User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 5 reviews 40 medications

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 65 medications Not rated - Be the first
Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topiramate reviews 414 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Topiramate

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: "I've been on Topiramate now for 3 yrs after switching from Lamotrogine, on which I had a full-on epileptic seizure. My experience on Topiramate however has been fine. I lost weight like others seem to have, but have since put it back on. I surrendered my driving license for a year after the seizure but have since got that back. I carry out my job with ease as well so really can't complain there. The only issues I've had are the side effects of tingly hands and feet, sudden dizziness, becoming very, very tired all of a sudden - and more recently - losing my train of thought, getting confused easily and being unable to focus. I've noticed this mainly happens though when I'm bored and have nothing to do. When I'm busy, all works well."

Rebecca13 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 6, 2015

For Obesity: "I have been on 50mg of Topirimate for just over a month now and have had no weight loss. I am very disappointed. I suddenly gained 12 kilos last year due to medication and now weigh 55kg which is heavy for me. I want to lose 7kg to get back to my normal weight. I don't know whether to up my dose? Everyone seems to lose weight instantly?"

Sugarskullsweet66 July 4, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've had cronic migraines since I was 14 and I was put on topamax at 16 at 50mg I've been on it for 4 years now and its worked great for me until recently when I delt with the loss of my father and started experiencing light head aches so my doctor upped me to 100mg, 50mg in the morning and 50mg at night and I haven't gotten a migraine since. Its also helped me as a mood stabilizer too, I would recommend this medication if over the counter drugs aren't working for your migraines it really does wonders"

Ashh July 1, 2015

For Seizure Prevention: "I'm happy with this drug. I've tried many epileptic drugs over an 18 month period which did not work for me. My doctor prescribed me Toprimate for my seizures. I've been taking 25mg per day for 2 weeks then increased to twice per day for 2 weeks and now I'm on 50mg, twice a day. I've not had a seizure in over a month which I'm very happy about! The negative side effects I get are blurred vision, clumsiness, headaches and tingling in my hands and feet. I was hoping to lose some weight as I read some reviews on the Internet on how Toprimate helps with weight loss- but I haven't experienced any Weightloss yet. Maybe it's because I'm on a very low dosage. I'll have to wait and see."

AshRose June 27, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I have awful headaches on the daily and was so happy when my doctor prescribed me something that could lessen them. I was very optimistic and wanted it to help. This medication did not get rid of the headaches but I experienced some of the worst headaches ever while on this drug. I felt alright during the day, but once evening time rolled around I was so grouchy, so moody, tired, and my head was throbbing. I kept taking the medication because I just thought it needed time to "make its way into my body." Finally, I said enough is enough and asked my doctor if I could stop taking it. I have not taken a pill in two days and am still experiencing the awful migraines. I am so miserable and have not felt like myself for a week and a half."

tpickk (taken for less than 1 month) June 27, 2015

For Obesity: "I was taking 400mg daily for chronic migraines, depression, and weight loss. It's very important to build up slowly otherwise the side effects can be extreme. I lost around maybe 50lbs while on it. When I got up to 300 - 400mg I started to have memory problems and sleep issues. After a while I felt like it had stopped working and dropped it, but that could have been from me forgetting to take it (memory issues remember). It takes a few weeks to a few months for the side effects to fully wear off. I started at 235 or 245, and went down to 185. I'm now back up to 200. I haven't exercised in years, and I didn't change my diet (I probably don't eat as healthy as I should)."

TwixMix (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 26, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: "Topamax was a miracle drug for me! It helped with my Fibromyalgia pain & headaches. I would definitely recommend this drug. I have to stop taking it now due to the development of kidney stones. I wish I could stay on it as it improved my life by 90%. I'm a 59 year old female. I have had fibromyalgia for 23 plus years."

