User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 28 medications

7.8
Summary of Lamictal reviews 234 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by sasha007: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I love this medication. Slowly my emotions are getting stable! The first few weeks are rough because it hadn't taken effect. Wait it out and hopefully it will help you too!

August 1, 2012 12:41 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: It works great at first then you have to keep increasing the amount every two weeks. By about a week into each increase I feel like its not working and I feel mania coming on. I always know because I start biting my fingernail. I'm about two months into and really think I should find something stronger. Or combine it with something else. You are not supposed to drink alcohol but that is he only way I have found to even out it not being strong enough for me. I you are taking it, and it is working for you, that is great!

July 18, 2012 10:32 PM
Review by bmomma (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on many mood stabilizers over the yrs for bi-polar 1. I have stuck with Lamictal because it hasn't caused distressing side effects that are difficult to live with, such as tremors and restlessness.

July 2, 2012 6:17 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was on this medication since 2006. I had no side effects or problems. It worked well, we had to keep increasing my dosage on it though. I also combined it with Depakote, which apparently raises your Lamictal levels. Yes you can become toxic on this medication like Depakote. I had to get off the medication because I became toxic, I was taking 300mg a day and 1250mg of Depakote daily. My symptoms were drunk look, double vision, slurred speech, short term memory loss, I started bumping into walls, my eyes were glazed over. I just got stupid towards the end. I even went to the hospital telling them I was toxic, they did not believe me. It can happen, I guess I became intolerant of the medication.

June 28, 2012 6:27 AM
Review by JD Watts (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Well, I don't know what to say. If only I would have been taking lamotrigine when I was younger. I've been having moods swings and anger since I can remember, since the age of 11. I am 31 now and this is the only medicine that makes me feel the way I knew I should feel. I have no side effects. The worst thing of having bipolar 2 was dealing with my horrible anger problems and having people scared of me. I used to hold on to the fact that my son was the only reason I was alive but lamotrigine has given me a new lease on life. Lamotrigine makes me feel like I should have felt since I was younger!

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 25, 2012 7:39 PM
Review by Liz89 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine was horrible for me. Not only did it not help - it made my symptoms worse! The whole time I was on Lamictal, I was a raving lunatic and it brought my friends and family to their wit's end. I was dizzy all the time and never felt hungry. My hormones were all out of whack, causing my periods to be irregular and horrific. It also messed with my birth control and I wound up pregnant - a pregnancy that later failed due to further complications. I know this medicine works for some people but it's not a miracle for everyone. I was on it for about 4 or 5 months.

June 4, 2012 4:40 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: It seems to have leveled my moods somewhat, or at least reduced my agitation. It is also inexpensive (compared to say, Lexapro). I soon developed problems with my eyes in that they are itchy, red and swollen and I have decided to discontinue due to my fear of getting Steven-Johnson syndrome. It is meant to be a rare side effect, but seems to be more common than I thought. This medication has also increased my appetite, given me strange dreams, and headaches.

June 3, 2012 8:17 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I started the medicines and it worked okay. Then they started to up my dosage and I felt sluggish. Once I got to the amount I was supposed to be at, I was paranoid, distant and irritable. My period is 10 times worse. The cramps are unbearable. My face broke out and I look like the before picture of a proactive commercial. I have to pee frequently. I'm getting off these medicine as soon as possible. I've been taking them for 5 months now.

May 26, 2012 7:22 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder exactly one year ago. After about 4 weeks on Lamictal, I noticed a huge change. I could feel feelings again. The bubble of depression, rage and mania I lived in popped. I could communicate again, without getting frustrated with everyone. I am taking Lamictal with Wellbutrin and Abilify. No side-effects and my life - both professional and personal - has done a complete about-face. I am happy again. I remember how happy feels, and I'm there.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 19, 2012 8:32 PM
Review by dondih1969 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on it for years. My sons are also on it..if taken as the directions of your doctor its almost perfect. Our moods are stable and we almost feel normal.

May 9, 2012 5:40 PM
Review by jadoreprana: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication made me sleepy when I first started it or have to bump up my dosage for a few days, but the side effect goes away. I take mine at night before bed for bipolar, this has drastically improved my quality of life. Moods, organization (helped, I'm also ADHD) anxiety, and sleeping pattern. I've been on it for almost a year now and won't ever go back. The only bad thing is when I forget to take it for more then two doses, I go manic and don't sleep. So remember to take it!!

March 19, 2012 6:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal saved my life. Literally. Helped with suicidal thoughts and a feeling of going crazy beyond control. Later I added Cymbalta and Provigal as well. Able to have a more regular life now! Takes awhile to kick in since you have to build up the dose but stick it out- definitely worth the wait. (I've tried several others and Lamictal is by far the best).

March 9, 2012 7:16 PM
Review by Good Luck With It: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Varying levels of depression since early 20's. Anxiety also an issue. 2 bouts of major depression: one in late 40's and one in mid 50's. No hospitalizations. Now 63 yo. Taking 200mg for 2yrs, - minimal side effects, and very effective in mood regulation. Never had a manic episode, but had been fairly quick to anger and somewhat argumentative. I would have to say this medicine has helped a lot. Some changes in my life circumstances may also be helping (retired) -- but I have to give this medication an endorsement. Worry a bit about taking it long-term -- but so far, no side effects.

