User Reviews for Lamictal

Learn more about Lamictal.

Schizoaffective Disorder 4 reviews 29 medications

7.7
Summary of Lamictal reviews 260 reviews 8.5

Reviews for Lamictal

Review by christaJ:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal for the last 2 years, its amazing and life changing! Very little side effects, besides weight gain for a lack of words, losing weight seems to be impossible for me, and I workout 5 days a week, so for that reason, I'm looking to see what else is out there. If by chance you are reading this and looking for something to help, this is IT! Really!

April 1, 2013 12:19 PM

Review by Xyzzy:

For Bipolar Disorder: Great medication. Immediate results. Life changing for me.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2013 7:35 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was treated for years with Bipolar 2 disorder using various ant-depressants. They all made my moods cycle up and down. I'm now on Lamotrigine 300mg twice a day and feel better than I have in 20 years.I'm 66 now. I had to start slow and gradually work up to my present dosage. It was definitely effective for me to do it this way.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 18, 2013 1:46 PM

Review by EmilyFix:

For Bipolar Disorder: When I was 15, I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 disorder. The first ever medication for it that I was on, was Lamictal. Worked absolute wonders, until it started making me have my period every two weeks. So I stopped. I absolutely felt great on it, so it disappointed me that I had to get off of it. I have had a daughter since then, so I'm thinking my body has changed because of the pregnancy. I'm trying it again, and it actually started helping the next day! My psychosis is not under control because its only a mood stabilizer, but my thinking is a little clearer, and I'm in a better mood. Not quite there, but I can feel it working.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 11, 2013 12:20 PM

Review by Kimberly1331:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm a 30 year old female and I've had many different diagnosis as well. I've tried and failed with many antidepressants, antipsychotics, among others. Nothing ever worked or made me feel worse! Then I found Lamotrigine. I've been on 50MG a day for ten days now. After six days I was feeling great. But now I'm getting mood swings, itchy, slight headaches, and lots of crazy dreaming. I am still a little depressed and thought this is not going to work either. But thanks to all your good reviews I'm going to hang in there, wait until I find the right dose, and hopefully feel as good as all of you.

March 11, 2013 11:38 AM

Review by Nickname already in use:

For Bipolar Disorder: Depression ever since I can remember. Had 15 good years on Prozac, but it stopped working. Have been trying all kinds of antidepressants & in December I was put on Lamictal. Worked up to 100 mg, stayed on for awhile, not much happening - thought it was just another med that wasn't going to work. My doc said the "therapeutic" dose so am slowly titrating up to 200 mg - currently at 175/day. Just yesterday I think I started feeling the miracle of Lamictal kicking in! Yesterday and today I have felt better than I have felt in soooooo long - don't stop before the miracle happens (unless you have bad side effects, like the rash, which thankfully I do not have). I want to shout my gratefulness from the rooftops!!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2013 1:53 AM

Review by freednerd (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Found Lamictal to be wonderful, with *NO* side effects (can't say that about many medicines). Really worked for mood disorders. No withdrawal symptoms when I stopped it either. While I do not currently take this, if I am having a rough time with depression/mania this is what I request.

February 27, 2013 12:56 PM

Review by Minaosorio (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Lamictal for about a month and I can see the difference the only thing is that I am itching all over. I was wondering if that is normal with this medication. I have no rashes or red bumps, just I itch .

February 25, 2013 8:40 AM

Review by snoopytann (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Evens me out... Reduces the ups and downs.

February 24, 2013 5:20 AM

Review by Jen31:

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine and Geodon in combination saved my life. I have been functioning normally for three years now. Hardly any noticeable side effects if any and mild to no mood swings.

February 12, 2013 6:14 PM

Review by Wkumomma:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lamictal for about two months. Yes, I have some side effects dry mouth, double vision sometimes when I blink it goes away, joint and muscle pain and now I think acne. I take 300mg during the day. 200mg at night. I also take gabapentin for muscle aches and joint pain which really helps! I also take Klonopin when necessary I am prescribed for half twice a day and one at night but don't need it. I have a ton of energy and lost weight food no longer is my priority. I exercise daily and feel fantastic! I do have anger issues I have always has that. I am in therapy also. I think and feel like a different person so the side effects far outweigh going off medicine! Good luck.

