User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Elepsia XR, Keppra, Keppra XR, Spritam

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Neuralgia 3 reviews 29 medications

6.2
Hyperekplexia 0 reviews 11 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Levetiracetam reviews 162 reviews 7.3

Reviews for Levetiracetam

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I have been on Keppra for two years and would not recommend it. Keppra greatly reduced the frequency and severity of my seizures BUT it did so at a cost. Since starting Keppra I've consistently experienced depression, anxiety, and compulsive suicidal thoughts. It has significantly impacted my quality of life in terms of mental health."

Not worth it July 29, 2015

For Seizures: "If it was possible to give this a 0, I would. I've had the hiccups for almost a year. My neurologist thinks they're "a strange presentation of clonic seizures in the brain stem". Weird, but okay. I've been on 500 mg for four days. In that time, I've lost consciousness twice, had three nosebleeds, been dizzy and lightheaded, had constant trouble breathing, had ridiculous mood swings from angry to crying in the blink of an eye, and been unable to walk a straight line. I feel drunk. It's horrible."

Rachel8293 (taken for less than 1 month) July 28, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I am 37 years old and have had Petit Mal Seizures since I was 2 Years old. My seizures were always controlled on Epival. However, this drug isn't safe during pregnancy so my Dr prescribed me Keppra (500mg) before we staring to try for a baby. Keppra works well for me to control the Petit Mal Seizures. However, it has really bad side effects. It made me extremely tired and quite moody. The worse part about this medication it caused me to have 2 Grand Mal Seizures (10w and 18 w). Before these 2 seizures I have never had a Grand Mal before. I am now off of Keppra and on Lamotrigine and feel great. I have energy and feel like myself again. Best of all no Grand Mal seizures!"

CKLADY (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I had my first seizure when I was 13 years old. It scared my parents and I to death. After that I started experiancing seizures every month. Almost all of my seizures (except 3) have happened while I am asleep. I am 29 now and all the EEGs and EKGs come back normal. I have been taking Keppra now for 6 months and I have not had any Grand Mal seizures. I take 1000 mg everynight after dinner and I make it a point to get at least 7 hours of sleep every night. I have not experienced any mood swings or depression. The good definitely out ways the bad.... Many blessings"

Chris956 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was on 1500mg of Keppra (generic) for partial seizures that progressed into a grand mal seizure. Immediately upon starting the meds, I noticed that things were different. I felt disconnected from myself, trouble with attention, word finding, coordination, mood, working and longterm memory. However, I was seizure free and I needed to drive so I pushed through, not enjoying my life as much and making terrible social decisions. Finally after 4 years, my neurologist is helping me wean off so that I can start a family without worry. I am down to 250mg a day and WHOA my whole life is changing. I feel centered, even, connected. I am so sad about how I was living my life on Keppra. Don't ruin your life "

JJ40 June 29, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I've been on keppra for about a year now. I am not the same person I use to be. I have lost motivation to do anything. I can't retain information. I introduce myself to people I already know because I can't remember anything even things I learned years ago. The worst part is I still have seizures. They just keep increasing the dose. I'm up to 1500mg twice a day."

Jontabor June 18, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My daughter just started this medicine and she is still having seizures. Before the seizures were not happening during the as often, now it is happening more frequently. I still yet to see any real good results..."

Alfmann June 16, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My husband is 35 yrs old and had his first seizure in 03/15 right before a medical procedure for a shot in his back due to pain. He has an extreme phobia of needles and seized before they did the procedure for his back. The doctors believe it was due to extreme stress but then a month and a half later while at work he had another seizure. The neurologist started him on Keppra and he has been on it for a little over a month. He hasn't experienced another seizure but the medication is making him extremely depressed, he seems drunk/high from it, can't walk straight, speech is slurred, eyes glossy, memory loss. I don't even feel like he is even my husband anymore because it has made him so spacey."

WorriedinCO June 5, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I'm 63 now using Keppra (levetiracetam) 500 mg has been a good choice by my neurologist for approximately 5 yrs. I take 750 mg at bed time and it has worked well. My insurance covers Keppra but levetiracetam is more affordable and has worked for me."

With Prayer May 18, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I began using generic Zeppra in 10/14 after four seizures, 500 mg in the am and pm. There were abnormalities in my EEG. No seizures but very sleepy and sluggish during the day and weight gain. Neurologist changed medication one Zeppra extended release three weeks ago and now I'm losing my hair. I'm calling the neurologist to see what we can do."

Mariel's April 12, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I hate this medication! Yes it controls my seizures but it makes me a horrible human being. It causes me to be mean, moody, and angry.I would almost rather have the seizures than have these horrible side effects. next neurologist appointment I am begging for a different medication. And not dilantin or gabapentin either. Both those have given me nasty side effects as well.but what works for one does not necessarily mean it will work for another. Good luck to those of you who are taking this medication. I pray that the side effects are not as bad for you as they were for me."

Kris78 April 9, 2015

For Epilepsy: "I had 4 grand mal seizures in a week and was prescribed the generic Keppra, Levetiracetam. At first I had no appetite what so ever and lost about 20lbs after taking it for a month. I also had extreme constipation that required another visit to the ER. However, once being on the medication for a couple months, I started to get my appetite back, but I craved different foods, mostly healthy foods, instead of the food I use to eat. I also take vitamin D, B and folic acid, which I think has significantly improved my mood. I feel after some adjusting this medication improved my mood, stopped my seizures, lessened my anxiety and changed my eating habits. I will say I have an aversion to meat. I can hardly stand to look at red meat."

