User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 162 medications

6.4
Ovarian Cysts 3 reviews 55 medications

Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 104 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Acne "I took ortho tri cyclen for about six months,plenty of time to give it a chance to completely clear my acne but unfortunately that was not the case. My skin always had at least 3 zits. I experienced major spotting almost constantly and only had about 2 months of no blood. I was extremely moody as if I was bipolar and/or always about to get my period.The breakthrough bleeding was so painful. I had to take Tylenol at least once a day.This was my experience but my 23 year old friend loves it and her skin is never better but she does have spotting. I got a 9 month supply of this pill for free "

EMMSTHENAME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Acne "I've had issues with acne since around middle school and have literally tried everything from different topical creams to antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotics were not a safe long term fix so I initially started taking Beyaz and was on that bc for about 4 months. My acne did not improve that significantly so my dermo switched me to Ortho Tricyclen about 3 months ago. I think that you should be aware that your acne will probably get a little worse before it gets better. I had a horrible break out like 2 months in and I got super frustated but now my acne is so much better on my face and chest so I think it's working! I have also been taking spironolactone as well."

Lex2233 January 31, 2016

For Acne "So I have been on the pill for just over a month and have noticed my acne get a bit worse. Other than that, it's all positive. Absolutely no mood swings (if anything it has made me more calm)... zero cramps and lighter period. My boobs have increased at least a full cup size! Will give this a try for at least another 5 months as I have heard that acne can get worse before it gets better :)"

nataliepeds January 20, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went through a number of birth control pills and even had the implanon, each one gave me some sort of side effect (mostly horrible mood swings, terrible breakthrough needing and depression) I started taking this pill a couple months after I had my daughter and it worked great for me. But as soon as my prescription ran out and I had to wait a few days to get back on schedule, I just kept bleeding. It's been going on for two weeks now and I'm still bleeding today, IDK what to do about this I'm so frustrated because this has been the only pill that hasn't severely altered my hormones until recently. Should I continue the usage and wait it out a but longer? Really don't want to be pregnant again. "

Lillya07 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2016

For Acne "I'm finishing my first pack of Ortho currently. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I'm breaking out worse, my acne is more inflamed, and my skin is looking more rough overall. Before starting this medication, my acne was mainly inflamed pustules with a pus-filled head covering my cheeks. Now I'm getting minor "cysts" that are completely under the skin and very red, and really really hurt. My acne has never hurt before and now it is, so that's a change. Also I have more general whiteheads than before. Also noticed my acne is increasing in my chin/jawline area, and beforehand my acne was mainly concentrated in my cheeks. I'm disappointed so far and wondering if I should even continue."

Lc123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I first went on this pill when I was 20 years old. Everything seemed to be fine. Periods were lighter, no mood swings, no weight gain. Acne was so so. Skip ahead 2 years later and went on a trip and forgot to bring my birth control with me because I had my period at the time and the days just evaded me. So I waited until my next period to take it again. Once I got back on it, I had intense mood swings for no reason and tremendous weight gain that keeps continuing. I gained 30 pounds in 6 months since getting back on the pill. My eating habits haven't changed and I've actually been more active but pounds keep coming. It definitely effects sex drive because the month I was off it was high and then went low again after."

Meli57754 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2016

For Ovarian Cysts "Works bc ever constant migraine all day everyday nausea...loss of appetite..breast so sore I didn't wear a bra for a week. GOOD THING! My period started 2nd day I stopped taking it. No bc ever worked that fast for me"

TyAnna December 30, 2015

For Acne "I'm on the final week of my 3 pack of Ortho. I haven't had any side effects from this. In the past I've had issues with BC affecting my moods and sex drive, abnormal bleeding and making my hormonal acne even worse. So I'm giving it an 8. Because it's not helping helping with my hormonal acne at all."

29PalmsBabe December 29, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm only three months into this pill, but so far it has been nothing but good for me. I do get headaches, but they do not interfere with my daily activites so I don't mind. I've also had some breakouts but normally near my period, which is usual for me even off the pill. No weight gain yet, normal moods, I haven't missed a pill yet. My first period was really browny and black in the beginning and a light orange at the end. I'm not sure if that is normal, but who knows. Also, some vaginal discharge but not enough to bug me. Overall, its working great!"

