User Reviews for Risperidone

Also known as: Risperdal, Risperdal Consta, Risperdal M-Tab

Learn more about Risperidone.

Risperidone review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 11 medications used in the treatment of Autism.

Reviews for Risperidone to treat Autism

Review by Deb02:

My son was put on this mediicne when he was ten, he is autistic and was showing signs of schizophrenia. He was on 1.5mg but now has 1 mg daily. It worked wonders within two weeks. He is now not withdrawn and anxious and back to his happy self. He also doesn't imagine things that didn't happen. He did put on a few kilos when he started the medication but now is tall and slim.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 19, 2014 7:53 AM

Review by shellyann:

It has calming effects that very scary at first. I was not used to a calm child, but it definitely works.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 28, 2014 9:14 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I put my 22 yr old autistic son on risperidone 6 months ago and what a transformation.! After yrs of pleading with doctors to put my son on this medication I'm finally relieved hes now on it as he is a completely different person. He used to be extremely violent, throwing, hitting out, biting his arm severely, he was a massive liability, but 6 mths on what a difference, he doesn't do any of these things anymore thanks to risperidone. However, on the downside this medication has caused him to gain weight and makes him tired, he also doesn't show much emotion with activities where things can be an effort for him, seems quite disinterested in things, I would much rather him be how he is now than how he was before he started taking risperidone.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 18, 2014 4:46 PM

Review by michelle angela:

My autistic 15 year old son was extremely violent. I had to take him into the hospital 3 times in a 24 hour period..he was prescribed a few different medicines but none worked, except this one. He is himself, without aggression, irritability. I immediately notice he could wait and concentrate. It is a God send.

December 18, 2013 8:42 PM

Review by Dad2:

Risperdal (risperidone): My 4 year old takes 0.5mg dissolvable tablets twice a day. It has helped a little with sleep, but more with aggression. The pharmacy changed it to a off name brand, he's aggression got 3 times worse. He's doctor switched it to name brand and he was back to normal. I was told that this is common with some off brands. We can't believe there's that big a difference.

September 26, 2013 3:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years):

My youngest son has taken it for meltdowns for some time now. He sleeps better too. It has caused him to gain some weight. My oldest son was on ADHD medication for years, when he reached puberty it caused many problems. So the Doctor prescribed risperidone for him too, and it has helped him gain so much self control. They are both in high school and doing well.

May 9, 2013 9:26 PM

Review by BrittC (taken for less than 1 month):

Risperdal (risperidone): My son is almost 4 he is autistic and his violent rage got completely out of control his pediatrician perscribed Risperidone for him about a week ago and so far the results have been mind blowing. He is on 1mL once daily he has had minimal side effects (tremors, fatigue) however the aggression, outbursts, meltdowns and violence has ceased completely. He is also non-verbal and I do not know if this medicine is a contributing factor but in the last week alone my son has started repeating words and even sang his ABC's out of no where. This has been a God send for us!

75 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2013 11:31 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

My son has high functioning autism, obsessive compulsive disorder, aggression disorder, and sensory issues. He was diagnosed at age 3. He started Risperidone soon after his diagnosis. It worked wonders for 6 months or so. His behaviors and meltdowns were better but it did not help with the OCD. After 3 months we had to increase the dose and his symptoms started to get worse gradually. Then at 6 months he started to tell us he had ants crawling on him and his heart was beeping. He went through heart tests and they were fine. The doctor said that the medicine was causing him to see things and maybe have anxiety to have rapid heart rate. He was taken off and put on Prozac which didn't help and now he's on Zoloft and Abilify which aren't doing anything.

November 17, 2012 11:35 AM

Risperdal (risperidone): My son was put on Risperidone when he was three and half years old. It has helped him some, but he was is still extremely aggressive and would take off running out into road and parking lots. So, his psychiatrist said he had to put in psych. ward to try new medicine. They upped his risperidone to 0.50mg twice a day and added Depakene 205mg. twice a day. He's still very aggressive and out of control and moody. He's only 5 and in 12 more inches he's going to be as tall as me.

September 27, 2012 11:47 AM

Review by letty.in.tx:

This has been the only medication that decreased my daughters aggression. She is a changed person, better able to focus and learn. She is also able to sleep at night. I do have to monitor her blood every few months. Her prolactin level is so high now she lactates. Always thirsty and hungry. Over heats easily and has dystonic reaction of eyes rolling back. The benefits still outweigh the risks at this point.

March 26, 2012 1:23 AM

Review by Smurphette:

Risperdal (risperidone): My daughter has been on this for several years (started at 0.25mg, worked up to 0.5mg 2x a day) to help with mood/emotion, and to help her move past things when she gets emotionally "stuck" and there were times when I thought it wasn't really doing much. Then I couldn't get it refilled for a couple days, so she didn't have any before school. They noticed something was different. They called me to ask if there had been a medicine change. Sometimes, you think it isn't working, but at home, things are different than at school. No weight issues: 5', 98lbs.

