User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Keppra, Keppra XR

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Bipolar Disorder 3 reviews 48 medications

7.1
Hyperekplexia 0 reviews 13 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 143 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Neuralgia: Used Keppra for 1.5 years now and really helped relieve my occipital neuralgia. It gave me a slight headache but this is now gone too with the help from the Feverfew herb. Keppra helped me live without pain.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 21, 2014 11:33 PM

Review by Maggie w (taken for 10 years or more):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: After having seizures for reg every 8 days or so for 55 years on many different anticonvulsants, I was given Keppra, 3000mg daily and for the last 10 years have been free from seizures with no side effects whatever. This medication has changed my life around.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 10:37 PM

Review by DarthDerwin (taken for less than 1 month):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: Started about 1 week ago. Was fine then all of sudden I started feeling really tired, restless. Nothing unusual. Now I have no appetite. Spaced out majority of the day. My mood swings are through the roof. And tonight I had a nightmare. Calling my doctor to see what to do.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 17, 2014 4:49 AM

Review by Soccerfamily:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free.

July 15, 2014 6:54 AM

Review by Father of Ayesha (taken for less than 1 month):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I am from Bahrain. My daughter is 4 years old, she got grand mal seizures and doctors prescribed her Keppra syrup (oral). Since 18 days no seizure but we feel side effects like mood changes and one time she had minor rashes appeared on her face but it went after 3 days. So far we are happy with Keppra and I hope and pray that it will treat her epilepsy.

June 6, 2014 10:43 PM

Review by Amyjanecunningham (taken for less than 1 month):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: Keppra seemed to stop my seizures for my mild epilepsy however the side effects were so bad that I stopped taking it after 3 weeks. The worst side effect was suicidal depression. Prior to taking Keppra I did not suffer depression. I'm back on Epilim now.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 3:43 AM

Review by sara bou:

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: Since I started on this medication, I stopped having seizures. It has been 2 years now. It is great medicine.

May 27, 2014 12:35 AM

Review by JHodges (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I have been on Keppra for 2 years taking 3000mg per day along with 400mg a day of Vimpat and I am still having at least 2 a week. They put in a VNS in Oct, 2013 and I am still having them. I just am having some side effects like... falling, dizziness and being ill if something is said in the wrong tone. I hope that make sense. I just get aggravated easy and I just can't get rid of my headaches.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 10:52 AM

Review by unphazed:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I've been on Keppra for two years now, 500mg morning & 500mg evening. No side effects at all and no seizures since I started on it. Initially I had some tingling in my lips but that ended after a week or so, nothing since. Like the "animal alerts" I keep on my vehicles you can't tell if it works except for the absence of anything bad happening which in my case nothing has with either Keppra or the animal alerts so they both must work since before them I had one seizure and also hit a deer a moose and some rodents who darted out in front of me but no longer do. I checked for interactions of all medications and would advise anyone with a bad reaction to any med to do so as well.

May 24, 2014 11:24 AM

Review by Debra W:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Neuralgia: I

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 23, 2014 8:39 PM

Review by Brandonnnnnnn (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I had my first seizure over 3 years ago at the age of 23. Upon receiving a MRI scan I learned that I had a brain tumor called pleomorfic xantro Astro sytoma. After having it removed I was put on Keppra XR 1500mg twice a day and have been seizure free ever since. However recently I have been having new side effects appear. At first the only side effect I had was exhaustion and occasional insomnia however over the past two weeks I have had tingling sensations on my scalp and bouts of vertigo and I am very scared about what this could mean I hope everyone else is doing well.

February 5, 2014 1:15 PM

Review by Joncb:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best.

January 31, 2014 1:40 PM

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: My daughter is 4 and started having seizures 9 months ago. She has been on Keppra since then. Overall it has worked to control but not completely prevent her seizures. It has stopped them from spreading to her whole body but she still has them in her face about once a month even though her dose has been increased several times and she is now taking 7 mls twice a day. The side effects now are not as bad as when she first started this medicine. Since she has been on it however she has not had as good of an appetite and some days she wont eat at all. Her sleeping habits have been irregular as well. Some times she freaks out and starts biting anything she can. She doesn't talk so she can't tell me how she feels.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 21, 2013 5:40 PM

Review by zelskid1:

For Seizures: Had been experiencing tremors and finally had a seizure. Hospitalized, Given every test imaginable. All negative . Prescribed Keppra. Tremors gone and I believe I won't have seizures again. Dosage: 500 mg. twice daily

December 15, 2013 12:33 PM

Review by JME1980 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Epilepsy: My son is 13yrs old and has just been diagnosed with Epilepsy. He takes 1750mg of this medication daily along with 750mg of Trileptal to control his Gelastic seizures. He began the meds in May and by Aug, he was seizure free. He did complain of extreme dizziness and tiredness in the beginning, but after about 3 weeks, he was fine. Every person is different tho. Best of luck to everyone!

