User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Deblitane, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor, Sharobel

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone Rating Summary

4.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I would not recommend this pill for anyone, not any progesterone only pill. Bloating that makes me look 3 months pregnant, constipation, 50 pounds of weight gain in under 2 years that won't exercise off, skin feeling too tight all the time, headaches, fatigue, appetite is weird, constipation and diahhrea, mood swings, hot and cold flashes, and a never ending period. Medical staff all say it's normal and can't be the pill...so it's all in my head. I stopped this pill 2 nights ago and lost a third of my stomach as the bloating is decreasing. Stay away from these pills!"

DevilinTexas79 April 24, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "47, given to thin uterine lining. Can't take it, gives me all day migraines, nausea, and vomiting. :( medroxyprogesterone worked better for me because I didn't have the debilitating effects."

MHSan Diego (taken for less than 1 month) March 2, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "39/ no kids. I have always had issues with taking BC, estrogen makes me a moody, bloated beast. I was diagnosed with endo 5 years ago. Got IUD w/ hormone, worked for 2 years and I've been bleeding now off and on for months. Was just in to see my OB last week and he suggested Nora-BE. At first I was hesitant but he explained that the progesterone dosage is the same as IUD and a fraction of the hormone compared to the progesterone pills. I've taken it for a week here and there to shrink cysts. So I said ok. Took my first pill last night. Today I was more calm and patient, no appetite at all. Will post update in a few days."

Kitty1313 (taken for less than 1 month) March 1, 2016

"I am 36 years old. I was given Norethindrone because I had been having spotting/bleeding for 4 weeks but haven't gotten an actual period in nearly 2 months. My doctor gave it to me to stop the bleeding so tests can be done on me. I started taking the drug 3 days ago. So far the only side effect I noticed was a discoloration on my breasts. They aren't sore or painful, they just have a slight discoloration. It has pretty much stopped the bleeding but I still have small amounts of brown discharge when wiping after using the bathroom. I rated it an 8 because it seems to be working. I'm hoping no other side effects show up later."

Jenn Wade February 21, 2016

"So I went to my 6 week check up after having my son Doctor prescribed this because I was breast feeding long story short the first day I took it the next day I was bleeding so that following Monday the 15th I stopped taking it I'm 7 days in bleeding and I've never had an period longer than 5 days and while breast feeding my last son I didn't get a period until about 3 months . This is my first time trying birth control but I will continue to use the condom and pull out methods because I actually do want to have sex !!!!"

Hollyhotness (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I've only been on this medication 1 wk and I've gained 10lb..I haven't gained weight in over 5yrs. I'm extremely bloated, water retention, headaches and severe cramping..I want to give it a chance but I'm 42 and these symptoms aren't tolerable. I feel bipolar and on edge..I'm scatter brained and very emotional....no bueno!!!"

Anonymous January 15, 2016

Aygestin (norethindrone): "Stopped the bleeding but had dizziness and mood swings. Even one out burst of anger. Also abdominal cramps. But for one week so far 100 times better then the last 2 months of bleeding. I am 58 and use an estrogen patch. Also prometrium but not enough to balance the unopposed estrogen which caused a thickening of the lining."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2016

"Have been on this birth control for about 2 months for ovarian cysts. It has worked great at reducing the cysts on my ovary. But I literally get my period every 2 weeks and constantly have to wear a pantiliner due to constant spotting, or should I say gushing. I have noticed that I haven't been able to sleep very well or very long, which since reading other reviews, I think is due to this contraceptive. Just recently, as I had ended my second pack, my breasts and nipples became VERY sensitive and sore to the point I had to take an anti-inflammatory to reduce swelling and discomfort. I have mixed feelings about this birth control, but it has helped my cramps immensely!! So if you can get thru the breast tenderness and constant bleeding, it's AMAZING!"

Mrs. Mathis (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 4, 2016

"I have been on this pill since March, and though it's decreased my appetite, I've gotten severe acne, very bad headaches and constant bleeding to the point of becoming anemic . I'm definitely thinking of stopping it because the side effects are horrible."

Gigi77 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 21, 2015

Jolivette (norethindrone): "Omg, where to begin. Doc had me switch from Yasmin (on for over 15yrs) to Jolivette. I have been on it for 3 years (?). My symptoms have been: weight gain, inability to lose weight (very slow loss) despite 6 day workouts and calorie (low carb) control, hot flashes, night sweats, neck pain, headaches, low energy, terrible depression, insane hostile angry mood swings and constant irritability. I went to the doctor as I thought I might be in early menopause. A battery of tests and blood work came up empty. She dismissed that Jolivette was the cause. Finally, googled it and found countless forums of women in the same boat as me. It's been 3 weeks since I stopped the pill and most notably my moods has been so even no irritability at all!"

Helen Back (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 4, 2015

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I started taking this pill about six weeks ago. The first couple of weeks I had abit of bleeding but I think that was partly my fault, not taking it at exactly the same time each day but since I have and all as been well. My boobs seem quite sensitive but larger, so cannot complain. All in all I cannot fault it, no spots, headaches or noticeable weight gain as yet."

