User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify review summary

6.3/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by bigger boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I like Abilify a lot because I used to be extremely irritable. I also couldn't ride my bicycle when I was manic because I would not focus on my safety. Luckily, I now only get hypomanic episodes thanks to Abilify. I feel like I am free to get off of my emotional roller coaster and explore the world outside. The only few problems it gave me were akasthesia and weight gain. I'm 14 years old, and I don't know whether I gained 40 lbs from growing, the medicine, or both.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by Golf Queen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Started on Abilify in addition to Effexor and Lamictal. Immediately had tremors in hands, lips and speech. Gained weight and was anxious. Stopped taking when I ran out; tremors stopped, lost weight and no noticeable negative consequences. Don't know why it was prescribed but it caused more problems than it helped. Side effects were terrible.

May 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by ceecee44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am diagnosed bi-polar and I have tried Lamictal, Lithium, Latuda and I don't even know how many other combinations. Abilify was the only one that has shown results for me. Yes, it tends to make me tired about 4-5 hours after taking it. And it makes me eat like a piggy sometimes, which has caused some weight gain. But nothing to severe. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night, perfect dose for me. It keeps my moods perfectly balanced but I have been taking Abilify since I was 15 and I am now 20 and do not plan on stopping it anytime soon. I have tried that and it did not end well.

April 16, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by ky girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have tried many bipolar, mania medicines with none being the right one, however when my doctor prescribed Abilify it helped majorly in my life. I am on a combination of Abilify, Divalproex and Trazadone. All of which work in my favor. It is very comforting to know there is a medicine out there that understands bipolar patients.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by AliPaige (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine did not work for me. I suffer from Bipolar with mood swings and panic disorder. I went up to 10mg and It seemed to help my mood but it pushed my anxiety off the charts. I was a shaky mess while taking it and also unable to focus and complete tasks. Went off within 4 weeks.

January 10, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Bipolar Bear (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine made me nervous all the time, I was a wreck, I could never sit still. It took away the mania and psychosis but left me suicidal and depressed so my psychiatrist stopped it.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2013 5:49 AM

Review by MrRowland:

Abilify is not for everyone. I experienced severe personality change within a month. The story: I have had bipolar disorder since I was 13 and have been in treatment for 9 years. When Abilify came out, we tried Abilify to "bridge" getting me off atypical antipsychotics and onto a mood stabilizer. The 20 day experience was horrible. My personality changed radically. I didn't know myself anymore. Friends, my lover, my boss, all begged me to stop. I felt weird on it, not better. Severe personality changes are possible with Abilify. I called my psych, we stopped the medicine and moved onward. Those 20 days were destructive, but my friends & job were kind and life returned to normal.

December 6, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by samnm:

I feel the Abilify working on my depression. I am singing and happier then I have been in a while. I was taking Invega before and that did not help me at all. I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1. This medicine has lessened my mania but has not vanished it completely. I do not see any side effects with this medicine!

November 17, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by samanthamora09:

Today is my first day taking the medication and within two hours I am ready to pass out. I feel so sleepy and its not really "regulating" my moods. In fact, I'm more aggravated than usual and going off on everybody. I also feel slightly nauseous and dizzy.

November 15, 2013 9:19 AM

Review by queen bee22:

I was diagnosed as bipolar type II and my nurse practitioner in WA prescribed me abilify and I gained 30lb within a month of taking it. I blew up like a balloon and he said he doesn't have that side effect. I looked online and it says that it clearly does. He said to take it a few more weeks and see how I did. I gained ten more pounds and my mother insisted I stop taking it. I went from 148 to 188lb. It may have started helped with my symptoms but I was to concerned about my weight gain so he finally put me on Topamax.

October 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by tabby cat:

I feel really good using this medicine for bipolar and depression.

August 23, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Abilify was fine at first, but it slowly increased my anxiety to the point where I felt like I was stuck in one long, never ending panic attack. I stopped Abilify two days ago and feel so much better.

August 22, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by mona lucynski:

I started taking and was fine for a few weeks. Then I started gaining weight slowly. Before I knew it I had gained 40 pounds in 6 months.

August 13, 2013 11:06 AM

Review by Juan doe (taken for less than 1 month):

I found out I was bipolar about a month ago. The first pill my PCP gave me was Abilify. Starting on 2mg for the first 2 weeks. I didn't notice anything until maybe the third day. However the rest of that week and the following I have been on a roller coaster. I just started taking 5mg of Abilify and I notice the next day. I had the feeling of being normal again. Only side effect I've notice was when I was depressed I was depressed. Since upping the dose I feel way better.

August 4, 2013 6:39 PM

Review by AAB:

This medicine has been a game changer for me. I stopped stress eating and lost weight, my mood stabilized and I have been incredibly productive and achieved great things on it. It does wonders for my anxiety. I have been on it for a year and could not be happier with the product. It is expensive but WORTH it! Highly recommend.

July 19, 2013 9:45 PM

Review by Bunkswife:

This is what I've always needed. My mood is lifted, I have energy I never had before, I don't feel sad and helpless anymore, my anxiety has lessened and I'm easier to get along with. This may just save my failing marriage. I was afraid of all the side effect warnings but I only experienced mild nausea for about a week, and for the first few days I woke up intermittently during the night, but could easily fall asleep again almost immediately. Feeling so much better!

July 11, 2013 7:14 AM

Review by AlieC (taken for less than 1 month):

I have only been taking Abilify (along with my Prozac) for 2 days. So far I have had many ups and downs. I wake up feeling shaky and out of sorts. I have trouble breathing and black out a lot. (I black out anyways, but it has increased). Then I go through a period of anxiety and sweating. A little while later I go through severe nausea and then extreme fatigue. Between each phase I feel pretty great, but it's short lived. I'm going to give it more time, but that's the initial reaction for me.

July 4, 2013 2:34 PM

Review by stuckonperc (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I've used several bipolar medications. This has the least side effects.

July 3, 2013 8:12 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Got put on 15mg of Abilify in the hospital and it has been the best antipsychotic I've taken! My anxiety is pretty much gone and there was a big difference in my mood swings.

June 30, 2013 12:32 PM

It works well for me.

June 23, 2013 1:20 AM

Review by Kitty2489 (taken for less than 1 month):

I was recently diagnosed at age 24 with Bipolar disorder (some paranoid features) co-morbid with Asperger's disorder. I have woken up in the morning all my life in an absolute rage, and my Bipolar has affected my life in more ways than I care to mention. I wish I would've known about my mental illness sooner- I thought everyone felt like I did. I have been on this medicine for a week, and for once in my life I wake up in a good mood, I stay in a good mood during the day, and am generally happy. I am extremely productive instead of either too manic or too depressed to function. The only bad thing is the akathesia, but worth it.

June 12, 2013 2:50 AM

Review by Lilli in Waiting (taken for 5 to 10 years):

It's not for everyone, but I do well on it. It's a great antidepressant, and it helped me lose a lot of weight, I believe. Only downside- insomnia! But it does go away, eventually (the insomnia).

May 28, 2013 7:22 PM

Review by mysteriousprincess (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I would hide at home for months, shaking when a telephone rang. I couldn't let people go and had obsessive thoughts. Abilify gave me calm, confidence and hope. It made me less sensitive to light and time, I was no longer at the mercy of each passing moment. I woke up relaxed, went to bed without a noise in my head, inner voices stopped criticizing me, thoughts didn't race. I was creative but focused, and began wonderful new projects. Had NO side effects- NO weight gain. 'Worked magic that first day. But after a month it seemed to do nothing but make me sad. Evidently that was a manic phase. It blocks my mania, but not my depressive switch. Feels like I've traded manic depression for unipolar depression. I am being switched to lithium.

April 5, 2013 12:53 AM

Review by mare bear (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I WAS on Abilify for more than a year. then it got prohibitively expensive. (over $250) I was on 15mg. It made my rage and aggression more manageable. I think this is a MIRACLE pill. The only side affect that DIDN'T go away, was the restless leg syndrome. If you can afford this medicine, take it, it's GREAT.

February 14, 2013 9:15 AM

Review by Ori (taken for 1 to 6 months):

This pulled me right out of the zombie state the mood stabilizer antidepressant combination had put me in. I still have swings, but they're not as deep or as long, and my mania is still stifled enough that it's productive rather than destructive.

January 19, 2013 7:34 PM