User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

4.6
Summary of Abilify reviews 338 reviews 6.6

Reviews for Abilify

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This medication has been fantastic. My depression was pretty significant as there was nothing I wanted to do anymore other than go to sleep at night. I felt like my life was gone. Someone took it. After seeing the reviews on here, I started taking Abilify (10 mg) and it works fantastic. I started to notice a difference on the second day and I have now been on it for three weeks. I feel great. I feel like my life is back and I want to do things again. It does make you sleepy so I take it at night before I go to bed. I had a very slight increase in hunger but it was totally manageable. As long as you don't feed your face every time you feel hungry, and you stick to your normal eating amount and schedule, you wont gain any weight.

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by DavenDallas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Autism: My stepson is now 13 years old and has been on 5mg dosage of Abilify for about 2-3 years. We discovered it when we saw a commercial for a study involving autistic children with aggressive tendencies. Since then, his behavior has improved 100% at both home and school. The only side effect, as mentioned by others, is weight gain. To this I say, take a more active role in your kid's diet and force him/her to exercise. This will offset the side-effects while still reaping the benefits.

February 7, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Ianguitarist:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine.

January 19, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by AliPaige (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine did not work for me. I suffer from Bipolar with mood swings and panic disorder. I went up to 10mg and It seemed to help my mood but it pushed my anxiety off the charts. I was a shaky mess while taking it and also unable to focus and complete tasks. Went off within 4 weeks.

January 10, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Lolooooo23 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Abilify has truly changed my life. Before I started taking it I was crying every day for hours a day, I felt a sadness for what seemed like no reason, and it just would not go away. I started with 2.5mg and felt no change but at 5mg I felt a drastic improvement in my mood. I take it in addition to Adderall XR for ADHD. I was taking Vistaril for my anxiety but that doesn't do anything but make you ridiculously tired, so I just got Klonopin, going to give that a try. My only drawback to Abilify is that for me it makes me very tired so I take it at night.

January 8, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Bipolar Bear (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine made me nervous all the time, I was a wreck, I could never sit still. It took away the mania and psychosis but left me suicidal and depressed so my psychiatrist stopped it.

December 27, 2013 5:49 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Depression: Works great, but watch for weight gain.

December 23, 2013 5:27 PM

Review by Mr. Enduring:

For Agitated State: I was prescribed this medication because of the extreme stresses associated with a chronic disabling disease called relapsing polychondritis. It has destroyed all of my joints, cervical spine damage, ataxia, and the loss of everything in my life that I had worked 30 years to obtain. All gone. I am the type of person who is more angry, agitated, infuriated, by the effects of this condition than I am sad or depressed about it. I was also in chronic pain daily too since May of 2012. NO painkillers would help this type of pains. I can NOT take methotrexate, DMARDs, biologics, only prednisone, a great diet, and an occasional NSAID. Then my Doc gave me this. I am so happy at this moment (not) to feel the burning sensations, squeezing, aching, pain.

December 7, 2013 9:27 PM

Review by MrRowland:

For Bipolar Disorder: Abilify is not for everyone. I experienced severe personality change within a month. The story: I have had bipolar disorder since I was 13 and have been in treatment for 9 years. When Abilify came out, we tried Abilify to "bridge" getting me off atypical antipsychotics and onto a mood stabilizer. The 20 day experience was horrible. My personality changed radically. I didn't know myself anymore. Friends, my lover, my boss, all begged me to stop. I felt weird on it, not better. Severe personality changes are possible with Abilify. I called my psych, we stopped the medicine and moved onward. Those 20 days were destructive, but my friends & job were kind and life returned to normal.

December 6, 2013 6:13 PM

Review by involved mom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Autism: After much deliberation and many, many meetings, we finally decided to put our 7 year old on low dose Abilify. My child is officially diagnosed PDD-NOS, which is an autism umbrella disorder. At first the low 2mg dose seemed pretty effective in controlling the anxiety and outburst. However; when our doctor prescribed a higher dose, 5 mg, the exhaustion and weight gain were out of control. My child gained roughly 45 pounds in six months. Even when we stopped the medication for the summer months. Abilify seems to make my child very hungry, but unable to convert any calories into energy, simply storing all food as fat. We came to the decision that the side effects were out weighing the desired effects, and are trying a new medication.

November 18, 2013 5:35 PM

Review by samnm:

For Bipolar Disorder: I feel the Abilify working on my depression. I am singing and happier then I have been in a while. I was taking Invega before and that did not help me at all. I am diagnosed with Bipolar 1. This medicine has lessened my mania but has not vanished it completely. I do not see any side effects with this medicine!

November 17, 2013 5:48 PM

Review by samanthamora09:

For Bipolar Disorder: Today is my first day taking the medication and within two hours I am ready to pass out. I feel so sleepy and its not really "regulating" my moods. In fact, I'm more aggravated than usual and going off on everybody. I also feel slightly nauseous and dizzy.

