User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Acne 71 reviews 507 medications

Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 151 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate reviews 1011 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Review by kayvee123:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been on Sprintec for years now. Never had any issues, no pregnancy scares and no side effects. My skin is pretty normal and my weight issues have to do more with me stuffing my face with cookies and ice cream than due to birth control.

September 23, 2014 10:59 AM

Review by Funny girl (taken for less than 1 month):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: I primarily took this to control my periods so I don't have to stress out even more on finals week. I have no mood swings but I do get more nauseous than usual. I also got my cystic acne back (6 simples vs 3 tiny usual pimples). I have oily skin and realize that a lot of it has to do with that and not cleaning my face properly. However, I realize that mino cycline and doxycycline have worked wonders with my acne in the past. Though they are not birth control, I would consider those instead for those of you interested in clearing up your skin best.

September 22, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by Jessyy (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This is a great birth control and also has a couple bad side effects I possibly have arthritis in my knee I only noticed shortly after starting this pill. I'm going to the doctor in a couple days to find out what is actually wrong so this pill might not have anything to do with it. The worst side effect is I cry and get upset almost everyday. I have extreme mood swings however my body and face is beautiful and better than ever sex drive is pretty high and great for me. My breasts look fantastic, have grown at least 1 cup size. I don't think I've had weight gain. I have a small flat belly and have only gained weight in the parts a girl would want, my boyfriend loves my body more than ever!

September 19, 2014 11:49 PM

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've been taking Tri-Previfem for a month now. On the second day of being on the pill I experienced constant nausea & stomach pain. When I got my period the cramping became severe almost unbearable & my period last for 2 weeks. This pill is not for me.

September 19, 2014 6:50 AM

Review by Quinnzie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I'm using this pill for the second time -- for the last few years, I didn't need birth control as the man I was committed to had a vasectomy. The first time I used Ortho TriCyclen I was 18 and continued use until 21. Now I'm 25 and have been using it again for 2 months now. I love this pill! The only negatives I've experienced have been very mild and include slight weight gain (5 lbs), but mainly in the breasts and hips (and whoever complained about looking more like an hourglass??), and I've also, after two periods on it, have noticed that my periods are more painful. It's not awful in my case, I never really had a problem with cramping anyway without the pill. But, my periods are very light, short (2-3 days), and manageable. No complaints!

September 17, 2014 12:16 PM

Review by Vannahpie (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I took Trinessa for a year and had no negative side effects, but I decided to try a few other birth control pills in an attempt to have a shorter period. Every single one of them left me moody, depressed, and my sex drive was completely non existent. Trinessa is the only birth control I've been able to find that both helps with acne and doesn't destroy my sex drive. However on the last week of active pills my breasts usually feel heavy and sore and I will break out a little more than the rest of the month.

September 16, 2014 10:45 PM

Review by VannahBoo:

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: It's made me throw up on about 3 occasions, but other than that, it's been very effective.

September 12, 2014 4:00 PM

Review by first time user (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: So I just finished my first month and was TERRIFIED of this birth control after reading the reviews before I started. And honestly I have had zero side effects other than clearer skin and I've actually lost weight rather than gained weight (not sure if it's totally related to the pill or not) and my breasts have been a little sore but not unbearable so don't think too much about the reviews, and try it before you assume you'll be overly emotional and gain weight, it'll just vary but for me this has been awesome so far!

September 9, 2014 8:06 PM

Review by Sarah42:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I am now on the last week of my second pack of Tri Previfem. I started using this medicine only for birth control, and it has caused many side effects. The first few weeks I had severe headaches and since I started taking it, I have noticed weight gain, also my breasts have definitely become bigger and are always very sore. The first month of taking it my period was much heavier than usual and lasted longer. I have noticed I have been more depressed as well. However; for the purpose of birth control I haven't gotten pregnant. But I think I will be switching to a different one soon.

September 6, 2014 11:19 PM

Review by Mkaykaykay (taken for less than 1 month):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I'm almost onto my 3rd week of this medication & so far I'm completely almost satisfied with it. It does leave tonnes of breast soreness I NEVER had before. But it did relieve my cramps and heavy bleeding, which is the reason I started taking it. No weight gain or breast growth though!

September 3, 2014 6:54 PM

Review by Aslongasitworks (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: 38 years old. Using for 5 years. Virtually no acne. No weight gain. No pregnancies. Can't imagine using another pill. Perfect for me.

September 2, 2014 11:08 AM

Review by Nessersary:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: One big complaint I had about it is that I gained a whopping 20 pounds since I went on it. I exercise everyday and I eat healthy, but my appetite sort of increased slightly.

August 29, 2014 9:03 PM

Review by Jennenay (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: I've always been lucky to have naturally flawless skin, but then the beginning of this year I got the most intense cystic acne on both of my cheek bones. It looked like I had an allergic reaction to blush. I tried everything, Proactive, dermatologists visits, prescribed medication, expensive products, facials. My skin other than my acne zones was soft and smooth but nothing was treating the actual problem on my cheeks. I decided to change my birth control. I was on Levora for a few years before switching to Tri-Nessa a few months ago. TriNessa took a couple months to fix the acne but I couldn't be happier! I'm just waiting for my skin to renew to get rid of the red. My confidence is back! Be patient it's worth it!