Chegmaxruby October 26, 2015

"I have experienced very abnormal menses for the past 5 years...finally after growing tired of bleeding almost every day of those 5 years I went to the OBGYN and she put me on Zarah with directions to take all pills up to 3 weeks then skip the next week. However this did not stop the menses..so she put in a Mirena and gave me Norethindrone also...I am still bleeding, I have bled every day for over 8 1/2 weeks since seeing this Doctor. I have experienced cramping, sweating, mood swings, fatigue and heavy legs at night in bed. I hope they can do something soon because I am ready to take out my uterus!! this Insane constant bleeding is driving me nuts!!"

jojodesca October 5, 2015

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "I have been on this for about 6 months now after being on desagestoral and constant bleeding. Seem to be on 26-28 day cycle and bleeding lasts between 4 and 6 days but 2 weeks after I get another period. My mood is often low on this pill and I often feel weepy. The cycle is doing my head in now and I'm terrified there's something wrong with me. Want to just stop but scared I'll always be this messed up. Anyone else experienced this? I'm 38."

mellys September 23, 2015

"I started this on the first day of my period and experienced very heavy bleeding that didn't let up. I usually bleed for three days and then it's done. On day 6 of heavy bleeding flat out I stopped taking it. Days later I am still spotting."

aunt flo (taken for less than 1 month) August 17, 2015

Camila (norethindrone): "Started this medication 4 months ago as trial/alternative to hysterectomy. Thus far, I have experienced bleeding more than not. (Great way to spend summer!) The abdominal pain & never knowing when you will start to bleed out is awful!! Can't wait to meet with doctor next month & get OFF of this drug :("

SharkMommy (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 16, 2015

"Not good. Within days I am having terrible mood swings. Glad to know I am not the only one. Calling doctor. I'm going to stop taking it. Hope there r other options"

51 August 15, 2015

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "Hi. I have taken the pill for 26 days. The 27th, I have decided to stop! I have been bleeding heavily for 26 continuous days, plus cramping, headaches, absolute lack of libido, bigger sore breasts, need to sleep 5 extra hours per day (naps all the time), extreme sadness, vaginal dryness despite the bleeding, heavy legs, general growing fatigue and incapacity to function normally! I switched to another pill (Lolo from Actavis), and so far so good. I am thankful for the reviews here because I did not feel alone or getting crazy with such painful side effects. The extreme sadness was really odd. Lolo is not a mini-pill, but it has a low amount of oestrogen. I am hopeful. I could not move with Micronor despite being very active normally."

Nicole900 August 9, 2015

"I at the age of 47, starting having heavy bleeding for two days of my five day cycle. I took this medication on for two days and I am now on my seventh day of bleeding. Which I'm bleeding longer and waking up sweating. I am going to stop taking it."

Con47 July 5, 2015

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): "The first year was fine but now I'm constantly bleeding have constant spots on my face which I've never had. I have also gained a lot of weight inexplicably which just makes me constantly think it's baby weight which is not good at all! Better than the IUD by a long shot though"

Anonymous July 4, 2015

"This medicine makes me have long periods. I used to be able to use another birth control pill with estrogen that was awesome but then had a brain injury and was placed on this. I used to have severe heavy bleeding due to fibroids. With this medicine I have periods for 2-3 weeks straight. I do not like it. It's not fun having a period for half the month. I think I'm going to stop taking it."

Jelly Bean345678 July 4, 2015

"I have been taking Norethindrone for 6 weeks now, even though I don't get the heavy period with excruciating pain it is annoying having period for 6 weeks. I am 38 yrs old and have been suffering with endometriosis since I was a teenager. My gyne told me it can take up to 2 months for bleeding to stop. I have an appointment with my Gyne in two weeks and will definitely ask for something else if bleeding doesn't stop."

tammy21 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 19, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "This birth control is great if enjoy bleeding 26 of 28 days. I was put on this to control my bleeding. Now I just bleed every day."

Mollz June 18, 2015

Nora-Be (norethindrone): "I have been on this medication for about a month and I have terrible night sweats where I wake up in the middle of the night dripping in sweat and my sheets are soaked. Ive had moodiness and increased anxiety."

plantowl1234 April 12, 2015

"Ever since I have been put on this medicine for the abnormal bleeding. I still have been bleeding since then and that was Nov 20th and today is the 6th of Dec. Remember, I was already breakthrough slight spotting when I came in. Now, I am bleeding so heavy."

Ayil December 6, 2014

Heather (norethindrone): "I've been on this Heather daily pill for one month and a half and I'm not really liking it. I've been getting my period EVERY week for 3 days. And it's even worse that it starts on Thursdays which means I'm on it over the weekend. I'm just going to finish the rest of this month's pills and if it doesn't get better I'm switching to something else."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 18, 2014