December 9, 2013 8:18 PM

Review by KarenHG (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: It works most of the time. I developed epilepsy when I was almost 60 years old and the first medication I took gave me horrible headaches. This works, but it also can give me diarhea and when that happens and the medicine doesn't stay in my body long enough to work, I can have mild attacks. Sometimes I have the mild, brief attacks even when the medicine stays in me.

December 2, 2013 11:10 AM

Review by Renatajbn:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate.

November 20, 2013 9:25 PM

Review by Wounded (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for : I have been taking generic Keppra 4 times a day for over 4 years. I was placed on this medication by a neurologist to help with tremor and undiagnosed illness (possibly MS). I have experienced much less tremor. I also began taking gabapentin about 2 years ago. I take 600mg daily. Between the two medications as well as a weekly injection of steroids I have found relief from my tremor as well as my undiagnosed "flare ups". I also have INO and I have many other symptoms of MS but because I have not been able to have a neurologist diagnose my symptoms I remain undiagnosed. I have had 6 MRI's and 5 CT scans. I have seen 8 neurologists and I have also had many other diagnostic tests. I hope to someday have a diagnosis.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2013 10:22 AM

Review by Jonathan's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: My son had his first seizure at 18 yrs old. He has a brain injury from birth and very mild cerebral palsy affecting his right side. Went to ER and was referred to neurologist. Did a CT scan, blood work, EEG all normal except the injury to brain which showed no changes in size or concern. Was told not to drive for three months CA law. Was put on Keppra 500mg morning and night total 1000mg. Has not had a seizure and we will be following up with the neurologist in 2 days to have his driving privileges reinstated with DMV. Very hard for him not being able to drive and having someone else do it. Regarding side affects none. Has taken medicine every day. Neurologist did say we will re evaluate stopping the medicne in 2ys.

November 9, 2013 2:59 PM

Review by Friday 13th (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizures: Currently taking this medication also. Have told my doctor about side effects. Told me that "I must be taking it at the wrong". I had to show him issues from manufacture and from pharmacy. Changed dosages from twice a day to only once, but I have to eat a lot to get rid of the dizziness each morning. Feel that my issues were caused by drop in glucose levels, but doctor has stated that would not cause this also....

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2013 5:00 PM

Review by Newport620 (taken for less than 1 month):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I was given one dose of keppra as a precaution because I had a "spell" that I'm not sure was a seizure or just a bad anxiety attack. It made be feel dreadful: dizzy, depressed, weepy, spaced out. It's been nearly 36 hours since I took it and I'm still feeling not quite right. Horrible stuff. I had an EEG and it was normal. I wish the doctor had waited with the med until the results of the EEG, CatScan and MRI.

November 1, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by 5455T (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Seizures: I had two seizures prior to removal of a benign right frontal lobe brain tumor. I was initially placed on Keppra 1000 mg 2x/day. After a year, I went down to 750 mg and the following year 500 mg. My neurologist will keep me at 500 mg until I am 4 1/2 years from my surgery when he will take me to 250 mg for the final 6 months. At that point, he says I am just as likely to have a seizure as someone who has never had a seizure. I have no side effects from Keppra, but am looking forward to my 5 year mark when I will no longer have to take medication.

October 19, 2013 3:01 PM

Review by Kitty rea:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening.

August 26, 2013 7:29 PM

Review by Lizzeh (taken for less than 1 month):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I just had my third seizure and I was switched from Topamax to Keppra. I find that this medicine makes me hyper and then extremely tired. I am 18 years of age and I experience the depression side effect and almost all of the side effects. Really wanting to find a right balance.

July 28, 2013 12:33 AM

Review by JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects.

July 20, 2013 8:52 AM