User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

5.1
Summary of Abilify reviews 344 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

Review by Litt:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Ability 2 mg at first then 5 mg & 10 mg gained weight in matter of 2 months. Yes it was working, but I gained weight back I had lost & then some. It's second to prednisone! I've never been 200 lbs & may get 180's. So now I'm back depressed! My insurance would cover until October & then the price would vary. It didn't matter I couldn't pay it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 3:22 PM

Review by cyclinga1a:

For Depression: I was in severe depression. Working with a great psychiatrist who had me on Lamictal and Celexa with no change. He added 2.5mg of Abilify and by the 2nd day, I was myself again. Still feel great with good energy level and ability to cope.

January 22, 2015 2:29 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was put on 5 mg of Abilify 2 months ago to add to 60 mg of Prozac that had stopped working. I was afraid at first due to all the negative comments of weight gain. This medication is a blessing. Felt alive again after taking only 2 weeks. My life is better than ever. No weight gain. This medication does increase your appetite but if you don't over eat you will be fine.

December 10, 2014 3:47 PM

Review by Rodisms:

For Depression: Abilify has worked wonders for me. I told my doctor that I just didn't seem to care if I did things or not, and that things just didn't bother me enough to make me want to fix them. She gave me Abilify and even though I had my doubts that anything would work, 3 days after starting taking them, I found myself not wanting to stay still long enough to watch a whole TV show, because I felt there was better things I could be doing. I have been cleaning, rearranging, and packing away things every day since it took effect. I have never been one to want to do stuff. I would do what needed doing, but nothing more. Now, I just want to do it all. Love this stuff.

November 25, 2014 9:28 AM

Review by Just Plain Nuts (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Abilify worked pretty good for five years with Prozac. But then I became morbidly obese, with elevated bad lipids and prediabetes. Also, I was constantly in fear of tardive dyskinesia. I no longer take it.

November 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by Rake82:

For Depression: I have been struggling with postnatal depression for nine months; really, for the last 2.5 years as I had two babies 19 months apart. I was placed on Wellbutrin which helped with the physical effects but did not improve mood, I was then placed on Lexapro, then Prozac, then Zoloft and although some did improve my mood they all made me so tired I couldn't stay awake. They also made me feel disconnected and like I was observing emotions instead of feeling them. I was cold. Finally my doctor gave me Abilify to use with the Wellbutrin and it has completely changed me whole aspect. I feel like myself, for the first in years. I am awake, working hard, engaged, focused... it's my miracle! Even if it is $800 a month!

November 16, 2014 3:43 PM

Review by dalo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: On the good side it only had one side effect for me, and that was a little bit of a increased heart beat I could feel and it made me feel like I was going to a concert or just won a prize, it felt not too bad knowing the other medicines out there for schizophrenia.

November 12, 2014 8:12 PM

Review by Nocture_Melody:

For Bipolar Disorder: I'm a 21 year old female and just diagnosed with Bipolar I. It's been a roller coaster ride especially after gaining 10 pounds in the hospital while taking risperidone and Depakote. I'm still on the Depakote, though I hope to discontinue it as soon as my psychiatrist allows, but I just switched to Abilify. I've got to say, so far I have no complaints. With risperidone I had no "lid" to my hunger. It was endless, and that was quite disappointing. There were many other side effects, but the weight gain has added to my self loathing. Though the painful heart dysrhythmias are a close second. I'm hoping that Abilify makes it possible for me to curb my appetite back to what it used to be as I exercise the 30 pounds I don't need away.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2014 9:23 AM

Review by Psycho :) (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Beware Abilify, watch your weight. I stayed on Abilify for 7 months faithfully, hoping that the pros would outweigh the cons. The result? I gained 90 lbs in 7 months and this weight does not "shed" with discontinued use, I'll be working out hard to lose this. I'm only 25.

November 4, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by StarryNight8496 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Schizophrenia: My experience with abilify has been great because I no longer have schizophrenia or psychosis. I have been on this medicatiom since 2008 and I have never had any side effects at all, which is brilliant! I also feel so much better since I was diagnosed, like I am a new person.

November 2, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This has helped extremely with my bad mood swings and irritability but am having nightmares and waking up multiple time during the night feeling restless.

