User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 3 reviews 177 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 51 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Review by saymm: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 12, 2014 2:57 PM
Review by Jax1234: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: First time on birth control and I started with this one mainly because I had terrible cramps and period side effects. Doctor recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I have been using it for 4 months now. Can't complain about the pill. My face has significantly become clearer. Still have pretty bad cramping though. My period now lasts about 4-5 days versus the 6-7. I Also had weight gain. Gained 15lbs in a matter of 3 mths. I am 5'8 and normally weigh 115 so for me it wasn't a big deal. I definitely felt my breast a lot heavier too. I rarely suffer from headaches and this pill made me get one almost every other day, which was annoying and uncomfy. Had to switch due to break through bleeding though, Either Azurette or Lutera.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 7:16 PM
Review by Anonymous456 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen from when I was 16-20 years old the first time, and I recently started taking it again 2 months ago. Both times, I experienced an increase in cup size (~2 cups), which was nice, but I think part of that is connected to weight gain. After I switched to a different birth control the first time, I dropped about 7 lbs. over the course of a few months. I then stopped the other birth control because I was having some bad side effects and dropped another 10 additional lbs., but on the downside my breast size decreased to an A (the size it was when I was 17 prior to taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen). Now that I have been taking it for two months, I have definitely not felt like myself and have been depressed & unable to concentrate, and have gained 7 lbs.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 13, 2014 6:52 PM
Review by Peanut100292: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking this pill on and off for a while now. I say about a year. And until I read everyone else's review I've notice why I was moody for a while. Depression was bad I always thought my boyfriend didn't want me. My sex drive went up. I think my over all attitude was kind of trashy. Even if things were going ok the brighter side wouldn't make my day. I like it because I'm never questioning if I'm pregnant but it's best not to miss any pills where you have to take more then one at once because I became really sick...Hours of constant up chucking. I didn't notice no weight issues.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 12, 2014 7:13 PM
Review by Britttttt: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I love this birth control! I've been on it for about 2 months. The first month was rough. I was very gassy, moody, my boobs were so tender (still kinda are) and I spotted for a week then a heavy painful period for another week. However it was so worth how great it's been since getting past that first month! My face is clearer, my hormones are in check, my boobs are bigger but I haven't gained weight anywhere else, and I'm not pregnant! (And I don't use condoms) would definitely suggest it

January 20, 2014 2:09 AM
Review by JellyBells (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I haven't gotten pregnant on this pill hence I gave it a 10 for effectiveness. I have been on it for 6 months. I have gained 27 lbs on my 5 foot frame. Month one I started noticing a decline in my sex drive. My flawless face became a pepperoni pizza. Still didn't get off the pill the last couple of weeks I started having this feeling of not wanting to do anything that anymore. Did not want to work, nor go to school, and started doubting my feelings for my boyfriend. I started crying like a crazy person. It was just hard for me to get up. I was sleepy all the time. I am getting off this.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 13, 2014 12:07 PM
Review by Sylvia055: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: It made me bloated, very moody, depressed, and gained 17 pounds and kept on gaining until switched to a different pill. It did its job, prevents pregnancy but definitely makes you gain a lot of weight. Got off the pill lost the 15 pounds within 2 weeks...

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 29, 2013 6:33 PM
Review by awfully:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: this birth control has made me so sensitive and moody that I'm miserable and miserable to be around!

November 10, 2013 2:14 PM
Review by migraines++: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I tried bcp in college, but they aggravated my migraines. At age 23, my neurologist said that because most of my migraines occurred just before my period, OrthoTricylen would work for me. My migraines got BETTER, my already clear complexion become clearer, and my periods lightened. However, the first three months were tough. My breasts swelled from a 34C to a 34D+ (enough to buy a bigger bra), I was easily enraged, and I became a bit of a space cadet - but it all went away after the first 3 months. I also never got pregnant until after taking this pill. If you have migraines, talk to your neurologist about this pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 7, 2013 12:34 AM
Review by Olive24: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I'm 24, been on it for 1 year. I have gone from 112lbs to 127lbs but have pretty clear skin other than during my period and the week after. Periods come the same day same time each month and are not too heavy. My biggest problem with this pill is my absolute lack in sex drive. Planned parenthood gave me the Nuvaring to try. Hoping it doesn't mess me up!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 4, 2013 12:37 AM
Review by Happy Bunny: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results.

October 3, 2013 10:42 AM
Review by cassier: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): Decided to start Ortho Tri-Cyclen to improve menstrual cycles, PMS symptoms and acne that have grown increasingly worse over the past few years. Been taking it for the past month and I haven't had any nausea - a big plus. (I'd make sure to eat something before I take the pill though) Also, no spotting at all. But I have had deep fatigue, more moodiness/depression, and especially breast swelling/tenderness lasting almost the whole month. However, now I've started my period and have had no cramps, only light bleeding and my energy is back. I think my acne is getting better, though time will tell how much Ortho helps. Long term benefits should outweigh the temporary discomfort, but every woman's different. You'll have to see if it works for you.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 31, 2013 8:11 PM
Review by Mami77 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I took this for about 3 yrs when I was 18-20 yrs old. I liked it and had no issues with it. No weight gain and kept my skin nice. Periods were kind of heavy with cramping but manageable.

