User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 3 reviews 6 medications

5.7
Summary of Lithium reviews 181 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "Turned me into a lifeless zombie"

rxqp89 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) April 22, 2016

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Made me feel dependant on them"

Ginnylynn (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 26, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "44 years old officially diagnosed 3 years ago. Although I was manic for many years. I had huge opportunity and am a successful business man with a number of company's. I have 3 beautiful children that are the only reason I'm here today.. like many I'm so fed up with my illness I can drag you down in life. it's extremely complicated affair.. I have been pretty much on many combinations, quetiapine which I still take 600mg tried all of the following without any success side effects horrendous for me venlaxerfin, abiblify, pregabaline like, olanzapine, I currently have to taking the gamble and trying lithium now on 400 mg with 600mg quetiapine, 150 lamatrogine, zoucline 7.5 6 mill diagram. . On lithium so far no side effects however not feeling a benefit"

sp3nc3r March 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Started treatment on Lithium in the midst of a major depressive episode. Started on 400mg and gradually titrated up to 1000mg. In short, I love this med. I've had very few side effects; I've gained weight but I think this is mainly due to Quetiapine which I take alongside Lithium. I still experience major shifts in mood, but lithium has made me far less suicidal, less inclined to self harm and has majorly improved my focus, concentration span, verbal dexterity and, in part, manic spells. I am now in what would normally be a manic phase in my cycle and, whilst I still feel a little jittery and excitable, it's far better than before. Only minor set back is my thyroid function is a little high, but I'm monitoring this with doc. Recommended."

CharlieTD March 12, 2016

For Cyclothymic Disorder: "Ok, we all know that people respond differently to meds BUT this is my story. I was on the verge of losing my husband of 24 years. Feeling I had hit rock bottom I decided to see 1 more doctor. I had taken every antidepressant under the sun in the last 20 years for "anxiety and depression" and I had high hopes every single time.....nothing was working and I was getting worse. My doctor started me on lithium 300mg twice daily. I can honestly say I felt a huge difference after the first 24 hours. My mind was QUIET and I felt calm. No racing thoughts, no panic attacks, no overthinking anything.....just peace. I have been on it for 2.5 wks now and I FINALLY feel normal again. I am more considerate and loving to my family <3"

44yroldmom March 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have Bipolar I mixed episodes, I've been on a number of medications in the past, but Lithium stands out as one of the worst in my case. I lived in a fog but also had some of the worst stomach issues as well. I gained quite a bit of weight too but the worst was the severe Acne I got from the drug. I never had acne like this in my life since than or before, so I know it was the medicine. It was painful, it felt like second degree burns, I went to see my doctor and all that smug @$$ said was "that's one of the side effects unfortunately". I don't mean to sound vain but a lot of self worth comes from the outside as well as the inside and while that shouldn't be the case it's a fact for me. Be informed, not all drugs work for everyone."

Shadow79 March 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed as bipolar in 2007. I've been on and off a plethora of different meds. In Nov. 2015 my nurse practitioner put me on 600mg/day of Lithium Carb CR. At first my emotions were all over the place then things began to level out. For first time in years I actually felt SELF motivated! My nurse pract. said the blood test looked bad for my kidneys and thyroid. My pcp said the opposite. I didn't care; I was ALIVE again! Then about 10 days ago I felt the first slip and now I'm in free fall. I'm so tired of fighting."

SusanJulia (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Started yesterday. IR 300mg 3x daily. Within thirty minutes, I'm laughing with joy, unbelievable! Cured. Years of zyprexa, abilify, Celexa, depakote, Ativan, etc, and.. Wow. I can finally admit it. I have bipolar disorder. Nothing else. Not anxiety. Calm. Quiet and calm head. No depression or mania. I want to feel and look my best all the time. And it only took a naturally occurring element, abundant in our universe.. To flip the switch. Although there is no cure. Just how I feel."

NormalNow (taken for less than 1 month) February 18, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium is a good drug to control Bipolar but beware it damages your kidneys eventually. Make sure you discuss all blood tests with a doctor."

plus or minus (taken for 10 years or more) February 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Just started Lithium 300mg daily, 5 days ago. I'm hopeful it will help with the depression, I'm just always so extremely tired (been like this since my teens, I'm 42). I by accident found out I was bipolar, I know sounds strange but it started when my doc prescribed Tegretol for neuralgia. It didn't help for it but instead got rid of my migraines, lifted my mood and was taking me out of the depression, was working great but then became allergic to it, I'm now on Lithium and I pray that it works just as great as Tegretol. I currently take Adderall, Lithium, Restoril and Doxycycline. I'm prescribed Zoloft but stopped taking it because I didn't feel any better."

