User Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate

Also known as: Estarylla, Mono-Linyah, Mononessa, Ortho Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen, Ortho Tri-Cyclen Lo, Previfem, Sprintec, Tri-Estarylla, Tri-Linyah, Tri-Lo-Estarylla, Tri-Lo-Marzia, Tri-Lo-Sprintec, Tri-Previfem, Tri-Sprintec, ...show all 17 brand names

Learn more about Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate.

Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate Rating Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 429 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ethinyl estradiol/norgestimate to treat Acne

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this medication for 6 months already and my skin is worse than before taking it. I'm have suffered from acne for 17 years, but I had not had any breakouts on my forehead for a long time until I got on this pill. I won't even talk about my chin because it's terrible. I really feel frustrated because I have spent thousands of dollars trying to find a solution for my chronic acne and I have not been successful. I've tried antibiotics, ointments, scrubs, etc... my last resource was this pill and it didn't work."

Sonia3039 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 22, 2016

Tri-Linyah (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this pill about a year ago and I LOVE it. I originally went on it for sever acne and it completely cleared up. I read all this stuff about people gaining weight but I've maintained the same weight I've had for 3 years now. Also I haven't got pregnant which is the most important thing!"

Kayla49289 May 13, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I started taking this because my cycle was every 23 days and I heard that it could help with acne too. I never had bad acne just one or two on my chin the week prior to my period. But after taking this my acne is worse than it has ever been. I've been getting cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. And the worst part is that they severely scarred my skin and I never scarred before taking birth control. I've heard that in the first few months it can get worse before it gets better but I'm on my 9th month and it just continues to get worse. But I do like that it completely regulated my period to a 28 day cycle. I've decided to switch to a lower hormone birth control to see if that will help the acne subside."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclin for about 12 months and my skin has been flawless. I love how it's cleared up my acne but I'm having major breakthrough bleeding at the moment. I missed 2 pills about 2 weeks ago and I have since then been bleeding continuously and i'm just about to go on my placebo pills, so after i'm finished with this pack it will be about 3 weeks with constant bleeding and it's terrible. Even when I didn't miss any pills I would have breakthrough bleeding the week before I started my placebo pills and it would drive me nuts. Saw my doctor and i'm going to try out another acne birth control, Yasmin so hopefully all goes well...."

SkyH7291 April 27, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I am currently on the third month of this birth control, and will be ending it after the pack is finished. I originally went on this to clear my chin breakouts, which would not go away. My chin is now clear (with some scarring), but both of my cheeks have been breaking out on and off since I've started this. I would say the trade off for the clear chin is not worth it. I'm not sure if I've gained any weight, but I did experience some mild nausea. My periods were already consistent, and this did not change that. I would not recommend this to someone, unless they have very bad acne, because the initial breakout (which for me has refused to end) is probably much worse than what you are dealing with now."

Lauren K. (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Still cannot get rid of this acne. I took this for a month and my face went from having 2 pimples to a full blown breakout. Acne everywhere. Ruined my skin. I heard it gets worse before it gets better but my skin was already great so this did nothing but ruin it. Now I've been off it for almost a month and my face is slowly healing but these scars are everywhere :(. Don't take this birth control."

Mariyaf April 12, 2016

"Gave me bad acne so don't ever think about it"

Anonymous April 10, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I wrote a review on January 22nd saying that I'll give this pill three more months. Well I didn't even last a full month. I was getting HUGE cystic acne everywhere but my cheeks. It hurt so bad it made me cry. After getting off the pill, which was no problem except a heavy mood swing, I've felt happier. I guess I was feeling depressed on the pill and didn't even recognize it because my life was very stressful at the time of starting it. My acne has gone away except for a few small pimples before my period. I will never go back to this pill. I am not currently on birth control but plan to be back on within the next year."

