User Reviews for Levetiracetam

Also known as: Keppra, Keppra XR

Learn more about Levetiracetam.

Bipolar Disorder 3 reviews 48 medications

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Neuralgia: I

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 23, 2014 8:39 PM
Review by Brandonnnnnnn (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I had my first seizure over 3 years ago at the age of 23. Upon receiving a MRI scan I learned that I had a brain tumor called pleomorfic xantro Astro sytoma. After having it removed I was put on Keppra XR 1500mg twice a day and have been seizure free ever since. However recently I have been having new side effects appear. At first the only side effect I had was exhaustion and occasional insomnia however over the past two weeks I have had tingling sensations on my scalp and bouts of vertigo and I am very scared about what this could mean I hope everyone else is doing well.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 5, 2014 1:15 PM
Review by Joncb: User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I was diagnosed with epilepsy when I was 23. I am now 35 I was put on Tegretol 500mg twice a day. For 2 years my life was a nightmare I still got seizures and double vision everyday. I was then prescribed 500mg of Keppra twice daily along with the Tegretol. The double vision went completely and I found that I only have 1 or 2 seizures max a year, this is usually because of lack of sleep or forgetting to take my medicines. Yes I find my attention span is not great sometimes along with tiredness and mood swings. The positives for me outweigh the negatives. Good luck in finding what suits you best.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 31, 2014 1:40 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: My daughter is 4 and started having seizures 9 months ago. She has been on Keppra since then. Overall it has worked to control but not completely prevent her seizures. It has stopped them from spreading to her whole body but she still has them in her face about once a month even though her dose has been increased several times and she is now taking 7 mls twice a day. The side effects now are not as bad as when she first started this medicine. Since she has been on it however she has not had as good of an appetite and some days she wont eat at all. Her sleeping habits have been irregular as well. Some times she freaks out and starts biting anything she can. She doesn't talk so she can't tell me how she feels.

December 21, 2013 5:40 PM
Review by zelskid1: User Rating:

levetiracetam for Seizures: Had been experiencing tremors and finally had a seizure. Hospitalized, Given every test imaginable. All negative . Prescribed Keppra. Tremors gone and I believe I won't have seizures again. Dosage: 500 mg. twice daily

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 15, 2013 12:33 PM
Review by JME1980 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

levetiracetam for Epilepsy: My son is 13yrs old and has just been diagnosed with Epilepsy. He takes 1750mg of this medication daily along with 750mg of Trileptal to control his Gelastic seizures. He began the meds in May and by Aug, he was seizure free. He did complain of extreme dizziness and tiredness in the beginning, but after about 3 weeks, he was fine. Every person is different tho. Best of luck to everyone!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 9, 2013 8:18 PM
Review by KarenHG (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: It works most of the time. I developed epilepsy when I was almost 60 years old and the first medication I took gave me horrible headaches. This works, but it also can give me diarhea and when that happens and the medicine doesn't stay in my body long enough to work, I can have mild attacks. Sometimes I have the mild, brief attacks even when the medicine stays in me.

December 2, 2013 11:10 AM
Review by Renatajbn: User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I had surgery for a benign brain tumor over 8 yrs. ago; Gamma Knife radiation surgery 3 yrs. ago. The Gamma Knife surgery left me with scar tissue that caused me to have my first partial seizure. This required me to remain on seizure medication, levetiracetam. To prevent recurrent seizures, I was on a dose of 1,000 mg./ 2x's day. I was on this dosage for over 2 yrs. No seizures, but side effects crept up slowly: bad memory loss, difficulty finding words, fatigue, weight gain. Then, the intolerable ones: deep depression, mood swings, crazy flip-out anger. It just kept getting worse, until I couldn't wait to get off of it! My doctor called it the "Keppra Rage". I guess this is well- known side effect that I could not tolerate.

November 20, 2013 9:25 PM
Review by Wounded (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam): I have been taking generic Keppra 4 times a day for over 4 years. I was placed on this medication by a neurologist to help with tremor and undiagnosed illness (possibly MS). I have experienced much less tremor. I also began taking gabapentin about 2 years ago. I take 600mg daily. Between the two medications as well as a weekly injection of steroids I have found relief from my tremor as well as my undiagnosed "flare ups". I also have INO and I have many other symptoms of MS but because I have not been able to have a neurologist diagnose my symptoms I remain undiagnosed. I have had 6 MRI's and 5 CT scans. I have seen 8 neurologists and I have also had many other diagnostic tests. I hope to someday have a diagnosis.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 14, 2013 10:22 AM
Review by Jonathan's mom (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: My son had his first seizure at 18 yrs old. He has a brain injury from birth and very mild cerebral palsy affecting his right side. Went to ER and was referred to neurologist. Did a CT scan, blood work, EEG all normal except the injury to brain which showed no changes in size or concern. Was told not to drive for three months CA law. Was put on Keppra 500mg morning and night total 1000mg. Has not had a seizure and we will be following up with the neurologist in 2 days to have his driving privileges reinstated with DMV. Very hard for him not being able to drive and having someone else do it. Regarding side affects none. Has taken medicine every day. Neurologist did say we will re evaluate stopping the medicne in 2ys.

November 9, 2013 2:59 PM
Review by Friday 13th (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

levetiracetam for Seizures: Currently taking this medication also. Have told my doctor about side effects. Told me that "I must be taking it at the wrong". I had to show him issues from manufacture and from pharmacy. Changed dosages from twice a day to only once, but I have to eat a lot to get rid of the dizziness each morning. Feel that my issues were caused by drop in glucose levels, but doctor has stated that would not cause this also....

