User Reviews for Abilify (Page 3)

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 15 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 37 reviews 47 medications

5.9
Summary of Abilify reviews 465 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

For Bipolar Disorder "Ive been taking this med for about a month now. The only side effects that have really happened is light upset stomach and restless feelings during the day. I feel like I always need to be moving. Its not bad given some of the side effects ive experienced from other drugs this has to be the least problematic so far. My mood has become much better and the depression I started out with is gone. Although I have not had a manic phase yet I can't say how its treating those its only been a month. I would recommend this for bi polar probably combined with another medication to help with the restlessness and hard time sleeping."

SAMfffff October 23, 2015

For Autism "My high-functioning ASD son started taking 5mg of Abilify at age 11 to control his irritability and aggressive outbursts ( never hurt anyone else, but would throw himself repeatedly into the wall when he became frustrated ). The Abilify helped immensely. At age 14, a new physician wanted to see how he would handle being off the medication. Seemed okay for the first month, but by month three he ended up in the emergency room on a hold for suicidal ideation. He was immediately put back on Abilify and things started getting better. Now at age 16, he takes 15mg once a day. He's more social, more conversational, and just doing well overall. His weight is ideal for his height."

gbs mom (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 23, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was prescribed 2.5 mg of Abilify to augment Pristiq 200 mg as depression severe. It worked quickly & my sleep & appetite improved a lot. So far I get some hungry periods but no huge weight gain yet. Hope it won't occur as it seems to help me. Good luck. It is expensive at $166 for 2 months supply. Insurance rebate $133 though."

Yallingup October 18, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am on 5mg of Abilify and 100mg of Pristiq. I have been on this combination for about a year. As a result, I've been the happiest I have been in many years of struggling with severe depression. HOWEVER, I'm torn. I recently recovered from a very severe eating disorder after 30 years! My weight in a lifetime has been as low as 70lbs and as high as 120lbs. I am 5' 3". NOW after a year of recovery from the eating disorder AND taking the Abilify and Pristiq, I have gained over 50lbs!!!! As you can imagine, I am totally freaked out. I suffer from arthritis and it is very difficult to exercise, although I try. At any rate, I don't know what to do. I feel great, but the weight gain is overwhelming and I'm still gaining! HELP!!!"

Nancy K. (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 18, 2015

For Autism "Autistic Savant. High functioning. 5mg Abilify every morning. Miracle drug So thankful for research and development of disease. Please try Abilify if you are high functioning Autistic !"

Mae Queen (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 15, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I'm 66 years old and had been treated with a myriad of drugs for bipolar and schizoaffective disorder including psychoses, mood swings, delusions and hallucinations for over 30 years when I was put on Abilify. It was like someone flipped a switch and I got my life back. I am virtually symptom-free for over twelve years now and the only side effect has been some weight gain which, at my age, is a fair trade. Truly a wonder drug."

Scaaty (taken for 10 years or more) October 7, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "Have taken Lamictal for about 5 years. Needed antidepressant to supplement, and have tried practically every one, new and old. Tried Abilify 2mg (?) at night. No side effects, especially weight gain, at all. After about 3 days, had more energy than I have had in years! Great mood, focus, and actually got things done! But only lasted about 3 weeks. Upped dose to 5mg. Same thing. If only it would last longer than 3 weeks. On the bright side, for 3 weeks at a time, my house was clean, etc! Lol"

SuzieQ55 October 7, 2015

For Schizoaffective Disorder "I took Abilify for over a year, at 30mg. I remember a few pros and cons. Pro: I became ok with not having to talk, explain, or stir up 'energy' at public gatherings. (Took away the "prophet - tell them or they'll all die" urge completely.) Pro: I could complete projects without superstition or worry that every tiny detail could lead to catastrophe. Con: Severe Akathisia (very painful, and pain wasn't managed at all in the hospital. This is why I don't take anti psychotics anymore!) Con: Loss of creativity/writers block Con: Very flat personality. Con: Visual, auditory and tactile hallucinations did not go away so they kept increasing dose to highest dose - still never went away. If there was no pain, I'd give this a 9."

I'mNotSureWhatMyNameIs (taken for 1 to 2 years) October 6, 2015

For Depression "Abilify does not work. It is not the medication for me. My heart races I can't breathe half of the time right I get dizzy I'm panicky and unmotivated I'm Droggy and always lethargic very down and it has the opposite effect. !!!"

Lovable key (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "So this was honestly the best medicine I ever went on for my depression, BUT it made me gain 60lbs in a matter of 2 or 3 months. And I have always been small my entire life. Didn't change any habits either when I was on this. I've been off this medication for about a year now and haven't lost a pound of the weight I gained because of it, despite working extremely hard. It really sucks because this medicine made me feel great, until I became really overweight. Now I'm too self conscious and depressed about myself that I don't even go in public unless I absolutely have to."

Maddie95 October 3, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I was on Abilify for just over 2 years. At first I was started at 5mg, then increased to 10mg and finally upped to 15mg. At 15mg the psychotic symptoms vanished, and it prevented almost all manic episodes. It did nothing for my depressive symptoms though. I also developed terrible akathisia within a few months of reaching 15mg, and they didn't stop when we briefly tried going back down to 10mg. My legs bounced up and down every minute I was awake, I rocked backwards and forwards, I paced and one of my arms even trembled too. I couldn't read, eat with a knife and fork, and strangers would give me funny looks. I had akathisia for two years. Other than that I had no other side effects with this drug. No weight gain or tiredness."

