User Reviews for Topiramate

Also known as: Qudexy XR, Topamax, Topamax Sprinkle, Topiragen, Trokendi XR

Learn more about Topiramate.

Diabetic Peripheral Neuropathy 5 reviews 40 medications

Crohn's Disease 0 reviews 65 medications Not rated - Be the first
Smoking Cessation 1 reviews 19 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Topiramate reviews 397 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Topiramate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking Topiramate for about 3 years for depression along with Viibryd. I did lose 30 pounds and do have some memory problems. But what I have discovered is, my hair has been thinning out. My hairdresser told me that she has been noticing the last 6 months that my hair is a lot thinner and has been wanting to tell me. This prompt to go on line to see if my medicine was the caused of this. The 1st few comments I started reading were people saying their hair thinning out. So I am going to assume this medication is culprit of my hair thinning. What do you think?"

Reze May 23, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I was on Topiramate 50mg for 9 weeks. This helped a lot with my headaches, however I had some pretty bad side effects ranging from anxiety, anger, moody swings, pins and needles, feet numbness, loss of taste after the first pill, sleepless nights and just constant state of feeling out of it like a junkie. It certainly lived up to its nickname dopeamax. I went back to the DR and got off these pills straight away."

NatD1985 May 20, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed bipolar 2 about 3 years ago. I am a 36 yr old female. I was originally given topamax 50mgs at night with seroquel 50mgs, as well as a variety of antidepressants and klonopin for anxiety. That worked great for awhile until it didn't and I weened myself off everything. DON'T DO THAT!! I had a horrible hypomanic episode followed by a 4 month depressive crash. I'm now on Latuda, Celexa, Klonopin, and my good buddy Topamax. I have had no serious side effects from Topamax. A little hair loss (more like extra hair in the brush) but it's only noticeable to me. Not bad. No word loss, no memory problems. I'm in grad school with a near 4.0 GPA. It helps me maintain my weight so the other meds don't affect me."

Penny__B May 16, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "This medication has been a miracle. My migraines have been disabling to the point where I could not turn my neck and I could not stand up. With this medication, I can live my life. I am on 150 mg a day. Thank you topamax!"

Lexi5280 May 10, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I am bipolar I and went on topomax as an alternative to the awful weight gaining meds I have been subjected to in past. My anxiety went through the roof! I was crying constantly, my heart was pounding and I became fearful to leave the house. I love the 10 pd weight loss but not worth the anxiety and hair loss...sad I wanted it to work"

angelash65 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 9, 2015

For Obesity: "I am on a two week trial. I have been on the medication for 5 days. I have noticed that soda taste disgusting. Which is a good thing for me. I don't feel or look as bloated. I have not lost any weight as of yet. I hope that comes soon. I do notice that I am more thirsty and not as hungry. I try to eat at least three times a day so that I don't "binge". I have noticed that I am more constipated than normal even with drinking more water. I hope to see weight loss soon. I have been "obese" for some time and very unhappy with myself. This puts a huge wedge into my married life. I also would love to loose weight to take the pressure off my knee, my back, and to reduce my asthma some. I hope this medicine is the key to a new life for me."

Missy38 May 5, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "My neurologists prescribed me Topamax to prevent migraines 4 days ago. The first night I took the the pill I had HORRIBLE side effects (tingling and numbness for hours). The following night I decided to take my vitamins (which I didn't do the night before) and I didn't experience the same side effects. Not sure if it helped, but I make sure I take them every single day!! The only side effect that I get is slight tingling in my hands occasionally."

Bibi15 May 2, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I've been on it all! Cymbalta, toparite, Lyrica and Nexium. Also, Inderal. Still am for that matter! Fibro kicks butt and I don't know which one works and which one doesn't at this point. I do know I am losing my hair and my nails are peeling off! If anyone has any suggestion as to which drug might be doing this please help! I can't find this as a reaction to any of them."

tryingitall (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 2, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Bipolar Disorder: "I can only describe my experience as horrendous. I was given topi max to balance out the severe anxiety and restlessness and insomnia I had on abilify. It had the opposite effect, after about three weeks taking it I developed severe fatigue, inability to swallow properly, paranoia and the anxiety and restlessness went through the roof, I have never been so close to ending it all to get out of the hell that had become my head. I stopped taking both abilify and topomax and resumed on my original aerogel. Within 24 hours all the symptoms of anxiety and suicidality had gone. A trully terrifying experience that nearly saw my children without a mother"

Lookingonthebrightside May 1, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "I started taking 50 mg of Topomax for the first month and went up to 100mg for the next three months. Lost 40 pounds.... For the next year and a half I have kept off the weight but have not lost any more. I still need to lose 30 more pounds, but have seemed to plateaued. And I am at 200 mg now... dont know what to do."

