User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 123 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Review by Nampajim: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: This is the only medcine I am allergic to. Extreme itching! I couldn't stop taking it too fast. Luckily, it doesn't have a very long half life.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 1:03 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: It sent my seizures through the roof.

March 20, 2014 8:43 AM
Review by ert13 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is only medicine that works for me.

March 12, 2014 12:28 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.

March 7, 2014 2:03 PM
Review by Crazilysweet: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 1, 2014 10:28 AM
Review by stephc9902:

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was put on this medicine as a treatment for bipolar disorder. This is like a miracle for me. It has helped my mood stay stable and has helped my attention span as well. And its very affordable.I would recommend this to anyone for treatment of bipolar disorder. It has saved my life.

February 28, 2014 8:47 AM
Review by ccv2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

carbamazepine for Bipolar Disorder: Only mood stabilizer that has worked for me, I take 800 mg.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 27, 2014 3:04 PM
Review by Bipolar?: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.

January 26, 2014 10:15 AM
Review by missbones (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been on Tegretol XR for about 3 weeks now for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I take 100 mg 2x a day. It took like two days for it to work. I only start to have pain from the attacks when I'm due for my next dose. And it's not nearly as bad. The only problem is that I'm already on pregabalin for fibromyalgia, so the Tegretol added makes me totally out of it. I can't remember things, I'm double drowsy all day, I zone out, and I don't like that it has negative interactions with about 500 medications including Tylenol, which I usually take for breakthrough pain because ibuprofen doesn't work on me. So overall, it helps but I really hope I don't have to take this for a long period of time.

January 12, 2014 2:44 AM
Review by Wolfie Kins: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.

December 19, 2013 6:12 PM
Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

carbamazepine for Bipolar Disorder: For effectiveness in my case, this medicine gets a 1. For keeping me manic the entire time it was prescribed, it gets a 10. My bipolar mania even seemed to be triggered and brought on originally from this. A huge and long episode ensued about 2 weeks into its initial use. For the most part, the mania was of the more pleasant and euphoric type, rather than the agitated and awful one. It did do one thing. It made me absolutely certain that I had bipolar disorder, without a single doubt. It worked effectively on my late mother, but just kept me artificially happy. Like any psych med, it's hit or miss and, essentially, I struck out.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 12, 2013 7:57 AM
Review by Cairo John. (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

carbamazepine for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Been taking for 10 years. Just had a bad 3 months and it took 1600mg for 3 weeks to control it. Now back to 1200mg and am reducing 100mg every 2 weeks. I was down to 600mg prior to this. A very heavy cold set it off this time. For some strange reason, 1 x400mg tablet is far more effective than 4x100mg tablets. I am in UK so no insurance and little cost.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 1, 2013 5:53 AM
Review by Beargo (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

carbamazepine for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have had trigeminal neuralgia for 8 years.I have been taking carbamazepine on and off for this time.This medicine has been very good for me,as it takes 99% of the pain away,with 800 mg per day.My side effect is tiredness,but I guess that is the price I have to pay for no pain.My TN used to stop after the season changes,but now it hasn't stopped,so it's carbamazepine everyday.

November 5, 2013 6:00 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: This medicine has given nothing but trouble. Headache, Feeling sick and worse of all I now have a very itchy rash all over my body which is driving me round the bend.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 19, 2013 5:14 AM
Review by xert (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I'm 51, been having seizures since I was 12. Carbatrol and Depakote are what I'm taking now for about 20 years. These are the only medications that seem to work for me, I've been considered controlled, I drive, the best thing that happen to me. Only thing they are just so expensive.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 18, 2013 10:31 AM
Review by mommy429 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Equetro (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have taken a lot of medicines and hated all of them or they didn't work for me. This one actually works but my sex drive, well I have none now and that in turn makes me depressed so I think my doctors going to have to try something else.

August 25, 2013 7:55 AM
Review by rowdytexan (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I was put on this medication over 11 years ago. I had to be boosted up to 1200mg daily to get the blood serum level in the right area. It had to be combined with Keppra to finally help me obtain control of my epilepsy. It has been very effective the past 11 years, and I have had no side effects with it.

August 13, 2013 6:43 PM
Review by Kim-ds: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: There is nothing more scarier than that first few seconds when your seizure starts and nobody is around. Tegretol has saved my life! I am so thankful my doc put me on these tablets 200mg three times a day and I'm happily seizure free.

June 20, 2013 3:53 PM
Review by ANGELSFLYWITHME: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Stoped the pain of trigeminal neuralgia. Side effects like unsteadyness, fingers twitching, sore joints, seeing aura's, reading difficulties, speaking difficulties.

June 12, 2013 5:58 PM
Review by bobbierkb: User Rating:

carbamazepine for Bipolar Disorder: Only medicine that works for me. No side effects yet.

June 12, 2013 2:03 PM
Review by Lindy1628 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been put on this medication for pain. After 6 mouth operations - I was left with terrible upper gum and palate pain. I have only been on it for 5 days - it is not working. The pain is severe and constant. I am praying - as I take it longer - it will take the pain away.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 24, 2013 7:42 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Tegretol is very effective for my mood swings and hallucinations. It helps slow the racing thoughts and hyperactivity and thinking people are out to get me and helps with hearing voices. When I do not take it, everyone can notice a huge difference in how I act.

April 21, 2013 5:04 PM
Review by Carbatrol Free (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I have had epilepsy for 14 years now and during the first 9 years I took Carbatrol. At first it was great seizure free then the side effects kicked in. I was depressed and had anxiety, my emotional state changed. I felt nausea, dizzy, and sometimes uncomfortable in my body. I switched to Keppra and I'm happy. I'm normal moods and so far no side effects in Keppra.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2013 8:48 PM
Review by Connie 1963: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I was initially put on Tegretol only to have it stop working after about 3 weeks. Dr. added Neurontin and eventually had surgery to remove the blood vessel and wrap the nerve. Best of luck to anyone with this terrible condition.

March 27, 2013 1:05 AM
Review by Katie2umnc: User Rating:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: This is the only medication that has helped me! It's great!

March 15, 2013 12:34 AM