User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 5 reviews 28 medications

8.8
Bipolar Disorder 252 reviews 46 medications

8.6
Seizure Prevention 30 reviews 34 medications

7.6
Summary of Lamictal reviews 287 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

For Bipolar Disorder "This is a very good medication IMO. When you titrate up to the dose intended, you will notice subtle differences. Many times I have thought that this had flattened me out but when I backed off the dose, symptoms came roaring back. No noticeable side effects for me. Helps stability very well, maybe the cause of some anxiety not much tho."

n810 (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 28, 2013

"Day 3 no dramatic mood swings so far. My back hurts pretty bad but not intolerable we will see how this goes"

Raychl (taken for less than 1 month) October 26, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed bipolar after suffering a mental breakdown in college which left me institutionalized used for 2 weeks. Before my therapist prescribed me lamictal (100mg) and Klonopin (.05mg) I was a total mess. lamictal truly saved my life. It helps me act less irrationally and impulsively, hold a job for longer than 6mons, maintain healthy relationships with loved ones, I feel more focused and driven. I have had no negative side effects."

Shannon Leigh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 26, 2013

121 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Change my life dramatically within a week. I'm mixed-rapid-cycling. I rapid I mean within the same day. Worse, I feel like behing depress and maniac at the same time. Lamotrigine solve most of that. No real side-effet but vision, dry mouth. I feel that I taught is more clear and vivid than ever. Good feeling. I also have interesting dreams. I'm taking presently 250 mg/night. However now it's time to ajust again. Symptoms are coming back. Last word, add 300mg lithium, zopiclone 10mg and zyprexa 2.5"

Alain2013 October 25, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "IQ of 130 but troubled emotional status. Wide range of problems extending from Paranoia Anxiety Anger Delusion Bitterness Depression to Suicidial. Had 3 major Bipolar Attacks in 2008 2010 and 2012. Successful career hit the bottom in all these attacks. Lamictak is the greatest drug for me it most literally SAVED MY LIFE I am using around 125mg daily and I know how I am. Before using this drug I really never did !! If you have similar symptoms never hesitate. Give it a TRY for sure."

SmartBut (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 21, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Seizure Prevention "I developed kidney stones on 2 separate occasions in 3 months so I finally switched. Evidently a listed side effect is "propensity to develop kidney stones". I felt drowsy like I was in a fog."

34dfgh (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 19, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "For bipolar and depression: although I believe its about 80% depression. I started with 100mg and eventually got to 200mg. Took about 2-3 solid months to have full effect, and had unbearable back pain the entire time, and could only take it in the morning. Sleep was impossible with night dose. Once it started working, I really did feel so much better. Back pain stopped. Still have daily spurts of 'I love everybody' mania but my lows sometimes last days, lately longer. Unfortunately, my depression symptoms have started coming back more frequently and when I tried adding a 200mg dose, I had mind blowing joint pain. The pain was indescribable. Has caused me to gain about 10-15 lbs in the past year. Also not the rash, but have weird spots on skin."

adriannem203 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have very extreme rapid cycling bi-polar disorder, it had become much worse in the last 6 months and I had become extremely irritable. I had just about all of the side effects that came with this medicine but I knew it was helping me. I truly needed the treatment and for my children would see this through. After a month or two all of the horrible side effects were gone. This medicine was a miracle for me, saved me, and my marriage. It allowed me to step back and realize the problem in my life was me and I needed to change and this medication brought me back to my old self. I was in denial of how sick I had become until I took this medication and became normal again."

Miracle Drug (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 16, 2013

129 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "It helped but I stopped taking it because I'm trying to conceive."

mika10684 (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 9, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "I have been on Lamictal for 7 years and have not had any seizures. My seizures were caused by scar tissue from having a brain tumor removed. I started on Dilantin but the side effects were so bad I couldn't work so my neurologist started me on Lamictal. I didn't lose weight but I am frequently dizzy and definitely have cognitive and memory issues. I find I have to focus on tasks and don't multi-task effectively anymore. I wouldn't give this medicine up because it controls my seizures. I'm fortunate that my medical plan covers brand name but I have to pay more."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 31, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Because of weight issues, my doctor decided Lamictal was the only way to go because it wasn't supposed to cause weight gain. While they just upped my dosage to a therapeutic amount, I can say my friends noticed a difference at lower dosages. It really does make a difference and I'm hoping at the current dosage, I completely even out. I also take Paxil (my depression was severe when I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder) and Xanax. I do choose to take the Lamictal in the evenings because it makes me very groggy."

ANewBeginning (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 26, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I am on the 3rd day on this medication. After just one pill, my mood became much better, but the downside is that it causes insomnia and when I fell a sleep finally, I have nightmares. The dry mouth bothers me the most, because it causes bad breath. Also, in the afternoon I get so tired, I have to sleep when I am not working and I sleep a lot, like 3-4 hours."

Barnika (taken for less than 1 month) August 19, 2013

For Seizure Prevention "It will be 10 years in October that I've been taking Lamictal. I've been seizure FREE that long as well. I take 200mg at night and 200mg in the morning. I too experience memory loss and concentration. I feel as though my eyes don't move normally. Since my dosage was upped I find myself in slow motion. I also notice that I have a form of dyslexia. example: putting on my windshield wipers instead of my blinkers. another example is: when I'm speaking I might say into my sentence what I'm looking at. Talk about makes me feel stupid! I must add that I also take Zonagram which was causing me other side effects like depression and suicidal. After doctors lowered the Zonagram dose, depression and suicidal thoughts were gone but I gained weight."

