User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Anxiety 5 reviews 60 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Risperidone reviews 154 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Risperidone

Review by monicaileana (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

risperidone for Anxiety: I have a seizure disorder though it is caused only from strobe light things such as sun filtering through trees, ceiling fans, etc. So my moods though have been so out of control with anger outbursts and breaking and throwing things that I finally went to a psych Dr. She put me on 0.25mg Risperdal with the plan to work up to 1mg. After only a few days I felt like such a new person! Oh how I miss that feeling, it breaks my heart not to have that back again. I quit after only 3 weeks because I had read that Risperdal can cause seizures and already being at risk for them and having a lowered threshold towards them I just could not get that out of my head and relax with this medicine. If it had not been for that I would be on it still.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 19, 2014 4:09 PM
Review by katydid47 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I was on risperidone for over a year. I suffer from severe manic depressive bipolar disorder with schizoaffective episodes. The medication along with an antidepressant helped with the delusions (visual and auditory). But the weight gain was immense in one year I gained over 60 pounds. I weigh over 300 pounds now and the depression is worse. I have osteoarthritis in both knees that with the weight have been severely debilitating. Preparing meals, doing daily activities are almost impossible. Standing for more than ten minutes is excruciating. I suggest to use caution with the increase in weight this medicine can cause.

February 28, 2014 11:24 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I first went on this medication in March of 2013 and almost a year later, I've had to adjust it 3 times, going up to 4 finally. When I first started, I was sent into a manic like state for several hours, but after about a week, I started to sleep more than I ever did. I usually only got about 3 hours of sleep each and every night, starting from when I was 12 and up until I started Risperidone, which is when I was 18. It has helped with every single thing that was wrong with me, the delusions, hallucinations, dissociation, and homicidal feelings. I would definitely suggest trying this if you haven't yet. It worked wonders with me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 19, 2014 6:47 PM
Review by Zob 726 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

risperidone for Schizophrenia: Paranoia still existed on this medication not very effective for that but calmed my anxiety. I'm on 3mg it makes me a zombie and motivation less.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 2, 2014 8:57 PM
Review by Dkurtz (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: I must have tried at least a dozen different bipolar meds. This is by far the best. Has the least side effects and I am much more clear-headed than others. Love it.

January 16, 2014 1:06 AM
Review by michelle angela: User Rating:

risperidone for Autism: My autistic 15 year old son was extremely violent. I had to take him into the hospital 3 times in a 24 hour period..he was prescribed a few different medicines but none worked, except this one. He is himself, without aggression, irritability. I immediately notice he could wait and concentrate. It is a God send.

December 18, 2013 8:42 PM
Review by cb1120 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

risperidone for Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: i have been on this medication for a year. I have had post traumatic stress disorder for 12 years. This medication has caused significant changes in my daily life living with PTSD. I have been able to go out and shop talk to people etc.

November 24, 2013 8:38 PM
Review by beantree: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: My mother was diagnosed with Alzheimer's several years ago. As the disease progressed so did her paranoia anxiety and sundowners syndrome. She was put on Celexa which only made her sleep all day and have horrific nightmares. The doctor put her on Rispersal and her behaviors changed overnight. She became manageable, and helpful and no more sundowners. Her sleep pattern improved and the night terrors ceased. She has past recently from heart failure but our last year together was much improved

November 4, 2013 10:14 PM
Review by Anonymous 42 yr old F: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I'm talking this after a few antipsychotics didn't work and I was hospitalized a few times for the first time in my life. My bipolar diagnosis changed to Schizoaffective disorder then Schizophrenia. The delusions paranoia was very scary. I was on 2 mg for awhile with Ativan and celexa, and I gained weight over the course of all the medicines, but it needed it, weight gain stopped when I stopped celexa. No paranoia. Now im taking 1 1/2 mg and have less anxiety, on a day I went back to 2 mg I had more. I still have anxiety and will ask my dr to increase my Ativan from 2 back to 3 mg, or lower my risperdal down to 1 mg a I am also on lithium and have hand tremors from that and risperdal, but feel stable it's so worth it. I'm staying on it

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 2, 2013 10:47 AM
Review by TheBMan (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

risperidone for Bipolar Disorder: I find Risperidone(2mg at night) very agreeable and experience no side effects at all. I hve been on many meds for Bipolar and experienced drowsiness and fogginess on most of them but with Risperidone its almost as if I am taking nothing at all. There might be some slight weight gain but I started gaining weight when I was previously on Chlorpromazine so I cant be sure. I am also on 500mg Lithium, half in the morning and half at night. Have been taking resperidone for the past 6 months and I hope it prevents relapse which I have been having almost every two years in the past.

October 22, 2013 2:10 PM
Review by Dad2: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference.

September 26, 2013 3:29 PM
Review by WonderBoy (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

risperidone for Anxiety: Started initially at low 0.5 mg nightly dose and it helped a little. Then went to 1.0 mg and within days felt an amazing sense of calm and peace. They say it is serotonergic at low doses. No side effects. It's a keeper.

