User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Roweepra, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Neuralgia 3 reviews 29 medications

Bipolar Disorder 5 reviews 33 medications

6.2
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 197 reviews 7.2

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I was prescribed Keppra 5/3/16 after a Grand Mal at work and an abnormal EEG. I had been having absence seizures for many years, this was my first major. I am having some pretty bad side effects including dizziness, weakness, extreme fatigue, anger, agitation, and depression. It is tough because I am a single mom and have to work but I go to work and just sit there because I can't concentrate and don't feel like moving. I am still only taking 250mg in the morning and 250 in the evening. I was directed to move to 500 in the morning and 500 in the evening after 3 days but I just don't feel like I can handle it. I feel so hopeless and hope that the side effects will subside"

topsoil May 13, 2016

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I starting having seizures after a car accident when I was 18 (now 28). I was told by neurologists that may be the reason for the "trigger" of my epilepsy. I had 3 t-c seizures before being put on the max dosage of 1500mg 2x daily of the keppra. The side effects listed with the drugs usually happen to me but it wasn't hard to handle. Keppra worked for 2 years for the most part. Then it stopped. I began to have night time seizures, then partials, auras, memory loss, anxiety, double vision. You name it it was happening and it still is. I am now with a seizure specialist taking 3 different seizure medications and an anti anxiety as needed. 15 pills. Still having t-c, complex-partials, and partials with all the side effects. Can't work now."

MCHammy May 6, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Within a week suffered suicidal thoughts psychosis hallucinations rages and self harming acts!"

Keppra Sensitive (taken for less than 1 month) April 15, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Our daughter was diagnosed 7 yrs ago and is now10 . She has tonic clonic and partial seizures sometimes out to 15 in one day bless her . We've tried epilim which was great for about 4 yrs the they crept back up so we tried tegratol and lamotragine together. They didn't work at all , so now she's on keppra. After just 3 days she had fits and was very happy girl . ( she has severe developmental delay) so it is hard to judge how she is feeling , but now she isn't eating and seems very very aggressive, we don't know what to do for the best?!?!?!?!"

Nessquick (taken for less than 1 month) April 13, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I love this stuff, once we got the seizures under control with correct dose for me, I have had NO side effects, and my headaches stopped"

Penny Coleman 37 April 12, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed with epilepsy at 25 and have been taking generic Keppra for 2.5 years. I started the drug to control grand mal seizures. It has been largely effective at controlling the seizures (I've only experienced two since starting the meds). However, the side effects are less than ideal. I originally experienced intense feelings of anger and depression and would break down on a nightly basis. I tried taking the recommended B6 supplement and experienced little to no relief. My short term memory suffered horribly and I'm able to recall very little of the first year in which I started taking the medication. I now take Zoloft to combat some of the side effects but still experience feelings of anger, depression, fatigue, and memory loss."

Becky L (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 10, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My 11 year old son was given Keppra due to a dual concussion that lead to seizures in 4/2010. He hated the way it made him feel. His neurologist put him on extended release Keppra which cause him to loose 30 pounds within a 3 month span. He was rushed to the hospital due to high sugar - 564 dl. In ICU, he was given Keppra at night, during his sleep, his heart rate would slow down to 50 and set off the heart monitors all night. The cardiologist said there was nothing wrong with his heart after running numerous test. The medication compromised his system, caused Type 1 diabetes and triggered irregular heart beats. I weened him off Keppra against doctors wishes 10/2010. He has had no seizures since, but still has Type I, he is 17 yrs ."

Rebecca Smyser (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 4, 2016

For Epilepsy: "I had a heart attack and had a stent which led to a stroke and the need for brain surgery. Miraculously, I was saved by a young neurological surgeon. Seizures followed but the recovery the first 3 months on a lot of different medication made the outlook positive. Medication was lowered and I started experiencing what we feared were TIAs but was finally diagnosed as a form of epilepsy. The first medications did not work well until I have been on Levetiractam for 6 months and everything has improved a lot during that period including memory and mood. I do have the sleepiness at night but not a problem."

Anonymous March 3, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I've been on every seizure medication invented. Keppera or genetic Levatiraacetam is by far the worst one I've been on. The side effects have ruined my life. I gained over 45 pounds the first year on it. I am now almost 70 pounds heavier than I was before I started taking the medication. I can't work anymore because I have severe depression, anxiety & insomnia. I tell people off for the craziest things & am super paranoid all the time. Despite the that I take antidepressants, anxiety & sleeping meds. I used to be a terrific nurse, winning awards & receiving all kinds of gratitude. Now I can no longer do anything. I am terrified to leave the house, take a shower, clean or go anywhere. I have no life, I just exist. Can't wait to get off this!"

Jenna C. (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 23, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My brother had a tumor 15 yrs ago removed after having a seizure. Takes 1000mg keppra a day. He has mood swings, diarrea if he does eat b4 so, and delusional. Still effective. I started having anxiety attacks n seizures at 24yrs of age. Neurologist perscribed me keppra 500mg daily and 2mg xanax a day when needed, usually I break xanax into pieces as u can because they have little bars to do so. I don't have any side effects besides feeling sleepy at the end of the day. I don't take xanax til after work at the end of the day as xanax does makes me sleepy. Keppra deserves 10 for me. But my brother rates it 7. Every one is different. I know this is for keppra but XANAX is not for anyone a lot of people can't handle the drug and can't control themselves let doc determine."

RyanB (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 16, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "After a stroke in 2005 I had seizures until starting with Keppra @ 500mg bid, now i'm up to 1000 twice a day, and haven't been bothered by any side effects at all. I'm glad that it is available as a generic, now- I use Levetiracetam, only $4 a month as opposed to the $720 a month Keppra was until recently."

