User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Mania 10 reviews 14 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Summary of Lithium reviews 171 reviews 7.6

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have tried taking lithium twice - when I was a teenager & as an adult. Both times it didn't do much for me. I still experienced mood swings & I gained a lot of weight. I also developed thyroid problems & had very bad tremors. This is not a medication I would recommend. If you do decide to take lithium make sure to get your your doctor to give you blood tests regularly, so you can check on your liver, thyroid, etc. It is very important."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "On lithium 800mg, venlafaxine 300mg, mirtazapine 30mg and still nowhere near normal. Currently being treated for depression but have overwhelming anxiety. Am told that I have bipolar disorder. This episode of depression has been going on for 12 months. I wake up in turmoil and it goes on all day long, day in day out."

tinahemp January 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Oh it's effective alright. I no longer feel manic. Instead, I feel like a brick wall. Like I am lost in a warp somewhere and I can't feel anything emotionally"

acl17 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am just about to stop taking lithium for bipolar2 due to recent frightening side effects. No problems to start except thirsty, but lately had numb tingly arm which was scary, I was told lithium level was 0.6 (should be fine) then a bit later had a hideous kind of fit, (I wrongly linked 2 a cocktail?) where I suddenly felt totally drugged but kind of clear headed, terrified, Vision (but not eyes) flicking side to side v fast on and off for 2-3 hrs - horrifying. When I cld see I googled and Very Bad Diseases like Parkinson's came up. (Eyes checked -fine) Then next day lost ability to swallow at all for about 5 mins (dysfagia?) also Terrifying. All 3 symptoms are signs of Parkinson's but no thanks 2my gp I found they can also be effects from lithium. Gutted"

T bear January 13, 2016

For Depression: "Tried a lot of SSRIs before a doctor prescribed a medium dose of lithium. Can't even describe how much better I feel. I used to feel so stuck by my depression and am now able to do so much more with my life. My sex drive dropped off a little but I'm not otherwise feeling flat from it. Didn't have any of the weight gain or shaking side effects. Changed my life."

Samiam27 January 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Made me feel disconnected from world, like a living in fog. Now I'm on Depakote ER and I'm better"

cw2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've never felt so balanced and "normal". Water could almost run off my back. A blessing enabling me to work 4-5 days a week, previously 2-3."

peony16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder about a year ago. After many failed medications my psychiatrist prescribed me lithium 600mg. The side effects were brutal for the first month but have faded away to only occasional mild nausea. Overall pleased with the way it has stabilized my moods and I am able to live a more steady lifestyle."

Lisanator December 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Probably the worst medication I've ever been on. Made me feel completely disconnected from reality and dissociate all the time, made me nauseous, did not help with my suicidal thoughts or impulses at all (in fact I was MORE suicidal on it). I didn't care about anything, couldn't get any work done, could not concentrate, slept all the time, and gained weight on it. Did not help my depressive symptoms at all."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium works. No one knows why which is odd, but it gave me my life back with no side effects. Love it."

Jillkillian December 10, 2015

For Depression: "This medication, in combination with a med for sleep, alleviated me of suicidal ideation in matter of one week inpatient. On the downside, I do feel quite flat, and the effects on my health are not able to be known this early on. The poor health feelings are usually due to the drug not being eliminated fast enough by your liver. I received minimal therapy and didn't experience life improvement, yet all bouts of suicidal depression are gone. Depression for me is now less severe, and more transient."

Steve Stevenson November 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hate it"

Menolikeit November 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm a 21 year old male who was recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder ultra rapid cycling. Before this I got started on this salt, I was truly at the mercy of my moods. My highs ranged from acting highly inappropriate in public places to my highly suicidal lows of which I've been hospitalized. My psychiatrist quickly put me on the "Gold Standard" for bipolar treatment. I titrated up. My first dose was at 300mg then 600mg and now, 900mg. My dosage at 900 makes my emotional roller coaster a smooth and highly manageable kiddie ride. Side effects I've experienced are an increase in appetite and weight, a small amount of hair loss and a bit of fatigue. Give lithium a shot - it has potential, but remember, it is not for everyone."

Kyle West November 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on Lithium for two weeks and for the first time in years, many many years I feel great. Like a light being switched on. Please tell me it will last! Mild shakes. Happy happy happy"

A Ferreira (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have had depression forever and after failed SSRIs mania started to occur. Luckily I was already seeing a psychiatrist he tried me on Seroquel which made me way too sleepy and then Lithium which stopped both mania and depression. Although it doesn't cure bipolar so I still have manic and depressive episodes during stressful times but they are much more minor now I'm on Lithium. Only side effects are tremors for me but they are fairly minor."

bippypolar October 12, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I take 600mg lithium the only side effect I have are the tremors. Have been on it for the past year thought I was taking it for 5 years when I was first diagnosed with bipolar 13 years ago. I wanted off it then because I was doing well and I continued to do so for many years afterward until the depression came back. Then after trying different meds that were unsuccessful I went back on lithium. I'm amazed at some of the very high doses some are taking as mine was increased to 800mg I wasn't even on that dosage a week and had to reduce back to 600mg again as I went toxic. I remember Depakote causing my hair to fall out and it was an extremely good med other than that."

