Medication Guide App

User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify review summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

Review by ginger103: User Rating:

Abilify worked for me within 1 1/2 weeks, yes I gained weight but I felt the best since my fibromyalgia started. But I have Medicare disability and went into doughnut hole. The $800 price point was MORE than I can handle.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 15, 2014 2:02 PM
Review by Just a guy: User Rating:

So this stuff worked wonders on depression. I couldn't believe how fast it worked and how much better it made me feel, and I mean like in less than a week! BUT the bad news for me, I had a rare side effect, the first one of my psychiatrists patients to ever get it and he had to look it up to confirm that it was being caused by the medication (although I knew it was for sure)... It made me go blind! I don't mean black out blind, but rather it made it so my pupils couldn't dilate and constrict properly so I couldn't focus my eyesight enough to even read anymore. So, 10 days after starting it I stopped and luckily 3 days after stopping my eyes started to return to normal, but that freaked me out beyond belief!!! Worked great for depression.

March 26, 2014 4:45 AM
Review by Tyler614: User Rating:

Within the first week of treatment, I experienced an odd tightness in my neck. My muscles seemed unusually tense. My doctor assured me that this would, in time, pass, so I continued taking Abilify. Keep in mind, I was on the lowest dose. After two weeks, the muscle tensity dramatically worsened. My head was forcibly pulled to the left by the muscle tightness. I could not look forward or to the right without using my hands to maneuver my head, fighting my own muscles. I was so scared. After two days of enduring the extreme muscle tension, I discontinued Abilify under the instruction of my doctor. Didn't improve depression either.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 11:07 PM
Review by Bugge: User Rating:

I have treatment resistant major depression. I was already on Zoloft 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg. Still cried all the time and had the sense of despair started Abilify 2mg and now I don't cry for no reason and the sense of despair has been MUCH less often. Also, it got rid of my anxiety almost completely. At first, I had major gas, but that went away. I also sweated like crazy and that has gone away. I would probably be dead if I didn't have this medicine.

February 28, 2014 11:19 AM
Review by brian t: User Rating:

Been on all sorts of meds for depression for about 15 years. I am 41 now and just started taking Abilify about 8 days ago. I started feeling better after 3 days. I have more energy and just feel so much better. I hope this helps. This medicine really works.

February 25, 2014 8:44 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

This medication has been fantastic. My depression was pretty significant as there was nothing I wanted to do anymore other than go to sleep at night. I felt like my life was gone. Someone took it. After seeing the reviews on here, I started taking Abilify (10 mg) and it works fantastic. I started to notice a difference on the second day and I have now been on it for three weeks. I feel great. I feel like my life is back and I want to do things again. It does make you sleepy so I take it at night before I go to bed. I had a very slight increase in hunger but it was totally manageable. As long as you don't feed your face every time you feel hungry, and you stick to your normal eating amount and schedule, you wont gain any weight.

February 19, 2014 11:36 AM
Review by Lolooooo23 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Abilify has truly changed my life. Before I started taking it I was crying every day for hours a day, I felt a sadness for what seemed like no reason, and it just would not go away. I started with 2.5mg and felt no change but at 5mg I felt a drastic improvement in my mood. I take it in addition to Adderall XR for ADHD. I was taking Vistaril for my anxiety but that doesn't do anything but make you ridiculously tired, so I just got Klonopin, going to give that a try. My only drawback to Abilify is that for me it makes me very tired so I take it at night.

January 8, 2014 11:31 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Works great, but watch for weight gain.

December 23, 2013 5:27 PM
Review by MS.ENERGY: User Rating:

i have been depressed most my life, it runs rampant in my family, i really dont have much to be depressed about, i have a good life, i have some bumps, been taking "SERTRALINE 200MG/DAILY", FOREVER, I WAS STUCK, THERE WERE days i would stare out my window for 8 hours doing nothing, zero energy, zero interest in anything, had to force myself to do things, thought some of this was due to being menopausal, but the doc gave me abilify, started with2mg, about 2 weeks later i felt something but not enough, went to 4mg a day with my depression pills, im telling u in one week,, someone turn the lite on, amazing, energy, interests everything, but the cost is unabtainable, no insurance been getting free samples, 1400$/month. help, i cant go off thes

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 12, 2013 9:13 AM
Review by PatientNo1 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Feeling better in 15 days or so..along with Paxil.

