User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Severe Mood Dysregulation 1 reviews 0 medications

Paranoid Disorder 4 reviews 2 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Summary of Risperidone reviews 241 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Risperidone

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "Made me want to try suicide"

wreane May 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Took this for mania in Bipolar Disorder. I can say that it helped with mania, but it did so in a way that was disabling in other parts of my brain. I could not be still with my feet, I always had an urge to move and shuffle my feet. I was always tired and exhausted despite getting 8+ hours of sleep. One side benefit, my nervous habits of picking my fingers, bouncing foot or biting at fingers was totally gone. This drug also caused some insomnia which required me to take another drug to help with sleeping. This is probably the worst drug I have tried in relation to Bipolar."

Manuel231 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 15, 2016

For Anxiety: "I was in the hospital for stress over life situations and a break down. At a weak moment I was givin Risperidone . It only took one tablet and here I am 7 days later with severe dizziness confusion and sound sensitivity . I had no idea this was a anti psycoctic . I only have anxiety and immediately was alarmed . Will this go away !? Or is my brain ruined forever . This drug should be taken off the market ."

Anonymous May 6, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "2mg very effective for psychotic symptoms - delusions and intrusive thoughts. Gained 40 pounds in 3 months. Came off, however, going back on. Hoping Metformin will reduce the weight gain. Would recommend."

Nance34 May 2, 2016

For Anxiety: "My son just started on this med. for anxiety which is causing seizures or the feeling of a seizure coming on causes him to get anxious. First dose at night 1 mg. with in 30 min. he started to slur his words real bad. He was in the hospital at the time so we pointed it out to them. They just told us he had to get use to the risperidone. So he went to sleep. The next morning he was give .5. He became very restless we thought it was from being in the hospital for 4 days. He kept pacing back and forth fidgeting with stuff for hours. Then all of a sudden he started slurring his words and became hard to understand. He told me his tongue was rolling up, and gagging, then his eyes started rolling up. Had to get emergency meds."

Anonymous May 1, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "My experience with this med so far has been good, 2 weeks on 2mg. My anxiety is already way down, and the vivid, intrusive thoughts are not quite as bad. My sleep is also much better. It makes me very relaxed and drowsy about an hour after I take it, and I wake up a bit groggy, but coffee gets me going. No problems with sex which is good. I have also experienced a loss of appetite and have lost some weight (I am overweight so this is good). So yeah, losing weight, still have libido and much better sleep. Wish it could go just as well for everyone. Only side effect is a stuffy nose for a few hours after I take it, but I can handle that. First few days were a bit scary as I felt like I had been given a tranquilizer dart lol."

CakePop (taken for less than 1 month) April 16, 2016

For Anxiety: "Been on 2mg once a day for just over 4 months. Mostly wiped out my anxiety and panic attacks, but does nothing for my waves of agitation and irritability. I was reluctant to try it because of the weight gain. Now I regret it, as I have gained 50 pounds!!! I am the heaviest I've ever been and hate it. My pdoc wanted to raise it at last appointment, or try me on another antipsychotic (I didn't realise how heavier I was at that point). I'm gonna choose the latter option when I next see her. The weight gain on this is worse than quetiapine (which I also came off for the same reason)."

jonnyturak (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Anxiety: "I had been sick first at 2009. İntense anxiety depression and paranoid thoughts was my symptoms. First doctor told me that Iam bipolar. I Took 1mg at night about 9 months with lustral. I get well. But after I quit I was sick again. Again 1mg at night. But since I was not sleeping more than 4 hours I started seroquel too. Everytime I get well I quit. But I got sick again. Now 2016 and I am using 1.5mg more than 1 years. I am more depressed than ever. I dont want to do anything but lay on bed. I think it prevents dopamin too much and I dont want to do anything. I get lazy and afraid of not doing my daily job. May be I will change risperdal."

Benicci March 26, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "I was taking this for 1 year! this drug does miracles!!!! I started with injection 50 mg every 15 days Now I take only 7mg!! I can lift weights again!!!!No depression or anxiety!!! Or paranoia!!!!"

Kostas93 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 25, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "My brother is on this medication, 8mg over 24 hours, he takes 5mg in the morning and 3mg at night. He has been taking risperidone for just over a year now, he was diagnosed with schizofernia January 2015, the doctors have prescribed different doses of this medication, however it is not effective as it first was, this dose was the highest he has been given compared to other doses throughout the year, he has become very depressed, cannot concentrate well, avoid any social interaction, has some delusions and he feels like he has no emotion and his brain is blank.. So in conclusion I think it's time that the doctor changes his medication, because it doesn't seem to be working well."

Moonlight NJ March 23, 2016

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "The first time I took risperidone I became extremely drowsy which made me a bit nervous but the drowsiness went away after the first three days. I also had horrendous nightmares so I switched to taking it in the morning and the nightmares went away. On the positive side my auditory and visual hallucinations completely went away immediately which enabled me to make it to therapy more frequently and sleep more often and slowly over years build up a healthy and stabilizing lifestyle. It also helped with increasing my attention and memory. I noticed some weight gain and slightly lower libido. I have taken it regularly for a couple years and weened off it. I have now been off for two and a half years with almost zero returning symptoms."

Ughughvom March 17, 2016

For Autism: "My 9 year old son, who has autism, was put on risperidone about a year and a half ago after being hospitalized for aggressive and self-harming behavior. It has been very effective with the violent behavior. He is still quite argumentative and has tantrums and meltdowns occasionally but it's much better. The main side effect was weight gain due to his increased appetite. He was always famished! He gained 8-10 pounds in 2 months which is alot for a 7 year old. The Vyvance that he takes for adhd is supposed to suppress his appetite but it wasn't enough to outweigh what the risperidone was doing. After a few months his dr put him on metformin. It did the trick. He lost his added weight. The Vyvance/metformin combo balanced out the risperidone."

