User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Seizures 1 reviews 48 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topiramate reviews 585 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Topiramate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Was initially prescribed for weight loss and it started working on day one for that, also levels out mood swings and gives me a slight boost in energy, so far no memory or cognitive impairment, side effects are occasional light headedness when I stand up and occasional numbing in hands and feet, and decreased thirst, 25mg twice a day"

roymunsun May 21, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking topamax for over 10 years. At first I lost 30 pounds. YIKES ! I stabilized and gained back some weight to a good weight for me. A few times I've had tingling in my fingers that lasted avery short duration. I 've been a chronic migraine sufferer for over 30 years. Started at 20 and I'll be 54 soon. Like many...I 've been to many Dr's and tried too many meds. This was the only thing that worked. Thankfully, for me, the side effects were minimal. Just because you have one bad experience, don't suffer. Find something. Meditation. ..something. You deserve a better life. We wouldn't be on this board if we didn't want to discourage or encourage someone else. Keep trying to live pain free."

6754bon (taken for 10 years or more) May 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "First started topamax in 2013 lost 30 lbs on 75mg in 3 mos topamax 25 mg 3 x a day w/30 mg prozac once a da. Weight went from 278 to 248. I am 65 year old female obese all my life. Had experimental Lap band surgery in 1979. Gained all weight back. Tried everything and gained back all weight every time. Can't take diet pills make me too jittery. After three years stopped topamax because of minor memory loss which I thought was embarrassing. Stayed on Prozac 30mg and gained all weight back and more up to 291. Now I am really depressed. Came off Prozac and am back on topamax 25 mg in morning and 25 mg at night only. Have lost 3 lbs in one week. So happy. Would rather walk and feel better physically than remember someones name,"

Reeneebee May 16, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking Topiramate, 50mg twice a day, for several years. At first, it worked great and I was recommending it to all my migraine sufferer friends, but gradually, week by week, I seem to have built up a resistance to it and recently, the migraines are back with a vengeance. I have a condition that causes the migraines and I get them most days now. Also, I can only take paracetamol as I take blood thinning medication and it doesn't work for me at all as a painkiller. The side effects I personally get with Topiramate are negligible compared to the pain of migraine, I have 'brain fog' now and then, temporarily forget words, peoples names, etc. But it's back to the Dr. again now to ask for an alternative preventative - if there is one"

fuzzykia May 13, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I am getting ready to start this medicine so thanks for all the information. I also have tried everything with no real help. I also had bad HAIR LOSS for years now. And am not sure what causes it but have found a fix. Onion juice. I liquidity a onion with olive oil. The smell will be horrible, put it on all over hair an scalp. Leave on for an hour or more. Shampoo with dawn dish soap good twice an sock hair twice with vinegar. This will take care of smell. The results were immediate and awesome. Now instead of a hand full of hair with my shower I only have a few strands. I done this two weeks in a row, now I'm gonna go to once a month."

Bokeys May 13, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "After my second baby I had an increase in hormonal migraines and tension headaches and my neurologist put me on topomax starting @ 25 per night until I got a final dose of 100mg split between am /pm. Initially I noticed a lot of tingling in hands, feet & face, in week 2 a very tense jaw, I still feel like myself, but I feel more tired. I dont need to nap or anything during the day but at night i have NO trouble sleeping .All of the pain in my head disappered I thought it was amazing but I did get 2 hormonal headaches (not migraine strength) all in all not bad. I eat a dinner meal only and drink water all day long this med just makes me not want food. Weightloss:10kgs in 3 months.. I have no depression just tiredness its not fixed by naps"

Awa*star May 13, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "After getting a blistering skin rash from Lamictal, Topamax was prescribed. It did decrease my appetite- I went from 209 lbs back to my regular 135 which I hadn't been in 7 years. This took place in about 10 months. At abt the same time I started taking it, I was rearended and suffered a MTBI and scored very low on my neuropsych exam. My old psychiatrist retired and the new psychiatrist is against Topamax bc of the "foggy" side effects that are common. Now, a little over a year later, I feel ok abt this med considering the alternatives- wish there were better alternatives!"