ABROOK102O0E December 24, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been on Ortho Tri-Cyclen for about 3/4 months now and the biggest positive for me was that it cleared my hormonal chin acne. Lately I've really felt the mood swings though, I'm usually a very happy person but lately I've been feeling very blah and I feel like I can't concentrate. Sex drive is also a little blah. Weight is about the same too."

Mrrr (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

For Birth Control "I rated this birth control a 10, ONLY because I have not gotten pregnant and my face is always clear. Unfortunately I gained 26 pounds (I was 100lb when I first started, but not complaining) I had major mood swings, I cried at anything and everything, it gave me depression, I had irrational thoughts (totally not the kind of person I am) and also recurring yeast infections along with a very LOW sex drive. Very effective as a contraceptive, but avoid this pill if you have a history with depression."

SmellyCat96 (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 12, 2015

For Birth Control "I take this for birth control & Acne. I've been on this pill going on 2 years. I'm 35 & used to take this pill in my early 20's as well. It's has always helped with my acne. I rarely get breakouts like before. I had an IUD for years too, but didn't like the spotting always at the wrong time. So I went back on the pill. My skin has never felt and looked this good. However, I am also dealing with the random spurts of depression and lack of sex drive. That really sucks. I do feel moodier than normal. My boyfriend has also noticed the change. I stay on it because it does it's job. Just got to deal with the side effects."

Adri808 December 10, 2015

For Acne "I have delt with acne since I was 15, Throughout high school it was here and there. After high school it got worse and worse. I am now 21 and just finishing my second month on being on Ortho tri-cyclen and my acne has increased since using (which I was told and aware of). I was very hopeful but I'm starting to get discouraged and starting to dread looking at my face everyday. I'm going to continue using it and hope for the best. I really hope this works for me."

Anonymous November 30, 2015

For Acne "At around 14, I went from beautiful ice white skin to a horrible battle zone on my face. My forehead and chin were covered in severe acne. I tried everything. Murad, proactive you name it. I wouldn't take pics, I was so ashamed. Hard enough bein a teen! Long story short, I researched And found that ortho tri cyclen was affective. I requested it before they were gonna put me on Accutane (noooo!) & within 3 months my skin was CLEAR and still is. I was 17, now I'm 22. Sometimes you have to research for yourself and be your own advocate with doctors. If not, I would of been put on accutane. The first week you will be a little nauseated on the pill, but it goes away and your periods are only 3 days long with no cramps! Life saver"

Savannah123 November 21, 2015

For Birth Control "I was on alesse for the last 2.5 years - my cramps calmed down quite a bit but I was still spotting (but without BC I would have 7 day periods and terrible cramps, I also have fibroids). My doctor suggested that I change pills since I should have stopped spotting and put me on tricyclean. I was on this pill for two months and although I did not have spotting, I noticed that it caused major mood swings, depression, weight gain (10 pounds), tenderness in breast, and my skin has changed (occasional pimple and normal skin, I started to have red bumps, pimples and oily). I've decided to stop using this pill as it is not for me. My doctor has suggested I go on this new pill called "LOLO" by actavis. I can't find much on it and will prob not use it."

Terrible experience November 15, 2015

For Birth Control "If you get pregnant on this , you messed up real bad ! Even if you miss the time you would usually take it , still take it and get back on track you should be fine plus light and pain free periods. The side effects are horrible tho ! I got sooooo moody & emotional over everything. My bf and I always argued because I was so fussy so we had less and less sex . :/"

Naenay (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 10, 2015

For Birth Control "I'm 18 years old, my period was irregular and I'm sexually active, so i decided to start the pill. I just started this birth control (first bc ever tried), the first 3 days when i was on this bc i got the worst headaches. Then I started to feel depressed and was tired all the time. Within the first week of taking the pill, I got my period, and I got the worst cramps ever - more worse than before i was using any contraceptive; tingling/numbness in legs, severe cramps, nausea. But now i don't feel depressed anymore and I don't get terrible headaches. My breasts feel a little fuller than normal-"normal" as in before I started using any contraceptive. I'm on my second week of taking the pill, so we'll see how it goes."