Rae Rae August 16, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Lamictal for approximately a month now for bipolar 1, slowly working up to what I am now at 100mg. I have noticed a dramatic drop in depression but hypo mania only slightly changed, I think it only feels like it has worsened because the depression isn't there to bring me back down, I still can't sleep at night, I still panic, feel the doom of anxiety, and racing thoughts among other things. I have had an incredibly increased libido, overall I can't believe how well its working in such a short time without the terrible side effects that other medications can give you. I'm a mom of 4, I have no time to be a zombie, confused, tired and slow, I look forward to seeing the next few months."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal has been the most all round effective medication I have take and that is saying a lot for a patient of 40 years. What I mean by that is my system rejected all antidepressants and antipsychotics because of a side effect called Akathesia. I sustained on lithium and Klonopin alone for a long time. Back then doctors were scared to death of Lamictal because of the rash that few to none got when properly prescribed. I couldn't find one to prescribe so I got it from my family doctor. That was the best day of my life. I titrated the lithium while slowly adding the Lamictal with no problems. I have been taking 450mg a day ever since. I also noticed how badly 30 years of lithium had hurt me. I no longer knew myself."

The Blues Is A Healer August 7, 2013

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I took lithium for bipolar for years. Lithium took the highs & lows out leaving me with no personality at all. My Doctor changed my medicine to Lamictal & I feel I'm back to whatever normal is."

GreenElbow (taken for 10 years or more) July 28, 2013

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I didn't expect this to work when I used it to prevent mania. 225mg of venlafaxine (Effexor) caused mania. After being on low-dose Abilify and Seroquel to sleep for a few weeks, I was not really manic anymore (maybe hypo-, or had some manic symptoms- like usual, e.g. destructibility). Then I started lamotrigine, now on 100mg/day. I increased venlafaxine back to 225mg expecting to go manic, but instead I feel clear-headed. Friends have noticed I don't lose my train of thought often, and that I "seem more stable". I have been diagnosed Bipolar I, but am "more like a II," which I agree with. I also have Social Anxiety Disorder (and used to have the most severe depression imaginable). The Bipolar might be caused by S.P. Seizures."

Lacey577 July 13, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Love this medication. I do not experience any side effects and do not feel like a zombie. I feel like a normal person, but can definitely tell this medicine works."

crews1713 (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 8, 2013

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I started taking Lamictal 3 years ago. I have class 2 bipolar disorder. Before the Lamictal I have always had doctors (since I was 16, I'm now 27) tell me I was depressed. But with the Zoloft and Prozac I would go into extreme manic states and clean my floors for 6 hours, spend all my money on crap, cry uncontrollably or even get violent. I was like that already just worse on those medicines. Finally seeing another doctor trying to find help he put my on Lamictal. Small dose at first and now I'm on 400mg/day. I have gained weight 15 pounds and have been on a diet for a year and see a personal trainer. Absolutely cannot lose weight. I still have all of my same bipolar symptoms but they are not uncontrollable now. I am on lithium 200mg/day"

Bipolar 2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 seven years ago in College. I refused treatment, and my relationship with my husband started to deteriorate. I started Lamictal a year ago and have totally returned to my old self. I am happy, calm, rational and I found the motivation to lose fifty pounds. The only down fall is I kind of miss the ability to process information at a very rapid rate, but I gladly trade it for a great relationship with my husband and child."

Amandajoh4251 May 15, 2013

126 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with bipolar II when I was 18 years old. I have been on Lamictal for a year and a half now. Within a month of starting this medication I saw amazing results. I have experienced no depression and no hypomania whatsoever. After having bipolar II really run my life in my teen years and cause me to temporarily lose sight of myself, I feel like I have reconnected with who I truly am since starting this medication. I feel more myself than I have in so many years. I still feel things deeply hence unlike some antidepressants which numb you, per my own experience, Lamictal does not. If you truly have bipolar II, this is a wonderful medication. Much Love to you all on this tumultuous journey; stay strong and never lose hope."

Lea123 May 8, 2013

202 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been on Prozac for 2 years for post traumatic stress disorder, in May 2012 I had gastric bypass surgery and recently went back to my doctor because I felt like I wasn't even on my Prozac anymore (I wasn't absorbing it after surgery) so he doubled the dose. After 3 days I felt way worse! So we dropped the Prozac back down and doubled my Topamax. The combination of Topamax and Prozac made me feel awful! I had uncontrollable crying, bad nausea, and was probably the most depressed I've ever been. I was diagnosed with a mild form of Bipolar, so we started on 50 mg of Lamictal for 3 days then we bumped to 100mgs. Its been 5 days, but I can honestly feel a difference! Haven't cried since, feel better mentally and I'm just happier."

Kiki30 (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Lamictal changed my life! It is what I use as an antidepressant for Bipolar II (300 mg in the morning) along with Seroquel ER 100 mg at night which keeps my anxiety in check. No side effects from either."

royal nepalese yak dog (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I've suffered with Bipolar II for roughly 7 years, after two suicide attempts, months of insomnia, and horrible manic events, I finally found a doctor who knew what he was talking about! In combination with Prozac, I have started my titration of Lamictal. I tried Zyprexa and gained 20 pounds in a month. With Lamictal, I've lost that and more. I hardly feel hungry. I have faith that once my dose is increased I won't have as many depressed days. So far so good!"

Raanin (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 19, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 16 and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder type II a month ago. I was put on Lamictal six days later. Around two weeks of the effective dosage, I started to see stability in both my depression and hypomania without any personality change or affective flattening. I did get canker sores however, but no signs of the SJS rash yet. This is overall a pretty effective medicine from my experience."

Paige T. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 10, 2013