November 15, 2013 9:19 AM

Review by MS.ENERGY:

For Depression: i have been depressed most my life, it runs rampant in my family, i really dont have much to be depressed about, i have a good life, i have some bumps, been taking "SERTRALINE 200MG/DAILY", FOREVER, I WAS STUCK, THERE WERE days i would stare out my window for 8 hours doing nothing, zero energy, zero interest in anything, had to force myself to do things, thought some of this was due to being menopausal, but the doc gave me abilify, started with2mg, about 2 weeks later i felt something but not enough, went to 4mg a day with my depression pills, im telling u in one week,, someone turn the lite on, amazing, energy, interests everything, but the cost is unabtainable, no insurance been getting free samples, 1400$/month. help, i cant go off thes

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 9:13 AM

Review by PatientNo1 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: Feeling better in 15 days or so..along with Paxil.

November 6, 2013 9:56 AM

Review by Charles Bruno:

For Depression: I took it for a few months and felt like a zombie. I've been dealing with stress and for some lame ass reasons, a health care shrink diagnosed me as bi-polar. All who know me would say that's a load of crock. Hydrocodone/Vicadon/Vallum works well with me, but no Dr.s want to perscribe it to me. They are afraid I will abuse it. I've never abused any medication, nicotine, alcholol etc. in all my 56 years on this planet. I just know what I need/want/enjoy for the time I need it. It won't fix my problems, but It certainly helps "me" fix my problems. Lately, I've been getting Vicodon off the street. I take one a day. (7.5 mg) ...occasionally two. I am more positive and one by one am getting those pesky stressful situations out of my life.

November 5, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by Yoda1977 (taken for 10 years or more):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: I have been on Abilify for about 14 years and I have found it to be very beneficial. I suffered from verbal and visual hallucinations. Thanks to Abilify I have been symptom free for a number of year. Thank God.

October 29, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by queen bee22:

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed as bipolar type II and my nurse practitioner in WA prescribed me abilify and I gained 30lb within a month of taking it. I blew up like a balloon and he said he doesn't have that side effect. I looked online and it says that it clearly does. He said to take it a few more weeks and see how I did. I gained ten more pounds and my mother insisted I stop taking it. I went from 148 to 188lb. It may have started helped with my symptoms but I was to concerned about my weight gain so he finally put me on Topamax.

October 24, 2013 5:29 PM

Review by Joycer10:

For Depression: Been taking Abilify for 6 years or so and it worked great along with prozac. I quit the prozac about 4 months ago and have felt great just taking Abilify, BUT now I,m having side affects; muscle aches in my left arm and right leg, having a hard time walking.

October 23, 2013 1:39 PM

Review by Sami kk:

For Schizophrenia: Abilify has improved my negative and cognitive symptoms on dose of 25 mg after 3 weeks being on it.

October 10, 2013 6:17 PM

Review by Bimini Kricket (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: I'm 32 and have been diagnosed with depression since I was about 21. I know that I was depressed way before then but, did not have the diagnosis nor knew what depression was. I was on Celexa 40mg and lithium 600mg for about 4 years. I was functional but, there was a dimension of life that I knew was missing. I did not have a taste for life. A few weeks ago, I had another major depression episode and found myself bed bound. Could not get out of bed. Would sleep for hours on end; I no longer counted days. My trichotillomania had returned with a vengeance and it brought a binge eating disorder to boot. Psychiatrist prescribed Abilify. It has been 4 days since I have taken my first dose (2mg) and I already feel like I am healed. I smiled.

135 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 11:08 PM

Review by peregrine:

I am currently on a number of medications (Effexor, Lexapro, Klonopin, Clomipramine) for my obsessive compulsive disorder and my psychiatrist recently added Abilify. I feel like a cloud has been lifted. While I still have OCD thoughts, they no longer "stick" in my brain. They just seem to easily flow in and out. I feel like it is my miracle pill. I feel like this , at 2 mg, has given me the ability to prevent my OCD from controlling me.

September 7, 2013 8:48 AM

Review by tweetster:

For Depression: Worked great but after being on it for 5 years or so I got the side effect of twitching, feet would not stop twitching, moving on their own. I asked my doctor to please take me off.

September 2, 2013 9:03 AM

Review by Boston617 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: I was prescribed 5mg of Abilify as a 'booster' to the Wellbutrin 200mg I have been taking for over 5 years. The combination is great! I felt like myself in only a few days and it has continued to be effective over the past 18 months that I've been on the combination. I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about this, it has changed my life!

117 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by AustinWyatt:

For Depression: I started 20 MG of Prozac over a year ago and it has since been increased to 60 MG a day. I addition to that I started BuSpar 5 MG about 6 months ago and that also has been increased to 15 MG a day. Even between the two, I still didn't feel like myself again, then I started 5 MG of Abilify a month ago. It has been a blessing. I am doing this now, and becoming less introverted, and I get great satisfaction over small things like simple conversations with friends and family. As it was originally difficult for me to be okay with admitting I was depressed to begin with, I was a little hesitant to take a medicine originally prescribed to those with schizophrenia. Now I am proud to say that I take it, because now I have my life back.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 1:42 PM

Review by tabby cat:

For Bipolar Disorder: I feel really good using this medicine for bipolar and depression.

August 23, 2013 6:47 PM