November 6, 2013 9:56 AM
Review by Charles Bruno: User Rating:

I took it for a few months and felt like a zombie. I've been dealing with stress and for some lame ass reasons, a health care shrink diagnosed me as bi-polar. All who know me would say that's a load of crock. Hydrocodone/Vicadon/Vallum works well with me, but no Dr.s want to perscribe it to me. They are afraid I will abuse it. I've never abused any medication, nicotine, alcholol etc. in all my 56 years on this planet. I just know what I need/want/enjoy for the time I need it. It won't fix my problems, but It certainly helps "me" fix my problems. Lately, I've been getting Vicodon off the street. I take one a day. (7.5 mg) ...occasionally two. I am more positive and one by one am getting those pesky stressful situations out of my life.

November 5, 2013 3:10 AM
Review by Joycer10: User Rating:

Been taking Abilify for 6 years or so and it worked great along with prozac. I quit the prozac about 4 months ago and have felt great just taking Abilify, BUT now I,m having side affects; muscle aches in my left arm and right leg, having a hard time walking.

October 23, 2013 1:39 PM
Review by Bimini Kricket (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I'm 32 and have been diagnosed with depression since I was about 21. I know that I was depressed way before then but, did not have the diagnosis nor knew what depression was. I was on Celexa 40mg and lithium 600mg for about 4 years. I was functional but, there was a dimension of life that I knew was missing. I did not have a taste for life. A few weeks ago, I had another major depression episode and found myself bed bound. Could not get out of bed. Would sleep for hours on end; I no longer counted days. My trichotillomania had returned with a vengeance and it brought a binge eating disorder to boot. Psychiatrist prescribed Abilify. It has been 4 days since I have taken my first dose (2mg) and I already feel like I am healed. I smiled.

95 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 20, 2013 11:08 PM
Review by tweetster: User Rating:

Worked great but after being on it for 5 years or so I got the side effect of twitching, feet would not stop twitching, moving on their own. I asked my doctor to please take me off.

September 2, 2013 9:03 AM
Review by Boston617 (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I was prescribed 5mg of Abilify as a 'booster' to the Wellbutrin 200mg I have been taking for over 5 years. The combination is great! I felt like myself in only a few days and it has continued to be effective over the past 18 months that I've been on the combination. I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about this, it has changed my life!

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 28, 2013 5:23 PM
Review by AustinWyatt: User Rating:

I started 20 MG of Prozac over a year ago and it has since been increased to 60 MG a day. I addition to that I started BuSpar 5 MG about 6 months ago and that also has been increased to 15 MG a day. Even between the two, I still didn't feel like myself again, then I started 5 MG of Abilify a month ago. It has been a blessing. I am doing this now, and becoming less introverted, and I get great satisfaction over small things like simple conversations with friends and family. As it was originally difficult for me to be okay with admitting I was depressed to begin with, I was a little hesitant to take a medicine originally prescribed to those with schizophrenia. Now I am proud to say that I take it, because now I have my life back.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 25, 2013 1:42 PM
Review by Abilify believer (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

For the past 20 years I have been on antidepressants, longest being Remeron. Along with the depression I have had periods of intense anxiety, unbelievably intense, to the extent that I could not stand to be here. In December of 2011 I was in the throws of anxiety and my psych doc suggested 2mg Abilify (in addition to the Remeron). My anxiety was GONE in a day and it has stayed GONE, My depression is gone as well, My pharmacist has told me that others have had a similar experience and are as amazed as I am. I can't say enough about this medicine, amazing, just amazing.

