User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Norethindrone review summary

5.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Norethindrone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by K GIRL:

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I have been on Nora-BE for 2 full yrs now, prescribed post D&C for heavy bleeding and birth control. I have bad fibroids. It didn't really help with the bleeding at all. Fibroids won that battle, so I recently had UAE procedure. Night and day! Dr said normal periods would resume 2-4 months after UAE, and to keep taking Nora-BE. Now, 6 mos post UAE, not sure when/if period is coming. Didn't last month at all. Lots of spotting though..maybe this is my period?? But spotting lasts longer than my 5 day period, more like 8-12, kind of annoying. Thought the itchiness was just me, but now that I read other users experience as well... I'm connecting the dots. Definitely weight gain, approx 8-10 lbs. Breast tenderness, acne, questioning whether to continue.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by Slym (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Jolivette (norethindrone): I've been using these pills 3 months now. I've had very heavy bleeding for so long that I welcomed a change. The first two months were awesome. My cycle was very light and lasted the normal five days. No cramping, very little bloating. This third month my cycle came like clockwork lasted five days then two weeks later returned. My breast have been very tender and although very small they feel heavy I'm not giving up yet.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Jendal73:

Errin (norethindrone): I have used other birth control in the past that has regulated my periods like clockwork after one month of use. I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and was told this was one of the only pills that did not have a side effect of higher BP. I gave it 4 consistent months and after I have experienced epic bleeding, to the point it was like having 2 periods back to back, I decided it wasn't for me.

January 24, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by CheyMDavis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone): I had a period every week for 4 months and at first tried Tri-Nessa and that did nothing. A friend recommended Nora-Be and I am so glad she did. I have irregular bleeding once a month now and it's so much better. No cramps and no pain. Love it!

January 17, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I have been on this medication for about a year now to treat extremely heavy bleeding during my periods. Within the first month of taking it, it helped a LOT to a point. While I wasn't having nearly as much bleeding, it lasted for 3 weeks straight. In the beginning I was taking 2 x 5mg tablets a day, and was eventually dropped to 1 a day. After the change, I would go about every other month before I started having a period. Until recently, I went 5 full months without having anything, and now am on a 3 week stretch yet again. In those 5 months, there has been an increase in discharge, and my face has broken out HORRIBLY right around the time I normally would have a period.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 1, 2013 11:15 AM

Review by EM09 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): This medication was amazing at the beginning, but now it has caused severe moodiness and abnormal uterine bleeding. (I've had 2 full periods in 3 weeks) and somedays I start spotting and get cramps even though I take my pills on time.

March 6, 2013 11:41 AM

Review by Myra in Foothill Ranch, CA:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone): After multiple surgeries, office procedures and test done on me the results are low progesterone. My doctor put me on this pill. For the last two months and now into my third pack of pills I no longer have heavy long periods. I do recall missing a dose and/or taking my pill late caused me to have a period and/or spotting and/or long heavy periods. Now, I make sure I take them every day at the same time clockwise %u2026 so far it works and I have not had a period or spotting in about 35 days. I am not pregnant; occasionally, I get a light headache or feel a little dizzy and realize that I need to eat something; after I eat, the light headache and little dizziness goes away. I've lost weight vs. gain weight from the pill.

February 9, 2012 2:57 AM

Review by swetau:

Jolivette (norethindrone): I had a non-stop period 3 months ago. The Doctor prescribed Jolivette to let my period stop but after 6 days my bleeding doesn't stop at all. It's annoying because you can feel the gushing of blood. Until I asked my Doctor to switch it into another pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 9, 2012 10:48 PM

Aygestin (norethindrone): I supposedly was to take this for 30 days to stop spotting that I was having after menopause. Took it for 15 days and got a full blown period with cramps and all!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2011 7:29 AM

Review by SgrCooky:

I have just started my third month on Norethindrone. It's a treatment for abnormal bleeding. I used to have endometriosis problems some years ago. It has worked well in that my periods are much lighter and predictable. Before I was doing about 2 weeks bleeding and 1 week free and back to 2 weeks of bleeding. Now it's 4-5 days light bleeding per month. I have noticed more headaches though. Nothing I would trade for the effectiveness. I see my doctor next month. I believe the expectation was to have no periods, but this is 100% better than before.

March 8, 2011 9:43 PM

Review by lazygardener:

Jolivette (norethindrone): Thanks for sharing about the hair loss after several months on the medication. I had the same experience. I thought it was helping me with water retention and joint aches but I got carpal tunnel syndrome and had significant hair loss, and I coming to realize it may be from Jolivette.

February 19, 2011 10:17 PM

Errin (norethindrone): I took this for 3 months following pregnancy and it was great at leveling my mood, and allowed me to lose weight, but was not very helpful in controlling my periods.

August 5, 2010 5:03 PM

I was prescribed this to help with periods, during which I had 3 weeks to 2 months of bleeding at a time. Heavy bleeding that is. It works so well with me that my periods have stopped and that's just fine by me.

August 18, 2009 2:54 AM

I have gained 30 pounds since using this. I never had to exercise to lose weight before.

May 21, 2009 2:15 PM

Review by Aunt Flow:

I have been on this drug for 2 years for abnormal bleeding. I had the oblation procedure in June of 08 and started bleeding again. My doctor prescribed Norethindrone again but it has not worked. I give it a 3 because when I started taking the medication two years ago, it worked.

February 2, 2009 5:02 PM