User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 6 reviews 40 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 2 reviews 19 medications

Summary of Topiramate reviews 537 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Topiramate

For Migraine Prevention: "I did not even know how bad my headache was for years and the ringing in my ears, I've started Topomax recently and I never realized how much pain I was in until the headache and the ringing was finally totally gone, I drink lots of water and less caffeine to prevent kidney stones. I have never had one but that was the only side effect that I'm worried about. I feel like a new person."

MelAr (taken for less than 1 month) February 9, 2016

For Obesity: "I just started taking this medication today (02.08.16) for weight loss. 25mg in the morning and 25mg in the evening. 3 years ago, I was able to loss 70 pounds on my own but have gained 40 of it back even though I continue working out and eating healthy. I am hoping this will help encourage some weight loss as I am getting married in November 2016. I weighed 195 on the scale at my house this morning.I had yogurt for breakfast and haven't had the urge to eat my banana or apple that are sitting on my desk. That's good, right? Maybe it's a psychological thing? I'll be sure to keep y'all updated."

lojola February 8, 2016

For Obesity: "I AM BACK......6 months gone! I'm at 162 pounds and I just started taking 200 mg, still no side effects my migraines are gone...am happy!!!....Good luck to all of you.>>>>"I started this medication August 1st at that time I weighed 208 pounds today is the August 17 and I weigh 200 pnds and I'm only taking 50 mg I am supposed to go up to a 100 mg...I would say it's working for me, no side effect yet!...I will keep you informed!!! Thank you."

npa February 7, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "Horrible medication with tons of side effects. I have tried this stuff twice over a 15 year period and this time was much worse....all the side effects listed I got to experience within two weeks of taking this drug with slow introduction. And I still got migraines even while taking it...and now I have to take eye medication on top of wheezing, felt like puking, dizzy, edgy and wanting to kill myself. Throw this one in the waste basket and try the alternatives before touching this stuff."

Hutch77 February 7, 2016

For Obesity: "I was prescribed Topmax for migraines but I have had weight loss being on it. I take 50mg twice a day. I had the same problem with the pop it tasted flat (Still have). I had (have) the tingling in certain body parts and the tired feeling at first. I started taking them July 2015 and by January 2016 I have lost 40lbs. I was 190 and am now 147 and going down every day! The only thing that I have changed is I drink water. I eat whatever I want some days I eat more some days less. I used to go through a 12 pack of Mt Dew a day. It was hard at first but I honestly don't mind now. Because when I look in that mirror every morning its worth drinking that bottle of water."

Taschalee3 February 3, 2016

For Obesity: "Update I started Topamax a week ago tomorrow 50mg at night and I have lost 5 lbs I'm 5'3" and started at 157lbs I am at the Dr.s now stepped on the scale and I'm at 152 so I couldn't be happier...I have very minimal side effects taking them at night helps with those I sleep very well and I have had some tingling fingers but nothing unbearable...all in all I am very happy with the 5 lbs lost in 6 days looking forward to more weight loss in one more week I do increase my dosage to 100 mg so we shall see about those side effects...but if things keep going the way then I might stay on them for a while"

chubbymomof2 (taken for less than 1 month) February 3, 2016

For Obesity: "Hi I have been taking these pills for 5 weeks now for weight loss I do struggle . Specialist trying to see if it's my metabolism... I'm On 25mg he has not mentioned anything about higher dose but I have not been able to sleep !!! It's driving me crazy now . Was wondering if any of you had the same experience? I do feel so tired and lethargic but it's so late before I get any sleep then I'm waking up mid afternoon missing my days I've tried getting up early going out walking etc like today still no luck . I suffer with mental health problems and was dubious about taking them at first but read a lot on your feedback that it's helped some people.I just hope this depression is through my sleep pattern and not the med ."

