User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 13 medications

5.6
Summary of Depakote reviews 136 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Depakote

Review by Becca1248 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Used this for a few months as recommended to prevent my frequent and painful migraines that I've had since I was 12. Depakote was okay I guess. I still had two major migraines while on it, and didn't give it any extra time because the side effects are awful! I wanted to sleep constantly. Felt depressed and irritable, and hated life! Plus, the weight gain alone I experienced in a couple months was absolutely enough reason for me to not want to be on it anymore.... I gained about 15-20 lbs!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 9:35 PM

Review by BuilderB:

For Epilepsy: Started with Depakote upon being diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy in my teens. I took it for years without issue. I decided to switch to Keppra XR because of potential liver issues with Depakote and the somewhat tiresome redundancy of labwork related to Depakote use. Keppra XR did not work for me as my memory began growing progressively worse and I could not think clearly. I also began losing my train of thought mid sentence fairly often. Switched back to Depakote ER, and am feeling much better mentally. The quarterly labwork is not a big deal when compared to being in a mind fog for over a year. That's my experience, hope everyone finds what's right for them. P.S. I do not take generics, noticeably more side effects.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Timmaaaaa:

For Bipolar Disorder: Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!

August 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Review by Cpcmom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have struggled with migraines for 14 years. I have tried so many medications over the years. The past 3 years my migraines have gotten worse. I have been put in the hospital for a week to a week and a half at a time. The last time I went to the neurologist they added Depakote twice a day to see if it would help cut back on the number of migraines I was having. I would have at least one a day. I was currently on Topamax twice a day, Fioricet, Zofran. When I started Depakote I noticed my weight was going up well I have been on the medication 3 months now and I have gained 40 pounds. This is so crazy. I used to weigh 298lbs. And I don't want to go back there. When my scale started going over the 200 mark again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 23, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by linseygrl75:

For Epilepsy: Taking Depakote for grand mal seizures since I was 12. I'm 28 it has always worked unless I don't take it. It thinned out my hair, made me gain 15 lbs and makes me really tired. I take 1000 mg a day. It is very toxic for your liver, you really should not drink on it! Working out helps with battling the tiredness. Hoping to switch to Lamictal again. I hate the side effects but it works great for grand mal seizures!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 2:07 PM

Review by hekhek26 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Epilepsy: I was put on Depakote when I was 17 when I started to have seizures due to head trauma from a motorcycle accident. Initially my dose was higher I don't remember exactly how high but then I was lowered to Depakote ER 500mg once a day. As long as I took my medicine and didn't drink as much as before and got regular sleep I did not have any seizures. When I've ran out of the medication and went out and drank (like an idiot) I had a seizure the next day. This happened to me like 3 times but it's my own fault. Anyway as long as I take it daily and control any other factors that could cause a seizure I'm seizure free. I've never had a seizure while taking this. First side effects were slight hair loss which stopped. But I did gain weight.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2014 12:36 PM

Review by TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks

February 4, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer.

January 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now.

November 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Review by Stacyesd:

For Bipolar Disorder: Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%.

October 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Review by Renosandy:

For Migraine Prevention: I started back on Depakote 2 weeks ago. My headaches are better but my hands are shaky and my stomach aches. Better than a migraine so I will continue.

October 1, 2013 4:13 PM

Review by crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 10:54 PM

Review by Sweaty Mom (taken for 10 years or more):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Depakote for 10 years. I can tell that it does calm me down. As most people are saying in this forum it does make me very tired. The symptoms that I have had for 10 years are extra sweating, (it seems to be coming from my scalp and down my face). Weight gain that I can't seem to lose, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a ringing or drumming in one or both ears. I've been to many Doctors just about my ear but they can't find anything wrong.

September 3, 2013 3:05 AM

Review by 40 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Depakote for bipolar and the very first night I had very vivid dreams which turned into nightmares and audio visual hallucinations. It's been 3 days and my dreams are not back to normal yet. I've read the reviews and it seems to work for most people. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. My doctor put me back on Trileptal 300 mgs twice a day.

September 1, 2013 1:44 AM

Review by soul queen:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Depakote for 10 days. I also take 250mgs of quetiapine 50 mgs. My psychiatrist is reluctant to diagnose bipolar but seems to be treating me for it. I feel calmer so far on Depakote, but still feel a bit down. I was a bit high my psychiatrist said I wasn't manic.

August 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Totally Sarcastic:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was just newly diagnosed with bi-polar. I started feeling the effects of my antidepressants as they made me feel too euphoric and unhinged. There are days when I feel as though I can conquer the world and nothing can stand in my way and days when I feel low, as though the world is on top of me. Sometimes, I can laugh and then cry out of nowhere. It's like a roller-coaster ride that seems to get out of control. Anyway, I tried the lamotrigine and I could feel that it was stabilizing me, but it caused brain zaps. Now I am on Depakote @ 250 mg twice daily and I feel really good. It just depends on your system. Everyone is different. You have to find what is right for you.

August 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more):

For Epilepsy: I was on Depakote for many years and in 2001 I had a case of a high fever which was finally diagnosed as Drug Related Hepatitis after 3+ weeks in the hospital and having almost every test under the sun. After I was taken off Depakote my fever went down and I lost approximately 15 pounds.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 16, 2013 2:49 AM

Review by Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I started up on 250mg and ended up at 1500mg. I noticed very subtle effects if any. Hard to remember, I went through a lot and was on Seroquel also at the time. Seemed to have a slight calming effect. However after time it raised my liver enzymes and lowered my platelet count (which is a potential side effect) So I went off of it. I don't have many hypomanic episodes and never a manic episode so I don't know why my dose got that high. Didn't notice anything significant. Gained 20 lbs, made me sick and tired. Wasn't for me.

August 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Review by fifi87:

For Bipolar Disorder: Could not afford Abilify out of pocket, started back on Depakote. I had no problem with gain weight. I do however find I tend to be a little more moody but less frequently. I take with bupropion XR. Seems to be a decent cocktail. Not too potent, and not under effective. I like how it does not create a sedative effect like antipsychotics.

August 10, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Has helped in manic episodes a little but still experience depressional relapses and moodiness.

July 25, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by mouseman76:

For Bipolar Disorder: Have been Bipolar since 89. I have been on Depakote for 9 years, 500 mg x 3. I went from 210lbs to 304lbs. I have been on just about everything over the years. A little bit lethargic, but this seems to have stabilized me the best.

July 19, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by Brutalfashion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: For mood stabilization, depakote worked out well for me, but it also helped me gain about 50 lbs! Once I started slowly switching off it, the pounds started coming off.

July 18, 2013 5:17 PM

Review by carebear27817 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Got on it for migraines, it worked great for the first 8 months. The last 4 months I've gotten depressed, panic attacks. I lost weight so weight gain wasn't an issue but I've always had issue with weight loss and not gaining. Made me lose appetite a lot and I was never thirsty either.

July 9, 2013 1:15 PM