User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Mania 10 reviews 14 medications

7.5
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 136 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lithium

Review by Dragonley (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: My manias have definitely been 'filed down' so far.... Though I now have mixed states and anger is highly apparent during mania. Basically I used to have a pure 'joy' mania. But now it's that and quick rage. Though I'm unsure if Lithium is to blame here for I've always had anger issues.

February 28, 2015 12:51 AM

Review by DCat13 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been in Lithium for 5 years. For the first 4 years I had a positive outcome. But for the past year I've experenced rapid cycling and have been hospitalized twice. I'm now taking a combination of 1500mg of Lithium, 20mg of Prozac and 10mg of Saphris. I'm hoping the depression lifts and my moods will stabilize. Feeling very overwhelmed.

February 27, 2015 7:37 PM

Review by Dragonley:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: My manias have definitely been 'filed down' so far.... Though I now have mixed states and anger is highly apparent during mania. Though I'm unsure if Lithium is to blame here for I've always had anger issues. But it seems more intense.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2015 4:49 PM

Review by Khizzle (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking lithium (300mg) for about 2-3 weeks now and it has taken away my mania and leveled me out. I can see that is is working and helping me with my insomnia as well. A few down sides: it makes me nauseous when taken without food and enough water and my sex drive is non-existent now. Kind of frustrating. I am also taking Lamictal (200mg) and have been for about a year so I know it's not the Lamictal that is causing these side effects.

January 5, 2015 10:28 PM

Review by Aimer123:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on lithium for about a month now. I was put on it by the doctor in the hospital after a major manic episode. This is the first time in my life that I have no have thoughts of harming myself. My mood is stable, life is easier and I am not suffering. I had some side effects of nausea and vomiting but with a reduction in my level and always taking it with food these side effects have subsided. I am still getting used to being stable after over three decades of illness but this is getting better every day. I recommend giving lithium a try if nothing else has worked.

December 16, 2014 4:42 AM

Review by Allan 1600 mg a day (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have struggled with bipolar depression for very long time almost 6 years. I was in denial for quite a long. Until I started hearing things and thinking things I heard or read were speaking about me. About fours years on and off. The Issue that I had was that I didn't trust medication because I felt there was no such thing as bipolar disorder. I met a great girl and got married and she helped me take Lithium consistently and soon after I had a miraculous transformation from it. I could think clearly, talk straight, listen, and take care of myself. Everything improved dramatically. I was paranoid anymore. Also, the feelings of death and depression went away and I could see past myself. Lithium has changed my entire life.

December 6, 2014 12:38 AM

Review by Crazymeds1234:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lithium was great for my intrusive thoughts as of suicidal and homicidal, cleared them up within three days. Had to stop taking it due to the bad headaches and other side effects. Now trying Depakote so far so good. Overall I hope lithium works for others.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 8:55 PM

Review by Austgirl (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've was dubious about lithium and didn't want it. Time came that it was a choice left. At first I had nausea, and thirst. My doctor out me on a XR brand and it was better. I can honestly say today, I don't know if it's working or not. It is such a medicine that just does what it needs to do. But a warning is- watch your salts either on your plate or in the sun. I was told by the chemist and then I became aware when one day, I was out in the heat and walking around. I felt faint after a while. Next day I felt washed out. And this has happened a few times. Lithium is based on salts and this can play a little chaos. Especially in the heat.

November 29, 2014 1:29 AM

Review by CarrieC. (taken for less than 1 month):

For Mania: I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 with extreme highs and lows. I started taking lithium 3 days ago and I am so thankful. My life has completely changed I now feel level for the first time. I think it is a great medicine to talk to your Doctor about.

November 28, 2014 6:01 PM

Review by Cjhall57 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lithium for several months now for Bipolar I. Wow! It helps. Drawback: you will feel sick if you dont drink enough water. Also I gained 30 pounds in about 4 months. I felt ravishingly hungry all the time. That part is not fun, however I can function properly. What lithium doesnt cover the therapy does. I might have a chance at normalcy.

