User Reviews for Norethindrone

Also known as: Aygestin, Camila, Errin, Heather, Jencycla, Jolivette, Lyza, Nor-QD, Nora-Be, Norlyroc, Ortho Micronor

Learn more about Norethindrone.

Endometriosis 10 reviews 175 medications

Amenorrhea 0 reviews 27 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Norethindrone reviews 107 reviews 6.1

Reviews for Norethindrone

Review by K GIRL:

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on Nora-BE for 2 full yrs now, prescribed post D&C for heavy bleeding and birth control. I have bad fibroids. It didn't really help with the bleeding at all. Fibroids won that battle, so I recently had UAE procedure. Night and day! Dr said normal periods would resume 2-4 months after UAE, and to keep taking Nora-BE. Now, 6 mos post UAE, not sure when/if period is coming. Didn't last month at all. Lots of spotting though..maybe this is my period?? But spotting lasts longer than my 5 day period, more like 8-12, kind of annoying. Thought the itchiness was just me, but now that I read other users experience as well... I'm connecting the dots. Definitely weight gain, approx 8-10 lbs. Breast tenderness, acne, questioning whether to continue.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 11:12 PM

Review by valley83:

For Birth Control: I have been on this pill for a month and I have had my period 3 times, get headaches, cramps and worst of all its dried up breast milk which is why I went on the mini pill to avoid it. I get less than half an ounce when I used to get 4 oz. And I've gained about 8-10 lbs in a month, overall not good for breastfeeding moms.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 15, 2014 2:33 PM

Review by Mandy J (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lyza (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on Lyza for a month. I've had one period since then and although I didn't have horrifically heavy flow the first 2-3 days (part of the reason I wanted to be on birth control again), my period was a little longer. I have less appetite, which I guess is OK. I had less horribly painful cramps, it didn't wake me up in the middle of the night like it usually does. A little breast tenderness. I had really bad headaches for a long time and this seems to have helped. I was prescribed this particular one because combined pills make me nauseous. Seems OK thus far.

July 14, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by JuJu Grate (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I have been on this pill since November and I love it. I have not had a period since then. I only spot when I forget to take the pill. This honestly has been the best pill I have been on. I have had no bad side effects from this pill. I would recommend it to anyone who can only do progesterone only.

July 9, 2014 10:53 AM

Review by HLN (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Endometriosis: I have endometriosis and fibroids and had a terrible time last year when I visited my sister in Colorado. I was having horrific cramps that radiated up my back, in my butt and down my legs. I ended up in the ER there and was told I may have had a cyst burst. I was told that higher elevations will make cramps alot worse if you are not used to the elevation. When we drove up in the mountains the cramps got significantly worse. They gave me some strong pain medication but it really only made me groggy and the pain was still there. When I came back home and visited my dr. she put me on these. So far, it has been over a year and I have had no periods, no cramps and no pain! It's like a miracle! Unfortunately I have gained weight though.

June 12, 2014 1:59 PM

Review by analise7321:

For Birth Control: I have always had a hard tine with birth control. I was on the Nuvaring for 5 years until I started having problems (extreme vaginal pains, pain when having sex, etc.) And was put on norethindrone for the low dose hormones. My vision was very blurred and I had extreme balance and depth perception issues. I work at an automotive and electric motor mechanic and was losing balance carrying 50lb motors in my hands. I was not only hitting my hand with a hammer but also hit my boss' hand a few times (he was completely understanding) but needless to say with my line of work, this birth control was not going to work for me and I was unable to wait the three month period to see if it would subside.

June 6, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Jills:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone) for Birth Control: My only problem is that of I ever miss my pill just by 1 day I automatically get a normal 4 day period the next day even if I take a double dose, and once again get my period every 16th of the month.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 4, 2014 2:54 PM

Review by Dove Light (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on this pill for 1 month and its been treating me good so far, only side effects experienced was breast tenderness, increased appetite, itchy scalp.

