User Reviews for Zonisamide

Also known as: Zonegran

Learn more about Zonisamide.

Benign Essential Tremor 1 reviews 3 medications

Seizures 28 reviews 41 medications

7.4
Migraine Prevention 13 reviews 32 medications

7.3
Parkinsonian Tremor 0 reviews 8 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Zonisamide reviews 42 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Zonisamide

For Migraine Prevention: "I'm taking this as a last resort, have tried every med out there. Next stop is a Clinic in September. Have had migraines for more than 50 yrs."

For the sake of headaches July 26, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Benign Essential Tremor: "Since I've started taking Zonegran I have not had ANY flare ups of tremors in my hands. No bad side effects however, one good one... It has helped me lose weight!"

Romauld July 7, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I took the medicine for 17 years after I had A VNS implant for my seizure disorder, the brand name medicine I considered to have the most positive experience in removing them overall, as the generic brand names had all side affects to my body by giving more seizure's & head aces ."

Markus 1 June 26, 2015

For Seizures: "Had a brain tumor removed in 1988 and was on dilantin and phenobarbital for over 20 years. Got rushed to the hospital for what was thought to be a stroke and ended up being a seizure. My new Nuero Dr. put me on Keppra with phenobarbital, this worked great for about 5 years. Just got out of the hospital again because of a seizure and am now on 3,000 mg of keppra and 400 mg of zonisamide daily. At first, I had a hard time sleeping,only about an hour a day, my fault, as I read the prescription bottle wrong. I was suppose to take the Zonisamide once in the morning and here I was taking 200 mg in the morning and 200 mg at night. So far everything is fine as I am only on week 1 of my new dosage. My Dr. also wants me to lose weight, so this is it."

John G. June 22, 2015

For Seizures: "If looking like a meth user is your thing, while trying to become 'seizure free', then this is your drug. Horrible drug. Not sure how this drug even passed the FDA. Even my grandma thought I was doing street drugs. Yeah. Not cool. Good luck to all my bro's and sis's living with epilepsy out there."

My_Life June 20, 2015

For Seizures: "Have been seizure free for over 10 years now. Ever since my doc put me on zonegran. BUT there was a short time I was having bad migraines so he put me on Topamax (evil drug) caused me to have short term memory loss to the point that I was forgetting I was forgetting. Changed Doctors and back on Zonisamide and all is good. As for side effects I have daily fatigue and less of an appetite but who cares compared to one or more seizures daily."

livinnow (taken for 10 years or more) May 18, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I have been on Zonisamide for 5 years. I've tried several other medications to control my seizures but always switched due to side effects (hair loss, depression etc.). Zonisamide works the best so far for me! I love it! I haven't had a seizure in 5 years and I'm very happy with my quality of life! The only setback is my memory, I have word-finding issues big time! It gets very frustrating when I can see the person or the thing and not say the word. I have a Bachelor's degree in English, so you can imagine how annoying that is! But I would choose Zonisamide over anything else for sure! :)"

JBuns April 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I am up to 200mg a day. The only problems I have is, some loss of appetite; which I definitely don't mind. And I get a little upset tummy every now and then. All in I feel fine, my memory is fine, & I'm just glad I can live a normal life pain free! My last migraine was during my dosage increase @ 175mg. Hopefully its smooth sailing from here."

msqui45 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 23, 2015

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been given many different diagnosis (Hemicrania continua, primary trochlear headache, Atypical Trigeminal Neuralgia) currently I have migrainous type chronic headache with Atypical Facial Pain. I was on 300 mg Topamax with a bunch of other stuff and this helped, but I couldn't add 2 2. It was like north pole magnets coming together. Now I have been on 200mg Zonisamide (Zonegran) for about 2 years and I have a 50% reduction in pain. As for cognitive impairment, I can live with the loss of spelling and reduced vocabulary. It's not that bad compared to either the pain or Topamax."

Steve_pain November 26, 2014

For Migraine Prevention: "Switched from Topamax 15 mg to Zanisamide 50 mg for 1 1/2 month. Had one migraine so far. Very bad upset stomach, acid, and burping sensation. Will hold on a little longer to see. Topamax made me lose hair. Foggy memory from both medicines."

seeking4solution (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 30, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "Zonegran unlike Keppra and other seizure medicines give you a natural feeling closer to a normal feeling. Some seizures still slip by for me but only when it's closer to my menstrual cycle or ovulation time, my seizures seem to be directly linked to fluctionations in my womanly cycles other than that this medicine has been the best one for me and has been a great relief to me."

Seizuregrlll (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 17, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "Been on this medicine for a long time. 10 years. It decreased my seizures a lot and my headaches. Also decreased my appetite and I've lost weight which I have no problem with. Out of all seizure medicines I've been on I highly suggest this one!"

