User Reviews for Oxybutynin

Also known as: Anturol, Ditropan, Ditropan XL, Gelnique, Oxytrol, Oxytrol for Women, Urotrol

Learn more about Oxybutynin.

Oxybutynin Rating Summary

7.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 8 medications used in the treatment of Hyperhidrosis.

Reviews for Oxybutynin to treat Hyperhidrosis

"This condition came from no where I never had any problems with sweating at all so 4 years ago when I turned 30 is when it all started, usually when I was out in public I would get anxious and start sweating I'd just want the earth to open up and swallow me it was so embarrassing. I went to see my doctor and a specialist and got a medical roll on and prescribed oxybutynin, the sweating stopped under my arms but started on my face and head. It's really affected my social life as I don't want to go places because of this condition. The pills have definitely helped don't get me wrong they've just not stopped the sweating completely."

Pistol Pete !!! (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 7, 2016

"I was prescribed oxybutynin Yesterday, the quality of my life has greatly improved, no more sweating and I can focus on job and talk to other people without any worries. Though mouth is just a bit dry, not a big effect. At least I have felt normal for once in my life just like everybody else, hope this great trend continues."

JackOji February 5, 2016

"Just got a prescription today. Took it at 2 pm walked outside in the sun, came back into the office, perspired a little but nothing like I used to. It's now 4 pm my office is at 80 degrees by now I'd have my tower fan at max but for the sake of testing if it works, I've turned it off. So far it's working my sweat isn't as bad. I do feel a little delirious kind of like taking morning Cold Medicine , allergy medicine, or balloon head best describes it. After suffering all my life with Hyperhydrosis and seeing it pass onto my nephew and nieces the pros far out weigh the cons. I'm a believer that it work for me. Sorry for the grammatical errors I wanted to share as soon as I could. SP"

Sonopsis October 21, 2015

"I had hyperhydrosis for years and I couldn't even drive because my hands would sweat so much I couldn't grip the wheel. My hyperhydrosis was generalized all over. I was put on rubinol forte for this... The sweats stopped within HOURS of the first dose. I now take 3mg in the morning and 3 mg at night. This drug is an antichollergenic which is why it works. If oxybutin isn't making you 100% dry, try rubinol instead. I was to the point where I was so uncomfortable in my own skin after two years of looking like I'd just had a shower all the time, I considered suicide. I tried hyoscyamine before rubinol. Which did NOTHING. Please look up rubinol on this same site drugs.com. It is prescribed for ibs, but it's side effect will stop your sweats in their tracks"

Ashley hnicole October 3, 2015

"My hyperhidrosis condition started when I finished high school. I've tried everything under the sun for this terrible condition and noting seemed to work, not even botox. It has hindered my work and social life as well. I was always ashamed from the profuse sweating and the looks I'd get from people made sweat even more. While searching for new cure for hyperhidrosis I found this forum. After reading all of the positives and negative reviews I decided to give it a try. I made an appointment with my doctor and asked her for 15mg of oxybutynin she looked puzzled but I explained to her that this could be a inexpensive therapy. She agreed to send me the EX version and it has changed my life around for the better. No sweating wow!"

Andy28 September 22, 2015

"I have been on this a couple of months as directed by my surgeon ( one 5mg a day) and I am still soaking all my clothes, mainly back, buttocks, thighs, torso, and underarms. I even have to wear disposable incontinence panties - as the sweat just pours into regular ones and leaves wet marks on seats if I don't. (I am 40 - so it's not a big deal for me to wear them) I had the surgery (2008) for cranial, facial sweating, and it was marvellous. Now in 2015 - my head and face are still sweat free - while the compensatory sweating is out of control. I drink many litres of water a day, but with the amount of sweat I produce, I have to keep drinking or my throat and mouth get so dry that food sticks in it. Waiting word for surgery number two"

Katie Haward, UK (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

"On it for almost 2 weeks. First week tried 15mg (2 at night and 1 around 2pm). Had huge improvement on head sweats by the end of the week 7/10, feet was a bit better 4/10 although noticed was getting drowsy / lowering of my heart rate during the day. Opted to do just 10mg (2 at night) and side effects much better and sweating issue still getting better. Feet still a bit warm although not the dripping mess they were. Social and professional impact 10/10 so is looking like a definite alternative to the ETS knife. Hoping feet will improve over the coming weeks!"

DonnyDarco July 26, 2015

"I have been on the medication for nearly ten years and it has changed my life! However if I miss a dose the sweating comes back. I take two a night because it makes me extremely drowsy. Another side effect I have noticed is that it can make me feel anxious. But overall its the only thing that controls my hands and feet from sweating!"

