User Reviews for Megestrol

Also known as: Megace, Megace ES

Learn more about Megestrol.

Weight Loss 7 reviews 27 medications

Breast Cancer, Palliative 0 reviews 108 medications

AIDS Related Wasting 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Megestrol reviews 28 reviews 7.8

Reviews for Megestrol

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after Dand C.i started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger Also even hair a started falling out. Very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Given magestrol 40 mg twice a day after D&C. I started bleeding after 45 days of using it, weight gain, too much anger. Even my hair started falling out..very bad experience with it. Doctor gives me progesterone 200 mg and still after taking it since 9 days bleeding is still on. I don't know when will this stop but I have the progesterone for 14 days and then stop it and see what will happen !"

Amber234 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: "Very thin woman age 58 my first experience with this medicine was excellent. Now the generic Megestrol Does nothing for me. Went through 9 bottles with no weight gain. "

Niecie (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 21, 2015

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: "This was by far the most horrible medication I've been on in my life. It did end the endometrial precancerous condition, but at great cost to my body and mind. The doctors also don't tell you it is a steriod. My side effects included: Joint pain everywhere - steriods eat away the joints over time High blood pressure - I didn't have it before this medication, and I do now Edema everywhere - including hands and face Hypoglycemia - had to drink orange juice and eat small meals to keep it under control. Nightmares and bad dreams - I never seemed to be able to get a deep sleep Fatigue Unable to truly experience joy or emotion except anger Emotionally brittle - had to lie down whenever I got upset (and more than this will allow me to type)"

A Rose by any other name (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 10, 2015

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I took this after I had surgery on my ovaries. It gave me bad insomnia, hot flashes and really bad weight gain. Once I was off of it I was ok. I am once again on Megace for Hyperplasia and I am experiencing hot flashes and weight gain once again, but now within the month that I have been taking it my blood sugar is going up and I am fatigued all the time."

mackka December 3, 2014

For Hot Flashes: "Stopped hot flashes resulting from taking Lupron for prostate cancer. Wonderful medicine."

Break 60 (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2014

For Weight Loss: "I took this for weight gain. In the beginning I took it everyday for a month. I went from 80lbs to 115lbs in one month. I overdid it. So I stopped taking it and would only take it when my appetite would subside and just take it for a week and when I was hungry again I would stop. I would keep the appetite (a normal one) for about a month before needing more. However, I am going to stop taking it. I have NO sex life with hubby. I have almost NO desire. I don't know If its from the medicines. It also gives me chills pretty bad. I think it makes me very fatigued as well but not 100 percent. From all I have read is this medicine stops the production of testosterone which is why."

katem95799 May 8, 2014

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have large fibroids and had such heavy bleeding that I had to have a blood transfusion. I have been taking Megestrol for 7 months and it has reduced my period to just spotting for a few days. A God send, since my iron and blood levels have gone up to normal. I cut the dose in half to 200 mg/day and it still works. Unfortunately, I have experienced weight gain, depression, fleeting pains in my body, worsened vision, joint stiffness, and more susceptibility to Candida. On the higher dose (400mg/day), I had some spontaneous bruising and ankle swelling. I am having a hysterectomy soon and will stop using this but thankfully the benefits outweighed the risks for me--at least short term."

JulieinColorado April 22, 2014

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I have endometrial hyperplasia without atypia and my insurance refuses a hysterectomy. I have been on megestrol now for over 2 1/2 months. 40mgs twice a day. Hot flashes, insomnia and bleeding, BUT I have been shedding the excess tissue of my hyperplasia. I go back in 2 weeks for yet another biopsy and will see if the hyperplasia is gone. One other effect is very strong urine from this medicine. I had tried regular progesterone and I could not tolerate it. Major bleeding and egg sized clots. So far megesterol is working for me. Time will tell, but I am hopeful of being able to stop taking it."

60 year old October 8, 2013

For Endometrial Hyperplasia: "I've been on Megestrol for a little over 10 years. Started with 40mg at first for about 6 years now down to 20mg. This medication worked great for the endometrial hyperplasia, however there are side effects. The side effects I noticed were my hair was falling out, I have a weaker stomach, low sexual desire (dosage was changed to 20mg). My hair came back but the others are still there. Comparing the side effects to it's effectiveness, I still take Megestrol as of today."

jademoe125 (taken for 10 years or more) August 19, 2013

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: "Took 20mgs. of Megase for 4 months then 10mgs. for another 3 months and had NO side effects whatsoever. (I actually managed to lose some weight while taking this medicine.) It took some time for my complex hyperplasia without atypia to clear up, but my latest biopsy was clear from all hyperplasias and now on a regime of 10mgs. of Provera and will go back for a follow up in another 2 months. (I was actually kind of worried to change to Provera as I did so well and had no negative side effects while taking the Megace.)"

