User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 5 reviews 162 medications

Ovarian Cysts 4 reviews 55 medications

5.5
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 122 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

For Acne "I started taking this because my cycle was every 23 days and I heard that it could help with acne too. I never had bad acne just one or two on my chin the week prior to my period. But after taking this my acne is worse than it has ever been. I've been getting cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. And the worst part is that they severely scarred my skin and I never scarred before taking birth control. I've heard that in the first few months it can get worse before it gets better but I'm on my 9th month and it just continues to get worse. But I do like that it completely regulated my period to a 28 day cycle. I've decided to switch to a lower hormone birth control to see if that will help the acne subside."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

For Acne "I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclin for about 12 months and my skin has been flawless. I love how it's cleared up my acne but I'm having major breakthrough bleeding at the moment. I missed 2 pills about 2 weeks ago and I have since then been bleeding continuously and i'm just about to go on my placebo pills, so after i'm finished with this pack it will be about 3 weeks with constant bleeding and it's terrible. Even when I didn't miss any pills I would have breakthrough bleeding the week before I started my placebo pills and it would drive me nuts. Saw my doctor and i'm going to try out another acne birth control, Yasmin so hopefully all goes well...."

SkyH7291 April 27, 2016

For Birth Control "I was prescribed this as my first ever birth control, because I had horrible 14 day long periods. It got to the point where i'd end up dizzy & hyperventilating. So my doc gave me this, so far everything has been normal except my boobs don't feel the same. I've only been on the pill for about three weeks but my bras are all too tight now and the girls feel super heavy. Coming from a 16 year old who's had B cup for a while, this was a surprise. I haven't had any mood swings out of the regular and my acne is nonexistent."

Ash334 April 22, 2016

For Ovarian Cysts "I started this birth control my freshman year of high school (15-16) due to ovarian cysts. I absolutely adored this medication until about six months ago. Six years on the same pill is pretty impressive! I knew exactly when my period would start and end. Friday at three gone by Sunday at one. About six months ago I started feeling v mood swing, sadness (for no reason), crying out of no where, weight gain and inability to loose weight (which in fairness could be caused by my ovarian disease). All of those symptoms are also what people with Thyroid issues have. I had my thyroid checked and it turns out it was an abnormal hormonal level due to long use of this birth control! Other than that i have had absolutely no problems at all."

britbrat101421 April 13, 2016

For Acne "This is my 3rd week on this bc pill! So far I've been quite moody but nothing that has gotten out of control. I've cried for no reason but I'm naturally an emotional person so this doesn't surprise me haha. No weight gain, some headaches and fatigue but nothing intolerable. I had to take Tylenol like 2 or 3 times and every thing was fine. HOWEVER, I am have a mini cystc constellation on one side of my chin :( hoping this will be better and wont happen again. I also got a random cyst on my fore head. I normally only break out on my cheeks."

Moderate Cystic Acne gal March 30, 2016

For Birth Control "This birth control had given me side effects from the start, moodiness, weight gain( ten pounds), headaches, nausea, it did clear my skin which is what I went on it for however 8 months into taking it I was admitted into the hospital with bi lateral blood clots in my lungs. I understand this may just be specific to my case but just because it is a lo estrogen birthcontrol does not mean clots can not happen. Please be aware and if risk of clotting runs in your family or you are at all concerned please talk with your doctor before you take this pill."

Kathleen Rivera March 28, 2016

For Birth Control "Only been 3 months on the Lo but I've definitely seen some changes. Yes it has allowed me to be more regular in my cycle and my cramps are lessened+flow is lighter, which is what I originally had asked for from my first bc and what I received and why I gave a 6/10. However, the side effects are so rough :/ I'm already an emotional trainwreck of a teenager with psychotic depression bpd and avpd and this bc seems to put all my emotions in a bottle of soda and shake until I break down. In addition, I've had a a much larger appetite since starting and have gained 20 pounds since I began taking it, and I've had a lot more migraines and dizzy spells (I'm a mess). Overall, I don't really like, and will most likely switch to a new bc asap"

DisappointmentUser (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 24, 2016

For Birth Control "Well I had a terrible experience on this birthcontrol. I won't say it's a terrible birth control because I know everyone is different. But starting off I experienced mild nausea and mood swings. I was much more snippy then usual and irritable. After the first week I started getting a few deep cystic pimples, one along my jaw and another on my chin. The worst part was my first menstrual cycle, it was excruciating strong cramps like someone stabbed me, radiating to my legs and stomach. I couldn't walk. LARGE clots, I ran thru super plus tampons every hour. I became so anemic I was advised to go to the ER by my PCP. But over all, I didn't get pregnant? Wasn't worth it to me. I stopped after two months I couldn't adjust to this pill."

