User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Autism 8 reviews 7 medications

Major Depressive Disorder 0 reviews 44 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Abilify reviews 296 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Abilify

Review by Under Control (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Works for me!

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 17, 2013 5:10 PM
Review by TJE (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I have been dealing with a bout of clinical depression since roughly November 2012. It followed a surgery gone wrong, which messed me up physically & mentally. I ended up admitting myself to a psych hospital where spent 9 days. They upped my Zoloft from 50 mg to 100 mg and did nothing else. I left there feeling just as bad as when I was admitted. Upon seeing me following my hospitalization, my psychiatrist recommended Abilify 2 mg as an add-on. He indicated that he'd been very impressed with the quick response a number of his extremely depressed patients had adding on Abilify. I started taking 2 mg two weeks ago. I cannot believe how good I feel after about 7 months of Major Depression. Must try if you take an SSRI!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 17, 2013 3:27 PM
Review by Kitty2489 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I was recently diagnosed at age 24 with Bipolar disorder (some paranoid features) co-morbid with Asperger's disorder. I have woken up in the morning all my life in an absolute rage, and my Bipolar has affected my life in more ways than I care to mention. I wish I would've known about my mental illness sooner- I thought everyone felt like I did. I have been on this medicine for a week, and for once in my life I wake up in a good mood, I stay in a good mood during the day, and am generally happy. I am extremely productive instead of either too manic or too depressed to function. The only bad thing is the akathesia, but worth it.

June 12, 2013 2:50 AM
Review by rebecca T. (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: I like the medication but it does dry me out some times. So I drink lots of water. I also do notice it helps you sleep. I haven't been on this medicine long just about two months.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 8, 2013 4:48 AM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I have suffered from major depression since I was a child and my psychiatrist put me on Abilify 10mg after a suicide attempt. This medicine has helped me tremendously! I actually have energy and motivation now and without Abilify I don't know where I would be today. The only side effect I have noticed is some shaking but not to bad. I told my psychiatrist about it and she put me on Cogentin 1mg which helps alot with the shaking! I would definitely recommend this medicine!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 7, 2013 12:40 AM
Review by azizhiyane (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: Excellent I don't hear voices. I feel normal.

May 30, 2013 7:42 PM
Review by Treefrog (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Has changed my life.

May 29, 2013 9:28 PM
Review by Lilli in Waiting (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: It's not for everyone, but I do well on it. It's a great antidepressant, and it helped me lose a lot of weight, I believe. Only downside- insomnia! But it does go away, eventually (the insomnia).

May 28, 2013 7:22 PM
Review by Bella84: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizoaffective Disorder: Abilify worked wonders for me. So far the only side effect I have is the involuntary movement of my jaw. And also I sleep like 12 hours in the morning. But so far so good. Haven't gained any weight either and I hope I don't in the future as I have been taking it for just 4 months now.

May 26, 2013 6:41 PM
Review by Anguish is gone: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I suffered from extreme depression a year ago, months on end. I tried everything and was on the verge of requesting hospitalization. I took every medicine out there and then my doctor prescribed 2mg of Ability to augment the Remeron I was on. In 1 day the nightmare was over. 1 day after months of such severe anguish that I wanted out! Today I ran into a pharmacist from my Pharmacy while out and about. She told me that her customers that are starting Abilify are reporting that their life is changed, etc. I see from the posts here that not everyone has a life changing experience but I can tell you it was a lifesaver for me. If you are at your wits end try this as an adjunct to your current medicine. It might be the ticket out of your suffering.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 3:29 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: I switched from Risperidal to Abilify two years ago. On 15mg and it works much better for me. On Risperidal my symptoms (paranoia) still poked through, but not anymore. Also the side effects are a lot less present. I still sleep about 10 hours though. Otherwise my functioning is high.

May 20, 2013 4:53 PM
Review by windy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I noticed a difference within a few days. I would recommended this medicine for people with severe depression.

April 30, 2013 8:32 AM
Review by Bethy1964: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I have been on Abilify for 2 weeks. I can now sleep better, I have had no side effects thus far. No weight gain noticed, hope I don't either.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 25, 2013 1:20 AM
Review by hans70: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Schizophrenia: Side effect: pacing alot, facial movement.

April 22, 2013 7:17 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Autism: My autistic 12 year old son was put on a low dose of Abilify in August 2012 to help with mood swings and anxiety. His emotions stabilized beautifully, but he gained an excessive amount of weight and an extreme increase in appetite. In a matter of 5 months he went from 100 pounds to 139 pounds. We've had to stop the Abilify and find an alternative so we can work on getting him to a healthier BMI.

