User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, TriNessa, ...show all 16 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Review Summary

7.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 455 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on TriNessa for 3 months now. This birth control has taken away my menstrual cramps which is a plus but it has made my acne the worst it's even been in my life and I've never had such low self esteem. Personally would not recommend it, but it works differently for everyone."

morg2 May 24, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am about to start my 4th month of TriNessa and to be honest my skin is nowhere near what I thought it would be. I can definitely say my skin has gotten a lot better. I suffered from very bad consistent cystic acne on my cheeks. Since taking this, it has subsided. However, I don't feel like I necessarily have less acne. I still get a couple cystic pimples and break out pretty badly the week before my period and during. I also have bad scars which I have been treating with peels. Although I have seen a huge improvement in my skin, I still do not feel comfortable without makeup. I was hoping by the end of 3 months I would have almost completely clear skin. I have had acne since about 12/13 and I am now 22. Any suggestions? Help please!!!"

Annie Beth May 22, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This stuff is like a wonder pill! My acne is clearing up, my boobs look fuller, didn't change my sex drive, my moods are the same and it fully protects me from having a baby. I couldn't be happier with this because I have tried lots of brands and wasn't on birthcontrol for about four years because I didn't want to go through the same process of hating the form of birth control I was using but my Dr knew exactly what to give me. Be honest with your Dr and always do your research:)"

Alikay (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 10, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been using Ortho Tri Cyclen for about six months, and there has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of acne, particularly on my forehead and cheeks. There are still small, mostly unnoticeable bumps around my mouth and chin, but these are gradually decreasing as well (just taking a little longer). The one negative thing that I noticed was that previously, my acne would heal quickly without leaving a scar. Now it heals at the same rate but does leave red/pink scarring on my cheeks. I believe it will go away because it has been fading, but it will likely take a while. As far as my cycle is concerned, my periods have been very regular (something that is unusual for me) and light. I have not had any issues with mood swings."

Anon09 May 4, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I really like Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I experienced minimal side effects and it has helped keep my skin clear! After the first pack I had hardly any acne. In terms of my sex drive it has stayed the same. I've always had a really high sex drive so I'm glad it didn't affect it! I really like this birth control pill and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from mild/moderate acne."

Jazz2121 April 29, 2015

"I've just started my 4th month on Sprintec, taking it for acne since I'm not currently sexually active. During the first month, I felt lots of fatigue and brain fogginess that made it hard to concentrate. During the second month, I had the same symptoms, but they decreased as the month went on. However, I gained breast tenderness. During the second month, the brain fogginess returned at the beginning and now I have decreased libido as well. Acne has decreased a small amount, but I still have multiple pimples popping up all throughout the month. Periods are a tiny bit lighter but still last the same time (about a week). Sprintec has been ok, but I will be trying something else once this pack is complete."

Anonymous April 27, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started back in October after suffering about 6months with acne that just kept on getting worse.I had pus filled pimples and small cysts. I didn't see major results until about 2 months in and even then I was still getting one or two cysts. On my third month I wasn't getting cysts and would only get small pimples. I suggest if you start the pill and don't see results immediately to just stick with it for at least 3 months. After my pimples went away I got red hyperpigmentation (which alot of people have been blaming on the pill; its not its from the old pimples) so now I put a little bit of lemon on those parts to lighten them & its been working. As for my period it last for 4 days now instead of 7 but I still bleed alot."

Lex777 April 25, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started tri sprintec in November 2013. The first month, I was extremely moody and had anger problems. After three months, my acne cleared up. It's been over a year, and I haven't seen an spot since! This is great; I also am very active. Some days, my sex drive is not there, usually this happens the first week of the pack. So for birth control purposes, I would rate this as a 10, as well. I've never had any problems and never had any pregnancy scares. My boyfriend noticed that I went up a cup in size. I didn't gain any weight really, I'm just 98 lbs and the maximum, I would be 100 lbs. I would recommend it to anyone who has acne problems. But wait 3-4 months for results."