Roz66 February 3, 2016

For Obesity: "I started taking Topmax 1st week 25 mg once a day 2nd week 50 once a day 3nd will be 100mg once a day I go back 1 month visit on 16th , I can tell I have lost weight but I have had mood swings, vision, fatigue sleep problems, Dr said first week maybe second week week after that I should be better, I also had injections in my back my L4 L5, also this medication has been confused is another side effect but I am going to hang in there I can tell I have lost weight, my face and neck fingers and ladies you know the other we never want to lose first place right below neck, so if your really want to loose weight give it a try"

Kohutek paula January 30, 2016

For Obesity: "I just was prescribed topomax for migraines today. I take 50mg at night for 2 weeks then 50mg in the morning and 50 mg at night for a total of 100 mg..I'm 5'3" and weigh 157 lbs and have gotten really out of shape since having 6 abdominal surgeries for hernia repairs...I've read a lot of the reviews on here and I hope I have good experience with loosing weight. I am curious about the tingling fingers, toes, lips and the "word vomit" that is another side effect do they go away eventually or is it something that stays the whole time"

chubbymomof2 January 28, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Topiramate about a month ago for the prevention of headaches and migraines. I'm a college student and have had a recent and serious issue with getting headaches 4-5 days a week followed by a migraine every few weeks. After going to the Neuro over break, they suggested I be put on topiramate daily, and it has been the biggest help! My number of headaches has gone down to 1-2 a week, and I think it will continue to improve. Very happy, very pleased not having to depend on tylenol to function, or having to miss class. No serious side effects, sometimes tingly in finger tips or right above upper lip for a few minutes. Haven't had a migraine since being put on this medication!"

Terri227 January 25, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "This medicine gave me a kidney stone. They don't run in my family and I have never had one before. The kidney stone got stuck and after several of the most painful weeks of my life thus far I had to have surgery to get it removed. I would gladly suffer from migraines then to ever experience a kidney stone."

annette7878 January 23, 2016

For Obesity: "I was prescribed this medication about 2 years ago for my cyclic vomiting syndrome. This first I took it, I had a bad experience and had to stop but after a year my doctor suggested that we try again. It has been a full year now. Since then I didn't have any weight change however; in October - she added another management pill to my list in addition to the topiramate and I have lost almost 30 lbs. I started at 199 lbs and as of today, I am down to 175 lbs. I was a size 16 Jean and bought a size 10 Jean today. I have been very unhappy about my weight since my daughter was born but recently, I am finding myself quite happier. I am averaging 1-3 lbs weight loss every 2 weeks"

Amandaanne (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 22, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been on Topamax for 7 days now.. I started it last Tuesday and didn't notice the loss of appetite until Friday... My doctor started me on 25mg for the first week, Friday I ate breakfast at 8:30am and didn't eat again until 6:30pm! Even then I couldn't finish my meal. My soda tasted like dirt! No joke! Saturday I made peach cobbler I love cobbler! I ate four bites and threw the plate it tasted like dirt! I notice if I force myself to over eat I need a bathroom very fast! I did a one week weigh in this morning I started at 229.9 and today I weight 223.3! Total of 6.6 pounds! I take mine for headaches and migraines.. Today I start 25mg twice a day! Then move to 50mg twice a day next week! I'm excited about losing weight!!!!"

Jaylena (taken for less than 1 month) January 19, 2016

For Obesity: "After 35 years of yo yo diets I have lost 95lbs in one year! I'm so excited about my new look and no more severe back pain, Sincerely Nurse Dee!"

Sonya Dee (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Fibromyalgia: "Make sure to start with low dosage, or it will make you sick. Had less stiffness right away. Still some pain, but nothing like before. Somehow, it helped reduce my asthma symptoms. First time I slept 7 hours in a row since my car accident 5 years prior. Lost 20 lbs easily, but I had to stop taking it due to side effects. It makes certain foods taste terrible; gave me a constant pins/needles/numbness feeling in my hands and feet; dropped things more often; handfuls of hair fell out; sweat turned orange; dumb as box of rocks. All this yet it worked better than anything else I'd taken."

CalendulaBishop January 19, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was given this drug for complex migraines and the morning after the first dose resulted in altered consciousness and anisocoria where the left eye was dilated and less reactive to light than the other eye. I was promptly told to discontinue the drug by my doctor and have ever since had more blurred vision - slight double vision at times - and a frequent manifestation of the conditions mentioned. I've had people mention the anisocoria many times, always the same effect."

Canamla (taken for less than 1 month) January 18, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I weighed 268 pounds when I started out on Topamax about 12 years ago. I was put on them due to Cluster Migraines A/K/A Suicide Headaches. The level of pain I suffered daily was unbearable. Topamax was fabulous. In small doses, which have been increased to 200mg, 2Xdaily, they (along with other meds) saved my life. My weightloss?? Hold your hats, people! I've lost a person!! I weigh exactly 120lbs, am 5'8" & very active when I can be. I've lost 148lbs total. MORE THAN ENOUGH! So, how do I stop losing? THAT is the question."

