User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Occipital Neuralgia 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 159 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I have been on Tegretol for about 7 years which has been good with manageable attacks I between, it took 2 years before I was diagnosed in which time I had the fillings on the right side of my face replaced 3 times looking for the cause! I have now been in an attack for the last 3 an half weeks and at last have some relief , am now having double my dose 800mgs but still have a slight electric shock feeling and my top and bottom jaw ache slightly, I am getting a referral at a London hospital to check my teeth , just to make sure they are ok, but it is just like when I was first diagnosed. Wind or air con are worst for me. This is an awful illness, and do hope you to will get the help that you need,"

Gracie girl August 15, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I currently take 300 mg of carbamazepine a day. 100mg in morning and 200mg at night. Which is hard for me to remember the different doses because this medication causes me to forget everything. I also had really bad nausea and hot flashes when I first started taking it. I quit smoking cigarettes and drinking alcohol on this drug. Super amazing accomplishments, but on the other hand I have lost three jobs in six months. Before tegretol I was taking 300mg of seroquel XR a day and it made me a completely unemotional zombie. So It's hard for me to control myself sometimes because I'm feeling all these things I haven't felt before . I hope tegretol can work for me though and be my miracle drug, because changing meds is my living nightmare."

Fightthepower August 2, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I have only taken Epitol for 3 days and thus far my experience hasn't been totally negative. Yes there have been side effects, including, dizziness, confusion...etc. However I am told these things will subside over time. What I do know is I am no longer afraid to live, to leave my house in fear of having a seizure that leads to a deadly outcome. I am willing to fight, I won't stop living and I think Epitol can help me greatly in that way."

Ms. C.Hill (taken for less than 1 month) July 23, 2015

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Was effective for mood stabilization,took 400 mg 2x/day. Went off it because it caused water retention, elevated liver enzymes and mild neutropenia. Also carbamazepine interacts with lots of meds,making them ineffective (i.e. Seroquel) Depakote ER is better for me."

be2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "As far as the depression goes, it works. But at the same time, I'm so sleepy all the time. I go from them making me sleepy to knocking me out. They have affected my mind, from making my memory worse to making me feel out of it."

aggravated (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I just started carbamazepine today but my sister is very upset with me about it. She said that I listen to whatever someone says. And I took the pill without thinking. But if my doctor prescribed it to me then shouldn't I take it? I was diagnosed bipolar manic depressed..I need advice please."

Celeste79 May 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug was pretty scary to use. I was warned that it could cause vision problems, feeling off-balance, hard to walk, etc. The symptoms got worse and worse quickly, not better. Very dangerous for me, couldn't see right, couldn't walk safely. Took around 2 hours the third and last time I took it to be able to see correctly. Very scary!"

Anonymousalso May 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "In my honest opinion I find this drug has worked in stabilizing my rapid cycling bipolar.This is the first time in years that I feel like I am well.I started this medication when I was an inpatient in a psychiatric hospital and it worked within the first month it made the manic episode less severe .I am on 800 at night along with 600 seroquel XR and 25 lamictal .The only symptoms I have is slight constipation"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2015

For Cluster-Tic Syndrome: "Was prescribed to treat leg spasm due to back injury. Spasms are less severe but I am concerned about the side effects"

Suecorvette April 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed Bipolar I with OCD When i was 14. I am now 38 and a mother of 3. I have been taking Equatro/Tegratol XR (carbamazepine) for 3 years now. I also take it with a mild antidepressant. I think on its own, the carbamazepine worked ok, but I found myself still depressed. No more rage or bursts of anger, but zombie like. As soon as my doctor introduced the antidepressant into my regimen, I feel wonderful!!! I take 600 MG a day total of the carbamazepine XR. 1 tablet in the am and 2 before bed. My morbid thoughts have stopped, suicidal tendency went away almost completely. My moods are elevated and stable now. I am able to enjoy life now."

ssd12777 (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 20, 2015

For Epilepsy: "Been on Carbamazepine for 2 years now, worked up to 800mg a day. I take it with lamotrogine. Started experiencing seizures and was hospitalised and sedated because of them. I still have one a week so not controlled but gettin there with finding the right mix of meds! My side effects were tiredness and everytime I increased was major dizziness and sickness that lasted for hours after I took the pill."

Suzannem89 April 7, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes."

