User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Mania 10 reviews 14 medications

Schizoaffective Disorder 3 reviews 28 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 153 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "My only two complaints about lithium are the potentially detrimental effects on the kidneys and the nausea. I first started taking lithium in college but stopped because of excessive nausea and vomiting. Five years later, I'm trying it again because the other mood stabilizers I have tried were not too helpful (abilify "numbed" me, zyprexa turned me into an angry bear, seroquel made me sleep all the time, depakote gave me bad tremors, etc). I do have to adjust my lifestyle habits though while on lithium...more water, less sodium or acidity in foods, take it nightly...but vomiting/intense nausea and renal problems down the road..."

Anonymity88889 July 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "35 years old, just been diagnosed "Bipolar 1" 3 days ago, taking 1-3 tabs Lithium a day for starters combined with 150 mg Wellbutrin. Amount is at my discretion? Not a good idea for a substance abuser, so my poor lovely wife doles out all meds for me. My Father, brother, sister all have Bipolar 1, I've been denying it for quite a while but recently the highs have been too great, and the lows equally opposite, scheming a way to off myself so my wife gets life insurance. This is all about 10 years over due if it works, I'm pessimistic. Day 4 though, have to say I felt pretty good considering last night I was about to call Oakland PD to come to my day job and save me from jumping, not joking. I hope this works, any feedback?"

Running mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm 46 and suffer from serious bipolar 1 with PTSD from a 25 year old military accident where a live missile fell off an F-4 and smashed my left foot. Many nights spent laying awake wishing it had exploded. First took lithium back in 1999 and found that it helped, but it was also dulling the positive receptors as well. It would upset my stomach and dehydrate me terribly. After going on and off of it for years, I recently had a nurse practitioner switch me to the lithium carbonate ER (extended release). I now take the whole dose before bed and don't have the upset stomach anymore. Still thirsty and on the numb side.... but functioning better."

JahBird (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication literally saved my life. It kicked in in about a week and has increasingly gotten better since then. Lithium keeps you from feeling the intense overly emotional highs and keeps away the suicidal/hopeless lows. I tried going off of it for a week because I thought I didnt need it, and found myself crying nightly/ getting overly emotional."

Clare_anne July 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar type I in 2008. I sort of knew that I was bipolar, and I also heard that lithium was a terrible drug (thanks to the teachings of a very misinformed individual). I tried 3 mood stabilizers over the past 7 years. Each of the mood stabilizers was an anti seizure med. Finally, I had to go on lithium. Within one week, I felt better than I had ever felt before. I suffered from horrible irritability all this time. My irritability is now gone. My own son said that I am lot nicer now. Hearing my son say that made this switch very worth while."

MSHI2018 July 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed bipolar 2 although my hypomania would get quite extreme and I think I was headed for mania with the last bout. Took away suicidal thoughts almost entirely. Puts you in a kind of haze, but a very functional haze, not a 'zombie' feeling; It's good for paranoia too. And the best thing is you still have highs and lows they are just less intense! YAY not over medicated. So far have noticed thinning hair and minor scalp pain but when it comes to mood I am STABLE. Taking with Seroquel also but only 100mg as I'm weaning off the seroquel. Maybe the seroquel in addition is causing the side effects, unsure. I do feel that lithium is effecting my skin and hair though. Lowers sex drive but doesn't get rid of it entirely."

22 male (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am 16 years old. I have been to over 20 in and outpaient mental health hospitals, including residential. I had severe depression, severe anxiety, and the last year before I was diagnosed, extreme anger. I was suicidal, homicidal, I self harmed, I had an eating disorder, I dealt with death, abuse, bullying, everything. I attempted suicide four times. I barely made it each time. I had all the symptoms. low self-esteem, self harm, eating disorders, isolation, mania, the suicidal/homicidal thoughts, I was trying to use drugs, I skipped school, I tried to kill people, I had insomnia. I finally, after two years, found this miracle little pill. "

sara alexander (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on lithium for 14 years. I take 2100 mg a day and almost all of my suicidal obsessions have gone away. It controls most of my mania but only puts a small dent in the depression. If I miss a dose I will start into mania, so don't miss doses. The only side effect I have is tremor. I take 3 other psych meds and have always been amazed how clear headed I usually am on lithium."

