User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 65 medications

Vulvodynia 2 reviews 9 medications

Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topiramate reviews 437 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Topiramate

For Obesity: "I was just diagnosed with epilepsy about 2 weeks ago and I am now taking 50 mg of topamax 2 times a day and I have to say this is the best thing ever! I don't know how much I have lost because I did not know what I was when I started and I need to get a new set of scales. I was around 240 lbs so I needed. I noticed right away that my diet Dr pepper tasted flat and just thought that I had a bad batch till the next case tasted worse. I also noticed that food tasted "off" too, now my appetite is down and I took a deeper look at the info on topamax and know this is the drug I have been needing the last 10 years!"

Nannabanana August 29, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was afraid to take this medication I went online and looked it up and read so many bad things about it hair loss memory loss etc ... I am so glad I went ahead and gave it a try for myself I think it's a miracle drug ! It's helped stabilize my mood, taken away my migraines and even helped me lose a few pounds !!! I haven't had any negative side effects at all from it ! I know it's effects everyone differently and for me personally it's been great I love it!"

JessY b August 20, 2015

For Obesity: "I am going on 65 years old and overweight and my doctor started me on topiramate ( Topamax) medication on July 1st, 2015 at that time I weighed 318 lbs today is August 20th and I weigh 292 lbs. I am taking one 20 mg at night and have had no side effects yet!. I do not plan on increasing the dose as I feel there is no need. I document my calories and hold them at 1100 to 1300 a day. ( I eat very healthy ) I will be checking back with my doctor in the next few months for a follow up. My goal is 133 lbs loss."

oskarmaier (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 20, 2015

For Obesity: "I started this medication August 1st at that time I weighed 208 pounds today is the August 17 and I weigh 200 pnds and I'm only taking 50 mg I am supposed to go up to a 100 mg...I would say it's working for me, no side effect yet!...I will keep you informed!!! Thank you."

npa (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Be very careful with the dosing, less is more. Start slow, for me, I'm Bipolar 1 & 50 mg brought clarity but 100 mg. made word finding difficult."

Bipolar Bob (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I must say for its intended use yes it should get a 10. However I have experienced the worse side effects ever from this medication from Pop tasting flat and metallically, tingly fingers and toes, UTI (that don't show up on and doctors test) anger, depression (with no history of depression before), anxiety, hot flashes, and that just a few. I am 33 years old and was given this for a preventative for my migraines and not sure if I'd rather have my migraines or not at this point."

Mysticfairybabe August 11, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been on topiramate for about 9 months and I've had really weird side-effects. I have the usual tingling, numbness, and weight-loss/loss of appetite that most everyone seems to have, but I've also gotten really bad heartburn. It gets to the point where it feels like I'm gonna throw up, and an episode might last anywhere from 2 hours to the whole day. It's not when I eat certain foods either. I also still get really horrible migraines, just not as often. I can't go on imitrex anymore because I have "complex" migraines, but sometimes no medicine helps. Does anyone else have these problems too?"

Shelia Veranda (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 8, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had extreme vision changes, loss of memory, extreme depression with long crying spells, anger, and suicidal thoughts. I have tried it at 3 different points in my life and have had the same experience each time...NOT GOOD. I tried the medication 3 times because the doctor and I thought that perhaps the side effects were from a mix of other medications I took with the pill. I did have weight loss but it was not worth it at all. I could barely drive and soft drinks (although not really important) tasted amazingly disgusting. I had no warning about all of the things I might experience and it was horrible trying to teach middle school, raise two young children, do daily tasks, and drive. I've had friends get divorced due to side effects."

Been there and done that (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 3, 2015

For Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy: "I've heard so much about topamax and was given it for nerve pain I have heard that its infamous nickname is "dope-amax" which I find hilarious but have fortunately not experienced yet thank God! I have however, coined another nickname for it: "skinnymax" as I have been taking it one week and am wasting away on it! I have to make myself eat. My pain management doc put me on it because Lyrica and Depakote caused weight gain. I wasn't fat to begin with. Just didn't want to go down that road. I'm currently on 25mgs bid. The only other side effect besides loss of appetite is mild drowsiness. I am 5'2 and last I weighed in at 115. I haven't weighed but if I go below 105 I will have to stop. Still it is a great drug!"

stit60 July 29, 2015

For Obesity: "I just started this medication today but my mom has been on it for about 6 months and has lost 60 pound and have had no side effects so hope I get the same results"

Mrs. Ray (taken for less than 1 month) July 29, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've had migraines since kindergarten. They have become increasingly debilitating in adulthood and sometimes I would average 15 headaches per month! My life revolved around my migraines. I tried everything to stop them. When my doctor talked to me about Topomax, I was thrilled. It took me two years to get to a dosage that managed the headaches and auras but now the only time I get a migraine, it's weather related. I use Relpax to relieve it. Topomax has been a God send for me!"

PattiPLante July 25, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered from debilitating migraines for years and have tried to take different medicines and avoid triggers and nothing worked until I used topamax... so it seemed. I've been on a 100mg dose for about 6 months and am currently weening off it because I would rather die of migraine pain than live with the side effects of this terrible drug!(yes i know thats a big statement) However because of this drug at the young age of 18 I have been dissolved into an 80 year old woman. I cant remember anything, I went from an A to a D in math, I will completely forget life events and how I got places even when I was the one who drove, I am constantly dehydrated, yet always have a strong urge to urinated causing me to wet the bed..."

evsarah July 25, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I started taking Topamax 12 years ago after one of my migraines sent me out of my classroom & into the ER. After the initial few weeks of disorientation, halo vision, & tingling/numbness, my body adjusted to the meds & I had almost 10 years of maybe two headaches per year. A miracle! When menopause hit, my migraines came roaring back with a vengeance. But I stayed on Topamax & my neurologist added other meds to supplement. Things are better now; Topamax has been a lifesaver for me. But it takes some time to let the side effects settle out & for your doctor to tweak the dosages."

