User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Cluster-Tic Syndrome 1 reviews 0 medications

Dystonia 2 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 187 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Carbamazepine

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have only had two doses so far 100mg/2x a day. Pharmacist said it could take 5-7 days to feel the full effects as it has to build up and that I could still take Motrin or Vicodin (neither of which really put a dent in the pain) until it starts to work. So far I've had probably 9 or 10 "episodes" of pain and instead of what I can only compare to contractions (I've had 3 natural childbirths), the pain is now about a 6/10 vice 10/10. I am so happy about this, I developed TN 6 months ago and thought like others it was in my teeth or gums; I now know it was due to a sinus surgery...the pain has gone from mild, one episode a day to intense, excruciating, balled up on the couch crying every hour bad. I hope this medicine works."

Chigirl000 (taken for less than 1 month) April 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I do feel that this medication works, regular blood work to check levels in the blood are crucial. I have been diagnosed with bipolar disorder for 16 years and have been on this medication since the year 2000. It worked better back then, I do have an appointment with a psychiatrist to go over the mediaction as I do not feel that it is working as good as it used to. Perhaps my body has become immune to it."

Mo1968 April 25, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've been on Tegretol for 4 days. It has taken me from excruciating pain to dull soreness. It's a wonder drug. I'm sleepy but almost pain free. I'm lucky that I was diagnosed after only six weeks. I'm praying it lasts!"

Monistar (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "First time when I took Tegretol, it worked immediately and the pain went away. The pain comes and go every year and the most importantly the pain was not bad last 4 years that I did not even take Tegretol. This time the pain is unbearable so I'm on Tegretol. Even with the medication still feel the shock once in awhile. Definately feels better with Tegretol. The side effects, for me, sleepiness, weight gain, excitement with no reason."

TN community April 23, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I also suffer from bipolar 1 disorder and chronic pain. The drug so far has made me eerily calm and it's almost like I'm high all the time. So far so good... It has calmed my mania down since I am rapid cycling. Also my short term memory hard been affected. I am a Veteran as well."

Gunz (taken for less than 1 month) April 21, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This drug killed my thyroid. You should also be screened heavily for certain blood illnesses before taking and monitor your liver and kidneys. A VERY poisonous drug."

Mrosa41 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 18, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been given tegretol to take for TN, then had decompression surgery. This relieved pain for 7yrs. A surgeon told me it need to saturate my system first and then begin script of 200mg x 3 per day. This means I needed to take 2 tablets together. This takes the pain away. I ensured I lay low for a few hours as this made me sleep. I am now on 400x3 times each day and all is good."

Shelby8 April 8, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Excruciating pain in ear since June .Been on tegretol since. From 600mg to 1200 Then surgery. Still having pain. Still on 900mg"

JJJOO April 7, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Dear God never experienced such pain like it (not even childbirth) - started with twitching to lower face 5 days ago and then bouts of explosive pain to left cheek, jaw, upper and lower teeth. Pain coming every half hour and lasting between 7-10mins each - cant do anything other than wait for it to pass (and cry at times)! Started carbamazepine yesterday am twice daily and pain lessened already but feel very sleepy and bit nauseous / "loose" - still feel the underlying pain there but so much better. Emergency dental appointment today with xrays - no dental cause. Have had tinnitus in left ear for past 8-9 months after heavy cold plus some cervical disc bulging and nerve root impingement at C7. Anyone else been given a cause for this??"

debbiecart April 7, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN (glad to learn about it and find out I'm not dying of a brain tumor or something) - the pain is horrific. I've been on the generic form of Tegretol (Carbamazepine) 100 mg 3x per day for 3 weeks. I still have episodes of pain a couple times a day, but at least I can walk around, talk and eat without the excruciating pain I had been experiencing. Only downside is I feel like a zombie - tired, and "out of it" - but like others have said - I'd take that any day over the near constant pain I was having."

Rainy049 April 6, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was depressed and in bed for 4 years until I was diagnosed with bi polar. I am now 2 months with Tegretol, out of bed and am enjoying life like never before. It has been a miracle for me."

sunny_surfer (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 30, 2016

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "To be honest I am not a fan of anticonvulsants. They have the craziest side effects and everytime I've taken them I instantly feel like I consumed alcohol. I've taken Lyrica, Gabapentin, and now Tegretol XR. I stopped this medication at my own disclosure because I was terrified once I read that this medication is known for "drug-induced liver failure". Not to mention it interacts with almost every other drug I take. That is not something I want to risk and am very upset that my doc didn't disclose this to me. He didn't even run a blood test to check my liver enzyme level prior to starting treatment so thats a whole other conversation but the point is I do not like this drug and would advise everyone to avoid it if you can."

