User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Rating Summary

6.7/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 85 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Bipolar Disorder

"Risperidone has been a life saver for me. I went through so many mood stabilizers, but nothing seemed to help with my mood swings. I would also experience horrible side effects from some of these medications. I was about ready to give up when my doctor suggested I try Risperidone. It improved my mood a LOT. I no longer experience those crazy mood swings & I haven't experienced any side effects or tremors either. I highly recommend this medication."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 2 to 5 years) February 2, 2016

Risperdal Consta (risperidone): "I've been on this 8 months it seems okay took the pyschotic syptoms away but gettting palputations, body temprature issues too hot and too cold, eating a lot more, slowed my metabolism down, insomnia and flu type symptoms. I do feel 80% better than what I did just constant worry about possble side effects"

si1209 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 16, 2016

"Been taking risperidone for about a month now. Haven't had any real bad side afects like a rash or nausea. I do get light headaches and irritability from time to time but the gain is greater with the medication. Been eating right and working out since I've read all the comments about gaining weight on this medicine. So far my weight is steady. I figured control it in the beginning is easier then trying to get it back down."

Chrystal530 January 5, 2016

"My son was on this drug for years.. he now has tardive diskenesia after being taken off this horrible drug. DO NOT let young children take this drug. My son was given this drug because he was ADHD and was defiant at age 7. this drug fuelled 6 years of aggression, hospitalization, and learning disability. When the medication was stopped, he was in the hospital for a week with seizures . He will always be on meds for tics..and has permanent pupil dialation . Good news is , he has no behavioral issues and is an honor roll student"

t gibson (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 29, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "It's helped my paranoia, delusions, irrational thoughts, and impulses to self-injure and commit suicide more than anything else. Also helps control the hypomania because I'm not on a mood stabilizer. It just also makes me extremely tired and sedated and I'm constantly hungry and have gained a lot of weight on it. I've fluctuated in my dosage from 3 milligrams to as low as 0.5. Currently taking 2 to 2.5 right now."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) December 19, 2015

"I'm still in my trial and error period in trying to find something to help me with my mood swings / bipolar anger management but I have to say by the second pill I've been pretty much bed ridden with severe dizziness, vomiting, vertigo like symptoms I have immediately stopped taking it on my own I've been in the bed 4 days now just waiting till my next appointment hopefully it's just a severe side effect or allergic reaction because I wouldn't recommend this for my worst enemy hopefully no one else has to experience what I have"

mikas (taken for less than 1 month) December 15, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "I have been taking Risperidone for over four years now. I felt great the first year but had to constantly have my dosage increased. I don't like some of the side effects (anxiety, difficulty concentrating, weight gain, faster heart rate, flu-like symptoms) but have learned to deal with them. Once you start to gain weight it is virtually impossible to lose the weight as I have tried everything. It seems you peak at a certain level."

SoP November 19, 2015

"This is my first time taking Risperidone 0.5g for Bipolar Schizoaffective Disorder, and it's my first week. I have always been 100% against medication but it came to the point where I could no longer suffer alone. My mind has now changed about medication. I was concerned with bad side effects, but all I had was a feeling of slight anxiety and heightened senses days 4 and 5 only, but I pushed through and I'm fine. Although it's early days yet, I am very happy! My mind has stopped racing, I am not thinking people are judging or talking behind my back, I feel relaxed, can handle crowds and I'm not angry or have raging irritability, and better sleep. I'll give a new review within a month, but I should have done this sooner."

CherryGirl81 September 22, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "It worked almost immediately ! I had my dosage moved to two tablet twice a day and then back down to one tablet twice a day for every twelve hrs. The only thing Is I have a difficult time with regulating my body temperatures. When I get hot I get REALLY hot and it takes awhile to cool down. When I get cold I get REALLY colds and it gets hard to get warm again and so on. I've had the twitching of the arm and hands as well and I have been nauseous. But really it works ! I just still deal with being hot and cold at times."

Bio (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 19, 2015

"I had mood issues and my doc prescribed me 2mg before bed. After 6 months we have lowered it down to 0.25mg. It did magic from day 1 - it made me sleep again. This has stabilized my life. The 0.25mg seems to be minimum effective dose. 2mg is too much for long term if mood issues were caused by external factors. Even 0.5mg seemed to be too much. I think it's OK drug because it works well in short term for mild bipolar issues (so it can stabilize you in 6 months for next ten years or so). However from other reports I can see that if brain is damaged it may cause additional damage. Anger is not like elevated brain state, it may be symptom of brain damage eg from drinking or other accidends. Using Risperidone in such cases might be very risky."