Sunnis May 10, 2016

For Seizures: "I deployed to Iraq in 2012. I had my grand mal seizure at the age of 21 after a mission. Was sent home for testing. I was put on other sezuire meds that absolutely sucked. Then my neurologist prescribed me Topiramate. It was a rough first few weeks with new tastes and tingly hands and feet but slowly the almost constant minor seziures I had in my right arm were gone. I love this medicine. I haven't had a grand mal sense October 2013."

Army size seziures May 9, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "I have took Lyrica and it did not help but trokendi xr has helped my fibro more than any med the Dr. Has ever given me. It needs to be used more often, because it really helps."

Lana Isaacs May 8, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "After menopause, migraines soared to three per week. Top ax 50 mgs daily has been a miracle drug. Not one headache in 18 months. One side effect is dry eyes and dry mouth. Easy to live with that in lieu of disabling migraines that eroded my life."

Willard183 May 7, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I began taking this drug at 25 mg and worked my way up to 200 mg a day, 100 mg in the morning and 100 mg at night. At first this drug was amazing but it had to be supplemented with sumatriptin in case it didn't fulltake stop the migraine. I didn't loose any weight, but what I did loose was the ability to remember sharp details that I would have been able to before, I would loose feeling in my feet, my legs, my handson, and my arms, and in the worst of it the dizziness got so severe that my vision blacked out. I would not recommend this drug to anyone. This drug may fix your migraines, but it will give you 1000 more problems."

That_Safety_Girl May 5, 2016

For Obesity: "I was prescribed topiramate for daily post-concussive headaches, and I also needed to lose weight. The first three weeks were really rough, and I was unsure if I could take this medicine long-term. I started off with 25mg the first week, 50mg the second, 75mg the third, then 100mg as my permanent dose. I took it before bedtime as instructed, but I had next day drowsiness so bad that for three weeks I felt like I was going to face plant at any moment. Also, the nausea was so bad that I barely ate. Thankfully, both of these side effects stopped after about 3 weeks as did most of my headaches. I've also lost 22 lbs in 2 months. The best part is that it has given me control back in that I eat smart and don't have unhealthy cravings."

LoveThisMed (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 30, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was on this medication for five months with initial astounding results. My dosage was 125 grams. My daily headaches ceased as did my migraines. However, at around the four month mark, both came back to haunt me with a vengeance, seemingly doubling pain and severity. I also began experiencing tingling in my hands and numbness in my face, a totally unpleasant and unforeseen side effect that I only discovered by exploring online forums reviewing the medication. Additionally, this medication severely affected my anxiety and also led me to have extreme suicidal ideation, so much so that I had to stop altogether. I lost 15% of my total body weight whilst on this medication. If possible, avoid if you have a history of anxiety or depression."

trapqueen shawty (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 29, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "if you have anxiety or depression DO NOT i repeat Do NOT take this medication i was only on it a couple weeks but for two weeks it made me so anxious and so depressed i wanted to kill myself. this drug made me suicidal luckily there was no self harm but i would strongly advise against it!"

GodsGirl4595 April 27, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Besides the tingling in the feet and hands or weight loss, I can't think of any other side effects I've had. This was an absolute miracle drug for me for the first two months I was on it before a string of horrible tension headaches started to ruin its effectiveness. My neurologist just increased my dosage. I was taking 100mg once a day. I'm now at 150mg. I'm in a size of jeans I haven't thought about for almost 20yrs. I did find that drinking more water cuts down on the tingling, too."

tsj (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 26, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Was given this for headaches and spent first three days sitting in the back of my closest crying. I couldn't stand noise, more than normal, couldn't stand, light, couldn't stand anything touching me. Felt like my fingers and toes were on fire. Would've rather had the headaches. I drank so much water trying desperately to flush this from my system and refuse to take the fourth dose. Not the medicine for me."

