User Reviews for Carbamazepine

Also known as: Carbatrol, Epitol, Equetro, Tegretol, Tegretol XR

Learn more about Carbamazepine.

Schizoaffective Disorder 1 reviews 29 medications

Vulvodynia 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Carbamazepine reviews 145 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Carbamazepine

Review by DennisF:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I had 1 seizure, 2 weeks after our son was born... So they put me on 200mg twice a day. I took it, maybe not religiously, but atleast 1 pill a day. Well I missed a full day, and had a seizure in my sleep again. I can't help but think it works well, if the first time I miss a full day I have 1. Mad at myself? Yes. Glad I have Tegretol? Yes.

March 25, 2015 10:22 AM

Review by Gloyra (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Carbatrol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: No help at all did not work

March 21, 2015 8:16 PM

Review by hlt00069:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Worked for awhile okay. After 2 1/2 months I developed a reaction to it called "Stevens-Johnson Syndrome" which is a potentially deadly skin rash.

March 14, 2015 2:57 AM

Review by dmmw1983 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: No good made me with no energy, zero libido, foggy thoughts, drowsiness, forgetfulness, made me more irritable and after a few weeks got the feeling I was going to snap and loose it. Got taken off this medicine and changed to Lamictal and things got a lot better.

February 15, 2015 9:58 AM

Review by applesauce7 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: Oh my. I was put on carbamazepine for possible epilepsy and it didn't seem to do anything - but the doctors said to just keep trying. However, it continued to worsen, making my focus dip considerably, and causing my hearing to change! (I'm a musician, I could tell - it dropped a semitone down.) Was very annoying.

February 6, 2015 8:28 AM

Review by Cheryl green (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: Been on Tegretol 200mg twice a day for partial seizures. It's wonderful, it's really helped. I'm down from 10 seizures a day to 8. Have tried everything else hopefully getting there.

February 5, 2015 10:00 AM

Review by az200 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Worked great on the pain. But my AST levels went through the roof. I am now unable to take them. Awaiting MVD surgery that can't come soon enough. Please ensure your doctor gives you regular blood tests. Mine did not hence my liver problems.

February 3, 2015 5:43 AM

Review by k4ffeinator:

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Before this, I'd been ineffectively diagnosed and treated for ADHD and recurrent depression. I've taken this medication for only four days following a bipolar II re-diagnosis, but despite this, I feel much better than I had on Prozac. My combination of irritability, depression, lack of motivation, and suicidal/homicidal ideation (in the form of intrusive mental images) has vanished, and I find it much easier to talk to people and look them in the eye again. I'm taking 200mg tablets twice a day and initially noticed mild dizziness, headache, and sleepiness, but these quickly vanished. The only persistent symptoms have been hardly perceptible ringing in the ears and lowering in the pitch at which I hear sounds, esp. familiar songs.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 23, 2014 7:09 AM

Review by Airborne82nd:

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I have only been on Epitol for a few days but so far so good. Starting on 300mg twice a day. I have clear thoughts, no wants to destroy people who do simple stupid things, no impulsive decisions, nerve pain is controlled and overall I just feel good. I'm also on Celexa, hoping this combination will do me justice.

November 9, 2014 12:49 PM

Review by PJDW:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: When I was first diagnosed, I thought I was dying. I take this (200 mg) - 3 times a day with another medicine. I have been pain free for 7 months. I stay drowsy and stagger at times but I can deal with that as long as the medicines continue to help me.

October 15, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by SandyBlonde (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: No problems or side effects.

September 18, 2014 7:25 PM

Review by bipolarsufferer:

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: I was previously diagnosed with major depression with severe anxiety attacks. I was taking anti-depressants and anxiety medication for 3 years. My mood would vary greatly throughout this time period. I was self medicate until one night I tried to drive myself off of a bridge with my car full of people. I realized at that point I needed help and nothing was working. I call my therapist he suggested that I go to the emergency room. I did. I ended up getting admitted for attempted suicide. After a week in the hospital it was apparent I was bipolar and in a episode. I suffer from manic and depressive episodes. They put me on Tegretol XR and I began to be able to actually sleep a whole night and think normally.

