User Reviews for Depakote

Learn more about Depakote.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 11 medications

Migraine Prevention 24 reviews 32 medications

5.7
Summary of Depakote reviews 146 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Depakote

For Migraine Prevention "I have been having migraines for 3 years. I took a beta blocker that didn't work. Then got put on Depakote for migraines. I was on it for a month with no big migraines unless I had my trigger food. Then I realized I gained 5 pounds, was tried all the time and broke out like I had never been before. Medicine works for migraines but has terrible side effects. Had to stop taking"

soccerbjsweetie April 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

For Epilepsy "Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been epileptic for about 12 years. I've seen my fair share of doctors and I was either too medicated or ignored, so remember, the doctor isn't always right. I recently found my current doctor about 3 years ago and she has gone above and beyond for me. I am currently seizure free and can drive. I currently take 1000mg Depakote ER a day 200 mg of Topamax a day to balance out the weight gain. I do have a slight problem with my hair, it won't grow, but that's okay."

Happygurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!"

Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy."

Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?"

akc110683 September 27, 2014

For Migraine Prevention "Used this for a few months as recommended to prevent my frequent and painful migraines that I've had since I was 12. Depakote was okay I guess. I still had two major migraines while on it, and didn't give it any extra time because the side effects are awful! I wanted to sleep constantly. Felt depressed and irritable, and hated life! Plus, the weight gain alone I experienced in a couple months was absolutely enough reason for me to not want to be on it anymore.... I gained about 15-20 lbs!"

Becca1248 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2014

For Epilepsy "Started with Depakote upon being diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy in my teens. I took it for years without issue. I decided to switch to Keppra XR because of potential liver issues with Depakote and the somewhat tiresome redundancy of labwork related to Depakote use. Keppra XR did not work for me as my memory began growing progressively worse and I could not think clearly. I also began losing my train of thought mid sentence fairly often. Switched back to Depakote ER, and am feeling much better mentally. The quarterly labwork is not a big deal when compared to being in a mind fog for over a year. That's my experience, hope everyone finds what's right for them. P.S. I do not take generics, noticeably more side effects."

BuilderB August 26, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better. "

Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!"

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I have struggled with migraines for 14 years. I have tried so many medications over the years. The past 3 years my migraines have gotten worse. I have been put in the hospital for a week to a week and a half at a time. The last time I went to the neurologist they added Depakote twice a day to see if it would help cut back on the number of migraines I was having. I would have at least one a day. I was currently on Topamax twice a day, Fioricet, Zofran. When I started Depakote I noticed my weight was going up well I have been on the medication 3 months now and I have gained 40 pounds. This is so crazy. I used to weigh 298lbs. And I don't want to go back there. When my scale started going over the 200 mark again."

Cpcmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly."

Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2014

For Epilepsy "Taking Depakote for grand mal seizures since I was 12. I'm 28 it has always worked unless I don't take it. It thinned out my hair, made me gain 15 lbs and makes me really tired. I take 1000 mg a day. It is very toxic for your liver, you really should not drink on it! Working out helps with battling the tiredness. Hoping to switch to Lamictal again. I hate the side effects but it works great for grand mal seizures!"

linseygrl75 March 14, 2014

For Epilepsy "I was put on Depakote when I was 17 when I started to have seizures due to head trauma from a motorcycle accident. Initially my dose was higher I don't remember exactly how high but then I was lowered to Depakote ER 500mg once a day. As long as I took my medicine and didn't drink as much as before and got regular sleep I did not have any seizures. When I've ran out of the medication and went out and drank (like an idiot) I had a seizure the next day. This happened to me like 3 times but it's my own fault. Anyway as long as I take it daily and control any other factors that could cause a seizure I'm seizure free. I've never had a seizure while taking this. First side effects were slight hair loss which stopped. But I did gain weight."

hekhek26 (taken for 10 years or more) February 15, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks"

TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer."

Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now."

gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2013

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%."

Stacyesd October 15, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Migraine Prevention "I started back on Depakote 2 weeks ago. My headaches are better but my hands are shaky and my stomach aches. Better than a migraine so I will continue."

Renosandy October 1, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder "Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it."

crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Depakote for 10 years. I can tell that it does calm me down. As most people are saying in this forum it does make me very tired. The symptoms that I have had for 10 years are extra sweating, (it seems to be coming from my scalp and down my face). Weight gain that I can't seem to lose, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a ringing or drumming in one or both ears. I've been to many Doctors just about my ear but they can't find anything wrong. "

Sweaty Mom (taken for 10 years or more) September 3, 2013

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next