User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 4 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 0 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topiramate reviews 310 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Topiramate

Review by D1954 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax Sprinkle (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: Not a good fit for me. Did not alleviate my symptoms and increased thoughts of death and feeling of hopelessness. Also experienced chronic urinary tract infections.

July 20, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by Ali Marie:

For Migraine Prevention: Topiramate has been my saving grace. I've suffered from migraines for as long as I can remember, since before age 5. I had one or more everyday and nothing would get of them. I had gone to the neurologist and even given up gluten. After trying topiramate for only a few days my life had changed drastically, I almost never get migraines and if I do they are very very minor and nothing a dose of Excedrin can't fix.

July 18, 2014 10:26 PM

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: By the time I started Topamax, I was getting migraines 2-4 days a week. Topamax seemed like the best fix. And for a while, it was. My migraines significantly reduced, though I did get most of the common side effects: slight tingling in my fingers, carbonated beverages tasted gross, and weight loss. My main warning about this medicine is weight loss. It seems to be paraded as a benefit, and to some it may be, but if you are already naturally slim, pay very close attention. I wound up dropping to an unhealthy weight despite all attempts to counter it, and it's ultimately why I had to stop Topamax. I was unwillingly wasting away. When I stopped, my migraines returned in short order, and I'm still looking for an alternative that works.

July 16, 2014 11:00 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have been taking Topamax for 2 years now after trying many different medications. Yes I got some of the side effect mainly thought process was slow and word confusion that was real frustrating it is worse under stress. The all over tingling is not as bad anymore but not have headaches every day, you have to weigh you options.

July 13, 2014 3:17 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I haven't had a single headache in the last three weeks on my current dose of topiramate (50mg in the morning, 25 at night). The only side effects I have experienced are a decreased appetite and a tingling sensation in my hands which is only mildly annoying at worst. Also found that I became extremely drowsy when drinking alcohol with this medicine. Previously tried pizotifen 1.5mg which had no effect on the headaches and caused 15kg weight gain.

July 4, 2014 8:07 AM

Review by DogLover425312 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Fibromyalgia: I have tried a lot of different medications for fibromyalgia. Some work but cause significant weight gain. This one works significantly well. I actually stopped taking it for 3 months because my I didn't have insurance, and my body felt HORRIBLE. It became WORSE AND WORSE. I started taking it again and I felt SO much better. For those of you that truly experience the extreme fatigue and pain from fibromyalgia, I strongly recommend trying Topiramate.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 22, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by DIANA FORD (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I used it for migraines. My side effects were: depression, dehydration, impaired thinking, confusion, drowsiness, memory problems, nervousness, trouble in concentrating, weakness, loss of appetite, vertigo, and SEVERE ANXIETY. After stopping this medication, I still suffer from severe anxiety and vertigo.

June 10, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by T"CrazyOrNot"InMA (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm going into my third week on Topamax. For the twelve years previous to this medication, I was treated vigorously for clinical depression. (Clearly, to no avail.) My 'mood spikes' as my husband and I lovingly call them are already beginning to subside. My toes, fingers and nose do tingle, and now that my dose is doubled (third week, time to titrate up), I'm definitely losing my appetite. (I have a few pounds to spare, so I'm not mad about it!) I hope to update this page again in a month or so to let you know how the medication is going then. After being on every anti-depressant the market has ever seen, it's a God-send to have FINALLY been pointed in the right direction. (I'm 30 years old, married with a 2 year old).

May 29, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by LovelyNi (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obesity: I have been on Topiramate 25mg for 1 week to be exact and have lost 8lbs as of this morning. I feel this has been my savior. I have always been healthy (no high blood pressure, no diabetes, no High Cholesterol) however I've always been obese and worked towards trying to rid myself of the weight in efforts to prevent myself from getting those diseases in the future. This has given me the kick start I need. It reduced my cravings for sweets and carbs as well as suppressed my appetite. I do eat 3 meals a day (or at least I try to when I can remember) but for the most part, I have the same amount of energy, I sleep AMAZINGLY, and haven't had any major side effects as others have mentioned. All good here!

May 27, 2014 10:07 AM

Review by allisanderson (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Works extremely well to prevent my migraines.

May 24, 2014 7:26 PM

Review by Migraine - Weight Loss a Plus! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obesity: Before Topamax I used to suffer from chronic migraines I mean 3-4 migraines a week. Been on Topamax for nearly 3 weeks, day one 25mg instant appetite suppressant loss 18.7lbs in 2wks! Inches everywhere, food taste good just eat very little of i.t I'm never ever hungry but I enjoy cooking! I have energy, not bogged down with lots of medicines anymore and not one full migraine! I'm excited to lose weight it's actually very easy to eat healthy. Its all you crave and I was a sweet addict. No ugly side effects as described, not on this dosage. So I hope this has helped someone.

