User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 4 reviews 40 medications

Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topiramate reviews 347 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Topiramate

Review by Knell86 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizure Prevention: This medication has been probably the best one I've been on for my seizures.. As long as I take it as prescribed it's worked wonders for me...

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 12:10 AM

Review by Hobotodd:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been on Topamax for a month for basilar- type migraines which cause vertigo and headaches. Since being on 50mg of Topamax I've had 1 vertigo migraine attack when I had been getting them 5 days a week. This MEDICINE has made a huge difference for me. I also have noticed I have more energy and I'm just happier in general. I've lost some weight as well. I'm really happy I've found medication that works for me. I had some side effects like feeling out of it and tiredness for the first 2 weeks.

January 15, 2015 8:29 PM

Review by Kate1933:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax about two and 1/2 weeks ago. In that two weeks I've lost close to 10 pounds. I've also had the tingling in my fingers and feet and toes. I've gotten tingling in my lips too. Other then tingling body parts, so far I love it and Ive gone from headaches every day to maybe 4 really small ones and one migraine.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 8, 2015 11:39 PM

Review by Cris94:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed this medicine for frequent migraines. The only bad experience I have had with it is a tingling sensation in my hands at times. It is not unbearable or any reason for me to stop taking the medication. I have been on the medication for a few months and have only had two migraines since I started the medicine.

January 8, 2015 9:49 PM

Review by Crystal1414:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I still get slight headaches once in a while, and use Excedrin Migraine with the Topamax, but its nothing compared to what I had. The side effects go away and the ones that don't, you get used to. I still have memory problems, so I had to lower the dose.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2015 10:59 PM

Review by NASHVEGAS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: I was very excited when I started taking this medication. And then.... I had read the side effects and was like oh this is crazy. I will say I was on no other medication. I have never had hair loss like this. It was gobs of hair in my shower. The previous posters that refer to brain fog - yep that too.

December 27, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Mom of a sufferer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: We tried this for my daughter when she suddenly started getting migraines every day. Migraines down to 2 per week and less severe but when we tried increasing the dose side effects became intolerable: doesn't help her sleep at night yet makes her very tired all day, have to force her to eat, her legs tingle all the way up to her hip. She also has nightmares, and vivid dreams, even during the day. That was the last straw and we'll be trying something else. Real shame because we think it was helping.

December 22, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by melodie143:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking topamax a year ago and it helped with my visual migraines. I had the side affects such as; delayed speech, confusion, numbness, carbonated drinks are horrible tasting, dizziness, all the normal side affects... But they only lasted a few weeks. I'm at 100mg a day now, 50 in the morning and 50 at night. Now the side effects don't bother me at all. I haven't lost not one pound so I'm not sure what the weight loss is about. I actually gained 10! Overall its doing its purpose.

December 19, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by BrooklynBenz14:

For Migraine Prevention: I was taking 3- 25mg in the morning and 3 in the afternoon for about a year , after I started taking the pills I started to lose weight. In a year I went from 172 to 152lbs and I started to have problems remembering things, I stop talking them and now the doctor is switching me to botox and I'm thinking about it. but the pills did worked, I was getting less headaches

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2014 4:07 PM

For Migraine Prevention: Anyone who is having trouble with carbonated beverages please don't let this medicine push you away. Your taste buds will grow accustomed like wine and or a craft ale. Give it time. I'm a beer/sparkling water drinker myself.

December 14, 2014 8:54 AM

Review by Mlarae (taken for less than 1 month):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Prevented migraines, but made me want to cry all the time and made me a raging lunatic at the same time.

December 4, 2014 12:41 AM

Review by that girl that gets migraines daily:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I've been prescribed this medication twice. Each time I took a tablet I got sick and nauseous. It increased my migraines and the pain I was experiencing. I refuse to use this medication, and my nurse practitioner refuses to try any new medication on me. I am forced to live a migraine infused life style and live with the pain.

December 1, 2014 12:55 AM

Review by eleasha:

For Migraine Prevention: I've suffered headaches that progressed into migraines for years and they drove me wild, I first tried out beta-blockers for them, they did nothing but make them worse and give me insomnia so I was given topiramate about 3 weeks ago, only a low dose to start with but I've already noticed an improvement, I suffer migraines 1-3 times a week and now if I get one, it's nothing a triptan can't fix - I've noticed a few inconsequential side effects, like the pins and needles in my feet and the stuttering and struggling to get words out but I can deal with that if it means my migraines are alleviated

November 29, 2014 7:25 PM

Review by jennmorgan1393:

For Migraine Prevention: Topamax worked great to relieve my daily headaches and migraines. Taking it twice daily, it didn't take long to start enjoying life again without headaches, but as time went on, the side effects just kept getting more and more intense. I could deal with the tingling in my fingers, hands, and feet, but waking up completely disoriented, not being able to think straight or concentrate, not being able to form sentences or find the right words finally got to me after about a year/year and a half and I weened off of it. It's unfortunate because it felt amazing not to have headaches everyday. I am also small to begin with and I lost about 15 pounds on it, I usually had to force myself to eat due to having absolutely no appetite.

November 14, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by Nomoreforme:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I started taking Topamax about 3 years ago. Began at 25mg a day for a week. The second week I was supposed to move up to 50, the third week 2 75mg and then finally to 100mg on the fourth week. I never really had to move past 25mg. My migraines all but stopped after a month of being on the medication and at the lowest dose. I had all the side effects - tingling, weight loss (very happy about it too), forgetting certain words and the nasty taste of soda. That was okay because I only drink it very rarely anyway. I was getting 1-2 migraines a week and now, I may have 1-2 a year. Most of the side effect seemed to have faded with time as well. Very, very pleased with this medication.

November 10, 2014 4:31 PM

Review by Mizzjad (taken for less than 1 month):

For Obesity: I've been taking 25mg daily for the past 5 days and already lost 3.8kg or 8.3lbs. It's also been acting as a great mood stabiliser which is awesome because I have bipolar and Seroquel alone wasn't doing enough. Very happy with Topamax so far.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 8, 2014 6:23 PM

Review by Ldonut:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Topamax before and it worked and went off I don't know why. I recently went back on it and it has made a world of difference. It's like night and day. I take it with Abilify and Xanax because I have really bad anxiety also. I am 24 and was so depressed I wasn't leaving my apartment but now I feel like a new person like I want to go out and do things again. I'm not held back. I like that this medicine doesn't make me gain weight too because I've had that problem in the past, I lost 10 pound since I went back on it 4 weeks ago. The only thing I will say that is not great is it slows down my thought process sometimes and it gives me tingles in my hands and face but not all the time. The benefits outweigh those side effects greatly.

November 7, 2014 12:43 PM

Review by Emmy91 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: The medicine is the only thing that has kept me from ending up at the ER. The stuff has completely diminished my migraines, I don't even get them anymore and I started taking the medication mid August. However I am intolerate to temperatures above 68 degrees and I am a healthy 23 year old female who did not have this problem prior to this medication. Even with ice pressed to my neck I will overheat in a house set on 70 & I puke and get a migraine instantly. Apparently that's one of the side affects of the medication. Two other side effects are I am rarely hungry and caffeinated beverages taste terrible but that price is a small price to pay to be migraine free. And take in morning!! Will keep you awake at night!!!

October 29, 2014 1:38 AM

Review by connieg89:

For Obesity: I have ADD and with that I have no self control over food, I've battled weight my entire adult life. My psychiatrists prescribed me topiramate, it's been 5 days today and I'm down 8.5 pds. Side effects are I feel pretty weak doing everything, fatigue, I've been getting hot a lot and I work outside. I just hope and pray these issues go away because the topiramate really works great controlling the cravings. I'm never hungry I love it.

October 22, 2014 6:09 PM

Review by ardoma (taken for less than 1 month):

For Migraine Prevention: I've been on this medication for about three weeks. It has helped with the migraines...I don't have as many episodes, and when I do have it, it's not as severe. Haven't experienced any bad side effects. The one side effect (which seems to be the most common) is appetite suppression, change in sense of taste, and constant thirst. I haven't lost much weight in three weeks, but I have a feeling the longer I'm on this medicine, the more I will lose. I guess it's a good thing.

October 19, 2014 12:44 PM

Review by oif_vet (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: Good medication, reduced My GMS disorder but now I see the effects of being on this medication. I've been on it for 3 years now and like I said it reduced my grand mal seizures. But I've lost 40lbs. I have trouble. Speaking the complete thought in my mind and I'm always exhausted. Though, I have other issues that affect my sleeping habits, as I am a veteran. Pros and cons so consider them.

October 15, 2014 2:46 PM

Review by Amanda919 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Worked wonderful to get rid of my headaches! For the first time in nine years I didn't have daily headaches. The side effects were awful though!! Ringing in the ears, dizziness, flushing, numb face/hands/arms/feet, the list goes on and on. My doctor had to wean me off of it.

October 14, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Obesity: I have been on topiramate for about 10 months now and have lost almost 60 lbs. I have had no real side affects except a very dry mouth if i don't drink enough during the day while I am am at work. My family Doctor has been monitoring my weight loss since day one. I also changed my cooking and eating habits and stopped drinking soft drinks and no longer crave sweets unless it is that time of the month. I have been overweight most of my life and I have tried for years to loose the weight by exercising and weight watchers but it wouldn't come off and stay off, and now it is!

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 8, 2014 10:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: Taking Topamax with Zoloft ... my first week was a tough but I feel so good. I have PTS, bipolar, depression, anxiety and in the 4 months I had three episodes and that's so good I was having episodes everyday. I feel good.

October 2, 2014 3:37 AM

Review by Steph B (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking Topamax for mood disorder for the past six months along with my antidepressant and anxiety meds and I thinks it's GREAT! It's improved my mood so much with no side effect. I recommend it to anyone.

September 13, 2014 1:23 AM