Lcowan7 (taken for less than 1 month) March 25, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been using tegretol for 6 months , 200 mg a day two times. Before this I started with abylify and it did not help me. I feel much more normal than before and I don't feel like I am going up or down anymore. But I think one of the most important thing is also not using alcohol and sleeping 8 hours a day."

Ezgi (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 22, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "it helped with the mania , but i was always drowsy and could not concentrate , also i gained weight...."

saba44 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 14, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Hi, I'm hoping someone may have taken Tegritol and had a similar experience. Okay, so approx. 2 1/2 weeks ago I rushed to the dentist because I thought my lower K-9 tooth (I guess that's what you'd call it) on the right side was rotting. I was hurting extremely bad. Woke me up all through the night. They did X-Ray and said "your teeth are perfect". I had X-Ray done of my neck due to prior experience w/ rupture. I knew it had to be a disc slip or rupture in my neck and a nerve was very irritated & for some reason hurting what by now was all my teeth on the right side & random stabbing in right ear. I was diagnosed w/ this Trigeminal Neuralgia. 200mg Tegrital 3x a day. Been on 5 days...no relief. Is this typical. I need this med to work!!"

Loveinfinity8 (taken for less than 1 month) March 12, 2016

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "I had shingles 10 years ago in my mouth and it developed into Trigiminal Neuropathy on th eleft side of my head. ! year ago, I started with a terrible burning,electrical shok like feeling on my left foot. My toes burn terrible, My right foot feels as if it is wrapped in Plastic wrap all of the time up to my calf. My left foot feel s the same but with my toes burning. I have been taking Cymbalta,60 mgs per da(20 mgs 3 times a day) I have also been on Tegretol (800mgs per day) for 2 years. I finally had very little pain in my feet so I dropped from the 800 mgs a day of Tegretol to 600 mgs last Monday. I thought I was taking the Tegretol for my mouth burning constantly from the Trigiminal Neuralgia and Migraines and thought I'd give it a try to drop down to the 600 mgs to see if it made any difference. Since last MOnday, my right toes are burning constantly again, and I've had migraines caused from the Trigiminal Neuralgia. I am DEFINITELY CONVINCED Tegretol along with Cymbalta have been my saving grace from pain. The two, together are almost stopping my pain completely in my head AND MY FEET. It's amazing the difference and only since last MOnday. If you can take Tegretol AND Cymbalta together I suggest doing it. Both are great medicines."

Schmiliz February 29, 2016

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Up to 800mg seems to work about once every 2nd day still in excruciating pain and it seems the medical fraternity don't give a damn."

Carlau (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For Epilepsy: "As I have been on this medication for quite some time for my non-epileptic tonic clonic seizures, I have seen a general increase in quality of life with a couple caveats. One: I have short term memory problems as per one of the side effects, and two: I basically drink nothing but caffeinated drinks in order to prevent !myself from sleeping all day, like for instance, I slept 11 hours last night (I know) but I'm only 10 hours into my day and I've already passed out twice and am still tired."

gingerseizes (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 10, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Previously on generic with onset symptoms. Now on Name brand and still transitioning from Aptiom which was not effective in controlling symptoms. Hoping name brand works."

d works (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Sometimes i feel like a metallic flavor , I feel dizy and sleepy , but it's very helpful controlling my hypomaniac disorder Not too good controlling depression as well"

Luisabenjumea November 30, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "800 mg of tegretol and still in pain"

Lexy93 November 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN two weeks ago. Within first 24 hours of taking Tegretol, I felt amazing. No pain, clear head etc. A week and a half after starting the medication, I had a horrific TN episode for twenty hours. The pain was so bad it woke me from sleeping. I'm not sure whether to go back to Dr's for an increase or just put it down to allowing the meds to do its thing. Can only wait and see."

Jen24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "A pharmacy replace Carbamzapine with Epitol it did NOT control my seizures, I was fearful of going out for my seizures were not controlled. I got my Carbamzapine and back on it my seizures are controlled totally. It is an ineffective drug."

midroad September 23, 2015