WhichMed (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 2, 2015

For Schizophrenia "It does stuff I never thought meds would do. It has made corrections to my perceptions and how I look at things and my racing thoughts"

RYSMILE (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have had major depressive disorder, anxiety and ocd since I was a kid. On and off meds since 1987. Paxil was the best for me for a decade or more. Went off of it myself to try and get pregnant and had a nervous breakdown. Was hospitalized for severe issues, etc. Had ECT. Scary, but it helped, looking back at the experience. Now, I take liquid generic Zoloft (250 mgs/mls), liquid generic Abilify (3mgs/3mls) and Clonazapam. I feel like the Abilify gives me a boost vs. just being on liquid generic Zoloft. However, I have gained A LOT of weight over the past five or six years - like 60 pounds - used to be slender. I give Abilify a decent rating, except for the weight gain and some sleepiness. And I think liquid vs. pills is better."

JenJen45 (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 1, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "Best med. I have ever had for my bipolar. I was on many drugs but they made me a zombie. I couldn't wake up. It's tough when you have to work everyday. My Dr. put me on abilify and I'm a new person! Very Happy with the results. I have a life again!"

springerames (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2015

For Autism "The doctor of my 13 year old autistic daughter put her on 5mg of Abilify last October. The first three months were great. Her mood swings decreased. She was less destructive and it was a lot quieter at home and in school. We started seeing the behaviors coming back a little at a time. At month 7, the behaviors were back full swing and much worse than they were before she was put on Abilify. She also gained 42 pounds and we couldn't keep her out of food unless we locked the cabinets and refrigerator. She has been off of Abilify since mid July and her behavior has turned around completely. Now she is on an "as needed" medicine that we only give her when we see a meltdown coming, and that is not very often."

Exhausted Autism Parent (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 23, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I took abilify since I was 19 I'm now 33 it makes you feel restless I plan on getting off this medicine as soon as I talk to my doctor"

Lexilynn82 (taken for 5 to 10 years) September 21, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "My doc put me on Abilify 15mg after extreme weight gain on Seroquel. I have never been affected by a medication like Abilify. My first tablet made me very very ill. I was constantly vomiting, I was weak and felt like my body was burning up from inside. I was sweating profusely and I was weak. I contacted my doctor and was immediately taken off Abilify. It works for some and for others not. It definitely did not work for me. I have now been put onto Lamictin 25mg so tomorrow I take my first tablet."

Zoowie September 19, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "5 days - from non functioning depressed to living and enjoying life! I had no side effects starting the medication and noticed a moderate improvement by day 2. By day 5 / remarkable difference! My history is 20 yrs on ssri's and no improvement. Spent 9 months this year completely non functioning. Tried rispiridone and that caused lactation and sedated me. Pdoc put me on 60 mg Prozac +5 mg abilify and I feel like myself! Not sedated, not wired, just normal happy me! Miracle!"

Optimistic1981 September 15, 2015

For Major Depressive Disorder "I just started taking 5mg Abilify. After a day of headache and nausea as well as extreme fatigue I am know trying to take it at night to sleep through the worst side effects. Hoping they'll subside after a week or two. But I think I can feel a little change in my mood to the better which would be nice after trying to find something that works for the last year..."

Nowabi (taken for less than 1 month) September 15, 2015

For Schizophrenia "I took this medication after being on resperidone which made me really tense but abilify really works for me still hear voices in a distant way and still will be increasing the dose"

shaysos September 13, 2015

For Depression "Taking this in conjunction with Wellbutrin and Buspar gave me my life back. My mood is stable, I'm happy, excited, and not over the top either. The trade name really describes this medication well that's for sure. However, this isn't for everyone. Also I must note the first 5 days kind of suck. I felt like my head was spinning and I felt nauseated like I was on a roller coaster all the time. Never threw up though. SO glad I stuck with it though. Well worth it in the end."

Leandre3452 September 1, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I think it works really good for an add on. And its a cute little pink pill."

Waguespack (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 27, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I am on 30 mg of Abilify plus Trazodone and Wellbutrin and have to say this combination seems to be what works best for me. I don't feel drugged up but able to function day to day at work and with my family. I experience no side effects with Abilify except possibly some hair loss (but it looks like most if not all those type of drugs do that). Other than that I am grateful this helps."

lintu (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 25, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "I started abilify recently and it makes me restless like my mind is awake but my body is asleep but for the bipolar I feel so much better and like a new person. Besides the restlessness I love this pill."

Caley69 (taken for less than 1 month) August 20, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder "After having to pay a but load out of pocket for this i slowly found out it was not for me. It put me in a hyper-manic state. Had to constantly be moving. Would wake up every morning at 7 am, when the sunlight started peaking in my room, regardless of what time I was finally able to pass out. And worst of all, it caused me to have problems using the restroom. No matter how hard I tried or what I did it made me not able to urinate. Some meds don't work on some people as they should."

Woahthere (taken for less than 1 month) August 14, 2015