User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Review Summary

7.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 450 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This stuff doesn't work for acne . It hasn't helped my skin at all and that was one of the reasons why I got birth control"

Anonymous August 27, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I went on my first pack this month and am taking my third week right now and just experienced some major break through bleeding ( which I guess is normal so well see how it keeps going) but as far as my acne I used to have insane cysts on my cheeks and chin. Within one week, I had no cysts but just minor small pimples which I'm totally fine with. So I'm on my third week and I don't get the painful cysts anymore. I just had one or two small ones on my chin but that's it! would recommend for acne but the break through bleeding scared me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "It's horrible.... my face broke out bad...got scars for life"

Anonymous August 23, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is an initial review seeing as though I haven't even gotten through the first pack yet. My doctor prescribed tri sprintec for my skin & to avoid weight gain. I take the pill everyday at 5:30 pm. An odd daily pattern has developed. In the morning I feel normal. Then by the early afternoon, I'll get a killer headache a couple hours before its time to take the pill! Once I take it, the headache subsides but I get nausea instantly (sometimes vomit) & lose my appetite for the night. Then I get fatigued fast and have been sleeping very early. By the next morning I feel back to normal. The headaches and nausea suck! I also noticed really painful under the skin pimples. Waiting for skin to clear. Boobs are getting bigger that's a plus"

TS-Starter (taken for less than 1 month) August 22, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "My dermatologist put me on this to regulate my acne and I am currently on my third cycle using Trinessa. I had been on birth control for the same reason almost 2 years ago but I had a 15 lb weight gain in under 4 months which is crazy since I'm a runner. She told me these pills would not make me gain weight yet I've gone up around 7 lbs and noticed that my boobs have grown a lot. The only other side effect I have noticed is dizziness and headaches. But as for its effectiveness: my period is very regular and light and my face has completely cleared, I still get a few breakouts right before my period but it's usually not bad at all."

Runnerchick (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 22, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Im writing this because reading this same page is what ultimately convinced me to give birth control a try for my stubborn, cystic, HORMONAL acne. If you've tried everything in the book for acne like I have, (antibiotics, prescribed antibiotics, every OTC cream and wash on the market, DIY...) and it's been as a relentlessly tiring experience- please try BCPs. After talking w my dr, she said that after a week I should see a difference bc thats when your body adjusts. After a week seeing not only no difference but seemingly worse cystic acne all around my chin (my number #1 problem area) I ended up back on here and countless other websites to refer to other people's experiences. And thank god I did- GIVE IT TIME!!!! That's the key to this."

Bryannnaa August 20, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This bc helped with acne but I also used epiduo with it. The first month was great no nausea or headaches(I'm prone to headaches). My acne was mild and this pill helped clear it up a lot, along with epiduo. The 2nd month was where all the problems started. Within 2 days of the first week I started getting headaches along with nausea and vomiting. It was awful I threw up every night while taking this. I had a headache for 4 days straight as well. I'm not even to my second week of the second month of taking this and I can't do it anymore it's not worth it for me. My hormones are crazy, I'm not use to being so emotional and crying all the time. I wanted this pill to help clear up my mild acne, but I don't care anymore, this isn't worth it."

eve1234566 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2015

"I have struggled all of my adult life (the last ten years) with acne. Whiteheads, and cystic pimples primarily, with at least fifteen or more pimples on my face at any given time. I have tried everything within my power to get rid of it, and this is the first medication that has made any significant improvement. It took six months before my face really started to clear up, and in the first four months my acne got worse while my body adjusted to the influx of hormones. However, I have never been happier with my skin. I've tried numerous medications from dermatologists, been on three other types of birth control, I even went vegan for a few months all to no avail. I am thrilled with my results on Sprintec!"

Allie S. (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2015

"I've been taking tri-sprintec for 8 months because I had basically cystic acne. I was on different birth control to regulate my period then I switched to tri-sprintec & about to months later my acne was almost gone. The 5th month I had no acne. Now I have no acne, the only time I get acne is a week before I start my period & its only 2 or 3."

