User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

3.2
Summary of Abilify reviews 312 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

Review by invisible_creeper (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I had been on Risperdal for about 6 years but the weight gain symptom grew very troublesome so I tried Abilify. It seemed to work about as well as Risperdal in regards to controlling troublesome and self-injurous/suicidal thoughts, but within a week or so I had the side effect of a resting heart rate of 120 bpm that lasted about an hour. This happened about three times in the span of a few days so I had to stop taking Abilify. If I hadn't had that side effect it probably would've been a decent medication.

July 21, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by alr89 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: By the third day that I have started this medication; I have now began to experience severe dizziness and horrible headaches. Blurred vision and nausea occurs when the dizziness and headaches are at it's peaking point. The side affects are hard to deal with, and do not seem to be going away at all, but in fact seem to intensify.

July 19, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by yesyesyes! (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I have suffered with depression since I was 12 years old. Knowing manic episodes would pass, I still kept thinking I absolutely couldn't live my life this way. I tried everything Prozac, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro and Seroquel. Finally after going back and forth with antidepressants. We decided to try Strattera with clonazepam instead of an antidepressant. For 10 months I did fine. Until a few weeks ago when I had the longest and one of the worst manic episodes yet. Bed bound and shower less every weekend. My doctor decided to try the Abilify 2.5mg. The first 2 days I was VERY irritable. I couldn't sleep at all, slowly those side effects are going away. I cannot describe how great I feel now, sleep still interrupted but much better.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2014 10:20 AM

Review by Johnson232323:

For Depression: I was really hesitant to take Abilify after being on Zoloft and later Wellbutrin without noticing effects, but I did anyways and within a few days I started noticing effects. I feel surprisingly good now. I find myself doing chores like washing dishes or my laundry and realize that usually I would just slump around saying "I'll do it tomorrow" until I'm nearly out of clean clothes or dishes. I find myself singing to songs on the radio and my mood is not only noticeably better -- but remarkably and incredibly better. I haven't noticed any side effects except maybe that I'm a bit hungrier than usual -- for instance, I'll feel hungry and get a meal but not be able to finish it. So far, excellent results. Only about 2 weeks in.

June 26, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by Kooky01:

For Depression: I have suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Depression for years and have been on many different meds. The longest being Luvox. I decided to see a new Psychiatrist and she took me off of the Luvox and put me on Prozac, gradually increasing it to 60mg daily. OCD improved, but depression & GAD didn't. She then put me on 2mg Abilify added to my Prozac daily. In 3 days I started seeing improvement and feeling better than I have in many years. Life had been a struggle for me for so long and now I feel better than I have in years. I sure hope and pray that I continue to feel this way. Yes, my appetite has increased and I am gaining some much needed weight. I would still prefer these minor side effects than to go back to the old me. I give Abilify a 10 .

June 18, 2014 2:20 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was put on Ability to help with Major Depression/Clinical depression, and anxiety. The side effects were life changing. Just horrible. I was put on it at 15. I had hallucinations, pass out spells, times of absolute carelessness, and increased suicidal thoughts. I also became very hateful and paranoid. I developed unexplained muscle twitches, so my doctor finally took me off of it. I also had constant migraines and increased irritability I was just a mess on this medication! I still have the muscle twitches, and it's been 5 years since I had Abilify.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 18, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by DonFL:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Exacerbated all negative feelings. Switched to Effexor worked much better.

June 14, 2014 10:04 AM

Review by garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Tried many different antidepressants for depression and anxiety. Ended up on 45 Remeron and 2 mg of Abilify. Worked after 2 days. After months of debilitating depression and anxiety! I am so thankful. Was worried about taking an anti psychotic, because I'm not bipolar or psychotic. Got over that as soon as I saw results. Will take this medicine as long as needed. Miracle truly!

June 10, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by Loves abilify.. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Schizophrenia: Struggled with paranoia for 20 years while taking Effexor only. Checked into a psych ward after a manic episode and they added 5mg Abilify. I was skittish for a month but then the paranoia and general suspicious nature just went away.. I still see a shrink every month for upkeep but I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and I swear by this medicine! Clear head and no side effects.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by bigger boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I like Abilify a lot because I used to be extremely irritable. I also couldn't ride my bicycle when I was manic because I would not focus on my safety. Luckily, I now only get hypomanic episodes thanks to Abilify. I feel like I am free to get off of my emotional roller coaster and explore the world outside. The only few problems it gave me were akasthesia and weight gain. I'm 14 years old, and I don't know whether I gained 40 lbs from growing, the medicine, or both.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by ladythelab (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I could not handle the teeth clenching.

