User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Anxiety 6 reviews 60 medications

Body Dysmorphic Disorder 0 reviews 5 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Risperidone reviews 178 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Risperidone

Review by Rylin:

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: This medicine works amazing for intrusive thoughts and irritability. I feel NORMAL. The weight gain in the only downfall. I use this in addition to my Zoloft and its the perfect combination.

December 7, 2014 8:16 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Asperger Syndrome: I was put on Risperidone to treat my Asperger's syndrome five years ago while I was on a psych ward. I'm not sure if I'm just a one-off case, but the medication made me REALLY depressed. I couldn't enjoy anything while I was taking it. I had to be given Prozac to balance it out. I also gained a huge amount of weight, which I gradually lost after I stopped taking the medication (without any dietary changes whatsoever). On the bright side, it did bring me out of my shell. I was able to get the help I needed from the nurses. Since then, I haven%u2019t had any problems even after I stopped taking it. The medication was useful in the long run.

December 2, 2014 1:23 PM

Review by sadu (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizophrenia: Slowly getting recovered

November 27, 2014 8:17 PM

Review by Ella999:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Made my legs feel like I ran a marathon, And after two weeks on 2 mg it caused lactation.

November 19, 2014 7:03 AM

Review by Nola erpsamer:

For Autism: My son is almost 7 and is moderately autistic, bipolar with aggression daily. He has been on Risperdal 0.5mg once daily for two weeks and I'm still having a great deal of problems at home. He hits and throw things! Very destructive! Is his dose not high enough or do I just need to be more patient with the medicine.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 10, 2014 5:01 PM

Review by kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month):

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 12:31 AM

Review by violet33:

For Depression: I've been of risperidone for about 2-3 years and now I have a prolactinoma. It could be a coincidence -- although I know risperidone is notorious for causing high prolactin. As for any other side effects, I didn't experience any. I'm having a hard time getting off of this medication now that the doctor told me to stop taking it, because I can't sleep without it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 9, 2014 4:18 PM

Review by Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 1, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Whatbloodyname:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Asperger Syndrome: I was put on this medication as I have suffered from Aspergers Syndrome since I was diagnosed at four years old. This is powerful. At 5mg I felt like a Zombie. I was constantly sleeping because it the effects were strong. It gave me symptoms of Paranoia, for example, I was convinced all the time that I was going to throw up every time I ate. It put me off eating heavy food and as a result I lost weight. Probably one of the worst Anti-Psychotics I have ever taken. Too strong for a 15 year old (at the time) and when I came off it, It gave me Psychotic symptoms. I heard a constant moaning voice for days and it scared the crap out of me. Glad I'm of this medication!

September 26, 2014 10:15 AM

Review by Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month):

Risperdal (risperidone) for Bipolar Disorder: Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times.

August 23, 2014 3:41 PM

Review by Joejoe78:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: My son was on risperidone at 4 years old for aggression associated with Autism. This medication has changed his life. No more aggression and very happy. He is now 8 and doing great. We did attempt to take him off to see if he still needed the medication at age 7 and all his past behaviors, hitting, kicking, swearing, crying came back immediately. With my son we could not miss a dose and has to be given at the same time each day. He is now on 3x per day 0.5 given at school by nurse for afternoons. He has had no major side effects. He is very tall and very skinny. When he first got on the medication he became overweight, we changed his diet to more fruit and protein and the weight came off quickly. Highly recommend this medication.

August 23, 2014 4:48 AM

Review by karmashine (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Borderline Personality Disorder: Wasn't too sedating and did not agitate but I did start lactating before I was even 16.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 9:10 PM

Review by cinradd:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Autism: Caused hyperactivity and cause me to gain weight and develop breasts.

July 25, 2014 3:18 PM

Review by Deb02:

For Autism: My son was put on this mediicne when he was ten, he is autistic and was showing signs of schizophrenia. He was on 1.5mg but now has 1 mg daily. It worked wonders within two weeks. He is now not withdrawn and anxious and back to his happy self. He also doesn't imagine things that didn't happen. He did put on a few kilos when he started the medication but now is tall and slim.

July 19, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by jjacks408:

For Bipolar Disorder: I finally feel normal! My kids are so glad to have their mom back. After taking so many medicines for depression, I was finally diagnosed as bi-polar ll after I lost my job and was sent to the out patient day center. Best three weeks and my diagnosis led to Lamictal and finally Risperdal, the combination has changed my life. My moods and worry are normal and I don't think people are out to get me anymore. This medicine is great. So thankful, finally.

