User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify review summary

7.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 137 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

Review by invisible_creeper (taken for less than 1 month):

I had been on Risperdal for about 6 years but the weight gain symptom grew very troublesome so I tried Abilify. It seemed to work about as well as Risperdal in regards to controlling troublesome and self-injurous/suicidal thoughts, but within a week or so I had the side effect of a resting heart rate of 120 bpm that lasted about an hour. This happened about three times in the span of a few days so I had to stop taking Abilify. If I hadn't had that side effect it probably would've been a decent medication.

July 21, 2014 5:39 PM

Review by alr89 (taken for less than 1 month):

By the third day that I have started this medication; I have now began to experience severe dizziness and horrible headaches. Blurred vision and nausea occurs when the dizziness and headaches are at it's peaking point. The side affects are hard to deal with, and do not seem to be going away at all, but in fact seem to intensify.

July 19, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by yesyesyes! (taken for less than 1 month):

I have suffered with depression since I was 12 years old. Knowing manic episodes would pass, I still kept thinking I absolutely couldn't live my life this way. I tried everything Prozac, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro and Seroquel. Finally after going back and forth with antidepressants. We decided to try Strattera with clonazepam instead of an antidepressant. For 10 months I did fine. Until a few weeks ago when I had the longest and one of the worst manic episodes yet. Bed bound and shower less every weekend. My doctor decided to try the Abilify 2.5mg. The first 2 days I was VERY irritable. I couldn't sleep at all, slowly those side effects are going away. I cannot describe how great I feel now, sleep still interrupted but much better.

July 16, 2014 10:20 AM

Review by Johnson232323:

I was really hesitant to take Abilify after being on Zoloft and later Wellbutrin without noticing effects, but I did anyways and within a few days I started noticing effects. I feel surprisingly good now. I find myself doing chores like washing dishes or my laundry and realize that usually I would just slump around saying "I'll do it tomorrow" until I'm nearly out of clean clothes or dishes. I find myself singing to songs on the radio and my mood is not only noticeably better -- but remarkably and incredibly better. I haven't noticed any side effects except maybe that I'm a bit hungrier than usual -- for instance, I'll feel hungry and get a meal but not be able to finish it. So far, excellent results. Only about 2 weeks in.

June 26, 2014 10:18 PM

Review by Kooky01:

I have suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Depression for years and have been on many different meds. The longest being Luvox. I decided to see a new Psychiatrist and she took me off of the Luvox and put me on Prozac, gradually increasing it to 60mg daily. OCD improved, but depression & GAD didn't. She then put me on 2mg Abilify added to my Prozac daily. In 3 days I started seeing improvement and feeling better than I have in many years. Life had been a struggle for me for so long and now I feel better than I have in years. I sure hope and pray that I continue to feel this way. Yes, my appetite has increased and I am gaining some much needed weight. I would still prefer these minor side effects than to go back to the old me. I give Abilify a 10 .

June 18, 2014 2:20 PM

Review by garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Tried many different antidepressants for depression and anxiety. Ended up on 45 Remeron and 2 mg of Abilify. Worked after 2 days. After months of debilitating depression and anxiety! I am so thankful. Was worried about taking an anti psychotic, because I'm not bipolar or psychotic. Got over that as soon as I saw results. Will take this medicine as long as needed. Miracle truly!

June 10, 2014 12:34 PM

Review by Olivia A:

I had moderate to severe depression on and off, mostly on, for years. Nothing seemed to work, until I tried Abilify. I take about 2-3mg a day. I have been on it for five years now with no side effects and no recurrence of depression symptoms.

May 13, 2014 6:51 AM

Review by ginger103:

Abilify worked for me within 1 1/2 weeks, yes I gained weight but I felt the best since my fibromyalgia started. But I have Medicare disability and went into doughnut hole. The $800 price point was MORE than I can handle.

April 15, 2014 2:02 PM

Review by Just a guy:

So this stuff worked wonders on depression. I couldn't believe how fast it worked and how much better it made me feel, and I mean like in less than a week! BUT the bad news for me, I had a rare side effect, the first one of my psychiatrists patients to ever get it and he had to look it up to confirm that it was being caused by the medication (although I knew it was for sure)... It made me go blind! I don't mean black out blind, but rather it made it so my pupils couldn't dilate and constrict properly so I couldn't focus my eyesight enough to even read anymore. So, 10 days after starting it I stopped and luckily 3 days after stopping my eyes started to return to normal, but that freaked me out beyond belief!!! Worked great for depression.

March 26, 2014 4:45 AM

Review by Tyler614:

Within the first week of treatment, I experienced an odd tightness in my neck. My muscles seemed unusually tense. My doctor assured me that this would, in time, pass, so I continued taking Abilify. Keep in mind, I was on the lowest dose. After two weeks, the muscle tensity dramatically worsened. My head was forcibly pulled to the left by the muscle tightness. I could not look forward or to the right without using my hands to maneuver my head, fighting my own muscles. I was so scared. After two days of enduring the extreme muscle tension, I discontinued Abilify under the instruction of my doctor. Didn't improve depression either.

March 21, 2014 11:07 PM

Review by Bugge:

I have treatment resistant major depression. I was already on Zoloft 200mg and Wellbutrin 300 mg. Still cried all the time and had the sense of despair started Abilify 2mg and now I don't cry for no reason and the sense of despair has been MUCH less often. Also, it got rid of my anxiety almost completely. At first, I had major gas, but that went away. I also sweated like crazy and that has gone away. I would probably be dead if I didn't have this medicine.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2014 11:19 AM

Review by brian t:

Been on all sorts of meds for depression for about 15 years. I am 41 now and just started taking Abilify about 8 days ago. I started feeling better after 3 days. I have more energy and just feel so much better. I hope this helps. This medicine really works.

55 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 25, 2014 8:44 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

This medication has been fantastic. My depression was pretty significant as there was nothing I wanted to do anymore other than go to sleep at night. I felt like my life was gone. Someone took it. After seeing the reviews on here, I started taking Abilify (10 mg) and it works fantastic. I started to notice a difference on the second day and I have now been on it for three weeks. I feel great. I feel like my life is back and I want to do things again. It does make you sleepy so I take it at night before I go to bed. I had a very slight increase in hunger but it was totally manageable. As long as you don't feed your face every time you feel hungry, and you stick to your normal eating amount and schedule, you wont gain any weight.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2014 11:36 AM

Review by Lolooooo23 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Abilify has truly changed my life. Before I started taking it I was crying every day for hours a day, I felt a sadness for what seemed like no reason, and it just would not go away. I started with 2.5mg and felt no change but at 5mg I felt a drastic improvement in my mood. I take it in addition to Adderall XR for ADHD. I was taking Vistaril for my anxiety but that doesn't do anything but make you ridiculously tired, so I just got Klonopin, going to give that a try. My only drawback to Abilify is that for me it makes me very tired so I take it at night.

January 8, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Works great, but watch for weight gain.

December 23, 2013 5:27 PM

Review by MS.ENERGY:

i have been depressed most my life, it runs rampant in my family, i really dont have much to be depressed about, i have a good life, i have some bumps, been taking "SERTRALINE 200MG/DAILY", FOREVER, I WAS STUCK, THERE WERE days i would stare out my window for 8 hours doing nothing, zero energy, zero interest in anything, had to force myself to do things, thought some of this was due to being menopausal, but the doc gave me abilify, started with2mg, about 2 weeks later i felt something but not enough, went to 4mg a day with my depression pills, im telling u in one week,, someone turn the lite on, amazing, energy, interests everything, but the cost is unabtainable, no insurance been getting free samples, 1400$/month. help, i cant go off thes

73 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 12, 2013 9:13 AM

Review by PatientNo1 (taken for less than 1 month):

Feeling better in 15 days or so..along with Paxil.