Cdgcarlson (taken for less than 1 month) April 24, 2016

For Obesity: "In 2 days I've lost 4 more pounds on this drug! I couldn't be happier."

Camb (taken for less than 1 month) April 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking Topimax off and on for 10 years. After having cancer and eventually neck surgery I had severe head aches. I was finally prescribed Topimax. I started at a low dose. My neurologist kept upping my amount until we found the right amount I needed to work for me. It is a miracle drug for me, I tried everything! Nothing else worked for my head aches. The weight loss is a great bonus! The side affects do go away, I say trry it, you can always stop taking it if needed. I am currently at 300 mlg daily. I just started again wish me luck!"

Anonymous April 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I only used this drug once because I had such a negative experience. I was prescribed this to prevent migraines and headaches, I took my dose at night. It immediately made me drowsy which I didn't mind because I also have severe insomnia, but when I woke up I was still drowsy and continued to be throughout the day. I was also the hungriest I have ever been in my life and I had a headache. It took 2-3 weeks to fix my appetite after taking this drug only once."

ihavemigraines (taken for less than 1 month) April 20, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I had been Honorably discharged from active duty, and from the time I got out I had experienced Migraines on almost a daily basis's. I went to a neurologist after trying home remidies and using Exedrin Migraine, and he put me on Topiramate 50mg twice daily, but my body metabolized it to fast, causing my head to be very painful. Also the first day I took it, I had a pain in my head that woke me from REM sleep, my wife said I was screaming in pain while sleeping. He recommended Trokendi XR 100mg Extended Release. Since I have been on Trokendi, my head hurts daily a little with a slight tingling pain which my neurologist says is normal. I have migraines on a rare occassion."

Anthony0001 April 19, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I didn't use it long enough to see if it would prevent my monthly migraine but I wanted to share the side effects I experienced. I started with 25 milligrams twice a day for 7 days and felt ok but did experience some tingling in my feet and fingers. Then I increased to 50 milligrams twice a day per doctor's order and things really changed. I started having the craziest dreams every night. Tingling was very pronounced every day in feet and hands. I couldn't get out of bed easily. I felt very lethargic and really like a zombie. I kind of had a flat affect and felt very robotic at times. Other times I was very depressed and irritable or even angry. I stopped taking it. Also was hungry all the time. That was not normal for me at all."

DDIndiana (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on Topiramate 50mg to control almost daily migraines. It didn't work at that dosage so my doc increased to 75mg after 2.5 weeks which stopped full-blown migraines but I was still getting threats (migraines started and lasted 1/2 an hour then went away on their own). No weight loss except for what I was already losing (2 Lbs/week from my normal daily exercises). When I first started on Topiramate I couldn't think straight and couldn't remember some words so I immediately started taking it at night only instead (with my dr's approval) and that got rid of all of those problems. I was EXTREMELY hyper on 50mg per day. I'm talking EXTREMELY!!! But as soon as I switched to 75mg the hyperactivity stopped. Moving to 100mg tonight."

Kris_ty (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I believe a lot of the negative side effects can be attributed to lack of food and water. Once I started to eat and drink (even though I didn't feel like it) the foggy brain, dry eyes and other side effects went away (I am still loosing weight though :) ) and still no migraines. I also split my dosage 50 mg morning and night and this has also help minimized side effects."

NLJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I believe alot of the negative side effects are caused from not eating or drinking. Once I started to eat and drink water foggy brain and unpleasant side effects went away (I am still loosing weight though :) ) and still no migraines. I also split my dosage 50 mg morning 50 mg at night, this has helped minimize side effects."

NLJ April 12, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "Medicine from hell. It will wreck your life. Dont do it."

lyfesaquarium (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2016