User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 11 medications

Migraine Prevention 24 reviews 32 medications

5.7
Summary of Depakote reviews 166 reviews 7.4

Reviews for Depakote

For Bipolar Disorder "I am not very fond of Depakote. When I took it it didn't improve my moodswings that much. In the beginning it made me nauseous & caused my hair to fall out. No, I didn't go bald, but it thinned out my hair enough that my hairstylist noticed. Eventually, my hair stopped falling out, but I gained a lot of weight & I had very bad tremors & bad coordination. If you do decide to take this medicine make sure your doctor tests your blood regularly. I think you are supposed to have your blood tested every 6 months."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on depakote for about six months for bipolar II after being taken off lithium, I am feeling more like myself but still feel a slight emptiness and falseness, I am also taking lamotrigene and pregablin for extreme anxiety. I have put on nearly a stone in six months, I am also being tested for ADHD, I am 48 yrs old and have had this from when I was a child, when you have grown up with this you do not know any different until you become very ill, sorry for the rambling not sure if it makes sense. x"

amsay January 15, 2016

For Epilepsy "I currently take Zonegran --I love love love it!!!--- Prior to this I took Depakote--for me this drug sucked-- I was lethargic, my hair fell out in clumps I went from weighing 225lbs to 389lbs and I developed Sleep apnea. I was taking 500 mg of Depakote four times per day---2000mg of this stuff-- I had several seizures in my sleep one where I fractured my ankle on the bed frame. The weight was the worst I could not control it. I wish I could submit a picture of myself while being on this stuff. After I got off this drug I lost 160lbs. My dad saw the b4 pic and didn't know who I was. Maybe this works for some, but not for me I would never take this again!!!"

Wildreign (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 4, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am honestly the happiest person ever since my Psychiatrist prescribed Depakote for me, NO MORE RAPID CYCLING!! I take two 500mg tablets about 20 minutes minutes before bed and I sleep throughout only waking up when my back aching in pain; I'll save that for my Baclofen and Prednisone post. I do not experience the manic highs as I was once did; however I still have my low days but everyone does! My low days are no where near the days when I on Trileptal or any SSRIs. I was taking Ability and Lithium for a week (this is my experience) I started seeing the world in two-dimensions, sort of like the early Nintendo characters. I freaking out!! That was it. Make sure to get blood tests every months to ensure your Depakote are in line. A "

dsran87 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Best medicine I've been on !!!! Focused,low anxiety,sleeping well no night terrors ."

Happyintexas (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 11, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My doc switched me from Prozac & Abilify to Depakote ER 500mg at bed time. I've been taking Depakote ER 500mg for almost 4 months now. Everyone in my life has noticed a positive change in me. I feel so calm within. My anxiety & insomnia are very much under control now. I'vw suffeerd with bipolar since my teens. I am 38yrs old. Depakote ER 500 has saved my life! I was done with psych meds & ready to just give up! I'm so glad I have such an amazing doc. No more changing my meds. Depakote ER 500mg in combo with Xanax 1mg 3x's per day has me back to feeling like myself again. Also, I don't need to take the xanax everyday or 3x's per day anymore. The Depakote ER 500mg works for numerous disorders I suffer from. I could go on about the pro's of this med."

Surviver (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was recently diagnosed with Bipolar II. This medication has been a life saver (literally) for me. It has helped keep my emotions in check. I took another medication lamicital that caused one continuous headache that never went away. My psychiatrist started me on a low dose of that medication so I wouldn't get a deadly rash. My emotions were all over the place and I was miserable. My psychiatrist put me on Depakote. At first this medication made me sluggish and hungry. I gained 5 lbs in the first 2 weeks. Since then I have laid off the snacks and beverages and have since gotten adjusted to the meds (also taking Zoloft). Three pounds have come off without trying. Each person is different, but this has really worked for me."

clemsontigergrl (taken for less than 1 month) December 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've taken a lot of meds in 19 years and took Depakote for around 1 yr. Weight gain about same as Lithium. This drug gave me hallucinations at night and freaked me out big time. Beware. I didn't hallucinate before the drug and now that I've stopped it 6 months ago - no Depakote = no hallucinations"

Medbag December 2, 2015

For Epilepsy "Be careful. My experience put me in the emergency room BUT my friend takes it and has had a fantastic experience. every person can have a different reaction, know the risks and definitely do a lot of research."

Katie Cl October 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I honestly don't know how many stars to give this medication as much as I've never had such an experience. I was in a coma light sleep when my therapist came, I heard myself say "we need to go to the airport" when actually I never said anything at all. I felt drunk waking up, started losing my hearing, it got cloudy. I only took it a month but being in that state of mind frightened me.I gave it up and my hearing is mostly back about 98 percent but my balance and coordination still suffers from the medication but has improved since I stopped it. I was so upset that I called the FDA and reported my experience, I would hate for anyone to go through that.On the plus side? When I was awake and aware and not "drunk" it did help my manic episodes."