Anonymous (taken for 10 years or more) May 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been diagnosed since 15, am 35 now. Went through copius medicines, being the medicinal guinea pig made me not want to deal with the mental health problems i faced. Years unmedicated, and the destruction got to me. Two years ago I slipped into the depression, I tried going back in meds. All made me sick, or flat, dizzy or angry. Last Dr said lithium, at first I was scared, I heard a lot of bad things. Ok, life was sooo bad, suicidal ideations were running me, so decided to try it at 300Mg 3x a day. I started Tuesday, its only Friday, and my thought are clear, and I feel the best I have felt in years. Any other medicine takes weeks to work. This Is amazing!!!! It won't work for everyone. But for those of us it does, it us literally a life saver."

BP and coping (taken for less than 1 month) May 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am writing mostly because after having so many people tell me their horror stories about Lithium I was looking for something positive and found this site. I was prescribed Lithium after my first manic episode and it has helped to level me out. I was also on Olanzapene which I blame for the 20lbs I gained (being in the hospital for a month and then snacking obsessively and not excercising didn't help). My thoughts of suicide are a lot less for the first time in a long time and I feel generally more stable than I did even on Effexor which I was on for years."

bipolark (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Ive read many times how Lithium has effected people with its side effects. Me, also. My specialist change me to QUILONUM SR. It is a slow release Lithium and 100 times better. No upset stomach, no thirst cravings. Still same rules, eg don't be in the sun, don't over do any exercise or perspiring. Its still Lithium salts, same precautions. But I am back onto a normal Lithium as my dose changed, and the SR can't be cut in half. The standard Lithium is playing around with my stomach, yes, I'm thirster BUT I eat more. I eat sweet things on it. I'm on both SR and Standard."

Eliza_nsw April 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been taking Lithium for two years now for my bipolar- depression. It's good for stability but I don't feel like myself. I never cry, never smile, and I'm not as outgoing as I was. I feel like a machine. I can't drink. I always have to be tied down to my pill bottle. Next year I'm going to college, I feel so much older with this responsibility. Now I'm questioning if my stability is worth my freedom."

Mckenna15815 April 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium was a God send. It elevated my mood to prevent suicidal thoughts and prevented manic episodes. I had to stop taking it because I had urinary problems unassociated with the lithium, but which were taxing my kidneys and my doctor suggested I stop taking it to prevent further damage. It was hard to stop taking because it worked so well for me. I miss it. I had no other symptoms except I liked water a lot more."

BAEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am diagnosed with schizoaffective Bipolar. I spent 8 years trying every psychiatric medication on the market to no avail. I never found stability my life was made up of rapid cycles of extreme moods one week I would be happy confident and secure the next week I would be extremely depressed often suicidal had 6 serious suicide attempts and was hospitalized 22 times. Nothing worked at least not for long. I was put on lithium 2 years ago along with the two other medications, I was on an antidepressant and an antipsychotic. Lithium saved my life I have had no suicidal thoughts, my life is no longer ruled by extreme moods although I can be a little emotional at times I am able to remain logical and in control something I could never do before."

Heatherbella (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 17, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium saved my life by suppressing totally my suicidal thoughts. I would say it works moderately well for my hypomanias (we still had to add an antipsychotic) and moderately well for my depression symptoms (we had to add an antidepressant). I don’t feel drowsy, numb, slow or zombie. There is only one side effect I HATE : the tremors. Even Inderal doesn’t remove them completely. A single cup of coffee makes them 2X worse."

