User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Acne 67 reviews 505 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate reviews 964 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Review by Jessica47 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I switched to Sprintec (because it was cheap) from Amethia after losing my insurance. I began experiencing acne breakouts on my face and very sudden mood swings, which I had not experienced on Amethia. I am no longer using Sprintec because the side effects are not worth it.

July 20, 2014 5:17 PM

Review by addyhav:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have not had really any problems. EXCEPT. I feel nauseous all the dang time. It's terrible. Besides that I have had clear skin and I use to have 7 day period. And it slimmed down to 5 which is no problem. But being nauseous all the time is terrible.

July 17, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by itiscrazyithink (taken for 10 years or more):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have been on this specific brand for over 10 years. Take it every night before I go to bed. I have had weight gain but its a maintained gain but its been 100% effective, never been pregnant! My sexual urges visit me usually in my 2nd week after my period, so hasn't completely killed my libido. Normal periods lasting from Wednesday to Sunday... Been fabulous for me!

July 15, 2014 11:30 PM

Review by Syd0001:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I was nervous to start taking birth control after reading up on all of the side effects and being the worrier that I am. However, I've been taking Sprintec for 5 months now and it hasn't had any negative side effects. I'm very relieved. I would recommend this brand to anyone looking into birth control. It has helped my minor acne greatly and also lightened my very heavy period so that now it is average and doesn't last 8 days! I would recommend setting an alarm on your phone for the same time every day so you remember to take it. It was definitely a great decision to start taking Sprintec. Best of luck!

July 14, 2014 10:50 PM

Review by Alysssia:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking Trinessa for 3 weeks now. I have a little stomach pain sometimes but I guess I can deal with it and it is clearing my face which was something I notice today while looking in the mirror, I was glowing, loved it but I've been bloated and I really don't like looking pregnant when I'm not...but I do hope I'll gain weight just not in my stomach.

July 13, 2014 4:12 AM

Review by Kelya:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been bleeding constantly, to the point I can't even have sex. It's like I'm constantly on my period I am switching as soon as I get the chance!!

July 13, 2014 12:11 AM

Review by cutiepie2014:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My doctor prescribe me this birth control to help control my period. I am bleeding heavy and heavier. I stopped taking them. Heading to the ER, this is unbelievable.

July 11, 2014 12:10 AM

Review by Ari98 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I was first put in Tri-Sprintec, which worked wonderfully for me, but my pharmacy switched me to Tri-Previfem. I've good news and bad news about this pill. The good news: I've not gotten pregnant. The bad news: after being switched over, I've realized a shocking change in my mood. I'm much more depressed, and I have developed a case of anxiety. I have experienced several anxiety attacks after being switched to this pill. I'm contemplating asking my doctor to change my prescription. If you wish to not get pregnant, then take this pill, but you may undergo dramatic changes in your mood.

July 10, 2014 10:25 PM

Review by Dakota1234:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: I'm 17 and this is the first method of birth control I have tried, been taking it for three weeks. It has been Amazing! My acne has completely cleared up in all areas (whole face, chest, back) and I have had no bad side effects!

July 8, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by Kyrstendavis (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: As of today I have just started my first Placebo pill in my first month of Tri-Sprintec. For the first week or two I noticed increased nausea and breast tenderness, the nausea subsided but the breast tenderness still lingers (just not as bad). I got on this birth control in June to prevent pregnancy, so far for the whole preventing pregnancy it's wonderful. Periods come right on time and I had no clue of her arrival (no cramps, moodiness etc) which I love! Since I've been on it, the past month I have actually lost 16 pounds and I am quite alright with that, I have decreased appetite which is also a good thing because before I started birth control I would eat every chance I got. Overall this pill is great! You just have to try it out for you!

July 7, 2014 5:36 AM

Review by Jay6829:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I had an okay experience at first, the only positive thing was that my periods were lighter. The cramping was awful though. I constantly had a headache caused from the estrogen levels so they switched me to something not so high. I was on it for 3 months before they switched me to Aviane.

July 6, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by Brittbrat (taken for less than 1 month):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been on this for about a month now. I'm 25 and my sex drive is almost completely gone. I started it before my period so my doctor said that my period would be late. I was fine with that. It wasn't late I started out with spotting and then what was like a normal flow. I'm now going on almost 2 weeks of bleeding. I hardly ever get cramps and on this it's pretty much cramps so often that I want to double over in pain. I get lightheaded and dizzy, nausea, my mood swings are crazy. I go from happy to crying or angry for no reason. I noticed my breasts have been tender. My feet and hands have swelling issues to the point where it hurts to walk or grab anything. I'm on the placebo part of my first pack so I'm hoping the side effects go away.

July 6, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by mookie spence:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Ovarian Cysts: It helps with the heavy bleeding and long periods, but thats it! I get so sick to my stomach on these, I have real bad PMS and sore breasts and nipples and it doesn't do anything for my skin or hair.