May 18, 2014 2:28 PM

Review by Bridget Wolfe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: Was put on Topamax for migraines a year and a half ago, I have had maybe one or two headaches since being on this medicine compared to the weekly migraines I was having before the Topamax AND I am down 80 pounds. I only take 100mg a day. I was just diagnosed with bipolar 1 and after reading this forum I am going to talk to my doctor and see if upping my dose will help with that since I've seen that it is helping all of you. I am feeling quite confident that this could be my medicine of choice for multiple ailments. Good luck to all in your search.

May 16, 2014 1:41 PM

Review by mkelly33:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bulimia: I had been bulimic, anorexic for 15 years. I tried in-patient/ out-patient programs in the best places in Toronto, Canada .. and I did each 3-4 times. When I started Topamax, I could attend lunches at work and can honestly say I haven't binged at work this year (I am a teacher). In previous years, I binged and purged, 3-4 times a day. I know socialize and have friends. I do admit though that the meds have made me very, very, tired. I sleep in until about 1 or 2 pm on the weekends which brothers me a lot but I think its a small price to pay for the huge changes I've made.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 14, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by Zoe014 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I tried EVERY medication out there, I swear. It has always ended badly, bad side effects, bad combinations, etc. And because of that I have been more against taking meds. Once we finally figured out that depression wasn't my problem, and I was diagnosed with a mood disorder (unofficially Bipolar II since I'm still not 18), I'm finally on 75mg of Topamax, 20mg of Prozac, and then I take Adderall XR 30mg and Adderall normal 10mg and this combination has had any positive effect, without any negative side effects. I do think I have suffered from the side effect of memory loss and slow thinking, not enough to make me stop taking it though. It has helped me so much and I recommend to anyone who is having trouble finding medicines that work for them.

May 11, 2014 3:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I've tried every medicine you can offer someone in pediatrics so they are now trying me on adult meds. I've been on topiramate for 6 months nearly and its not been great for me. I'm currently doing my AS levels and although it has cuts my headaches/migraines down from 6-7 a week to 3-4 a week the side effects have been awful. I had been irritable and tired. I lost a fair bit of weight that I don't need to lose simply because I'm not hungry any more. I've been experiencing pins and needle in my hands and feet and am constantly cold, and I am dizzy and feel like passing out. And with exams coming up the memory problems and the problems with getting out my words isn't helping. At 17, suffering from migraines for coming up too 4 years I don't know what to do.

May 6, 2014 4:50 PM

Review by great days ahead (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I have felt great. No weight loss yet but I feel very good. I am taking it with sertraline. And so far it is the right medicine for me.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 6, 2014 4:18 AM

Review by Ashleywieggs:

For Migraine Prevention: I have only been taking this for 5 days now and have been experiencing serious dizzy spells, and times of almost confusion. I actually almost drove through a red light yesterday, thankfully my husband was in the car. I am going to stay more focused and let the medication get in my system before I decide if I will stick with it. These migraines are getting so bad that it's worth a shot.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 5, 2014 1:28 PM

Review by RJinVegas:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Wow, what a roller coaster ride! Started on 25mg, no effect, then 50, 200 finally 400. It did stop the cluster headaches, but Extreme confusion, serious loss of hearing, forgetfulness, couldn't remember my phone number! My wife wouldn't let me drive at 400mg, I was dangerous, parking became very difficult, once I had to get out of the car and let her park. Frustrating and humiliating. In the end, I was down to 50mg a day, Doc said that wasn't causing any side effects at that low dose. WRONG! When I finally stopped, it took a couple of weeks to become me again. I was shocked at the difference it made being off of it. Some of my hearing came back thankfully. I did lose 30 pounds that did not come back.

May 4, 2014 3:05 PM

Review by mrs.thrompson (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been taking Topamax for about 2 years now, 100 mg a day. I have severe chronic migraines due to my spinal cord. So my doctor put me on this medication. The only side effect I've had was the tingling but I get that anyways even before this medication so who knows if it was a side effect. But it works ok for me when I take it regularly but I also have focal seizures so this medication is for both of my problems. But I always take it with my hydrocodone so my migraines are fine.

May 4, 2014 1:52 PM

Review by barbiedee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: Took away 95% of my pain

April 13, 2014 11:48 AM

Review by HateTopimax (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Migraine Prevention: Took Topamax for headache prevention. Made me so sleepy I was sleeping through my 11 am classes, then coming back from class and sleeping through lunch and dinner. I did lose 20 pounds due to sleeping through meals and the extreme anxiety caused by Topamax, but the second I stopped, I gained it right back. I have been off of it for months but am reviewing today because I am still getting the "pins and needles" feeling in my hands, even about 9 months after quitting cold turkey. I hated my experience with Topamax, it negatively affected my grades and did not improve my headaches.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 1, 2014 10:28 AM

Review by GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect.

April 1, 2014 12:12 AM

Review by a must have.:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bulimia: It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation.

March 27, 2014 7:59 PM

Review by Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax.

March 27, 2014 5:10 AM

Review by Bojomom:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2014 2:50 PM