User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Acne 103 reviews 513 medications

5.9
Gonadotropin Inhibition 0 reviews 137 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate reviews 1281 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Ovarian Cysts: "LOVE this BCP. It's the *only* one I've tried that didn't make my hair fall out, didn't make me feel bloated, didn't make me swell, and didn't ruin my skin. My libido isn't dampened half as much as it was on other BCPs (it was non-existent on other BCPs). It helps immensely with PCOS symptoms. At first it made me a little tired, but by the middle of week 2 I was fine. :) Love it. My insurance charged me $ for this drug, but that's against the ACA- there's no generic for this drug, and it was RX'd as medically necessary so it should have been covered at $0 copay. The issue is currently being investigated."

Smithie (taken for less than 1 month) July 27, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Best birth control!!! I have been on it for about a year and a half if not longer have no complaints I got on this because the depo shot was defiantly not working for me. Definitely glad I switched over - no random mood swings, cleared all acne within a month, no weight gain, over all it the best birth control I've been on"

Jaisjjqhe (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 25, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Started this a few months ago and the first month I had a 4 week long period which was not fun, however I've had no weight gain whatsoever, increased sex drive, and less acne! I really like this birth control and now my periods are completely regular after that terrible first month."

zoe0828 July 25, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "I got it prescribed when I was 16 for my very hormonal acne (effective birth control was a nice bonus too though.) after about 2.5 months my blotchy mess had become crystal-clear-as-ice skin. I was for 4 years, mostly very clear. Then I thought the problem was probably "fixed" and I went off it when I was 20. I Thought it was giving me headaches too. Quitting was was a nightmare. I had a 17 day period, Then It evened out to every 2 weeks. I started to break out like a volcanic range. I gained weight. I let this go on for 3 years thinking it would stop. I finally decided I'd get back on it a month ago. My skin is so bad on the sides I wear 60s headscarves to hide it, but it's clearing up in other ways. So far no headaches. Just nausea."

Elaine23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: " I'm 19 years old and started taking this birth control after my first one worked perfectly for a few months, until I began to get my period every 8 days. I've been on this pill for about two weeks and I already hate it. I'm constantly moody, depressed and over emotional. It's effecting my relationship between my family, friends and boyfriend. Doesn't help with acne, I've never had acne till I began taking this. Also have severe pain everyday in my lower stomach area."

Anonymous July 25, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I am 20 years old and I had been on Tri Sprintec for about 5-6 months and never really thought about it giving me major side effects. I had previously been on Levora for 5 years with the purpose of getting rid of major cramps. After 5 years my cramps began to come back so I switched to this one without any precaution. Long story short I ended up in the suicide ward because I was having major thoughts about suicide (which I NEVER have even thought of) along with major depression and my anxiety level increased drastically.. So be careful and change your pills if you need to."

kittycatarina July 24, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I went on these pills for preventing pregnancy. My doctor told me to not have unprotected sex the first week. I had unprotected sex twice in the beginning of the second week and I got paranoid when I researched the brand and found out they were generic-pregnancy rate is higher. These are combination pills-means that I did not have to take it at the exact time every day. The pills gave me crazy side effects as soon as I started them. Nausea happened everyday for the first 2 weeks to the point where I would throw up or go to the bathroom. I started eating a lot more and gained 3 pounds in the first week. Did not experience emotional changes. Got my period at the end of the last row and lasted 7 days. Not bad brand if you don't have insurance."

brittany1997 July 24, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been on the pill for over two weeks this is my first time on birth control and I'm taking it mainly to help regulate my periods so I get one every month and also to help with cramping and heavy flow. So far all I've gotten is cramps, dizziness, light headedness, acne, spotting that started off light and now is coming off a lot heavier, weight gain, huge appetite, problems sleeping, and is majorly affecting my mental health."

