User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Review Summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 454 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I got it prescribed when I was 16 for my very hormonal acne (effective birth control was a nice bonus too though.) after about 2.5 months my blotchy mess had become crystal-clear-as-ice skin. I was for 4 years, mostly very clear. Then I thought the problem was probably "fixed" and I went off it when I was 20. I Thought it was giving me headaches too. Quitting was was a nightmare. I had a 17 day period, Then It evened out to every 2 weeks. I started to break out like a volcanic range. I gained weight. I let this go on for 3 years thinking it would stop. I finally decided I'd get back on it a month ago. My skin is so bad on the sides I wear 60s headscarves to hide it, but it's clearing up in other ways. So far no headaches. Just nausea."

Elaine23 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 25, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 18 & have been using Tri Sprintec for the past 4 months mainly to try to get rid of my mild acne. In the first couple weeks, I was hopeful because I saw my face start to clear up & wasn't experiencing any side effects. However, as I kept taking it my acne started to flare up again, along with cramps & bloating pretty much all the time, mood swings, and slight weight gain (5 pounds). Since month 2, I started getting cystic acne (which I've never had before) on both my cheeks and especially in my chin area and along my jaw line, but my forehead stays almost completely clear. I thought my hormones just needed to get used to the pill but my skin has continued to get worse. I stopped taking Tri Sprintec & already seen improvement in 3 days."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been taking Tri-Sprintec for a couple of years now, and can say that it has really helped with my acne. I used to have it really bad, but now it's mostly cleared up (I just seem to get a few breakouts here and there). Also, my period is on a perfect 28 day schedule, so that is a plus."

Rileyann18 (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 15, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've used tri-sprintec for about a year. I started it to have lighter periods & to help get rid of acne. It's worked really well for me & my periods last about 4 days & are very light & I've had one or two breakouts since. So why not a higher score? Well like all women, my period was going to coincide with a beach vacation & I was not ok with that. I decided to skip a period & instead of using my week 4 pills, I skipped right from week 3 to week 1 on a new pack... Worst. Idea. Ever. I still got my period & it's lasted for a month, not to mention I have a major acne breakout & no not just one or two. I'm hoping things will go back to normal soon & I warn everyone if this pill is working well for you, DON'T SKIP A PERIOD INTENTIONALLY."

Anonymous2107 July 10, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "The main reason I started using this medicine was because of my acne. I am on my 3rd month of this medicine and nothing. I was so hopeful that this would clear my skin up or that I would see some type of improvement by now. There is a little difference...my acne is worse at times than it was before!!! So far I am very unsatisfied with this medicine. Birth Control is my last option for treating my acne. I went to the dermatologist for years and NOTHING. This was my last hope, and I seemingly no longer have any hope for clearing my skin. The only side effect I have gotten while being on this Birth Control is that my boobs grew like 2 sizes which I personally hate. I liked having small boobs. Im giving it 3 more months then Im switching,"

amandasw94 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 10, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Made my acne 10 times worse !!!! But I've only been on it for 2 weeks and 2days. I saw that other people's acne got better within 3-4 months so I'll be patient. I take my pill at 10:15 every night. No nausea or throwing up. I think to Better to take your pill at night because I usually get sick from simply taking vitamins in the morning. No bleeding or spotting. No cramps. Slightly cranky but nothing my bf can't handle. Lol. & my breast haven't gotten larger but I have noticed the feel more heavy or full. No breast tenderness though."

Bobo bhanell July 6, 2015

"I've had horrific acne since I was about 14. I constantly piled on make-up and make-up and probably made it worse. When I hit 18 it got really bad, and my freshman year of college my life revolved around finding the right foundation. I finally gave in and went on birth control. I noticed it cleared up a little here and there but never really completely. I stayed on it for the other benefits and after six or seven months I looked in the mirror and noticed my acne had all but vanished. I had not changed my diet, if anything it had gotten worse. I swear it's this pill. I know waiting sucks, but rather 7 months than a few more years. Just start now. What's to loose?"

Charlie Q July 2, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Slow and steady definitely wins this race. I was skeptical going on birth control to fix my ongoing acne battle especially since I am not sexually active. I have been on it for 3 months now and I am so grateful I did this!! My acne has cleared up 80% and I expect it to be closer to 95% for the next pack. It was hard to be patient those 3 months of wondering if it would work, but it did and I'm soo happy about it. At first, I noticed some swelling and tenderness in the chest, but that subsided after about 2-3 weeks, once my body got a bit more used to it. I had a few pounds of weight gain but that has since come off too- and may have been just water weight."