Heathercheddar March 22, 2016

For Acne "I never had acne problems just a few hormonal breakouts once a montb. I had taken another type of pill for 6 years before switching to tri cyclen at the suggestion of my dr. This has given me terrible TERRIBLE acne. There has not been one other change in my life with the exception of switching birth control. I'm in my late twenties and I am now suffering with terrible acne. I see that most people have positive results but if you are like me I want you to know you aren't alone and some of us just got a crappy deal here. I have decided to stop taking the pill and see what happens to my skin. I will consider another option going forward."

elly87 March 21, 2016

For Birth Control "Just some of my background so some of you can relate: I'm 115lbs, 23 years old, in my third month of taking Try Cyclen which is the first BC I ever went on. So far thank God no pregnancies, although increased amount of discharge and I got a vaginal infection which I never had before and that was strange. At first I gained weight and my breasts went up a size which was great but now I'm back to loosing a lot of weight. Yes mood swings have increased but I was always emotional and thought of myself as someone with depression lol so you guys really have to be careful about what is really considered to be called depression. Periods have stayed the same, just a little bit more regulated which is also a plus. So far no drastic changes."

lingling922 March 15, 2016

For Acne "I went on the pill for my acne and I have to say that for that IT COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER. I used to have horrible cystic acne and it was constant but after starting the pill my face is consistently clear. The downside, CRAZY moodswings. I literally burst into tears for no reason all the time and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression which I never had before I started the pill. I can go from having the best day of my life to not moving from bed for two days in an instant and that scares me so I will be choosing not to take the pill anymore as even though I love having clear skin, I dont want to sacrifice my sanity."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

For Birth Control "Definitely does its job. light and manageable periods that last 5-6 days. skin has never been so clear. About 4 pounds of weight gain which is no problem. But, I am MOODY. I have always been a happy person and this pill causes you to snap easily and cry easily. Still rating a 10 because it does its job and other than mood swings I have no complaints"

nichole26 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 1, 2016

For Birth Control "Protected against pregnancy but horrible side effects. Crying for no reason, migraines and temporary blindness!"

Gggggggggggg February 24, 2016

For Birth Control "This was the first brand of oral birth control I tried. Within an hour of taking it, I experienced awful pains in my uterus and spine. It was my normal period pains x100. I also became so nauseous and sick because of it that I had to take time out."

Kam180 February 19, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 25 years old and have been taking this for over 2 years now. 2 years ago I was 145 lbs and now I am 165 and miserable. My husband and I have been dieting and exercising for the past year and half and I have only gained weight, never lost. I finally went to my doctor with the following symptoms: tired all the time even with 10 hours of sleep, mood swing (which effect my relationship), depression, sadness (for no reason), crying out of no where, weight gain and inability to loose weight, bad skin. All of those symptoms are also what people with Thyroid issues have. Well I get my thyroid tested this past week and its normal. I read these reviews and bam! I am getting off this immediately and I am really upset I did not read these sooner."

Stefanie423 February 18, 2016

For Birth Control "I was hospitalized within the first 3 weeks of taking Tricyclen as I had a severe side effect. It created excess spinal fluid in my body causing pressure on my brain. This required two lumbar punctures to help drain my spinal fluid following by a week of being bedridden. Please please please talk to your doctor before taking this. I have never had a problem like this with BC before until I got put on Tricyclen and threw the rest of them out."