Roni98 July 22, 2015

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "Please stay away from this birth control!!! It is absolutely horrible! It caused me severe depression, anxiety, bloating, and mood swings. I was previously on Yasmin with NO problems, my doctor just isn't prescribing it anymore because of the rare side effects. I gave Sprintec a try for 2 weeks, and just threw it in the trash, after 24 hours of not taking it I finally am starting to feel back to my calm, rational self again. Can't believe this is on the market!"

ckp (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I was on Tri-Sprintec and its predecessor for about 4.5 years. The first 3.5-4 years were great! My skin was perfect except for an occasional blemish here or there. But then it started to go down hill fast. I was hungry ALL the time, and even if I ate my normal meals (not giving into my hunger) I still managed to gain a good 10-15lbs that I could NOT lose. Also towards the end of my usage I became violently angry. Like I would be angry allllll the time and that's just not me! I'm normally happy and pleasant. Also my skin started to get really bad as it was prior to being on BC. Overall it wasn't that great."

Heatherhcw (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 19, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I took this for 3 yrs and 6 months everything has been great for me, no gain weigth, no loss of appettite, basically the same on weight, but the only thing that changed was my sex drive, I dont feel the same its low sex drive, very dry down there. but other than that it worked good for me, have to change because of recent high blood preassure."

elimm (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 18, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "I'm 18 & have been using Tri Sprintec for the past 4 months mainly to try to get rid of my mild acne. In the first couple weeks, I was hopeful because I saw my face start to clear up & wasn't experiencing any side effects. However, as I kept taking it my acne started to flare up again, along with cramps & bloating pretty much all the time, mood swings, and slight weight gain (5 pounds). Since month 2, I started getting cystic acne (which I've never had before) on both my cheeks and especially in my chin area and along my jaw line, but my forehead stays almost completely clear. I thought my hormones just needed to get used to the pill but my skin has continued to get worse. I stopped taking Tri Sprintec & already seen improvement in 3 days."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "The great thing about the pill is that my breast went up a full cup size which is wonderful. The bad part is that I got severe migraines about 2.5 weeks into the pack and I have never gotten one before. My cramps were so bad I felt like my insides were going to fall out and I never had serious problems like this. Lately I have been more emotional than usual, I don't act like myself at all I'm always angry, sad, or depressed. My sex life with my bf is completely trash now so guess that makes my increased cup size a waste. No positive or negative changes in Acne. Since I'm only just finishing the first pack I'm going to try and keep going and see if the side-effects subside."

JasmineS (taken for less than 1 month) July 17, 2015

Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This pill is amazing. I was prescribed it for PCOS and as a birth control. After having a terrible experience with the nuva ring, I was nervous to try any other form of birth control. While the first 3 months were rough in terms of moodiness and mild acne, it's all seemed to have leveled out and I couldn't be happier. No decrease in libido (probably has increased, actually), no weight gain (I've actually lost 15 lbs since I started, but I've been dieting too), increased breast size ~1/2 cup), regular periods with significantly decreased flow and decreased cramping. Hardly any acne ever now and my pms seems ton better. Everyone is different, but this pill seems like magic to me!"

Jennie P. (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 16, 2015

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "From the reviews, I think this pill gave me a more rough experience than others. The day after I switched pills I had a dull headache and slight nausea. It faded after a few hours and I didn't think about it again. Later that night, I experienced the nausea again and it quickly progressed to violent vomiting. Every time I took the pill, regardless of the fact that I'd taken it on a full stomach, I would get a debilitating headache and nausea. It felt like I had the flu. Today was the first day I haven't taken it (4 days in) and I feel great and was able to carry on my day as usual. I changed to this BC because my insurance covered it, but I'd rather pay for my old stuff that doesn't make me sick."

Dhayw (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I started taking this pill when I was 16, I am now 20. The pill started out fine and I loved it for the past 3 years but this last year is different. Starting the pill it cleared my acne up very well. I only gained maybe 10lbs at most, but that's as well as growing up and fitting into my body. The pill has worked great for birthcontrol. It has made me have a regular, light 3-4 day period every month. Rarely any cramps too. But this past year I have been noticing a few different side effects. My cramping is getting worse with each period, I started spotting more monthly and during my period I get severe migranes. Stopping the pill for a month to see if my headaches get better.."