Success3month July 1, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm 19 years old. I've been struggling with cystic acne for about a year and a half now; my problem area being my cheeks . I've been on tri-sprintec for a little over a month.. Can't say I've seen any drastic changes but I feel like it's slowly taking effect (or I just might be desperate for results). I know they say it's 2-3 months for results so I'm remaining hopeful. The only downside I've noticed while taking this pill is that It might've made me break out under and around my jawline which was new for me. Also, I snack way too often now which might be making my breakouts a little excessive when that time of the month comes around."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on TriNessa for 3 months now. This birth control has taken away my menstrual cramps which is a plus but it has made my acne the worst it's even been in my life and I've never had such low self esteem. Personally would not recommend it, but it works differently for everyone."

morg2 May 24, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am about to start my 4th month of TriNessa and to be honest my skin is nowhere near what I thought it would be. I can definitely say my skin has gotten a lot better. I suffered from very bad consistent cystic acne on my cheeks. Since taking this, it has subsided. However, I don't feel like I necessarily have less acne. I still get a couple cystic pimples and break out pretty badly the week before my period and during. I also have bad scars which I have been treating with peels. Although I have seen a huge improvement in my skin, I still do not feel comfortable without makeup. I was hoping by the end of 3 months I would have almost completely clear skin. I have had acne since about 12/13 and I am now 22. Any suggestions? Help please!!!"

Annie Beth May 22, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This stuff is like a wonder pill! My acne is clearing up, my boobs look fuller, didn't change my sex drive, my moods are the same and it fully protects me from having a baby. I couldn't be happier with this because I have tried lots of brands and wasn't on birthcontrol for about four years because I didn't want to go through the same process of hating the form of birth control I was using but my Dr knew exactly what to give me. Be honest with your Dr and always do your research:)"

Alikay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been using Ortho Tri Cyclen for about six months, and there has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of acne, particularly on my forehead and cheeks. There are still small, mostly unnoticeable bumps around my mouth and chin, but these are gradually decreasing as well (just taking a little longer). The one negative thing that I noticed was that previously, my acne would heal quickly without leaving a scar. Now it heals at the same rate but does leave red/pink scarring on my cheeks. I believe it will go away because it has been fading, but it will likely take a while. As far as my cycle is concerned, my periods have been very regular (something that is unusual for me) and light. I have not had any issues with mood swings."

Anon09 May 4, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I really like Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I experienced minimal side effects and it has helped keep my skin clear! After the first pack I had hardly any acne. In terms of my sex drive it has stayed the same. I've always had a really high sex drive so I'm glad it didn't affect it! I really like this birth control pill and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from mild/moderate acne."

Jazz2121 April 29, 2015

"I've just started my 4th month on Sprintec, taking it for acne since I'm not currently sexually active. During the first month, I felt lots of fatigue and brain fogginess that made it hard to concentrate. During the second month, I had the same symptoms, but they decreased as the month went on. However, I gained breast tenderness. During the second month, the brain fogginess returned at the beginning and now I have decreased libido as well. Acne has decreased a small amount, but I still have multiple pimples popping up all throughout the month. Periods are a tiny bit lighter but still last the same time (about a week). Sprintec has been ok, but I will be trying something else once this pack is complete."

Anonymous April 27, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started back in October after suffering about 6months with acne that just kept on getting worse.I had pus filled pimples and small cysts. I didn't see major results until about 2 months in and even then I was still getting one or two cysts. On my third month I wasn't getting cysts and would only get small pimples. I suggest if you start the pill and don't see results immediately to just stick with it for at least 3 months. After my pimples went away I got red hyperpigmentation (which alot of people have been blaming on the pill; its not its from the old pimples) so now I put a little bit of lemon on those parts to lighten them & its been working. As for my period it last for 4 days now instead of 7 but I still bleed alot."

