User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 4 reviews 40 medications

Review by barbiedee (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Fibromyalgia: Took away 95% of my pain

April 13, 2014 11:48 AM
Review by HateTopimax (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

topiramate for Migraine Prevention: Took Topamax for headache prevention. Made me so sleepy I was sleeping through my 11 am classes, then coming back from class and sleeping through lunch and dinner. I did lose 20 pounds due to sleeping through meals and the extreme anxiety caused by Topamax, but the second I stopped, I gained it right back. I have been off of it for months but am reviewing today because I am still getting the "pins and needles" feeling in my hands, even about 9 months after quitting cold turkey. I hated my experience with Topamax, it negatively affected my grades and did not improve my headaches.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 10:28 AM
Review by GeddysFaveHeadache (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking it for mood and it works wonders! Mood is stable with only one side affect.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 1, 2014 12:12 AM
Review by a must have.: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bulimia: It helps. For me it wasn't so much the appetite suppression that worked, but the way it makes me more conscious of the situation before I binge. Its makes me stop in the middle of the binge or just before completely, and ask myself whats up with the need to hit the self destruct button. In case that I do binge on Topamax, my binges consists of less food when. And I eat slower, defeated by the situation.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 7:59 PM
Review by Andreivna (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Trigeminal Neuralgia: Placed on Topamax for severe migraine and trigeminal neuralgia. 3 days later became disorientated with rash and soreness all over body then skin became scaley. Numbness in both hands and feet. Ceased Topamax.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 5:10 AM
Review by Bojomom:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I'm 50 yrs old and have suffered from Migraines since I was about 12 years old. Too long! I've taken every medicine possible for prevention or cure with little or no relief. Too many trips to the ER for shots...the only real fix; then back home in a dark room for much needed sleep. When my Internist suggested Topamax, I jumped at the opportunity. Boy, I'm happy that I did. Yes, I had the initial side effects, lost 35 lbs originally (gained 10 back), have tingling in my fingers & toes but only in the winter when I'm cold. Very manageable. I don't drink pop, but tried one WOW...it was flat. I do struggle with words at times, but still manageable. My 3/week migraines now down to 1/month are generally managed with Excedrin Migraine. A

March 16, 2014 2:50 PM
Review by Nearly Migraine Free!: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Topamax literally saved my life! I have been getting headaches often since I was 14 or so. They progressed to full blown migraines after my 3rd child (I was 28 in 2004)and increased from there. By 2008/2009 they had gotten so bad I was literally having paralysis on the left side of my face, could not keep my eyes open at all, severe vomiting. Once I had one there was no driving or I'd run off the road. Thankfully after getting no relief from several medications & including visits to the ER, ENT, and neurologist to try and figure out something... I was prescribed Topamax. Use 50mg a day with 2 Aleve & 500mg Magnesium. Pretty much wiped out my migraines. Got pretty much all the side effects...who cares? I'm not suffering everyday anymore. :)

February 10, 2014 11:52 PM
Review by Back to start...: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: When I first used Topamax it was for seizures but I had not been diagnosed with bipolar then it was thought to be depression. I lost 83 pounds but I stopped taking it because of the tingling in my hands and face, but after trying other medications years later I gained 123 pounds which I was devastated and plunged in a deep depression that I am still in after reading about again I know, I can live with the other things it seems minor to the darkness I have been living in I can't what to try it again after realizing its better than 99% of things I tried when I go to my appointment in two weeks. I'm excited for the first time in a long time to try it again.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 6, 2014 12:31 AM
Review by RobertDeannn: User Rating:

topiramate for Seizure Prevention: Amazing. I've been on Topamax/Topiramate probably 6 plus years. Granted it's not the most cost effective medication. For me it has been a true blessing. It has allowed me to get and maintain a full time job, get a drivers license. And I have a beautiful understanding girlfriend who knows what I deal with. Thankfully I have wonderful insurance that I only pay $20 a month for my Topiramate. Prior to not having insurance. I was in a real pickle. I found a program through Johnson & Johnson where they paid for my Topamax for two years. Saved me about $890 a month. But honestly, great medicine if your doctor gets you on the correct dosage. I'm on 300 mg a day. And I feel great.