February 4, 2013 5:21 PM

Review by Melissa T (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm a 33 year old female. I have been taking Lamictal for 5 years. I don't know what I would do without this medication. It allows me to lead a normal life. I have been bipolar my entire life although was diagnosed with just depression until I was hospitalized with my first manic episode at the age of 22. I take 200mg Lamictal ODT (orally dissolving tablet) morning and night. Lamictal ODT is expensive and tastes awful but the ODT works better than the regular pill form of Lamictal for me. I have no side effects I know of. I also do cognitive behavioral "talk therapy", practice Tai Chi, and do my best to get regular sleep.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 2, 2013 2:57 PM

Review by cs2 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've only been on Lamictal for 3 days, so I really can't give a full review, however: today is Sunday and I took my first pill Fri before bed. I woke up Sat morning and laid there for a good ten minutes thinking "Something is weird"I realized, my mind was calm. For as long as I can remember, I've constantly had running thoughts and was always thinking of multiple things at a time. I can now think straight thoughts, I'm able to think a good amount clearer and because of it my stress has been a lot lower. I'm taking 25mg for Bipolar Disorder 2 and will write a new review as things develop. I haven't seen any change in my moods, but I've only just started. I've had a few dull headaches but no other side effects so far.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 27, 2013 8:05 PM

Review by Ori (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: If my mania wasn't a thing to be reckoned with, I'd stop taking this. My hair has been thinning for the past year, and without Abilify in my combination of meds I'm a total zombie.

January 19, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by Eli Kaito:

For Bipolar Disorder: I had to stop taking lithium because it was damaging my kidneys and I got really sick, so I had to turn to Lamictal and expected it to not be as good. But it really is. The only downside is that since you have to slowly increase your dose to avoid the terrible rash, it might take a while for you to get to a level where it's helping as much as it can. But once you get up to the dose that's right for you, it's awesome and I haven't noticed any bad side effects.

January 19, 2013 6:20 PM

Review by Exhaustedmama:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Nothing noticed during loading, once I got to 150 mg I felt absolutely fantastic, I have tried many other medicines. This one seems to have the least side effects for me and makes me feel like a "normal" functioning human.

January 9, 2013 5:15 AM

Review by maggie.may:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this for 2 weeks and it has saved my life. I started to feel much better after only 4 days, racing thoughts were gone - the only side effect is nausea, and loss of appetite which is ok. I also take lithium (am weaning off after 10 yrs on) and Paxil 40 mg. I wish I had been on this years ago.

January 2, 2013 1:58 AM

Review by Fishmama (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: My experience with this medicine is positive especially since my recent dose increase. Before, getting up in the morning was hard.

December 30, 2012 3:09 PM

Review by scratchyournose (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: After experiencing severe depression since middle school, I had been misdiagnosed and prescribed several different antidepressants, which only made my then-undiagnosed Bipolar Disorder worse. Finally in 2007 I was correctly diagnosed with a mixed/manic episode, and began taking Lamictal. I have had zero side effects whatsoever, and it stabilized my mood swings immediately. I am now supposed to take 200mg twice a day, but after 5 years of the icky-tasting pill, I tend to skip doses every couple of days. Probably as a result, my depression has come back, but at least I haven't experienced the manic/mixed episodes that I used to have before Lamictal! I can truly say that this medication is a lifesaver, although it seems to have "worn off".

December 18, 2012 4:39 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lamictal for 2 years, 400mg a day and I can't say enough positive things about the medication. The only downside was the time it initially took to get to the dosage that my doctor and I found to be effective for me. I would say before I noticed it was working was over 2 months. Which I know seems like an eternity when you're desperate, feeling crazy & at times suicidal, which I was. I haven't had any side effects and I'm so thankful for Lamictal!

December 12, 2012 3:58 AM

Review by judykaye (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this one for 10 to 12 year this one work for me .

December 11, 2012 1:15 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I just started taking 25 mg a day a few days ago. So far I'm tired after taking it and very thirsty. I do feel good after the drowsiness wears off and am already starting to feel good. My jaw hurts a little and slight headache. I will post again in a few weeks.

November 13, 2012 12:32 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I am a female, 29 yrs old. I have been depressed since I was 14yrs, my mind races constantly and I have mood changes and a bad temper that turns in to severe anger (rage). My Psychiatrist prescribed me Lamictal and it really works. I have had no side effects and my mood is stable and controlled. I have been on it for 2 years and feel good.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 14, 2012 11:33 PM

Review by monmmelt38:

For Bipolar Disorder: After being unstable for years this medication has changed my life. I have been stable for two years now and wouldn't change for anything in the world. It has changed my life

October 8, 2012 9:05 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Vivid dreams, nightmares, night terrors, sleep paralysis, frequent awakenings during sleep, thought blocking, memory lapses, word retrieval problems, concentration. Sleep disorders eventually fade but they were certainly debilitating. After 200 mg my mother reported I had strange behavior a few times that I don't remember. Besides these side-effects it has a very noticeable effect on depression. I would risk all those adverse reactions for this pill. Saved my life.

August 26, 2012 12:56 AM