October 30, 2014 4:01 PM

Review by Catpuff:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on lithium for 5 months now. Worst part is feeling so flat on it. I take lithium 900mg, Zyprexa 10mg and lorazepam 1-2 mg daily. I do feel the lithium is working, but my moods are still not stable. I hope things level out more for me. I have been on carbamazepine for 17 years, and it just stopped working.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 19, 2014 3:38 PM

Review by Cjayeaa (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Was extremely suicidal and had ECT treatment for several weeks. Then put on lithium for maintenance therapy 300x2 daily for now. I Think I've found the perfect recipe for S/I. Never have I felt so good and have enjoyed being alive. I recommend ECT and lithium for anyone struggling with S/I. I've tried everything else for past 15 years and this is the ticket.

October 3, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by swaggymaggie:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have depressive bipolar 2 which never is a huge issue until there's less Sun due to it combining with my seasonal mood disorder to send me over the edge. I started taking lithium in January and I recently have just stopped (July) so about 7 solid months or so. Granted this worked great I felt more clear headed the first couple months except it messed my stomach up horrible in combination with my irritable bowel syndrome. Plus my periods turned brown and would be two weeks late every time which is horrible nerve wrecking. My hormones completely lost it and still have yet to go back to normal. Granted I'm only 18 and I could be growing once more and I've changed my acne routines but my acne completely changed making my skin.

August 11, 2014 12:23 AM

Review by king bean (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: Didn't give it much of a chance - 2 weeks. Just felt lousy on it - dizzy, clumsy, not any benefits. In retrospect, should have stayed with it. Still the gold standard for Bipolar 1, which is not really me. Blood tests required, etc.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 4, 2014 2:35 PM

Review by happy2012:

For Bipolar Disorder: When I originally got sick with insomnia and mania, I was prescribed Seroquel. 5 years later was admitted to the hospital and a student doc suggested I try lithium. It kills fast onset mania quickly and fortunately have minor ill effects from it. Lost precision hand eye coordination for playing sports like baseball, that's the only issue I have had with it. And minor sun sensitivity. Its also good being a natural substance on the table of elements so it's not a synthetic medicine. Very lucky to be on a low level that works so no need for constant blood monitoring.

July 7, 2014 1:16 PM

Review by Thecircusrules (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Prescribed 1200mg of lithium for bipolar 1, alongside 800mg of Seroquel (quetiapine). Problems early on with lithium toxicity due to a blood pressure medicine, once sorted out this medicine is awesome. I still feel happy and a little sad at times but it has removed the scare out of auditory and visual hallucinations.

June 19, 2014 11:01 AM

Review by GingerLee347:

For Bipolar Disorder: Hell for many years now. 2 months ago I was once again fetal positioned in a laundry basket rocking back and forth in the attic and I finally said enough is enough%u2026I am going to get help. I am a rapid cycler-about every 10 days my episodes would begin again-I had about 5 good days/month. I never wanted to be "zombiefied" by medicine so, I reluctantly and VERY defensively went to the doctor and asked for help. They gave me Lithium and I can't believe the change! I finally feel free for the first time in my life. I am on a lower dose than some. I still have some symptoms, but feeling them is allowing me to work through them, and also NOT lose my creativity. Only side effect is that I walk into things- annoying.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 26, 2014 11:13 PM

Review by Flatlined (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder and I have been on lithium for a week and it has instantly turned me into a lifeless zombie! I have no feeling except depression now. I have no energy to do anything. I've tried Lamictal and Depakote but they didn't calm the anger outbursts. The only plus is I have lost 5lbs! I'm at the point of giving up. I've previously been on Zoloft, Prozac, Paxil and Lexapro...all separately. These worked for depression to an extent but not for the mania.