January 19, 2014 10:12 PM
Review by mrhotel_ca (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I took Topamax as much as 300mg/day for 15 years and my last dose was 150mg at night. I recently changed to Lyrica which is also an anti-convulsant and am taking 100mg/day and find it more effective than Topamax without the memory and lost word problems. I discontinued Topamax because it slowly got to the point where I could not remember something for an hour. Topamax also was causing erectile dysfunction problems for the last 3 years. I do not have this problem with Lyrica. In the end I was getting 5 or more migraines a week and now get 2 or 3 a week and expect to increase Lyrica to 300mg/day.

December 25, 2013 11:40 PM
Review by cademan123 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: This medicine was great in taking care of seizures but I honestly felt like I was crazy most of the time. I lost weight which I was happy with but when it comes to the final review, I was a crazy, small person. I couldn't even call an order in on the phone because I couldn't think fast enough, I went back to my doctor and ask him to take me off this.

November 27, 2013 7:53 AM
Review by kaycp: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bulimia: I've tried Prozac and Effexor. I'm back on Topamax because it seems to be the only medicine that works for me. I never thought my bulimia would get this far, I'm 22 and I've been bulimic since I was 14. I'm done university, and it's been the hardest thing I've had to go through. I've had trouble finding a job and leading my life in the right direction...I wish this medication was sought out more for bulimia.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 26, 2013 11:55 PM
Review by Mz. CB (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

topiramate for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on this since June of 2012. I love the balance. No side effects for Bipolar Disorder. No up and down. No weight gain. No tossing and turning. Helps with sleeping all night. .

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 16, 2013 11:56 PM
Review by sarah_kay1983 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

topiramate for Migraine Prevention: So far am on 125mg x 2 a day and have found topiramate to be rather effective. Experience a little grogginess, tingling in fingers and toes, and have lost just over 2 stone from 12 st 6 to 10 st 3lb ish. Can up my dose one more time to 150mg x 2 per day if start having recurring migraines again and then going to have to look for alternative treatment..at the moment suffering from around 4-5 migraines per month from 3-4 per week.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 13, 2013 10:01 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: I only took this drug for 3 days before ending up in the psych unit from a psychotic episode. I had never had one before, mind you. My Dr. warned me, also, when he gave me the Rx, to watch for symptoms of such an episode. He did not go on to tell me specifically what those symptoms would be like and I had no idea what this could entail. He said the drug had/has been known to cause these episodes. Just telling me to watch for symptoms though...by the time I starting having the symptoms, I was too paranoid to be able to do anything about it or even realize what was happening since I had never had such an episode. It was the scariest thing I've ever experienced in my life and I still have nightmares and anxiety about the things experienced in my head and thoughts during the time of the episode that lasted for 2 weeks, even while in the hospital. I would love to sue the pants off the makers and that doctor, who, by the way, when my mother called my doctor for help, he stated "Since she won't talk to me, I am not her doctor anymore as of this moment." I wouldn't get on the phone because I was in the middle of a psychotic episode and thought everyone was trying to kill me. Great doctor, huh?! DO NOT TAKE THIS DRUG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

November 10, 2013 9:20 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have taken Topamax for about 5 years I take 100 mg in the morning 100 in the afternoon and 200 more mg at night I almost never have a migraine.I used to have one 4 out of 7 days a week. I don't have any side effects not even drowsiness.

