User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 25 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 35 reviews 46 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 439 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is horrendous. I spent a week in a psychiatric ward the year I was twenty, and they titrated it up to ten milligrams by the time I was let out. I was a complete zombie, exhausted all the time - could fall asleep anywhere, any time of the day - so anxious that I had to keep moving my body to function. Kept crossing and uncrossing my legs, wringing my hands, etc. I was so numbed out I simply didn't enjoy life. I don't know how I managed to not kill myself. This thing will wreck you."

MakaMovingOn February 5, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Having increased hallucinations and paranoia, and feeling isolated. this is making it hard to get out with people, and I have been on 10mg. Good things are I am feeling more active in general, taking better care of myself. Not too happy with the amount of voices that occur when on this med. It has made me more hungry, and restless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Whilst taking Abilify,I had terrible insomnia. I never slept for more than 2 hours at a time. I reached te stage where I slept wherever I felt sleepy. I never slept in bed for the 6 months I took this horrible drug. I gained a lot of weight, probably due to the lack of sleep. Should have stopped sooner."

lngrhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

For Autism "My 18 year old son has been on 2 mg for 15 months; he was never aggressive, but got irritable after our divorce, he started having issues puking with anxiety. He continues to have issues with repeated vomiting. He has not gained weight and I am now thinking that is because he vomits so much. :("

JaxMomma (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016

For Depression "I started on this medication just 3 days ago at 2 mg. In conjunction with celexa 40 mg and 90 mg cymbalta. I have noticed some mild nausea but nothing else yet. To the 12 yr old girl, my doctor and pharmacy said this medication abilify should not be taken by anyone under 18 years."

Parkerbelle January 18, 2016

For Depression "I started this medication when I was about 11 or 12 and took it for 6 months. It made me so anxious and so restless I remember having to get up in the middle of class several times to get a drink of water to try and stop my anxiety. I had several episodes of this and always felt that I had to be moving. Maybe I was too young to be on the medicine though..."

JBrown92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Took care of the positive effects of schizo and most of the negative ones. Gave me medicine induced akathisia, which I take propranolol for. That is the only reason I gave 8/10"

MDizzle January 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I am a 48 year-old woman who has had bipolar I disorder since I was 12. It hit me severely and I have had a very difficult time with it. During one of the latest bouts I tried Abilify at 2 mg and definitely felt a bump up in my mood. I was so so excited and totally would've stayed on it except my appetite increased to such a degree that I immediately started gaining weight. Food was like crack - it became utterly and completely addictive. I could not stop eating! I would try and control it for a few days but I was utterly and totally unable to stop. An improvement in mood was worth 10 pounds but at 13 pounds in 8 weeks and no stopping I had to stop. Super disappointed. It is the only medication where I felt immediate relief."

Elizabeth29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

For Depression "I've been suffering with dibilitating depression, anxiety, and OCD for over 20 years. I've was in remission for 8 years, but this time it came back with a vengeance! I was really losing hope. I have tried every single antidep out there, and the ones that worked very well before, don't work anymore. I've been on a roller coaster and fighting for over 7 years to get my life back. It's been a living hell. I could hardly get out of bed, taking a shower was too much, even putting my seatbelt on seemed like a chore. If you have ever suffered, you know what I'm talking about! I was put on Abilify to help with my Effexor just three days ago and I already feel like I can conquer the world...I just pray it lasts! "

TexasSunshine January 10, 2016

For Schizophrenia "My son was started on abilify after 11 years on zyprexa. First he was zombie like and now a year later he is paranoid, delutional and a lot of cognitive deficits .Worst drug ever!!!!"

kittygiggles January 4, 2016

For Depression "This medication is amazing, but after 2 months I gained 20lbs. :/"

Cheraldi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Took this for depression and bipolar, made my mood plummet to the point feeling absolutely nothing inside. Can't move, watch tv no enjoyment from anything. Horrendous medication."