May 27, 2014 9:13 AM

Review by Golf Queen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Started on Abilify in addition to Effexor and Lamictal. Immediately had tremors in hands, lips and speech. Gained weight and was anxious. Stopped taking when I ran out; tremors stopped, lost weight and no noticeable negative consequences. Don't know why it was prescribed but it caused more problems than it helped. Side effects were terrible.

May 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I'm not so sure if the medicine was bad, it just didn't work for me. I began to develop muscle twitching.

May 20, 2014 6:07 PM

Review by Olivia A:

For Depression: I had moderate to severe depression on and off, mostly on, for years. Nothing seemed to work, until I tried Abilify. I take about 2-3mg a day. I have been on it for five years now with no side effects and no recurrence of depression symptoms.

May 13, 2014 6:51 AM

Review by beachbumjamie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I take this for depression. It keeps me from having major depression but I have had weight gain, increased acid reflux, and changes in my menstrual cycle. Unfortunately, the weight gain is the deal breaker. I am looking for something that doesn't have that side effect. Otherwise, Abilify would be a 9. The same is with Zoloft. It cures depression but the weight gain is even more rapid. Am looking for something that can do both-stop the depression and prevent the weight gain.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 30, 2014 8:19 AM

Review by ceecee44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed bi-polar and I have tried Lamictal, Lithium, Latuda and I don't even know how many other combinations. Abilify was the only one that has shown results for me. Yes, it tends to make me tired about 4-5 hours after taking it. And it makes me eat like a piggy sometimes, which has caused some weight gain. But nothing to severe. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night, perfect dose for me. It keeps my moods perfectly balanced but I have been taking Abilify since I was 15 and I am now 20 and do not plan on stopping it anytime soon. I have tried that and it did not end well.

April 16, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by ginger103:

For Depression: Abilify worked for me within 1 1/2 weeks, yes I gained weight but I felt the best since my fibromyalgia started. But I have Medicare disability and went into doughnut hole. The $800 price point was MORE than I can handle.

April 15, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Just a guy:

For Depression: So this stuff worked wonders on depression. I couldn't believe how fast it worked and how much better it made me feel, and I mean like in less than a week! BUT the bad news for me, I had a rare side effect, the first one of my psychiatrists patients to ever get it and he had to look it up to confirm that it was being caused by the medication (although I knew it was for sure)... It made me go blind! I don't mean black out blind, but rather it made it so my pupils couldn't dilate and constrict properly so I couldn't focus my eyesight enough to even read anymore. So, 10 days after starting it I stopped and luckily 3 days after stopping my eyes started to return to normal, but that freaked me out beyond belief!!! Worked great for depression.

March 26, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Tyler614:

For Depression: Within the first week of treatment, I experienced an odd tightness in my neck. My muscles seemed unusually tense. My doctor assured me that this would, in time, pass, so I continued taking Abilify. Keep in mind, I was on the lowest dose. After two weeks, the muscle tensity dramatically worsened. My head was forcibly pulled to the left by the muscle tightness. I could not look forward or to the right without using my hands to maneuver my head, fighting my own muscles. I was so scared. After two days of enduring the extreme muscle tension, I discontinued Abilify under the instruction of my doctor. Didn't improve depression either.

March 21, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by sigmapi484 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Agitated State: I took this to replace Wellbutrin, which didn't seem to work. This medication seems to make me very easily agitated not to mention the fatigue.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 17, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by ky girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried many bipolar, mania medicines with none being the right one, however when my doctor prescribed Abilify it helped majorly in my life. I am on a combination of Abilify, Divalproex and Trazadone. All of which work in my favor. It is very comforting to know there is a medicine out there that understands bipolar patients.

March 4, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Bugge:

For Depression: I have treatment resistant major depression. I was already on Zoloft 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg. Still cried all the time and had the sense of despair started Abilify 2mg and now I don't cry for no reason and the sense of despair has been MUCH less often. Also, it got rid of my anxiety almost completely. At first, I had major gas, but that went away. I also sweated like crazy and that has gone away. I would probably be dead if I didn't have this medicine.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by brian t:

For Depression: Been on all sorts of meds for depression for about 15 years. I am 41 now and just started taking Abilify about 8 days ago. I started feeling better after 3 days. I have more energy and just feel so much better. I hope this helps. This medicine really works.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness.

February 21, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This medication has been fantastic. My depression was pretty significant as there was nothing I wanted to do anymore other than go to sleep at night. I felt like my life was gone. Someone took it. After seeing the reviews on here, I started taking Abilify (10 mg) and it works fantastic. I started to notice a difference on the second day and I have now been on it for three weeks. I feel great. I feel like my life is back and I want to do things again. It does make you sleepy so I take it at night before I go to bed. I had a very slight increase in hunger but it was totally manageable. As long as you don't feed your face every time you feel hungry, and you stick to your normal eating amount and schedule, you wont gain any weight.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2014 11:36 AM