September 20, 2011 10:16 PM

Risperdal (risperidone): My son became aggressive when he hit puberty (age 11), so the psychiatrist put him on this. For the first 2 months I was happy with the results. But his aggression started increasing, and he became extremely aggressive over the next year. His psychiatrist attributed it to rising male hormones and kept increasing the dosage, until my son was on 8 mg/day. I finally had to have my son hospitalized, as he was a danger to me and others. I was fed up, so I changed psychiatrists. She prescribed Abilify, but it took weeks to wean my son off the Risperdal. However, once he was off it, he became the lovely boy he used to be. Every child is different, so keep that in mind!

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 29, 2011 2:37 AM

Review by 1tiredmom:

Risperdal (risperidone): This medication was given to my son by a ARNP who swears by it. My son cries for no reason, does not help him sleep but makes him eat like a bear, and he is argumentative about everything whenever he takes this. He needs help sleeping but there has got to be something else more effective for him with less side effects.

April 4, 2011 8:31 AM

Review by Has greatly helped:

My son is four years old and was put on risperidone. His behavior is so much better. We're not having anymore violence, screaming, biting, hitting, kicking, and throwing things. In general, he is more compliant when asked to do something, like get dressed. I might add that he has started doing this weird thing, and it has to be associated with the medication because it started at exactly the same time. He takes an excessive amount of baths. He can go about 15 minutes in between each one. He is up to about 40 baths a day. He doesn't wash, he just likes the feeling of being wet. We can definitely handle it though. It's a lot better than the violence that we were experiencing. It's just a weird side effect.

January 31, 2011 2:55 PM

Risperdal (risperidone): My son was put on 0.25mg when he was just 4 years old. It has helped him but he is weighing 72lbs (now 7 years old) and his sugar is up. Now we are on the hunt for a replacement. At least it helped us for 3 years. My son has PDD.

June 21, 2010 8:23 PM

Risperdal M-Tab (risperidone): My son is who is 8 has been on this for over 2 years now. After he started taking it his SEVERE behaviors decreased significantly. He was able to sleep through the night and stopped having CONSTANT tantrums. He still occasionally bangs his head, bite, pinch, kick and scratch himself and others but not nearly as often. The only negative things I can think of is the danger of the medication itself. But for me the benefits definitely outweigh the risks... For now anyway

May 2, 2010 7:46 PM

Risperdal (risperidone): Helped with the behaviors, but the side effects were swollen throat, heavy feeling in limbs, facial tics, hearing voices. Be careful and monitor your child closely if your child is on this medication.

March 5, 2010 8:46 AM

Review by Adaddy:

Risperdal (risperidone): My son took this drug for a few years and I was told he would have "mild" weight gain. 40 pounds later we had to take him off of it because the weight gain was compromising his overall health. I can't really say I noticed a big difference while on it anyway.

January 6, 2010 1:18 PM

Risperdal (risperidone): My high functioning autistic son was placed on this medication to help control his anger and aggression. Instead it has made him worse. The only positive effect of this medication is that it helps him sleep past 5am. His anger and aggression and impulsiveness are just out of control. He was then put on Vyvanse to help with ADHD and there are no changes worth noting.

November 11, 2009 11:15 PM

Risperdal (risperidone): I found out a yr ago, that my high functioning autism son had Asperger. He was put on Ripserdal. After about 10 months I found out the doctor should have been doing blood work to test his porlactin level. His levels should have been between 2.8 and 5.8. His was 55.9. His doctor told me this was okay and not to worry till it got up to 1000 or higher. We tried other medications but nothing seem to help like the Risperdal. So he is back on the Risperdal. It does not have the same effect in girls that it does boys.

October 23, 2009 12:01 AM

Risperdal (risperidone): My son has high functioning autism and the doctor prescribed this medication for outburst and agitation. It did the exact opposite. He became more aggressive and physically abusive to the point he could no longer go to school and learn anything else. It took time to gradually take him off the medication and once we did he was so much better. An ADHD medication worked much better.

July 19, 2009 6:26 PM

My 9 year old son was put on a low dosage (0.25mg twice daily) to try and help aggression. He has been diagnosed with Aspergers. Unfortunatly he was sensitive to the drug and had a bad dystonic reaction. Hands went into spasms with Parkinsons type symptoms.

March 25, 2009 7:21 AM

Risperdal (risperidone): My son was recently perscribed this medicine. It has had a positive effect on his behavioural problems. It seems to have given him clarity.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 19, 2008 5:59 AM

My 5 yr old daughter is taking this with great success. Has helped wonder with her mood swings and rages.

April 29, 2008 7:13 PM

Review by Schmitty:

Risperdal (risperidone): This drug changed my life. It turned down my emotions just enough (I'm on .5mg) that I could actually function in normal society. Thanks to it, I am now in college (when I was diagnosed at 16 I was failing half my courses) and doing phenomenally well. I can't say this will work for everyone, but I must say it's exactly what I needed. Thank you Janssen Pharmaceutical, you have given me a future.

97 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 24, 2008 1:25 AM