vivid than ever. Good feeling. I also have interesting dreams. I'm taking presently 250 mg/night. However now it's time to ajust again. Symptoms are coming back. Last word, add 300mg lithium, zopiclone 10mg and zyprexa 2.5"

Alain2013 October 25, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "IQ of 130 but troubled emotional status. Wide range of problems extending from Paranoia Anxiety Anger Delusion Bitterness Depression to Suicidial. Had 3 major Bipolar Attacks in 2008 2010 and 2012. Successful career hit the bottom in all these attacks. Lamictak is the greatest drug for me it most literally SAVED MY LIFE I am using around 125mg daily and I know how I am. Before using this drug I really never did !! If you have similar symptoms never hesitate. Give it a TRY for sure."

SmartBut (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 21, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "I developed kidney stones on 2 separate occasions in 3 months so I finally switched. Evidently a listed side effect is "propensity to develop kidney stones". I felt drowsy like I was in a fog."

34dfgh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "For bipolar and depression: although I believe its about 80% depression. I started with 100mg and eventually got to 200mg. Took about 2-3 solid months to have full effect, and had unbearable back pain the entire time, and could only take it in the morning. Sleep was impossible with night dose. Once it started working, I really did feel so much better. Back pain stopped. Still have daily spurts of 'I love everybody' mania but my lows sometimes last days, lately longer. Unfortunately, my depression symptoms have started coming back more frequently and when I tried adding a 200mg dose, I had mind blowing joint pain. The pain was indescribable. Has caused me to gain about 10-15 lbs in the past year. Also not the rash, but have weird spots on skin."

adriannem203 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have very extreme rapid cycling bi-polar disorder, it had become much worse in the last 6 months and I had become extremely irritable. I had just about all of the side effects that came with this medicine but I knew it was helping me. I truly needed the treatment and for my children would see this through. After a month or two all of the horrible side effects were gone. This medicine was a miracle for me, saved me, and my marriage. It allowed me to step back and realize the problem in my life was me and I needed to change and this medication brought me back to my old self. I was in denial of how sick I had become until I took this medication and became normal again."

Miracle Drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2013

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It helped but I stopped taking it because I'm trying to conceive."

mika10684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "I have been on Lamictal for 7 years and have not had any seizures. My seizures were caused by scar tissue from having a brain tumor removed. I started on Dilantin but the side effects were so bad I couldn't work so my neurologist started me on Lamictal. I didn't lose weight but I am frequently dizzy and definitely have cognitive and memory issues. I find I have to focus on tasks and don't multi-task effectively anymore. I wouldn't give this medicine up because it controls my seizures. I'm fortunate that my medical plan covers brand name but I have to pay more."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 31, 2013