Anonymous31337 (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 13, 2015

"I have been on this medication 2 mg a day - 1 at day and night. I'm hoping in the next few weeks it will change but I've been tired a lot lately I've only been on this med for 3 days but its making me tired but the anxiety, mania and racing thoughts are gone completely"

gotguts August 26, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "It is good for mood stability"

A.samer June 20, 2015

"My doctor put me on Risperidone to help control my manias. I am also taking Lamotrigine, Escitalopram, and Lithium to control depression, anxiety and to stabilize moods, respectively. Even with those three medications I was still experiencing a lot of agitation, feelings of too much energy, inability to hold still, pressured speech and racing thoughts, irritability, difficulty sleeping, and feelings of being out of control. Rather than putting me on the daily dose, my doctor has me taking it as needed. Whenever I feel manic symptoms spiralling upward I take 1 - 4 mg depending on what I feel is necessary, and it always works perfectly, calming my manic symptoms within 15 - 60 minutes and helping me sleep. It's a lifesaver."

KitLeighton (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 7, 2015

"Mentally this is great medicine but the weight gain is unbearable. Hoping to change my medicine without a psychotic episode."

Hollymart May 19, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "This has to be the best medication (at least for me) for bipolar disorder, paranoia and anxiety. I have had bipolar episodes since my teens, now in my 30s and every time I have a bipolar episode, this medication almost works instantly, and what I mean by works instantly is snaps me out of my mania and unwanted thoughts quickly. It does take a few weeks to work fully but if you are someone who suffers from bad mania, this is the right medication for you. Luckily, I did not experience bad side effects from this medication. I have had some muscle stiffness in my neck, some twitching and muscle spasms and slight weight gain. Also, my menstrual cycle was thrown off. Also, it helped my somatic symptoms and I was able to live my life again A+++med"

somaticbipolaranxiety March 20, 2015

"Good in low doses to maintain....but to use in high doses for mania...not effective....a lot of side effects"

zk (taken for less than 1 month) January 23, 2015

Risperdal (risperidone): "I've been taking it for 2 weeks and I love it. Best thing I've taken. I feel more level and energetic than I have in years."

kayaksummer (taken for less than 1 month) October 18, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone): "Made me "flat" and apathetic to everything. Also caused hyperprolactinemia leading to leaking breasts. Also caused me to gain 35 pounds over several months. Only marginally effective at treating the racing thoughts, etc."

Scorpionis (taken for 6 months to 1 year) October 1, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone): "Only been taking it for a week, but have noticed my mood stabilize. Experiencing, some of the side effects listed like muscle spasms, back pain, blurred vision, and difficulty moving my eyes at times."

Avantisis (taken for less than 1 month) August 23, 2014

"I finally feel normal! My kids are so glad to have their mom back. After taking so many medicines for depression, I was finally diagnosed as bi-polar ll after I lost my job and was sent to the out patient day center. Best three weeks and my diagnosis led to Lamictal and finally Risperdal, the combination has changed my life. My moods and worry are normal and I don't think people are out to get me anymore. This medicine is great. So thankful, finally."

jjacks408 June 19, 2014

"Last week I had gotten to the point where I was screaming at everyone about nothing and I smashed my phone against the wall. I wanted to smash the T.V to bits but was able to restrain myself. The next morning, I wrote a letter to the p doc, who added Risperdal to my other medicines, 1 mg morning, 1 mg night. The next DAY the anger and irritability went away. And it's helped with depression too!"

onceasissy June 17, 2014

"I was hospitalized and put on this medicine approximately 2 years ago. I did great on this medicine. I did start the teeth grinding but not severe. I tried to give it up because of that side effect although I only did it while laying down getting ready for sleep and a few times during the day. I didn't get that exercise high anymore since it made me sort of sedated during exercise. I did get hungrier more often and gained about ten pounds but overall this medicine has decreased my anxiety and I hardly ever get panic attacks anymore. I tried other medicines but want to stay on this medicine because even though the side effects of weight gain etc. I love the way it relaxes me at night and helps me to sleep."

glad i was put on this medicine (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 1, 2014

"I was prescribed risperidone for bipolar. It had the bonus side effect that it cured my lifelong non-stop painful bleeding fingernail biting. It also reduced my anxiety otherwise in the day and at night; I don't get overly excited about little things (good or bad), and I sleep 10 hours without waking every hour as before. I wish I could sleep less though. I am slow, naturally, to get things done, so losing 2-4 hours of awake time makes me noticeably less productive."

diwwin (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 1, 2014

Risperdal (risperidone): "I must have tried at least a dozen different bipolar meds. This is by far the best. Has the least side effects and I am much more clear-headed than others. Love it."

Dkurtz (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2014

"I find Risperidone(2mg at night) very agreeable and experience no side effects at all. I hve been on many meds for Bipolar and experienced drowsiness and fogginess on most of them but with Risperidone its almost as if I am taking nothing at all. There might be some slight weight gain but I started gaining weight when I was previously on Chlorpromazine so I cant be sure. I am also on 500mg Lithium, half in the morning and half at night. Have been taking resperidone for the past 6 months and I hope it prevents relapse which I have been having almost every two years in the past."

TheBMan (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 22, 2013