User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 28 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 135 reviews 7.5

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: No problems or side effects.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 18, 2014 7:25 PM

Review by bipolarsufferer:

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was previously diagnosed with major depression with severe anxiety attacks. I was taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication for 3 years. My mood would vary greatly throughout this time period. I was self medicate until one night I tried to drive myself off of a bridge with my car full of people. I realized at that point I needed help and nothing was working. I call my therapist he suggested that I go to the emergency room. I did. I ended up getting admitted for attempted suicide. After a week in the hospital it was apparent I was bipolar and in a episode. I suffer from manic and depressive episodes. They put me on Tegretol XR and I began to be able to actually sleep a whole night and think normally.

August 17, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Twistyfil:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: Began taking Tegretol in 1986 along with Epilim, had the op in 1991 and have remained on Tegretol since. Somethings I have noticed over the years although I don't have any medical evidence to back this up only self observation are. Massive increase in body hair. Not on the head but over the rest of the body. Most of my nails split down the centre of the nail. As for controlling my epilepsy can not say they really did, prior to my operation, at first all was hokey dorey, then the body seemed to get used the medication and as a result the dose increased. Today 24 years after the operation I remain on 1200mg a day. Seizure free, thanks to the opp, although i do remain on the tablets.

August 13, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Thebigempire (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have spent 17 years with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. This medicine gave me 4 years pain free. It took a long time to work, seems like almost a year, but worked great for a time. Guess now it's on to something else.

August 12, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Sam-Booo:

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has changed my life. For years, before I was diagnosed... I had no clue what it was like to live with a clear head. I'm able to think and act more rationally. The way I've always wanted to and never could. This medicine solidifies for me that treatment CAN WORK. Changed my life. I'm a happy girl. (and not just when I try to be).

July 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by haapbhanemango:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: My experience with Trigeminal Neuralgia is that it seems hugely influenced by emotional stress. Managing this, and bringing presence of mind remain for me the most effective ways to deal with this crippling pain. Nevertheless, the carbamazepine seems helpful so far, though the side effects only seem to add to the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis I've been diagnosed with for a dozen years.

July 19, 2014 4:55 PM

Review by Kellie Martin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: So far Tegretol has helped my nerve pain in my feet significantly. No side effects.

July 13, 2014 5:28 PM

Review by beachhut:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I have been on Tegretol 31 years as well as Lamictal, excellent until I turned 52. Then had some partial seizures..... so my neurologist upped it from 400 to 800 Tegretol and upped Lamictal as well. Getting control slowly. Been 5 months....now..improvement is happening but slow...confident..depends on what meds suit your body. Keep positive.

June 24, 2014 6:43 AM

Review by All of me:

For Bipolar Disorder: Diagnosed and medicated for 17 years. Tegretol/Equetro/Carbamazepine keeps me from wanting to (and sometimes actually) smacking or choking someone. I'm on several things, but I know it's the tegretol because that feeling has come back a couple times over the years and we just increase my dosage and I'm back to normal.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me.

June 4, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Kate2014 (taken for 10 years or more):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I have been on this medicine for 27 years. Except for extreme tiredness, I seem okay. Have not had a fit when on this medicine. One week I came off the medicine, between suicidal thoughts, crying jags and depression, I had massive fits. I have not been off since. This medicine seems to affect the liver, so liver tests are a must.

May 20, 2014 3:33 AM

Review by rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression.

May 18, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Nampajim:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: This is the only medcine I am allergic to. Extreme itching! I couldn't stop taking it too fast. Luckily, it doesn't have a very long half life.

April 6, 2014 1:03 AM

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: It sent my seizures through the roof.

March 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by ert13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is only medicine that works for me.

March 12, 2014 12:28 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I only took this 1 1/2 days because I had a severe bad reaction physically, but the second evening I was on it I felt so calm, peaceful, and happy, that I didn't even want to fall asleep knowing it would be gone in the morning. I would've given it a 10 if not the physical reaction. I really recommend trying this mood stabilizer for anyone with bipolar and it works in just a couple of days. I was just an unlucky one, again.