IvRose (taken for less than 1 month) February 8, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have tried taking lithium twice - when I was a teenager & as an adult. Both times it didn't do much for me. I still experienced mood swings & I gained a lot of weight. I also developed thyroid problems & had very bad tremors. This is not a medication I would recommend. If you do decide to take lithium make sure to get your your doctor to give you blood tests regularly, so you can check on your liver, thyroid, etc. It is very important."

~*Melanie*~ (taken for 6 months to 1 year) February 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "On lithium 800mg, venlafaxine 300mg, mirtazapine 30mg and still nowhere near normal. Currently being treated for depression but have overwhelming anxiety. Am told that I have bipolar disorder. This episode of depression has been going on for 12 months. I wake up in turmoil and it goes on all day long, day in day out."

tinahemp January 24, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Oh it's effective alright. I no longer feel manic. Instead, I feel like a brick wall. Like I am lost in a warp somewhere and I can't feel anything emotionally"

acl17 (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 14, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I am just about to stop taking lithium for bipolar2 due to recent frightening side effects. No problems to start except thirsty, but lately had numb tingly arm which was scary, I was told lithium level was 0.6 (should be fine) then a bit later had a hideous kind of fit, (I wrongly linked 2 a cocktail?) where I suddenly felt totally drugged but kind of clear headed, terrified, Vision (but not eyes) flicking side to side v fast on and off for 2-3 hrs - horrifying. When I cld see I googled and Very Bad Diseases like Parkinson's came up. (Eyes checked -fine) Then next day lost ability to swallow at all for about 5 mins (dysfagia?) also Terrifying. All 3 symptoms are signs of Parkinson's but no thanks 2my gp I found they can also be effects from lithium. Gutted"

T bear January 13, 2016

For Depression: "Tried a lot of SSRIs before a doctor prescribed a medium dose of lithium. Can't even describe how much better I feel. I used to feel so stuck by my depression and am now able to do so much more with my life. My sex drive dropped off a little but I'm not otherwise feeling flat from it. Didn't have any of the weight gain or shaking side effects. Changed my life."

Samiam27 January 7, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "Made me feel disconnected from world, like a living in fog. Now I'm on Depakote ER and I'm better"

cw2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I've never felt so balanced and "normal". Water could almost run off my back. A blessing enabling me to work 4-5 days a week, previously 2-3."

peony16 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 1, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder: "I was diagnosed with rapid cycling bipolar disorder about a year ago. After many failed medications my psychiatrist prescribed me lithium 600mg. The side effects were brutal for the first month but have faded away to only occasional mild nausea. Overall pleased with the way it has stabilized my moods and I am able to live a more steady lifestyle."

Lisanator December 30, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Probably the worst medication I've ever been on. Made me feel completely disconnected from reality and dissociate all the time, made me nauseous, did not help with my suicidal thoughts or impulses at all (in fact I was MORE suicidal on it). I didn't care about anything, couldn't get any work done, could not concentrate, slept all the time, and gained weight on it. Did not help my depressive symptoms at all."

Invisiblecreeper (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 19, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium works. No one knows why which is odd, but it gave me my life back with no side effects. Love it."

Jillkillian December 10, 2015

For Depression: "This medication, in combination with a med for sleep, alleviated me of suicidal ideation in matter of one week inpatient. On the downside, I do feel quite flat, and the effects on my health are not able to be known this early on. The poor health feelings are usually due to the drug not being eliminated fast enough by your liver. I received minimal therapy and didn't experience life improvement, yet all bouts of suicidal depression are gone. Depression for me is now less severe, and more transient."

Steve Stevenson November 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Hate it"

Menolikeit November 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I'm a 21 year old male who was recently diagnosed with Bipolar 2 disorder ultra rapid cycling. Before this I got started on this salt, I was truly at the mercy of my moods. My highs ranged from acting highly inappropriate in public places to my highly suicidal lows of which I've been hospitalized. My psychiatrist quickly put me on the "Gold Standard" for bipolar treatment. I titrated up. My first dose was at 300mg then 600mg and now, 900mg. My dosage at 900 makes my emotional roller coaster a smooth and highly manageable kiddie ride. Side effects I've experienced are an increase in appetite and weight, a small amount of hair loss and a bit of fatigue. Give lithium a shot - it has potential, but remember, it is not for everyone."

Kyle West November 14, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Been on Lithium for two weeks and for the first time in years, many many years I feel great. Like a light being switched on. Please tell me it will last! Mild shakes. Happy happy happy"

A Ferreira (taken for less than 1 month) October 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have had depression forever and after failed SSRIs mania started to occur. Luckily I was already seeing a psychiatrist he tried me on Seroquel which made me way too sleepy and then Lithium which stopped both mania and depression. Although it doesn't cure bipolar so I still have manic and depressive episodes during stressful times but they are much more minor now I'm on Lithium. Only side effects are tremors for me but they are fairly minor."

bippypolar October 12, 2015