April 22, 2013 9:24 AM
Review by Sa1159: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: After thinking that antidepressants were just a huge money maker for the pharmaceutical industry. I was prescribed 2mg of Abilify in combination with Wellbutrin (300mg), and 10mg of Prozac, I feel like a new man. I just hope that the effects don't wear off over time.

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 10, 2013 6:53 AM
Review by mysteriousprincess (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I would hide at home for months, shaking when a telephone rang. I couldn't let people go and had obsessive thoughts. Abilify gave me calm, confidence and hope. It made me less sensitive to light and time, I was no longer at the mercy of each passing moment. I woke up relaxed, went to bed without a noise in my head, inner voices stopped criticizing me, thoughts didn't race. I was creative but focused, and began wonderful new projects. Had NO side effects- NO weight gain. 'Worked magic that first day. But after a month it seemed to do nothing but make me sad. Evidently that was a manic phase. It blocks my mania, but not my depressive switch. Feels like I've traded manic depression for unipolar depression. I am being switched to lithium.

April 5, 2013 12:53 AM
Review by Beck2004: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I started Abilify on 2mg with Prozac and Klonopin. After just 3 days I felt the energy that was lacking for so many years. Before Abilify I had been on so many different antidepressants I felt there was nothing for me so I chose drinking. Wrong choice but it was the only thing that would make me feel normal. I finally quit with help from my family. I was put on Abilify, Prozac and Klonopin. I have now switched Prozac with Effexor 75 mg and Abilify 8 mg 4 mg in morning and 4mg at night 37.5 of Effexor in morning and night, also 2mg of Klonopin 2 times day or as needed. I do suffer from vivid dreams and have gained a little weight but when I was drinking I wouldn't eat and lost a lot of weight. Overall it is a godsend.

61 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 28, 2013 4:17 PM
Review by Holly2004 (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Abilify has been a life saver to me. Initially there were side affects, but I was determined to stick with it and in time, they went away. I've been on a combination of different antidepressants which just didn't seem to be working. It seems that over time, they lose their effectiveness. The depression, anxiety and panic attacks became so bad that I couldn't get out of bed, sleeping all day and staying awake all night. I had no desire or motivation to do anything. I began to become aware of suicidal thoughts which scared me. My doctor decided to add 2 mg. of Abilify to my regimen and it has worked like a miracle. My only concern is that I am still feeling some anxiety, restlessness and occasional panic which may be from the Ability.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 4, 2013 11:31 PM
Review by TERRYMARIE: User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Unfortunetly abilify didn't work for me, and there were no bad side effects from it. I have heard some good things about abilify. It just wasn't for me.

February 24, 2013 12:09 AM
Review by in my 50's (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I have taken abilify for one year. It was prescribed as an add on to Cymbalta after a suicide attempt. I feel it boosts my mood. BUT I have gained 35 pounds. I can't imagine continuing on a medication with this side effect. It is not worth it to switch my angst over life circumstances to feeling depressed over a continual weight gain.

74 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 19, 2013 3:48 AM
Review by mare bear (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Bipolar Disorder: I WAS on Abilify for more than a year. then it got prohibitively expensive. (over $250) I was on 15mg. It made my rage and aggression more manageable. I think this is a MIRACLE pill. The only side affect that DIDN'T go away, was the restless leg syndrome. If you can afford this medicine, take it, it's GREAT.

February 14, 2013 9:15 AM
Review by AnnaSophia (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: I took Abilify with Celexa for one night. It seemed to work pretty well as soon as I took it. However, only three hours later, I was sitting on the couch when suddenly my arm lifted up and flung itself over the arm rest. I didn't even feel a muscle twitch. I wouldn't have even known had I not seen it move and felt it flop against the rest. It was bizarre. Two other incidents happened that same night, so I called my doctor in a panic who told me not to take the next dose. They took me off it immediately. It allowed me to feel more relaxed. However, the side effect was so bad I couldn't even attempt to do a month of treatment without possibly injuring myself.

February 7, 2013 1:02 AM
Review by coolmom96 (taken for 2 to 5 years): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Abilify, along with Prozac has worked amazing for me. But there is a downside to using Abilify. WEIGHT GAIN! Once I started it, my appetite increased like crazy and now I've gained about 60 lbs. It's like do I want to quit taking it and go "crazy" but be thin or keep taking it and be fat and happy, literally!

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 5, 2013 3:46 PM
Review by amberwlynch (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Abilify (aripiprazole) for Depression: Made me feel worse like I was having a heart attack/panic attack. Too many side effect. No good.

February 4, 2013 11:37 PM