User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Weight Loss 6 reviews 27 medications

AIDS Related Wasting 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Megestrol reviews 20 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Megestrol

Review by 60 year old:

megestrol for Endometrial Hyperplasia: I have endometrial hyperplasia without atypia and my insurance refuses a hysterectomy. I have been on megestrol now for over 2 1/2 months. 40mgs twice a day. Hot flashes, insomnia and bleeding, BUT I have been shedding the excess tissue of my hyperplasia. I go back in 2 weeks for yet another biopsy and will see if the hyperplasia is gone. One other effect is very strong urine from this medicine. I had tried regular progesterone and I could not tolerate it. Major bleeding and egg sized clots. So far megesterol is working for me. Time will tell, but I am hopeful of being able to stop taking it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 8, 2013 3:43 PM
Review by jademoe125 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

megestrol for Endometrial Hyperplasia: I've been on Megestrol for a little over 10 years. Started with 40mg at first for about 6 years now down to 20mg. This medication worked great for the endometrial hyperplasia, however there are side effects. The side effects I noticed were my hair was falling out, I have a weaker stomach, low sexual desire (dosage was changed to 20mg). My hair came back but the others are still there. Comparing the side effects to it's effectiveness, I still take Megestrol as of today.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 19, 2013 4:59 PM
Review by LindaJBU (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: Took 20mgs. of Megase for 4 months then 10mgs. for another 3 months and had NO side effects whatsoever. (I actually managed to lose some weight while taking this medicine.) It took some time for my complex hyperplasia without atypia to clear up, but my latest biopsy was clear from all hyperplasias and now on a regime of 10mgs. of Provera and will go back for a follow up in another 2 months. (I was actually kind of worried to change to Provera as I did so well and had no negative side effects while taking the Megace.)

December 30, 2012 8:35 AM
Review by Too Thin (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

megestrol for Weight Loss: Been very thin all my life (high metabolism). I'm 40 & 5'5 weighing at 92 lbs. I was too thin and wanting to gain weight. A friend suggested Megace. I took 1 teaspoon 3 times a day. I gained 7 lbs in the first week. After 3 weeks I am up to 117lbs where I wanted to be. I feel and look much healthier. Con was my appetite was insatiable. I only wanted to eat ALL DAY. I always had food with me if I went out. I ended up with a food baby (that's what I call it) belly. I looked pregnant. That went away when I stopped taking it. It did stop my periods but when I'd stop taking it the periods would always return. It did make me very thirsty all the time as well. Other than that I love it! Take 1 tsp every other 2-3 days now to maintain the weight.

July 11, 2012 4:53 PM
Review by Eldest daughter: User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Weight Loss: Oncologist ordered it for mom's stage 4 lung cancer symptoms. It did an amazing job increasing her appetite which helped her keep weight on.

June 9, 2012 8:55 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

megestrol for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This medication has taken me on a roller coaster ride. I am over sensitive, moody, hypersensitive. I can't sleep and I have gained 8lbs in 30 days. It does control the bleeding but it is not worth putting up with the side effects.

June 8, 2012 3:47 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: Had an elderly aunt that lost her appetite and was down to 82 pounds. Doctor told her if she loses anymore weight, she will need to be hospitalized. After 3 months, she is now up to 100lbs.

April 11, 2012 12:56 PM
Review by Soulcr8: User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Cachexia: I've been down 3 surgeries in 11 months. Lost 60lbs and could not eat. I have been on Megace for 10 day's and I have gained 17 lbs. UNREAL! I have eaten $200 in groceries and have no plans to stop. MEGACE has beyond a doubt saved my life. Side effects are little to none. Dry mouth/more frequent urination/"Incredible appetite"! I am in it for the weight gain. Today I feel so good and strong, I caught myself running home from the store.

January 26, 2012 10:51 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

megestrol for Anorexia: I have been under weight throughout my life and I was recommended to take this medication, after two weeks I can literally feel my appetite is off the roof, and I have gained more than 5lbs, that's amazing. I was put on 400mg/daily, initially. Only down side is the medication is very expensive. Highly recommended.

August 8, 2011 9:57 PM
Review by Chuck Wyo: User Rating:

megestrol for Weight Loss: I had a lung infection (emphysema and an abscess) and I had always had very low weight. I have had appetite problems all my life. During my illness I was down to 104 lbs, after taking megestrol I am now up to 154lbs and am doing fine. I credit megestrol with saving my life. I still take 20mg everyday to keep my appetite going. What a great medicine.

February 10, 2011 9:58 AM
Review by Ame3: User Rating:

megestrol for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I began using this medicine after having very heavy bleeding for 2 month straight. My periods were pretty regular until then. I was in tears when I went to see my doctor. He gave me this pill and it stopped the bleeding within 1 day. It was great. Took it for about 5 days. It has now been 4 weeks and have not seen a sign of its return. I did not have any severe side effects on it except that I was a little emotionally edgy for about 3 days or so. I just kept to myself and made no important decisions for the week. Hope this helps.

August 25, 2010 4:16 PM
Review by mycal: User Rating:

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: Medication works great for SHORT TERM usage. Long term usage can suppress your adrenal glands and suppress your Hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis.

August 17, 2010 4:34 PM
Review by TaraGator: User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Cancer: I have been taking Megace, in conjunction with Xeloda for the past year to help treat my Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. Since my tumor is estrogen feeding, this medication takes the estrogen out of my system. Tumors have CONSIDERABLY shrunk since I've been on this medication.

December 8, 2009 9:31 AM
Review by mark58: User Rating:

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: I've used Megace to help with lack of feeling hungry which results in poor protein intake. Megace keeps my hunger level at a point where I want to eat and can keep my weight and nutrition up.

November 16, 2009 4:39 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

megestrol for Hot Flashes: I used this medication for over 15 years for very severe hot flashes. I had no side effects. I have recently stopped using it and have not had the hot flashes return.

November 9, 2009 2:56 PM
Review by T-oski: User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: At the six week point I began bleeding and have been bleeding heavily for two weeks. Also swelling of feet and ankles as well as a weird 'whooshing' sound in my ear. I think the Megestrol turned on me.

July 30, 2009 9:10 AM
Review by Bonnie-Lynn:

Megace (megestrol) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on Megace for the past three months. I have just finished it and have had no side effects at all except a little rash under my left breast line but that could also be the dry electrical heating as well but otherwise I haven't any breakthrough bleeding or weight gain or anything else. I go back to my doctor on March 20th, 2009 in two weeks and we will see what she says. I guess I went to her because of severe lower back aches and frequent bleeding as well as a lot of abdominal pain. I had no problems at all on Megace.

March 4, 2009 1:13 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: My mum has leukemia. This medicine helped her when she wasn't eating.

December 28, 2008 9:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: For abnormal bleeding with no known cause this medicine has been a God send for me. Instead of having my period 365 days a year, I don't get any now.

November 14, 2008 9:15 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Megace (megestrol) for Hot Flashes: This medicine worked really well for me for about 6 weeks then gradually stopped working.

October 17, 2008 7:57 PM

Advanced Breast Cancer: Learn about treatments to improve quality of life. Click Here