Maure October 9, 2015

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been struggling with bipolar for 17 years, and nothing has worked as well as Lithium. The side effects are uncomfortable as far as the upset stomach feeling, but eating with the medication helps."

ldc12 August 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was wary of Lithium, personal reasons. Then it came to the point of id run out of choices, Epilum was good but the shaking hands made it hard to even hold a pen. So next was Lithium, and its been great. I am on Seroquel and i dont have a bad word about either. Well being in NSW it gets so hot, and i am not good in the heat, the chemist warned me, and its true. No strenuous exercise, it knocks me around. Even long walks it tells on my body. Mood wise- i still have lapses but i am not swapping Lithium for anything. Nor Seroquel, im content."

Koalamaiden (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 15, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "My only two complaints about lithium are the potentially detrimental effects on the kidneys and the nausea. I first started taking lithium in college but stopped because of excessive nausea and vomiting. Five years later, I'm trying it again because the other mood stabilizers I have tried were not too helpful (abilify "numbed" me, zyprexa turned me into an angry bear, seroquel made me sleep all the time, depakote gave me bad tremors, etc). I do have to adjust my lifestyle habits though while on lithium...more water, less sodium or acidity in foods, take it nightly...but vomiting/intense nausea and renal problems down the road..."

Anonymity88889 July 26, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "35 years old, just been diagnosed "Bipolar 1" 3 days ago, taking 1-3 tabs Lithium a day for starters combined with 150 mg Wellbutrin. Amount is at my discretion? Not a good idea for a substance abuser, so my poor lovely wife doles out all meds for me. My Father, brother, sister all have Bipolar 1, I've been denying it for quite a while but recently the highs have been too great, and the lows equally opposite, scheming a way to off myself so my wife gets life insurance. This is all about 10 years over due if it works, I'm pessimistic. Day 4 though, have to say I felt pretty good considering last night I was about to call Oakland PD to come to my day job and save me from jumping, not joking. I hope this works, any feedback?"

Running mind (taken for less than 1 month) July 24, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm 46 and suffer from serious bipolar 1 with PTSD from a 25 year old military accident where a live missile fell off an F-4 and smashed my left foot. Many nights spent laying awake wishing it had exploded. First took lithium back in 1999 and found that it helped, but it was also dulling the positive receptors as well. It would upset my stomach and dehydrate me terribly. After going on and off of it for years, I recently had a nurse practitioner switch me to the lithium carbonate ER (extended release). I now take the whole dose before bed and don't have the upset stomach anymore. Still thirsty and on the numb side.... but functioning better."

JahBird (taken for 10 years or more) July 23, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "This medication literally saved my life. It kicked in in about a week and has increasingly gotten better since then. Lithium keeps you from feeling the intense overly emotional highs and keeps away the suicidal/hopeless lows. I tried going off of it for a week because I thought I didnt need it, and found myself crying nightly/ getting overly emotional."

Clare_anne July 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with bipolar type I in 2008. I sort of knew that I was bipolar, and I also heard that lithium was a terrible drug (thanks to the teachings of a very misinformed individual). I tried 3 mood stabilizers over the past 7 years. Each of the mood stabilizers was an anti seizure med. Finally, I had to go on lithium. Within one week, I felt better than I had ever felt before. I suffered from horrible irritability all this time. My irritability is now gone. My own son said that I am lot nicer now. Hearing my son say that made this switch very worth while."

MSHI2018 July 2, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Diagnosed bipolar 2 although my hypomania would get quite extreme and I think I was headed for mania with the last bout. Took away suicidal thoughts almost entirely. Puts you in a kind of haze, but a very functional haze, not a 'zombie' feeling; It's good for paranoia too. And the best thing is you still have highs and lows they are just less intense! YAY not over medicated. So far have noticed thinning hair and minor scalp pain but when it comes to mood I am STABLE. Taking with Seroquel also but only 100mg as I'm weaning off the seroquel. Maybe the seroquel in addition is causing the side effects, unsure. I do feel that lithium is effecting my skin and hair though. Lowers sex drive but doesn't get rid of it entirely."

22 male (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am 16 years old. I have been to over 20 in and outpaient mental health hospitals, including residential. I had severe depression, severe anxiety, and the last year before I was diagnosed, extreme anger. I was suicidal, homicidal, I self harmed, I had an eating disorder, I dealt with death, abuse, bullying, everything. I attempted suicide four times. I barely made it each time. I had all the symptoms. low self-esteem, self harm, eating disorders, isolation, mania, the suicidal/homicidal thoughts, I was trying to use drugs, I skipped school, I tried to kill people, I had insomnia. I finally, after two years, found this miracle little pill. "

sara alexander (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 5, 2015