DuhSlaten (taken for 10 years or more) January 18, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "It's important to remember that individuals will have different reactions to the same drug....What causes one person to have horrible side effects, may very well be the life saving option for another. I've used topiramate for over six years now. It helped me quit drinking, it keeps my migraines at bay and it is part of my prescription and supplement regimine for a bi-polor disorder and fibromyalgia. I did have some of the mentioned side effects at first...the first 6 months...but my body adjusted to the medicine and the side effects went away. There are also adaptogenic herbs such as holy basil that can be taken to help with mental foggiest that comes as a side affect of some rx drugs"

RandiMac79 January 16, 2016

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "I have been obese my whole life. I have struggled with diets and exercise and eating and starving. I have gone as far as having weight loss surgery. EVERYTHING has only been temporary. My new doctor has recommended Topamax. I currently weigh 282.6. I have started out on 25 in the morning and 25 at night. In 1 month I will go in for my follow up. Has anyone else tried everything else and completely fail? My doctor says it could be my genetic makeup. But anyway I plan on keeping a record on here of my journey for myself and others to follow. Thank you for your support."

AmandaRaeKrause January 14, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I've suffered from chronic headaches/ migraines all my life and now being that I have finished high school and moved to university the headaches would cause me to loose focus in university work. When my grades started to decrease I knew I had to do something about it. The doctors prescribed me Topamax (Topiramate). I've been taking this medication for about a year and I absolutely love it! Now I only get headaches once or twice a week, instead of every day. This medication helped turn dark, painful days to luminous ones!"

Anonymous January 11, 2016

For Obesity: "I started taking topalex after stop taking lithium. I gained 45kg by the lithium and moodstabilisers in 2 years. So now I already have lost 13kg in less than 2 months and still dropping. I drink a lot of water and eat slowly now and a lot less"

celestdevilliers January 7, 2016

For Migraine Prevention: "I was suffering from migraine, 10 times a month on average during late 2014. I have been always suffering from Migraine for years, but it was more frequently than before. I consulted a doctor in Dubai, educated in Sweden and Canada, a very successful doctor. He prescribed Topamax, for 6 months. In 2 months, I ended up going into depression, first time in my life! I had to quit the medicine as I was travelling to UK, and forgot taking the medicine with me and they don't sell this without prescription. After quitting, depression gone. I thought this is coincidence. Until I saw the doctor again, again prescribed Topamax. Again, after 2 months - depression. Mood swings, almost suicidal thoughts - I quit, depression gone. NOT RECOMMENDED!!"

CigdemYazici January 6, 2016

For Obesity: "I suffer from depression, bipolar, and anxiety and believe me it is a struggle. I always had a perfect 10 body weighing at 112 now 175 at 5'2 then I was put on Abilify to add to my other meds. My doctor weaned me off the abilify and put me on Topomax for mood swings and to loose weight. I am on 50mg at night. Within 2 weeks if I don't see a change she will bump my dosage up. I am praying that it works for me. The struggle is real and I feel for everybody going through this pain. I want to wish everyone good luck and a happy new year! I will keep you all posted"

Bellagemini December 31, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was put on topiramate for my chronic migraines. I have been taking it for 3.5 years and this was the third preventative medicine I tried. It works! I used to get at least 15 migraines in a month and now I don't even get 15 migraines a year. Some side effects that I have noticed are a decreased appetite and it makes me forget words. When I started it I weighed 165 (which I gained 35 pounds from amitriptyline) and now I am down to 115. A lot of that weight was lost from healthy eating and exercising, but it curbs my appetite a lot and I don't feel the need to impulsively eat in between meals or snack. I also have noticed that it makes my brain foggy and it makes me forget words mid-sentence. Other than that, it saved my life!!"

xoxo1 December 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was put on it plus Wellbutrin to stabilize my mood. For 3 months I was extremely nauseous, unable to eat a thing. I lost - 12kg's. The side effects were tingling in my hands and feet, a feeling that my head was being pulled to one side, metallic taste, extreme brain fog, loss of vocab (I sounded like an idiot, I could hardly string a sentence together), attention span diminished and extreme muscle weakness. I became socially anxious/awkward and still am. I developed a strange curry-like smell to me. I stopped when I fell pregnant and put on 24kg's, still holding on to 9kg's. It seems to have ruined my metabolism. I loved the appetite suppression (why I stayed on it) but won't go back on it, the side effects are too severe. And expensive"

BeanieMommy123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 28, 2015