Coffee luver February 3, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was diagnosed at 13 years old with grand mal seizures due to my period. Was put on Keppra 250 mg twice a day. I'm 21 now and still take it. It does control my seizures ( though I still get Aura's once in a while) and I have experienced all the side effects. My parents and friends will be the first to tell you how drastically I have changed from this medication. It makes you very irritable, tired, depressed, CRAZY mood swings and short tempered. Through the years, I've learned to handle it better. When I was 15 I stopped taking them to see if I grew it out of it, suggested by my neuro, and had 3 seizures in 3 days. Have been taking it every day ever since. Keeps me to live a normal life, like drive a car and go to school!"

Anonymous January 30, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I wish I could tell you what it is like after my husband STOPS taking Keprra. For my husband and I this has been worse than his hit to the head. Major mood swings,can't sleep, can't eat, anxiety and more. It has been horrible. The thing is everybody is different, but if you are taking Keppra and these are happening to you speak with your doctor asap and try something else. It has been hard!!!!"

Anonymous January 28, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "A doctor first diagnosed me as bipolar in 2007. My mania was out of control from about 2009-2014. Incidentally, I had two seizures in 2014 and started taking Keppra. I have noticed the Keppra has also made a difference in controlling mania. I hope this works for others also. I had to mention it because I would not have taken Keppra had it not been for the seizures. I have not had any bad side effects with Keppra."

So and So (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 24, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I have jerky events that have not technically been epilepsy, but it runs throughout my mom's side of the family and I have just started keppra at 2000mg a day. I have been on topamax for a couple years now and my doc added keppra in conjunction with 300mg topamax a day, since only 400mg of topamax a day was not working and the side effects of memory loss and painful pins/needles were too awful to deal with. Keppra so far has only made me feel a zonked and not too hungry, but my memory is coming back which I am happy about. I also have not had event. I am sure the zombieness will wear off with some time."

Anonymous January 18, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Falling asleep most of the day and feeling zonked out, they do help but there must be a kinder drug they could use on us. Also I am grumpy but then that could be me. xx"

Winb143 (taken for 5 to 10 years) January 16, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My last seizure was less than a month before starting keppra. I was having very bad seizures on and off for 3 years and the only thing coming up in scans done on my brain was a bit of slowing on the left side. I had tried other anti epileptic medications that weren't working and my neurologist recommended I start using keppra which was newer to the market at the time. I've been seizure free for over a year and I couldn't be happier. I got my license back a few months ago and have returned to living normally"

taymon (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 12, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Stopped seizures, caused strange behavior and severe depression."

Eli Manning January 9, 2016

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I had my first seizure in 04/04/14 whilst driving and they found that I had epilepsy. The neurologist put me on keppra. It is by far the best drug I've had to take. Initially it was a pain as I was always angry, depressed because I lost my Driving Licence and tired all the time. All I wanted to do was sleep. However, once it took this medication after 6 months, the side effects wore off and I was getting back to my old self again. Happy and all that. I once forgot to take my tablets for 2 days. I had a seizure. Biggest mistake I've made. I always remember to take my tablets now. I'm fit free now. Please take your tablets. They do help."

Ronakm1987 December 16, 2015

For Epilepsy: "I have taken Keppra (levetiracetam) since January of 2007, so nearly 9 years. I was taking another seizure drug, (Tegretol), but it was causing problems with the sodium level in my blood, so my Neurologist changed me to Keppra 500 me twice a day, and I have had no further problem. I was changed to Keppra 750 2 years ago, as a precaution against any possible future seizures. I have had NO SEIZURES while taking Keppra, and would recommend it to anyone who needs seizure control."

Osteo Jo (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "doesn't seem to do much to me at all. But my family and friends say my mood has changed for the better..all I can do is keep taking them and hopefully my episodes will just completely go away ..who wants to be depressed and crying one senond then ridiculoisly happy the next .its annoying"

loralynn1981 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) November 12, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I had my first seizure February 2014 and was prescribed Keppra. I took it for a while and experienced all the symptoms as everyone else: depression, fatigue, mood swings, hallucinations, etc. You name it I had it. I had no energy and all I could do was sleep. I got tired of living like that and one day decided to stop taking them, bad move. It was fine for 4 days, I was energized and happy but on that day I had another seizure. I told my doctor and he changed my prescription to Trileptal. I have been on it since that day and the only side effect I think I have would be hair thinning."

Dia Mond (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

For Epilepsy: "i am on keppra 1000mg and 100mg yopamax daily.combination very effective but i am experiencing severe side effect like tirdness fatigue and muscle weakness.difficult attend to my daily needs"

jayantha November 8, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I am 16, I have had Juvenille Myoclonic Epilepsy for almost 2 years now and have been on keppra ever since. I experienced some weight loss, extreme depression, hallucinations, and memory loss. I've only had one other grand mal seizure while on this and I do not jerk anymore. Though it works I wish I felt alive and awake during normal daily tasks. If you can seek other medications for physiological and behavioral reasons, I suggest it."

JME girl November 1, 2015

For Epilepsy: "Ive been taking Levetiracetam for 10 years now. I take 500mg 2X daily. The first 4 years I experienced little side effects like strange sleep patterns, always tired, and a slight disruption in my ability to concentrate. My seizures were reduced to only 3-4 a year vs. 1-2 a week. In the last five years however the long term side effects have hit me hard...muscle and bone weakness, sciatica, migraines, hair loss, no energy, bouts of rage where I feel outside my body watching a mad woman ( I have always been a calm collected person who never yelled and rarely felt anger), the anger is overwhelming. Suicidal ideation, severe depression, complete lack of concentration, inability to think of words ( which is devastating for my love of writing)"

crystal1979 (taken for 10 years or more) October 29, 2015