User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 19 reviews 29 medications

5.3
Summary of Abilify reviews 357 reviews 6.7

Reviews for Abilify

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I was put on Ability to help with Major Depression/Clinical depression, and anxiety. The side effects were life changing. Just horrible. I was put on it at 15. I had hallucinations, pass out spells, times of absolute carelessness, and increased suicidal thoughts. I also became very hateful and paranoid. I developed unexplained muscle twitches, so my doctor finally took me off of it. I also had constant migraines and increased irritability I was just a mess on this medication! I still have the muscle twitches, and it's been 5 years since I had Abilify.

June 18, 2014 1:58 PM

Review by DonFL:

For Major Depressive Disorder: Exacerbated all negative feelings. Switched to Effexor worked much better.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 14, 2014 10:04 AM

Review by garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Depression: Tried many different antidepressants for depression and anxiety. Ended up on 45 Remeron and 2 mg of Abilify. Worked after 2 days. After months of debilitating depression and anxiety! I am so thankful. Was worried about taking an anti psychotic, because I'm not bipolar or psychotic. Got over that as soon as I saw results. Will take this medicine as long as needed. Miracle truly!

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 10, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by Loves abilify.. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Schizophrenia: Struggled with paranoia for 20 years while taking Effexor only. Checked into a psych ward after a manic episode and they added 5mg Abilify. I was skittish for a month but then the paranoia and general suspicious nature just went away.. I still see a shrink every month for upkeep but I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and I swear by this medicine! Clear head and no side effects.

June 8, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by bigger boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Bipolar Disorder: I like Abilify a lot because I used to be extremely irritable. I also couldn't ride my bicycle when I was manic because I would not focus on my safety. Luckily, I now only get hypomanic episodes thanks to Abilify. I feel like I am free to get off of my emotional roller coaster and explore the world outside. The only few problems it gave me were akasthesia and weight gain. I'm 14 years old, and I don't know whether I gained 40 lbs from growing, the medicine, or both.

June 1, 2014 4:07 PM

Review by ladythelab (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I could not handle the teeth clenching.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 27, 2014 9:13 AM

Review by Golf Queen (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: Started on Abilify in addition to Effexor and Lamictal. Immediately had tremors in hands, lips and speech. Gained weight and was anxious. Stopped taking when I ran out; tremors stopped, lost weight and no noticeable negative consequences. Don't know why it was prescribed but it caused more problems than it helped. Side effects were terrible.

May 23, 2014 1:45 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I'm not so sure if the medicine was bad, it just didn't work for me. I began to develop muscle twitching.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 20, 2014 6:07 PM

Review by Olivia A:

For Depression: I had moderate to severe depression on and off, mostly on, for years. Nothing seemed to work, until I tried Abilify. I take about 2-3mg a day. I have been on it for five years now with no side effects and no recurrence of depression symptoms.

May 13, 2014 6:51 AM

Review by beachbumjamie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Major Depressive Disorder: I take this for depression. It keeps me from having major depression but I have had weight gain, increased acid reflux, and changes in my menstrual cycle. Unfortunately, the weight gain is the deal breaker. I am looking for something that doesn't have that side effect. Otherwise, Abilify would be a 9. The same is with Zoloft. It cures depression but the weight gain is even more rapid. Am looking for something that can do both-stop the depression and prevent the weight gain.

April 30, 2014 8:19 AM

Review by ceecee44 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: I am diagnosed bi-polar and I have tried Lamictal, Lithium, Latuda and I don't even know how many other combinations. Abilify was the only one that has shown results for me. Yes, it tends to make me tired about 4-5 hours after taking it. And it makes me eat like a piggy sometimes, which has caused some weight gain. But nothing to severe. I take 5mg in the morning and 5mg at night, perfect dose for me. It keeps my moods perfectly balanced but I have been taking Abilify since I was 15 and I am now 20 and do not plan on stopping it anytime soon. I have tried that and it did not end well.

April 16, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by ginger103:

For Depression: Abilify worked for me within 1 1/2 weeks, yes I gained weight but I felt the best since my fibromyalgia started. But I have Medicare disability and went into doughnut hole. The $800 price point was MORE than I can handle.