October 24, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by cannabis psychosis:

For Schizophrenia: I have had three psychotic breaks, all cannabis related. This medicine helped me control the last one at 20 mg while no other medicine could. The only downside are robot-like hands.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Kenzie444:

For Depression: I have had it all basically. Had a manic episode in 2009, and then a repeat in 2011, but not as severe. I was okay before that had had no problems with anything maybe a little anxiety. Now that I am older and on my own most days I've had some pretty rocky months, and I was concerned and a bit frightened that the depression would rip me up. I was hesitant to try it because I take Ativan during the day. My doctor suggested Abilify. I have bipolar as well and can't take any antidepressants. He told me to start with a quarter for a week, and really thought it wouldn't work. It was a miracle. I then started taking 2mg at night and have been noticing I've been waking up earlier. Doing things that I would hold off till 3pm. Wonderful.

October 17, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by notpsychoticanymore (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Agitated State: I was diagnosed with toxic psychosis due to cannabis abuse and this medicine saved my life while no other medicine could end my delusions and paranoia. I am very thankful.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 16, 2014 12:05 AM

Review by Valkyrie66:

For Bipolar Disorder: Have been on Abilify for two weeks and my personality has changed drastically. I went from being chilled out and quite okay on Seroquel and Effexor but wanted to try Abilify to combat weight gain. In the two weeks I've been on it I've swung from hypomanic to aggressive and downright selfish. I did things I wouldn't normally do that has hurt my relationship with my partner and I've also been spending like crazy. Probably should stop but will consult psychiatrist first to see what she says.

October 15, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by unicornfairierainbow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Abilify (10mg) for the past 3 weeks. It has been very helpful with my psychosis/hallucinations. I have only hallucinated twice in the past 3 weeks. There have been some complications though. I have experience side effects of nausea, light-headedness, being constantly tired, and dizziness. My depression seems to be lightening up every day and that it wonderful.

October 10, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by ignored by drs, drowsy from abilify (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I have social anxiety and depression. However, taking Abilify for about 8 years, I stopped drawing and was extremely drowsy. Had I not also been on Concerta, I would have been asleep the whole time.

October 7, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by FinallySomethingThatWorks:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been dealing with depression/major depressive disorder for 10 years. Finally I had enough of the depressive episodes and anxiety. I'm taking Abilify 2mg (AM) and Seroquel 200mg (PM). This is the best I've felt in years. I also haven't gained weight, I did have some dizziness but that lasted about a week, and is now gone. It took about two weeks to start seeing a difference in my mood.

September 29, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by SandyBlonde:

For Depression: Caused me to feel tired with no affect at all.

September 18, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Dont'StandCloseToMe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: No effect after 3 months on it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by maroe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Didnt work no change n mood

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 9:27 AM

Review by Suki S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: After taking several antidepressants across medicine classes, my Dr. Prescribed Abilify to take with Wellbutrin. I took the Abilify for 4 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. I experienced severe panic and insomnia. I am an anxious person, but I began getting extremely anxious and panicked about weird, insignificant things that had never bothered me before. Through my insurance, this medication was $75 every month. I think that would be worth it if it helped, but a complete waste to feel worse.

August 28, 2014 8:42 AM

Review by AnonAbilify (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: When I was younger I was put on Abilify in combination with antidepressants. I've been off of it for about 5 years or so now. As I recall it didn't do much for me, however my weight skyrocketed during the time I was on it, and it stuck with me even after I was off of it. At my worst I was about 250 pounds. I've lost a lot of weight since then, however, I still struggle with my weight today which creates a self-esteem issue that adds to my depression.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 9:42 PM

Review by Anonymousasss:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I am on Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Topamax for severe depression. I was still having depressive episodes and was placed on 2mg of Abilify. I instantly felt like a new person - what a relief! The "honeymoon" period wore off fairly quickly and I had to find my correct therapeutic dose at 20mg daily. With this combination of medicines I have been depression free for about a year! For me this is very unusual and I highly recommend Abilify. I have had no side effects.

August 14, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by David Lawliet:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Abilify for eight months now. Although it made me gain 15-20kg (something like 33-40 lbs I believe?), my experience is quite positive. The sadness from my major depressive episode, as well as my suicidal thoughts, have been almost annihilated. The reason why I rated it as a six is because it didn't help ease the great fatigue I have. But it helped a lot, that is for sure.

August 14, 2014 5:39 AM