User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Acne 69 reviews 506 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate reviews 994 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Review by olivia1234323:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,

August 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by sunlika:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Recently got back on birth control after many years of not being on it. This pill is okay. It's a contraceptive and does its job, but it wasn't the pill for me. Easy to take by mouth, no big deal. But, the side effects for me were: I would headaches after taking the pill and sometimes randomly during the day. Also, the third week i started the new color, my emotions were off the wall. I wasn't eating properly and was over thinking EVERYTHING. I asked to switch & now will be trying the generic version. Just because this pill wasn't for me, doesn't mean it is for someone else.

August 20, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by kellymf (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for : The only reason I am prescribed them is to stop my period for several months (I skip the inactive pills and start a new pack). The first month was okay but into week 3 of my second month I started having heavy "spotting", enough to need a tampon. Two weeks later I called my Dr to inform them that I had been bleeding for two weeks straight and ask what was going on. They insist that my body is just getting used to the hormones and to keep taking them. It has now been over a month, I'm almost done with my third pack and the bleeding/spotting every day is STILL an issue. On the rare moments when it's light enough for sex, forget about it. I have no desire and dry as the desert. I'm also extremely tired and have had random breakouts.

August 19, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started Sprintec last November for my heavy periods, and for that it's working great. It has reduced my periods from 10 days to 5 days and after the first few months, they are now incredibly predictable. I know exactly when they'll start and end and what flow intensity to expect each day. They have also considerably lightened my periods. The only side effect I have noticed is weight gain. It may not have helped that I started the pill around the holidays, as I have found myself with a bigger appetite since starting Sprintec. I gained about 10lbs by about January (but I haven't gained since then due to changes in diet) and went up about 1.5-2 cup sizes (SO annoying since I'm an athlete). My butt and thighs also got noticeably bigger.

August 15, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by zzlacey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This pill truly gets 10 stars! I am just about to finish up my first month and I am so happy I started taking these pills. I was prescribed Sprintec but was given the equivalent Mononessa. Mononessa has cleared up my moderate to severe acne in just one month! It is truly a miracle as I have tried literally EVERYTHING to get rid of acne. It is so amazing to wake up with clear skin....also, my pubic hair has stopped growing in many places and does not grow very fast..also, no razorburn! uhhh...YAY! I also feel like I am not retaining as much water weight. I have not gotten sick on this pill. The only side effects I have had are being extremely tired, high sex drive, vaginal dryness, and a slight decrease in appetite. You should certainly try this pill.

August 15, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by Lynn129:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: The pill started great until everytime I take it I want to vomit all the time. Practically, had the experience of a pregnant woman. I gained weight, was expected and had terrible headaches don't go away for hours. Impossible to sleep without wanting to vomit. I've been having emotional problems feeling depressed and crying without reason.

August 14, 2014 3:42 AM

Review by Not Worth The Pain:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've only been on for a month and a half, but my body has DRASTICALLY changed. The abdominal pain is unbearable, I've missed work multiple times because I'm unable to leave the bathroom. The bloating has been out of control, and besides my normal acid reflux disease, the extra heartburn has me constantly sick - no matter what I eat. The first 1.5 weeks of the pill pack are the worst, I cant eat or sleep, and the migraines are awful. Moody, lack of desire to do anything, which is NOT like me. The only benefit is a bit of a weaker period, but the side-effects are unbearable.

August 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Hakuna Moscato (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Ovarian Cysts: Took this pill at first just because I had cysts that I had to remove surgically. I'm talkin like 12cm cysts. This pill not only helps with my cysts, but I have no mood swings, my periods are controlled, my skin has never been better, and my sex life is great. No cramping anymore at all! Perfect for me!

August 11, 2014 4:42 PM

Review by KimberlyV:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started taking this medication to help control bleeding. It worked great for stopping that but I traded in the bleeding for serve cramping. I cramp off and on through out the day. The cramps feel like I am going through a really bad period. The pain will stop me in my tracks and I have to hold myself or bend over to help to easy the pain.

