Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate review summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Review by madi04:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I just started my fourth month and I'm still hopeful I'll see my acne start to clear up. It hasn't really seen any improvements if anything it is a bit worse. I also get my period two times a month and I called my doctor to inform her and she said after three months that should start getting regulated as well as the acne. So im hopeful with in the next two packages of Tri Sprintec my acne and cycle start responding well. A good benefit is that my breasts have grown a cup size. I will post again at the end of 6 packages of pills and how that has impacted me. Overall im still hopeful because of what my doctor told me.

March 21, 2015 8:15 PM

Review by Kimmy35:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): On month 5 of taking Sprintec and it has almost completely cleared my cystic acne that I have had for over 5 years! Now all I have to do is clear up these acne scars!

March 5, 2015 4:14 AM

Review by Katieb22:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I am 19 years old and have suffered from moderate to severe acne since I was 13. I had tried everything. And when I say everything%u2026I mean EVERYTHING. Long story short I have finally found something that works for me. Just wanting to share: I have been seeing positive results after taking a women's multivitamin and a vitamin A. As well as getting prescribed a Tretinoin .05 gel. You can do the research but just wanted to also tell people about those. Good luck! I hope you have to same great results I have!

December 5, 2014 10:01 AM

Review by Nycgirl9596 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I am starting my third month of this birth control and I have to say it's pretty good. My acne has decreased dramatically. I used to have a lot of cystic acne spread throughout my face and now it is decreasing. Also, my period is very light and it lasts about 3 to 4 days. I actually experienced cramps the last time I had my period on the first day but once I took two Advils I was fine. As for weight I have maintained the same way however my breasts do increase right before my period and I do feel bloated on the first day. I would recommend this if you're looking to treat your acne.

November 24, 2014 10:06 PM

Review by Elena77:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I started taking birth control mainly for acne. I've had severe body acne since I was a teen. It's been so bad that I've been embarrassed to wear clothes that even expose my shoulders since my skin resembles a Dalmatian. I'm 22 now and I've tried all sorts treatments including head and shoulders, zinc supplements, ointments galore, and salicylic acid. None had a lasting change. Then finally, I went on birth control for the first time. Wow. At last. I am on week 3. No new acne, anywhere. My skin is even less oily, red, and irritated. As a bonus, my breast seems fuller! I haven't had any mood swings, bloating or cramps. (I was very worried about that before). Just exercise and stay positive!

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 24, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by Mariah26:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have taken Trinessa for about 8 months and during maybe the first 2 I felt some nausea, but it quickly cleared my acne up and also helped with my heavy, painful menstrul cycle. I also noticed that I have a smaller appetite now and I have lost 15 pounds during the summer but I'm not complaining.

October 19, 2014 6:29 PM

Review by AcneProbs (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I started taking Tri-Sprintec 7 months ago. I mainly wanted it to treat acne but also as birth control. I had moderate acne and it actually took a while for the pill to finally help my skin. I had to be patient with it because it took about 4-5 months for my skin to clear up with occasional pimples around my period. The pill did thankfully increase my breasts size after a couple weeks to a month of taking it, and I felt like my appetite has increased but I've only gained around 7 pounds since I started and I've always been at 100 pounds. This pill has been great to me and I haven't had any problems with it so far (that I know of).

September 29, 2014 3:54 PM

Review by Funny girl (taken for less than 1 month):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I primarily took this to control my periods so I don't have to stress out even more on finals week. I have no mood swings but I do get more nauseous than usual. I also got my cystic acne back (6 simples vs 3 tiny usual pimples). I have oily skin and realize that a lot of it has to do with that and not cleaning my face properly. However, I realize that mino cycline and doxycycline have worked wonders with my acne in the past. Though they are not birth control, I would consider those instead for those of you interested in clearing up your skin best.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 22, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by Jennenay (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've always been lucky to have naturally flawless skin, but then the beginning of this year I got the most intense cystic acne on both of my cheek bones. It looked like I had an allergic reaction to blush. I tried everything, Proactive, dermatologists visits, prescribed medication, expensive products, facials. My skin other than my acne zones was soft and smooth but nothing was treating the actual problem on my cheeks. I decided to change my birth control. I was on Levora for a few years before switching to Tri-Nessa a few months ago. TriNessa took a couple months to fix the acne but I couldn't be happier! I'm just waiting for my skin to renew to get rid of the red. My confidence is back! Be patient it's worth it!

August 27, 2014 4:13 PM

Review by olivia1234323:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,

August 25, 2014 3:32 PM

Review by Roxy S:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): This is my 4th month on Trinessa. My doctor put me on it to help with my heavy and irregular periods as well as my acne. The first 2 months didn't seem to have any effect on me other than make me break out. In fact, this first period I had on this medicine seemed longer (around 7 days) and more painful than ever before. I even experienced a bit of sickness around the first week. But I kept taking it, and it has finally started clearing up my acne and the last period I had was only 4 days with minimal cramping. This birth control is pretty effective for me, and it's finally doing it's job. The point is: give it time to work.

