User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

6.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 50 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

"This drug is horrendous. I spent a week in a psychiatric ward the year I was twenty, and they titrated it up to ten milligrams by the time I was let out. I was a complete zombie, exhausted all the time - could fall asleep anywhere, any time of the day - so anxious that I had to keep moving my body to function. Kept crossing and uncrossing my legs, wringing my hands, etc. I was so numbed out I simply didn't enjoy life. I don't know how I managed to not kill myself. This thing will wreck you."

MakaMovingOn February 5, 2016

"Whilst taking Abilify,I had terrible insomnia. I never slept for more than 2 hours at a time. I reached te stage where I slept wherever I felt sleepy. I never slept in bed for the 6 months I took this horrible drug. I gained a lot of weight, probably due to the lack of sleep. Should have stopped sooner."

lngrhm (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 22, 2016

"I am a 48 year-old woman who has had bipolar I disorder since I was 12. It hit me severely and I have had a very difficult time with it. During one of the latest bouts I tried Abilify at 2 mg and definitely felt a bump up in my mood. I was so so excited and totally would've stayed on it except my appetite increased to such a degree that I immediately started gaining weight. Food was like crack - it became utterly and completely addictive. I could not stop eating! I would try and control it for a few days but I was utterly and totally unable to stop. An improvement in mood was worth 10 pounds but at 13 pounds in 8 weeks and no stopping I had to stop. Super disappointed. It is the only medication where I felt immediate relief."

Elizabeth29 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 15, 2016

"Took this for depression and bipolar, made my mood plummet to the point feeling absolutely nothing inside. Can't move, watch tv no enjoyment from anything. Horrendous medication."

Oliver Reilly (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 23, 2015

"I have taken abilify for almost a year now on and off because it makes me gain weight. I'm now on lamictal, but other than that I did a lot of research to make sure that the abilify is making me gain weight and IT IS!!!!! I gained almost 15 lb in 2 weeks and I could never stop eating. Other than that abilify didn't work for me long term only short term"

Malota December 13, 2015

"I have been on Abilify on two separate occasions along with other medications to help with depression and bipolar. BOTH times was a disaster. This time I've tried to tough out the side effects (working on three months now) and I still can't deal with the way it makes me feel. I feel flat, tired, depressed, low motivation, worthless, hopeless. You name it. I see my doctor tomorrow And plan to demand stopping Abilify."

Courageousdad07 (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 8, 2015

"I love this medication, changed my life. I take with Wellburrin 300mg. Together they are very effective. Only side effect is dizziness at times when standing."

Crazytrain (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 6, 2015

"Did nothing. Used for 2 months"

Anon76 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 25, 2015

"Ive been taking this med for about a month now. The only side effects that have really happened is light upset stomach and restless feelings during the day. I feel like I always need to be moving. Its not bad given some of the side effects ive experienced from other drugs this has to be the least problematic so far. My mood has become much better and the depression I started out with is gone. Although I have not had a manic phase yet I can't say how its treating those its only been a month. I would recommend this for bi polar probably combined with another medication to help with the restlessness and hard time sleeping."

SAMfffff October 23, 2015

"I was on Abilify for just over 2 years. At first I was started at 5mg, then increased to 10mg and finally upped to 15mg. At 15mg the psychotic symptoms vanished, and it prevented almost all manic episodes. It did nothing for my depressive symptoms though. I also developed terrible akathisia within a few months of reaching 15mg, and they didn't stop when we briefly tried going back down to 10mg. My legs bounced up and down every minute I was awake, I rocked backwards and forwards, I paced and one of my arms even trembled too. I couldn't read, eat with a knife and fork, and strangers would give me funny looks. I had akathisia for two years. Other than that I had no other side effects with this drug. No weight gain or tiredness."

WhichMed (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2015

"Best med. I have ever had for my bipolar. I was on many drugs but they made me a zombie. I couldn't wake up. It's tough when you have to work everyday. My Dr. put me on abilify and I'm a new person! Very Happy with the results. I have a life again!"

springerames (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

"My doc put me on Abilify 15mg after extreme weight gain on Seroquel. I have never been affected by a medication like Abilify. My first tablet made me very very ill. I was constantly vomiting, I was weak and felt like my body was burning up from inside. I was sweating profusely and I was weak. I contacted my doctor and was immediately taken off Abilify. It works for some and for others not. It definitely did not work for me. I have now been put onto Lamictin 25mg so tomorrow I take my first tablet."

Zoowie September 19, 2015

"I think it works really good for an add on. And its a cute little pink pill."

Waguespack (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2015

"I am on 30 mg of Abilify plus Trazodone and Wellbutrin and have to say this combination seems to be what works best for me. I don't feel drugged up but able to function day to day at work and with my family. I experience no side effects with Abilify except possibly some hair loss (but it looks like most if not all those type of drugs do that). Other than that I am grateful this helps."

lintu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

"I started abilify recently and it makes me restless like my mind is awake but my body is asleep but for the bipolar I feel so much better and like a new person. Besides the restlessness I love this pill."

Caley69 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

"After having to pay a but load out of pocket for this i slowly found out it was not for me. It put me in a hyper-manic state. Had to constantly be moving. Would wake up every morning at 7 am, when the sunlight started peaking in my room, regardless of what time I was finally able to pass out. And worst of all, it caused me to have problems using the restroom. No matter how hard I tried or what I did it made me not able to urinate. Some meds don't work on some people as they should."

Woahthere (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2015

"I have noticed since I have been on this medication I have become more happy and able to deal with my depression that I was suffering for a few days. I have noticed differences in my sleep pattern. I go back to bed earlier and I wake up early which can be a problem for me at times because I need lots of energy during the day to keep me going because I will get tired and depressed. My mood starts to slip after 3:00 which can be annoying."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 6, 2015

"I'm a 22 year old female, recently diagnosed with bipolar, I took this medication for a month and it was pure hell, made me an emotional wreck (never was emotional) crying out of nowhere, made my anxiety even worse, made me extremely tired, made me paranoid to the point where I thought I was going to die. Over all I have no positive notes to tell. Didn't work for me but hey everyone is different."

Miaaaaa July 29, 2015

"I am on a much higher dose than most others here, 10 mg. I do have bipolar illness, perhaps that is why my cocktail also includes 400 mg lamictal and 25 mcg cytomel. I am stable after eight years with this combo. I still have manic episodes, but much more manageable, thank god! What is also nice is that the abilify is available as a generic drug. Beforehand it was $80/ month, even with excellent insurance. Worth a try!"

Anonymous (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 27, 2015

"I've been 4 months on this drug and it wiped out my depression. It started to work after 1 week of usage. I gained 14 Kgs and a little bit manic (but supressed by depakote). I love this abilify it saved my life"

Pakbesar (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

"I was VERY hesitant on taking this medication, and like most of you reading these reviews, I too was scared of what it might or might not do. All I can say, in 3 days (2mg dose) there was a huge difference in my attitude, calmness and overall presence in me and my thoughts. Amazing!!!! I have so much energy and love doing things again. It has been one week, and for those of you who are affraid to gain weight; you must know, I am losing weight. It has actually decreased my apitite, however that might be because I am cautious of it and find other ways to curb cravings. One side effect I am having is NOT sleeping, although we are going through a bit of a heat wave and even air conditioning is not helping. Good Luck!"

Amazing Finally SO HAPPY July 16, 2015

"I took Abilify for a month and it was not for me. It first made me happy, but it made me too happy! I became manic again and couldn't settle myself down. I would be up at 2 am working out or cleaning. Also, the side effects were awful! My hands never stopped shaking and people began to think I had a drinking problem due to the way they were shaking. It also made me gain 5 lbs within a week. Not a fan."

ser8508 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 28, 2015

"Within 1 hr of taking - starting shaking uncontrollably, threw up and couldn't sleep"

tmoscoe (taken for less than 1 month) May 23, 2015

"Since Abilify was added to my bipolar cocktail, I have had only minor manic episodes. I have been on it now for 4-5 years. I would highly recommend it to anyone! Thanks for giving my a much more stable life Abilify!"

ChrisGH May 19, 2015

"I've been taking Abilify 30mg per day for 8 years. I have not had a major episode since and no hospitalization. Great for maintenance of mania and rapid cycling."

chrisbce (taken for 5 to 10 years) April 30, 2015