User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Anxiety 9 reviews 61 medications

Agitation 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Risperidone reviews 188 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Risperidone

For Bipolar Disorder: "Mentally this is great medicine but the weight gain is unbearable. Hoping to change my medicine without a psychotic episode."

Hollymart May 19, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

For Paranoid Disorder: "Takes away Paranoia pretty well. Along with Paroxetine, Clonazepam, and Risperidone I feel way less paranoid. I think Risperidone is the main culprit at eliminating Paranoia."

Jermo102 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on Risperidone, 3 mg's every night, before bedtime, for 8 years. It worked better in the beginning, when I 1st began, with the name brand. However, it still works very well. I have to take it once a day, right before I hop into bed, or else I get Akathisia(Severe inner restlessness, and inner torture). That is the one and only thing I hate about antipsychotics. That and weight gain. All in all, takes away racing, disorganized thoughts, and calms the mind. Works to help emotions too. Good for anxiety. But don't go overboard with the dose. 9/10!"

jermo102 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: "Helped me through paranoia and delusions during psychosis but gave me pretty bad akathisia (inability to stay put )"

Bethas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Good in low doses to maintain....but to use in high doses for mania...not effective....a lot of side effects"

zk (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm amazed at how well this is helping me. I got postpartum anxiety and it was taking over my life I started to feel like I was going nuts and became withdrawn and sick mentally. I've been on this for four days now at a 1/2mg and it's worked wonders I feel like I'm getting my life back already."

Konnie8825 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2014

For Anxiety: "I was given risperidone for anxiety and racing thoughts at night. I started at a low dose and worked my way up to 1.75mg a day(.5 in am and 1.25 at night). it works wonders for racing thoughts which makes my anxiety lower and helps me sleep at night."

Salnt (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "This medicine works amazing for intrusive thoughts and irritability. I feel NORMAL. The weight gain in the only downfall. I use this in addition to my Zoloft and its the perfect combination."

Rylin December 7, 2014

For Asperger Syndrome: "I was put on Risperidone to treat my Asperger's syndrome five years ago while I was on a psych ward. I'm not sure if I'm just a one-off case, but the medication made me REALLY depressed. I couldn't enjoy anything while I was taking it. I had to be given Prozac to balance it out. I also gained a huge amount of weight, which I gradually lost after I stopped taking the medication (without any dietary changes whatsoever). On the bright side, it did bring me out of my shell. I was able to get the help I needed from the nurses. Since then, I haven%u2019t had any problems even after I stopped taking it. The medication was useful in the long run."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2014

For Schizophrenia: "Slowly getting recovered"

sadu (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I have nightmares all night long every night and very angry and annoyed with everybody and everything. I am perfectly fine at times and then will suddenly freak out for no reason. I have only been on risperdone for 5 days now, but have noticed that I am able to sleep soundly at night and the mood swings have stabilized. However, I am feeling very sedated all day and find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I can't seem to sleep enough. My anger issues are also still there, but I am hoping they will subside in time. Unfortunately, my appetite is insatiable! I've already gained 6 pounds!! I'm already a heavy person and am worried I will eventually need to be removed with a fork lift!"

annaleigh24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Made my legs feel like I ran a marathon, And after two weeks on 2 mg it caused lactation. "

Ella999 November 19, 2014

For Autism: "My son is almost 7 and is moderately autistic, bipolar with aggression daily. He has been on Risperdal 0.5mg once daily for two weeks and I'm still having a great deal of problems at home. He hits and throw things! Very destructive! Is his dose not high enough or do I just need to be more patient with the medicine."

Nola erpsamer November 10, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years."

kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2014

For Depression: "I've been of risperidone for about 2-3 years and now I have a prolactinoma. It could be a coincidence -- although I know risperidone is notorious for causing high prolactin. As for any other side effects, I didn't experience any. I'm having a hard time getting off of this medication now that the doctor told me to stop taking it, because I can't sleep without it."

violet33 October 9, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc."

Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Asperger Syndrome: "I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!"

Whatbloodyname September 26, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times."

Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication."

Joejoe78 August 23, 2014

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Wasn't too sedating and did not agitate but I did start lactating before I was even 16."

karmashine (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 13, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts."

cinradd July 25, 2014

For Depression: "I've taken Risperdal for about 6 years to deal with depression and suicidal/self-injurous thoughts. It works very well for this. The only problem is that it does cause very severe weight gain, to the point where if I consume less than 1,400 calories a day I STILL gain weight. I have recently started taking Topamax to offset this, so hopefully this will help. But it does help immensely with problematic thoughts and I notice a huge difference in my state of mind and overall well being when I take Risperdal. Additionally it offers the great benefit of helping me fall asleep, which is great as a long-time insomniac. Overall a great drug, just some problematic side effects."

invisible_creeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2014

For Autism: "My son was put on this mediicne when he was ten, he is autistic and was showing signs of schizophrenia. He was on 1.5mg but now has 1 mg daily. It worked wonders within two weeks. He is now not withdrawn and anxious and back to his happy self. He also doesn't imagine things that didn't happen. He did put on a few kilos when he started the medication but now is tall and slim."

Deb02 July 19, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I finally feel normal! My kids are so glad to have their mom back. After taking so many medicines for depression, I was finally diagnosed as bi-polar ll after I lost my job and was sent to the out patient day center. Best three weeks and my diagnosis led to Lamictal and finally Risperdal, the combination has changed my life. My moods and worry are normal and I don't think people are out to get me anymore. This medicine is great. So thankful, finally."

jjacks408 June 19, 2014