Lex777 April 25, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started tri sprintec in November 2013. The first month, I was extremely moody and had anger problems. After three months, my acne cleared up. It's been over a year, and I haven't seen an spot since! This is great; I also am very active. Some days, my sex drive is not there, usually this happens the first week of the pack. So for birth control purposes, I would rate this as a 10, as well. I've never had any problems and never had any pregnancy scares. My boyfriend noticed that I went up a cup in size. I didn't gain any weight really, I'm just 98 lbs and the maximum, I would be 100 lbs. I would recommend it to anyone who has acne problems. But wait 3-4 months for results."

Cattttt (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on Ortho Tri-cyclen 21 for a month and a week. It does not make me moody or depressed and nor did I gain weight. Those were my two biggest concerns before going on birth control. I am taking it for acne and so far it just tamed my big pimples but I still get small little bumps here and there. I spoke to my doctor and I was told I need to wait at least two months to see results in acne. It helped me incredibly in terms of period cramps, I used to faint often on the first day of my period throwing up and diarrhea. But now none of that thanks to Tri-cyclen :) strongly recommend! beware makes boobs a little sore, not too much."

------ms-------- April 16, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am 16 years old and started this birth control a month ago. Got pretty bad nausea and headaches the first couple weeks but it went away. I don't take the placebo pills for my period week because they make my period worse and going off the placebo seems to help. I started my second pack yesterday and took a double dose because I skipped a day. Woke up this morning, vomited profusely all day. If it gets worse, I'm going to the hospital."

SarMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my second time starting Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. This birth control is pretty much the only thing that works for my adult moderate/severe acne. The first time I took it after about 3 months my skin was vastly improved and after 6 months my skin was completely clear. Then after 12 months my pharmacist put me on the generic (Tricira Lo) which is a bad idea. My skin freaked out with cysts all over my chin and near my nose area. I'm on my second month of tri-cyclen and am waiting for my skin to clear up again :("

Anonymous April 6, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "1) Cleared my skin up within 4 months. Still occasional problem spots around the time of my period but it's a joke compared to what I used to have to put up with. 2) POTENTIALLY IMPORTANT: When I got to the last week of hormonal pills (the super-strength hormone loaded ones before the week of placebos) for the first 5ish months on the pill I found that I would be prone to existential emotional breakdowns or feel more anxious/depressed than usual that week. I didn't notice the correlation for an embarrassing amount of time. I was very relieved when I did figure it out and I wish I had figured it out sooner. Now that I've been on it for a year this problem has almost disappeared. Just something to be aware of for the first few months!"

Hell week (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Getting on birth control was my last resort in trying to get rid of my terrible cystic, hormonal acne. The kind that looked even worse under makeup. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. I even took special woman's vitamins called vitex which made me have a full body itch for two straight weeks even after I quit using it. Since I knew that my acne was hormonal because of it's location and the irregularity of my periods, I broke down and went to the gynecologist (even though I was terrified). It turned out that I had high levels of testosterone. Even after 2 months, I saw results. After 4 months, I can happily say that I only get 1 or 2 pimples a month as opposed to the usual 10 or more! Now I just have to deal with the post-acne red marks.:("

ValVal1115 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "If you have lost all hope over your acne, give TriNessa a patient try! I have always had moderate acne, but for the past half year my face broke out tremendously. I would constantly fret and cry about the painful and ugly cystic acne on my cheeks and when my gynecologist proscribed birth control for my hormonal acne, TriNessa was a godsend. It took time like many others mention, but as I am finishing my third month the acne I had several months back is now a nightmare along with scars to remind me. Along with taking this birth control my dermatologist prescribed a topical cream called Epiduo which helped in the process as I waited for my hormones to balance with the medication. THANK YOU TRINESSA!!!!!"

AnastasiaO March 23, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I just started my fourth month and I'm still hopeful I'll see my acne start to clear up. It hasn't really seen any improvements if anything it is a bit worse. I also get my period two times a month and I called my doctor to inform her and she said after three months that should start getting regulated as well as the acne. So im hopeful with in the next two packages of Tri Sprintec my acne and cycle start responding well. A good benefit is that my breasts have grown a cup size. I will post again at the end of 6 packages of pills and how that has impacted me. Overall im still hopeful because of what my doctor told me."

madi04 March 21, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "On month 5 of taking Sprintec and it has almost completely cleared my cystic acne that I have had for over 5 years! Now all I have to do is clear up these acne scars!"

Kimmy35 March 5, 2015