User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 3 reviews 177 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ortho Tri-Cyclen reviews 59 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Review by Quinnzie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I'm using this pill for the second time -- for the last few years, I didn't need birth control as the man I was committed to had a vasectomy. The first time I used Ortho TriCyclen I was 18 and continued use until 21. Now I'm 25 and have been using it again for 2 months now. I love this pill! The only negatives I've experienced have been very mild and include slight weight gain (5 lbs), but mainly in the breasts and hips (and whoever complained about looking more like an hourglass??), and I've also, after two periods on it, have noticed that my periods are more painful. It's not awful in my case, I never really had a problem with cramping anyway without the pill. But, my periods are very light, short (2-3 days), and manageable. No complaints!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 17, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by olivia1234323:

For Acne: So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by SJF123489 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Birth Control: I took it for a while mainly for acne and I wanted the IED but my OB suggested I try this as a birth control method as well as help with my acne after I had my first child. I must admit it did wonders on my periods and acne. I had lighter and shorter periods but my sex drive went DOWN. I also missed a weeks worth of the pill due to not picking it from the pharmacy so I waited till my next period to restart it and now I'm nauseated and cramping super bad, this is the second day back on it and my period ended just last week. I started my period again right after taking the pill the Sunday after my period ended and now I feel like POO. I know it will pass as I take it as I said above I had a great first experience besides having no sex drive.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2014 9:33 AM

Review by Jay6829:

For Birth Control: I had an okay experience at first, the only positive thing was that my periods were lighter. The cramping was awful though. I constantly had a headache caused from the estrogen levels so they switched me to something not so high. I was on it for 3 months before they switched me to Aviane.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 6, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Jilligoat:

I really don't like birth control. However, my boyfriend and I decided to do the responsible thing, and I got on it. I've been on it for nearly 2 months, and I've already gained 5 pounds. I've been the same weight for the past 3 years, and haven't had any lifestyle/diet changes since I started the pill. I blame Ortho Tri Cyclen. I also have broken out terribly -- my skin has always been pretty good (with the occasional pimple here and there), but since I've started this pill ... Yikes. Cyst-like acne all over my chin and cheeks. I went to my doctor to switch, so I'm going to try and find the right pill for me. I can't continue to gain weight and break out like this, that's all I know.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 7:35 PM

Review by Shanny112 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Birth Control: I had no spotting, weight gain or acne on this pill but it did not help me with PMS.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 6, 2014 10:37 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: In my opinion, this pill really has many positive things to it. I've had no moods swings. I've been able to control my weight so much easier on this pill and my periods have been lighter and shorter. The only problem the first week I used it I've been nauseated. Other than that great pill.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 29, 2014 6:20 PM

Review by Ashley55:

For Birth Control: I've been on different pills for the past 7 years due to extreme period cramps and acne as well but I've been on this Ortho TriCyclen for 2 years and I just want to say that Birth control does NOT affect your weight. It affects your appetite hence the fact we gain weight. The reason I know is because Its easy for me to gain and lose while on the pill if I eat a lot I gain instantly. If I exercise and eat healthy same thing! I lose a lot faster on this pill. This pill makes it easy for me to maintain my weight due to the lifestyle I live! My acne has cleared up dramatically and my cramps are gone and my period lasts between 4-5 days. I always use condoms but gave it an 8 due to loss in sex drive but other than that, it's great pill!

May 7, 2014 4:12 AM

Review by SnoopsMom2914:

For Acne: I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen.

May 1, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by saymm:

For Acne: I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by Jax1234:

For Birth Control: First time on birth control and I started with this one mainly because I had terrible cramps and period side effects. Doctor recommended Ortho Tri-Cyclen and I have been using it for 4 months now. Can't complain about the pill. My face has significantly become clearer. Still have pretty bad cramping though. My period now lasts about 4-5 days versus the 6-7. I Also had weight gain. Gained 15lbs in a matter of 3 mths. I am 5'8 and normally weigh 115 so for me it wasn't a big deal. I definitely felt my breast a lot heavier too. I rarely suffer from headaches and this pill made me get one almost every other day, which was annoying and uncomfy. Had to switch due to break through bleeding though, Either Azurette or Lutera.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 13, 2014 7:16 PM

Review by Anonymous456 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I took Ortho Tri-Cyclen from when I was 16-20 years old the first time, and I recently started taking it again 2 months ago. Both times, I experienced an increase in cup size (~2 cups), which was nice, but I think part of that is connected to weight gain. After I switched to a different birth control the first time, I dropped about 7 lbs. over the course of a few months. I then stopped the other birth control because I was having some bad side effects and dropped another 10 additional lbs., but on the downside my breast size decreased to an A (the size it was when I was 17 prior to taking Ortho Tri-Cyclen). Now that I have been taking it for two months, I have definitely not felt like myself and have been depressed & unable to concentrate, and have gained 7 lbs.

February 13, 2014 6:52 PM

Review by Peanut100292:

For Birth Control: I've been taking this pill on and off for a while now. I say about a year. And until I read everyone else's review I've notice why I was moody for a while. Depression was bad I always thought my boyfriend didn't want me. My sex drive went up. I think my over all attitude was kind of trashy. Even if things were going ok the brighter side wouldn't make my day. I like it because I'm never questioning if I'm pregnant but it's best not to miss any pills where you have to take more then one at once because I became really sick...Hours of constant up chucking. I didn't notice no weight issues.