September 17, 2013 11:17 PM
Review by steve 8284matt (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication saved my life. Tried several different medicines over 10 years and none have worked better than Risperdal. I take escitalopram as well and have seen fantastic results. If I miss a dose I can tell very quickly within a few days as I don't sleep and feel really agitated and angry at the least little thing. Really helped control my mood swings and this combination has been great for me.

August 27, 2013 3:13 PM
Review by bp2Mom (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

risperidone for Bipolar Disorder: This medication turned out to be awful for my 16 year old daughter who has bipolar 2 with paranoia. She took 1 mg at bedtime for about 5 months and although it helped with extreme agitation, she had to increase dosage to 1.5 mg to keep outbursts under control. After increasing she slowly began gaining weight due to crazy carbohydrate cravings. She didn't want to change any medicines up, so we left it alone. She gained 10 lbs. in about two months and began lactating! She did not tell me about this until she had packed on an additional 10 lbs. in only one month (water?)! She began looking very swollen and puffy. Psych doctor changed her to Latuda and she has lost 9 lbs. in a week.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 31, 2013 6:50 PM
Review by gmura11 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: This has been a miracle for me, it keeps my mind calm and in balance. I had delusions coupled with moderate to severe mood disturbances and this puts me back on the normal spectrum.

July 23, 2013 2:03 PM
Review by in arkansas (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

risperidone for Depression: Very good for depression.

July 7, 2013 9:47 AM
Review by in arkansas: User Rating:

risperidone for Anxiety: It helped my anxiety a lot.

July 7, 2013 9:37 AM
Review by DAMcMillan: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder about 8 months ago and placed on Risperdal after ending up in the hospital due to a nervous breakdown, 6 weeks after my diagnosis. I was prescribed 0.5 mg in the morning and 1.0 mg in the evenings, but I felt like a zombie. It did curb the severe mood swings, and I also gained about 10 pounds in the first month. I didn't like feeling disconnected from the world and not being able to focus or concentrate, so I independently reduced my evening dose to 0.75 mg. I immediately felt better. I'm still struggling with a low sex drive, depression and have a few moments of hypomania (restlessness, agitation, "geeked up"), so now my doctor wants me to go on Depakote 500 mg twice a day instead.

June 27, 2013 8:37 PM
Review by manic_rage (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: It works great at regulating my moods while not making me feel like a zombie.

June 27, 2013 2:48 AM
Review by anote2me12: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Risperdal is my miracle. I put on about 30 pounds in the course of 18 months but that is nothing as to the improvement it has made on my mental well being. Gone are the sleepless nights staring at the ceiling, delusions of grandeur, and being overly worried about life's ups and downs. The psychosis has diminished to the point where I no longer need medication to remain stable. If symptoms ever return, I know this is the medication for me. Also no unpleasant side effects from coming off it.

June 14, 2013 4:20 AM
Review by Skyberg: User Rating:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: I've never had anything that helped my extreme anger and irritability. This has. I've had very minimal side effects. I finally feel "normal" after being on fifteen different medicines over the duration of ten years.

June 10, 2013 6:35 PM
Review by jca0534: User Rating:

risperidone for Schizoaffective Disorder: This medicine has really helped me. I have been on it for a bit over a week and I am already noticing a big difference- the racing thoughts have slowed, my paranoia is a bit more subdued, the auditory hallucinations have calmed, my mood has stabilized, and it has helped in being more sociable. One side effect I had was just dry mouth and possible cholesterol level increases. Not sure about that, but will ask my psychiatrist about such question. I am also taking citalopram for my anxiety and depression.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 10, 2013 1:47 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

risperidone for Autism: My youngest son has taken it for meltdowns for some time now. He sleeps better too. It has caused him to gain some weight. My oldest son was on ADHD medication for years, when he reached puberty it caused many problems. So the Doctor prescribed risperidone for him too, and it has helped him gain so much self control. They are both in high school and doing well.

May 9, 2013 9:26 PM
Review by gigimac (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

risperidone for Depression: After getting used to the medicine, which took a couple of weeks of confusion, I began to realize my problems with 35 years of depression, especially bad in the last five years, went away like magic! My focus also improved. I cannot tell you how good it feels not to go to those deep, dark thoughts, lack of motivation, and an "I don't care" attitude. Being able to stay present in a pleasant world I had missed for so long is a wonder, and I had no idea it treated depression. The only problem I have with it is, it makes the muscles in my legs, both above and below the knees, to hurt quite a bit. If the makers ever go back to tinkering with its chemistry, stopping the pain would be smart, with a super-low start dose recommended.

April 8, 2013 1:44 PM
Review by roozie1 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

risperidone for Anxiety: The best anxiety pill ever, works better then Zoloft and Xanax.

March 15, 2013 6:59 AM