User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Mania 10 reviews 14 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 3 reviews 28 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 145 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has been very good for me.Like every medication that I have ever took it seems not to work as well after a year or so.I have been Bipolar since 2004 and depressed since 1984."

tdcookie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2012

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Turned me into a zombie and made me gain at least 60 pounds. Lithium completely numbed out my emotions until I could no longer function. I was on it for 3 years and nobody would take me off of it because I have adverse reactions to most mood stabilizers that could replace it and they viewed me having no moods at all as better than having symptomatic Borderline Personality Disorder. I barely have any memories from the time I was on lithium. I was eventually taken off it because it started driving me into rage."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2012

For Mania: "Aside from some of the crummy side effects, bipolar disorder would not and could not be tolerable without lithium. I used to take Depakote alone, now I take lithium and Depakote and can honestly say that keep me even...most of the time."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug has saved two of my very good friends from what I really belive would have been both of their deaths. The 1st friend was an emotional wreck, and the 2nd friend was a suicidal cutter, and BOTH have gotten their lives back and are on the right path with this medication. Both did gain some weight and got some acne, but when you look at the alternative, I think they are both beyond grateful for it all! As am I, so I think if someone you know is like this, please get them to a doctor who knows about bi-polar disorder, and get them onto this medication, it really truly DOES WORK for a lot of folks suffering through their life, when there is NO NEED to! Help them! WE ALL DESERVE TO LIVE A SOMEWHAT "NORMAL" LIFE! "

tamjam (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2012

Eskalith (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for a long time for bipolar 1. Use as part of combination therapy since I can't tolerate doses over 600 mg/day (start shaking, skin numbness). Works very well for treating manic side of things, racing thoughts."

Anonymous July 7, 2012

Lithonate (lithium) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Helped with some impulsive behaviors like fighting or just in general going off on people."

Anonymous April 8, 2012

For : "I have been taking lithium and myopia has been more stable and relaxed after many years of instability through my adolescent years. Now entering into adulthood I realized my condition and now take responsibility in taking lithium which helps a lot."

Kayelle March 29, 2012

Lithonate (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Best medicine I have had for bipolar even though there are long term effects, highly recommended."

Anonymous March 23, 2012

For Mania: "Have been suffering for 14 years with various levels of Mania. I was finally prescribed 300mg Lithium Carbonate for Bi-Polar. Skeptical of yet another wrong diagnosis, I tried 150 mg for 2 weeks. I saw an improvement after the first night. I was able to fall straight asleep and woke up without tremors or intense crazy dreams. YAY! After about the first week, my life started slowing down and I could get nothing done. I stopped taking it and the mania stayed away for about 2 weeks. The Mania has just started coming back."

John at the Falls March 15, 2012

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "So far so awesome. Been on it a week and am not as agitated. Suicidal thoughts are going away."

Shopprincessshop February 28, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug is amazing... There is a reason it has been around for 30+ years"

Anonymous February 25, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "After 17 years of complete toment to my family and myself, Lithium saved my life. Side effects can be tough to live with such as constant dry mouth, 25 lbs of weight gain, acne, and feeling very sluggish. Lithium SAVED MY LIFE!"

Amelias moma February 2, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've tried everything. Lithium is only medicine that works."

Anonymous January 28, 2012

Lithobid (lithium) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Suicidal thoughts and cutting/burning (Self-harming) was almost nonexistent."

Anonymous January 25, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on probably 15 different medications in the 10 years I've been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder. Lithium is the only one where my mood truly feels stable. It allows me to do everyday things without the hassle of fighting myself, my mood and everyone around me. I did get off it a few years ago in a state of Depression, but am now back on it. Every other mood stabilizer I've tried hasn't compared."

Anonymous January 21, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is the best medicine out there for Bi-Polar. I have severe Bi-Polar with Rapid Cycling and have been on every medicine out there. This is the only medicine that has worked. I was always afraid to take it because of weight gain and the tests they have to run to check your lithium levels. I'm glad I decided to give it a try. I had the shaky hands side effect really bad I couldn't even write a sentence. My Doctor then prescribed me propranolol and after one day of taking it I have no more tremors. I take them 4 times a day. Make sure you eat before you take the Lithium. Good luck."

peachy13 November 27, 2011

For Mania: "I've only been on this medicine for one week but the side effects are awful. I can't see straight, I stumbled when I walk, I have horrible tremors and no appetite. I'm only on 300 mg twice a day but I feel so oriented. When will I feel the positive effects?"