March 3, 2012 4:07 PM
Review by dbattcock: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I am 47 and I have suffered from depression as long as I can remember. I have been on so many medications for depression, I lost count. The best one for me has been Cipralex, but I would still experience major episodes several times a year. I was desperate this past January and ready to give up hope. Not give up as in harm myself but I just couldn't shake the blues for the entire month. I mentioned it to my doctor and she prescribed Lamotrigine (2x25mg) per day. I felt better immediately like the next day. Has anyone else experienced instant relief or is it just a fluke. I wonder if I was bipolar all along but wasn't able to articulate it for a proper diagnosis. I am one month depression free.

March 2, 2012 9:12 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal is an interesting medication. It worked very well for controlling moodswings, particularly the rage filled depressive mixed episodes but caused absolutely massive memory and congition problems about 8 months into treatment at 200mg a day. It was odd, the world just kind slipped into the present. I couldn't even do things like cook toast because I would forget what I was doing. I have since cut the dose to 25mg a day. It works far less well for the moodswings but doesn't mess up my mind much now. All in all, mixed results. I still take it. It beats the alternatives which were awful.

March 1, 2012 5:19 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal helps my mood swings but sometimes it makes me stutter or feel like crying. Other than that I am satisfied with the treatment for Bipolar 1 disorder.

February 26, 2012 5:11 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Lamictal really worked great at stabilizing my moods and eliminating my manic episodes. I stopped blowing things out of proportion, being paranoid, and having rage attacks. I have been taking this with Wellbutrin everyday. The side effects were brutal to begin with the first few months and I had to go backwards on my dose and increase it slowly. I am always lightheaded and dizzy. The first few months I would lose my balance and have to grab something to prevent falling on a daily basis. Now I'm used to it and can recognize when I need to stop and let my body adjust before I move, but stabilizing my moods has been a life saver.

February 24, 2012 4:37 PM
Review by cautiousgirl_87: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: For bipolar 1 Lamictal has worked wonders for me. I did have to watch my moods because with all mental health medicines it can make side effect better or worse and it did enduce me into a state of depression. Other than that I have been on it for 9 months and has been doing good so far.

February 7, 2012 3:11 PM
Review by shamika: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: It keeps me calm and relaxed most of the time.

January 31, 2012 3:12 PM
Review by sugar812711: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I love what Lamictal has done for me. It's a mood stabilizer that should be prescribed secondarily alongside with another medicine for bi-polar disorder. Mine is the anti-psychotic Geodon, which I slowly came off of over 6 months wanting to get pregnant, but unfortunately, I ended up in the hospital in a severe manic episode with following depression as usual even though I stayed on the Lamictal. I have taken Lamictal for 7 yrs and its wonderful to not have depressive episodes and mood swings. I take an awesome combination with the Geodon and I Highly recommend it to Bi-Polar 1 sufferers.

January 20, 2012 2:32 PM
Review by ttmillers: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication has been a life saver. It has changed my life around. I can't believe how happy I am!

January 12, 2012 6:50 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Makes me a speed freak, can't sit still constantly moving my hands or my face or something, like a panic attack without anxiety! It seems to have helped with anxiety though, but I still take Xanax for when I just literally cannot stop moving around, grinding my teeth or jerking my neck around. I have severe muscle spasms in the neck. I think it has helped me in some ways but not others, it made my already severe insomnia worse, so now I have sleeping pills (which still don't work sometimes). It has sort of improved my mood some people say I'm less erratic. I am not sure though. I'm giving it a 5 because the neck pain is bad, and the increased paranoia is bad and I don't really think it has helped with disassociation too much.

January 11, 2012 2:28 PM
Review by JTK: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was told that Lamictal might help me "find strength". Well, it did - a strength that was inside me all the time but was drowned out by fear. I have been on this pill for 10 months now and the horrible fear scenarios that have plagued me since an early age have all stopped. I am far more in charge of my life now. I only wish I could have had it before. First effects of pill were immediate, but it took some months to take full root.

December 31, 2011 8:09 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: Have been taking Lamictal for 4 years (400mg). I had severe mania for 3 years before that. Went through 13 different medicines. They all seemed to make things worse and became very destructive with not only my life but I also became dangerous to others. If it were not for Lamictal I would most surely be dead. I sometimes still go through the depression and have added antidepressants but too many side effects. I have insomnia so I also take Ambien CR and Xanax. It's not a healthy combination but it all works for the most part. I'm sad for those of you that had to stop taking Lamictal for some reason or another. It's a great thing not to be sick anymore.

December 30, 2011 1:58 AM
Review by SassyBrunette28: User Rating:

Lamictal (lamotrigine) for Bipolar Disorder: I felt a change in my moods from Lamictal almost immediately. I haven't felt that great in years, but I developed a rash in 1-2 weeks of taking it. It started as itchy hands and feet and then I itched everywhere. I did not have a severe or life threatening Stevens-Johnson Syndrome. I did drink alcohol on this medicine and it made me get drunk really fast and I would have very bad hangovers. I had to discontinue after 1 1/2 months because of the rash. Two of my friends take this and never had rashes and they also agree it is the best medicine they have taken for bipolar.

December 28, 2011 6:07 PM