Burps (taken for 10 years or more) June 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking Topamax since 1/2015 for Migraines suggested from my Doctor. She said it was a little pricey. If you don't have insurance I would recommend websites where you print out coupons and take them to the pharmacy they saved me $188.00 for Topamax ! No kidding. Anyways. Topamax works good. I did loss 7 lbs my 1st week, I ended up losing a total of 20 lbs in 3 mos. been steady since. I'm still taking Topamax 6mos later. I'm looking into other options as I can not take the Side effects, loss of hair, tingling of my Feet, hands, legs,, face, odd places on my body, mood swings, I'm very irritable, I don't recognize myself. I need a change."

Cynthia623 June 24, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar depression about a year ago. I have been on topamax for that as well as migraine headaches for 8 to 9ish months now. The migraines went away, and I have lost about 40 pounds since taking Topamax! The only downfall is hair loss. I highly warn anybody taking this drug not to miss a dose or try weaning yourself off, because I have done both and ended up with very bad mood swings and will be crying on the floor one minute, then raging and angry, then it will be as if nothing happened."

Karley (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've found topamax to be a useful tool in migraine prevention. I've been fighting these now for over 25 years and I've gone as far as having sinus sx and dentures to replace my top teeth to reduce the triggers of these monstrous headaches. I've come to believe there's no magic pill to take it all away but topamax reduces the severity greatly. The little tingling sensation will go away and saltiness are great when you have to take meds and don't have a full stomach. It helps with the nausea. Whether topamax is the drug for you- don't lose hope. Just keep trying to find the right combination of diet change, sleep, trigger reduction, and meds until you find what works for you."

headpainz (taken for 5 to 10 years) June 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Note that everyone's experience with medication is different. I feel like it's important for others to know the risks as well as the benefits of a medication and then decide for themselves if it's worth a try. That being said, this is my experience. I started this medication for migraines caused by different medication that I'm taking for depression. So far, my anxiety is horrible and I'm extremely paranoid about everything, also I'm very depressed with suicidal thoughts. I haven't had weight loss but rather, weight gain! I become delusional and lose touch with reality, I'm very agitated and my body feels like it's made of bruises. Anyway, I've become a completely different person but not in a good way. It's not worth all the suffering!"

Roseyy June 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I was prescribed topamax as a migraine preventative & had a terrible experience from it. Not only did it fail to prevent migraines, it made me develop kidney stones. I had never had one before using this awful drug,which also made me feel constantly tired & forgetful. The worst part is that once you kidney stones your body is more susceptible to getting them again & you most certainly will. For anyone unfamiliar with the pain from kidney stoned I can assure you it is sheer agony. And even worse is the hellacious migraine that lasts for days that comes along with it. It's so bad that even medicines like imitrex won't work on it. There are blogs & websites which tell of the awful experiences people have had with this drug. Beware."

rusalka (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "Miracle drug for me! I seem to have a bad reaction to every drug that is specifically for Bi-Polar! No, I'm not as creative as I was, but it's between being so high and then crashing so far down or a good steady me! I'll take this compared to a hospital any day."

Cradazd (taken for 10 years or more) June 6, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "I started 25 mg on June 2nd at bedtime I had the tingling in my hands and bitter taste in my mouth I also fought to remember what I had done all night and morning I felt like a complete zombie..I took one dose and haven't took anymore since the side effects this pill has isn't worth me risking it I'd rather keep my weight until I find another way to get it off and to this day June 5, 2015 I still have tingling in my hands and feet and numbness in my arms along with swelling in my fingers I will never take another topamax it's awful...."

Isn't for me (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "I was on 25 mg to start and ended up taking 100. I lost weight. But the price I paid in side effects was not worth it. I lost so much hair that when I try to braid it it's like braiding tiny strands of dental floss. It looks so ridiculous long I had to chop it all off just to conceal how grossly thin it is. People call it dopamax for a reason. It made my memory Swiss cheese and when I had to process information it felt like fighting through seaweed. The worst side effect was the depression. This stuff makes me downright suicidal. It helped me lose about 80 pounds by starvation. I never wanted to eat. I became anemic. If you've never had that before you'll find simple physical tasks to feel like they're inciting heart attacks."