Palmyra July 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered from severe migraines since I was 15 and the older I got the more severe they got I have been on numerous medications over the years but 5 years ago I found a neurologist that gave me Topamax and my life has changed completely 50g in the morning and 50g at night and I don't get any anymore I had a few at the start but haven't had a headache now for a few years thank God for Topamax"

Gerardene July 22, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I got migraines nearly everyday for around 6 months, I tried lots of different drugs, monitoring blood sugars and cutting out certain foods. One day I was prescribed this to take twice a day. I read lots of reviews about side effects the only ones i got were tingly hands/feet and for diarrhea. But I could cope with that and have not had a Migraine ever since best thing I was prescribed and would recommend."

ShanHan (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 20, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started taking 25 mg about a year and a half ago I got up 200 mg once a day I found in the beginning my hands would tingle I had bitter a taste in my mouth but overtime that went away it did help with weight loss I lost about 10 pounds. I didn't experience any hair loss in the beginning I had trouble remembering things but it eventually fades away and you're back to normal at least for me . I believe this drug does work specially if you have migraines."

Nikave (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 19, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "I've been on 50mg twice a day for two weeks. Started on 50mg once a day. My seizures are only once a year, but my last one was so severe, my neurologist said it was time to treat. I also suffer from chronic migraines, so this medicine is serving a dual purpose for me. I was reluctant to start this medicine, as I've read about all the terrible side effects. For ME, the side effects have been minimal. The biggest side effect I have experienced is fatigue, but it is nothing I can't manage. From time to time, I feel a pins and needles sensation in my feet/toes, but it's nothing more than annoying. Sometimes, I feel a little "brain fog," but that seemed to diminish after the first two to three weeks."

LARE999-410 (taken for less than 1 month) July 18, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "This medicine has changed my life I've been suffering with chronic migraines since I was 2 years old all the females in my family suffer with them over tired every Medication But finally my nuro finally put me on this I have been on 50 mg now for 3 weeks and it's the first time in 23 years I have gone this long without one migraine !! I do have some weight loss a plus for me and some tingerling in my feet but if you eat at least 2 bananas a fm day this really helps and make multi vitermins"

Metoyou777 July 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "At first it seemed to make the migraines not so unbearable. The weight loss was nice too! It did make me drowsy at first. I also couldn't think straight and find the right words. I saw light trails esp at night. But I struggled through for a few years thinking I would get over the side effects. Ultimately I didn't think the benefits were worth the side effects. Everyone is different."

Romababy July 15, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "It help with less migraines but I lost a ton of weight I usually was at 130-135 but Topamax I was at 112-115. I never had an appetite"

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 14, 2015

For Obesity: "I started on this medication on July 7th 25mg at night for weight loss, the 1st night wasn't to bad, now when I take it at night I can't sleep. I just started today on twice a day some of these reviews scare me to the point that I'm not sure if I want to continue taking this. I don't have memory loss and don't want it and surely don't want my hair to fall out."

maw-maw July 13, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "While on Topamax, I lost my ability to think straight. I couldn't process things the same way. I couldn't even finish my sentences. I would start talking and would forget the words that came next. My friends and family would have to help me finish my sentences. After getting off the medicine, I could finally finish my thoughts again. However, I feel like I still cannot learn as easily as I did before I got on the medicine. I think it changed my brain processing capability. I have talked to a friend who had the exact same problem on this medicine. I would not recommend it unless you actually cannot live without it."

Caseyyyyy July 11, 2015

Trokendi XR (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: "A little over 2 years ago I was involved in a MVA, and sustained a traumatic brain injury. My neurologist put me on Trokendi XR for 2 reasons - to prevent seizures and migraines. Prior to the accident, I had always been a fairly healthy 5'7 160 pounds and worked out almost daily, and generally are very healthy. After the accident I became almost sedentary, depressed and suicidal. I had gained over 35 pounds but I honestly didn't much care. The Trikendi XR and the Adderall (prescribed to assist with the severe ADD caused by the brain injury) has helped me lose weight along with proper diet and minimum exercise. My seizures have gone from major, grandmal to pseudo-seizures to seldom, and my migraines have gone from daily to about 4 per week."

Shakennotstirred (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 8, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: "I've been on Topiramate now for 3 yrs after switching from Lamotrogine, on which I had a full-on epileptic seizure. My experience on Topiramate however has been fine. I lost weight like others seem to have, but have since put it back on. I surrendered my driving license for a year after the seizure but have since got that back. I carry out my job with ease as well so really can't complain there. The only issues I've had are the side effects of tingly hands and feet, sudden dizziness, becoming very, very tired all of a sudden - and more recently - losing my train of thought, getting confused easily and being unable to focus. I've noticed this mainly happens though when I'm bored and have nothing to do. When I'm busy, all works well."

Rebecca13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2015

For Obesity: "I have been on 50mg of Topirimate for just over a month now and have had no weight loss. I am very disappointed. I suddenly gained 12 kilos last year due to medication and now weigh 55kg which is heavy for me. I want to lose 7kg to get back to my normal weight. I don't know whether to up my dose? Everyone seems to lose weight instantly?"

Sugarskullsweet66 July 4, 2015