RC25 March 24, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I'm over 65 male, in my youth I suffered several head injuries some of these were diagnosed as concussion. I was involved in a motor accident in 2000 with a severe head injury. Soon thereafter I started to have auras followed by migraines. In 2010 I started having mycolonic jerks that would awaken me at 3/4 times at night. In 2013 the jerks became so severe I visited a neurosurgeon, after scans etc I was diagnosed with Partial Epilepsy. In march 2014 I had a seizure in my sleep. Taken to hospital and put on Keppra by the neurosurgeon.I take 750mg at night and 500 in the morning. Auras and migraines have decreased,but my mood swings have been getting worse,changed personality, overreaction,I feel like I'm bipolar its affecting my marriage."

New Peronality February 21, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I was having difficulty getting diagnosed because I was not having grand mal seizures. I was, however, having about 80 simple partial seizures a month for 10 years straight. We thought maybe anxiety. Nothing was picked up on scans cause it was impossible for me to know exactly when it would happen, so it was never happening while scans were performed. Finally, 10 years later, they turned into grand mals. I started on Keppra 2 years ago and have not had a single seizure since. 3500mg daily. To go from 80 a month to NONE at all... This stuff had given me my life back. And no side effects for me!"

April S (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 13, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I'm 55/ male and recently experienced a seizure during a visit at an MD clinic upon falling from the cart I was on and striking my head, I then had a subsequent episode two weeks later. I was started on Keppra 500mg twice daily, It has now been almost a week and since starting my appetite has tanked, I have had profound anxiety attacks,and insomnia along with occasional emotional lability, Also ataxia when walking. Don't know if I wanted to continue this, but will speak with my neurologist next week."

Greg1110 (taken for less than 1 month) January 4, 2015

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My daughter was put on Keppra when she was 14 months old & she walked like she was drunk after she started on it. The doctor said not to ever give her Keppra again!!"

Triplett77 November 21, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I'm 25 had my first seizure at 24 and have now had my 4th seizure 11/11/14. I went against the doctor with taking medication as I had and EEG done and came up clear so thought it wouldn't be to serious. However now having 4 seizure I've started taking Keppra twice a day. I haven't been tired by the medication and still able to work well. However I'm starting to be early angered and annoyed and moody. What I would normally get swept under the carpet is now agitating me. I'm not enjoying it as I feel like being left alone and in my own space. "

Norbryn (taken for less than 1 month) November 19, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "No noticeable side effects. Except maybe for bowel movement."

Molly76 (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 16, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "I have taken Keppra for the last 8 yrs. I take 6-500mg pills and 3-100mg pills a day. It has worked very well for me. I did have a Grand-Mal Seizure a few months back. It was the worst I ever had. They did a blood level on me and my blood level was Therapeutic, Meaning normal. It is a good medicine to take. But like any other medicine it has it's off days. I do recommend it though."

J.M.P (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 4, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for : "I started seizures at 55. I am Bipolar, difficult to treat, rapid cycling I take a low dosage of Keppra and Lamictal. The side effect went away after finally got the right dose. And thank God I'm finally getting off the carousel. VERY IMPORTANT: I can't take the generics. I got squared around on name brand and went through hell with generics. I don't care what they say generics on my brain had me swinging everywhere because some work, others don't. Since on name brand only. I'm doing great. Good luck all."

SharonmsD (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 21, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Neuralgia: "Used Keppra for 1.5 years now and really helped relieve my occipital neuralgia. It gave me a slight headache but this is now gone too with the help from the Feverfew herb. Keppra helped me live without pain."

Anonymous August 21, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: "After having seizures for reg every 8 days or so for 55 years on many different anticonvulsants, I was given Keppra, 3000mg daily and for the last 10 years have been free from seizures with no side effects whatever. This medication has changed my life around."

Maggie w (taken for 10 years or more) August 7, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "Started about 1 week ago. Was fine then all of sudden I started feeling really tired, restless. Nothing unusual. Now I have no appetite. Spaced out majority of the day. My mood swings are through the roof. And tonight I had a nightmare. Calling my doctor to see what to do."

DarthDerwin (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "My 8 year old was put on Keppra for complex partial seizures. Except for some initial tiredness in the first two weeks she has had no side effects. She takes 250mg twice a day. She even won her age group in a 1mile race two weeks ago and her competitive soccer team won their soccer tournament this weekend thanks to some of the goals she scored. I have noticed no difference in her school work or personality. I am so thankful for this medicine that my daughter can continue her active life seizure free."

Soccerfamily July 15, 2014

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: "I am from Bahrain. My daughter is 4 years old, she got grand mal seizures and doctors prescribed her Keppra syrup (oral). Since 18 days no seizure but we feel side effects like mood changes and one time she had minor rashes appeared on her face but it went after 3 days. So far we are happy with Keppra and I hope and pray that it will treat her epilepsy."

Father of Ayesha (taken for less than 1 month) June 6, 2014