User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Anxiety 10 reviews 60 medications

Agitation 1 reviews 6 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Risperidone reviews 201 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Risperidone

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "I have recently started my 25 yo son with autism Risperdal. He has taken it when he was 13, but due to the combination of anti depressants and no improvement in his violent behaviour we stopped, but he did improve verbally. After he refused to take anti depressants after 9 months of treatment with improvement made, he deteriorated over the next 7 months, We insisted he try Risperdal, immediate improvement, 3 weeks in and he is more verbal and calmer with no more aggression. He is sweet and happier again."

LRS179 (taken for less than 1 month) August 29, 2015

For Anxiety: "Panic disorder took over my life. I had racing thoughts that would keep me up at night, nocturnal panic attacks, derealization and depersonalization, auditory hallucinations, and occasional paranoia. My doc first tried a beta-blocker, then an SSRI, both which did nothing to help me, before starting me on 0.25 mg risperidone. After about two weeks I started to feel a lot calmer. Instead of fearful thoughts sticking with me, they'd just fly out of my mind. After 3 months panic-free, I stopped the med due to side effects of forgetfulness, apathy, and weight gain. My forgetfulness got pretty severe by the end, but it really helped me snap out of the vicious cycle of panic disorder, and I'd take it again short-term if I needed to."

Carmen A (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on this medication 2 mg a day - 1 at day and night. I'm hoping in the next few weeks it will change but I've been tired a lot lately I've only been on this med for 3 days but its making me tired but the anxiety, mania and racing thoughts are gone completely"

gotguts August 26, 2015

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "It has significantly reduced anxiety, panic attacks and flashback symptoms, it has also made it possible for me to try and and work on the causes without being completely overwhelmed all the time. When I first started it, and also when I increased my dosage I slept about 18 hours a day for a week and a half, but after that my sleep went back to normal 8 hours or so, and I stopped feeling exhausted all the time."

anon42 August 5, 2015

For Agitation: "I've been taking it since I was 10 or 11 when I had really bad anger, but after I read some reviews lately of the drug and seen that it does more harm than good I have decided to quit and see what I was like off it. So far I realized it made me super sensitive to light and made the world brighter than it really is. Also now I realize I haven't seen the real world for how many years knowing this makes me sad. Another side affect is suppressed emotions and now that I'm off I'm more happy and can feel emotions more and their not dulled. They made my memory bad like I could barely remember what I did yesterday and it was hazy. Made me lethargic and gave me a monster appetite, btw I found out I don't have anger issues anymore."

Buying gf July 30, 2015

For Tic Disorder: "I have been taking this medication for over a month at the 0.25mg dose, once daily. I have moderate facial tics that become more severe with anxiety, with my eyes, nose, and mouth twitching at least several times a minute. My psychiatrist prescribed me risperidone and I read online that many people suffer weight gain from this medication. I have had no weight gain at all and no change in appetite, most likely due to my low dosage. From the first dose I took I noticed my tics were reduced significantly, and I remember thinking, "this is what it feels like to be normal!". My tics are almost entirely gone and I used to be reminded of my tics every waking second but now half of the time I forget I even have tics. This drug saved my self-esteem."

Yasmin P (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 30, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "Did nothing for me. Just gained alot of weight!"

matiwaaritu (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 17, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I am currently on 6mg of Risperdal and thinking about going up to 8mg. It has helped me control my impulses and stay on the right path. I was diagnosed with schizophrenia without paranoid thoughts. The paranoid thoughts only happen with street drugs. I still hear voices, but I seem to be managing them a lot better now. Both Halodol and Risperdal work extremely well for schizophrenia."

Kody Lee (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2015

For Asperger Syndrome: "I was prescribed this by both my Psychiatrist and Therapist at age 35 for Asperger's Syndrome. It works like shock therapy - you will feel better just so you don't have to take this any more. 0.25 mg (Half of the lowest dose) causes, for me: stomach cramps, headache, dizziness, feeling like my heart was racing, the 'munchies' (I go eat lots of potato chips), falling asleep, then waking up disoriented, and dry mouth. I can't imagine the highest dose. I'd probably die. I had very vivid dreams. However this medicine seemed to cure my irritability and nightmares which is what it was prescribed for. The side effects it causes, however, are worse."

dax006 July 2, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was prescribed risperdal about 6 months ago cause I suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety but am afraid of side affects also the doctor gave me celexa. Plus I suffer with seizures drinking tegretol and many others meds I decided to give it a try for my family sake I had my first pill wishing things will work out just wanted to know Am I on the right track or is there something I should know before I expirience the unknown"

Anonymous June 27, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "It is good for mood stability"

A.samer June 20, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was prescribed risperdal for schizophrenia ages 12-16 around 10 years ago now and it's a huge reason as to how I was able to stay in public school. Other people still noticed I was "different" but it did wonders for both visual and auditory hallucinations, racing thoughts, and paranoia. It never could fully help my delusions though. I gained a bit of weight, but what ultimately led me to no longer take the medication was the zombifying effect it had and how I felt it changed my personality. Might be okay for others though."

BrittanyJ June 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My doctor put me on Risperidone to help control my manias. I am also taking Lamotrigine, Escitalopram, and Lithium to control depression, anxiety and to stabilize moods, respectively. Even with those three medications I was still experiencing a lot of agitation, feelings of too much energy, inability to hold still, pressured speech and racing thoughts, irritability, difficulty sleeping, and feelings of being out of control. Rather than putting me on the daily dose, my doctor has me taking it as needed. Whenever I feel manic symptoms spiralling upward I take 1 - 4 mg depending on what I feel is necessary, and it always works perfectly, calming my manic symptoms within 15 - 60 minutes and helping me sleep. It's a lifesaver."

KitLeighton (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Mentally this is great medicine but the weight gain is unbearable. Hoping to change my medicine without a psychotic episode."

Hollymart May 19, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

For Paranoid Disorder: "Takes away Paranoia pretty well. Along with Paroxetine, Clonazepam, and Risperidone I feel way less paranoid. I think Risperidone is the main culprit at eliminating Paranoia."

Jermo102 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on Risperidone, 3 mg's every night, before bedtime, for 8 years. It worked better in the beginning, when I 1st began, with the name brand. However, it still works very well. I have to take it once a day, right before I hop into bed, or else I get Akathisia(Severe inner restlessness, and inner torture). That is the one and only thing I hate about antipsychotics. That and weight gain. All in all, takes away racing, disorganized thoughts, and calms the mind. Works to help emotions too. Good for anxiety. But don't go overboard with the dose. 9/10!"

jermo102 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: "Helped me through paranoia and delusions during psychosis but gave me pretty bad akathisia (inability to stay put )"

Bethas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Good in low doses to maintain....but to use in high doses for mania...not effective....a lot of side effects"

zk (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm amazed at how well this is helping me. I got postpartum anxiety and it was taking over my life I started to feel like I was going nuts and became withdrawn and sick mentally. I've been on this for four days now at a 1/2mg and it's worked wonders I feel like I'm getting my life back already."

Konnie8825 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2014

For Anxiety: "I was given risperidone for anxiety and racing thoughts at night. I started at a low dose and worked my way up to 1.75mg a day(.5 in am and 1.25 at night). it works wonders for racing thoughts which makes my anxiety lower and helps me sleep at night."

Salnt (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "This medicine works amazing for intrusive thoughts and irritability. I feel NORMAL. The weight gain in the only downfall. I use this in addition to my Zoloft and its the perfect combination."

Rylin December 7, 2014

For Asperger Syndrome: "I was put on Risperidone to treat my Asperger's syndrome five years ago while I was on a psych ward. I'm not sure if I'm just a one-off case, but the medication made me REALLY depressed. I couldn't enjoy anything while I was taking it. I had to be given Prozac to balance it out. I also gained a huge amount of weight, which I gradually lost after I stopped taking the medication (without any dietary changes whatsoever). On the bright side, it did bring me out of my shell. I was able to get the help I needed from the nurses. Since then, I haven%u2019t had any problems even after I stopped taking it. The medication was useful in the long run."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2014

For Schizophrenia: "Slowly getting recovered"

sadu (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I have nightmares all night long every night and very angry and annoyed with everybody and everything. I am perfectly fine at times and then will suddenly freak out for no reason. I have only been on risperdone for 5 days now, but have noticed that I am able to sleep soundly at night and the mood swings have stabilized. However, I am feeling very sedated all day and find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I can't seem to sleep enough. My anger issues are also still there, but I am hoping they will subside in time. Unfortunately, my appetite is insatiable! I've already gained 6 pounds!! I'm already a heavy person and am worried I will eventually need to be removed with a fork lift!"

annaleigh24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2014