May 7, 2014 11:21 AM

Review by brenndo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I had been on lamotrigine for nearly 10 years and I noticed that slowly over time it was losing its effectiveness, and my episodes had become more and more extreme, to the point of one of my depressive episodes becoming psychotic in nature. Then I was hospitalized and put on Lithium. After a month on the medication, and two weeks stable, my initial fears of lithium have faded. The medication has given me some unwanted side effects such as vision changes, hand tremors, muscle twitching but for the mental stability this medicine has given me... it's all worth it. My psychotic thoughts and depressive episode has mostly ended, and the blood tests are a pain but I highly recommend anyone with Bipolar, especially Bipolar I to be open minded.

April 8, 2014 1:38 PM

Review by lexana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Many years ago I was diagnosed with bipolar ll. Lithium was my doctor's first choice. Not even sure how effective it was. The side effects were awful. I could not work, I lost down to 95 pounds. I was so weak I had difficulty climbing stairs. I shook so bad I could not sign my own name. Then my doctor started to add all sorts of medicines to counteract the side effects. I became hypothyroid had to take medicines for that, tremor had to take medicines for that (didn't work well). Dr. decreased dose (didn't help much). I was on leave from work for 12 weeks. Finally stopped the lithium. It took awhile for my Dr. to believe my problems with this medicine because they were not typical. Those 12 weeks were the worst.

March 9, 2014 7:36 PM

Review by drk21:

For Cluster Headaches: This is a godsend for daily cluster headaches.

February 3, 2014 3:23 PM

Review by JenKat (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Currently on Lithicarb 500mg taken as 2 x 250mg tablets taken 1 morning and one night. Was bumped up to 750mg but reduced back after severe dry skin and digestive discomfort as side effects. Was finally put on lithium after previously being misdiagnosed with just depression and general anxiety & put on Venlafaxine which exacerbated my mania...hence was finally correctly diagnosed with bipolar. Suicidal thoughts are now minimal and I got over the need to pee excessively which comes with increasing your fluid intake after first starting my meds. Now I am 4 months in & I have gained weight but that doesn't bother me as much as my loss of creativity & general lack of motivation. On the plus side, this doesn't bother me as much as it should.

December 28, 2013 1:48 AM

Review by CrackerMan21 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Mania: For some, lithium is the most effective choice for bipolar mania. Unfortunately for me, it's not. My body rebelled against it immediately and without pause for its entire 60-day 'trial'. My bowels were never solid the entire time. I'm amazed now that I never recognized any dehydration symptoms over that time. It worked for my dear departed mother, but not for me, but I gave it a shot.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 12, 2013 7:48 AM

Review by Pineapple38 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Lithium for three weeks now. For the first time in years I feel balanced. My major ups and downs have subsided and I do not have any side effects at all. Since I work in construction I monitor my fluid intake to avoid too much lithium in my system. The only drawback to drinking more water is having to frequent the restroom more often. My sleep has improved as well so all my previous medications are no longer needed. Currently I'm on 300mg 3x/day. Everybody's body responds differently to every medication out there and luckly I found something great.

October 30, 2013 9:24 PM

Review by Proponent of Lithium For Suicidal Ideation:

For Depression: Lithium is my Wonder Drug. I'm 51, was depressed on & off for years, had major depression for 7+ years, & have been suicidal since age 7. The last 2 years were exhausting trying to stay ahead of the suicidal pull in spite of entering therapy & getting medicated. I finally asked my psychiatrist for ANY aggressive treatment -- regardless of the severity of the side effects -- because I was going to lose the battle. He asked me to try Lithium, first. Within a month, I had ZERO desire to kill myself. Side effects: Major leg tremors (I take Effexor). I feel a little flat, but NO complaints; I can't REMEMBER the last time I wasn't suicidal, DAILY. I'm STUNNED at how this "alternative" feels & am glad I held on long enough to experience it.

October 21, 2013 6:18 AM