Jessica06 July 29, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I got it prescribed when I was 16 for my very hormonal acne (effective birth control was a nice bonus too though.) after about 2.5 months my blotchy mess had become crystal-clear-as-ice skin. I was for 4 years, mostly very clear. Then I thought the problem was probably "fixed" and I went off it when I was 20. I Thought it was giving me headaches too. Quitting was was a nightmare. I had a 17 day period, Then It evened out to every 2 weeks. I started to break out like a volcanic range. I gained weight. I let this go on for 3 years thinking it would stop. I finally decided I'd get back on it a month ago. My skin is so bad on the sides I wear 60s headscarves to hide it, but it's clearing up in other ways. So far no headaches. Just nausea."

Elaine23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 18 & have been using Tri Sprintec for the past 4 months mainly to try to get rid of my mild acne. In the first couple weeks, I was hopeful because I saw my face start to clear up & wasn't experiencing any side effects. However, as I kept taking it my acne started to flare up again, along with cramps & bloating pretty much all the time, mood swings, and slight weight gain (5 pounds). Since month 2, I started getting cystic acne (which I've never had before) on both my cheeks and especially in my chin area and along my jaw line, but my forehead stays almost completely clear. I thought my hormones just needed to get used to the pill but my skin has continued to get worse. I stopped taking Tri Sprintec & already seen improvement in 3 days."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been taking Tri-Sprintec for a couple of years now, and can say that it has really helped with my acne. I used to have it really bad, but now it's mostly cleared up (I just seem to get a few breakouts here and there). Also, my period is on a perfect 28 day schedule, so that is a plus."

Rileyann18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've used tri-sprintec for about a year. I started it to have lighter periods & to help get rid of acne. It's worked really well for me & my periods last about 4 days & are very light & I've had one or two breakouts since. So why not a higher score? Well like all women, my period was going to coincide with a beach vacation & I was not ok with that. I decided to skip a period & instead of using my week 4 pills, I skipped right from week 3 to week 1 on a new pack... Worst. Idea. Ever. I still got my period & it's lasted for a month, not to mention I have a major acne breakout & no not just one or two. I'm hoping things will go back to normal soon & I warn everyone if this pill is working well for you, DON'T SKIP A PERIOD INTENTIONALLY."

Anonymous2107 July 10, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "The main reason I started using this medicine was because of my acne. I am on my 3rd month of this medicine and nothing. I was so hopeful that this would clear my skin up or that I would see some type of improvement by now. There is a little difference...my acne is worse at times than it was before!!! So far I am very unsatisfied with this medicine. Birth Control is my last option for treating my acne. I went to the dermatologist for years and NOTHING. This was my last hope, and I seemingly no longer have any hope for clearing my skin. The only side effect I have gotten while being on this Birth Control is that my boobs grew like 2 sizes which I personally hate. I liked having small boobs. Im giving it 3 more months then Im switching,"

amandasw94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Made my acne 10 times worse !!!! But I've only been on it for 2 weeks and 2days. I saw that other people's acne got better within 3-4 months so I'll be patient. I take my pill at 10:15 every night. No nausea or throwing up. I think to Better to take your pill at night because I usually get sick from simply taking vitamins in the morning. No bleeding or spotting. No cramps. Slightly cranky but nothing my bf can't handle. Lol. & my breast haven't gotten larger but I have noticed the feel more heavy or full. No breast tenderness though."

Bobo bhanell July 6, 2015

"I've had horrific acne since I was about 14. I constantly piled on make-up and make-up and probably made it worse. When I hit 18 it got really bad, and my freshman year of college my life revolved around finding the right foundation. I finally gave in and went on birth control. I noticed it cleared up a little here and there but never really completely. I stayed on it for the other benefits and after six or seven months I looked in the mirror and noticed my acne had all but vanished. I had not changed my diet, if anything it had gotten worse. I swear it's this pill. I know waiting sucks, but rather 7 months than a few more years. Just start now. What's to loose?"

