User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Rating Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 223 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"Been on the drug for a few months now put on 2 stone and not happy about the weight at all as always have battled with my weight. Everyone says they have noticed the difference in me but think it's just the weight that's getting me down."

LOl lol May 12, 2016

"I have suffered depression most of my life and finally was "diagnosed" by a psychopharmacologist in 2011. I have been on pretty much every antidepressant known to man over the past 20 years and finally was put on a cocktail of Lithium, Prozac, Wellbutrin and Conazepam (at bedtime). I had also taken Abilify at this time for about 1 year but the doctor felt I probably didn't need it anymore as I was stable. However, for about the past 2 years I have been suffering from MAJOR fatigue and some days I was unable to go work as I was so tired. My GP has just put me back on Abilify 5 mg and I feel fantastic. I have so much energy and I have found happiness and enjoyment in the things I had lost interest in."

Whanes (taken for less than 1 month) April 30, 2016

"I was told by my doctor that I might gain weight. He said that the signal in the brain that says, "Thank you, I've had enough!" which is what I always go by, and it keeps my weight steady, is DELAYED. It's TRUE. he says portion control is the key. We shall see. I'm trying but I've already gained about three pounds and notice that I eat way more. I'll let you know if I get a handle on it. The drug is THE one added to my cocktail that made the difference."

Barbay (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 25, 2016

"On 2 mg. It made me feel empty inside. Like things didn't bring excitement, adrenaline. Everything seemed blank. Had major sweet cravings for the first month or two but it leveled off. The most sweet cravings were at 5 mg a day. Really brought reality into full focus. Got it a pharmacy that use a different supplier that's cheaper."

Louann pouvie February 29, 2016

"Our 12 year old son was having terrible anxiety and could not get along with anyone at school. He did not trust anyone and would not listen to anyone either. He suggested suicide more than once but thankfully never went through with it. We regularly saw a therapist but would not listen. We reluctantly decided to add the smallest dose of abilify to his depression medicine. In approximately 2 days we saw an immediate change. He seems more "balanced" and the anxiety level down significantly. It has only been 2 weeks....but so far so good."

jwjbs February 27, 2016

"Night and day positive effect"

Afortg (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 23, 2016

"I started on this medication just 3 days ago at 2 mg. In conjunction with celexa 40 mg and 90 mg cymbalta. I have noticed some mild nausea but nothing else yet. To the 12 yr old girl, my doctor and pharmacy said this medication abilify should not be taken by anyone under 18 years."

Parkerbelle January 18, 2016

"I started this medication when I was about 11 or 12 and took it for 6 months. It made me so anxious and so restless I remember having to get up in the middle of class several times to get a drink of water to try and stop my anxiety. I had several episodes of this and always felt that I had to be moving. Maybe I was too young to be on the medicine though..."

JBrown92 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 16, 2016

"I've been suffering with dibilitating depression, anxiety, and OCD for over 20 years. I've was in remission for 8 years, but this time it came back with a vengeance! I was really losing hope. I have tried every single antidep out there, and the ones that worked very well before, don't work anymore. I've been on a roller coaster and fighting for over 7 years to get my life back. It's been a living hell. I could hardly get out of bed, taking a shower was too much, even putting my seatbelt on seemed like a chore. If you have ever suffered, you know what I'm talking about! I was put on Abilify to help with my Effexor just three days ago and I already feel like I can conquer the world...I just pray it lasts! "

TexasSunshine January 10, 2016

91 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"This medication is amazing, but after 2 months I gained 20lbs. :/"

Cheraldi (taken for 1 to 6 months) December 29, 2015

"I was feeling like I was in a hole and couldn't get out of it. Nothing was working. I am now on lamictal and abilify and within a week I was feeling better. I take them both at night I don't know if that makes a difference, but I always wake up early with lots of ENERGY and ready to do whatever. Which before all I could do was lay in bed. I hope I don't gain any weight, I haven't yet and haven't experienced any over eating and I'm on 10mg abilify and 200mg of lamictal. So they have both worked wonders for my depression. With no side effects that I can see yet."

skunky344 December 13, 2015

"My lexapro stopped working so I was switched to prozac. While prozac did help some it didn't help enough. My psychiatrist prescribed abilify at 2mg to add on to 60mg of prozac. Within 2 days I was pulled out of the dark hole I was in and my crying spells were gone. This pill is a miracle pill."

LALDO November 9, 2015

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"My anxiety and then depression began about 4 months ago. I didn't want to get out of bed, and had compulsive negative thoughts, no energy or motivation, and couldn't sleep, lost 20 pounds. I was prescribed Lexapro generic. This med did almost nothing for 3 months. Within a week of adding Abilify generic, most symptoms changed. I feel much better, have appetite, better energy, appetite, optimism, more like me, and motivated to get out of bed when I wake up...which is great."