Lindzh90 (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 29, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have suffered from migraines since age 15. I have taken topamax since 2007. The first 2 weeks I lost 15 lbs, and it was very scary so I stopped. I've always been very active and ate well because I suffer from hypertension so the weigh was easy to manage. But now at age 34, and off the meds for 3 months and 20lns heavier I'm back taking 100mg a day. After only being on them for 8 hrs I feel the immediate effects. I'm back in the gym and my migraine went away in one hour. I won't neglect my health again. Stay healthy everyone!"

VA GIRL 1980 (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 26, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking this drug since the end of Sept 2014. On 100mg per day, taken 25mg 4 times a day as I find them so strong. They've been working really well up until about a month ago, but the migraines have returned, so wondering whether I need to increase the dose or to request to try botox - anyone tried this for migraine treatment? Side effects-these have been tough and ongoing. Pins and needles in hands&feet, severe nausea, dizziness, memory loss, lack of concentration, reduced heart rate (normal 70 bpm to 48 - I'm a 35 year old female), find it hard to sleep. Have lost 2.5 stone so far, have real trouble eating as feel so sick-dietician scored me with a high risk of malnutrition. Concerned about the damage this drug is doing."

FayFinnNiamh April 25, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I've been taking this 100g for about 4months now; completely made a difference to my life I no longer have worry of waking up or been at work with migraines. I've had maybe a couple bad headaches but a migraine maybe once since taking these tablets. Although I'm finding the side effects difficult; memory loss is seeming to be tricky especially as I'm 24 and I'm forgetting the most simplest things. I've had a few anxiety attacks. Can't stomach coco cola taste flat. Mood swings seem to be a change in behaviour, feeling frustrated , and impatient And I'm extremely paranoid since I've been taking them don't like been alone etc."

Meg girl April 22, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I tried it for 1 month. I drank tons of water. I was extremely tired all day, but could not sleep through the night. Kidneys constantly felt like I was getting stones. I felt bruised for weeks after cessation. I would rather have a migraine!"

was cautiously optomistic (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 18, 2015

For Obesity: "I actually requested to be put on topiramate to help lose weight knowing it was a side effect and to prevent my horrible migraines. I can say it has worked for both. I started out on 50mg a night on Dec.21, 2014 and at that time I weighed in at 227 lbs per Doc scales. At my last check up on March 31st I weighed 203. And my migraines were reduced greatly. The thing was my body was starting to get use to the medication so they did have to up the dosage to help my migraines; I'm now on 100mg a night. The side effects subsided after about two months of taking the medication (slightly tingling in the fingers and feet from time to time, little foggy/forgetful). I can not taste and have not had one carbonated beverage since the 21st of December."

myblueyes121 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been on generic 25mg daily dose for a week now for migraines. Positive is that I finally have a break in the migraine of 8 plus days, no tingling in extremities as others mentioned. No additional mental fog. Cola taste flat and that is a plus to me as I need to drink more water. Negative is the nausea that occurs after I take the pill and it is horrible but I counter it with a suppository of phenegrin(sp). Of course that knocks me out for hours. I was to increase dosage to 50mg but doctor gave okay to wait another week. This is a promising option for me after 16 yrs of suffering. And I have tried numerous meds over that time."

Smeece April 16, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I started out slowly at 25mg. on Topiramate for migraine prevention since I was getting 2-4 a week. The morning after I took my first dose my diet coke tasted flat, and I opened 3 other cans thinking there must be something wrong with the case of soda I bought, refusing to believe that the side effect of making carbonated drinks taste flat could start after just one dose, but it did. Within 72 hours I began having eye pressure and weird eye pain, I was concerned and saw an ophthalmologist, one of the adverse effects of the med. is glaucoma, but everything was fine. When I increased to 50 mg./day I was so THIRSTY all the time. At 150mg. Migraines were decreased, but I was cognitively impaired with hair loss. Lost 8 lbs. after starting 150 mg"