94 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
August 8, 2013 5:49 PM
Review by jen62 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

After 7 weeks on Lexapro & seeing no change at all in depression or anxiety, my primary care doc switched me to Abilify (only). I was on Abilify previously with Remeron and did well. I was told by doc on Friday 7/19 that I should start feeling better by Monday & he was right! I feel almost like myself again. Wake up a few times during the night, but am able to go right back to sleep. Still have some anxiety in the mornings (it used to be debilitating and would have to take 1mg of Ativan to calm down). This morning I only had to take 0.5 of the Ativan, so I think this is really working good. I also just got a new small dog on Sunday, which I'm sure helps also with the depression/anxiety but the change is so great I had to share.

July 24, 2013 3:58 PM
Review by CMH67 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been taking different depression medicines for over 20 yrs. Been taking Celexa for the past 4, but even with an increase, I noticed no difference. I didn't realize that depression was causing me to sleep constantly. I could barely function due to my fatigue. I'm a homemaker that could barely get through one little chore a day. After starting 5mg of Abilify, I am a new person! No more naps, rested in the morning, & getting a lot accomplished every day. I am so relieved, & feel so much energy! My appetite has increased, so I hope this is a temporary side effect. Sometimes I feel like I can't sit still either, so I may cut back on the dosage. I've got my life back, & so hope this medicine can help others that are suffering!

87 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 22, 2013 3:27 PM
Review by anonymous153: User Rating:

For the past three months I experienced severe anxiety and depression likely due to intense work stress. Feelings and dread and doom were constant and overwhelming. I had a similar episode about 15 years ago and a GP prescribed Luvox. Within weeks, I felt normal and alive. I've been on it ever since. I finally decided to see a psychiatrist. Well, after an hour meeting and 7 pages of notes, she diagnosed me with severe obsessive compulsive disorder and depression and added a small dose of Abilify. The change was immediate and remarkable. The anxiety is greatly reduced. The depression seems gone. The racing thoughts, while not gone, are reduced. I have energy, however, I constantly feel hungry. I hope it continues.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
July 8, 2013 11:13 AM
Review by TJE (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

I have been dealing with a bout of clinical depression since roughly November 2012. It followed a surgery gone wrong, which messed me up physically & mentally. I ended up admitting myself to a psych hospital where spent 9 days. They upped my Zoloft from 50 mg to 100 mg and did nothing else. I left there feeling just as bad as when I was admitted. Upon seeing me following my hospitalization, my psychiatrist recommended Abilify 2 mg as an add-on. He indicated that he'd been very impressed with the quick response a number of his extremely depressed patients had adding on Abilify. I started taking 2 mg two weeks ago. I cannot believe how good I feel after about 7 months of Major Depression. Must try if you take an SSRI!

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 17, 2013 3:27 PM
Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

I have suffered from major depression since I was a child and my psychiatrist put me on Abilify 10mg after a suicide attempt. This medicine has helped me tremendously! I actually have energy and motivation now and without Abilify I don't know where I would be today. The only side effect I have noticed is some shaking but not to bad. I told my psychiatrist about it and she put me on Cogentin 1mg which helps alot with the shaking! I would definitely recommend this medicine!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
June 7, 2013 12:40 AM
Review by Treefrog (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

Has changed my life.

May 29, 2013 9:28 PM
Review by Anguish is gone: User Rating:

I suffered from extreme depression a year ago, months on end. I tried everything and was on the verge of requesting hospitalization. I took every medicine out there and then my doctor prescribed 2mg of Ability to augment the Remeron I was on. In 1 day the nightmare was over. 1 day after months of such severe anguish that I wanted out! Today I ran into a pharmacist from my Pharmacy while out and about. She told me that her customers that are starting Abilify are reporting that their life is changed, etc. I see from the posts here that not everyone has a life changing experience but I can tell you it was a lifesaver for me. If you are at your wits end try this as an adjunct to your current medicine. It might be the ticket out of your suffering.

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 24, 2013 3:29 PM
Review by windy (taken for 1 to 6 months): User Rating:

I noticed a difference within a few days. I would recommended this medicine for people with severe depression.

April 30, 2013 8:32 AM