User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Mania 10 reviews 14 medications

7.5
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 129 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lithium

Review by B Donn:

For Mania: I've only been on this medicine for one week but the side effects are awful. I can't see straight, I stumbled when I walk, I have horrible tremors and no appetite. I'm only on 300 mg twice a day but I feel so oriented. When will I feel the positive effects?

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 6, 2011 1:33 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I've tried almost all of the Bipolar Meds available out there - Geodon, Depakote, Lamictal, Seroquel, Zyprexa, etc. All of these made me stupid and/or fat and were not very effective for my depression. This past year I sunk to a new low of serious depression - I told my PDoc that I need something different because I was a lifeless, delusional, an anxious zombie and was suicidal. His secretary said she would forward the message to him - 3 Times. No reply from him at all - I had to find a new doctor and he put me on 300mg Lithium (went up to 600mg 2 weeks later) - about 1 month into my new treatment, it feels like a switch was flipped. This is the best medicine I've ever had and I hope it continues - not many options left for me.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 30, 2011 4:03 PM

Review by bipolar becky:

For Bipolar Disorder: As long as I take lithium capsules and NOT the tablets, I have no side effects. Presently on 900 mg a day. Doesn't make me sleepy as I have insomnia. Tablet gave me a salty taste in my mouth. I drink about one more 16.9 oz bottled water than normal. Stabilized my moods tremendously, easy to take. I take with a protein shake, almond milk, applesauce but not on an empty stomach or then it gives me a slight stomach ache.

October 20, 2011 7:58 PM

For Cluster Headaches: I have been suffering from horrible daily chronic cluster/migraine for 30 years with absolutely no relief. My neurologist refused to put me on lithium. According to him it's an out of date medicine that belongs in the past. I have been on lithium for 2 weeks and have had my first headache free period in so many years. I went to my PCP and he gave me lithium. If you are not satisfied with current treatment, I do recommend this for chronic clusters/ migraines.

October 13, 2011 12:37 PM

Review by munewer:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on lithium since 1997. It has been working good for over 14 years.

October 7, 2011 1:31 PM

Review by Beepoo:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Changed my life totally and completely. I used to be on a emotional roller coaster...up and down, over and over again. This medicine just brings me to a mellow state. I let nothing get to me anymore. I never get hostile, and that was my norm. I actually think this medicine saved my life because I was so tired of being emotional and angry! This was my last resort. I tried everything else that the doctor wanted me to try and none of that phased me. I recommend this to anyone with bipolar.

October 1, 2011 11:36 AM

Review by Beepoo:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am 26 years of age now but my mental illness of depression and panic attacks started when I was 15. I was then put on 20 mg Celexa and Klonopin 1 mg. As I got older it was like I could never control my emotions, I was up and down all the time emotionally and could never concentrate on college. So they put me on Adderal 15mg to help my concentration issue...so that was solved. I still was riding the emotion roller coaster though. My doctor recommended a mood stabilizer, Depakote...didn't work for me at all. I dealt with it for a while, but there was no in-between. I eventually had mental breakdown and within the next few months my counselor was talking to me about lithium. I was terrified of it but tried and I am the most stable I have ever been.

September 29, 2011 6:31 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder about 3 years ago during a hospitalization. Was put on 600mg Seroquel and 200mg Lamictal. Switched doctors and they decided to replace my medicines with lithium. I don't know why but it made my condition 10 times worse and I got very sick. Fever, vomiting, nausea, drowsiness, fatigue, excessive thirst and urination. Plus it makes my mood swings much worse and shortened my patience and turned my depression to rage. Gave uncontrollable twitches and body movements and shaky hands. Though I have been off it for a year. My case is probably an anomaly as it seems to work wonders for everyone else.

September 25, 2011 11:50 AM

Review by Bipolar Becky:

For Bipolar Disorder: I LOVE LITHIUM! Was terrified to try it but no side effects. No weight gain as I have not been depressed and staring at the wall in a fetal position unable to move. If I take it, it prevents mania (can tell when I forget) and depression. Drink more water - I try to drink 60 ounces a day and sweat more but no other side effects but I make sure to exercise usually 30 minutes a day. Got bad news that should have thrown me into depression but since on lithium was able to talk normally, work out a solution, and function - THANKS LITHIUM.

August 7, 2011 12:10 AM

Review by spawndish:

For Cluster Headaches: I suffer from chronic clusters. Lithium has me pain free so compared to the pain I would be suffering I can live with the side effects.

July 6, 2011 4:17 PM

Review by Phyllis Joy:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lithium did well for me for more than 15 years, but then the creatinine levels went up and I had to switch. Eight years later now, I have hyperparathyroid symptoms, at least that is what it looks like. That is a long time after stopping it to see elevated calcium levels, etc. But I have no regrets. The last 30 years have been stable. Depakote keeps me well. Just be aware that this could happen.

June 12, 2011 7:01 PM

Review by DocPc:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have read all the comments and Lithium seems to work. My doctor started me on 450mgs a day for a week and then wants me to take 900mgs a day after a week. In addition to that I take 300mgs of Wellbutrin and occasionally 0.5 mgs of Klonopin.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 12, 2011 5:43 PM

Review by chalkitup:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried everything for my bipolar type II condition. After 4 different mood stabilizers I suggested Lithium to my doctor because I took it at age 17 for a major depression. I seem to have a low tolerance to medications so I started very low. I began with 35 mg of Lithium and recently went up to 75mg (half a pill) and started to have problems. I have hip joint pain. Swollen feet (edema) and hands. Aching flank pain (kidneys??) and it does nothing for my depression symptoms. But the good news is that it sure does keep my brain calmed down. I was having "mixed states" that was probably due to the antidepressant I was on and they have all vanished with the Lithium. I really do like the way it works.