Cattttt (taken for 1 to 2 years) April 22, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on Ortho Tri-cyclen 21 for a month and a week. It does not make me moody or depressed and nor did I gain weight. Those were my two biggest concerns before going on birth control. I am taking it for acne and so far it just tamed my big pimples but I still get small little bumps here and there. I spoke to my doctor and I was told I need to wait at least two months to see results in acne. It helped me incredibly in terms of period cramps, I used to faint often on the first day of my period throwing up and diarrhea. But now none of that thanks to Tri-cyclen :) strongly recommend! beware makes boobs a little sore, not too much."

------ms-------- April 16, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am 16 years old and started this birth control a month ago. Got pretty bad nausea and headaches the first couple weeks but it went away. I don't take the placebo pills for my period week because they make my period worse and going off the placebo seems to help. I started my second pack yesterday and took a double dose because I skipped a day. Woke up this morning, vomited profusely all day. If it gets worse, I'm going to the hospital."

SarMay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my second time starting Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. This birth control is pretty much the only thing that works for my adult moderate/severe acne. The first time I took it after about 3 months my skin was vastly improved and after 6 months my skin was completely clear. Then after 12 months my pharmacist put me on the generic (Tricira Lo) which is a bad idea. My skin freaked out with cysts all over my chin and near my nose area. I'm on my second month of tri-cyclen and am waiting for my skin to clear up again :("

Anonymous April 6, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "1) Cleared my skin up within 4 months. Still occasional problem spots around the time of my period but it's a joke compared to what I used to have to put up with. 2) POTENTIALLY IMPORTANT: When I got to the last week of hormonal pills (the super-strength hormone loaded ones before the week of placebos) for the first 5ish months on the pill I found that I would be prone to existential emotional breakdowns or feel more anxious/depressed than usual that week. I didn't notice the correlation for an embarrassing amount of time. I was very relieved when I did figure it out and I wish I had figured it out sooner. Now that I've been on it for a year this problem has almost disappeared. Just something to be aware of for the first few months!"

Hell week (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Getting on birth control was my last resort in trying to get rid of my terrible cystic, hormonal acne. The kind that looked even worse under makeup. I tried EVERYTHING to get rid of it. I even took special woman's vitamins called vitex which made me have a full body itch for two straight weeks even after I quit using it. Since I knew that my acne was hormonal because of it's location and the irregularity of my periods, I broke down and went to the gynecologist (even though I was terrified). It turned out that I had high levels of testosterone. Even after 2 months, I saw results. After 4 months, I can happily say that I only get 1 or 2 pimples a month as opposed to the usual 10 or more! Now I just have to deal with the post-acne red marks.:("

ValVal1115 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 29, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "If you have lost all hope over your acne, give TriNessa a patient try! I have always had moderate acne, but for the past half year my face broke out tremendously. I would constantly fret and cry about the painful and ugly cystic acne on my cheeks and when my gynecologist proscribed birth control for my hormonal acne, TriNessa was a godsend. It took time like many others mention, but as I am finishing my third month the acne I had several months back is now a nightmare along with scars to remind me. Along with taking this birth control my dermatologist prescribed a topical cream called Epiduo which helped in the process as I waited for my hormones to balance with the medication. THANK YOU TRINESSA!!!!!"

AnastasiaO March 23, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I just started my fourth month and I'm still hopeful I'll see my acne start to clear up. It hasn't really seen any improvements if anything it is a bit worse. I also get my period two times a month and I called my doctor to inform her and she said after three months that should start getting regulated as well as the acne. So im hopeful with in the next two packages of Tri Sprintec my acne and cycle start responding well. A good benefit is that my breasts have grown a cup size. I will post again at the end of 6 packages of pills and how that has impacted me. Overall im still hopeful because of what my doctor told me."

madi04 March 21, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "On month 5 of taking Sprintec and it has almost completely cleared my cystic acne that I have had for over 5 years! Now all I have to do is clear up these acne scars!"