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 5, 2013 5:00 PM
Review by Newport620 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I was given one dose of keppra as a precaution because I had a "spell" that I'm not sure was a seizure or just a bad anxiety attack. It made be feel dreadful: dizzy, depressed, weepy, spaced out. It's been nearly 36 hours since I took it and I'm still feeling not quite right. Horrible stuff. I had an EEG and it was normal. I wish the doctor had waited with the med until the results of the EEG, CatScan and MRI.

November 1, 2013 5:29 PM
Review by 5455T (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

levetiracetam for Seizures: I had two seizures prior to removal of a benign right frontal lobe brain tumor. I was initially placed on Keppra 1000 mg 2x/day. After a year, I went down to 750 mg and the following year 500 mg. My neurologist will keep me at 500 mg until I am 4 1/2 years from my surgery when he will take me to 250 mg for the final 6 months. At that point, he says I am just as likely to have a seizure as someone who has never had a seizure. I have no side effects from Keppra, but am looking forward to my 5 year mark when I will no longer have to take medication.

October 19, 2013 3:01 PM
Review by Kitty rea:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: Been on Keppra for 1 month. No seizures but very tired, depressed and angry. 500mg morning, 500mg evening.

August 26, 2013 7:29 PM
Review by Lizzeh (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I just had my third seizure and I was switched from Topamax to Keppra. I find that this medicine makes me hyper and then extremely tired. I am 18 years of age and I experience the depression side effect and almost all of the side effects. Really wanting to find a right balance.

July 28, 2013 12:33 AM
Review by JJHarvey (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: Started taking Keppa (750mg twice daily) alongside Lamictal (250mg twice daily) as the latter medicine was not 100% efficient to control partial seizures. Although the Keppra seems to have stopped the seizures completely, there are many side effects to be aware of. Drowsiness, tiredness and irritability/moodiness are extremely common, so that is often a downer, especially when you're trying to enjoy yourself. Depression is difficult to identify as dwelling on the side effects on the leaflet only makes you feel worse! Overall, an effective medicine for treating epilepsy but I had many bad side effects.

July 20, 2013 8:52 AM
Review by maceygray (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I have been on Keppra for 10 months. After 45 years on Dilantin my liver was being poisoned. Dilantin worked as far as controlling seizures. Keppra has worked so far but I have insomnia and no appetite.

July 16, 2013 7:31 AM
Review by Saab97 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: The only few problems consists of drowsiness which is better than having seizures. Another important issue is dosing. You most take every days worth or it can lead to an aura or a full fledged seizure which can effect drivers licences (loss of 2 years).

June 24, 2013 7:31 AM
Review by Marriage Doc (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: After EEG showed seizure activity, Neurologist started me on 500mg/day Keppra. At the 4 hr mark, I felt very spaced out. Couldn't think, hazy, slurring speech, lethargic, etc. Neuro suggested I start taking at night, so that I could "sleep through" the odd feeling. Now, I WAKE up at the 4 hr mark... on the dot, every single night. I still feel spaced out, and find it hard to get comfortable and fall back asleep. Takes me about an hour to fall back asleep. Sleep disturbances cause me to feel tired during day.

May 28, 2013 12:34 PM
Review by Sarief (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

levetiracetam for Seizures: Focal seizure

May 2, 2013 3:18 AM
Review by ILHAM (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Keppra XR (levetiracetam) for Seizures: Partial seizure

May 2, 2013 3:17 AM
Review by NDfan (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: 46 yr old male. Over 3 month period experienced 3 auras and finally the first seizure in January '13. Prescribed Keppra by neurologist. 500mg x2 daily. Not a hint of seizure activity since being placed on this medicine. However, I do experience some tiredness (mild). Otherwise leading a very normal life style.

April 30, 2013 8:51 PM
Review by EKR15 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Epilepsy: I started taking Keppra 500MG twice a day 2 weeks ago after being hospitalized for a tonic-clonic seizure lasting about a half hour. Since I started taking the 500MG, I used to fall asleep for more than 8 hours at a time. I've gotten a few headaches, but nothing as serious as the ones I used to get before. My reaction/talking/thinking time was definitely slowed down, but its improved a lot. The first week I used to sleep the whole night through, now its reversed where I can't stay asleep all night. I noticed my mood has changed and mostly for the worse (angry all the time). Really frustrating to adjust to but hoping for the best. Seizure-free so far!

March 28, 2013 2:05 PM
Review by Letharn: User Rating:

levetiracetam for New Daily Persistent Headache: Great medicine for daily migraines. Works really well with Zanaflex.

March 22, 2013 8:12 PM
Review by Ponyo: User Rating:

Keppra (levetiracetam) for Seizures: I'm French and am 28 years old. I had my first seizure in 2009. My neurologist gave me Lamotrigine for 2 years, from 100mg daily at the beginning to 400mg at the end. The frequency of seizures has been reduced but I still had some. I arrived in USA in 2011 and my new neurologist prescribed me Keppra because I wanted to have a new medication, more efficient. I take 500mg twice daily. I don't have any seizure since I started this medication, so more than one year now. I'm very satisfied so far, but of course I have side effects and it's sometimes very difficult to deal with. I'm very tired all day long, I need to sleep at least 8 hours every night. I'm like bipolar, sometimes euphoric, sometimes very depressed. I'm a different person now.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2013 6:48 PM