April 15, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Just a guy:

For Depression: So this stuff worked wonders on depression. I couldn't believe how fast it worked and how much better it made me feel, and I mean like in less than a week! BUT the bad news for me, I had a rare side effect, the first one of my psychiatrists patients to ever get it and he had to look it up to confirm that it was being caused by the medication (although I knew it was for sure)... It made me go blind! I don't mean black out blind, but rather it made it so my pupils couldn't dilate and constrict properly so I couldn't focus my eyesight enough to even read anymore. So, 10 days after starting it I stopped and luckily 3 days after stopping my eyes started to return to normal, but that freaked me out beyond belief!!! Worked great for depression.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Tyler614:

For Depression: Within the first week of treatment, I experienced an odd tightness in my neck. My muscles seemed unusually tense. My doctor assured me that this would, in time, pass, so I continued taking Abilify. Keep in mind, I was on the lowest dose. After two weeks, the muscle tensity dramatically worsened. My head was forcibly pulled to the left by the muscle tightness. I could not look forward or to the right without using my hands to maneuver my head, fighting my own muscles. I was so scared. After two days of enduring the extreme muscle tension, I discontinued Abilify under the instruction of my doctor. Didn't improve depression either.

March 21, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by sigmapi484 (taken for less than 1 month):

For Agitated State: I took this to replace Wellbutrin, which didn't seem to work. This medication seems to make me very easily agitated not to mention the fatigue.

March 17, 2014 10:22 PM

Review by ky girl (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: I have tried many bipolar, mania medicines with none being the right one, however when my doctor prescribed Abilify it helped majorly in my life. I am on a combination of Abilify, Divalproex and Trazadone. All of which work in my favor. It is very comforting to know there is a medicine out there that understands bipolar patients.

March 4, 2014 9:21 PM

Review by Bugge:

For Depression: I have treatment resistant major depression. I was already on Zoloft 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg. Still cried all the time and had the sense of despair started Abilify 2mg and now I don't cry for no reason and the sense of despair has been MUCH less often. Also, it got rid of my anxiety almost completely. At first, I had major gas, but that went away. I also sweated like crazy and that has gone away. I would probably be dead if I didn't have this medicine.

147 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by brian t:

For Depression: Been on all sorts of meds for depression for about 15 years. I am 41 now and just started taking Abilify about 8 days ago. I started feeling better after 3 days. I have more energy and just feel so much better. I hope this helps. This medicine really works.

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness.

February 21, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

For Depression: This medication has been fantastic. My depression was pretty significant as there was nothing I wanted to do anymore other than go to sleep at night. I felt like my life was gone. Someone took it. After seeing the reviews on here, I started taking Abilify (10 mg) and it works fantastic. I started to notice a difference on the second day and I have now been on it for three weeks. I feel great. I feel like my life is back and I want to do things again. It does make you sleepy so I take it at night before I go to bed. I had a very slight increase in hunger but it was totally manageable. As long as you don't feed your face every time you feel hungry, and you stick to your normal eating amount and schedule, you wont gain any weight.

February 19, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by DavenDallas (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Autism: My stepson is now 13 years old and has been on 5mg dosage of Abilify for about 2-3 years. We discovered it when we saw a commercial for a study involving autistic children with aggressive tendencies. Since then, his behavior has improved 100% at both home and school. The only side effect, as mentioned by others, is weight gain. To this I say, take a more active role in your kid's diet and force him/her to exercise. This will offset the side-effects while still reaping the benefits.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 7, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Ianguitarist:

For Schizoaffective Disorder: Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine.

January 19, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by AliPaige (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine did not work for me. I suffer from Bipolar with mood swings and panic disorder. I went up to 10mg and It seemed to help my mood but it pushed my anxiety off the charts. I was a shaky mess while taking it and also unable to focus and complete tasks. Went off within 4 weeks.

January 10, 2014 7:34 PM

Review by Lolooooo23 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For Depression: Abilify has truly changed my life. Before I started taking it I was crying every day for hours a day, I felt a sadness for what seemed like no reason, and it just would not go away. I started with 2.5mg and felt no change but at 5mg I felt a drastic improvement in my mood. I take it in addition to Adderall XR for ADHD. I was taking Vistaril for my anxiety but that doesn't do anything but make you ridiculously tired, so I just got Klonopin, going to give that a try. My only drawback to Abilify is that for me it makes me very tired so I take it at night.

January 8, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Bipolar Bear (taken for less than 1 month):

For Bipolar Disorder: This medicine made me nervous all the time, I was a wreck, I could never sit still. It took away the mania and psychosis but left me suicidal and depressed so my psychiatrist stopped it.

December 27, 2013 5:49 AM