Bipolar12345 (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My manias have definitely been 'filed down' so far.... Though I now have mixed states and anger is highly apparent during mania. Basically I used to have a pure 'joy' mania. But now it's that and quick rage. Though I'm unsure if Lithium is to blame here for I've always had anger issues. "

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 2 years) February 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been in Lithium for 5 years. For the first 4 years I had a positive outcome. But for the past year I've experenced rapid cycling and have been hospitalized twice. I'm now taking a combination of 1500mg of Lithium, 20mg of Prozac and 10mg of Saphris. I'm hoping the depression lifts and my moods will stabilize. Feeling very overwhelmed."

DCat13 (taken for 5 to 10 years) February 27, 2015

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "My manias have definitely been 'filed down' so far.... Though I now have mixed states and anger is highly apparent during mania. Though I'm unsure if Lithium is to blame here for I've always had anger issues. But it seems more intense."

Dragonley February 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium provides a ton of stability for ultra-rapid cyclers. The drawbacks are it interacts with almost everything in certain ways and it is fairly hard on the liver. My primary care physician and psychiatrist work together to try to provide options that won't affect my liver as much as a result. Because of the amount of stability it provides, I don't think I'll ever be able to go off of it. I may be able to lower it by trying changes to other things. But it just works too well at giving stability. I don't like when the pharmacist says it out loud because it's a dead giveaway of what you're taking it for. "

beefcake77 (taken for 10 years or more) February 1, 2015

For Depression: "Even though it's not used for the treatment of OCD, it took mine away completely as well as significantly cleared up my depression. About a year after being on it I became extremely thirsty, drinking two liters a day and urinating frequently. I have had to since come off it and symtoms have returned."

Kristys1989 January 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking lithium (300mg) for about 2-3 weeks now and it has taken away my mania and leveled me out. I can see that is is working and helping me with my insomnia as well. A few down sides: it makes me nauseous when taken without food and enough water and my sex drive is non-existent now. Kind of frustrating. I am also taking Lamictal (200mg) and have been for about a year so I know it's not the Lamictal that is causing these side effects."

Khizzle (taken for less than 1 month) January 5, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for about a month now. I was put on it by the doctor in the hospital after a major manic episode. This is the first time in my life that I have no have thoughts of harming myself. My mood is stable, life is easier and I am not suffering. I had some side effects of nausea and vomiting but with a reduction in my level and always taking it with food these side effects have subsided. I am still getting used to being stable after over three decades of illness but this is getting better every day. I recommend giving lithium a try if nothing else has worked."

Aimer123 December 16, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have struggled with bipolar depression for very long time almost 6 years. I was in denial for quite a long. Until I started hearing things and thinking things I heard or read were speaking about me. About fours years on and off. The Issue that I had was that I didn't trust medication because I felt there was no such thing as bipolar disorder. I met a great girl and got married and she helped me take Lithium consistently and soon after I had a miraculous transformation from it. I could think clearly, talk straight, listen, and take care of myself. Everything improved dramatically. I was paranoid anymore. Also, the feelings of death and depression went away and I could see past myself. Lithium has changed my entire life."

Allan 1600 mg a day (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 6, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium was great for my intrusive thoughts as of suicidal and homicidal, cleared them up within three days. Had to stop taking it due to the bad headaches and other side effects. Now trying Depakote so far so good. Overall I hope lithium works for others."

Crazymeds1234 November 30, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've was dubious about lithium and didn't want it. Time came that it was a choice left. At first I had nausea, and thirst. My doctor out me on a XR brand and it was better. I can honestly say today, I don't know if it's working or not. It is such a medicine that just does what it needs to do. But a warning is- watch your salts either on your plate or in the sun. I was told by the chemist and then I became aware when one day, I was out in the heat and walking around. I felt faint after a while. Next day I felt washed out. And this has happened a few times. Lithium is based on salts and this can play a little chaos. Especially in the heat."

Austgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years) November 29, 2014