November 2, 2013 5:48 PM
Review by Brittmmm: User Rating:

topiramate for Migraine Prevention: I got Topamax about 4 months ago and it has been amazing completely changed my life! I hate reading these blogs and tags that's say do not try this it is horrible the side affects are horrible it'll ruin your life! Side effects are different for everyone you don't know how it'll react with your body, these blogs and stuff stopped me for a long time from taking Topamax and it completely saved my life I haven't gotten a migraine in 4 months! And I used to get migraines 5 days Of the week! It truly works amazing for me! Yes soda tastes horrible but I think it's a good thing all I drink is water now I have a healthier life style! I have lost some weight! I do get tingly feet and hands but it's nothing you can't deal with it goes away pretty fast

November 2, 2013 2:40 PM
Review by Blondiechick (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I have been on Topamax now for 2 years. I reached a breaking point where I almost lost my job because I was calling out of work so much with 3-4 (sometimes 5) migraines a week. I was initially annoyed because I wanted it to work immediately, but I still had migraines. You have to titrate the dose up 25 mg a week. I initially went up to the recommended 100 mg, but I hated the "loss of words" feeling I had, and found that I had about 1-2 migraines a month. So I decided to go back to 75 mg and see what happened. I had less loss of words and finger tingling, and yet my amount of migraines stayed at 1-2/month. This has been a lifesaver for me. I don't know what I would do without it.

October 26, 2013 12:13 PM
Review by Mona50138 (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Topiragen (topiramate) for Seizure Prevention: I have been on Topiragen since about 2004/2005. It is now 2013. I have been on 100mg and just recently been increased to 150mg. I have been epileptic most my life. Topiragen is fantastic. As long as I take care of myself and take it properly I hardly have any issues. It was increased but only because I am overly stressed so I am having more issues with my myclonics. Also, and very important...I took this while I was pregnant. I did slack off on taking it since it was a new drug at the time. My son does have Aspergers (not medically diagnosed..he was diagnosed by the state of Iowa -AEA) I did try to breast feed but after 2 wks my breasts stopped producing milk. Idk if it is connected.

October 24, 2013 9:38 PM
Review by Wombat Divine: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I was prescribed Topamax as a preventative migraine med. It was effective in significantly reducing migraine. However it gave me insanely severe sinus/hayfever symptoms. I couldn't leave the house because my nose was running like a tap. I was sneezing all the time and totally stuffed up. I got all the other usual digestive upset side effects, but I could live with those as they seemed to reduce as time went on whereas the sinus problems intensified.

October 19, 2013 10:08 PM
Review by Deb UK (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

topiramate for Migraine Prevention: I've been taking 150mg 2x a day for approximately 3 years and it's now time to call it a day. I just can't deal with the permanent exhaustion, lack of words when I'm speaking, memory loss and I still get migraines! I've dropped the 25mg tablet from my original 75mg dose (now on 50mg morning and 75mg evening) and I cannot believe how much the "fog" has lifted. I am just so happy, I could cry. I already feel like some of the confusion has started to clear and for the first time in ages, I can see and think clearly. My aim is come off this medicine completely and find another way to tackle the migraines. Here's hoping! Best wishes to you all.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 18, 2013 5:36 PM
Review by Danj515: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: I began taking Topamax about a year ago after suffering from weekly migraines since age 15. I increased the dose to 200mg a day before it seemed to be a therapeutic dose for me. My migraines reduced a lot for a long time but I also do not drink alcohol, caffeine, or eat chocolate, cheese. The last few weeks my migraines are back with great intensity. One lasted 4 days. So I will be going back to my doctor. Topamax did not affect my appetite at all. I get occasional tingling.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 6, 2013 8:29 AM
Review by tinafla444: User Rating:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Love this medicine, no headaches.

September 29, 2013 8:17 AM
Review by 1217jess:

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: Your experiences helped me a lot. This is my 3rd day on Topamax at 25mg at bedtime and the only side effect I'm experiencing is nausea. I'm also looking forward to the weight loss! Would love to lose 15 pounds.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 22, 2013 10:08 PM
Review by comon' MOM ! Remember? (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: The side effects outweighed the Wonderful absence of migraines. I did not remember most things I was told. I couldn't remember words, was in a constant fog, hardly smiled or laughed anymore. After I get over these odd "withdrawal" symptoms all will be back to normal.

September 22, 2013 12:24 PM