Gage Goliath October 6, 2015

For Epilepsy "Before I came to the US I was taking other medications for epilepsy but upon dealing with a US doctor he recommended 2000 mg of Depakote daily. I immediately went to the library and checked the side effects, which were considerable. I asked the doctor if I could take a smaller dose but he didn't think it wise. I decided to take matters into my own hands and reduce my dosage. I have been taking 250 mg now for 35 years with no seizures. Early on I found that when I took long flights to Asia and missed sleep and became dehydrated I would increase my dosage and then when I came back home I would slowly lower it again. I don't believe I am suffering from any side effects of this drug."

Nick351 (taken for 10 years or more) September 30, 2015

For Epilepsy "I was on Depakote for 1 year following 3 Grand Mal seizures that had been brought on by starting fluoxetine. Fluoxetine, and most SSRIs, carry the risk of seizures. They hit me hard and without warning, so I was on Depakote for a year after the final seizure and after stopping fluoxetine. It does what it is supposed to do. I had no more seizures; however, I gained over 20 lbs quickly. The weight came back off once I was off the Depakote, but you will most likely put on weight with this medication."

APelicano September 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed as bipolar 2 20 years ago and use lithium as mood stabilizer. After a period of discontinuation of drug I switch to depakote and after that I have disk herniation problem and ear pain ."

ehsandro September 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have to say this drug did more harm then good and my body is very dependent on it. In only a year span I started having serious weight and back issues. I have never had any issues with my back but all of a sudden my bones started to get brittle. Then the disc herniations started happening, and like a domino effect entire spine was damaged. I see along of info on children or babies effected with their spine but apparently it can do the same for a grown adult. I was put on this med for anxiety and what my dr thought was bp. Turns out as time goes by dr lowers my depakote and cAme to the conclusion I do not have bp. Great.. Damage done.. Abnormal EEG. , spine damage, and severe chemical dependency .. Lost my hair , my looks, weight ."

Chrissyanddan (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2015

For Epilepsy "Can't afford to take it. Its working I've been free of seizure for a long time "

James McKee (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "This was my first medication for Bi-Polar, I'm a 40 year old woman and a long distance runner. This medication was great because it made the rapid thoughts and anxiety go away. However if you're an athlete like I am, I found this difficult as it caused extreme fatigue to the point where I was a couch potato not wanting to do anything. I gained 10 pounds in the first month and found it exhausting to run even a mile where I'm accustomed to running much more. My doctor is switching me to Topamax, today will be my first day taking it and I'm praying for good results."

BellaSN40 July 22, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Being un-diagnosed bi-polar for almost 40 years having many manic breaks until one was so big I wound up hospitalized. I was put on Topamax, Prozac and Lunesta. With a Bi-Polar type II diagnosis I had to change my lifestyle. Already in recovery I approached mental health in the same way.Topamax soon wasn't enough so my doc tried Latuda and it didn't work. Depakote is working great I am finally myself! Yes it makes me hungry I just keep my calorie count the same. The med doesn't cause weight gain - my decisions do. With how well it works I'd take some curves and feel this awesome any day!!"

Jayhawk75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

For Mania "Depakote is helping my anxiety and resulting alcohol abuse. It is not a "cure" for drinking heavily, it does make it much easier to maintain though."

Porch Honkey (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Since 2006 I have been on some sort of med for my depression or what my family doctor thought was depression. First med was Lexapro and boy did it send me into a manic stage. Never felt so high in my life, a cloud was lifted. That drug worked for a while but soon after it lost its effectiveness. Tried about every SSRI on the market until we ran out and at that point I did not want to live anymore. Family dr sent me to a psychiatric hospital in which I saw my first pyschiatrist who said my OCD was the root of my depression so he put me on Luvox along with my Klonopin. After a while I seemed better but not for long. Been on Depakote ER 1000MG ever since and everything seems fine, except weight gain. Mood better."

Rusty1133 June 17, 2015

For Epilepsy "I gave this drug a 4 because of what it did to me, and what they didn't mention at the time, also because what it did to a friend of mines daughter, as far as a seizure drug and mood stabilizer a perfect drug. controls most seizure in people. But I was on this drug for over 10 years . No one said it could affect my bone density at the time. At 29 I got diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am not happy. I have multiple back issues now and spinal fractures. They did not heal correctly and I am in constant pain. I have to be on at least 3000mg Vitamin d3 for life. My friend is older and her daughter was born with brain abnormalities"

perky1983 (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2015

For Migraine Prevention "I have been having migraines for 3 years. I took a beta blocker that didn't work. Then got put on Depakote for migraines. I was on it for a month with no big migraines unless I had my trigger food. Then I realized I gained 5 pounds, was tried all the time and broke out like I had never been before. Medicine works for migraines but has terrible side effects. Had to stop taking"

soccerbjsweetie April 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

For Epilepsy "Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been epileptic for about 12 years. I've seen my fair share of doctors and I was either too medicated or ignored, so remember, the doctor isn't always right. I recently found my current doctor about 3 years ago and she has gone above and beyond for me. I am currently seizure free and can drive. I currently take 1000mg Depakote ER a day 200 mg of Topamax a day to balance out the weight gain. I do have a slight problem with my hair, it won't grow, but that's okay."

Happygurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015