User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, TriNessa Lo

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 445 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Review by eccles227 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been in Trinessa for about 3 months now. I had SEVERE inflammatory and prior to getting on Trinessa. I've always had moderate acne but after my small pox vaccination (required by the military to deploy to the middle East) My doctor prescribed this pill solely for my acne. It took about a month and a half of using it to really notice a difference but man when it kicked in it kicked in. I get maybe 2-4 pimples a week now vs 20 new ones. And the ones I do get are not nearly as big or as inflamed. Even when I'm in my period I get far less than I used to. This was a miracle for me!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 17, 2014 6:42 PM
Review by saymm: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 12, 2014 2:57 PM
Review by Anonymous :-): User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have only been on this pill for one cycle, but it seems as if my acne is worse. I was put on Trinessa solely for my acne and now I'm considering stopping. I have read reviews and the vast majority of those reviews mention a huge flare-up in their acne, just as I have, which makes me think that this isn't unusual. I really want to stick with it, but I'm not sure my self-confidence can handle it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 23, 2014 10:18 AM
Review by Fullofsmiles: User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been on this birth control for six months and I love it. I had acne all over my back and very few on my face. Within the first month my face cleared up and some on my back. Im now going on my seventh month and my whole back is clear. Ladies with acne definitely need to try this and Give it time to work

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 2:12 AM
Review by Acne at 31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): Since having my last child at age 27, my acne has been out of control. Serious cystic breakouts (forehead, chin, temples). When they just about heal up, BOOM, here comes the new ones. I have tried it all, literally. I did lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar, herbs, masks, lotions, pH balancing washes etc. NOTHING worked. I was so sick of it. At 30 I got Tri-Sprintec. The results were amazing. 1st month, I noticed the breakouts weren't as severe (but still there). 2nd month, I noticed the inflammation was better, still a few break out spots. 3rd month, I noticed I barely broke out (just on my temple area and one spot on my chin). 4th Month-NO MORE BREAKOUTS!

March 3, 2014 4:58 PM
Review by beemed: User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I would just like to say if you're looking for a solution for you're acne PLEASE try this. I have been struggling with acne for a few years, I have tried everything from over the counter to prescribed medicine and NOTHING worked. Finally I decided to get on the pill because I had very deep painful cystic acne along my jawline and chin that wouldn't go away. I have been on Sprintec for 2 months now and my skin is 100% clear. Only time I get a pimple is around my period but it is so much more manageable. Trust me this pill is my magic pill.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 24, 2014 1:15 AM
Review by Krissy V (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have just completed one pack of the Tri-Sprintec. I was prescribed Ortho but was given Tri-Sprintec due to insurance. I am 30 years old and have not had any major acne in years. The last major outbreak I have had was when I was 24. I would still get the occasion 1-2 acne but it would only occur every several months. This month has been horrible on Tri-Sprintec. I've had at least 20+ acne spots on my face. I've tried to used multiple products to clear it up to no avail. It is all hormonal cystic acne that is mainly concentrated around my mouth area/chin and they all leave scarring. I'm honestly not sure if I can last 3 months on it to see if it will get better for me. I do not normally break out so this terrifies me!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 10, 2014 1:39 AM
Review by WhitLeah: User Rating:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've only been on it for a week and my acne is already starting to clear up.

January 30, 2014 3:23 PM
Review by Baka: User Rating:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have not changed anything about my daily routine, but after a month my acne is gone, and I have magically lost 10 lbs

January 28, 2014 2:24 PM
Review by nadiaaaa: User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I love this birth control. I've been on the pill for about 6 months and I still have NO Side effects, well I do eat alot. I'm now 159 lbs but that's okay. I got on this pill for birth control but mainly for acne, and it works so great. It gets worse before it gets better, I recommend this pill for everybody. Try it.

December 13, 2013 12:26 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I'm 22yrs old and have been dealing with acne since about 13yrs old. I've been on Tri-Sprintec for almost two years now and what a difference. It has to be the best birth control I've ever been on. No gaining weight, mood changes, and my face stays clear even when it is that time of the month. Life changing.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 7, 2013 8:55 AM
Review by Skylar009: User Rating:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): So I went on this pill for my acne and irregular bleeding. At first, it made my skin break out somewhat more and I started to lose hope. I've had a rough time on the pill because I forget to take it daily but it's getting better. But after being on it for two months, my skin is totally clear. I have one zit and it's not big at all. I have so much more confidence now and I'm so happy that I stayed on it. If you are hunting about going on the pill for acne I highly recommend this brand. You will have side effects at first but trust me, it's definitely all worth it.

November 14, 2013 9:23 AM
Review by JCFen: User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I am almost through with my second month pills and I have to say that my acne has gotten worse. I normally have fairly clear skin with occasional small breakouts, but since the birth control my acne has gotten much more common and more large and painful as well. I'm hoping that my body is still getting use to the hormones and will soon get back to normal. Also, my appetite has become a constant issue. My weight has stayed the same so far, but I am eating much more than I used to. Hoping that this is all just adjustments that will get better with time!

