User Reviews for Ponstel

Learn more about Ponstel.

Ponstel review summary

7.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 54 medications used in the treatment of Period Pain.

Reviews for Ponstel to treat Period Pain

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

As a 17 year old I have taken these pills sparingly during the beginning of my most painful cycles. Depending on the severity of the pain the medicine can take from 15 minutes to an hour to take effect (the longer time for the more painful cycles). Also severe cramps may still be felt when the medicine is in full swing although it feels like a minor cramp.

June 8, 2012 3:14 PM

I have endometriosis and I have been suffering from serious period pain since I was 11 when I started having my period. I have been on a list of birth control pills that have not worked properly with my body. I asked about Ponstel after I had my surgery and he prescribed it right away. I have pain in between and during my period (so basically all the time) so he said take it as needed. It only takes a few pills and I will feel absolutely wonderful like I'm living on a cloud when it kicks in. I don't think it takes more than 20 minutes for it to start working.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 4, 2012 12:51 PM

About 16 years ago I began having severe vomiting and some abdominal pain with my period. My symptoms were debilitating monthly for 3-5 days and greatly limited my daily activities. I tried over the counter remedies such as Advil, Tylenol, Naproxen and Pamprin none of which did anything to alleviate my symptoms. Then I tried Ponstel. My mother had been taking Ponstel for years for the same problems so we thought it was worth a try. What a difference it made! It took the edge off the pain and totally relieved the vomiting. To be the most effective, it does have to be taken at the onset or just before the onset of symptoms. The only down side to it is that insurance companies don't want to cover it, and it isn't cheap.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 23, 2011 10:02 AM

Review by JandyEMT:

I, too, have experienced such extreme menstrual pain. This has been going on since I was 14 (1979). I actually have a very high pain level tolerance and rarely use any medications for pain, with the exception of my dysmenorrhea. (I didn't even use pain medicines when I had surgery on my elbow to repair tendons on each side and to move my ulnar nerve). I have been taking Ponstel since 1999 and have found it is the ONLY medication so far to relieve my pain during menstruation. I do take it more often than others have listed before me. I am prescribed 2 caps at onset of pain and 1 cap every 5-6 hrs until all symptoms have ended (usually 4 days). Takes 45 mins to work on me. (Also prescribed for my occasional migraines.)

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 30, 2011 5:30 AM

I have had severe menstrual pain since I was 13 yrs old. Nothing has ever worked except when I was on the birth control pill. Doctor put me on Ponstel and it only worked for the first day. On day 2, 3 and 4 of my period it didn't work at all. Doctor is going to keep me on Ponstel and also added Vicodin for the couple of "bad days". We will see if it works. It did work better then Celebrex (faster) that is.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 15, 2010 2:38 PM

My doctor prescribed me Ponstel recently. I suffer from endometriosis, and am in pain 3 weeks a month. I took the first pill, fell asleep shortly afterwards. When I woke up, I had horrible pains shooting through my stomach. I was told to stop taking it, and got prescribed good old Vicodin. I realize I'm in a small percentage of people who have had problems with this medicine, but since the other reviews have been good, I wanted to let people know that it does have side effects.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 31, 2010 11:17 AM

Works very fast (10-15 minutes) and helped where others didn't without the loopy feeling of Vicodin. I only need a few pills a month for those first couple of days when it's bad so just had doctor write what I needed and pick up at pharmacy paying cash price. I used to miss work a lot but now it doesn't even bother me. Love it.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2010 10:09 PM

I found it to be very effective in the first 6 months of use. My period pain would start to subside within the first 15 minutes after taking it and it lasted for about 12 hours. Now it takes at least 1.50 hours for the pain to even start to subside and it only lasts for about 6 hours. It makes me so tired to the point where I have to take a nap and when I get up from my nap I feel extremely tired and "out of sorts". This feeling usually lasts the rest of the day no matter if I take a nap at 11:00 AM or 4:00 PM. So I only take Ponstel now when it is absolutely necessary.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2009 10:02 AM

Review by pmccall:

I've been suffering from severe dysmenohrea (menstrual pain) since I was 14 years old. Every month I experienced nauseating pain from uterine contractions. Over the counter medications never helped me. I used Buscopan for 10 years and it completely stopped working for me. My physician recommended Ponstel (Mefenamic Acid) and ever since I've been walking on clouds. It works wonders and COMPLETELY relieves my pain within 30 minutes. It works all day so I only have to take one pill in the morning. This medication saved me.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 23, 2009 5:42 PM

After many years of severe menstrual cramps and using just about every other NSAID on the market, my doctor prescribed me Ponstel and it was a God-send. It was well worth the extra copay. It was the only NSAID I took, with which I did not have to extra Tylenol with codeine or Vicodin to get relief.

October 9, 2008 11:49 AM

Ponstel was prescribed for severe period pain due to Fibroids and ovarian cysts. It was very effetive and I would definitely reccomend it! But just a cautionary note, this is a costly medication! I had to pay the highest copay on my prescription insurance. Get samples from your Doctor if at all possible!

April 28, 2008 11:24 AM