Oliver Reilly (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

For Depression "I was feeling like I was in a hole and couldn't get out of it. Nothing was working. I am now on lamictal and abilify and within a week I was feeling better. I take them both at night I don't know if that makes a difference, but I always wake up early with lots of ENERGY and ready to do whatever. Which before all I could do was lay in bed. I hope I don't gain any weight, I haven't yet and haven't experienced any over eating and I'm on 10mg abilify and 200mg of lamictal. So they have both worked wonders for my depression. With no side effects that I can see yet."

skunky344 December 13, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have taken abilify for almost a year now on and off because it makes me gain weight. I'm now on lamictal, but other than that I did a lot of research to make sure that the abilify is making me gain weight and IT IS!!!!! I gained almost 15 lb in 2 weeks and I could never stop eating. Other than that abilify didn't work for me long term only short term"

Malota December 13, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "For me it was a wonder drug. Started at 2.5mg. Now up to 20. The only draw back is the weight gain. I may consider weaning off because of it."

SueZQ42 (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 9, 2015

For Schizophrenia "This medicine is really helpful with voices but my paranoia and depression has got worse"

anomynouss (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 9, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I have been on Abilify on two separate occasions along with other medications to help with depression and bipolar. BOTH times was a disaster. This time I've tried to tough out the side effects (working on three months now) and I still can't deal with the way it makes me feel. I feel flat, tired, depressed, low motivation, worthless, hopeless. You name it. I see my doctor tomorrow And plan to demand stopping Abilify."

Courageousdad07 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

For Autism "My 8 year old has been on abilify for almost a year now. She has gained about 30 lbs, but she is very active and still fit. She is autistic and has severe aggression tendencies toward herself and others. She had been on respiridol before and it did nothing for her. Now, she takes 11 ml and we increase it 1 ml every four weeks until she is more stable. She has greatly improved on this medication but still has a long way to go."

Red SmS December 6, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "This drug was a life saver. I was put on this medication after going through a tough bout of post partum depression right after having the baby. If I hadn't gotten help when I did I'm sure it was becoming psychosis. After taking Ability along with anti-depressant and smtg for anxiety for a couple weeks I was finally able to see the light again. Wasn't sure I'd ever be normal again but thankfully I was able to figure it out and function again."

Gungunsam (taken for 1 to 2 years) December 3, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I was recently diagnosed schizoaffective, at 30 years of age. I've been on 30 different medications, ranging in all of the psychotropic med. spectrum. Abilify, at 10 mg., has stopped the; delusions, paranoia, depression and visuals. I am in full remission with the aid of paxil and remeron. Initially, abilify can cause some insomnia. Ask for a sleep aid. I used remeron for sleep. I highly recommend Abilify for schizoaffective disorder. 1 week should have results. 2 weeks peak plasma concentration. Peace"

B strong (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 9, 2015

For Depression "My lexapro stopped working so I was switched to prozac. While prozac did help some it didn't help enough. My psychiatrist prescribed abilify at 2mg to add on to 60mg of prozac. Within 2 days I was pulled out of the dark hole I was in and my crying spells were gone. This pill is a miracle pill."

LALDO November 9, 2015

For Depression "My anxiety and then depression began about 4 months ago. I didn't want to get out of bed, and had compulsive negative thoughts, no energy or motivation, and couldn't sleep, lost 20 pounds. I was prescribed Lexapro generic. This med did almost nothing for 3 months. Within a week of adding Abilify generic, most symptoms changed. I feel much better, have appetite, better energy, appetite, optimism, more like me, and motivated to get out of bed when I wake up...which is great."

Rand1 November 8, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I love this medication, changed my life. I take with Wellburrin 300mg. Together they are very effective. Only side effect is dizziness at times when standing."

Crazytrain (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Did nothing. Used for 2 months"

Anon76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Ive been taking this med for about a month now. The only side effects that have really happened is light upset stomach and restless feelings during the day. I feel like I always need to be moving. Its not bad given some of the side effects ive experienced from other drugs this has to be the least problematic so far. My mood has become much better and the depression I started out with is gone. Although I have not had a manic phase yet I can't say how its treating those its only been a month. I would recommend this for bi polar probably combined with another medication to help with the restlessness and hard time sleeping."

SAMfffff October 23, 2015