February 12, 2014 7:13 PM

Review by Britttttt:

For Birth Control: I love this birth control! I've been on it for about 2 months. The first month was rough. I was very gassy, moody, my boobs were so tender (still kinda are) and I spotted for a week then a heavy painful period for another week. However it was so worth how great it's been since getting past that first month! My face is clearer, my hormones are in check, my boobs are bigger but I haven't gained weight anywhere else, and I'm not pregnant! (And I don't use condoms) would definitely suggest it

January 20, 2014 2:09 AM

Review by JellyBells (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I haven't gotten pregnant on this pill hence I gave it a 10 for effectiveness. I have been on it for 6 months. I have gained 27 lbs on my 5 foot frame. Month one I started noticing a decline in my sex drive. My flawless face became a pepperoni pizza. Still didn't get off the pill the last couple of weeks I started having this feeling of not wanting to do anything that anymore. Did not want to work, nor go to school, and started doubting my feelings for my boyfriend. I started crying like a crazy person. It was just hard for me to get up. I was sleepy all the time. I am getting off this.

January 13, 2014 12:07 PM

Review by Sylvia055:

For Birth Control: It made me bloated, very moody, depressed, and gained 17 pounds and kept on gaining until switched to a different pill. It did its job, prevents pregnancy but definitely makes you gain a lot of weight. Got off the pill lost the 15 pounds within 2 weeks...

November 29, 2013 6:33 PM

Review by awfully:

For Birth Control: this birth control has made me so sensitive and moody that I'm miserable and miserable to be around!

November 10, 2013 2:14 PM

Review by migraines++:

For Birth Control: I tried bcp in college, but they aggravated my migraines. At age 23, my neurologist said that because most of my migraines occurred just before my period, OrthoTricylen would work for me. My migraines got BETTER, my already clear complexion become clearer, and my periods lightened. However, the first three months were tough. My breasts swelled from a 34C to a 34D+ (enough to buy a bigger bra), I was easily enraged, and I became a bit of a space cadet - but it all went away after the first 3 months. I also never got pregnant until after taking this pill. If you have migraines, talk to your neurologist about this pill.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 7, 2013 12:34 AM

Review by Olive24:

For Birth Control: I'm 24, been on it for 1 year. I have gone from 112lbs to 127lbs but have pretty clear skin other than during my period and the week after. Periods come the same day same time each month and are not too heavy. My biggest problem with this pill is my absolute lack in sex drive. Planned parenthood gave me the Nuvaring to try. Hoping it doesn't mess me up!

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2013 12:37 AM

Review by Happy Bunny:

For Acne: I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results.

October 3, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by cassier:

Decided to start Ortho Tri-Cyclen to improve menstrual cycles, PMS symptoms and acne that have grown increasingly worse over the past few years. Been taking it for the past month and I haven't had any nausea - a big plus. (I'd make sure to eat something before I take the pill though) Also, no spotting at all. But I have had deep fatigue, more moodiness/depression, and especially breast swelling/tenderness lasting almost the whole month. However, now I've started my period and have had no cramps, only light bleeding and my energy is back. I think my acne is getting better, though time will tell how much Ortho helps. Long term benefits should outweigh the temporary discomfort, but every woman's different. You'll have to see if it works for you.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2013 8:11 PM

Review by Mami77 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Birth Control: I took this for about 3 yrs when I was 18-20 yrs old. I liked it and had no issues with it. No weight gain and kept my skin nice. Periods were kind of heavy with cramping but manageable.

July 29, 2013 3:25 PM

Review by jen:

For Birth Control: I've been taking Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo, but I was told that Ortho Tri Cyclen would be free through my insurance if I switched. So I did. I never had a problem on OTCL, and my doctor said that OTC would be pretty much the same and wouldn't even be able to tell the difference. WRONG!!! This pill is absolutely awful. I'm always pissed at everyone. I lose my cool over the smallest things. I'm crying about everything and I'm never happy. My boobs feel like they've gained 20 pounds and are always hurting. My sleep patterns are so crazy and I'm always tired. My boyfriend thinks this pill has made me into bridezilla. I only have 3 days left. Thank goodness. Not pregnant, but not worth all this grief. I'd much rather pay $30 a month to be happy.

July 27, 2013 6:16 PM

Review by Xoxoxo xoxoxo (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Birth Control: I have taken this pill for years. It helped predict when my cycle would come and for how long. It was very short and light. Hardly ever had any cramps as well. It also did wonders for acne! I never realized until I switched birth control pills.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 7, 2013 8:43 PM

Review by dreamfashion12:

For Birth Control: I started taking birth control pills a few years ago but after trying 5 or 6 different ones, I started taking OTC. This is the ONLY pill I have tried that does not make me bleed through half the pack, clears up my acne to an extent, does not affect my mood, and makes my cramps basically nonexistent. It is a miracle pill for me. I think because it has varying amount of hormones each week that mimic your own cycle, it works better for many women. I have not experienced any difference in my weight, I've started working out since I began taking this pill and have lost a little weight. The thing I am happiest about though is that I do not have breakthrough bleeding.

March 10, 2013 1:48 PM