Rand1 November 8, 2015

"Abilify does not work. It is not the medication for me. My heart races I can't breathe half of the time right I get dizzy I'm panicky and unmotivated I'm Droggy and always lethargic very down and it has the opposite effect. !!!"

Lovable key (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 6, 2015

"Taking this in conjunction with Wellbutrin and Buspar gave me my life back. My mood is stable, I'm happy, excited, and not over the top either. The trade name really describes this medication well that's for sure. However, this isn't for everyone. Also I must note the first 5 days kind of suck. I felt like my head was spinning and I felt nauseated like I was on a roller coaster all the time. Never threw up though. SO glad I stuck with it though. Well worth it in the end."

Leandre3452 September 1, 2015

"Well I was on Wellbutrin, Ciprolex, and Carbamazapine to start with, but was still having issues with some symptoms hanging around, such as lack of motivation and aches and pains.. When my psychiatrist put me on the Abilify, he warned me that I might LOSE weight. I laughed at this because usually these types of meds have the opposite effect.. and according to a lot of the reviews, that seems to be the case. But sure enough, within a couple weeks I had started noticing that my clothes were getting looser and my family started commenting their concern (I was already a healthy weight before).. I ended up going off of the Abilify because 1 and a half months later I had lost over 20lbs and literally underweight. Scary stuff! Great otherwise.."

lugubrious_1 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 28, 2015

"Oh my godness this sucks. I have delusional disorder and this doesn't helped me with my paranoias nor with my depression."

omggggggg July 24, 2015

"This medicine works great. The price point is high, but you guys don't have to pay it. The manufacturer has a coupon that you take to the pharmacy that you can get online. It reduces the copay to just $5.00."

Pickles1969 June 23, 2015

"I started on 2.5 mg and it really worked in conjunction with Prozac to pull me out of deep depression. Eventually my doctor said it was ok to reduce to 1.25mg since I had gained weight. I eventually gained more weight, my sugars and cholesterol rose, and I shake slightly now. I decided to stop completely and that was a BIG mistake. This drug has serious withdrawal symptoms, even at a low dose like mine. The recommended weaning process is 10% less for 30 days, than a 30 day waiting period to adjust. I am currently on 1.125 mg and I'm starting to have some withdrawal symptoms, but not too bad like stopping cold turkey. I experienced panic attacks, anxiety, fearfulness, agoraphobia, and nausea."

RoQ June 16, 2015

"Abilify worked wonders for my chronic depression BUT I was sleeping heaps and gained 35 kilos in two years. No, I wasn't eating much! started only eating one meal a day when the weight started. It was not about food. Prior to abilify I went to gym four x week. Gained weight despite what I ate n how much I exercised. I ended up quitting the gym and now my heads straight but I am obese and suffer poor self esteem. Eh big price for my sanity since I detest being fat. The pill itself does work though and treats it"

bpp June 11, 2015

"What a nightmare. I even got lock-jaw symptoms."

Monkey5685 June 4, 2015

"I started taking ability a week ago, I was very tired and felt kind of sick to my stomach first few days. I started to get my apaetite back which is awesome and feel a little more motivated and well. It physically just makes me feel good and emotionally I feel the same but more able to deal with them in a reasonable way instead of stuffing my face with cigarettes and coffee. The exhaustion got too much for me when doc uped the dose so I just went back to a dose I can manage right now with work and life. Will post more later."

brianmw May 27, 2015

"I was prescribed 2.5 mg/day Abilify to augment 40 mg/day Celexa (for anxiety) and 150 mg/day Trazadone (for insomnia) in order to address my depression as the other 2 medicines didn't seem to help. Within a week I did notice an improvement in my mood and motivation. Nothing earth shattering but noticeable. Hoping my doctor will bump me up next time I see him. I have not had any problems so far concerning increased hunger or any other side effects except for the first 4 days or so I did get heartburn and hiccups but these have passed."

Birdgirl66 May 16, 2015

"It worked ok for a short while but I gained 30 lbs in a year. Was hungry all the time."

nightfever57 March 8, 2015

"Don't let others' bad experiences prevent you from trying this medication. It is strong, yes, and it will affect the chemical balance in your brain and shouldn't be taken lightly, but I'm an example of it working. I used to have bouts of crying randomly, seriously depressed, no will to do much of anything. I started this, kept with it through the side effects and it has been a life changer with my antidepressant. I still feel, but less intensely/exaggerated. It keeps me level headed generally. The first week I felt a little nauseated, and it does increase appetite, but if you don't overeat, you won't gain weight with this medicine."

the.coochie February 11, 2015

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 Next