User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 14 reviews 44 medications

Summary of Abilify reviews 338 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

Review by Just Plain Nuts (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Abilify worked pretty good for five years with Prozac. But then I became morbidly obese, with elevated bad lipids and prediabetes. Also, I was constantly in fear of tardive dyskinesia. I no longer take it.

November 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by dalo (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Schizophrenia: On the good side it only had one side effect for me, and that was a little bit of a increased heart beat I could feel and it made me feel like I was going to a concert or just won a prize, it felt not too bad knowing the other medicines out there for schizophrenia.

November 12, 2014 8:12 PM

Review by Psycho :) (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Beware Abilify, watch your weight. I stayed on Abilify for 7 months faithfully, hoping that the pros would outweigh the cons. The result? I gained 90 lbs in 7 months and this weight does not "shed" with discontinued use, I'll be working out hard to lose this. I'm only 25.

November 4, 2014 5:14 PM

Review by StarryNight8496 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Schizophrenia: My experience with abilify has been great because I no longer have schizophrenia or psychosis. I have been on this medicatiom since 2008 and I have never had any side effects at all, which is brilliant! I also feel so much better since I was diagnosed, like I am a new person.

November 2, 2014 1:24 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This has helped extremely with my bad mood swings and irritability but am having nightmares and waking up multiple time during the night feeling restless.

October 24, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by cannabis psychosis:

For Schizophrenia: I have had three psychotic breaks, all cannabis related. This medicine helped me control the last one at 20 mg while no other medicine could. The only downside are robot-like hands.

October 22, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Kenzie444:

For Depression: I have had it all basically. Had a manic episode in 2009, and then a repeat in 2011, but not as severe. I was okay before that had had no problems with anything maybe a little anxiety. Now that I am older and on my own most days I've had some pretty rocky months, and I was concerned and a bit frightened that the depression would rip me up. I was hesitant to try it because I take Ativan during the day. My doctor suggested Abilify. I have bipolar as well and can't take any antidepressants. He told me to start with a quarter for a week, and really thought it wouldn't work. It was a miracle. I then started taking 2mg at night and have been noticing I've been waking up earlier. Doing things that I would hold off till 3pm. Wonderful.

October 17, 2014 9:20 AM

Review by notpsychoticanymore (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Agitated State: I was diagnosed with toxic psychosis due to cannabis abuse and this medicine saved my life while no other medicine could end my delusions and paranoia. I am very thankful.

October 16, 2014 12:05 AM

Review by Valkyrie66:

For Bipolar Disorder: Have been on Abilify for two weeks and my personality has changed drastically. I went from being chilled out and quite okay on Seroquel and Effexor but wanted to try Abilify to combat weight gain. In the two weeks I've been on it I've swung from hypomanic to aggressive and downright selfish. I did things I wouldn't normally do that has hurt my relationship with my partner and I've also been spending like crazy. Probably should stop but will consult psychiatrist first to see what she says.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by unicornfairierainbow (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been on Abilify (10mg) for the past 3 weeks. It has been very helpful with my psychosis/hallucinations. I have only hallucinated twice in the past 3 weeks. There have been some complications though. I have experience side effects of nausea, light-headedness, being constantly tired, and dizziness. My depression seems to be lightening up every day and that it wonderful.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 10, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by ignored by drs, drowsy from abilify (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Depression: I have social anxiety and depression. However, taking Abilify for about 8 years, I stopped drawing and was extremely drowsy. Had I not also been on Concerta, I would have been asleep the whole time.

October 7, 2014 8:43 AM

Review by FinallySomethingThatWorks:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I have been dealing with depression/major depressive disorder for 10 years. Finally I had enough of the depressive episodes and anxiety. I'm taking Abilify 2mg (AM) and Seroquel 200mg (PM). This is the best I've felt in years. I also haven't gained weight, I did have some dizziness but that lasted about a week, and is now gone. It took about two weeks to start seeing a difference in my mood.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 29, 2014 12:37 PM

Review by SandyBlonde:

For Depression: Caused me to feel tired with no affect at all.

September 18, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by Dont'StandCloseToMe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: No effect after 3 months on it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by maroe (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Didnt work no change n mood

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 10, 2014 9:27 AM

Review by Suki S (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Major Depressive Disorder: After taking several antidepressants across medicine classes, my Dr. Prescribed Abilify to take with Wellbutrin. I took the Abilify for 4 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. I experienced severe panic and insomnia. I am an anxious person, but I began getting extremely anxious and panicked about weird, insignificant things that had never bothered me before. Through my insurance, this medication was $75 every month. I think that would be worth it if it helped, but a complete waste to feel worse.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2014 8:42 AM

Review by AnonAbilify (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: When I was younger I was put on Abilify in combination with antidepressants. I've been off of it for about 5 years or so now. As I recall it didn't do much for me, however my weight skyrocketed during the time I was on it, and it stuck with me even after I was off of it. At my worst I was about 250 pounds. I've lost a lot of weight since then, however, I still struggle with my weight today which creates a self-esteem issue that adds to my depression.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 23, 2014 9:42 PM

Review by Anonymousasss:

For Major Depressive Disorder: I am on Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Topamax for severe depression. I was still having depressive episodes and was placed on 2mg of Abilify. I instantly felt like a new person - what a relief! The "honeymoon" period wore off fairly quickly and I had to find my correct therapeutic dose at 20mg daily. With this combination of medicines I have been depression free for about a year! For me this is very unusual and I highly recommend Abilify. I have had no side effects.

August 14, 2014 10:57 AM

Review by David Lawliet:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Abilify for eight months now. Although it made me gain 15-20kg (something like 33-40 lbs I believe?), my experience is quite positive. The sadness from my major depressive episode, as well as my suicidal thoughts, have been almost annihilated. The reason why I rated it as a six is because it didn't help ease the great fatigue I have. But it helped a lot, that is for sure.

August 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by suzisavage54:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Treatment resistant depression. This medicine was the best I've tried yet. A little restless at first, but that turned into feeling somewhat exhilarated, having a stimulant effect. I dressed up every day, was social, glad to wake up. Psych nurse said I was so bright she'd need to wear shades. Alas it wore off, but everything does. No side effects, no withdrawal. A great medicine.

August 12, 2014 2:55 PM

Review by MJude (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: So many negative side effects. This interacts HORRIBLY with THC, especially as the THC wears off, and exponentially exacerbates the intensity and length of any depressive come-down effects. In my experience it interacts with alcohol in about the same way. Also it can make women in-orgasmic.

August 12, 2014 3:52 AM

Review by :):):

For Bipolar Disorder: I was ready to walk out on my husband because of his hateful stressful presence. I sent him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and started on Abilify. It was a lifesaver for our marriage and family. He is happy, fun, and hopeful again. I thank God my prayers were answered.

August 10, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by Attracta54 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: Gained 60 lbs in under 9 months while taking this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by graysonnnnn:

For Bipolar Disorder: I took Abilify for one month. I had restlessness, a feeling that I needed to do something. It was a good thing in a way. At first I was more irritable but that subsided substantially after a few days. It made me feel a lot more calmer and in control of my emotions without making me feel like I was suppressing them. This is the first pharmaceutical medicine I have tried to treat my condition and it definitely worked better than the natural remedies such as St John's Wort, same, and passion flower. It even helped more than meditation. I have just switched to Latuda because Abilify gave me chest pains. If the pain was anywhere else I would of definitely stayed on the medicine because it worked. It helped me gain 10 lb which is good for me.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by Jamesiv4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Major Depressive Disorder: Weight gain and fatigue.

July 29, 2014 6:34 AM