JamieG1234 (taken for less than 1 month) February 12, 2016

For Birth Control "I am 18 and have been on tri-cyclen since I was 16. The first 3 months of taking the pill were rough, I was always tired, gained a little weight, and had mood swings. HOWEVER, as it says on the pill pack instructions and through personal experience, as you continue to take it, all of the symptoms go away. I am back to my normal weight (I am 5'2" 108 pounds), not tired anymore, have 100% clear skin, and extremely short, painless periods. I have even forgot to take a pill and it never failed to work, making these great for girls who are just starting birth control. These are low dose so weight gain is NOT a symptom!!! Most of the negative reviews are from women (who are advised not to take oral contraceptives, 35 years old)"

Lynn23997 (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 11, 2016

For Acne "I used this drug for the sole purpose to control my moderate acne. Side effects: Noticeably more emotional for the first few weeks. After usage of 1 year: My acne has decreased dramatically, but I'm not quite sure if it's because I stopped stressing about my acne, or because I changed my hair products, or because of this drug by itself. My skin started getting clearer around 7 months in to taking this medication. Like I said, I don't know if it was because of this, but I don't want to stop taking it because I'm scared my acne will return back to the way it was. It seems that the longer I've taken it, the clearer my skin has become. :)"

senorababylegs February 11, 2016

For Acne "I took ortho tri cyclen for about six months,plenty of time to give it a chance to completely clear my acne but unfortunately that was not the case. My skin always had at least 3 zits. I experienced major spotting almost constantly and only had about 2 months of no blood. I was extremely moody as if I was bipolar and/or always about to get my period.The breakthrough bleeding was so painful. I had to take Tylenol at least once a day.This was my experience but my 23 year old friend loves it and her skin is never better but she does have spotting. I got a 9 month supply of this pill for free "

EMMSTHENAME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

For Acne "I've had issues with acne since around middle school and have literally tried everything from different topical creams to antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotics were not a safe long term fix so I initially started taking Beyaz and was on that bc for about 4 months. My acne did not improve that significantly so my dermo switched me to Ortho Tricyclen about 3 months ago. I think that you should be aware that your acne will probably get a little worse before it gets better. I had a horrible break out like 2 months in and I got super frustated but now my acne is so much better on my face and chest so I think it's working! I have also been taking spironolactone as well."

Lex2233 January 31, 2016

For Acne "So I have been on the pill for just over a month and have noticed my acne get a bit worse. Other than that, it's all positive. Absolutely no mood swings (if anything it has made me more calm)... zero cramps and lighter period. My boobs have increased at least a full cup size! Will give this a try for at least another 5 months as I have heard that acne can get worse before it gets better :)"

nataliepeds January 20, 2016

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding "I went through a number of birth control pills and even had the implanon, each one gave me some sort of side effect (mostly horrible mood swings, terrible breakthrough needing and depression) I started taking this pill a couple months after I had my daughter and it worked great for me. But as soon as my prescription ran out and I had to wait a few days to get back on schedule, I just kept bleeding. It's been going on for two weeks now and I'm still bleeding today, IDK what to do about this I'm so frustrated because this has been the only pill that hasn't severely altered my hormones until recently. Should I continue the usage and wait it out a but longer? Really don't want to be pregnant again. "

Lillya07 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 17, 2016

For Acne "I'm finishing my first pack of Ortho currently. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I'm breaking out worse, my acne is more inflamed, and my skin is looking more rough overall. Before starting this medication, my acne was mainly inflamed pustules with a pus-filled head covering my cheeks. Now I'm getting minor "cysts" that are completely under the skin and very red, and really really hurt. My acne has never hurt before and now it is, so that's a change. Also I have more general whiteheads than before. Also noticed my acne is increasing in my chin/jawline area, and beforehand my acne was mainly concentrated in my cheeks. I'm disappointed so far and wondering if I should even continue."

Lc123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

For Birth Control "I first went on this pill when I was 20 years old. Everything seemed to be fine. Periods were lighter, no mood swings, no weight gain. Acne was so so. Skip ahead 2 years later and went on a trip and forgot to bring my birth control with me because I had my period at the time and the days just evaded me. So I waited until my next period to take it again. Once I got back on it, I had intense mood swings for no reason and tremendous weight gain that keeps continuing. I gained 30 pounds in 6 months since getting back on the pill. My eating habits haven't changed and I've actually been more active but pounds keep coming. It definitely effects sex drive because the month I was off it was high and then went low again after."

Meli57754 (taken for 2 to 5 years) January 3, 2016

For Ovarian Cysts "Works bc ever constant migraine all day everyday nausea...loss of appetite..breast so sore I didn't wear a bra for a week. GOOD THING! My period started 2nd day I stopped taking it. No bc ever worked that fast for me"

TyAnna December 30, 2015