Anonymouspns (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 4, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my 3rd week on this bc pill! So far I've been quite moody but nothing that has gotten out of control. I've cried for no reason but I'm naturally an emotional person so this doesn't surprise me haha. No weight gain, some headaches and fatigue but nothing intolerable. I had to take Tylenol like 2 or 3 times and every thing was fine. HOWEVER, I am have a mini cystc constellation on one side of my chin :( hoping this will be better and wont happen again. I also got a random cyst on my fore head. I normally only break out on my cheeks."

Moderate Cystic Acne gal March 30, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I never had acne problems just a few hormonal breakouts once a montb. I had taken another type of pill for 6 years before switching to tri cyclen at the suggestion of my dr. This has given me terrible TERRIBLE acne. There has not been one other change in my life with the exception of switching birth control. I'm in my late twenties and I am now suffering with terrible acne. I see that most people have positive results but if you are like me I want you to know you aren't alone and some of us just got a crappy deal here. I have decided to stop taking the pill and see what happens to my skin. I will consider another option going forward."

elly87 March 21, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I went on the pill for my acne and I have to say that for that IT COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER. I used to have horrible cystic acne and it was constant but after starting the pill my face is consistently clear. The downside, CRAZY moodswings. I literally burst into tears for no reason all the time and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression which I never had before I started the pill. I can go from having the best day of my life to not moving from bed for two days in an instant and that scares me so I will be choosing not to take the pill anymore as even though I love having clear skin, I dont want to sacrifice my sanity."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Absolutely do NOT take this. I have never had acne and the second I started taking it my chin exploded into pimples everywhere!! Not to mention how depressed I was and the anxiety it gave me. I also had no libido whatsoever!! Definitely do NOT recommend this is horrible!!"

ttttyyyy March 9, 2016

"My dr told me to take this to regulate my period so I did with in a week I started to break out bad !! Do not take this there really bad for ur face and I asssume body as well"

Pbbunny101 March 8, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Do not ever take this. I'm serious. I strongly advise you not to. My doctor lied to my face and said this wasn't causing my problems but right when I came off poof they went away..I'm telling you I had the worst anxiety and panick attacks continously for days when I got to the fourth month of taking this it literally ran my body and mind down to the ground..worst thing ever..do not take thisss!!!it literally made me feel like I was going insane not to mention the depression and all other side effects with it that I never really noticed till I put the pieces together. to "

megino (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 7, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this pill for 12 months, and I hate it. For the first 6 months I was super moody...I'm actually convinced it ruined my last relationship bc it made me nuts. But sadly I stayed on it because I was desperate for clear skin, and it pretty much gave me that. HOWEVER, beginning seven months, my poor face started to suffer. It's only gotten worse....the only reason now that I've stayed on it is because it's really regulated my period. But my skin is dead...cysts on my forehead (I've never broken out on my forehead), cysts all over my cheeks...jawline...occasionally nose and chin. It's really sad and takes an unfortunate emotional toll. I'm stopping tonight and won't go back on this pill again. Try Velivet, I've heard great things."

Acne Sucks (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 5, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have been on birth control for about 15 years (I dont want kids and can't get permanent birth control because I have never had kids). Anyways...My pills I been taking for years got switched to tri-previfem two months ago and I was told by the pharmacist it was exactly the same as my old pills. The first month my breast swelled so much and hurt so bad...that lasted a few days. I also got really bad cramps..like nothing I have felt before (remind you, I have been on birth control for about 15 years). This month I noticed acne on my chin and cheek...I am 34 years old and never had more than one occasional pimple at a time on my face in my life. I will not be taking this pill any longer...hope this helps anyone looking to try it."

chystarr (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 1, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I'm currently on my first pack of this new BC (took the last light blue pill and gonna start the dark blue ones tomorrow.) As of now my face is exploding with painful acne all over. I almost want to stop treatment right now. I know some ratings say to wait until month 3-6 to actually see any results. I haven't really noticed any major issues expect nausea in the beginning with TriNessa. ~sigh~ I'll continue treatment. Has to get worse before it can get better right? Does anyone have any suggestions for an acne routine to help with this painful explosion?"

