User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Schizoaffective Disorder 19 reviews 28 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 23 reviews 44 medications

5.4
Summary of Abilify reviews 377 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

For Major Depressive Disorder "I have been dealing with depression/major depressive disorder for 10 years. Finally I had enough of the depressive episodes and anxiety. I'm taking Abilify 2mg (AM) and Seroquel 200mg (PM). This is the best I've felt in years. I also haven't gained weight, I did have some dizziness but that lasted about a week, and is now gone. It took about two weeks to start seeing a difference in my mood."

FinallySomethingThatWorks September 29, 2014

For Depression "Caused me to feel tired with no affect at all."

SandyBlonde September 18, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "No effect after 3 months on it."

Dont'StandCloseToMe (taken for 1 to 6 months) September 15, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "Didnt work no change n mood"

maroe (taken for 1 to 2 years) September 10, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "After taking several antidepressants across medicine classes, my Dr. Prescribed Abilify to take with Wellbutrin. I took the Abilify for 4 weeks before I couldn't take it anymore. I experienced severe panic and insomnia. I am an anxious person, but I began getting extremely anxious and panicked about weird, insignificant things that had never bothered me before. Through my insurance, this medication was $75 every month. I think that would be worth it if it helped, but a complete waste to feel worse."

Suki S (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 28, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "When I was younger I was put on Abilify in combination with antidepressants. I've been off of it for about 5 years or so now. As I recall it didn't do much for me, however my weight skyrocketed during the time I was on it, and it stuck with me even after I was off of it. At my worst I was about 250 pounds. I've lost a lot of weight since then, however, I still struggle with my weight today which creates a self-esteem issue that adds to my depression."

AnonAbilify (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 23, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "I am on Prozac, Wellbutrin, and Topamax for severe depression. I was still having depressive episodes and was placed on 2mg of Abilify. I instantly felt like a new person - what a relief! The "honeymoon" period wore off fairly quickly and I had to find my correct therapeutic dose at 20mg daily. With this combination of medicines I have been depression free for about a year! For me this is very unusual and I highly recommend Abilify. I have had no side effects."

Anonymousasss August 14, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I've been taking Abilify for eight months now. Although it made me gain 15-20kg (something like 33-40 lbs I believe?), my experience is quite positive. The sadness from my major depressive episode, as well as my suicidal thoughts, have been almost annihilated. The reason why I rated it as a six is because it didn't help ease the great fatigue I have. But it helped a lot, that is for sure."

David Lawliet August 14, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "Treatment resistant depression. This medicine was the best I've tried yet. A little restless at first, but that turned into feeling somewhat exhilarated, having a stimulant effect. I dressed up every day, was social, glad to wake up. Psych nurse said I was so bright she'd need to wear shades. Alas it wore off, but everything does. No side effects, no withdrawal. A great medicine."

suzisavage54 August 12, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "So many negative side effects. This interacts HORRIBLY with THC, especially as the THC wears off, and exponentially exacerbates the intensity and length of any depressive come-down effects. In my experience it interacts with alcohol in about the same way. Also it can make women in-orgasmic."

MJude (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 12, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I was ready to walk out on my husband because of his hateful stressful presence. I sent him to the doctor and he was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and started on Abilify. It was a lifesaver for our marriage and family. He is happy, fun, and hopeful again. I thank God my prayers were answered."

:):) August 10, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "Gained 60 lbs in under 9 months while taking this."

Attracta54 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 30, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I took Abilify for one month. I had restlessness, a feeling that I needed to do something. It was a good thing in a way. At first I was more irritable but that subsided substantially after a few days. It made me feel a lot more calmer and in control of my emotions without making me feel like I was suppressing them. This is the first pharmaceutical medicine I have tried to treat my condition and it definitely worked better than the natural remedies such as St John's Wort, same, and passion flower. It even helped more than meditation. I have just switched to Latuda because Abilify gave me chest pains. If the pain was anywhere else I would of definitely stayed on the medicine because it worked. It helped me gain 10 lb which is good for me."

graysonnnnn July 29, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "Weight gain and fatigue."