August 11, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Syd123:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This birth control was very effective, the side effects weren't too bad. The side effects I had were breast being sore, increase in appetite, and very bad mood swings. I would never get mad at the things I've gotten mad at while on this pill. Otherwise, periods were good and 3 days long, no nausea after the first day of taking it

August 9, 2014 9:22 PM

Review by SJF123489 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I took it for a while mainly for acne and I wanted the IED but my OB suggested I try this as a birth control method as well as help with my acne after I had my first child. I must admit it did wonders on my periods and acne. I had lighter and shorter periods but my sex drive went DOWN. I also missed a weeks worth of the pill due to not picking it from the pharmacy so I waited till my next period to restart it and now I'm nauseated and cramping super bad, this is the second day back on it and my period ended just last week. I started my period again right after taking the pill the Sunday after my period ended and now I feel like POO. I know it will pass as I take it as I said above I had a great first experience besides having no sex drive.

August 8, 2014 9:33 AM

Review by Jack sun:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have been taking TriPrevifem for about 7 months now and no complaints whatsoever. After the second month of taking Tri-Previfem my period has definitely done a 360* and regulates monthly now. I haven't felt on edge and I have lost weight as well as going down a cup size on my breasts. It's a great pill, but know the tablet can vary in side effects depending what your body can handle. FYI: definitely research on your own as well as talking with your primary doctor!

August 7, 2014 9:02 PM

Review by Annon678:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking Trinessa for about 2 and a half months. The first week upon taking it, I had severe abdominal pain and headaches. I was hungry all the time but, due to the warning that I would have increased cravings, I controlled it rather well. It seemed to get better throughout the month, my face was clearing up, I had energy again, but I still got minor to severe pains on a regular basis. My period came after three days of being on the inactive pills and lasted 4 days. My cramps improved drastically and I was still hormonal, just less. I started back on the pills again and the first day I experienced extreme nausea and vomited. The nausea has continued to follow me for the past weeks, now I am looking into the Nuvaring.

August 6, 2014 9:47 AM

Review by Julianasmom0908:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome 2 months ago by my OBGYN. Earlier this year I began to experience a number of odd symptoms such as. 1.Severe mood swings 2.Skipped periods 3.Extreme bloating 4.Mild acne 5.Diminished libido I was put on Sprintec and the first 2 weeks where HELL. I experienced nausea (lost 5 lbs) I couldn't keep anything down it was out of control! Mood became worse. I was ready to call my doctor and ask her to put me on something else but after the nausea subsided (around week 3) I decided to complete the 3 month trial period. Currently on Month 2 and after my first period I felt better than ever! Mood energy and sex drive are at an all time high. I will definitely stay on Sprintec.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 5, 2014 3:39 PM

Review by Monarch Butterfly (taken for less than 1 month):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This pill did not work for me, the first day I took it I felt sick and nauseous. I was vomiting alot so I stopped taking it. This is my personal experience with this, I know every body reacts differently. In my case it was no good for me.

August 5, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by nicole_anddime (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Before having my daughter I was on Desogen for 5 yrs, with an amazing experience. It took me two yrs to get pregnant after stopping. Requested the same after baby with little difference. Had to switch 3 months ago for insurance reasons and have been miserable since. I am way more moody (weepy/short fuse), I've gained 5-7 lbs. Terrible bloating the week before my period as well as nausea/vomiting and bad cramps a few days before. Worst symptom: complete destruction of my sex drive. Like... I could really care less. I also started a week early this time for some reason. I am switching back next month and paying the $32 dollars a month until my doctor decides he believes me when I say that one child is enough for me.