Jesshappy June 23, 2015

"I still sweat more than the average person but it is decreased enough soo can wear normal clothing and not sweat through them everyday"

Alexb27 June 17, 2015

"This medicine just changed my life. I had excessive sweating all over my body specially my face, underarms, and hands. It was interfering with my social life and affecting my job/ career. I developed an anxiety from my sweating and I lost hope because I tried everything until I was prescribed this medicine. Its a miracle. I got my life back. Thanks God"

Peter Mark June 5, 2015

"I first noticed my excessive sweating in high school, and it was mainly triggered by social anxiety, but even the most minimal amounts of exercise (walking home from the bus stop after school) would leave me sweating more than most. It wasn't until this year that I started on this medication, and so far it been amazing, I no longer worry about patches under my arms or between my thighs, I don't have to wipe my hands on my pants before shaking someones hands, and I can do more in terms of movement before I start sweating. Side effects I've noticed are that my face goes red when I move a little more than normal- although that's mainly due to my level of fitness, and a dry mouth. It really has worked and I'm so glad to have found a solution!"

oxybutynin supporter (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 2, 2015

"So far only been on oxybutynin for a week no signs of sweating stopping as yet, I got put on 2.5mg for 2 days b4 bed, then 5mg for 2 days now I'm on 7.5mg, I'll go up to 10 mg tomorrow and leave it there hopefully it'll soon work, I do have dry mouth, that's it at moment, I've suffered with sweating 20 yrs, I've had my family etc,as I'm getting older the sweating is knocking my confidence as my face drips n my hair does, sweating is all over but I find it more embarrassing when it's my face and hair ,plus in winter I dress like it's summer I'd rather freeze than sweat but as soon as come in from the outside I sweat bad, I've just set up working for myself n couple my customers have asked if I'm ok because of the sweat I felt ashamed."

sallyjburton (taken for less than 1 month) June 1, 2015

"I actually had the ETS surgery done about 12 years ago and everything was fine UNTIL I started sweating all over my chair, back, legs and inner thighs. It's soooo embarrassing living in FL dealing with this. It caused me to stop wearing any light color clothing (which I loved). As soon as I took my first half of the 5mg I noticed a relief. I did sweat a little being outside, however I was not drenched. I took to other half before bedtime (as directed) and only side effect I am noticing is the dry lips and mouth. But so worth it. I sure hope and pray that this is my lifelong solution!"

Sweaty Bettyy March 31, 2015

"I have suffered with severe hyperhidrosis (palmar, plantar, and axillary) since birth and was diagnosed at a very young age when I broke out with a heat rash all over my hands and feet. Thankfully, I have outgrew the rashes but unfortunately not the sweat. I have tried Drysol, Iontophoresis, Botox injections, Glycopyrrolate, and Oxybutynin (as well as extended release versions of the last two medications). I feel safe to say that two 5mg tabs of Oxybutynin at nighttime has worked best for me. I have been taking Oxybutynin since 2005--nearly 10 years now and it still is holding up pretty well. Side effects that I experience: dehydration, dizziness and weakness."

mlouwho (taken for 10 years or more) October 28, 2014

"I was a social leper, suffering with a most severe bout of hyperhydrosis; Oxybutynin prolonged-release tablets have totally transformed my life."

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 9, 2014

"I've been on 10 mg ER for 2 weeks. It is a MIRACLE! I've had super sweats for 14 years of misery due to autoimmune disorders. I am now pinching myself because I went to a new dermatologist who prescribed this. Now, I get to live a normal life!"

Steppiemum August 27, 2014

"I have been on Oxybutynin for hyperdydrosis since September of 2013. It has changed my life. I went to Mexico this past December and was amazed at how much less was sweating I had. Prior, I was becoming a recluse as it was so embarrassing to go out in public. My air conditioner ran non-stop all summer! Every now and then I "break" out in a sweat, but it is mild and not a big deal. The one side effect I have with it, is that `after taking 2 x 5mg a day I get extremely tired and feel kind of like I am "out of it". I now take it at bedtime, as it actually helps me fall asleep quicker (I had terrible insomnia as well). Mouth is very dry, but it has forced me to increase my water intake, which is good anyway. This is such a relief!"

MISS MOPPET (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I just got put on this at a 5 mg 3x a day and today was my first dose I pray this is the answer cause feeling sweaty and there's nothing you can do to stop makes me feel nasty I cant even stand for my Husband to hug or touch me and god forbid I go into a public place it's embarrassing I read the success stories and I hope it works for me like them ! Thank you all for your input"

sweaty and cant stand it (taken for less than 1 month) October 31, 2013

"I started using this on September 2010, and it has been the solution I thought I'd never find. Over sweating even during winter, was such a embarrassing thing in public situations, sweaty palms, on my face and on other areas of my body. Yes, there are side effects, it makes my mouth and other areas including my skin very dry. I increase my liquid intake, and chew a gum now and then to counteract the total dryness. Along with using a regular lotion like cocoa butter before bed. It also causes a bit of dizziness and zombie like feeling which taking a 2x 5mg begins about an hour after. To overcome this I just time it into my schedule where I don't anticipate doing anything of significant or demanding. This will probably sound strange to someone who does not suffer from over sweating, but for those that do, it is a worthy sacrifice."

noheat March 25, 2011

88 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been on this medication for about a month and I am so thankful for it! I am on another medication that causes me to sweat excessively; so bad that it was interfering with my daily life. My doctor wrote me a script for oxybutynin 5mg and it has worked so great to help me not sweat so much. I don't have bladder issues, but its great for people who have major sweating problems!"

Anonymous July 24, 2010

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate