User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 20 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 26 reviews 46 medications

5.6
Summary of Abilify reviews 395 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

For Depression "Taking this in conjunction with Wellbutrin and Buspar gave me my life back. My mood is stable, I'm happy, excited, and not over the top either. The trade name really describes this medication well that's for sure. However, this isn't for everyone. Also I must note the first 5 days kind of suck. I felt like my head was spinning and I felt nauseated like I was on a roller coaster all the time. Never threw up though. SO glad I stuck with it though. Well worth it in the end."

Leandre3452 September 1, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I think it works really good for an add on. And its a cute little pink pill."

Waguespack (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I am on 30 mg of Abilify plus Trazodone and Wellbutrin and have to say this combination seems to be what works best for me. I don't feel drugged up but able to function day to day at work and with my family. I experience no side effects with Abilify except possibly some hair loss (but it looks like most if not all those type of drugs do that). Other than that I am grateful this helps."

lintu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I started abilify recently and it makes me restless like my mind is awake but my body is asleep but for the bipolar I feel so much better and like a new person. Besides the restlessness I love this pill."

Caley69 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "After having to pay a but load out of pocket for this i slowly found out it was not for me. It put me in a hyper-manic state. Had to constantly be moving. Would wake up every morning at 7 am, when the sunlight started peaking in my room, regardless of what time I was finally able to pass out. And worst of all, it caused me to have problems using the restroom. No matter how hard I tried or what I did it made me not able to urinate. Some meds don't work on some people as they should."

Woahthere (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Worked wonder within days for my severe ocd."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have noticed since I have been on this medication I have become more happy and able to deal with my depression that I was suffering for a few days. I have noticed differences in my sleep pattern. I go back to bed earlier and I wake up early which can be a problem for me at times because I need lots of energy during the day to keep me going because I will get tired and depressed. My mood starts to slip after 3:00 which can be annoying."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

For Schizophrenia "This medication made me feel like my brain was fried it was so hard to think and it made me feel hyper on the inside but made my body feel tired and lazy it was a horrible feeling and it made my schizophrenia worse!!"

destt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took abilify once, at night, in a psych ward because of my new doctor. I went to bed, like normal. When I woke up in the morning to take vitals I started to get this tightness in my chest that I couldn't place. I was going to ask for my inhaler because I have asthma, but then I heard roaring in my ears and my vision went fuzzy. I didn't know it then but my blood pressure was dropping from a healthy level down to 53/28. I panicked and stood up, and then dropped to the floor like a rock. I was lucky the nurse caught me. My heart stopped. I don't truly remember a lot about that day but that was because I was either unconscious or in a dreamy haze. Ability sent me into anaphylactic shock and almost killed me. No ratings lower than one, sadly."

NeverTakeThisDrug July 31, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm a 22 year old female, recently diagnosed with bipolar, I took this medication for a month and it was pure hell, made me an emotional wreck (never was emotional) crying out of nowhere, made my anxiety even worse, made me extremely tired, made me paranoid to the point where I thought I was going to die. Over all I have no positive notes to tell. Didn't work for me but hey everyone is different."

Miaaaaa July 29, 2015

For Depression "Well I was on Wellbutrin, Ciprolex, and Carbamazapine to start with, but was still having issues with some symptoms hanging around, such as lack of motivation and aches and pains.. When my psychiatrist put me on the Abilify, he warned me that I might LOSE weight. I laughed at this because usually these types of meds have the opposite effect.. and according to a lot of the reviews, that seems to be the case. But sure enough, within a couple weeks I had started noticing that my clothes were getting looser and my family started commenting their concern (I was already a healthy weight before).. I ended up going off of the Abilify because 1 and a half months later I had lost over 20lbs and literally underweight. Scary stuff! Great otherwise.."

lugubrious_1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I am on a much higher dose than most others here, 10 mg. I do have bipolar illness, perhaps that is why my cocktail also includes 400 mg lamictal and 25 mcg cytomel. I am stable after eight years with this combo. I still have manic episodes, but much more manageable, thank god! What is also nice is that the abilify is available as a generic drug. Beforehand it was $80/ month, even with excellent insurance. Worth a try!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2015

For Depression "Oh my godness this sucks. I have delusional disorder and this doesn't helped me with my paranoias nor with my depression."

omggggggg July 24, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I took Abilify for only three days, half of the minimum dosage a day, which is 2,5 mg, still enough to cause me a collapse in which I almost died! I quit immediately but I still experienced heart problems for the following two months."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been 4 months on this drug and it wiped out my depression. It started to work after 1 week of usage. I gained 14 Kgs and a little bit manic (but supressed by depakote). I love this abilify it saved my life"

Pakbesar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "The medicine helped tremendously with my paranoid. However, I had insomnia and gained 45 pounds the six months I was on the medication. For health risks, I had to be taken off the medication."

OlivuaJade2306 July 16, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was VERY hesitant on taking this medication, and like most of you reading these reviews, I too was scared of what it might or might not do. All I can say, in 3 days (2mg dose) there was a huge difference in my attitude, calmness and overall presence in me and my thoughts. Amazing!!!! I have so much energy and love doing things again. It has been one week, and for those of you who are affraid to gain weight; you must know, I am losing weight. It has actually decreased my apitite, however that might be because I am cautious of it and find other ways to curb cravings. One side effect I am having is NOT sleeping, although we are going through a bit of a heat wave and even air conditioning is not helping. Good Luck!"

Amazing Finally SO HAPPY July 16, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I first tried this drug about five years ago and have been on it consistently for two to three years. The good: this drug really changed my life. I'd tried a laundry list of antidepressants and they were mostly like popping sugar pills--they didn't do much at all. My psychiatrist suggested adding Abilify and it did something that no drug had ever done for me: it stabilized my mood (which was all over the map) . It allowed me to be happy and productive for the first time ever in my adult life. The bad: I have consistently gained weight every year I've been on the drug, with no sign of a plateau. I'm experimentally discontinuing it to see if I can lose the weight (which is, counter-productively, making me depressed again)."

Greenbeans (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 12, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "While this medication is quite effective in controlling my depression, I've gained 25 pounds despite reducing calories. This in itself has cause me to be depressed. I crave sweets and I feel blood sugar spikes. I do not have diabetes. I am an otherwise healthy 48 year old. I am on the lowest dose possible. I have been on the drug for two years so do not be fooled that this may be a temporary condition for some. Exercise has done nothing to reduce the weight. My knees and back are suffering. I am on a 1200 calorie diet and still slightly overweight. My doctor tells me it's a price to pay for being emotionally healthy. It's hard to accept. There must be something out there to counteract the weight gain."

Jojo67 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 27, 2015

For Depression "This medicine works great. The price point is high, but you guys don't have to pay it. The manufacturer has a coupon that you take to the pharmacy that you can get online. It reduces the copay to just $5.00."

Pickles1969 June 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I took 2.5 milligrams of abilify for a month, then the generic came out and I had to use that because the insurance wouldn't pay for brand name. It was the worst experience I've had, I couldn't stay awake so I started taking it at night time still really bad result so I called my insurance company and I called my doctor and I'm now back on the regular abilify brand name 5 milligrams. However I'm afraid of the weight gain I've already gained weight on Cymbalta and I'm afraid I'll gain more on the abilify however it does make me active enough for hopefully I'll be able to walk a lot of it off or something, does anybody have any suggestions to keeping the weight off?"

vena Dee June 19, 2015

For Depression "I started on 2.5 mg and it really worked in conjunction with Prozac to pull me out of deep depression. Eventually my doctor said it was ok to reduce to 1.25mg since I had gained weight. I eventually gained more weight, my sugars and cholesterol rose, and I shake slightly now. I decided to stop completely and that was a BIG mistake. This drug has serious withdrawal symptoms, even at a low dose like mine. The recommended weaning process is 10% less for 30 days, than a 30 day waiting period to adjust. I am currently on 1.125 mg and I'm starting to have some withdrawal symptoms, but not too bad like stopping cold turkey. I experienced panic attacks, anxiety, fearfulness, agoraphobia, and nausea."

RoQ June 16, 2015

For Depression "Abilify worked wonders for my chronic depression BUT I was sleeping heaps and gained 35 kilos in two years. No, I wasn't eating much! started only eating one meal a day when the weight started. It was not about food. Prior to abilify I went to gym four x week. Gained weight despite what I ate n how much I exercised. I ended up quitting the gym and now my heads straight but I am obese and suffer poor self esteem. Eh big price for my sanity since I detest being fat. The pill itself does work though and treats it"

bpp June 11, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I'm still hoping this drug will actually produce some results, but it hasn't made a difference yet. What it has done though is make me feel REALLY lethargic, to the point I stopped taking it in the morning as I was directed, because I'd be unable to function at all. But now that I take it at night, I still feel lethargic, but I cannot actually fall asleep or stay asleep. I just feel like a drugged out mess. Also, I read this can cause weight gain and excessive hunger, but I'm the opposite. I have zero appetite. I'm not impressed yet, but I'm encouraged by so many others who say it's helped them. So I'm gonna try a little longer."

realforus (taken for less than 1 month) June 7, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "so far so good. after having been on a high dosage of Effexor XR for several years and hoping to ween off of that med I ended up in the hospital with a major depressive breakdown. the hospital psychiatrist prescribed 40mg fluoxetine and after 6 weeks that wasn't touching my disorder. my new psychiatrist had me try Latuda 40mg at first and that med made me feel tense and horrible. now we are trying a low dosage of Abilify along with the 40mg fluoxetine."

wired bird (taken for less than 1 month) June 5, 2015