July 29, 2014 3:15 AM

Review by Dakota1234:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I'm 17 and this is the first method of birth control I have tried, been taking it for three weeks. It has been Amazing! My acne has completely cleared up in all areas (whole face, chest, back) and I have had no bad side effects!

July 8, 2014 5:21 PM

Review by anutterblonde (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I got on this medication to control my acne. For the most part, it is really helping. I don't get near as many deep pimples as I used to, and my back is starting to clear up. However, it's not as nice as I would like it to be. I suffered no side effects from this medicine. Weird thing though: my period will not shift to the 28 day routine. It comes early on the birth control, like on day 25. And the cramps are still the same, and I am still getting night sweats.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 12, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by SnoopsMom2914:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen.

May 1, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by eccles227 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been in Trinessa for about 3 months now. I had SEVERE inflammatory and prior to getting on Trinessa. I've always had moderate acne but after my small pox vaccination (required by the military to deploy to the middle East) My doctor prescribed this pill solely for my acne. It took about a month and a half of using it to really notice a difference but man when it kicked in it kicked in. I get maybe 2-4 pimples a week now vs 20 new ones. And the ones I do get are not nearly as big or as inflamed. Even when I'm in my period I get far less than I used to. This was a miracle for me!

April 17, 2014 6:42 PM

Review by saymm:

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen.

April 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by Anonymous :-):

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have only been on this pill for one cycle, but it seems as if my acne is worse. I was put on Trinessa solely for my acne and now I'm considering stopping. I have read reviews and the vast majority of those reviews mention a huge flare-up in their acne, just as I have, which makes me think that this isn't unusual. I really want to stick with it, but I'm not sure my self-confidence can handle it.

March 23, 2014 10:18 AM

Review by Fullofsmiles:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've been on this birth control for six months and I love it. I had acne all over my back and very few on my face. Within the first month my face cleared up and some on my back. Im now going on my seventh month and my whole back is clear. Ladies with acne definitely need to try this and Give it time to work

March 21, 2014 2:12 AM

Review by Acne at 31 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): Since having my last child at age 27, my acne has been out of control. Serious cystic breakouts (forehead, chin, temples). When they just about heal up, BOOM, here comes the new ones. I have tried it all, literally. I did lemon juice, baking soda, vinegar, herbs, masks, lotions, pH balancing washes etc. NOTHING worked. I was so sick of it. At 30 I got Tri-Sprintec. The results were amazing. 1st month, I noticed the breakouts weren't as severe (but still there). 2nd month, I noticed the inflammation was better, still a few break out spots. 3rd month, I noticed I barely broke out (just on my temple area and one spot on my chin). 4th Month-NO MORE BREAKOUTS!

March 3, 2014 4:58 PM

Review by beemed:

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I would just like to say if you're looking for a solution for you're acne PLEASE try this. I have been struggling with acne for a few years, I have tried everything from over the counter to prescribed medicine and NOTHING worked. Finally I decided to get on the pill because I had very deep painful cystic acne along my jawline and chin that wouldn't go away. I have been on Sprintec for 2 months now and my skin is 100% clear. Only time I get a pimple is around my period but it is so much more manageable. Trust me this pill is my magic pill.

February 24, 2014 1:15 AM

Review by Krissy V (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have just completed one pack of the Tri-Sprintec. I was prescribed Ortho but was given Tri-Sprintec due to insurance. I am 30 years old and have not had any major acne in years. The last major outbreak I have had was when I was 24. I would still get the occasion 1-2 acne but it would only occur every several months. This month has been horrible on Tri-Sprintec. I've had at least 20+ acne spots on my face. I've tried to used multiple products to clear it up to no avail. It is all hormonal cystic acne that is mainly concentrated around my mouth area/chin and they all leave scarring. I'm honestly not sure if I can last 3 months on it to see if it will get better for me. I do not normally break out so this terrifies me!

February 10, 2014 1:39 AM

Review by WhitLeah:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I've only been on it for a week and my acne is already starting to clear up.

January 30, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by Baka:

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I have not changed anything about my daily routine, but after a month my acne is gone, and I have magically lost 10 lbs

January 28, 2014 2:24 PM

Review by nadiaaaa:

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I love this birth control. I've been on the pill for about 6 months and I still have NO Side effects, well I do eat alot. I'm now 159 lbs but that's okay. I got on this pill for birth control but mainly for acne, and it works so great. It gets worse before it gets better, I recommend this pill for everybody. Try it.

December 13, 2013 12:26 PM

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): I'm 22yrs old and have been dealing with acne since about 13yrs old. I've been on Tri-Sprintec for almost two years now and what a difference. It has to be the best birth control I've ever been on. No gaining weight, mood changes, and my face stays clear even when it is that time of the month. Life changing.

December 7, 2013 8:55 AM