March 7, 2014 2:03 PM

Review by Crazilysweet:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Tegretol for a couple of years and it really helps with my bipolar. I can notice a big difference compared to if I'm not taking it. I just don't like how it makes my head and tongue feel numb, but it's a small price to pay.

March 1, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by stephc9902:

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was put on this medicine as a treatment for bipolar disorder. This is like a miracle for me. It has helped my mood stay stable and has helped my attention span as well. And its very affordable.I would recommend this to anyone for treatment of bipolar disorder. It has saved my life.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 8:47 AM

Review by ccv2 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Only mood stabilizer that has worked for me, I take 800 mg.

February 27, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Bipolar?:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Thought I would share my experiences on "Tegretol" too. I have been on Tegretol for 3 days now and can tell a HUUUGE difference! I have not been given the "full blown" Bipolar diagnose yet, I think this will need some more in depth conversations with my psychiatrist. Well yes I was given Tegretol as a mood stabilizer on Wednesday. I took the first 100mg before I went to sleep. The next morning I didn't really feel any different, it was maybe in the evening or the afternoon that I noticed an improvement. I was a lot calmer, my thoughts were gathered, this has been the case until this day. I will ask my psychiatrist to up the dosage of Tegretol but it's early days yet. All in all I love this medication.

January 26, 2014 10:15 AM

Review by missbones (taken for less than 1 month):

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have been on Tegretol XR for about 3 weeks now for Trigeminal Neuralgia. I take 100 mg 2x a day. It took like two days for it to work. I only start to have pain from the attacks when I'm due for my next dose. And it's not nearly as bad. The only problem is that I'm already on pregabalin for fibromyalgia, so the Tegretol added makes me totally out of it. I can't remember things, I'm double drowsy all day, I zone out, and I don't like that it has negative interactions with about 500 medications including Tylenol, which I usually take for breakthrough pain because ibuprofen doesn't work on me. So overall, it helps but I really hope I don't have to take this for a long period of time.

January 12, 2014 2:44 AM

Review by Wolfie Kins:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this medicine since late September of this year (2013). I was on Abilify since I was 7 years old. I am now 21. I have gone from being a stick figure to a 254 pound blowfish and I'm 5.9". Since being on Tegretol. I have lost over 20 pounds and am eating less and am more on average scale of what a human being should be consuming on a daily basis. I love this medicine. It helps me think clearly meaning I am much more calm and stabilized with my bi-polar. The ONLY complaint I have is I am constantly having heat-flashes. I am male by the way. I have asked many different psychiatrists, pharmacy, and my PCP about it. None have ever found that to be part of the side effects. I rather deal with this then major weight gain from Abilify.

December 19, 2013 6:12 PM

Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: For effectiveness in my case, this medicine gets a 1. For keeping me manic the entire time it was prescribed, it gets a 10. My bipolar mania even seemed to be triggered and brought on originally from this. A huge and long episode ensued about 2 weeks into its initial use. For the most part, the mania was of the more pleasant and euphoric type, rather than the agitated and awful one. It did do one thing. It made me absolutely certain that I had bipolar disorder, without a single doubt. It worked effectively on my late mother, but just kept me artificially happy. Like any psych med, it's hit or miss and, essentially, I struck out.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2013 7:57 AM

Review by Cairo John. (taken for 10 years or more):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: Been taking for 10 years. Just had a bad 3 months and it took 1600mg for 3 weeks to control it. Now back to 1200mg and am reducing 100mg every 2 weeks. I was down to 600mg prior to this. A very heavy cold set it off this time. For some strange reason, 1 x400mg tablet is far more effective than 4x100mg tablets. I am in UK so no insurance and little cost.

December 1, 2013 5:53 AM

Review by Beargo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have had trigeminal neuralgia for 8 years.I have been taking carbamazepine on and off for this time.This medicine has been very good for me,as it takes 99% of the pain away,with 800 mg per day.My side effect is tiredness,but I guess that is the price I have to pay for no pain.My TN used to stop after the season changes,but now it hasn't stopped,so it's carbamazepine everyday.

November 5, 2013 6:00 AM