Jamesiv4 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 29, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "Update: I have been on Abilify 2 mg. And 45mg Remeron three months and still doing good. Have gained 10 pounds but needed it. A little tired at times, but we'll worth it. No sexual side effects. Hoping for long term success!"

garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 26, 2014

For Depression "I had been on Risperdal for about 6 years but the weight gain symptom grew very troublesome so I tried Abilify. It seemed to work about as well as Risperdal in regards to controlling troublesome and self-injurous/suicidal thoughts, but within a week or so I had the side effect of a resting heart rate of 120 bpm that lasted about an hour. This happened about three times in the span of a few days so I had to stop taking Abilify. If I hadn't had that side effect it probably would've been a decent medication."

invisible_creeper (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2014

For Depression "By the third day that I have started this medication; I have now began to experience severe dizziness and horrible headaches. Blurred vision and nausea occurs when the dizziness and headaches are at it's peaking point. The side affects are hard to deal with, and do not seem to be going away at all, but in fact seem to intensify."

alr89 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2014

For Depression "I have suffered with depression since I was 12 years old. Knowing manic episodes would pass, I still kept thinking I absolutely couldn't live my life this way. I tried everything Prozac, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro and Seroquel. Finally after going back and forth with antidepressants. We decided to try Strattera with clonazepam instead of an antidepressant. For 10 months I did fine. Until a few weeks ago when I had the longest and one of the worst manic episodes yet. Bed bound and shower less every weekend. My doctor decided to try the Abilify 2.5mg. The first 2 days I was VERY irritable. I couldn't sleep at all, slowly those side effects are going away. I cannot describe how great I feel now, sleep still interrupted but much better."

yesyesyes! (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I was really hesitant to take Abilify after being on Zoloft and later Wellbutrin without noticing effects, but I did anyways and within a few days I started noticing effects. I feel surprisingly good now. I find myself doing chores like washing dishes or my laundry and realize that usually I would just slump around saying "I'll do it tomorrow" until I'm nearly out of clean clothes or dishes. I find myself singing to songs on the radio and my mood is not only noticeably better -- but remarkably and incredibly better. I haven't noticed any side effects except maybe that I'm a bit hungrier than usual -- for instance, I'll feel hungry and get a meal but not be able to finish it. So far, excellent results. Only about 2 weeks in."

Johnson232323 June 26, 2014

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Depression "I have suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Depression for years and have been on many different meds. The longest being Luvox. I decided to see a new Psychiatrist and she took me off of the Luvox and put me on Prozac, gradually increasing it to 60mg daily. OCD improved, but depression & GAD didn't. She then put me on 2mg Abilify added to my Prozac daily. In 3 days I started seeing improvement and feeling better than I have in many years. Life had been a struggle for me for so long and now I feel better than I have in years. I sure hope and pray that I continue to feel this way. Yes, my appetite has increased and I am gaining some much needed weight. I would still prefer these minor side effects than to go back to the old me. I give Abilify a 10 ."

Kooky01 June 18, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Major Depressive Disorder "I was put on Ability to help with Major Depression/Clinical depression, and anxiety. The side effects were life changing. Just horrible. I was put on it at 15. I had hallucinations, pass out spells, times of absolute carelessness, and increased suicidal thoughts. I also became very hateful and paranoid. I developed unexplained muscle twitches, so my doctor finally took me off of it. I also had constant migraines and increased irritability I was just a mess on this medication! I still have the muscle twitches, and it's been 5 years since I had Abilify."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 18, 2014

For Major Depressive Disorder "Exacerbated all negative feelings. Switched to Effexor worked much better."

DonFL June 14, 2014

For Depression "Tried many different antidepressants for depression and anxiety. Ended up on 45 Remeron and 2 mg of Abilify. Worked after 2 days. After months of debilitating depression and anxiety! I am so thankful. Was worried about taking an anti psychotic, because I'm not bipolar or psychotic. Got over that as soon as I saw results. Will take this medicine as long as needed. Miracle truly!"

garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Schizophrenia "Struggled with paranoia for 20 years while taking Effexor only. Checked into a psych ward after a manic episode and they added 5mg Abilify. I was skittish for a month but then the paranoia and general suspicious nature just went away.. I still see a shrink every month for upkeep but I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and I swear by this medicine! Clear head and no side effects."

Loves abilify.. (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder "I like Abilify a lot because I used to be extremely irritable. I also couldn't ride my bicycle when I was manic because I would not focus on my safety. Luckily, I now only get hypomanic episodes thanks to Abilify. I feel like I am free to get off of my emotional roller coaster and explore the world outside. The only few problems it gave me were akasthesia and weight gain. I'm 14 years old, and I don't know whether I gained 40 lbs from growing, the medicine, or both."

bigger boy (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 1, 2014