LindaJBU (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 30, 2012

For Weight Loss: "Been very thin all my life (high metabolism). I'm 40 & 5'5 weighing at 92 lbs. I was too thin and wanting to gain weight. A friend suggested Megace. I took 1 teaspoon 3 times a day. I gained 7 lbs in the first week. After 3 weeks I am up to 117lbs where I wanted to be. I feel and look much healthier. Con was my appetite was insatiable. I only wanted to eat ALL DAY. I always had food with me if I went out. I ended up with a food baby (that's what I call it) belly. I looked pregnant. That went away when I stopped taking it. It did stop my periods but when I'd stop taking it the periods would always return. It did make me very thirsty all the time as well. Other than that I love it! Take 1 tsp every other 2-3 days now to maintain the weight."

Too Thin (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 11, 2012

Megace (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "Oncologist ordered it for mom's stage 4 lung cancer symptoms. It did an amazing job increasing her appetite which helped her keep weight on."

Eldest daughter June 9, 2012

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This medication has taken me on a roller coaster ride. I am over sensitive, moody, hypersensitive. I can't sleep and I have gained 8lbs in 30 days. It does control the bleeding but it is not worth putting up with the side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2012

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "Had an elderly aunt that lost her appetite and was down to 82 pounds. Doctor told her if she loses anymore weight, she will need to be hospitalized. After 3 months, she is now up to 100lbs."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

Megace (megestrol) for Cachexia: "I've been down 3 surgeries in 11 months. Lost 60lbs and could not eat. I have been on Megace for 10 day's and I have gained 17 lbs. UNREAL! I have eaten $200 in groceries and have no plans to stop. MEGACE has beyond a doubt saved my life. Side effects are little to none. Dry mouth/more frequent urination/"Incredible appetite"! I am in it for the weight gain. Today I feel so good and strong, I caught myself running home from the store. "

Soulcr8 January 26, 2012

For Anorexia: "I have been under weight throughout my life and I was recommended to take this medication, after two weeks I can literally feel my appetite is off the roof, and I have gained more than 5lbs, that's amazing. I was put on 400mg/daily, initially. Only down side is the medication is very expensive. Highly recommended."

Anonymous August 8, 2011

For Weight Loss: "I had a lung infection (emphysema and an abscess) and I had always had very low weight. I have had appetite problems all my life. During my illness I was down to 104 lbs, after taking megestrol I am now up to 154lbs and am doing fine. I credit megestrol with saving my life. I still take 20mg everyday to keep my appetite going. What a great medicine."

Chuck Wyo February 10, 2011

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I began using this medicine after having very heavy bleeding for 2 month straight. My periods were pretty regular until then. I was in tears when I went to see my doctor. He gave me this pill and it stopped the bleeding within 1 day. It was great. Took it for about 5 days. It has now been 4 weeks and have not seen a sign of its return. I did not have any severe side effects on it except that I was a little emotionally edgy for about 3 days or so. I just kept to myself and made no important decisions for the week. Hope this helps."

Ame3 August 25, 2010

Megace ES (megestrol) for Anorexia: "Medication works great for SHORT TERM usage. Long term usage can suppress your adrenal glands and suppress your Hypothalmic-pituitary-adrenal axis."

mycal August 17, 2010

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Cancer: "I have been taking Megace, in conjunction with Xeloda for the past year to help treat my Stage 3 Ovarian Cancer. Since my tumor is estrogen feeding, this medication takes the estrogen out of my system. Tumors have CONSIDERABLY shrunk since I've been on this medication."

TaraGator December 8, 2009

Megace ES (megestrol) for Weight Loss: "I've used Megace to help with lack of feeling hungry which results in poor protein intake. Megace keeps my hunger level at a point where I want to eat and can keep my weight and nutrition up."

mark58 November 16, 2009

For Hot Flashes: "I used this medication for over 15 years for very severe hot flashes. I had no side effects. I have recently stopped using it and have not had the hot flashes return."

Anonymous November 9, 2009

Megace (megestrol) for Endometrial Hyperplasia: "At the six week point I began bleeding and have been bleeding heavily for two weeks. Also swelling of feet and ankles as well as a weird 'whooshing' sound in my ear. I think the Megestrol turned on me."

T-oski July 30, 2009

Megace (megestrol) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have been on Megace for the past three months. I have just finished it and have had no side effects at all except a little rash under my left breast line but that could also be the dry electrical heating as well but otherwise I haven't any breakthrough bleeding or weight gain or anything else. I go back to my doctor on March 20th, 2009 in two weeks and we will see what she says. I guess I went to her because of severe lower back aches and frequent bleeding as well as a lot of abdominal pain. I had no problems at all on Megace."

Bonnie-Lynn March 4, 2009