Kimmy35 March 5, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have had acne since I was about 12 and now I am 22. I have tried everything under the sun to try and stop the horrid look. When my white heads turned into cyst like pimples I knew I had to completely do something else. I never took birth control before, but my dermatologist prescribed me TriNessa and I bless her heart everyday!!!! I love that I can be 100% honest and say this birth control changed my life. I started it in the beginning of December 2014 and it is now February of 2015 and my cysts are completely gone! It obviously is not going to happen over night, so take the time and try it! I also didn't gain weight from it, that's always a plus. So, drink water, workout, and take TriNessa and you will be a happy, happy girl!!!!!!!!"

macy57 (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 17, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this about a year ago and boy I didn't realize how good it was until I switched to another medicine. I started taking Avianne two weeks ago on a fluke when I switched Dr's and tried a new RX, and wow is it terrible! Avianne has made me gain 5 lbs in 2 weeks, break out, have a longer period, and be extremely moody. It made my boobs a little bigger which I liked but in no way is that worth the trade off. I just called my Dr. requesting to be put back on tri-previfem, which regulated my periods, and did not make me gain weight. I have always heard horror stories about what birth control can do to you, but I never experienced it until I left tri previfem. Can't wait to get back on it!"

MissF321 (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 5, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am 19 years old and have suffered from moderate to severe acne since I was 13. I had tried everything. And when I say everything%u2026I mean EVERYTHING. Long story short I have finally found something that works for me. Just wanting to share: I have been seeing positive results after taking a women's multivitamin and a vitamin A. As well as getting prescribed a Tretinoin .05 gel. You can do the research but just wanted to also tell people about those. Good luck! I hope you have to same great results I have!"

Katieb22 December 5, 2014

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am starting my third month of this birth control and I have to say it's pretty good. My acne has decreased dramatically. I used to have a lot of cystic acne spread throughout my face and now it is decreasing. Also, my period is very light and it lasts about 3 to 4 days. I actually experienced cramps the last time I had my period on the first day but once I took two Advils I was fine. As for weight I have maintained the same way however my breasts do increase right before my period and I do feel bloated on the first day. I would recommend this if you're looking to treat your acne."

Nycgirl9596 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 24, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking birth control mainly for acne. I've had severe body acne since I was a teen. It's been so bad that I've been embarrassed to wear clothes that even expose my shoulders since my skin resembles a Dalmatian. I'm 22 now and I've tried all sorts treatments including head and shoulders, zinc supplements, ointments galore, and salicylic acid. None had a lasting change. Then finally, I went on birth control for the first time. Wow. At last. I am on week 3. No new acne, anywhere. My skin is even less oily, red, and irritated. As a bonus, my breast seems fuller! I haven't had any mood swings, bloating or cramps. (I was very worried about that before). Just exercise and stay positive!"

Elena77 November 24, 2014

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have taken Trinessa for about 8 months and during maybe the first 2 I felt some nausea, but it quickly cleared my acne up and also helped with my heavy, painful menstrul cycle. I also noticed that I have a smaller appetite now and I have lost 15 pounds during the summer but I'm not complaining."

Mariah26 October 19, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking Tri-Sprintec 7 months ago. I mainly wanted it to treat acne but also as birth control. I had moderate acne and it actually took a while for the pill to finally help my skin. I had to be patient with it because it took about 4-5 months for my skin to clear up with occasional pimples around my period. The pill did thankfully increase my breasts size after a couple weeks to a month of taking it, and I felt like my appetite has increased but I've only gained around 7 pounds since I started and I've always been at 100 pounds. This pill has been great to me and I haven't had any problems with it so far (that I know of)."

AcneProbs (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 29, 2014

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I primarily took this to control my periods so I don't have to stress out even more on finals week. I have no mood swings but I do get more nauseous than usual. I also got my cystic acne back (6 simples vs 3 tiny usual pimples). I have oily skin and realize that a lot of it has to do with that and not cleaning my face properly. However, I realize that mino cycline and doxycycline have worked wonders with my acne in the past. Though they are not birth control, I would consider those instead for those of you interested in clearing up your skin best."

Funny girl (taken for less than 1 month) September 22, 2014

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've always been lucky to have naturally flawless skin, but then the beginning of this year I got the most intense cystic acne on both of my cheek bones. It looked like I had an allergic reaction to blush. I tried everything, Proactive, dermatologists visits, prescribed medication, expensive products, facials. My skin other than my acne zones was soft and smooth but nothing was treating the actual problem on my cheeks. I decided to change my birth control. I was on Levora for a few years before switching to Tri-Nessa a few months ago. TriNessa took a couple months to fix the acne but I couldn't be happier! I'm just waiting for my skin to renew to get rid of the red. My confidence is back! Be patient it's worth it!"

Jennenay (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2014