May 25, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by JroseB (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been in this 3 months now. Have gained 11 lbs!!! I excersise, eat right and I look swollen. Have had 3 different spotting occasions that haven't lasted more than 3 days at a time. No cramps to really reports, occasional night sweats, no headaches. Just really hating the weight gain!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 21, 2014 4:40 PM

Review by efaith:

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I have been taking Nora-Be for a year now and have noticed the following side effects: 1. I never knew when I will have my period. On this birth control, it seems to be every 3 months. 2. I have gained about 10 pounds even though I have maintained my normal level of physical activity and diet. Before starting BC I have maintained the same weight for a number of years, and so the weight gain is not welcome. 3. I have experienced minor vision problems. Mostly my eye sight is blurry and sometimes I have difficulty focusing. 4. My breasts have increased in size (probably due to the weight gain). Though I can not really complain about the larger breasts, they are fairly tender-- sometimes uncomfortably so.

May 21, 2014 4:36 PM

Review by nerak86:

Errin (norethindrone) for Endometriosis: I've been on progestin-only birth control for about 3 years. I started on Ortho-Micronor, I had a period for about 3 months straight but then my period stopped entirely. Then I moved and I was given Camila (same thing, different brand), it kept in line with the "no-period" havingness. It was great. Moved again, I was given Errin. For about 2-3 months I was ok, but I noticed some changes in my mood and some bloating. Then about 3 months in (February 2014) I had spotting. I thought maybe it would be normal after having NO period for 2 years, but then 2 weeks later I had a full-on period. Since then I've had maybe 3-4 periods in 2 months, extremely painful tenderness in my breasts.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 3, 2014 9:32 AM

Review by Specialk3321:

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been on this medication (Nora-Be) for a little over a month now and my only complaint is that I have no idea when I'll get my period, the random spotting and the length of the period. Each time I have spotting, I'm not sure if it's my period or spotting then when I finally got my period, I had no idea how long it would be (still having it 6 days later). One of the main reasons I went on birth control was to control my period, since I have migraines however, I'm no longer allowed (per PPNE) allowed to have estrogen in my birth control which takes out that ability to control my period. Beyond that, no other side effects (i.e. weight gain, breast tenderness). I'll report back if that changes over the next few months.

April 30, 2014 2:37 PM

Review by ScarletHawk (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I like this birth control method because it's safe to use while breastfeeding (I am 5 months post-partum and have been on the pill since my period returned at 2 months post-partum). This is the only birth control I use. I have an alarm set on my phone to go off at 1pm everyday and I take the pill at that exact time (or within 2 minutes of the exact time everyday, literally). I don't mind that and don't find it a hassle. I like that it has been effective thus far (knock on wood). I do not like that I have my period every 2 weeks like clockwork. It's light and only lasts 4 days but THAT is the hassle I find with this pill.

April 25, 2014 4:24 PM

Review by momma24 (taken for less than 1 month):

Errin (norethindrone) for Birth Control: This pill has not been for me. I had a period right before I started taking it, then 2 more times within 3 weeks I had more bleeding. It seems as though other raters on here have also had abnormal bleeding due to this pill. I also have a decreased sex drive and feel bloated almost all of the time. I will be switching soon.

April 21, 2014 10:08 PM

Review by kiaj:

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I've been taking Nora-Be for about 2 months and have now been experiencing a longer period cycle. Before the pill my cycle lasted 5 days now on the pill my cycle last 8 days and now starts every 21 days as it used to start every 24 days. Other then the bleeding more, I've had no other symptoms.

April 13, 2014 4:58 AM

Review by AshleyEM:

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I liked my Ortho Micronor. I first started it because I was afraid of the combination pill. I don't like the idea of taking estrogen. When I first started, I noticed my breast were slightly sore, but nothing too uncomfortable. It has a more strict timeline than the combination pill and you have to be sure to take it around the same time each day /- 3 hour window. The more inconsistent you are, the greater chance of breakthrough bleeding/pregnancy. I still got a period while taking Micronor, which I was happy about. That's my one true HEY-IM-NOT-PREGNANT flag. I stopped taking Ortho Micronor just because I wanted something more effective and hassle free. I recently choose an IUD. If I have any problems with this IUD, I would most likely return to using this.