Jennoyed May 30, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been taking topamax for 2 months to help prevent severe daily migraines w/ Aura it has helped me tremendously. I did lose 6 lbs the 1st week. Mainly due to diarrhea & lack of appetite. I almost gave up on taking it because of the stomach cramps I was getting but they subsided after the 1st week. I have changed a lot about my lifestyle since taking topamax so I don't know how much of my weight loss can be attributed to the drug itself but I definitely have lost weight 12 lbs & don't crave sugar. I stopped drinking soda over a yr ago so I don't know if it tastes different now. I do want water more than anything, which is fine. It does make you drowsy/foggy but I take my dose at bedtime, I do get weird tingles a few times a day in hands"

TLO78beme (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I can't believe I happened to read an article in my Dr office on topirimate today about weight loss. 3 years ago I took it for migraines and it worked . I also lost 100 lbs with very little exercise . I thought it was due to my not eating carbs.. Lolol. I stopped the topirimate and immediately put on 30 lbs. Well you can bet I pulled those pills back out of my meds box qjd am now going to take them !!! And maybe my migraines will let up a little. I stopped the pills because I was cutting down on all the meds and thought I could go without .. No more of that !!"

xxsnowbirdxx May 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Topiramate for about 3 years for depression along with Viibryd. I did lose 30 pounds and do have some memory problems. But what I have discovered is, my hair has been thinning out. My hairdresser told me that she has been noticing the last 6 months that my hair is a lot thinner and has been wanting to tell me. This prompt to go on line to see if my medicine was the caused of this. The 1st few comments I started reading were people saying their hair thinning out. So I am going to assume this medication is culprit of my hair thinning. What do you think?"

Reze May 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was on Topiramate 50mg for 9 weeks. This helped a lot with my headaches, however I had some pretty bad side effects ranging from anxiety, anger, moody swings, pins and needles, feet numbness, loss of taste after the first pill, sleepless nights and just constant state of feeling out of it like a junkie. It certainly lived up to its nickname dopeamax. I went back to the DR and got off these pills straight away."

NatD1985 May 20, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "This medication has been a miracle. My migraines have been disabling to the point where I could not turn my neck and I could not stand up. With this medication, I can live my life. I am on 150 mg a day. Thank you topamax!"

Lexi5280 May 10, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

For Obesity: "I am on a two week trial. I have been on the medication for 5 days. I have noticed that soda taste disgusting. Which is a good thing for me. I don't feel or look as bloated. I have not lost any weight as of yet. I hope that comes soon. I do notice that I am more thirsty and not as hungry. I try to eat at least three times a day so that I don't "binge". I have noticed that I am more constipated than normal even with drinking more water. I hope to see weight loss soon. I have been "obese" for some time and very unhappy with myself. This puts a huge wedge into my married life. I also would love to loose weight to take the pressure off my knee, my back, and to reduce my asthma some. I hope this medicine is the key to a new life for me."

Missy38 May 5, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "My neurologists prescribed me Topamax to prevent migraines 4 days ago. The first night I took the the pill I had HORRIBLE side effects (tingling and numbness for hours). The following night I decided to take my vitamins (which I didn't do the night before) and I didn't experience the same side effects. Not sure if it helped, but I make sure I take them every single day!! The only side effect that I get is slight tingling in my hands occasionally."

Bibi15 May 2, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been on it all! Cymbalta, toparite, Lyrica and Nexium. Also, Inderal. Still am for that matter! Fibro kicks butt and I don't know which one works and which one doesn't at this point. I do know I am losing my hair and my nails are peeling off! If anyone has any suggestion as to which drug might be doing this please help! I can't find this as a reaction to any of them."

tryingitall (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015