Childfree91 (taken for 10 years or more) January 16, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I took Topamax for a while and it worked wonders but the side effects were insane. However, the zonesamide works very well for preventing my migraines. I take 400 mg a day. Word finding and memory, I don't even know what those are anymore. However, I was living in constant pain. Nothing was working for me. This is the only thing that has done anything for me in years."

What memory January 12, 2014

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I have been taking Topirimate for complex partial seizures following my second sub arachnoid bleed in 2005 but started to lose my hair so I am now taking Zonegran and since changing over I feel very well, and the hair loss seems to be much improved and I am feeling great !"

goldilocks46 November 25, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "Our daughter is 5 years old and is on Zonegran for epilepsy along with other AED'S she has problems since about a week after starting Zonegran lack of memory and information processing. She is very slow now and has a hard time finding the correct words. She is also very sleepy. at this point we have actually seen a increase in seizure activity."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 29, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "Seizures decreased in frequecy. Partial seizures. But there was one day of uncontrollable,uncomfortable side effects or a seizure of a different type. I had trouble organizing thoughts,couldn't come up with certain words,and felt extremely hostile at times. Never want to have those feelings again. They were very strong and uncontronablle."

ringa (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 21, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I have been taking Zonegran, 300mg/daily for 8 years. I have complex partial seizures that generalize about 90% of the time. I have tried just about every other medication out there and this is the only one that has kept my epilepsy under control. I do have side effects: some depression, anorexia (defined as loss of appetite). I started this medication weighing around 125lbs and now after three children weigh 105lbs and can't remember the last time I was hungry, and I have noticed that it is harder for me to retain information and I sometimes have to read things twice to understand them where before Zonegran I easily understood and retained information. Despite these side effects, I won't ever try a different medication. Totally worth it."

Emily G. October 9, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: "I started having migraines suddenly two years after the birth of my first and only child. Sought help from a Neurologist eventually when anti-depressants prescribed by my family practice Dr didn't work. My Neuro doctor started me out on Topamax first, which I had terrible side effects from: word recall was awful and I felt paranoid and edgy all the time. Zonisamide has been a game changer. So far limited side effects: some dizziness - not bad, rash on my upper arm - not a big deal. I'll take this in exchange for the life altering migraines that pretty much shut me down any day!"

Migrainemandy (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 29, 2013

For Migraine Prevention: "I did experience some appetite loss at 1st, which was OK because I wanted to loss about 5 pounds-but I started gaining weight, face was puffy, while eating very little and no decrease in exercise. The worst, however, was the onset of depression and feeling of hopelessness. I was up to 100 mg a day, on it for 2-3 weeks, and stopped cold turkey. Taking Topamax, years ago, did help with headaches and I lost weight (actually too much in beginning but body adjusted) but I also lost word facility. Not good trade off so I had to go off Topamax. Help!"

bobbi28 (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "I was on this medicine at first 200mg a day then 400mg. I turned into a completely different person. I'm normally a happy, positive & outgoing young woman. On Zonisamide I became extremely irritable & depressed. I flipped out over the littlest thing. I also lost a lot of weight because my appetite essentially disappeared. I weighed about 135lbs when I started and dropped to 113lbs. I finally had enough when the depression kicked in. I would have suicidal thoughts multiple times a day. It was scary and debilitating! I cried a lot, for no good reason. My performance at work and my relationships were suffering so I called my Dr. and switched to Lamictal."

Ridiculousness April 13, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Seizures: "Diagnosed- generalized juvenile myoclonic epilepsy. Completely stopped my sons seizures, he is only 14 years old."

DGIII (taken for less than 1 month) March 23, 2013

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I don't notice any side effects compared to some of the other anti-seizure medicines."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 25, 2012

For Seizures: "A little weight loss. Very good seizure control. No other side effects for me."

Clayzone (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 17, 2012

For Migraine Prevention: "I have chronic headaches (>15 per month) and tried many treatments that did not help: Botox, Topamax, and others. With zonisamide my headaches are mostly limited to just the week before my period."

Anonymous April 12, 2012

Zonegran (zonisamide) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking Zonegran for a few years now at 300mg per day. It had really gotten my headaches under control to where I would only have a headache periodically. Weight loss has been a side effect that I haven't minded. The problem is I've had significant memory and focus issues. I hardly felt competent most of the time. I have slowly weened myself down to 100mgs per day (I notified my neurologist of this because its an anti-seizure medicine so you shouldn't stop it cold turkey or it could cause a seizure). My memory has improved significantly, but the headaches have returned with a vengeance. I'm back to taking narcotics to address each debilitating headache. I used to take Topamax. It too worked beautifully, but also wiped out the memory."

Still Looking January 4, 2012