User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Occipital Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 154 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Carbamazepine

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started carbamazepine today but my sister is very upset with me about it. She said that I listen to whatever someone says. And I took the pill without thinking. But if my doctor prescribed it to me then shouldn't I take it? I was diagnosed bipolar manic depressed..I need advice please."

Celeste79 May 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug was pretty scary to use. I was warned that it could cause vision problems, feeling off-balance, hard to walk, etc. The symptoms got worse and worse quickly, not better. Very dangerous for me, couldn't see right, couldn't walk safely. Took around 2 hours the third and last time I took it to be able to see correctly. Very scary!"

Anonymousalso May 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "In my honest opinion I find this drug has worked in stabilizing my rapid cycling bipolar.This is the first time in years that I feel like I am well.I started this medication when I was an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital and it worked within the first month it made the manic episode less severe .I am on 800 at night along with 600 seroquel XR and 25 lamictal .The only symptoms I have is slight constipation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

For Cluster-Tic Syndrome: "Was prescribed to treat leg spasm due to back injury. Spasms are less severe but I am concerned about the side effects"

Suecorvette April 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed Bipolar I with OCD When i was 14. I am now 38 and a mother of 3. I have been taking Equatro/Tegratol XR (carbamazepine) for 3 years now. I also take it with a mild antidepressant. I think on its own, the carbamazepine worked ok, but I found myself still depressed. No more rage or bursts of anger, but zombie like. As soon as my doctor introduced the antidepressant into my regimen, I feel wonderful!!! I take 600 MG a day total of the carbamazepine XR. 1 tablet in the am and 2 before bed. My morbid thoughts have stopped, suicidal tendency went away almost completely. My moods are elevated and stable now. I am able to enjoy life now."

ssd12777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2015

For Epilepsy: "Been on Carbamazepine for 2 years now, worked up to 800mg a day. I take it with lamotrogine. Started experiencing seizures and was hospitalised and sedated because of them. I still have one a week so not controlled but gettin there with finding the right mix of meds! My side effects were tiredness and everytime I increased was major dizziness and sickness that lasted for hours after I took the pill."

Suzannem89 April 7, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes."

DennisF March 25, 2015

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "No help at all did not work"

Gloyra (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've had Trigeminal Neuralgia for over 16 years and the only relief I've ever had was Carbamezapine. Until recently Walmart was trying to save me money giving me the equivalent, Epitol, which I was told I'd of the dance formulary. This can't be correct, because I can barely function due to being extremely sleepy with this drug. I had taken Carbamezapine for so long and it worked 11 on a scale of 1-10. Changing my medicine without my consent was not a cool thing to do and I earn others to make sure that they look into these things before taking different medicines. I'm not pleased with Epitol at all."

Latny March 20, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Worked for awhile okay. After 2 1/2 months I developed a reaction to it called "Stevens-Johnson Syndrome" which is a potentially deadly skin rash."

hlt00069 March 14, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something."

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "No good made me with no energy, zero libido, foggy thoughts, drowsiness, forgetfulness, made me more irritable and after a few weeks got the feeling I was going to snap and loose it. Got taken off this medicine and changed to Lamictal and things got a lot better. "

dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass."

Self Medicator (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Oh my. I was put on carbamazepine for possible epilepsy and it didn't seem to do anything - but the doctors said to just keep trying. However, it continued to worsen, making my focus dip considerably, and causing my hearing to change! (I'm a musician, I could tell - it dropped a semitone down.) Was very annoying."

applesauce7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Been on Tegretol 200mg twice a day for partial seizures. It's wonderful, it's really helped. I'm down from 10 seizures a day to 8. Have tried everything else hopefully getting there."

Cheryl green (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Worked great on the pain. But my AST levels went through the roof. I am now unable to take them. Awaiting MVD surgery that can't come soon enough. Please ensure your doctor gives you regular blood tests. Mine did not hence my liver problems."

az200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Before this, I'd been ineffectively diagnosed and treated for ADHD and recurrent depression. I've taken this medication for only four days following a bipolar II re-diagnosis, but despite this, I feel much better than I had on Prozac. My combination of irritability, depression, lack of motivation, and suicidal/homicidal ideation (in the form of intrusive mental images) has vanished, and I find it much easier to talk to people and look them in the eye again. I'm taking 200mg tablets twice a day and initially noticed mild dizziness, headache, and sleepiness, but these quickly vanished. The only persistent symptoms have been hardly perceptible ringing in the ears and lowering in the pitch at which I hear sounds, esp. familiar songs."

k4ffeinator November 23, 2014

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been on Epitol for a few days but so far so good. Starting on 300mg twice a day. I have clear thoughts, no wants to destroy people who do simple stupid things, no impulsive decisions, nerve pain is controlled and overall I just feel good. I'm also on Celexa, hoping this combination will do me justice."

Airborne82nd November 9, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was dying. I take this (200 mg) - 3 times a day with another medicine. I have been pain free for 7 months. I stay drowsy and stagger at times but I can deal with that as long as the medicines continue to help me."

PJDW October 15, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "No problems or side effects."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was previously diagnosed with major depression with severe anxiety attacks. I was taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication for 3 years. My mood would vary greatly throughout this time period. I was self medicate until one night I tried to drive myself off of a bridge with my car full of people. I realized at that point I needed help and nothing was working. I call my therapist he suggested that I go to the emergency room. I did. I ended up getting admitted for attempted suicide. After a week in the hospital it was apparent I was bipolar and in a episode. I suffer from manic and depressive episodes. They put me on Tegretol XR and I began to be able to actually sleep a whole night and think normally."

bipolarsufferer August 17, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Began taking Tegretol in 1986 along with Epilim, had the op in 1991 and have remained on Tegretol since. Somethings I have noticed over the years although I don't have any medical evidence to back this up only self observation are. Massive increase in body hair. Not on the head but over the rest of the body. Most of my nails split down the centre of the nail. As for controlling my epilepsy can not say they really did, prior to my operation, at first all was hokey dorey, then the body seemed to get used the medication and as a result the dose increased. Today 24 years after the operation I remain on 1200mg a day. Seizure free, thanks to the opp, although i do remain on the tablets."

Twistyfil August 13, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have spent 17 years with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. This medicine gave me 4 years pain free. It took a long time to work, seems like almost a year, but worked great for a time. Guess now it's on to something else."

Thebigempire (taken for 5 to 10 years) August 12, 2014

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "This medicine has changed my life. For years, before I was diagnosed... I had no clue what it was like to live with a clear head. I'm able to think and act more rationally. The way I've always wanted to and never could. This medicine solidifies for me that treatment CAN WORK. Changed my life. I'm a happy girl. (and not just when I try to be)."

Sam-Booo July 23, 2014

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: "My experience with Trigeminal Neuralgia is that it seems hugely influenced by emotional stress. Managing this, and bringing presence of mind remain for me the most effective ways to deal with this crippling pain. Nevertheless, the carbamazepine seems helpful so far, though the side effects only seem to add to the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis I've been diagnosed with for a dozen years."

haapbhanemango July 19, 2014