User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Anxiety 9 reviews 61 medications

Agitation 0 reviews 6 medications Not rated - Be the first
Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 2 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Risperidone reviews 193 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Risperidone

For Asperger Syndrome: "I was prescribed this by both my Psychiatrist and Therapist at age 35 for Asperger's Syndrome. It works like shock therapy - you will feel better just so you don't have to take this any more. 0.25 mg (Half of the lowest dose) causes, for me: stomach cramps, headache, dizziness, feeling like my heart was racing, the 'munchies' (I go eat lots of potato chips), falling asleep, then waking up disoriented, and dry mouth. I can't imagine the highest dose. I'd probably die. I had very vivid dreams. However this medicine seemed to cure my irritability and nightmares which is what it was prescribed for. The side effects it causes, however, are worse."

dax006 July 2, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "I was prescribed risperdal about 6 months ago cause I suffer from schizophrenia and anxiety but am afraid of side affects also the doctor gave me celexa. Plus I suffer with seizures drinking tegretol and many others meds I decided to give it a try for my family sake I had my first pill wishing things will work out just wanted to know Am I on the right track or is there something I should know before I expirience the unknown"

Anonymous June 27, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "It is good for mood stability"

A.samer June 20, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizophrenia: "I was prescribed risperdal for schizophrenia ages 12-16 around 10 years ago now and it's a huge reason as to how I was able to stay in public school. Other people still noticed I was "different" but it did wonders for both visual and auditory hallucinations, racing thoughts, and paranoia. It never could fully help my delusions though. I gained a bit of weight, but what ultimately led me to no longer take the medication was the zombifying effect it had and how I felt it changed my personality. Might be okay for others though."

BrittanyJ June 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My doctor put me on Risperidone to help control my manias. I am also taking Lamotrigine, Escitalopram, and Lithium to control depression, anxiety and to stabilize moods, respectively. Even with those three medications I was still experiencing a lot of agitation, feelings of too much energy, inability to hold still, pressured speech and racing thoughts, irritability, difficulty sleeping, and feelings of being out of control. Rather than putting me on the daily dose, my doctor has me taking it as needed. Whenever I feel manic symptoms spiralling upward I take 1 - 4 mg depending on what I feel is necessary, and it always works perfectly, calming my manic symptoms within 15 - 60 minutes and helping me sleep. It's a lifesaver."

KitLeighton (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Mentally this is great medicine but the weight gain is unbearable. Hoping to change my medicine without a psychotic episode."

Hollymart May 19, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

For Paranoid Disorder: "Takes away Paranoia pretty well. Along with Paroxetine, Clonazepam, and Risperidone I feel way less paranoid. I think Risperidone is the main culprit at eliminating Paranoia."

Jermo102 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2015

For Anxiety: "I have been on Risperidone, 3 mg's every night, before bedtime, for 8 years. It worked better in the beginning, when I 1st began, with the name brand. However, it still works very well. I have to take it once a day, right before I hop into bed, or else I get Akathisia(Severe inner restlessness, and inner torture). That is the one and only thing I hate about antipsychotics. That and weight gain. All in all, takes away racing, disorganized thoughts, and calms the mind. Works to help emotions too. Good for anxiety. But don't go overboard with the dose. 9/10!"

jermo102 (taken for 5 to 10 years) March 9, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone) for Mania: "Helped me through paranoia and delusions during psychosis but gave me pretty bad akathisia (inability to stay put )"

Bethas (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Good in low doses to maintain....but to use in high doses for mania...not effective....a lot of side effects"

zk (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

For Anxiety: "I'm amazed at how well this is helping me. I got postpartum anxiety and it was taking over my life I started to feel like I was going nuts and became withdrawn and sick mentally. I've been on this for four days now at a 1/2mg and it's worked wonders I feel like I'm getting my life back already."

Konnie8825 (taken for less than 1 month) December 25, 2014

For Anxiety: "I was given risperidone for anxiety and racing thoughts at night. I started at a low dose and worked my way up to 1.75mg a day(.5 in am and 1.25 at night). it works wonders for racing thoughts which makes my anxiety lower and helps me sleep at night."

Salnt (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 17, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "This medicine works amazing for intrusive thoughts and irritability. I feel NORMAL. The weight gain in the only downfall. I use this in addition to my Zoloft and its the perfect combination."

Rylin December 7, 2014

For Asperger Syndrome: "I was put on Risperidone to treat my Asperger's syndrome five years ago while I was on a psych ward. I'm not sure if I'm just a one-off case, but the medication made me REALLY depressed. I couldn't enjoy anything while I was taking it. I had to be given Prozac to balance it out. I also gained a huge amount of weight, which I gradually lost after I stopped taking the medication (without any dietary changes whatsoever). On the bright side, it did bring me out of my shell. I was able to get the help I needed from the nurses. Since then, I haven%u2019t had any problems even after I stopped taking it. The medication was useful in the long run."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 2, 2014

For Schizophrenia: "Slowly getting recovered"

sadu (taken for 2 to 5 years) November 27, 2014

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: "I was recently diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder. I have nightmares all night long every night and very angry and annoyed with everybody and everything. I am perfectly fine at times and then will suddenly freak out for no reason. I have only been on risperdone for 5 days now, but have noticed that I am able to sleep soundly at night and the mood swings have stabilized. However, I am feeling very sedated all day and find it hard to get out of bed in the morning. I can't seem to sleep enough. My anger issues are also still there, but I am hoping they will subside in time. Unfortunately, my appetite is insatiable! I've already gained 6 pounds!! I'm already a heavy person and am worried I will eventually need to be removed with a fork lift!"

annaleigh24 (taken for less than 1 month) November 26, 2014

For Schizoaffective Disorder: "Made my legs feel like I ran a marathon, And after two weeks on 2 mg it caused lactation. "

Ella999 November 19, 2014

For Autism: "My son is almost 7 and is moderately autistic, bipolar with aggression daily. He has been on Risperdal 0.5mg once daily for two weeks and I'm still having a great deal of problems at home. He hits and throw things! Very destructive! Is his dose not high enough or do I just need to be more patient with the medicine."

Nola erpsamer November 10, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years."

kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2014

For Depression: "I've been of risperidone for about 2-3 years and now I have a prolactinoma. It could be a coincidence -- although I know risperidone is notorious for causing high prolactin. As for any other side effects, I didn't experience any. I'm having a hard time getting off of this medication now that the doctor told me to stop taking it, because I can't sleep without it."

violet33 October 9, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc."

Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Asperger Syndrome: "I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!"

Whatbloodyname September 26, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: "Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times."

Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: "My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication."

Joejoe78 August 23, 2014