May 31, 2011 11:17 PM

Eskalith (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been bipolar my whole life and nothing has worked better than Lithium. The side effects were quite minimal, feel queasy and difficulty reading because eyes jerk. All went away after approximately 2 to 3 weeks.

May 30, 2011 9:03 PM

For Mania: Good medicine for bipolar and getting your life back.

April 25, 2011 10:44 AM

Review by TnMama:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on this medicine for 2 weeks now. I haven't really noticed a change in moods just yet. I guess because I'm taking Celexa and Elavil too. We're weaning me off Elavil. But I have surely felt the side effects. I've got some slight tremors in my hands, cotton mouth worse than ever, and my heart races at times. But my appetite has decreased since I've been on it. Before adding lithium, Elavil made me feel good, but put 20lbs on me in 2 months. That's why I'm coming off it. I just had my blood drawn to check my salt levels, so we shall see how that turns out. I was diagnosed bipolar in early 2003 and have been off and on just about everything for it. So my new doctor put me on lithium to help me. I'm glad I read about the side effects others have posted.

April 2, 2011 11:26 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine is wonderful. I gave it a 9 only because I can never quench my thirst and it makes me sensitive to bright lights and phone/computer/TV screens after awhile. Otherwise it's amazing. I feel so stable and happy. It's almost eerie. I have been suicidal and a cutter for a long time and it has lifted those desires. I really hope this "magic" lasts.

February 28, 2011 11:32 AM

Review by DeeEee:

Eskalith-CR (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have suffered from depression since I was 8 years old. I finally started going to therapy and taking antidepressants and various other psychotropic medications with no luck. Finally at 39 my internal medicine doctor suggested I try lithium CR 300mg once a day along with a SSRI antidepressant. I am going to be 45 next month and have only been in "the hole" five times. My doctor ups my SSRI during these episodes until I'm stabilized then I go back down when I feel it's safe. Lithium has been a life-saving medicine with minimal side-effects. Thirst and acne are worth it.

February 21, 2011 3:30 AM

Review by soxman:

For Bipolar Disorder: Definitely takes the edge off. Much more stable. Currently taking 600mg. Along with 50mg of Citalopram and 300mg of Bupropion. Have no problem drinking the suggested amount of water. The real side effect I am experiencing is my hands shake, a lot. I cannot hold a cup of coffee or type on a keyboard at times. I know it's the Lithium because I stopped taking it for about a month and the tremors stopped. Once I started up again, so did the tremors.

February 3, 2011 12:51 PM

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Lithium was hard for me to take at first. If I did not eat enough with the medicine I would vomit. The medicine works for me but I do not like the fact that I have gained weight and it causes acne. I have done everything I can to have clear skin but it does not matter what I do. Lithium is cheap and effective but like I said I don't like the side effects. I am going to try Tegretol when I go back to the Doctor.

January 12, 2011 1:11 PM

Review by road2glory:

For Cluster Headaches: My GP thinks the symptoms of what I thought was Parkinson's is in fact side-effects of Lithium. I take 1200 mg of lithium daily. I gave it a low score for the side-effects, the shakes and poor balance. It's very effective in preventing clusters. I took a chance this fall and quit all my medicines. The day after I did this I got slammed by clusters. Clusters are too painful to live with so it's better to live with lithium and its side effects than with the pain of cluster headaches.

December 23, 2010 1:21 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have struggled with bi polar but mostly mania all of my life! About 6 years ago I finally started medication and I tried all of them, I finally was prescribed lithium which has saved my life! Nine months ago I started having seizures, I was having 30 a day and once again I have to thank lithium for being one of the medications that I can take that helps the seizures with the help of other medications as well!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2010 12:07 AM

Review by StarLover:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Lithium for almost 2 years now. It is actually amazing mood wise and it helped me get over my social anxiety. The side effects I've had which technically are not good at all, but are almost worth how I feel are. I had to be put on blood pressure medicines, my hair is sheding a lot more than normal. I have more acne than I used to, and the worst one. I've gained about 25 pounds which for me wasn't good I was already overweight. Oh and I haven't had a period for almost three months now (not pregnant) my doctor thinks Lithium might be to blame. I'm only 25 by the way, so I should still have a period. Besides all of this Lithium was the best thing to ever happen to me.

October 11, 2010 5:00 AM

Review by gc23:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lithium brought me out of a year long rapid-cycling episode that almost destroyed my marriage, my work and my life. I think it's an excellent "first aid" medicine for bipolar disorder. After about 3 months of feeling amazing relief, I felt emotionally flat-lined, so I worked with my doctor and he reduced my lithium dose to 600 mg and added 150 mg of Lamictal, 1.5 mg of clonazepam to soothe anxiety, and finally 20 mg of Adderall to combat persistent mild depression. Work with your doctor to find your perfect combination! I've been on this particular mix for about 2 years. It's great, but I will always keep the lithium in. It's the core of what works for me.

September 22, 2010 4:12 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder about two years ago after years of self medicating and years of unhappiness. My doctor tried me on several different medicines and finally decided I needed a mood stabilizer, Lithium Carbonate. Lithium (900mg/day) has changed my life. I would recommend to anyone that can take it without major side effects. I think this medicine is amazing.

September 1, 2010 1:46 PM