DennisF March 25, 2015

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "No help at all did not work"

Gloyra (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 21, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "I've had Trigeminal Neuralgia for over 16 years and the only relief I've ever had was Carbamezapine. Until recently Walmart was trying to save me money giving me the equivalent, Epitol, which I was told I'd of the dance formulary. This can't be correct, because I can barely function due to being extremely sleepy with this drug. I had taken Carbamezapine for so long and it worked 11 on a scale of 1-10. Changing my medicine without my consent was not a cool thing to do and I earn others to make sure that they look into these things before taking different medicines. I'm not pleased with Epitol at all."

Latny March 20, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Worked for awhile okay. After 2 1/2 months I developed a reaction to it called "Stevens-Johnson Syndrome" which is a potentially deadly skin rash."

hlt00069 March 14, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I tried Lithium, Depakote, and Lamotrigine. I had horrible side effects with all three. But Carbamazepine is a miracle drug, as far as I'm concerned. It started working within just a few days and I only had to take 300 mg a day, in 100mg doses. My doctor and I found I had to have 400 mg a day if I took it twice a day, but spread out in 3 doses 300 mg worked. I always prefer to take the minimum useful dose of drugs if possible. Side effects: 1) teeth, especially at the gums, seem to be in worse shape on it, 2) I have to drink quite a lot of water, or I start to lose some cognitive function, 3) at a higher dose, I seemed to develop empathy deficits as if I had Asperger's or something."

OrcaTotem March 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "No good made me with no energy, zero libido, foggy thoughts, drowsiness, forgetfulness, made me more irritable and after a few weeks got the feeling I was going to snap and loose it. Got taken off this medicine and changed to Lamictal and things got a lot better. "

dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Well im very impressed and happy others have Tegretol works, i am adhd and bipolar yup try that on for size its insane. I use to be an extremist of note but tegretol has controlled this and what i like most its not like the other medications it does not put you on just another high or a buzz, you don't realize what it does but the people around you do. It slows you down to a more controlled state and keeps the depression down. For me combine tegretol with healthy eating no dow etc rice starch, lots of water and gym and youll be sorted no doubt.But always remember like any normal being there are ups and downs and if you realize life is not always peaches and cream, and that you will experience down time, accept and just let it pass."

Self Medicator (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 9, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Oh my. I was put on carbamazepine for possible epilepsy and it didn't seem to do anything - but the doctors said to just keep trying. However, it continued to worsen, making my focus dip considerably, and causing my hearing to change! (I'm a musician, I could tell - it dropped a semitone down.) Was very annoying."

applesauce7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 6, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: "Been on Tegretol 200mg twice a day for partial seizures. It's wonderful, it's really helped. I'm down from 10 seizures a day to 8. Have tried everything else hopefully getting there."

Cheryl green (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 5, 2015

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "Worked great on the pain. But my AST levels went through the roof. I am now unable to take them. Awaiting MVD surgery that can't come soon enough. Please ensure your doctor gives you regular blood tests. Mine did not hence my liver problems."

az200 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2015

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "Before this, I'd been ineffectively diagnosed and treated for ADHD and recurrent depression. I've taken this medication for only four days following a bipolar II re-diagnosis, but despite this, I feel much better than I had on Prozac. My combination of irritability, depression, lack of motivation, and suicidal/homicidal ideation (in the form of intrusive mental images) has vanished, and I find it much easier to talk to people and look them in the eye again. I'm taking 200mg tablets twice a day and initially noticed mild dizziness, headache, and sleepiness, but these quickly vanished. The only persistent symptoms have been hardly perceptible ringing in the ears and lowering in the pitch at which I hear sounds, esp. familiar songs."

k4ffeinator November 23, 2014

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have only been on Epitol for a few days but so far so good. Starting on 300mg twice a day. I have clear thoughts, no wants to destroy people who do simple stupid things, no impulsive decisions, nerve pain is controlled and overall I just feel good. I'm also on Celexa, hoping this combination will do me justice."

Airborne82nd November 9, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: "When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was dying. I take this (200 mg) - 3 times a day with another medicine. I have been pain free for 7 months. I stay drowsy and stagger at times but I can deal with that as long as the medicines continue to help me."

PJDW October 15, 2014

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: "No problems or side effects."

SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 18, 2014