March 20, 2014 7:56 PM

Review by CanadianS (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho Micronor (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I started taking this, because my doctor said that this pill uses a hormone similar to progesterone (what the human body produces). The other pills I've tried (Tri-Cyclen, Yasmin) use estrogen, which is more likely to cause blood clots, heart attack, high blood pressure and stroke. I had minor spotting, and then no period at all. I have had a few headaches, but I am not sure if they're related. I've also had WAY less of an appetite, which was usually the opposite when I took birth control in pill form. I'd love to have a more natural form of birth control, but at this point, I'm happy with Micronor as a solution.

March 20, 2014 8:50 AM

Review by LuciaB99 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I have had good experiences with this birth control pill. I just started having sex with someone, I am not pregnant. Besides birth control I have lighter less painful periods. Also when I get my period it only lasts for about three days. My periods were very painful and lasted almost a week. This birth control pill has let me live a normal life!

January 28, 2014 2:07 AM

Review by Slym (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Jolivette (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been using these pills 3 months now. I've had very heavy bleeding for so long that I welcomed a change. The first two months were awesome. My cycle was very light and lasted the normal five days. No cramping, very little bloating. This third month my cycle came like clockwork lasted five days then two weeks later returned. My breast have been very tender and although very small they feel heavy I'm not giving up yet.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2014 10:29 PM

Review by Jendal73:

Errin (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have used other birth control in the past that has regulated my periods like clockwork after one month of use. I have been diagnosed with high blood pressure and was told this was one of the only pills that did not have a side effect of higher BP. I gave it 4 consistent months and after I have experienced epic bleeding, to the point it was like having 2 periods back to back, I decided it wasn't for me.

January 24, 2014 8:38 AM

Review by CheyMDavis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had a period every week for 4 months and at first tried Tri-Nessa and that did nothing. A friend recommended Nora-Be and I am so glad she did. I have irregular bleeding once a month now and it's so much better. No cramps and no pain. Love it!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 17, 2014 5:08 PM

Review by kainani (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Jolivette (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I have never taken birth control pills before Jolivette. This particular pill was prescribed to me because of my chronic migraines. The pill works great for my period, but the overall side effects were horrible. I am extremely emotional, my breasts were sore all of the time, and I'm extremely emotional all of the time which is the opposite of how I usually am. I also had hair growth on my arms, legs, and a little on my face. It works, but the side effects make it not worth it.

December 27, 2013 1:04 AM

Review by LawyerGal (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I had to switch to Norethindrone after year of Zovia due to concerns from my doctor over my high blood pressure and the risk of stroke. On norethindrone my skin completely broke out, I gained 10lbs and started growing some facial hair. I was moody as can be and experienced a painfully low sex drive (with equally painful intercourse). After speaking with my gyno and taking the Norethindrone for about 10 months, I am finally switching to Junel 1/20. The ONLY pro of the Norethindrone was that it was an extremely effective birth control. As a hypochondriac, I was fearful of getting pregnant from unprotected sex. Thankfully, the pill worked for me. Only it's side effects were horrible.

December 22, 2013 7:38 PM

Review by Oomfer (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I was prescribed after having our daughter. I spent the last three months thinking I was pregnant but confused by every negative test. After reading all the online reviews I now understand why my period is over two months late

November 29, 2013 3:01 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Nora-Be (norethindrone) for Birth Control: I asked my doctor to change my birth control because of migraines. He put me on Nora-Be and after 3 week I started with these side-effects: cramping, bloating, breast sensitivity, trouble sleeping, itchy scalp, and constipation, and still had a few migraines. I was like that for 2 weeks and had the doctor put me back on the loretadine b.c I used before for irregular periods. Would not recommend this medicine AT ALL!!!!

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate