User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 462 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this pill for 5 months before I really started noticing the extreme PMS effects. It worked for acne pretty quickly but approaching months 4-5 I noticed I was getting really upset and angry with those around me the week of my period. I think my body grew to expect the hormones and when I wasn't taking it, I'd get extremely and irrationally angry. Switching to a lower dose pill or just pulling the plug on BC in general because this is really scaring me."

Aggravated (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I started Sprintec when I was around 15-16 and am currently 18, I love it! I didn't have any side effects at all and my sister (who is also on it) only got some headaches the first few weeks. My mom actually asked my dermatologist to see if I could go on it and she said that was a good option. Its gotten rid of about 85% of my acne and I'm a lot more confident in my skin. It took me a really long time for the pills to synchronize with my body (around 3-6 months) but now, I know the exact day and around the time I get my period. It's so nice because I plan around it haha! I think I got lucky as i haven't had any side effects. I love it and it worked great for my acne."

msd2456 February 3, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took ortho tri cyclen for about six months,plenty of time to give it a chance to completely clear my acne but unfortunately that was not the case. My skin always had at least 3 zits. I experienced major spotting almost constantly and only had about 2 months of no blood. I was extremely moody as if I was bipolar and/or always about to get my period.The breakthrough bleeding was so painful. I had to take Tylenol at least once a day.This was my experience but my 23 year old friend loves it and her skin is never better but she does have spotting. I got a 9 month supply of this pill for free "

EMMSTHENAME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've had issues with acne since around middle school and have literally tried everything from different topical creams to antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotics were not a safe long term fix so I initially started taking Beyaz and was on that bc for about 4 months. My acne did not improve that significantly so my dermo switched me to Ortho Tricyclen about 3 months ago. I think that you should be aware that your acne will probably get a little worse before it gets better. I had a horrible break out like 2 months in and I got super frustated but now my acne is so much better on my face and chest so I think it's working! I have also been taking spironolactone as well."

Lex2233 January 31, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my third month into Trinessa. I can't say I hate it, and definitely can't say I love it. During my first 2 weeks I experienced very awful breast tenderness (making roller coasters at the time not a pleasant experience) and some nausea and major headaches. My first period on this was a little hellish, but my periods before the pill were 8 long, heavy days. I was put on this pill for my acne. Before the pill, I always got acne before and after my period on my forehead (cystic) and when I started this pill I started only getting whiteheads (which is doable). It's the week after my period, and for 3 long weeks I've had awful cystic acne on my chin and forehead. I am planning to give the pill at least 3 more months."

Anonymouspn January 22, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "So I have been on the pill for just over a month and have noticed my acne get a bit worse. Other than that, it's all positive. Absolutely no mood swings (if anything it has made me more calm)... zero cramps and lighter period. My boobs have increased at least a full cup size! Will give this a try for at least another 5 months as I have heard that acne can get worse before it gets better :)"

nataliepeds January 20, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this birth control in September when my acne started to become uncontrollable. It has helped immensely with my hormonal skin issues. However, I started breaking out along my cheeks where I had never previously broken out before. I realized this area was related to stomach issues and read that birth control can kill the good bacteria in the stomach lining. If you're experiencing break outs along your cheeks I highly recommend taking a probiotic daily in conjunction with your birth control! It has helped immensely!! My skin is looking so much better! However, each month I seem to get really depressed right before the week of the placebo pills and am hoping this side effect subsides!! Just be very wary of this!!"

Shelbyyy January 18, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm finishing my first pack of Ortho currently. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I'm breaking out worse, my acne is more inflamed, and my skin is looking more rough overall. Before starting this medication, my acne was mainly inflamed pustules with a pus-filled head covering my cheeks. Now I'm getting minor "cysts" that are completely under the skin and very red, and really really hurt. My acne has never hurt before and now it is, so that's a change. Also I have more general whiteheads than before. Also noticed my acne is increasing in my chin/jawline area, and beforehand my acne was mainly concentrated in my cheeks. I'm disappointed so far and wondering if I should even continue."

Lc123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "When I told my doctor about how previous birth controls had made me break out, she prescribed this medicine. "It'll clear your face up", she said. Nope. Nah ah. I have taken this medication for over 2 months and it has made my acne WORSE. WAY worse. Painful cystic acne worse. All over. I haven't had acne this bad since high school. It has also made my period very heavy and blood clot-filled, which last for 7 days. Also MOODSWINGS. Horrible mood swings. The only positive is that I haven't gotten pregnant. But is it worth it when you're left feeling horribly self-conscious and depressed???"

AlexAndStuff January 16, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "First month on trinessa and I can say I have no complaints what so ever it makes my skin glow I may get like up to 3 pimples max during the time of the month. I have struggled with acne 5 years and this is the best ive seen my skin in years"

best acne treatment so far January 8, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "2nd review (2nd month on trinessa). In my first review I gave a 1star because I got TONS of cyst acne in the first 3 wks of taking Trinessa. I'm now on my second month and my cysts seem to be slowly disappearing or at least shrinking and I haven't gotten any new cysts. I'm starting to feel a bit more positive with this BC."

Jessica Trinessa not for me? (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "PLEASE READ THIS: Tri-Sprintec will cause an initial breakout for the first 3-4 months. DON'T BE DISCOURAGED! After this period, your skin will clear up like magic! I'm 20 years old and have been on tri-sprintec on/off since I was 18. I've had severe acne since I was about 12/13 years old and have seen multiple dermatologists since then. Nothing worked until I went to my gyno to get on birth control and she recommended tri-sprintec bc it helped with acne. At first, I felt mild nausea and severe depression/mood swings/etc. but as time passed this went away. Each time I got back on the medication, I would have a terrible break out period but it's completely worth it. This is a great pill and I've never had problems w it."

Evie Eden (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 30, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm on the final week of my 3 pack of Ortho. I haven't had any side effects from this. In the past I've had issues with BC affecting my moods and sex drive, abnormal bleeding and making my hormonal acne even worse. So I'm giving it an 8. Because it's not helping helping with my hormonal acne at all."

29PalmsBabe December 29, 2015

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've had a pretty good experience with this oral contraceptive since I started taking it about a year ago. I originally started taking it as both a birth control method and to help manage hormonal acne that I suffered with as a result of a previous IUD that left me with a hormonal imbalance. Since using Tri-Previfem or Tri-Estarylla (depending on what my pharmacy has at the time) my acne has become significantly better, and when something does pop up it is much easier to manage. Also, cramping during menstruation is no longer an issue for me. The only "negative" side effect I've noticed is that I'm left with "swollen" painful/sore breasts nearly every day."

Jen4455 December 27, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I liked this bc quite a bit. I was on it for five years. It did make me nauseous if I didn't eat anything beforehand, but that is easily avoidable. It helped with my acne some but not a lot which is why my doc switched me. I didn't experience any weight gain or loss. I also didn't notice any difference in sex drive or cramps increase. Lastly, I didn't get pregnant on it, and that's the most important thing to me. I think if it weren't a hassle for me to switch back, I would since gildess isn't helping the acne either."

Lexington5652 (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 20, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm almost finished with my second month on trisprintec. First of all I'd like to say that you cannot judge this drug by the way it works for you in two weeks. You need to take it for at least 3 months in order for your body to adjust to it. (Obviously if the side effects are too much to bear, stop taking it) Although it did clear up my acne in the first month. The only negative side effect I've had is a little cramping and headaches throughout the month. I've also heard that the name brand is better, so I'm thinking about trying that for a while."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Ladies do not give up, I have been searching for a year for something to heal my cystic jawline acne and chin and literally my skin was so disgusting I stopped being social because my self esteem was at the lowest it's ever been- let me tell you though- my dermatologist prescribed trinessa bc for my acne and at first it did nothing but make it worse and I felt hopeless but BY THE END OF THE THIRD MONTH oh my god! It was like a miracle!! My skin is glowing and I can say give it time because this really does work by month 3/4 you should see results up to 6 months but patience is key. I am so happy and I will never try anything else. All I use now for my skin care regimens is cetaphil for oily skin cleanser, and olay hydrating lotion."

Chelsc (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 15, 2015

Estarylla (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am 26 and have tried many different types of oral birth control. The main reason I am on BCPs are for acne. Overall this pill is not bad I have been on it for about 3 months now and my face has cleared up from the last pill. minimal acne. My mood is stable no changes, the first 2 months I spotted for a week or two in between the middle of the active pills. Overall a lighter flow and no cramping. I have noticed my breast have been very tender. The major downside of this pill is that it has decreased my sex drive, vaginal dryness, and some painful sex. My boyfriend is not a fan of any of this nor am I.The main reason I am giving it a 7. switching next pack to low dose levonorgestrel."

Matorres89 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 10, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "My doctor had switched me to to Trinessa (as it was completely covered by my insurance) about 2 years ago. It cleaned up my acne gave me soft beautiful skin. Light periods. And my cramps went away. But about 6 month ago I noticed I was getting pimples at the time of my period. No big deal because the went away at the end of my period. However the last couple of months I've had really bad breakouts on my chin and they are not going away! I guess every good thing comes to an end"

It did work (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking TriNessa 3wks ago to help with my cyst acne and my cyst acne is so bad! My jaw line is ten times worse than it was so I’m really on the fence as to whether this was a good idea ☹ . I literally went from having one or two cysts during my period to now having ten on one side of my face and 5 on the other side the entire month! I’m getting a new one every day and they are so painful I have to ice them down at night and in the morning. I’ve read reviews that said things got worse before they got better and I really hope this is the case and I hope there won't be any scaring. I’ll update this review in a month."

Jessica Trinessa not for me? December 7, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have delt with acne since I was 15, Throughout high school it was here and there. After high school it got worse and worse. I am now 21 and just finishing my second month on being on Ortho tri-cyclen and my acne has increased since using (which I was told and aware of). I was very hopeful but I'm starting to get discouraged and starting to dread looking at my face everyday. I'm going to continue using it and hope for the best. I really hope this works for me."

Anonymous November 30, 2015

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Went on this to try and get my hormonal acne under control, and while it took about six months to get rid of my acne, I couldn't be happier with it now. (I've been on it for about eight months, and now I don't have any cysts or whiteheads. It feels like a miracle!)"

ginnyoh November 28, 2015

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "At around 14, I went from beautiful ice white skin to a horrible battle zone on my face. My forehead and chin were covered in severe acne. I tried everything. Murad, proactive you name it. I wouldn't take pics, I was so ashamed. Hard enough bein a teen! Long story short, I researched And found that ortho tri cyclen was affective. I requested it before they were gonna put me on Accutane (noooo!) & within 3 months my skin was CLEAR and still is. I was 17, now I'm 22. Sometimes you have to research for yourself and be your own advocate with doctors. If not, I would of been put on accutane. The first week you will be a little nauseated on the pill, but it goes away and your periods are only 3 days long with no cramps! Life saver"

Savannah123 November 21, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my first week on it and its seems to be starting to control my acne but I will randomly get sick to my stomach and want to throw up. I also seem to be getting that brown discharge everyone else seems to have written about. I would recommend taking it with food. other than that, it seems to be the best out of the many birth controls I have tried"

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) November 11, 2015

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm finishing up my first month on Spintec. So far here's what I've gotten out of it. I do not feel like it has made me gain weight at all, possibly even helped to loose some. Normal appetite and my mood seems stable (I'm kind of an emotional mess anyways so i'll just say its not worsened). My breasts have been soooo tender all month, like everyday. But the part that's bothering me most is breaking out- I read a lot of people were on this bc to control breakouts. I started taking it for hormonal balance and to prevent pregnancy. I rarely ever have noticeable acne on my face, but these last two week I've had horrible breakouts on my chin, forehead, and sides on face. I really hope its just the initial hormonal changes and it will clear up."

TMB7292 November 9, 2015