Explosion February 27, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "Ok well I just started this less than a week ago and I can't tell if my acne is getting better or worse my periods are definitely lighter and less cramps but I'm breaking out on my cheeks (I've only gotten the occasional pimple on my cheeks). I notice my chin is clearing up a little bit which is good compared to my usual 10 spots on it now I just have 2. Although not only are my cheeks breaking out but my forehead is kinda more bumpy than usual. I'll have to wait a little more and see, I heard it gets better with time."

Lauren D February 17, 2016

Tri-Sprintec (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "This is my second brand I've tried using this form of birth control. Ever since a month or two after I began this, I've severely been breaking out all over my face especially on the jaw line, the chin and forehead. I have struggled with mild acne before this just a few spots here and there, but it has caused me to break out everywhere now and it is extremely bad. I have tried countless things to try and help this from everything over the counter and even prescriptions, topical and oral. I have tried EVERYTHING and it will not go away. It has lengthened my periods from three days to now six and made then heavier and I never use to have cramps now I do. I've experienced fatigue and depression from this. Too many negative side effects for me."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 13, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I used this drug for the sole purpose to control my moderate acne. Side effects: Noticeably more emotional for the first few weeks. After usage of 1 year: My acne has decreased dramatically, but I'm not quite sure if it's because I stopped stressing about my acne, or because I changed my hair products, or because of this drug by itself. My skin started getting clearer around 7 months in to taking this medication. Like I said, I don't know if it was because of this, but I don't want to stop taking it because I'm scared my acne will return back to the way it was. It seems that the longer I've taken it, the clearer my skin has become. :)"

senorababylegs February 11, 2016

Tri-Previfem (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've been on this pill for 5 months before I really started noticing the extreme PMS effects. It worked for acne pretty quickly but approaching months 4-5 I noticed I was getting really upset and angry with those around me the week of my period. I think my body grew to expect the hormones and when I wasn't taking it, I'd get extremely and irrationally angry. Switching to a lower dose pill or just pulling the plug on BC in general because this is really scaring me."

Aggravated (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 3, 2016

"I started Sprintec when I was around 15-16 and am currently 18, I love it! I didn't have any side effects at all and my sister (who is also on it) only got some headaches the first few weeks. My mom actually asked my dermatologist to see if I could go on it and she said that was a good option. Its gotten rid of about 85% of my acne and I'm a lot more confident in my skin. It took me a really long time for the pills to synchronize with my body (around 3-6 months) but now, I know the exact day and around the time I get my period. It's so nice because I plan around it haha! I think I got lucky as i haven't had any side effects. I love it and it worked great for my acne."

msd2456 February 3, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I took ortho tri cyclen for about six months,plenty of time to give it a chance to completely clear my acne but unfortunately that was not the case. My skin always had at least 3 zits. I experienced major spotting almost constantly and only had about 2 months of no blood. I was extremely moody as if I was bipolar and/or always about to get my period.The breakthrough bleeding was so painful. I had to take Tylenol at least once a day.This was my experience but my 23 year old friend loves it and her skin is never better but she does have spotting. I got a 9 month supply of this pill for free "

EMMSTHENAME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

Ortho Tri-Cyclen (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I've had issues with acne since around middle school and have literally tried everything from different topical creams to antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotics were not a safe long term fix so I initially started taking Beyaz and was on that bc for about 4 months. My acne did not improve that significantly so my dermo switched me to Ortho Tricyclen about 3 months ago. I think that you should be aware that your acne will probably get a little worse before it gets better. I had a horrible break out like 2 months in and I got super frustated but now my acne is so much better on my face and chest so I think it's working! I have also been taking spironolactone as well."

Lex2233 January 31, 2016

TriNessa (ethinyl estradiol / norgestimate): "I have no idea what's going on.. I started Triness mid-September and it started to clear up my acne beautifully within 2 months. Best skin I've ever had! Since mid-December until now, however, I've completely regressed, horrible acne on my face and breakouts on my back as well. Has anyone else had the experience of it working, then not? Or any suggestions of whether to switch to Ortho Tri Cyclen instead of the generic?"

Help? (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 26, 2016