LysMil (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 16, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "I've been taking Tri-Sprintec for a couple of years now, and can say that it has really helped with my acne. I used to have it really bad, but now it's mostly cleared up (I just seem to get a few breakouts here and there). Also, my period is on a perfect 28 day schedule, so that is a plus."

Rileyann18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2015

Mononessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have not had any issues with this medication. No weird side effects, or anything like that. Also, my period is lighter, and shorter. I am glad I started taking Mononessa."

Sarashanay July 15, 2015

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I started taking the pill about 4 years ago, the first year it was not the best, my period was irregular but after that no problems! i didn't gain weight, no mood problems or pain during my period. it has work for me! but every body is different!"

Vv17 July 15, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I took Ortho Tricyclen for just over 5 years. Initially I noticed a lot of mood instability and I was behaving in ways that were very unusual for me. However this subsided within the first six months. Otherwise I had a relatively good experience, and my periods became so light that they almost stopped. However I was not doing well remembering to take the pills and recently switched to Mirena. Tricyclen is a great option if you are able to remember the pills on time!"

soonin July 12, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "I've used tri-sprintec for about a year. I started it to have lighter periods & to help get rid of acne. It's worked really well for me & my periods last about 4 days & are very light & I've had one or two breakouts since. So why not a higher score? Well like all women, my period was going to coincide with a beach vacation & I was not ok with that. I decided to skip a period & instead of using my week 4 pills, I skipped right from week 3 to week 1 on a new pack... Worst. Idea. Ever. I still got my period & it's lasted for a month, not to mention I have a major acne breakout & no not just one or two. I'm hoping things will go back to normal soon & I warn everyone if this pill is working well for you, DON'T SKIP A PERIOD INTENTIONALLY."

Anonymous2107 July 10, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Acne: "The main reason I started using this medicine was because of my acne. I am on my 3rd month of this medicine and nothing. I was so hopeful that this would clear my skin up or that I would see some type of improvement by now. There is a little difference...my acne is worse at times than it was before!!! So far I am very unsatisfied with this medicine. Birth Control is my last option for treating my acne. I went to the dermatologist for years and NOTHING. This was my last hope, and I seemingly no longer have any hope for clearing my skin. The only side effect I have gotten while being on this Birth Control is that my boobs grew like 2 sizes which I personally hate. I liked having small boobs. Im giving it 3 more months then Im switching,"

amandasw94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "I have only been in this birth control for almost a month. Immediately after the first few pills my breasts began to get very tender and they have definitely grown a bit. I'm having terrible stomach pains, bloating, nausea, I'm constantly sad. My acne got worse, but I haven't gained any weight. I've been spotting for about 2 days now, but I'm not supposed to starty period until next Friday. Hopefully all is well, and it's just my body getting used to the hormones. However, if these symptoms do not clear up within the next month, I'm going to try to switch or just stay off of the pill. I'm going insane due to the fact that I feel like I'm pregnant, but I'm hoping it's just the birth control side effects."

Sabrinaxstarr July 10, 2015

Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "This drug was absolutely horrible. It made me not be able to breathe and I had to be rushed to the ER. All the doctors told me they didn't think it was the pill but I went off of it and all the breathing troubles stopped. I do not recommend this pill because it made my sister sick as well."

Anonymous July 9, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate) for Birth Control: "i tried it for two months and since day 1 I suffered from major mood swings and low energy. I had frequent headaches and just felt depressed. I never felt like myself. But I just thought I had to put up with it so my body can get use to it but I couldn't handle it by month 2. Just pay attention to how you feel. None the less I switched to another birth control pill. And feel great."

Meli820 July 8, 2015