User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify review summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

Compare all 56 medications used in the treatment of Schizophrenia.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Schizophrenia

Review by cannabis psychosis:

I have had three psychotic breaks, all cannabis related. This medicine helped me control the last one at 20 mg while no other medicine could. The only downside are robot-like hands.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 22, 2014 5:56 PM

Review by Loves abilify.. (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Struggled with paranoia for 20 years while taking Effexor only. Checked into a psych ward after a manic episode and they added 5mg Abilify. I was skittish for a month but then the paranoia and general suspicious nature just went away.. I still see a shrink every month for upkeep but I'm the happiest I've ever been in my life and I swear by this medicine! Clear head and no side effects.

June 8, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Sami kk:

Abilify has improved my negative and cognitive symptoms on dose of 25 mg after 3 weeks being on it.

October 10, 2013 6:17 PM

Review by mom.ie:

My now 23 yr old son has been on Abilify since may 2012. Initially on Clozapine but way too zonked. His history is recreational cannabis use caused a psychotic break. Not smoking now or intending to. Hospitalized and medicated. They were surprised and pleased at how quickly he regained his self awareness, home in 2 weeks but recommended at least 6 months meds to forestall relapse. He feels very detached from us and himself, on 10 mgs still. He is nervous of relapse especially since told one of the symptoms of a recurrence would be inability to sleep. Meds reduced in December.

July 27, 2013 8:05 AM

Review by jjplumber (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I used to hear bad voices in my head,and thought the government was watching me, had evil thoughts in my head while hearing voices. My doctor prescribed me Abilify,and within 2 days all the voices went away, as long as I take it, the voices are not there. What a miracle it has been for me.

June 25, 2013 6:30 AM

Review by azizhiyane (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Excellent I don't hear voices. I feel normal.

May 30, 2013 7:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I switched from Risperidal to Abilify two years ago. On 15mg and it works much better for me. On Risperidal my symptoms (paranoia) still poked through, but not anymore. Also the side effects are a lot less present. I still sleep about 10 hours though. Otherwise my functioning is high.

May 20, 2013 4:53 PM

Review by hans70:

Side effect: pacing alot, facial movement.

April 22, 2013 7:17 PM

Worked great on my son, but side effect of restless leg syndrome made it too annoying for him to continue to take.

October 22, 2012 6:08 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I have recently been placed on Abilify 20mg for early onset schizophrenia. Previously I was on Amisulpride which made me very tired and gave me problems with sexual dysfunction, Abilify has provided me with a symptom free solution.

October 1, 2012 11:56 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Switched to Abilify from a high dose of Risperdal. Weight gain much less of an issue with Abilify, but drowsiness, depression and lethargy are a problem. Does not help with any negative symptoms. Abilify maintains a mental state with minimal psychotic symptoms for me, but also causes lactation and motivational problems.

August 5, 2012 10:17 AM

I took this pill for 2 months. I couldn't take it, I had nausea and vomiting. The only good thing was that I lost 20lbs when I was on it.

July 17, 2012 6:48 PM

Review by abc12345:

My treatment for first episode psychosis started with olanzapine (Zyprexa). It was working really well but was leading to side effects amongst which weight gain was the most significant amongst them. So, eventually aripiprazole was started and I am on it for a while. It seems to be a good medicine with very few side effects and it has worked really well.

July 4, 2012 1:50 PM

It has helped a little with the voices I hear and help a lot with visual hallucinations, but not touch hallucinations. Does not help that much with Paranoia.

May 7, 2012 8:36 PM

Review by DeathForDrGoldIsTooGood:

Worst experience of my life. Stuck in mental ward, oral administration at first. Unusual sensation and altered perception of internal space were the immediate experienced effects. Later injections. Developed tics that refuse to subside. Perceived loss of cognitive ability.

April 15, 2012 1:25 PM

Just as a warning, I got rushes of aggression on Abilify. My psych said that is not uncommon, as the medicine does not suit everyone.

March 26, 2012 10:13 AM

I've been on a variety of medicines over the years, including Risperdal, Geodon with Zyprexa, and now Abilify. Though I feel I'm overly medicated at 40mg per day of Abilify, I've improved to the point where I don't hear voices or feel paranoid anymore and am active in the community. I take it at night and sleep around 9 to 10 hours per night. Not sure if that's normal with Abilify or not, but I'm not complaining. Surprisingly no other side effects.

October 25, 2011 9:03 AM

So far, so good. Abilify is extremely strong, so I have found I am fine with just 5mg daily. Taking a lower dose gets rid of most of the unpleasant side effects (restlessness and constipation).

January 9, 2011 5:57 AM

Review by anna007:

I've been on Abilify for about two months. So far I've found it to be weight neutral. At first I felt faint a lot but much less now. I also had tremors at first and difficulty speaking with a lot of tiredness but all that has passed. In all it helps my psychotic symptoms and delusions, not 100% but its good enough. I would recommend it to anyone its prescribed.

March 25, 2010 9:30 AM

Review by Diabetic Disaster:

My mom who was on Prolixn for years was put on Abilify in 2005 and was on it until 2007. She became more needy and more annoying, but wasn't having the psychotic symptoms as bad. The mental health center who was regulating her medication never checked her blood sugar, only blood pressure. She took a random blood test at a Walmart store and found her blood sugar was way out of control. She comes from a family with no history of diabetes, and she did drink soda or eat high sugar foods. She stopped taking the Abilify cold turkey which caused her to rebound into severe schizophrenic episodes. No one could reason with her.

November 19, 2009 12:15 PM

I was on one Abilify for three years, for schizophrenia. At first I thought it was pretty good. It helped with motivation. But then I started gaining weight. Weight gain on Abilify is very unusual, my doctor said. Anyway, I gained over 50kg, going from nearly skinny at 78kg (I'm 6 foot 1 inch) to morbidly obese at 132kg. Now I'm on ziprasidone (Geodon/Zeldox) and I have lost 7 kg in six months. Hopefully that weight loss will continue. So if you start gaining weight on this drug, don't ignore it, talk to your doctor about changing medicine.

October 2, 2009 10:46 PM

Review by Motherandson:

This medication has helped my son a great deal. He developed schizophrenia when he was 16.5 years old. He came forward with his symptoms at age 18 and has been on Abilify for three years. Thanks for the medication. I wish they would get a generic form of it. $700.00 a month is huge for a thirty day dose.

September 27, 2009 11:11 PM

Review by psychmarshall12:

This medication over a years period began to make me become well, not cured. I noticed it beginning in 2008. I was isolated since 1991 in my apartment. Now I'm riding the bus. I don't believe the abilify did this by itself. I helped it along.

July 24, 2009 3:06 PM

I've tried many anti-psychotics and this one seems to have a good effect.

May 7, 2009 5:12 PM

Review by klendathuu:

Works great - side effects minimal

March 15, 2009 6:52 PM