July 6, 2014 12:02 AM

Review by chemical_kid (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been on Trinessa for almost 6 months now and I haven't seen many issues with it. When I first started I was a bit moody, but now that side effect seems to have gone away. Also I've had somewhat irregular periods while on the pill. I've had no headaches, weight gain, my skin has cleared up a lot since starting it. I'd definitely recommend it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 4, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by lynnsur:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: My GYN prescribed it. She said I could have unprotected sex seven days later. The first day I took it, I felt nauseous but I expected it because I did my research. I had unprotected sex on the eighth day- 4 days before my expected period. My period then was late. I thought I was pregnant but the tests results were negative. I then had a horrible migraine lasting for more than one week- on and off during the day. I never get migraines. My cramps were horrible and I felt like I was dying. I had really bad neck aches, back aches and leg aches. I was supposed to try it for 3 months then report to my GYN but I couldn't do it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by DiDi22:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: My periods come about three placebo pills in every month. I have absolutely no cramps (although I did when I stopped taking it for a little while). I had a little weight gain but that could also be attributed to campus food. The only serious issue is that my libido has seriously plummeted.

July 1, 2014 10:07 AM

Review by newbtocontrol:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I'm on the first week and I've been crying for no reason, getting angry at basically the drop of a pen and extremely exhausted and hungry. I hope this changes soon.. I'll give it two months at most, I hope to see an improvement in that time.

June 30, 2014 3:59 AM

Review by Jilligoat:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for : I really don't like birth control. However, my boyfriend and I decided to do the responsible thing, and I got on it. I've been on it for nearly 2 months, and I've already gained 5 pounds. I've been the same weight for the past 3 years, and haven't had any lifestyle/diet changes since I started the pill. I blame Ortho Tri Cyclen. I also have broken out terribly -- my skin has always been pretty good (with the occasional pimple here and there), but since I've started this pill ... Yikes. Cyst-like acne all over my chin and cheeks. I went to my doctor to switch, so I'm going to try and find the right pill for me. I can't continue to gain weight and break out like this, that's all I know.

June 28, 2014 7:35 PM

Review by Brittbee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have been on this birth control for 3 months now, it seems to be effective. I am baby free & my periods are more regulated now. However, I have noticed that I am hungry ALL the time...all I want to do is snack, and have really intense cravings. I haven't gained any weight because I try to keep that under control, but it is hard. I have also noticed that this birth control has helped with my breast soreness/tenderness before my period. Now they do not hurt nearly as bad whereas before I was in terrible pain so bad that it hurt to put a bra on. Oh and this medication is free. So that's a plus.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 28, 2014 5:48 AM

Review by cRobiee25 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been on Tri-Nessa for about a year. But I have had one pretty serious side effect, vaginal discharge. I honestly did not think about it being a side effect when it started. I went to my doctor and they treated it as a yeast infection but nothing helped. My doctor told me I was just one of the few women that had regular discharge. Now that I have been off of Tri-Nessa for only a month, the discharge has stopped. I am now going to try and change medications.

June 27, 2014 12:25 PM

Review by elki (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I been on Mononessa for the past 2 years and have only stuck with it this long because it was the best I had yet to try (was extremely sick on Aviane and had heavy, long, unbearable periods with Ortho Tri-Cyclen) and it was free on my insurance. After 2 years my periods are still irregular, I experience recurring headaches, and I'm constantly bloated and have gained 10 pounds. Not to mention moodiness, feeling foggy, and decreased libido.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 26, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by eleveneleven:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I gave Sprintec a 10, for effectiveness. This will be rather long: when I first started the pill everything was normal. I got my period 3 pills into the placebo pills ( and I have every month since) I noticed that I do have some vaginal discharge but it is normal and it happens usually when I get a new pack. When im in my period my crampa actually worsened, and id often get terrible leg cramps that would wake me up in dead sleep. But fortunately the leg cramps disappeared a few months in. Mood Changes, I do tend to get mad easily now and cry a lot more than I used too. Also it made my sex drive plummet, I was not interested in anything sexual. Also it made my orgasms be very fainy and last maybe 3 seconds. This did go away a little.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 25, 2014 4:10 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started taking the pill for my irregular cycle and it has worked but I've noticed I started having headaches, bloating and terrible mood swings. In addition, I've become somewhat lazy and gained a tad bit of weight. I'm about to be on my next set of pills starting tomorrow so I hope it gets better.

June 25, 2014 10:34 AM

Review by claveles (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Previfem kept me from getting pregnant, so that's great, but it gave me awful, painful, 2+ week long withdrawal bleeds. I would start bleeding right in the middle of my active pills, almost two full weeks before my placebo pills started. The bleeding didn't really let up until the placebo pills were gone. It wasn't minor bleeding, either; it was heavy and accompanied by cramps/backaches. I would get migraines here and there, too, ranging in severity. I thought these symptoms would let up eventually, but I took it for three months with no luck. Personally, I just couldn't deal with the excessively long withdrawal bleeds. I switched over to Microgestin Fe 1/20 after three cycles and have had a much better experience so far.

June 24, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by lamaslinda (taken for 1 to 2 years):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking this birth control for over a year and its probably the best one so far. Its cleared my skin so much, I haven't gained any weight at all, and most importantly the periods are shorter. The bloating is horrible, the cramps don't usually last for more than 1 day. Like every other birth control it has cons, the mood swings and the bloating are pretty much the only ones I've experienced. I would recommend this to a friend.

June 22, 2014 5:36 AM