User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 15 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 37 reviews 47 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 460 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "Took Abilify along with Lithium. Abilify is very helpful for mania mood swings. I also noticed that when "voices" or loud thoughts in my mind were disruptive, Abilify was able to remove those. As most drugs, there were some side effects I did not like. Abilify did cause me to feel a bit dazed or doped, which also caused sleepiness during the day. It did not help me with depression, and seemed to contribute to it because of the sleepiness and dazed feeling. However, this drug was effective with the mania, and handy to have is the loud thoughts or "voices" are a problem."

Manuel231 (taken for 2 to 5 years) May 15, 2016

For Depression "Been on the drug for a few months now put on 2 stone and not happy about the weight at all as always have battled with my weight. Everyone says they have noticed the difference in me but think it's just the weight that's getting me down."

LOl lol May 12, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I'm 29 and was diagnosed with bipolar disorder at 22 years old. I had bipolar 1 but with abilify and lamictal, I now have bipolar 2. I forget a lot of things, have become lazy, have gained 25 pounds in a year, have low motivation, tired all the time and have been feeling depressed. I plan on not taking abilify anymore because I feel as if I've lost myself ... I don't feel unique."

Xstarsnstripesx (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 5, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "I take Abilify 2mg along with Wellbutrin 300mg as well and feel so much better. No side affects at all. I was on Risperidone which was AWFUL! I think this medication must work differently when taken with Wellbutrin because I noticed a big difference for the better!"

Christine001 May 4, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Hated it. 55 pound weight gain in 6 months. Completely ineffective for psychotic symptoms (delusions). Severe anxiety (prescribed 3 xanex per day to cope) and depression. Not for me."

Nance34 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 2, 2016

For Depression "I have suffered depression most of my life and finally was "diagnosed" by a psychopharmacologist in 2011. I have been on pretty much every antidepressant known to man over the past 20 years and finally was put on a cocktail of Lithium, Prozac, Wellbutrin and Conazepam (at bedtime). I had also taken Abilify at this time for about 1 year but the doctor felt I probably didn't need it anymore as I was stable. However, for about the past 2 years I have been suffering from MAJOR fatigue and some days I was unable to go work as I was so tired. My GP has just put me back on Abilify 5 mg and I feel fantastic. I have so much energy and I have found happiness and enjoyment in the things I had lost interest in."

Whanes (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "My 6 year old son, has been battling some "mental demons", he has been hospitilized twice, for mood swings, severe outbursts and psychosis..I still do not have an exact diagnosis. He has been on 3 different medications with minimal effectiveness.. I am a single mother, and my life has been pure hell the last 2 years dealing with these circumstances...I was at my end. I was in a complete state of perplexion on what to do...The doctors prescribed Abilify..I can not believe the difference it has made...My son enjoys his life! He smiles now! He is sweet natured! He tells me at least once a day, how much better he feels! It's only been 2 weeks, I am confident that with constant monitoring and encourgement that he will only progress from here!"

Progression April 29, 2016

For Depression "I was told by my doctor that I might gain weight. He said that the signal in the brain that says, "Thank you, I've had enough!" which is what I always go by, and it keeps my weight steady, is DELAYED. It's TRUE. he says portion control is the key. We shall see. I'm trying but I've already gained about three pounds and notice that I eat way more. I'll let you know if I get a handle on it. The drug is THE one added to my cocktail that made the difference."

Barbay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I developed severe akathisia (restlessness) while taking this medication. I had a difficult time sitting in one place for more than a few minutes and it was absolutely exhausting. I also developed insomnia and TD (tardive dyskinesia) and altogether I would say this medication was very difficult to tolerate. I was happy to be taken off of it."

Nicky890 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 17, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Abilify is the only antipsychotic that works for me. The extreme hunger, lethargy, restlessness, and memory problems I had on other antipsychotics are nonexistent with abilify. I was in the middle of a severe depressive episode when I took it and it only took several weeks for me to be back to normal functioning. I sleep better, have more energy, and fewer mood swings. This medication is great. I find that it is more "activating" while other drugs in the same class like Zyprexa are more "tranquilizing.""

NHelm (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

For Agitated State "I'm taking abilify with an antidepressant to stabilize my mood. It just makes me shakey and agitated. Before Abilify my mood would be up and down. But now I'm just down and agitated all the time."