June 19, 2014 8:04 PM

Review by onceasissy:

For Bipolar Disorder: Last week I had gotten to the point where I was screaming at everyone about nothing and I smashed my phone against the wall. I wanted to smash the T.V to bits but was able to restrain myself. The next morning, I wrote a letter to the p doc, who added Risperdal to my other medicines, 1 mg morning, 1 mg night. The next DAY the anger and irritability went away. And it's helped with depression too!

June 17, 2014 8:57 AM

Review by glad i was put on this medicine (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was hospitalized and put on this medicine approximately 2 years ago. I did great on this medicine. I did start the teeth grinding but not severe. I tried to give it up because of that side effect although I only did it while laying down getting ready for sleep and a few times during the day. I didn't get that exercise high anymore since it made me sort of sedated during exercise. I did get hungrier more often and gained about ten pounds but overall this medicine has decreased my anxiety and I hardly ever get panic attacks anymore. I tried other medicines but want to stay on this medicine because even though the side effects of weight gain etc. I love the way it relaxes me at night and helps me to sleep.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by shellyann:

For Autism: It has calming effects that very scary at first. I was not used to a calm child, but it definitely works.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 9:14 PM

Review by Anonymous 87268 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Anxiety: Gives you a calm feeling of peace and tranquility, takes the edge off any anxiety and makes you extremely calm. I love it.

May 20, 2014 8:45 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Autism: I put my 22 yr old autistic son on risperidone 6 months ago and what a transformation.! After yrs of pleading with doctors to put my son on this medication I'm finally relieved hes now on it as he is a completely different person. He used to be extremely violent, throwing, hitting out, biting his arm severely, he was a massive liability, but 6 mths on what a difference, he doesn't do any of these things anymore thanks to risperidone. However, on the downside this medication has caused him to gain weight and makes him tired, he also doesn't show much emotion with activities where things can be an effort for him, seems quite disinterested in things, I would much rather him be how he is now than how he was before he started taking risperidone.

May 18, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by Milestriano (taken for less than 1 month):

For Post Traumatic Stress Disorder: I have found that this medication has few side effects compared to the daily and nightly suffering I have endured since being diagnosed. My panic has decreased, my thoughts are within my control, I have much better sleep and dreams, and my appetite has increased. I had a very low appetite when I was experiencing panic attacks and flashbacks and enjoy that it has giving me an appetite. I make healthy food choices and am very active and have not experienced a lack of motivation or energy. I know it has a half life and feel the only addictive qualities I have experienced would be psychological. I am hoping once I learn my triggers and reprocess the traumatic events that I will be able to eventually manage without it, but for now it is a God send.

May 11, 2014 2:14 AM

Review by mmmm...:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I think that it helps with the schizoaffective disorder they put me on it 2 yrs ago & now I don't hear the louds as much as I did before.

May 6, 2014 8:46 PM

Review by diwwin (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was prescribed risperidone for bipolar. It had the bonus side effect that it cured my lifelong non-stop painful bleeding fingernail biting. It also reduced my anxiety otherwise in the day and at night; I don't get overly excited about little things (good or bad), and I sleep 10 hours without waking every hour as before. I wish I could sleep less though. I am slow, naturally, to get things done, so losing 2-4 hours of awake time makes me noticeably less productive.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 9:13 AM

Review by ThisIsPatrick:

Risperdal (risperidone) for Schizoaffective Disorder: This medication worked wonders for me and I felt quite good on this medication. The problem lies with the side effects. Unbeknownst to me for many months was that it increased my prolactin levels which caused my breasts to grow and menstrual cycle to be off. High prolactin is harmful in the long run and my breasts never returned to their previous size (although maybe some of you ladies would be happy about it. I also gained a few pounds on Risperdal but nothing ridiculous.

April 19, 2014 12:14 AM

Review by monicaileana (taken for less than 1 month):

For Anxiety: I have a seizure disorder though it is caused only from strobe light things such as sun filtering through trees, ceiling fans, etc. So my moods though have been so out of control with anger outbursts and breaking and throwing things that I finally went to a psych Dr. She put me on 0.25mg Risperdal with the plan to work up to 1mg. After only a few days I felt like such a new person! Oh how I miss that feeling, it breaks my heart not to have that back again. I quit after only 3 weeks because I had read that Risperdal can cause seizures and already being at risk for them and having a lowered threshold towards them I just could not get that out of my head and relax with this medicine. If it had not been for that I would be on it still.

March 19, 2014 4:09 PM