November 5, 2013 8:44 PM
Review by Dancelove (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been on this pill for a full month today. First couple of weeks were very rough. Neausua was a bad problem and I felt very sick for a few weeks. Over the past month ive experienced bad mood swings and an increased appetite and I couldn't help but eat and snack. I gained about 3 or 4 pounds this month. Not very happy about that! I hope that starts to go away, but my acne has gone about 70 percent away, not fully there. But my doctor said it might take a few months. Redness is gone, but still pimples are there.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 4, 2013 4:55 PM
Review by Elle MJ (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been taking Tri-Sprintec for two months now. I have had persistent mild acne (plus scarring :/) since middle school. (I'm in my twenties now). I must say -- this pill has improved my skin. It's not perfect, but I've noticed that my normally breakout-prone skin has cleared up a bit, so that's nice to see. And now the negative: my appetite has increased *immensely*. I feel like I'm starving all the time. It's like constant PMS. I'm hoping this will go away as my body acclimates to the pill... I've consequently gained about 10 pounds... BUT -- my boobs have gotten bigger as a result, and my bum as well, so perhaps it's not all bad...

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
October 28, 2013 10:38 PM
Review by Happy Bunny: User Rating:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results.

October 3, 2013 10:42 AM
Review by MilitaryMotherOf3 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've never had acne until I was 27, I thought it was from giving birth but even 6 months later I was still breaking out. I started Trinessa and took it for 4 years and never had a pimple unless I stopped taking it. I'm now on a birth control implant and was taking Trinessa at the same because I was breaking out again. However I had to stop taking the Trinessa due to mood swings on two birth controls. I am going to have to take out my implant and get back on Trinessa, I get deep painful pimples that last weeks.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 21, 2013 2:31 PM
Review by HoustonGirl (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I am 30 years old and I have never taken birth control pills before. I had skin that was so dry that every morning the skin on my cheeks flaked off. It almost looked like a bad sunburn that resulted in peeling skin. My right cheek was so red and inflamed but after taking the first pill, I noticed a difference the very next day. I have taken 7 pills and so far so good. My cheeks are soft and finally look like regular skin. The redness on my right cheek is fading and it doesn't hurt to apply makeup anymore. I am so excited to see how much better my skin gets. No side effects yet. I hope I don't get any when I get to the other colored pills.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 9, 2013 4:08 PM
Review by nadiaaa: User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I'm 15 and I've been on Trinessa for about a month. I have NO side effects. I'm on the pill for acne and I'll tell you it does get worse then better. I had the worst breakouts when I first started it and I wanted too get off the pill but I was going be patient. Now my skin is improving. I recommended this for you. Try it.

August 27, 2013 2:17 PM
Review by Liz999: User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): After years of treatments for acne and my only option before mass treatment (Accutane), I tried TriNessa... it was the best thing that ever happened to me. Even if it took three months to notice improvement and first became worse than better, was worth it, 100%. It took almost 6 months to be almost clear. Be patient. Is worth it.

July 24, 2013 12:32 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I am 18 years old and my dermatologist prescribed Trinessa for acne, I have taken it for 3 months. I have experienced pretty much every side effect on the list. I feel nauseous for every day on the first week of the pack and on most other days too! I have only gained a few pounds because of the extreme increase in appetite, but I've lost the weight since. My breasts have grown a whole cup size even though I was already a D. And my breasts are always sore to the touch. I have occasional mood swings that make me very sad at times. On the bright side, my acne has gotten significantly better and my hair is shiny and grows really fast! Also my insurance completely covers it, it is literally $0! That's a plus as well!

July 21, 2013 1:35 AM
Review by Nefera: User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been on the pill for 2 1/2 weeks and I haven't had any bad experiences like I had with the Levora. Trinessa cleared up my skin a lot, my skin is glowing with radiance and nature beauty. I'm grateful to be on Trinessa.

July 11, 2013 8:08 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): For the purpose of acne, this medicine helped me a lot! But within two months of starting it I gained 10 pounds. I exercise 4-5 times a week and eat well and hadn't made any changes that would cause weight gain. Nothing I did would get rid of the weight gained, especially around my hips and thighs. It took me a year to realize that this was the problem. I'm 17 now and did swimming in high school and usually lose at least 5- 10 pounds each season, but this year I stayed at a constant 140. Because of this I'm switching. I also got extreme nausea, if I didn't eat enough food before taking it, or if I took it more than 30 minutes after eating, I would get intense nausea, dry heave twice, and lose my appetite.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 10, 2013 2:37 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): Love it. Works great for acne, and menstrual cramps. No weight gain and I grew a cup size.

June 30, 2013 7:27 PM
Review by BMKB (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I am 24 and I have been taking Trinessa for almost a month. I have nice skin as it is but this birth control has helped with the normal small breakouts that we all get. I have noticed my skin "glows" more now. On the down side, I felt nauseous every day for the first week. I couldn't eat because I felt so sick. I have cramps and feel bloated. I haven't gained any weight that I have noticed. I have had lower back pain and more cravings for food. BUT, my sex drive is through the roof which I can't complain about. Overall, I hope the sickness goes away. If I didn't know I was on the pill, I'd think I was pregnant.

June 12, 2013 4:53 PM