Aries100 April 2, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "It worked so well for me, except for the weight gain. It worked perfectly for my mood accept that within the first 2 months I was on it I gained about 20 pounds. I kept on it because it worked so well and we played around with some other Meds that might have balanced it out but it was just not worth it, I ended up gaining about 30-40 pounds from the whole thing and I am a rather small person. I am now on Lamotrigine and it works perfectly. In all it worked out pretty well, just had some unpleasant side affects for me."

Sasha1234 March 26, 2016

For Schizophrenia "Within 1 week of taking 1 tablet , my auditory hallucinations had nearly disappeared and then increased the amount to 1 1/2 tablets and was and am amazed this product. Its giving me my life back again......"

Anonymous March 25, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medication though helped...it was not worth the weight gain..it really wasn't. I took it a while back and it was not worth it. I also found that it made me feel a little suicidal."

Not Worth The Energy. (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 12, 2016

For Major Depressive Disorder "Tolerated 5mg so was bumped up to 10, tolerated that and was bumped up to 15. AT this point, I'm so confused and disoriented by the Abilify that I can't tell the difference between real life and the fever dreams it gives me."

vitalis644 (taken for less than 1 month) March 10, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine has done so much for me. I've had horrible "mood swings" for years and they just kept getting worse. I would also cry myself to sleep every night for years and years. I always felt irritated and annoyed with everything. I would yell and scream, get hyper and crash into a pile on the floor, be suicidal one minute and happy the next. I was all over the place. This medicine has done so much for me."

Kome (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 3, 2016

For Depression "On 2 mg. It made me feel empty inside. Like things didn't bring excitement, adrenaline. Everything seemed blank. Had major sweet cravings for the first month or two but it leveled off. The most sweet cravings were at 5 mg a day. Really brought reality into full focus. Got it a pharmacy that use a different supplier that's cheaper."

Louann pouvie February 29, 2016

For Depression "Our 12 year old son was having terrible anxiety and could not get along with anyone at school. He did not trust anyone and would not listen to anyone either. He suggested suicide more than once but thankfully never went through with it. We regularly saw a therapist but would not listen. We reluctantly decided to add the smallest dose of abilify to his depression medicine. In approximately 2 days we saw an immediate change. He seems more "balanced" and the anxiety level down significantly. It has only been 2 weeks....but so far so good."

jwjbs February 27, 2016

For Depression "Night and day positive effect"

Afortg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Horrible side effects. Triggered a depressive episode and could not sit or stand still at all when on this med. Just rocked back and forth. Hated it."

Bipolar type Schizzoaffective (taken for less than 1 month) February 21, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This medicine made me so sick. Every single night I took it (which was only 5 nights cause I was that sick) I was up tossing and turning, sweating meanwhile it was 5 degrees out, severe dry mouth - to the point I could barely talk, throwing up & severe head aches."

Rencapo February 16, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "This drug is horrendous. I spent a week in a psychiatric ward the year I was twenty, and they titrated it up to ten milligrams by the time I was let out. I was a complete zombie, exhausted all the time - could fall asleep anywhere, any time of the day - so anxious that I had to keep moving my body to function. Kept crossing and uncrossing my legs, wringing my hands, etc. I was so numbed out I simply didn't enjoy life. I don't know how I managed to not kill myself. This thing will wreck you."

MakaMovingOn February 5, 2016

For Schizoaffective Disorder "Having increased hallucinations and paranoia, and feeling isolated. this is making it hard to get out with people, and I have been on 10mg. Good things are I am feeling more active in general, taking better care of myself. Not too happy with the amount of voices that occur when on this med. It has made me more hungry, and restless."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2016

For Bipolar Disorder "Whilst taking Abilify,I had terrible insomnia. I never slept for more than 2 hours at a time. I reached te stage where I slept wherever I felt sleepy. I never slept in bed for the 6 months I took this horrible drug. I gained a lot of weight, probably due to the lack of sleep. Should have stopped sooner."

lngrhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

For Autism "My 18 year old son has been on 2 mg for 15 months; he was never aggressive, but got irritable after our divorce, he started having issues puking with anxiety. He continues to have issues with repeated vomiting. He has not gained weight and I am now thinking that is because he vomits so much. :("

JaxMomma (taken for 1 to 2 years) January 19, 2016