August 17, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Twistyfil:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: Began taking Tegretol in 1986 along with Epilim, had the op in 1991 and have remained on Tegretol since. Somethings I have noticed over the years although I don't have any medical evidence to back this up only self observation are. Massive increase in body hair. Not on the head but over the rest of the body. Most of my nails split down the centre of the nail. As for controlling my epilepsy can not say they really did, prior to my operation, at first all was hokey dorey, then the body seemed to get used the medication and as a result the dose increased. Today 24 years after the operation I remain on 1200mg a day. Seizure free, thanks to the opp, although i do remain on the tablets.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 11:44 AM

Review by Thebigempire (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: I have spent 17 years with atypical trigeminal neuralgia. This medicine gave me 4 years pain free. It took a long time to work, seems like almost a year, but worked great for a time. Guess now it's on to something else.

August 12, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Sam-Booo:

Epitol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine has changed my life. For years, before I was diagnosed... I had no clue what it was like to live with a clear head. I'm able to think and act more rationally. The way I've always wanted to and never could. This medicine solidifies for me that treatment CAN WORK. Changed my life. I'm a happy girl. (and not just when I try to be).

July 23, 2014 1:43 AM

Review by haapbhanemango:

For Trigeminal Neuralgia: My experience with Trigeminal Neuralgia is that it seems hugely influenced by emotional stress. Managing this, and bringing presence of mind remain for me the most effective ways to deal with this crippling pain. Nevertheless, the carbamazepine seems helpful so far, though the side effects only seem to add to the symptoms of Multiple Sclerosis I've been diagnosed with for a dozen years.

July 19, 2014 4:55 PM

Review by Kellie Martin (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Peripheral Neuropathy: So far Tegretol has helped my nerve pain in my feet significantly. No side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 13, 2014 5:28 PM

Review by beachhut:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I have been on Tegretol 31 years as well as Lamictal, excellent until I turned 52. Then had some partial seizures..... so my neurologist upped it from 400 to 800 Tegretol and upped Lamictal as well. Getting control slowly. Been 5 months....now..improvement is happening but slow...confident..depends on what meds suit your body. Keep positive.

June 24, 2014 6:43 AM

Review by All of me:

For Bipolar Disorder: Diagnosed and medicated for 17 years. Tegretol/Equetro/Carbamazepine keeps me from wanting to (and sometimes actually) smacking or choking someone. I'm on several things, but I know it's the tegretol because that feeling has come back a couple times over the years and we just increase my dosage and I'm back to normal.

June 14, 2014 10:19 AM

Review by yayo53 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: Most effective medicine for bipolar disorder, at least for me.

June 4, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Kate2014 (taken for 10 years or more):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: I have been on this medicine for 27 years. Except for extreme tiredness, I seem okay. Have not had a fit when on this medicine. One week I came off the medicine, between suicidal thoughts, crying jags and depression, I had massive fits. I have not been off since. This medicine seems to affect the liver, so liver tests are a must.

May 20, 2014 3:33 AM

Review by rscudder (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication is saving my life! It really stabilizes my mood. Before I started taking carbamazepine I would experience horribly crippling depression in the afternoons combined with very strong urges to self medicate with alcohol or narcotics. Now I feel about the same all day, never really up and never really down. I have no conflicts taking it with Suboxone. I have only noticed two side effects: nausea, taking it with food fixes that, and increased sleep. I sleep longer than I did before and wake up feeling tired. Actually it helps me to sleep through the night, which isn't all bad. After I get up, take my other medicines, and have some coffee I am ready to face the day. Note: I was previously misdiagnosed with major depression.

May 18, 2014 4:48 PM

Review by Nampajim:

Tegretol (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: This is the only medcine I am allergic to. Extreme itching! I couldn't stop taking it too fast. Luckily, it doesn't have a very long half life.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2014 1:03 AM

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Epilepsy: It sent my seizures through the roof.

March 20, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by ert13 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tegretol XR (carbamazepine) for Bipolar Disorder: This is only medicine that works for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate