User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Abilify reviews 296 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

Review by ginger103: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Abilify worked for me within 1 1/2 weeks, yes I gained weight but I felt the best since my fibromyalgia started. But I have Medicare disability and went into doughnut hole. The $800 price point was MORE than I can handle.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 15, 2014 2:02 PM
Review by Just a guy: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: So this stuff worked wonders on depression. I couldn't believe how fast it worked and how much better it made me feel, and I mean like in less than a week! BUT the bad news for me, I had a rare side effect, the first one of my psychiatrists patients to ever get it and he had to look it up to confirm that it was being caused by the medication (although I knew it was for sure)... It made me go blind! I don't mean black out blind, but rather it made it so my pupils couldn't dilate and constrict properly so I couldn't focus my eyesight enough to even read anymore. So, 10 days after starting it I stopped and luckily 3 days after stopping my eyes started to return to normal, but that freaked me out beyond belief!!! Worked great for depression.

March 26, 2014 4:45 AM
Review by Tyler614: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Within the first week of treatment, I experienced an odd tightness in my neck. My muscles seemed unusually tense. My doctor assured me that this would, in time, pass, so I continued taking Abilify. Keep in mind, I was on the lowest dose. After two weeks, the muscle tensity dramatically worsened. My head was forcibly pulled to the left by the muscle tightness. I could not look forward or to the right without using my hands to maneuver my head, fighting my own muscles. I was so scared. After two days of enduring the extreme muscle tension, I discontinued Abilify under the instruction of my doctor. Didn't improve depression either.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 11:07 PM
Review by sigmapi484 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: I took this to replace Wellbutrin, which didn't seem to work. This medication seems to make me very easily agitated not to mention the fatigue.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 17, 2014 10:22 PM
Review by ky girl (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I have tried many bipolar, mania medicines with none being the right one, however when my doctor prescribed Abilify it helped majorly in my life. I am on a combination of Abilify, Divalproex and Trazadone. All of which work in my favor. It is very comforting to know there is a medicine out there that understands bipolar patients.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2014 9:21 PM
Review by Bugge: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I have treatment resistant major depression. I was already on Zoloft 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg. Still cried all the time and had the sense of despair started Abilify 2mg and now I don't cry for no reason and the sense of despair has been MUCH less often. Also, it got rid of my anxiety almost completely. At first, I had major gas, but that went away. I also sweated like crazy and that has gone away. I would probably be dead if I didn't have this medicine.

February 28, 2014 11:19 AM
Review by brian t: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Been on all sorts of meds for depression for about 15 years. I am 41 now and just started taking Abilify about 8 days ago. I started feeling better after 3 days. I have more energy and just feel so much better. I hope this helps. This medicine really works.

February 25, 2014 8:44 PM
Review by Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 21, 2014 11:04 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: This medication has been fantastic. My depression was pretty significant as there was nothing I wanted to do anymore other than go to sleep at night. I felt like my life was gone. Someone took it. After seeing the reviews on here, I started taking Abilify (10 mg) and it works fantastic. I started to notice a difference on the second day and I have now been on it for three weeks. I feel great. I feel like my life is back and I want to do things again. It does make you sleepy so I take it at night before I go to bed. I had a very slight increase in hunger but it was totally manageable. As long as you don't feed your face every time you feel hungry, and you stick to your normal eating amount and schedule, you wont gain any weight.

February 19, 2014 11:36 AM
Review by DavenDallas (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: My stepson is now 13 years old and has been on 5mg dosage of Abilify for about 2-3 years. We discovered it when we saw a commercial for a study involving autistic children with aggressive tendencies. Since then, his behavior has improved 100% at both home and school. The only side effect, as mentioned by others, is weight gain. To this I say, take a more active role in your kid's diet and force him/her to exercise. This will offset the side-effects while still reaping the benefits.

February 7, 2014 11:36 AM
Review by Ianguitarist: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 19, 2014 1:48 AM
Review by AliPaige (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine did not work for me. I suffer from Bipolar with mood swings and panic disorder. I went up to 10mg and It seemed to help my mood but it pushed my anxiety off the charts. I was a shaky mess while taking it and also unable to focus and complete tasks. Went off within 4 weeks.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
January 10, 2014 7:34 PM
Review by Lolooooo23 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Abilify has truly changed my life. Before I started taking it I was crying every day for hours a day, I felt a sadness for what seemed like no reason, and it just would not go away. I started with 2.5mg and felt no change but at 5mg I felt a drastic improvement in my mood. I take it in addition to Adderall XR for ADHD. I was taking Vistaril for my anxiety but that doesn't do anything but make you ridiculously tired, so I just got Klonopin, going to give that a try. My only drawback to Abilify is that for me it makes me very tired so I take it at night.

January 8, 2014 11:31 PM
Review by Bipolar Bear (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: This medicine made me nervous all the time, I was a wreck, I could never sit still. It took away the mania and psychosis but left me suicidal and depressed so my psychiatrist stopped it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
December 27, 2013 5:49 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Works great, but watch for weight gain.

December 23, 2013 5:27 PM
Review by Mr. Enduring: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Agitated State: I was prescribed this medication because of the extreme stresses associated with a chronic disabling disease called relapsing polychondritis. It has destroyed all of my joints, cervical spine damage, ataxia, and the loss of everything in my life that I had worked 30 years to obtain. All gone. I am the type of person who is more angry, agitated, infuriated, by the effects of this condition than I am sad or depressed about it. I was also in chronic pain daily too since May of 2012. NO painkillers would help this type of pains. I can NOT take methotrexate, DMARDs, biologics, only prednisone, a great diet, and an occasional NSAID. Then my Doc gave me this. I am so happy at this moment (not) to feel the burning sensations, squeezing, aching, pain.

December 7, 2013 9:27 PM
Review by MrRowland: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: Abilify is not for everyone. I experienced severe personality change within a month. The story: I have had bipolar disorder since I was 13 and have been in treatment for 9 years. When Abilify came out, we tried Abilify to "bridge" getting me off atypical antipsychotics and onto a mood stabilizer. The 20 day experience was horrible. My personality changed radically. I didn't know myself anymore. Friends, my lover, my boss, all begged me to stop. I felt weird on it, not better. Severe personality changes are possible with Abilify. I called my psych, we stopped the medicine and moved onward. Those 20 days were destructive, but my friends & job were kind and life returned to normal.

December 6, 2013 6:13 PM
Review by involved mom (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: After much deliberation and many, many meetings, we finally decided to put our 7 year old on low dose Abilify. My child is officially diagnosed PDD-NOS, which is an autism umbrella disorder. At first the low 2mg dose seemed pretty effective in controlling the anxiety and outburst. However; when our doctor prescribed a higher dose, 5 mg, the exhaustion and weight gain were out of control. My child gained roughly 45 pounds in six months. Even when we stopped the medication for the summer months. Abilify seems to make my child very hungry, but unable to convert any calories into energy, simply storing all food as fat. We came to the decision that the side effects were out weighing the desired effects, and are trying a new medication.

November 18, 2013 5:35 PM
Review by samnm: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I feel the Abilify working on my depression. I am singing and happier then I have been in a while. I was taking Invega before and that did not help me at all. I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1. This medicine has lessened my mania but has not vanished it completely. I do not see any side effects with this medicine!

November 17, 2013 5:48 PM
Review by samanthamora09: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: Today is my first day taking the medication and within two hours I am ready to pass out. I feel so sleepy and its not really "regulating" my moods. In fact, I'm more aggravated than usual and going off on everybody. I also feel slightly nauseous and dizzy.

November 15, 2013 9:19 AM
Review by MS.ENERGY: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: i have been depressed most my life, it runs rampant in my family, i really dont have much to be depressed about, i have a good life, i have some bumps, been taking "SERTRALINE 200MG/DAILY", FOREVER, I WAS STUCK, THERE WERE days i would stare out my window for 8 hours doing nothing, zero energy, zero interest in anything, had to force myself to do things, thought some of this was due to being menopausal, but the doc gave me abilify, started with2mg, about 2 weeks later i felt something but not enough, went to 4mg a day with my depression pills, im telling u in one week,, someone turn the lite on, amazing, energy, interests everything, but the cost is unabtainable, no insurance been getting free samples, 1400$/month. help, i cant go off thes

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 12, 2013 9:13 AM
Review by PatientNo1 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Feeling better in 15 days or so..along with Paxil.

November 6, 2013 9:56 AM
Review by Charles Bruno: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I took it for a few months and felt like a zombie. I've been dealing with stress and for some lame ass reasons, a health care shrink diagnosed me as bi-polar. All who know me would say that's a load of crock. Hydrocodone/Vicadon/Vallum works well with me, but no Dr.s want to perscribe it to me. They are afraid I will abuse it. I've never abused any medication, nicotine, alcholol etc. in all my 56 years on this planet. I just know what I need/want/enjoy for the time I need it. It won't fix my problems, but It certainly helps "me" fix my problems. Lately, I've been getting Vicodon off the street. I take one a day. (7.5 mg) ...occasionally two. I am more positive and one by one am getting those pesky stressful situations out of my life.

November 5, 2013 3:10 AM
Review by Yoda1977 (taken for 10 years or more): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on Abilify for about 14 years and I have found it to be very beneficial. I suffered from verbal and visual hallucinations. Thanks to Abilify I have been symptom free for a number of year. Thank God.

October 29, 2013 10:58 AM
Review by queen bee22: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed as bipolar type II and my nurse practitioner in WA prescribed me abilify and I gained 30lb within a month of taking it. I blew up like a balloon and he said he doesn't have that side effect. I looked online and it says that it clearly does. He said to take it a few more weeks and see how I did. I gained ten more pounds and my mother insisted I stop taking it. I went from 148 to 188lb. It may have started helped with my symptoms but I was to concerned about my weight gain so he finally put me on Topamax.

October 24, 2013 5:29 PM