User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 136 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Depression

"I've been of risperidone for about 2-3 years and now I have a prolactinoma. It could be a coincidence -- although I know risperidone is notorious for causing high prolactin. As for any other side effects, I didn't experience any. I'm having a hard time getting off of this medication now that the doctor told me to stop taking it, because I can't sleep without it."

violet33 October 9, 2014

"I've taken Risperdal for about 6 years to deal with depression and suicidal/self-injurous thoughts. It works very well for this. The only problem is that it does cause very severe weight gain, to the point where if I consume less than 1,400 calories a day I STILL gain weight. I have recently started taking Topamax to offset this, so hopefully this will help. But it does help immensely with problematic thoughts and I notice a huge difference in my state of mind and overall well being when I take Risperdal. Additionally it offers the great benefit of helping me fall asleep, which is great as a long-time insomniac. Overall a great drug, just some problematic side effects."

invisible_creeper (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 21, 2014

"Very good for depression."

in arkansas (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 7, 2013

"After getting used to the medicine, which took a couple of weeks of confusion, I began to realize my problems with 35 years of depression, especially bad in the last five years, went away like magic! My focus also improved. I cannot tell you how good it feels not to go to those deep, dark thoughts, lack of motivation, and an "I don't care" attitude. Being able to stay present in a pleasant world I had missed for so long is a wonder, and I had no idea it treated depression. The only problem I have with it is, it makes the muscles in my legs, both above and below the knees, to hurt quite a bit. If the makers ever go back to tinkering with its chemistry, stopping the pain would be smart, with a super-low start dose recommended."

gigimac (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 8, 2013

"I use this medicine for self-harming thoughts. I take 1.5 mg and it does help a lot. My self-harming thoughts have less power and "stick" less when I'm taking this medication. However, I have gained a lot of weight. I eat pretty healthily, exercise 2 to 3 times per week, and I'm only 17, but I've gone from 130 pounds to 180 pounds after taking this medicine for 3 and a half years. Another side effect is very vivid dreams that occur every night, but this isn't a problem. I also stopped getting my period for about a year and a half; however, that could have been due to self-starvation, since it has come back now (the medication is also lower than it has been)."

Valenciana January 10, 2012

Risperdal (risperidone): "I take 50 mg of Trazodone and 1 mg of Risperdal for my racing thoughts and 40 mg of Celexa for my depression all at bedtime and the Risperdal is good. I get really hungry from it though. I always snack now before I get to sleep. Besides the hunger I like this in addition to my other medicines. Before I would have racing thoughts that kept me from sleeping and now I don't have as many which is great!"

Anonymous November 10, 2011

Risperdal (risperidone): "I was on 1mg of risperdone at night for psychotic symptoms from my depression. It didn't help with the voices, although it did make me feel calmer about things. It's apparently meant to be sedating although I didn't find this. Side effects I experienced were increased prolactin (normal is anything below 500 and mine was 16,000!) so I've had to discontinue it due to high levels of prolactin, and it also upset my stomach!"

bebsxo August 20, 2010

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone): "At one mg, it completely removed all signs of depression and the side effects and feelings of lack of control associated with the depression. Although similar to moving into a new house, it was easy to get used to it and greatly simplified daily routine for the most part. Does not help with PMS associated lack of concentration but enhances concentration overall at this low dosage and makes it easy to focus on relationship problems also, although no drug can change the other person. "

Anonymous March 1, 2010

Risperdal (risperidone): "This medication kept me calm and gave me a good night sleep. I woke up early in the morning with energy and looking forward to starting the day. However, none of this means anything to me since it cause me to go from 145 pounds to 210 pounds. "

Sheeluvsu January 17, 2010

"Feeling much better but have a hard time sleeping. I can let things go easier now."

Anonymous January 11, 2010

Risperdal (risperidone): "Started this medicine at 45 yrs and have gained 35lbs in three years without any change in diet or exercise. Take 4mg day and this is the only medicine I take. Find that this medicine will cause psychotic episodes if taken with more than a 6-8 beers or half bottle of spirits. Next day I can't remember what I said or was doing and this is not good. If you like to consume alcohol beware of this drug as it will turn you into a zombie who does not remember later what you did or said, very scary. Haloperidol was once prescribed for a couple of days and I experienced double vision and extreme paranoia as well as chest pains."

Anonymous November 22, 2009

Risperdal (risperidone): "I use it with my anti-depressant and it works great. I noticed a difference from the first day I took it. Lowers my suspiciousness and keeps me level throughout the day."

Anonymous October 19, 2009

"I have only taken it for three days but noticed that the first two days I experienced intense dreams."

Anonymous July 16, 2009

Risperdal (risperidone): "Take 1.0 mg to help augment my anti-depressant. It helps my paranoia and my racing thoughts and helps me be calm. I love this drug. Recommend to anyone whose anti-depressant alone does not work."

Anonymous January 30, 2009

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Depression