July 29, 2013 3:25 PM
Review by jen: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, but I was told that Ortho Tri Cyclen would be free through my insurance if I switched. So I did. I never had a problem on OTCL, and my doctor said that OTC would be pretty much the same and wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. WRONG!!! This pill is absolutely awful. I'm always pissed at everyone. I lose my cool over the smallest things. I'm crying about everything and I'm never happy. My boobs feel like they've gained 20 pounds and are always hurting. My sleep patterns are so crazy and I'm always tired. My boyfriend thinks this pill has made me into bridezilla. I only have 3 days left. Thank goodness. Not pregnant, but not worth all this grief. I'd much rather pay $30 a month to be happy.

July 27, 2013 6:16 PM
Review by Xoxoxo xoxoxo (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have taken this pill for years. It helped predict when my cycle would come and for how long. It was very short and light. Hardly ever had any cramps as well. It also did wonders for acne! I never realized until I switched birth control pills.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 7, 2013 8:43 PM
Review by dreamfashion12: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started taking birth control pills a few years ago but after trying 5 or 6 different ones, I started taking OTC. This is the ONLY pill I have tried that does not make me bleed through half the pack, clears up my acne to an extent, does not affect my mood, and makes my cramps basically nonexistent. It is a miracle pill for me. I think because it has varying amount of hormones each week that mimic your own cycle, it works better for many women. I have not experienced any difference in my weight, I've started working out since I began taking this pill and have lost a little weight. The thing I am happiest about though is that I do not have breakthrough bleeding.

March 10, 2013 1:48 PM
Review by Lilkj: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Effective form of birth control

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 10, 2013 1:05 PM
Review by reviews (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: I was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen because I have been struggling with bad acne for a few years and my dermatologist asked if my periods are regular and they are not because they come a few days late every time so she told me in order to fix your acne I need for your hormones to be normal and all. I was put on this medication and this medication worked really, really well. My oily skin was GONE and my acne was also completely GONE. I couldn't believe it. BUT one month into taking this pill I noticed my hair thinning I thought it was stress. At the end of the 3rd month of taking this pill I realized it wasn't stress its the side effect of the pill. So I stopped taking this pill.

March 4, 2013 10:25 AM
Review by janiece (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I experienced a lot of breakthrough bleeding with this birth control

February 24, 2013 8:33 PM
Review by coldjoy: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking this pill for about 6 months now, and have gained 20 pounds. I haven't made any change to my diet or exercise routine. But the pill's been working well otherwise. I never really got acne, so that stayed about the same, I'm about the same emotionally, except for maybe worse PMS symptoms. My sex drive is outrageous, maybe even a little more than when I started on the pill...I'm just worried about the amount of weight gained in such a short time..I am also really bad at remembering to take the pill every day.

January 27, 2013 2:06 AM
Review by Erinn: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started this birth-control after I had my son, and for a while I thought my post pregnancy hormones were to blame for my moodiness. After four months I realized this birth control was to blame! I am usually happy-go-lucky, and see the best in every situation. NOT on this pill. The smallest things upset me and I would get mad for no reason at all. A friend of mine had the same experience... The only reason I gave it any stars at all was because it did prevent pregnancy unlike the kind I took before!

January 10, 2013 1:28 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This pill made me an irritable, moody, depressed mess. I would fly off the handle at the drop of a hat and was constantly agitated. It was AWFUL for me and I would never take it again. It did manage to clear my skin pretty well and also my breasts were a little bit more full but it was not worth the emotional issues it caused me. I recently stayed on it for 3 months as recommended to see if side effects would lessen but they did not. The fist time I ever took this medicine I was 19 and ended up on anti-depressants because I didn't realize it was the birth control pill causing my mood swings and depression. This led to a tailspin of anti-depressant madness for the next 5 years and not one doctor ever told me I should try a different birth control pill.

December 10, 2012 5:24 PM
Review by yeslek1691 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have PCOS and worked for years on diet and exercise to regulate my period. But never was able to get to regular to where I could predict it. For about nine months prior I was taking metformin to help and I lost about 16 pounds with it. So My gyn recommended taking birth control to help regulate my cycle. My period became regular to between 22-24 day cycle. However I had intense bloating and crazy food cravings, that I have never had before. My mood swings changed to the point where some months I would be really depressed and down. Around the 3 or 4 month of being on the pill I started having severe break through bleeding that lasted between cycles and eventually did go away. Once that stopped I was experiencing severe indigestion.

September 6, 2012 11:06 AM
Review by Karen Shelton (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: First of all, I started taking birth control when I was 17. I started to regulate and lighten my period. I took Yaz for a year. No problems. After I turned 18, my insurance dropped me so I went to a women's clinic and was given six months of the Ortho. I have been taking it for four months now, and once this pack is gone, I'm done. The side effects are HORRIBLE. I have no drive for sex. I'm moody, I cry constantly. My period is heavy and unpredictable. It also lasts forever. I haven't gotten pregnant (we use condoms as well though), but that's the only plus. My relationship is at stake here because of a pill.

June 3, 2012 11:18 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: 28 yr old- healthy/active nurse. Always had minor acne since college but nothing like what I had a year ago last summer (2011). I blame it on YAZ for messing up my hormones. Painful cystic acne covered my jawline and forehead. I'm talking like 20 cysts at a time. Tried every OTC washes, organic, no caffeine, sugar, dairy, you name it. Nothing worked. Even though I did not want to go on the pill, I had too. ORTHO TRI CYCLEN (no the generic) for almost 7 months and finally it's almost clear. It was BAD first few months but I stuck with it. Give it time. PS: Generic is NOT the same as the real thing. Different fillers causes different reactions!

May 15, 2012 3:06 PM