Bossgirl April 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This pretty much saved my life. I've been on EVERYTHING (or so it seems) for major depressive disorder and when I was about 32 something wasn't adding up and I was diagnosed BP2. I tried Lamictal and I couldn't handle the headaches. The other BP medications all seem to cause weight gain so I'd stop taking them. I got a new doctor who said if I tried lithium she would give me a little Topiramate to help offset the hunger the lithium caused. Well, the topiramate seemed to help the BP2. So I've slowly worked up to 150/day topiramate along with wellbutrin and Lexapro. It's a GODSEND. Side effects: when titrating up at any point, tingly fingers or feet for a week but then goes away. Take at night because can make you sleepy. Hope FDA approves!"

Some Ups Big Downs (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2015

For Obesity: "If you cannot tolerate Topamax/Trokendi (topamirate), please consider Zonegran (zonisamide). It is in the same class of drug as topamax, and does many of the same things. Its labeled use is an anti-convulsant, but the psychiatric and pain management clinic I go to uses it off-label for a number of uses, such as: weight loss, mood stabilization, migraine prevention, mild pain reduction properties. I took Zonegran successfully at 200 mg for 5 years and DID NOT experience tingling, numbness, dry mouth or flat-tasting carbonated beverages. Memory/recall did degrade unacceptably for me above 200 mg, but therapeutic dose is considered 300 mg."

SamanthaLM (taken for less than 1 month) April 9, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "Started 100mg at bedtime (in case of drowsiness) because I was waking up with 3 migraines/week. Later we added 25mg in the morning to prevent afternoon migraines. My headaches have gradually improved, not just in frequency but also in intensity. Only side effects have been weight loss (about 10-15 lb, and it seems to have levelled out there, which is fine; I'm a relatively small person) and paresthesia/tingles in my hands & face. Tingling is more frequent in cold weather, but it's not bad enough to make me quit, especially not with the benefits I'm experiencing. There's been a bit of research into its use for mood disorders, which I have. I'm on other meds for that, but I wonder if the topiramate is having any extra little benefit there."

eisley (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 7, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I am 19 year old active kid that exercises 4-6 times a week and suddenly after years of working out some migraines began in the gym that didn't go away for 3 months. All day everyday, constant migraines. I had to stop working out, got fat and lost all my gains. I started 25 mg topamax at the same time with chiropractic care (found in neck x-ray abnormal lordotic curve) and started treatment every week. A week later of both of these combined, the migraines are finally gone! but my head still throbs except with no pain.. I am just happy I can finally exercise again, and stop hating life. (Got CT Scan and MRI of head before X-ray of neck, was clear {checked neck because it got stiffer a month into migraines} ) NO SIDE EFFECTS! :-)"

jamesconley19 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 3, 2015

For Fibromyalgia: "I do not tolerate Neurontin or steroids well. They blow me up like a balloon. Topamax, along with Cymbalta has given me excellent relief with little side effectcs. Yeah to no more invasive injections and cankles!"

lisaa s March 27, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "Topamax is truly a lifesaver I have been on this for many years now for migraine prevention, and I to would get the "pins and needles" tingle sinsation in hands and feet. I've found A daily multivitamin helps with that, and believe it or not, prenatal vitamins take it completely away. I hope this helps!"

Anonymous March 24, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Migraine Prevention: "I've been on Topamax for quite a few months now, and I love it for the most part! I have only had the occasional minor headache, but the side effects are good/bad. The good ones in my book are the weight loss and carbonated beverages and other sweet things tasting horrible. The bad side effects are tingling, usually in my fingers and confusion/'blonde moments" but those are usually more pronounced the more tired I am. I can live with the bad side effects so much easier than I can a migraine everyday!"

Ladylisa1313 March 23, 2015

Topamax (topiramate) for Obesity: "I have struggled for years with what I thought was just a problem with controlling my hunger, I would never eat around anyone and then once everyone was asleep I was starved. I finally seen a psychiatrist for my ADD symptoms and while he was modifying my medication he diagnosed me with binge eating disorder. To my surprise he was right. I had no control. I had always bounced on diets. He started me on Topamax 25mg and I knew instantly it will work. It has a calming affect. I feel so full and I am going to bed without eating for the first time in years. I am very thankful. Not every medication is for everyone. I am pleased with this one so far."

momma3kitties (taken for less than 1 month) March 21, 2015