jenny101 (taken for less than 1 month) November 6, 2015

For Birth Control "I am 20 years old and started taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen when I was 17. I have always been thin, and at the time of taking the pill I was 5'8 130 pounds. My entire life I have been active and very in to healthy eating. A couple months in to Ortho Tri-Cyclen I noticed that I had been gaining weight, around 7-10 pounds even though my diet and excercise routine had not changed AT ALL. This caused me to workout even harder and clean up my diet even more, however the weight continued to pile on. I graduated high school and went off to college already 15 pounds heavier than I had been in highschool. I promised myself that I would lose the weight by Christmas break of my freshman fall semester. This did NOT happen. "

Leanne8899 October 20, 2015

For Birth Control "I developed a breast lump while on this pill! It turned out not to be cancer, but it was still scary. I also had lots of breast pain and tenderness. When I switched to a different brand of birth control, all the breast problems stopped. I also gained 10 lbs while on the pill"

e199458 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 13, 2015

For Birth Control "Have had spotting for 2 months. My lower back hurts often from cramping....My breasts are tender and feel hard and I am feeling a lot more emotional (I cry a lot now) I feel fatigued all of the time and I don't know if it's from this medication or stress. I am hoping my unpleasant symptoms go away after a few more months of taking it.... the bright side... this medication made my very small breasts larger !"

Random person writing a review (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 10, 2015

For Birth Control "Didn't trigger my regular migraines, great birth control to start on and it's effective! Lo made me breakthrough bleed so I started on regular 28 cycle and no problems, until I went off of it. I started birth control at 115 pounds and ended it at 132 pounds. Though I am petite, it's not a huge weight gain nor is it noticeable. My acne and oily skin came back, and I am very irritable(PMS). Cramping on my period is very painful so I'll be going back on birth control, this time trying Seasonique."

Melissaamber September 29, 2015

For Birth Control "At first I was quite terrified to start trip-cyclen based off of these reviews, however, my Doctor thought it would be a good fit for me. First of all, this birth control does as it promises-- no babies have been conceived! It seems that many users complain of weight gain, I have actually experienced weight loss. Starting tri-cyclen I weighed 148Pounds, currently I am 143. I have not experienced bloating, nausea or abdominal discomfort either.Tri-cyclen helped to make my periods lighter and relieve my cramps associated with my period which has been great. I have noticed that I receive more headaches than usual which I am associating with this medication, this is why this birth control is receiving a 9/10 for me. otherwise Love it so far"

Sarahbear90 September 28, 2015

For Birth Control "I've been taking orthocyclen for about 2-3 years now, and I pretty much gained like 20 pounds. I gained about 10 pounds the first time I took it. And I decided to get off of it for awhile, then I went back on it and gained 10 more pounds. I've pretty much been eating the same since even before I got on birth control. I feel like that's the only problem I have... Gaining weight. I'm currently 150 pounds now. Before I started taking birth control, I would NOT get my period every month, but since I started taking it, I've been getting them every month. I'm gonna stop taking these pills because my doctor recommended taking Lutera instead for a female my age (17)."

LunaKat (taken for 2 to 5 years) September 22, 2015

For Acne "This stuff doesn't work for acne . It hasn't helped my skin at all and that was one of the reasons why I got birth control"

Anonymous August 27, 2015

For Acne "I went on my first pack this month and am taking my third week right now and just experienced some major break through bleeding ( which I guess is normal so well see how it keeps going) but as far as my acne I used to have insane cysts on my cheeks and chin. Within one week, I had no cysts but just minor small pimples which I'm totally fine with. So I'm on my third week and I don't get the painful cysts anymore. I just had one or two small ones on my chin but that's it! would recommend for acne but the break through bleeding scared me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015