User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 4 reviews 40 medications

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 66 medications Not rated - Be the first
Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topiramate reviews 361 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Topiramate

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Topamax is truly a lifesaver I have been on this for many years now for migraine prevention, and I to would get the "pins and needles" tingle sinsation in hands and feet. I've found A daily multivitamin helps with that, and believe it or not, prenatal vitamins take it completely away. I hope this helps!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 24, 2015 10:35 PM

Review by jackie french:

For Obesity: I am a African American woman with my natural hair. I have not experience any hair loss. I have been on topiramate for 10 days. I am taking 50 mg 1 pill only at night and I have lost 8 pounds so far. My doctor recommend I take 1 pill for 2 weeks before moving to 2 pills a day. I will probably stick with the one pill because I am losing the weight. I do exercise 5 days a week also so this helps. This pill alone is not going to work you need to get moving just a little. Treadmill 20 minutes is all I do. You can do it!!!! Good luck...

March 19, 2015 4:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Fibromyalgia: I have been on Topiramate for 6 months, I feel I have given it a good try...but the side effects are not going away. I have so many and I know it is not doing much for my pain so today I am going to have to go on yet another different med, have been on so many. The one good thing , I lost 60 lbs. but I sure suffered so bad for it. I have to go to a Pathtologist for the blisters on my tongue that the doctors figure are not caused by the medicine and yet it is listed twice as a side effect. Thanks for listening to me.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 19, 2015 1:00 PM

Review by Heather Tillmann (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Topamax saved my life! I'm currently on 25 mg and will go up if needed. I woke up every single day from a headache. It literally got to the point where I didn't want to wake up. The only side effect I had was nausea for about 3 days but it was gone after that. It took about a week to it to start working for me. I haven't been so happy in my entire life! Headaches controlled my life but not anymore!

February 27, 2015 1:51 PM

Review by miramy:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been on Topamax for about 2 months now. I've went to having a migraine or headache of some sort everyday to 2 migraines in the past 2 months. The only thing I dont like about the medication is the severe tingling in my hands, feet, fingers, and lips.

February 19, 2015 7:16 AM

Review by Blueearth:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Prescribed a half 50 mg tab at bedtime for a week. It's been two days and I have no more headaches! Finally! I have a strange side effect of pain in my private area though. Does anyone else have this issue? It's just annoying. I hope it doesn't get any worse. I've been looking for a migraine med that actually helps without too many side effects.

February 5, 2015 1:43 AM

Review by Mr wild 1:

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: I've been on and off Topamax for 20 years, works good and I've lost over 100lbs. Very good medicine. Also I've had five brain Surgerys in my life for seizures because mine was so bad now I'm down to maybe one every 3 years dry mouth a little bit but I rather have the dry mouth and be 100lbs lighter and able to drive and do things then to be off it and have only God knows how many seizures and not be able to drive.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 29, 2015 3:16 PM

Review by Knell86 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizure Prevention: This medication has been probably the best one I've been on for my seizures.. As long as I take it as prescribed it's worked wonders for me...

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 12:10 AM

Review by Steph6981 (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: I am extremely obese. My starting weight when I started taking Topamax was 289.0 lbs. I weighed myself every few days. I started for one week taking 25 mg in the morning and 25 mg in the evening. Now I take 50mg in the morning and 50 in the evening. Im also eating right veggies and fruits and snacks. This medication is making me lose at least 13 lbs since Jan. 5, 15 and today I'm 276.0 and its Jan. 19, 2015. in that short amount of time that's a good amount of weight to drop. So thank you Topamax!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 10:02 PM

Review by Swarren91:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been on Topamax for almost 2 months now. My migraines were out of control and this has definitely helped them some and I'm extremely grateful for that. However, the side effects hit me really really hard! In the beginning, the pins and needles in my hands and feet were so, so bad. I would wake up in the middle of the night yelling about how bad my feet hurt, because they woke me up. I had trouble touching things and picking things up because of the pins and needles in my hands (and occasionally still do). And for a while I was really, really spacey and slurred a lot of words and couldn't hold a conversation or do much of anything. I go back to the doctor soon for my follow up appointment, so I guess we'll see what happens.

January 16, 2015 1:24 AM

Review by Hobotodd:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks.

January 15, 2015 8:29 PM

Review by Kate1933:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax about two and 1/2 weeks ago. In that two weeks I've lost close to 10 pounds. I've also had the tingling in my fingers and feet and toes. I've gotten tingling in my lips too. Other then tingling body parts, so far I love it and Ive gone from headaches every day to maybe 4 really small ones and one migraine.

January 8, 2015 11:39 PM

Review by Cris94:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed this medicine for frequent migraines. The only bad experience I have had with it is a tingling sensation in my hands at times. It is not unbearable or any reason for me to stop taking the medication. I have been on the medication for a few months and have only had two migraines since I started the medicine.

January 8, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by Crystal1414:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I still get slight headaches once in a while, and use Excedrin Migraine with the Topamax, but its nothing compared to what I had. The side effects go away and the ones that don't, you get used to. I still have memory problems, so I had to lower the dose.

January 4, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by Enkatwinmom (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I have been on this medication almost two weeks, started out on 25mg and working my way up to 100mg, currently at 50mg. No headaches at all so far and I was having 2-3 crippling migraines a week. I have lost 5.2lbs so far but note I am really paying close attention to what I am eating, I have a lot of weight to lose and if weight loss is a side effect I want to help it along as much as I can. Now, other side effects, they are there the word recall issues exist, the memory issues, the worst of it seems to be the vision disturbances, there have been times I have just not driven because I'm sure it would not have been safe. The good news is it seems to be wearing off...I have tons of energy and I am in a great mood.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 1, 2015 7:19 PM

Review by NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too.

December 27, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Mom of a sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: We tried this for my daughter when she suddenly started getting migraines every day. Migraines down to 2 per week and less severe but when we tried increasing the dose side effects became intolerable: doesn't help her sleep at night yet makes her very tired all day, have to force her to eat, her legs tingle all the way up to her hip. She also has nightmares, and vivid dreams, even during the day. That was the last straw and we'll be trying something else. Real shame because we think it was helping.

December 22, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by Cherbear1987:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I fell four feet backwards off of a straight truck and whacked the back if my head off of a concrete parking lot and gave my self a concussion. Long story short, I have had a rough go at the post concussion symptoms and the migraine/cluster like headaches have played a MAJOR role. Theres days where I just lay around in the dark and do nothing. The pounding just takes over and that's all that matters. You are not even you anymore. I was prescribed Topamax on Nov.18th and started one week on 25mg. Nothing changed. Then two weeks on 50mg, again nothing changed. This is my third week on 100mg and I am FINALLY migraine free. The side effects do wear off after time. You just have to give this medicine time. Worth it.

December 22, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by melodie143:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking topamax a year ago and it helped with my visual migraines. I had the side affects such as; delayed speech, confusion, numbness, carbonated drinks are horrible tasting, dizziness, all the normal side affects... But they only lasted a few weeks. I'm at 100mg a day now, 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Now the side effects don't bother me at all. I haven't lost not one pound so I'm not sure what the weight loss is about. I actually gained 10! Overall its doing its purpose.

December 19, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by BrooklynBenz14:

For Migraine Prevention: I was taking 3- 25mg in the morning and 3 in the afternoon for about a year , after I started taking the pills I started to lose weight. In a year I went from 172 to 152lbs and I started to have problems remembering things, I stop talking them and now the doctor is switching me to botox and I'm thinking about it. but the pills did worked, I was getting less headaches

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:07 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Anyone who is having trouble with carbonated beverages please don't let this medicine push you away. Your taste buds will grow accustomed like wine and or a craft ale. Give it time. I'm a beer/sparkling water drinker myself.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by InspectorMO:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I just started taking 25 mg of Topamax twice per day, yesterday evening! I had not read any of these reviews, and after my very first dose, I had a carbonated drink and it tasted flat on the front of my tongue, but burned the back! I thought it was a fluke, but, it happened today, too. This will definitely help me drink more water! I have started having tingly fingers and toes, but no other symptoms, yet. I already have brain fog due to menopause, so I'm a little worried about that! I have been having 4 or 5 migraines per week lately and I take sumitriptan for them which usually works. I also take an anti-anxiety medicine and an ADD medicine, so we'll see how all of these work together! I am thankful for all of your reviews!

December 10, 2014 12:52 PM

Review by kitkat2015:

For Migraine Prevention: I used Topiramate for 12 months for migraines which helped enormously, reduced them to 1 or 2 a month from the 10 . Great side effect was the weight loss on 50mg, lost 60 lb but the migraines started getting worse so increased the dose to 100mg and had a LOT of side effects, periods stopped, body aches, palpitations, slow heartbeat, fatigue, memory loss the list was endless. I came off them altogether and migraines just came back as before and I put on 16lb weight in a month! All the other side effects disappeared. I have stayed off them for a month and am about to reintroduce them as I cannot stand the almost daily migraines. (And I don't want to put any more weight back on) this medicine works well but you need to get the right dosage.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 1:13 PM

Review by MissBettaFishy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: After 7 years of debilitating migraines almost daily and rebound headaches from taking Excedrin and ibuprofen, I finally found a doctor that was willing to help me. She suggested Topamax and just in this short period of a couple months, there's been a significant difference. Not only am I rarely having pain, I feel less anxious and more balanced out emotionally as well. Even friends and co-workers can see the difference in my mood! As for side effects, I experienced the tingling in my hands, feet and face but my Dr. mentioned taking a Multi vitamin each day, which has seemed to help. Also been drinking LOTS of water, to counteract the major dry mouth. Overall, Topamax has been more of an effective, positive experience for me than anything.

December 6, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by Mlarae (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Prevented migraines, but made me want to cry all the time and made me a raging lunatic at the same time.

December 4, 2014 12:41 AM