August 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I have been taking it to prevent pregnancy since I had my baby and so far it's been really good...hardly any side effects at all...only thing I don't like is I'm a little more moody and get headaches sometimes but for having a period every other month now I'm right on time every month..I recommend it

August 26, 2014 4:37 AM

Review by LynnJe:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started taking this BC last year 11/2014 when I got the Mirena taken out due to bad acne. A few weeks after starting Tri-Previfem I started having hypoglycemic episodes after I run (~4miles ). Which continued after every run so I started taking supplements before and during my run to keep my blood sugar stable. Which helps partly and very annoying. But the last 2 months I had 2 hypoglycemic episodes in the morning without any physical activity. It's now 8/2014 and I've decided to stop taking them. Cons: hypoglycemia, stomach bloat during period Pros: no acne, regulated periods (precise day and round about time of day), minimal/no cramps.

August 25, 2014 11:09 PM

Review by olivia1234323:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,

August 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by sunlika:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: Recently got back on birth control after many years of not being on it. This pill is okay. It's a contraceptive and does its job, but it wasn't the pill for me. Easy to take by mouth, no big deal. But, the side effects for me were: I would headaches after taking the pill and sometimes randomly during the day. Also, the third week i started the new color, my emotions were off the wall. I wasn't eating properly and was over thinking EVERYTHING. I asked to switch & now will be trying the generic version. Just because this pill wasn't for me, doesn't mean it is for someone else.

August 20, 2014 2:05 PM

Review by kellymf (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for : The only reason I am prescribed them is to stop my period for several months (I skip the inactive pills and start a new pack). The first month was okay but into week 3 of my second month I started having heavy "spotting", enough to need a tampon. Two weeks later I called my Dr to inform them that I had been bleeding for two weeks straight and ask what was going on. They insist that my body is just getting used to the hormones and to keep taking them. It has now been over a month, I'm almost done with my third pack and the bleeding/spotting every day is STILL an issue. On the rare moments when it's light enough for sex, forget about it. I have no desire and dry as the desert. I'm also extremely tired and have had random breakouts.

August 19, 2014 10:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started Sprintec last November for my heavy periods, and for that it's working great. It has reduced my periods from 10 days to 5 days and after the first few months, they are now incredibly predictable. I know exactly when they'll start and end and what flow intensity to expect each day. They have also considerably lightened my periods. The only side effect I have noticed is weight gain. It may not have helped that I started the pill around the holidays, as I have found myself with a bigger appetite since starting Sprintec. I gained about 10lbs by about January (but I haven't gained since then due to changes in diet) and went up about 1.5-2 cup sizes (SO annoying since I'm an athlete). My butt and thighs also got noticeably bigger.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 15, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by zzlacey (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This pill truly gets 10 stars! I am just about to finish up my first month and I am so happy I started taking these pills. I was prescribed Sprintec but was given the equivalent Mononessa. Mononessa has cleared up my moderate to severe acne in just one month! It is truly a miracle as I have tried literally EVERYTHING to get rid of acne. It is so amazing to wake up with clear skin....also, my pubic hair has stopped growing in many places and does not grow very fast..also, no razorburn! uhhh...YAY! I also feel like I am not retaining as much water weight. I have not gotten sick on this pill. The only side effects I have had are being extremely tired, high sex drive, vaginal dryness, and a slight decrease in appetite. You should certainly try this pill.

August 15, 2014 8:26 AM

Review by Lynn129:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: The pill started great until everytime I take it I want to vomit all the time. Practically, had the experience of a pregnant woman. I gained weight, was expected and had terrible headaches don't go away for hours. Impossible to sleep without wanting to vomit. I've been having emotional problems feeling depressed and crying without reason.

August 14, 2014 3:42 AM

Review by Not Worth The Pain:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I've only been on for a month and a half, but my body has DRASTICALLY changed. The abdominal pain is unbearable, I've missed work multiple times because I'm unable to leave the bathroom. The bloating has been out of control, and besides my normal acid reflux disease, the extra heartburn has me constantly sick - no matter what I eat. The first 1.5 weeks of the pill pack are the worst, I cant eat or sleep, and the migraines are awful. Moody, lack of desire to do anything, which is NOT like me. The only benefit is a bit of a weaker period, but the side-effects are unbearable.

August 11, 2014 10:44 PM

Review by Hakuna Moscato (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Ovarian Cysts: Took this pill at first just because I had cysts that I had to remove surgically. I'm talkin like 12cm cysts. This pill not only helps with my cysts, but I have no mood swings, my periods are controlled, my skin has never been better, and my sex life is great. No cramping anymore at all! Perfect for me!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 4:42 PM

Review by KimberlyV:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: I started taking this medication to help control bleeding. It worked great for stopping that but I traded in the bleeding for serve cramping. I cramp off and on through out the day. The cramps feel like I am going through a really bad period. The pain will stop me in my tracks and I have to hold myself or bend over to help to easy the pain.

August 11, 2014 3:04 PM

Review by Syd123:

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: This birth control was very effective, the side effects weren't too bad. The side effects I had were breast being sore, increase in appetite, and very bad mood swings. I would never get mad at the things I've gotten mad at while on this pill. Otherwise, periods were good and 3 days long, no nausea after the first day of taking it

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate