User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Just Plain Nuts (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Abilify worked pretty good for five years with Prozac. But then I became morbidly obese, with elevated bad lipids and prediabetes. Also, I was constantly in fear of tardive dyskinesia. I no longer take it.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 19, 2014 9:07 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This has helped extremely with my bad mood swings and irritability but am having nightmares and waking up multiple time during the night feeling restless.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 24, 2014 5:24 PM

Review by Valkyrie66:

Have been on Abilify for two weeks and my personality has changed drastically. I went from being chilled out and quite okay on Seroquel and Effexor but wanted to try Abilify to combat weight gain. In the two weeks I've been on it I've swung from hypomanic to aggressive and downright selfish. I did things I wouldn't normally do that has hurt my relationship with my partner and I've also been spending like crazy. Probably should stop but will consult psychiatrist first to see what she says.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 15, 2014 7:25 AM

Review by Dont'StandCloseToMe (taken for 1 to 6 months):

No effect after 3 months on it.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 15, 2014 9:51 PM

Review by David Lawliet:

I've been taking Abilify for eight months now. Although it made me gain 15-20kg (something like 33-40 lbs I believe?), my experience is quite positive. The sadness from my major depressive episode, as well as my suicidal thoughts, have been almost annihilated. The reason why I rated it as a six is because it didn't help ease the great fatigue I have. But it helped a lot, that is for sure.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 5:39 AM

Review by MJude (taken for 1 to 2 years):

So many negative side effects. This interacts HORRIBLY with THC, especially as the THC wears off, and exponentially exacerbates the intensity and length of any depressive come-down effects. In my experience it interacts with alcohol in about the same way. Also it can make women in-orgasmic.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 12, 2014 3:52 AM

Review by :):):

I was ready to walk out on my husband because of his hateful stressful presence. I sent him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and started on Abilify. It was a lifesaver for our marriage and family. He is happy, fun, and hopeful again. I thank God my prayers were answered.

August 10, 2014 10:02 AM

Review by Attracta54 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Gained 60 lbs in under 9 months while taking this.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 30, 2014 4:08 PM

Review by graysonnnnn:

I took Abilify for one month. I had restlessness, a feeling that I needed to do something. It was a good thing in a way. At first I was more irritable but that subsided substantially after a few days. It made me feel a lot more calmer and in control of my emotions without making me feel like I was suppressing them. This is the first pharmaceutical medicine I have tried to treat my condition and it definitely worked better than the natural remedies such as St John's Wort, same, and passion flower. It even helped more than meditation. I have just switched to Latuda because Abilify gave me chest pains. If the pain was anywhere else I would of definitely stayed on the medicine because it worked. It helped me gain 10 lb which is good for me.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 29, 2014 12:13 PM

Review by bigger boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

I like Abilify a lot because I used to be extremely irritable. I also couldn't ride my bicycle when I was manic because I would not focus on my safety. Luckily, I now only get hypomanic episodes thanks to Abilify. I feel like I am free to get off of my emotional roller coaster and explore the world outside. The only few problems it gave me were akasthesia and weight gain. I'm 14 years old, and I don't know whether I gained 40 lbs from growing, the medicine, or both.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 1, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by Golf Queen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Started on Abilify in addition to Effexor and Lamictal. Immediately had tremors in hands, lips and speech. Gained weight and was anxious. Stopped taking when I ran out; tremors stopped, lost weight and no noticeable negative consequences. Don't know why it was prescribed but it caused more problems than it helped. Side effects were terrible.

May 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by ceecee44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

I am diagnosed bi-polar and I have tried Lamictal, Lithium, Latuda and I don't even know how many other combinations. Abilify was the only one that has shown results for me. Yes, it tends to make me tired about 4-5 hours after taking it. And it makes me eat like a piggy sometimes, which has caused some weight gain. But nothing to severe. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night, perfect dose for me. It keeps my moods perfectly balanced but I have been taking Abilify since I was 15 and I am now 20 and do not plan on stopping it anytime soon. I have tried that and it did not end well.

April 16, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by ky girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have tried many bipolar, mania medicines with none being the right one, however when my doctor prescribed Abilify it helped majorly in my life. I am on a combination of Abilify, Divalproex and Trazadone. All of which work in my favor. It is very comforting to know there is a medicine out there that understands bipolar patients.

March 4, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by AliPaige (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine did not work for me. I suffer from Bipolar with mood swings and panic disorder. I went up to 10mg and It seemed to help my mood but it pushed my anxiety off the charts. I was a shaky mess while taking it and also unable to focus and complete tasks. Went off within 4 weeks.

January 10, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Bipolar Bear (taken for less than 1 month):

This medicine made me nervous all the time, I was a wreck, I could never sit still. It took away the mania and psychosis but left me suicidal and depressed so my psychiatrist stopped it.

December 27, 2013 5:49 AM

Review by MrRowland:

Abilify is not for everyone. I experienced severe personality change within a month. The story: I have had bipolar disorder since I was 13 and have been in treatment for 9 years. When Abilify came out, we tried Abilify to "bridge" getting me off atypical antipsychotics and onto a mood stabilizer. The 20 day experience was horrible. My personality changed radically. I didn't know myself anymore. Friends, my lover, my boss, all begged me to stop. I felt weird on it, not better. Severe personality changes are possible with Abilify. I called my psych, we stopped the medicine and moved onward. Those 20 days were destructive, but my friends & job were kind and life returned to normal.

December 6, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by samnm:

I feel the Abilify working on my depression. I am singing and happier then I have been in a while. I was taking Invega before and that did not help me at all. I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1. This medicine has lessened my mania but has not vanished it completely. I do not see any side effects with this medicine!

November 17, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by samanthamora09:

Today is my first day taking the medication and within two hours I am ready to pass out. I feel so sleepy and its not really "regulating" my moods. In fact, I'm more aggravated than usual and going off on everybody. I also feel slightly nauseous and dizzy.

November 15, 2013 9:19 AM

Review by queen bee22:

I was diagnosed as bipolar type II and my nurse practitioner in WA prescribed me abilify and I gained 30lb within a month of taking it. I blew up like a balloon and he said he doesn't have that side effect. I looked online and it says that it clearly does. He said to take it a few more weeks and see how I did. I gained ten more pounds and my mother insisted I stop taking it. I went from 148 to 188lb. It may have started helped with my symptoms but I was to concerned about my weight gain so he finally put me on Topamax.

October 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by tabby cat:

I feel really good using this medicine for bipolar and depression.

August 23, 2013 6:47 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Abilify was fine at first, but it slowly increased my anxiety to the point where I felt like I was stuck in one long, never ending panic attack. I stopped Abilify two days ago and feel so much better.

August 22, 2013 7:35 PM

Review by mona lucynski:

I started taking and was fine for a few weeks. Then I started gaining weight slowly. Before I knew it I had gained 40 pounds in 6 months.

August 13, 2013 11:06 AM

Review by Juan doe (taken for less than 1 month):

I found out I was bipolar about a month ago. The first pill my PCP gave me was Abilify. Starting on 2mg for the first 2 weeks. I didn't notice anything until maybe the third day. However the rest of that week and the following I have been on a roller coaster. I just started taking 5mg of Abilify and I notice the next day. I had the feeling of being normal again. Only side effect I've notice was when I was depressed I was depressed. Since upping the dose I feel way better.

August 4, 2013 6:39 PM

Review by AAB:

This medicine has been a game changer for me. I stopped stress eating and lost weight, my mood stabilized and I have been incredibly productive and achieved great things on it. It does wonders for my anxiety. I have been on it for a year and could not be happier with the product. It is expensive but WORTH it! Highly recommend.

July 19, 2013 9:45 PM

Review by Bunkswife:

This is what I've always needed. My mood is lifted, I have energy I never had before, I don't feel sad and helpless anymore, my anxiety has lessened and I'm easier to get along with. This may just save my failing marriage. I was afraid of all the side effect warnings but I only experienced mild nausea for about a week, and for the first few days I woke up intermittently during the night, but could easily fall asleep again almost immediately. Feeling so much better!

July 11, 2013 7:14 AM