August 5, 2014 3:34 AM

Review by Relle (taken for less than 1 month):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I'm almost finished my first pack of Trinessa and the side effects that I've experienced are LOTS of bloating and also vaginal discharge. I've gotten use to the bloating, but the vaginal discharge is annoying and frustrating because I kept thinking it was a yeast infection or something like that and everything I've taken to try to get rid of it has not worked and it was driving me crazy, but after reading some of the reviews for Trinessa, I realized it must be one of the side effects of the pill because it started when I started taking it. The first week I started the pack, I had a lack of appetite, but I've been eating regularly since then. I haven't experienced any weight gain. Overall Trinessa seems to be a decent birth control

August 4, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Chcharrr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Started Sprintec about 4 months ago. During the first pack I had almost daily breakthrough bleeding, but it disappeared after that. However, last week I took my pill only 2 hours late and I started spotting again as well as getting bad headaches, so definitely try to take it at the same time no matter what. Some weight gain, really bad mood swings during the first few months. Haven't gotten pregnant so it's definitely an effective pill.

August 4, 2014 12:53 PM

Review by vmarieb:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Sprintec is great for me. I have taken it for a year & a half (19 years old) Never had any problems but I guess that shows it works different for everyone. My breasts got bigger. I didn't gain any weight, periods became shorter, lighter periods and I rarely have cramps & if I do they aren't bad. Before I got on Sprintec I had really heavy periods, all 7 days long & horrible cramps to the point where I would miss school and work. It's affordable and I would recommend Sprintec to anyone.

August 4, 2014 6:29 AM

Review by Anonymous... (taken for less than 1 month):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've only been on the Tri-Sprintec pill for a little bit to help my acne clear up and regulate my periods. So the first few days have been fine, but my vagina itches like crazy. It wasn't that bad until the Wednesday after I started the pill. I don't think I've been on it long enough to notice changes in my acne or weight, but I didn't know if anyone else has had the same experience as I have had so far? I also haven't been sick or really felt that bad except for a little stomach aches.

July 31, 2014 2:36 AM

Review by Brooke4721:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been on Sprintec for almost 3 years now, (I'm 19) and I love it! I've never tried anything else, but this seems to work perfect. I started taking it for acne, which it does help with, but no ones skin will ever be perfect. I still have small breakouts. I've never been pregnant, so it definitely works for it's intended purposes! I've never gained weight on Sprintec. My breasts have never been really swollen or painful from my pills like some people experience, (although I'd be alright with them growing a size) haha. I DO think they impact your sex drive though. I find it difficult to become 'naturally' ready for sex. I always have to use lubricants. Other than that, I recommend Sprintec!!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Roxy S:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: This is my 4th month on Trinessa. My doctor put me on it to help with my heavy and irregular periods as well as my acne. The first 2 months didn't seem to have any effect on me other than make me break out. In fact, this first period I had on this medicine seemed longer (around 7 days) and more painful than ever before. I even experienced a bit of sickness around the first week. But I kept taking it, and it has finally started clearing up my acne and the last period I had was only 4 days with minimal cramping. This birth control is pretty effective for me, and it's finally doing it's job. The point is: give it time to work.

July 29, 2014 3:15 AM

Review by Melly16:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I went on this pill a while back to help regulate my period and help with severe cramps. I had an extremely heavy flow and my cramps were so unbearable. Also, I would get my period for 12 days, sometimes twice a month. Since being on the pill, I usually dont get any cramps which is amazing. I also noticed that my skin is always 100% clear. However, I would say that I gained a solid 20 pounds since being on the pill and am currently trying to work it off with healthy eating and regular exercise. Side note, the first week i took this i was throwing up every night and feeling nauseated but if you stick with it those side effects eventually subside. Overall, besides the weight gain I would say that this pill has done wonders.

July 28, 2014 11:39 PM

Review by Jb04 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: After years of having awful period cramps to the point of the first 3 days of it starting I always had to call out of work because I could not do a thing but lay down. Heavy, very heavy bleeding. I have only been on this pill for a month and my first period was actually wonderful. Very light bleeding and almost hard to tell cramps. I even lost 8 pounds without even trying. My face has also cleared up. I have tried all sorts of different birth control, with nothing working closely as well as this. I hope it continues to work this great.

July 26, 2014 2:48 PM

Review by Switching (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've recently been on the pill for 10 months. Great pill, no mood swings, no weight gain. Except Sex is a no go, not in the mood. Vaginal dryness ... recommend KY.

July 26, 2014 12:34 AM