User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 57 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Schizophrenia

"This medication made me feel like my brain was fried it was so hard to think and it made me feel hyper on the inside but made my body feel tired and lazy it was a horrible feeling and it made my schizophrenia worse!!"

destt (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 31, 2015

"I took Abilify for only three days, half of the minimum dosage a day, which is 2,5 mg, still enough to cause me a collapse in which I almost died! I quit immediately but I still experienced heart problems for the following two months."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) July 20, 2015

"I've never taken medication for my symptoms before. This medication makes me feel loopy sometimes and it seems like my eyes fly back for a second sometimes. It helps within a few minutes of feeling anxiety or really depressed. It has so far also made the voices sound more distant."

jaysee (taken for less than 1 month) March 18, 2015

"On the good side it only had one side effect for me, and that was a little bit of a increased heart beat I could feel and it made me feel like I was going to a concert or just won a prize, it felt not too bad knowing the other medicines out there for schizophrenia. "

dalo (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 12, 2014

"My experience with abilify has been great because I no longer have schizophrenia or psychosis. I have been on this medicatiom since 2008 and I have never had any side effects at all, which is brilliant! I also feel so much better since I was diagnosed, like I am a new person."

StarryNight8496 (taken for 5 to 10 years) November 2, 2014

"I have had three psychotic breaks, all cannabis related. This medicine helped me control the last one at 20 mg while no other medicine could. The only downside are robot-like hands."

cannabis psychosis October 22, 2014

"Struggled with paranoia for 20 years while taking Effexor only. Checked into a psych ward after a manic episode and they added 5mg Abilify. I was skittish for a month but then the paranoia and general suspicious nature just went away.. I still see a shrink every month for upkeep but I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and I swear by this medicine! Clear head and no side effects."

Loves abilify.. (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 8, 2014

"Abilify has improved my negative and cognitive symptoms on dose of 25 mg after 3 weeks being on it."

Sami kk October 10, 2013

"My now 23 yr old son has been on Abilify since may 2012. Initially on Clozapine but way too zonked. His history is recreational cannabis use caused a psychotic break. Not smoking now or intending to. Hospitalized and medicated. They were surprised and pleased at how quickly he regained his self awareness, home in 2 weeks but recommended at least 6 months meds to forestall relapse. He feels very detached from us and himself, on 10 mgs still. He is nervous of relapse especially since told one of the symptoms of a recurrence would be inability to sleep. Meds reduced in December. "

mom.ie July 27, 2013

"I used to hear bad voices in my head,and thought the government was watching me, had evil thoughts in my head while hearing voices. My doctor prescribed me Abilify,and within 2 days all the voices went away, as long as I take it, the voices are not there. What a miracle it has been for me."

jjplumber (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2013

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Excellent I don't hear voices. I feel normal."

azizhiyane (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 30, 2013

"I switched from Risperidal to Abilify two years ago. On 15mg and it works much better for me. On Risperidal my symptoms (paranoia) still poked through, but not anymore. Also the side effects are a lot less present. I still sleep about 10 hours though. Otherwise my functioning is high."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) May 20, 2013

"Side effect: pacing alot, facial movement."

hans70 April 22, 2013

"Worked great on my son, but side effect of restless leg syndrome made it too annoying for him to continue to take."

Anonymous October 22, 2012

"I have recently been placed on Abilify 20mg for early onset schizophrenia. Previously I was on Amisulpride which made me very tired and gave me problems with sexual dysfunction, Abilify has provided me with a symptom free solution."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 1, 2012

"Switched to Abilify from a high dose of Risperdal. Weight gain much less of an issue with Abilify, but drowsiness, depression and lethargy are a problem. Does not help with any negative symptoms. Abilify maintains a mental state with minimal psychotic symptoms for me, but also causes lactation and motivational problems."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 5, 2012

"I took this pill for 2 months. I couldn't take it, I had nausea and vomiting. The only good thing was that I lost 20lbs when I was on it."

Anonymous July 17, 2012

"My treatment for first episode psychosis started with olanzapine (Zyprexa). It was working really well but was leading to side effects amongst which weight gain was the most significant amongst them. So, eventually aripiprazole was started and I am on it for a while. It seems to be a good medicine with very few side effects and it has worked really well."

abc12345 July 4, 2012

"It has helped a little with the voices I hear and help a lot with visual hallucinations, but not touch hallucinations. Does not help that much with Paranoia."

Anonymous May 7, 2012

"Worst experience of my life. Stuck in mental ward, oral administration at first. Unusual sensation and altered perception of internal space were the immediate experienced effects. Later injections. Developed tics that refuse to subside. Perceived loss of cognitive ability. "

DeathForDrGoldIsTooGood April 15, 2012

"Just as a warning, I got rushes of aggression on Abilify. My psych said that is not uncommon, as the medicine does not suit everyone."

Anonymous March 26, 2012

"I've been on a variety of medicines over the years, including Risperdal, Geodon with Zyprexa, and now Abilify. Though I feel I'm overly medicated at 40mg per day of Abilify, I've improved to the point where I don't hear voices or feel paranoid anymore and am active in the community. I take it at night and sleep around 9 to 10 hours per night. Not sure if that's normal with Abilify or not, but I'm not complaining. Surprisingly no other side effects."

Anonymous October 25, 2011

"So far, so good. Abilify is extremely strong, so I have found I am fine with just 5mg daily. Taking a lower dose gets rid of most of the unpleasant side effects (restlessness and constipation)."

Anonymous January 9, 2011

"I've been on Abilify for about two months. So far I've found it to be weight neutral. At first I felt faint a lot but much less now. I also had tremors at first and difficulty speaking with a lot of tiredness but all that has passed. In all it helps my psychotic symptoms and delusions, not 100% but its good enough. I would recommend it to anyone its prescribed."

anna007 March 25, 2010

"My mom who was on Prolixn for years was put on Abilify in 2005 and was on it until 2007. She became more needy and more annoying, but wasn't having the psychotic symptoms as bad. The mental health center who was regulating her medication never checked her blood sugar, only blood pressure. She took a random blood test at a Walmart store and found her blood sugar was way out of control. She comes from a family with no history of diabetes, and she did drink soda or eat high sugar foods. She stopped taking the Abilify cold turkey which caused her to rebound into severe schizophrenic episodes. No one could reason with her."

Diabetic Disaster November 19, 2009