Overwhelmed Mom (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 12, 2016

For Autism: "Son is 7 and has Aspergers and ADHD and from 2.5 years of age suffered from terrible tantrums. Also can be highly volatile and aggressive. Has been taking concerta for just over a year. Initially the Ritalin helped to calm him but the aggression remained and the rebound effects were awful as the Ritalin wore off. I refused to give more Ritalin as my boy became underweight and had trouble falling asleep. We have been taking risperadone for only three weeks and a lot of the aggression has gone. He is having better, calmer days at school and appetite is increasing. He still takes a minimum dosage of concerta."

MumOf1 (taken for less than 1 month) March 6, 2016

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Beware of side effects! This medication caused Sexual side effects. Unless you are a Man who doesn't mind not being able to have ejaculation in the bedroom, don't mind growing breasts when you are a Man!, and don't mind gaining weight, DO NOT TAKE THIS MEDICATION."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 21, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "I've been taking this medication for three weeks as an addition to my other antipsychotics. I've always had debilitating anxiety all my life. Nothing has ever made a difference. This medication did. I'm taking .50 mg at night. I feel less motivated during the day, but my anxiety has significantly decreased. I'd like a bit more energy, but it's a welcomed trade off for my anxiety."

Kiki227 February 19, 2016

For Autism: "Our Son is 23 and put on 0.25 micrograms of Risperdal twice a day in September 2005, due to not being able to get a prescription for 0.25. we were splitting the 0.5 tablet in half. this was ok as the prescribed medication had a line in the middle. Our son did seem to be calmer at first. Our son was in a residential home during the week and returned home weekends. After going to collect him a few weeks ago, we were so shocked as he seemed all over the place, getting stuck saying one word, jerky movements of upper limbs. it was heart-breaking. We then noticed the brand of Risperdal had changed and they were a dark red tablet. We then realised this tablet should have never been divided. The GP advised us to stop the medication."

Gingernuts (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 14, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "Was good when the voices were loud as when they are quietened they seem to echo at first. Noticed when taking it though voices did remain very quietly then when you stop taking it they stop completely. But I have done this before and the bliss only lasts a month before they come back full blown."

Raven124234 February 9, 2016

For Depression: "I have been taking risperdal for 7 years now. The worst thing about it is the lack of motivation and the carelessness. I don't feel like waking up because I have no interest in life any more. I wake up when I feel like I have slept too much. I can't work on my projects (I am a web developer) I have no interest in working because I don't feel motivated and I feel tired after I work instead of satisfied. My sex drive has gone down dramatically. The best thing about this drug is that it doesn't make me feel down or sad all the time, in fact, I don't feel anything any more like a zombie, a living dead if you well. Don't take it unless you have to"

Farris The Saint February 3, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Risperidone has been a life saver for me. I went through so many mood stabilizers, but nothing seemed to help with my mood swings. I would also experience horrible side effects from some of these medications. I was about ready to give up when my doctor suggested I try Risperidone. It improved my mood a LOT. I no longer experience those crazy mood swings & I haven't experienced any side effects or tremors either. I highly recommend this medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

For Autism: "LIFECHANGING for our son and our family!"

WilliamsMum (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 25, 2016

Risperdal Consta (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on this 8 months it seems okay took the pyschotic syptoms away but gettting palputations, body temprature issues too hot and too cold, eating a lot more, slowed my metabolism down, insomnia and flu type symptoms. I do feel 80% better than what I did just constant worry about possble side effects"

si1209 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2016

For Schizophrenia: "I am on risperidone for 2,5 years. It seems to be OK for its main purpose - I haven't had any hallucinations since I started it. However I be been leading a very balanced and calm life without any major stresses which seemed to be the main triggers of my psychoepisodes in the past. But! I've gained 25 pounds for two years and I have never been overweight in my life. Plus, over the time I developed a very disturbing hunger that never stops even after I eat lots. I feel full when my stomach is literally full and stretched. But after an hour I feel hungry again. In, addition to that stomach pains not too sure if its caused by excessive eating or a side effect on its own. Other minor side effects are muscle pains, nightmares and memory loss."

Bsdt January 12, 2016

For : "I've been on resperidone for 3 months now and it is by far the worse medication ever invented. Hair loss, weight gain, loss of libido, fever like symptoms, fatigue, dry mouth and generally feeling like a zombie. I cant do anything on these tablets it feels like the life has been sucked dry out of me. No thoughts and psychotic visions which is the only plus side but I feel as though life cant get any worse than this. If given the option do not what ever you do say 'yes' to this drug."

PSYCHOTICMADMAN (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 6, 2016

For Asperger Syndrome: "I took this a couple years back when I had recently been diagnosed. Somewhere down the line, I had complained enough about sleep problems to drive my parents to get a new med for AS - oh, look, high chance of drowsiness. Let's put her on these. Don't remember how effective it was, but I guess it did the job well enough. Stopped because it apparently caused bloating."

Some kid (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 6, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been taking risperidone for about a month now. Haven't had any real bad side afects like a rash or nausea. I do get light headaches and irritability from time to time but the gain is greater with the medication. Been eating right and working out since I've read all the comments about gaining weight on this medicine. So far my weight is steady. I figured control it in the beginning is easier then trying to get it back down."

Chrystal530 January 5, 2016