B Donn November 6, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've tried almost all of the Bipolar Meds available out there - Geodon, Depakote, Lamictal, Seroquel, Zyprexa, etc. All of these made me stupid and/or fat and were not very effective for my depression. This past year I sunk to a new low of serious depression - I told my PDoc that I need something different because I was a lifeless, delusional, an anxious zombie and was suicidal. His secretary said she would forward the message to him - 3 Times. No reply from him at all - I had to find a new doctor and he put me on 300mg Lithium (went up to 600mg 2 weeks later) - about 1 month into my new treatment, it feels like a switch was flipped. This is the best medicine I've ever had and I hope it continues - not many options left for me."

Anonymous October 30, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder: "As long as I take lithium capsules and NOT the tablets, I have no side effects. Presently on 900 mg a day. Doesn't make me sleepy as I have insomnia. Tablet gave me a salty taste in my mouth. I drink about one more 16.9 oz bottled water than normal. Stabilized my moods tremendously, easy to take. I take with a protein shake, almond milk, applesauce but not on an empty stomach or then it gives me a slight stomach ache."

bipolar becky October 20, 2011

For Cluster Headaches: "I have been suffering from horrible daily chronic cluster/migraine for 30 years with absolutely no relief. My neurologist refused to put me on lithium. According to him it's an out of date medicine that belongs in the past. I have been on lithium for 2 weeks and have had my first headache free period in so many years. I went to my PCP and he gave me lithium. If you are not satisfied with current treatment, I do recommend this for chronic clusters/ migraines. "

Anonymous October 13, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on lithium since 1997. It has been working good for over 14 years."

munewer October 7, 2011

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Changed my life totally and completely. I used to be on a emotional roller coaster...up and down, over and over again. This medicine just brings me to a mellow state. I let nothing get to me anymore. I never get hostile, and that was my norm. I actually think this medicine saved my life because I was so tired of being emotional and angry! This was my last resort. I tried everything else that the doctor wanted me to try and none of that phased me. I recommend this to anyone with bipolar. "

Beepoo October 1, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am 26 years of age now but my mental illness of depression and panic attacks started when I was 15. I was then put on 20 mg Celexa and Klonopin 1 mg. As I got older it was like I could never control my emotions, I was up and down all the time emotionally and could never concentrate on college. So they put me on Adderal 15mg to help my concentration issue...so that was solved. I still was riding the emotion roller coaster though. My doctor recommended a mood stabilizer, Depakote...didn't work for me at all. I dealt with it for a while, but there was no in-between. I eventually had mental breakdown and within the next few months my counselor was talking to me about lithium. I was terrified of it but tried and I am the most stable I have ever been."

Beepoo September 29, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 3 years ago during a hospitalization. Was put on 600mg Seroquel and 200mg Lamictal. Switched doctors and they decided to replace my medicines with lithium. I don't know why but it made my condition 10 times worse and I got very sick. Fever, vomiting, nausea, drowsiness, fatigue, excessive thirst and urination. Plus it makes my mood swings much worse and shortened my patience and turned my depression to rage. Gave uncontrollable twitches and body movements and shaky hands. Though I have been off it for a year. My case is probably an anomaly as it seems to work wonders for everyone else. "

Anonymous September 25, 2011

For Bipolar Disorder: "I LOVE LITHIUM! Was terrified to try it but no side effects. No weight gain as I have not been depressed and staring at the wall in a fetal position unable to move. If I take it, it prevents mania (can tell when I forget) and depression. Drink more water - I try to drink 60 ounces a day and sweat more but no other side effects but I make sure to exercise usually 30 minutes a day. Got bad news that should have thrown me into depression but since on lithium was able to talk normally, work out a solution, and function - THANKS LITHIUM."

Bipolar Becky August 7, 2011