User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

6.9
Dystonia 2 reviews 4 medications

Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 171 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Carbamazepine

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Up to 800mg seems to work about once every 2nd day still in excruciating pain and it seems the medical fraternity don't give a damn."

Carlau (taken for less than 1 month) January 31, 2016

For Epilepsy: "As I have been on this medication for quite some time for my non-epileptic tonic clonic seizures, I have seen a general increase in quality of life with a couple caveats. One: I have short term memory problems as per one of the side effects, and two: I basically drink nothing but caffeinated drinks in order to prevent !myself from sleeping all day, like for instance, I slept 11 hours last night (I know) but I'm only 10 hours into my day and I've already passed out twice and am still tired."

gingerseizes (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 10, 2016

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Previously on generic with onset symptoms. Now on Name brand and still transitioning from Aptiom which was not effective in controlling symptoms. Hoping name brand works."

d works (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Sometimes i feel like a metallic flavor , I feel dizy and sleepy , but it's very helpful controlling my hypomaniac disorder Not too good controlling depression as well"

Luisabenjumea November 30, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "800 mg of tegretol and still in pain"

Lexy93 November 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "On 400 mg making me very nauseous along with neck and shoulder pain"

Jay psych November 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Tegretol for 15 years and it definitely controls the hypomania and rapid cycling, though not the depression so well. It sort of leaves you feeling flat, but I had tried lithium, Depakote, and a few of the atypical antipsychotics and they were too heavy duty or left me with extreme weight gain. When I went on Tegretol I have 50 pounds of extra weight from Depakote....it came off within 4 months. I am not thin now, as I have gotten older, but I suppose it is still the drug for me. At this stage of the game I don't feel like trying other meds as I have to work and function. I also take a small dose of Lamictal too."

Flyinghow (taken for 10 years or more) October 23, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Diagnosed with TN two weeks ago. Within first 24 hours of taking Tegretol, I felt amazing. No pain, clear head etc. A week and a half after starting the medication, I had a horrific TN episode for twenty hours. The pain was so bad it woke me from sleeping. I'm not sure whether to go back to Dr's for an increase or just put it down to allowing the meds to do its thing. Can only wait and see."

Jen24 (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "A pharmacy replace Carbamzapine with Epitol it did NOT control my seizures, I was fearful of going out for my seizures were not controlled. I got my Carbamzapine and back on it my seizures are controlled totally. It is an ineffective drug."

midroad September 23, 2015

For Peripheral Neuropathy: "A neurologist prescribed carbamazepine for my wife to treat persistent pain in the area of her surgery (brain tumor). She was on this drug for two months and it did not have any affect on her pain. It did almost kill her so BE VERY CAREFUL if you take this drug and have side effects such as low energy, drop in blood pressure, dizzy spells, etc. This can be a dangerous drug - in our case it depleted sodium levels and my wife almost went into a coma. It is her third day in the hospital after having to call 911 when she collapsed - she is slowly recovering."

Anonymousnb September 7, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "It kinda helped me in addition to my abilify, but since I have type 2 bipolar disorder, I just felt sleepy and knocked out all the time. Not the best of times."

anaisu (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 5, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Tegretol for 8 days now, I'm very happy with the results so far. My mood and energy seems to have improved. I'm taking Tegretol 200mg twice a day along with Prosac and Ambien for my insomnia. The only side effect so far is a little bit lightheaded, but no biggie. I have begun a journal/to do list and I'm very happy when I cross off the items I have completed, in addition in my daily journal I'm drafting my daily feelings and my accomplishments. I would highly recommend this as this is helping me out tremendously. My memory is not as sharp and this HELPS big time."

Yankee Paul (taken for less than 1 month) September 3, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been on Tegretol for about 7 years which has been good with manageable attacks I between, it took 2 years before I was diagnosed in which time I had the fillings on the right side of my face replaced 3 times looking for the cause! I have now been in an attack for the last 3 an half weeks and at last have some relief , am now having double my dose 800mgs but still have a slight electric shock feeling and my top and bottom jaw ache slightly, I am getting a referral at a London hospital to check my teeth , just to make sure they are ok, but it is just like when I was first diagnosed. Wind or air con are worst for me. This is an awful illness, and do hope you to will get the help that you need,"

Gracie girl August 15, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I have only taken Epitol for 3 days and thus far my experience hasn't been totally negative. Yes there have been side effects, including, dizziness, confusion...etc. However I am told these things will subside over time. What I do know is I am no longer afraid to live, to leave my house in fear of having a seizure that leads to a deadly outcome. I am willing to fight, I won't stop living and I think Epitol can help me greatly in that way."

Ms. C.Hill (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2015

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Was effective for mood stabilization,took 400 mg 2x/day. Went off it because it caused water retention, elevated liver enzymes and mild neutropenia. Also carbamazepine interacts with lots of meds,making them ineffective (i.e. Seroquel) Depakote ER is better for me."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "As far as the depression goes, it works. But at the same time, I'm so sleepy all the time. I go from them making me sleepy to knocking me out. They have affected my mind, from making my memory worse to making me feel out of it."

aggravated (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started carbamazepine today but my sister is very upset with me about it. She said that I listen to whatever someone says. And I took the pill without thinking. But if my doctor prescribed it to me then shouldn't I take it? I was diagnosed bipolar manic depressed..I need advice please."

Celeste79 May 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug was pretty scary to use. I was warned that it could cause vision problems, feeling off-balance, hard to walk, etc. The symptoms got worse and worse quickly, not better. Very dangerous for me, couldn't see right, couldn't walk safely. Took around 2 hours the third and last time I took it to be able to see correctly. Very scary!"

Anonymousalso May 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "In my honest opinion I find this drug has worked in stabilizing my rapid cycling bipolar.This is the first time in years that I feel like I am well.I started this medication when I was an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital and it worked within the first month it made the manic episode less severe .I am on 800 at night along with 600 seroquel XR and 25 lamictal .The only symptoms I have is slight constipation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

For Cluster-Tic Syndrome: "Was prescribed to treat leg spasm due to back injury. Spasms are less severe but I am concerned about the side effects"

Suecorvette April 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed Bipolar I with OCD When i was 14. I am now 38 and a mother of 3. I have been taking Equatro/Tegratol XR (carbamazepine) for 3 years now. I also take it with a mild antidepressant. I think on its own, the carbamazepine worked ok, but I found myself still depressed. No more rage or bursts of anger, but zombie like. As soon as my doctor introduced the antidepressant into my regimen, I feel wonderful!!! I take 600 MG a day total of the carbamazepine XR. 1 tablet in the am and 2 before bed. My morbid thoughts have stopped, suicidal tendency went away almost completely. My moods are elevated and stable now. I am able to enjoy life now."

ssd12777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2015

For Epilepsy: "Been on Carbamazepine for 2 years now, worked up to 800mg a day. I take it with lamotrogine. Started experiencing seizures and was hospitalised and sedated because of them. I still have one a week so not controlled but gettin there with finding the right mix of meds! My side effects were tiredness and everytime I increased was major dizziness and sickness that lasted for hours after I took the pill."

Suzannem89 April 7, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes."

DennisF March 25, 2015

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "No help at all did not work"

Gloyra (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2015