November 6, 2013 9:56 AM

Review by Charles Bruno:

I took it for a few months and felt like a zombie. I've been dealing with stress and for some lame ass reasons, a health care shrink diagnosed me as bi-polar. All who know me would say that's a load of crock. Hydrocodone/Vicadon/Vallum works well with me, but no Dr.s want to perscribe it to me. They are afraid I will abuse it. I've never abused any medication, nicotine, alcholol etc. in all my 56 years on this planet. I just know what I need/want/enjoy for the time I need it. It won't fix my problems, but It certainly helps "me" fix my problems. Lately, I've been getting Vicodon off the street. I take one a day. (7.5 mg) ...occasionally two. I am more positive and one by one am getting those pesky stressful situations out of my life.

November 5, 2013 3:10 AM

Review by Joycer10:

Been taking Abilify for 6 years or so and it worked great along with prozac. I quit the prozac about 4 months ago and have felt great just taking Abilify, BUT now I,m having side affects; muscle aches in my left arm and right leg, having a hard time walking.

October 23, 2013 1:39 PM

Review by Bimini Kricket (taken for less than 1 month):

I'm 32 and have been diagnosed with depression since I was about 21. I know that I was depressed way before then but, did not have the diagnosis nor knew what depression was. I was on Celexa 40mg and lithium 600mg for about 4 years. I was functional but, there was a dimension of life that I knew was missing. I did not have a taste for life. A few weeks ago, I had another major depression episode and found myself bed bound. Could not get out of bed. Would sleep for hours on end; I no longer counted days. My trichotillomania had returned with a vengeance and it brought a binge eating disorder to boot. Psychiatrist prescribed Abilify. It has been 4 days since I have taken my first dose (2mg) and I already feel like I am healed. I smiled.

109 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 11:08 PM

Review by tweetster:

Worked great but after being on it for 5 years or so I got the side effect of twitching, feet would not stop twitching, moving on their own. I asked my doctor to please take me off.

September 2, 2013 9:03 AM

Review by Boston617 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

I was prescribed 5mg of Abilify as a 'booster' to the Wellbutrin 200mg I have been taking for over 5 years. The combination is great! I felt like myself in only a few days and it has continued to be effective over the past 18 months that I've been on the combination. I would highly recommend talking to your doctor about this, it has changed my life!

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 28, 2013 5:23 PM

Review by AustinWyatt:

I started 20 MG of Prozac over a year ago and it has since been increased to 60 MG a day. I addition to that I started BuSpar 5 MG about 6 months ago and that also has been increased to 15 MG a day. Even between the two, I still didn't feel like myself again, then I started 5 MG of Abilify a month ago. It has been a blessing. I am doing this now, and becoming less introverted, and I get great satisfaction over small things like simple conversations with friends and family. As it was originally difficult for me to be okay with admitting I was depressed to begin with, I was a little hesitant to take a medicine originally prescribed to those with schizophrenia. Now I am proud to say that I take it, because now I have my life back.

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 25, 2013 1:42 PM

Review by Abilify believer (taken for 1 to 2 years):

For the past 20 years I have been on antidepressants, longest being Remeron. Along with the depression I have had periods of intense anxiety, unbelievably intense, to the extent that I could not stand to be here. In December of 2011 I was in the throws of anxiety and my psych doc suggested 2mg Abilify (in addition to the Remeron). My anxiety was GONE in a day and it has stayed GONE, My depression is gone as well, My pharmacist has told me that others have had a similar experience and are as amazed as I am. I can't say enough about this medicine, amazing, just amazing.

103 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 8, 2013 5:49 PM

Review by jen62 (taken for less than 1 month):

After 7 weeks on Lexapro & seeing no change at all in depression or anxiety, my primary care doc switched me to Abilify (only). I was on Abilify previously with Remeron and did well. I was told by doc on Friday 7/19 that I should start feeling better by Monday & he was right! I feel almost like myself again. Wake up a few times during the night, but am able to go right back to sleep. Still have some anxiety in the mornings (it used to be debilitating and would have to take 1mg of Ativan to calm down). This morning I only had to take 0.5 of the Ativan, so I think this is really working good. I also just got a new small dog on Sunday, which I'm sure helps also with the depression/anxiety but the change is so great I had to share.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 24, 2013 3:58 PM