Charlie Q July 2, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Slow and steady definitely wins this race. I was skeptical going on birth control to fix my ongoing acne battle especially since I am not sexually active. I have been on it for 3 months now and I am so grateful I did this!! My acne has cleared up 80% and I expect it to be closer to 95% for the next pack. It was hard to be patient those 3 months of wondering if it would work, but it did and I'm soo happy about it. At first, I noticed some swelling and tenderness in the chest, but that subsided after about 2-3 weeks, once my body got a bit more used to it. I had a few pounds of weight gain but that has since come off too- and may have been just water weight."

Success3month July 1, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 19 years old. I've been struggling with cystic acne for about a year and a half now; my problem area being my cheeks . I've been on tri-sprintec for a little over a month.. Can't say I've seen any drastic changes but I feel like it's slowly taking effect (or I just might be desperate for results). I know they say it's 2-3 months for results so I'm remaining hopeful. The only downside I've noticed while taking this pill is that It might've made me break out under and around my jawline which was new for me. Also, I snack way too often now which might be making my breakouts a little excessive when that time of the month comes around."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on TriNessa for 3 months now. This birth control has taken away my menstrual cramps which is a plus but it has made my acne the worst it's even been in my life and I've never had such low self esteem. Personally would not recommend it, but it works differently for everyone."

morg2 May 24, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am about to start my 4th month of TriNessa and to be honest my skin is nowhere near what I thought it would be. I can definitely say my skin has gotten a lot better. I suffered from very bad consistent cystic acne on my cheeks. Since taking this, it has subsided. However, I don't feel like I necessarily have less acne. I still get a couple cystic pimples and break out pretty badly the week before my period and during. I also have bad scars which I have been treating with peels. Although I have seen a huge improvement in my skin, I still do not feel comfortable without makeup. I was hoping by the end of 3 months I would have almost completely clear skin. I have had acne since about 12/13 and I am now 22. Any suggestions? Help please!!!"

Annie Beth May 22, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This stuff is like a wonder pill! My acne is clearing up, my boobs look fuller, didn't change my sex drive, my moods are the same and it fully protects me from having a baby. I couldn't be happier with this because I have tried lots of brands and wasn't on birthcontrol for about four years because I didn't want to go through the same process of hating the form of birth control I was using but my Dr knew exactly what to give me. Be honest with your Dr and always do your research:)"

Alikay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been using Ortho Tri Cyclen for about six months, and there has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of acne, particularly on my forehead and cheeks. There are still small, mostly unnoticeable bumps around my mouth and chin, but these are gradually decreasing as well (just taking a little longer). The one negative thing that I noticed was that previously, my acne would heal quickly without leaving a scar. Now it heals at the same rate but does leave red/pink scarring on my cheeks. I believe it will go away because it has been fading, but it will likely take a while. As far as my cycle is concerned, my periods have been very regular (something that is unusual for me) and light. I have not had any issues with mood swings."

Anon09 May 4, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I really like Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I experienced minimal side effects and it has helped keep my skin clear! After the first pack I had hardly any acne. In terms of my sex drive it has stayed the same. I've always had a really high sex drive so I'm glad it didn't affect it! I really like this birth control pill and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from mild/moderate acne."

Jazz2121 April 29, 2015

"I've just started my 4th month on Sprintec, taking it for acne since I'm not currently sexually active. During the first month, I felt lots of fatigue and brain fogginess that made it hard to concentrate. During the second month, I had the same symptoms, but they decreased as the month went on. However, I gained breast tenderness. During the second month, the brain fogginess returned at the beginning and now I have decreased libido as well. Acne has decreased a small amount, but I still have multiple pimples popping up all throughout the month. Periods are a tiny bit lighter but still last the same time (about a week). Sprintec has been ok, but I will be trying something else once this pack is complete."

Anonymous April 27, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started back in October after suffering about 6months with acne that just kept on getting worse.I had pus filled pimples and small cysts. I didn't see major results until about 2 months in and even then I was still getting one or two cysts. On my third month I wasn't getting cysts and would only get small pimples. I suggest if you start the pill and don't see results immediately to just stick with it for at least 3 months. After my pimples went away I got red hyperpigmentation (which alot of people have been blaming on the pill; its not its from the old pimples) so now I put a little bit of lemon on those parts to lighten them & its been working. As for my period it last for 4 days now instead of 7 but I still bleed alot."

Lex777 April 25, 2015