User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Review Summary

7.0/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 134 medications used in the treatment of Depression.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Depression

"This medicine works great. The price point is high, but you guys don't have to pay it. The manufacturer has a coupon that you take to the pharmacy that you can get online. It reduces the copay to just $5.00."

Pickles1969 June 23, 2015

"I started on 2.5 mg and it really worked in conjunction with Prozac to pull me out of deep depression. Eventually my doctor said it was ok to reduce to 1.25mg since I had gained weight. I eventually gained more weight, my sugars and cholesterol rose, and I shake slightly now. I decided to stop completely and that was a BIG mistake. This drug has serious withdrawal symptoms, even at a low dose like mine. The recommended weaning process is 10% less for 30 days, than a 30 day waiting period to adjust. I am currently on 1.125 mg and I'm starting to have some withdrawal symptoms, but not too bad like stopping cold turkey. I experienced panic attacks, anxiety, fearfulness, agoraphobia, and nausea."

RoQ June 16, 2015

"Abilify worked wonders for my chronic depression BUT I was sleeping heaps and gained 35 kilos in two years. No, I wasn't eating much! started only eating one meal a day when the weight started. It was not about food. Prior to abilify I went to gym four x week. Gained weight despite what I ate n how much I exercised. I ended up quitting the gym and now my heads straight but I am obese and suffer poor self esteem. Eh big price for my sanity since I detest being fat. The pill itself does work though and treats it"

bpp June 11, 2015

"What a nightmare. I even got lock-jaw symptoms."

Monkey5685 June 4, 2015

"I started taking ability a week ago, I was very tired and felt kind of sick to my stomach first few days. I started to get my apaetite back which is awesome and feel a little more motivated and well. It physically just makes me feel good and emotionally I feel the same but more able to deal with them in a reasonable way instead of stuffing my face with cigarettes and coffee. The exhaustion got too much for me when doc uped the dose so I just went back to a dose I can manage right now with work and life. Will post more later."

brianmw May 27, 2015

"I was prescribed 2.5 mg/day Abilify to augment 40 mg/day Celexa (for anxiety) and 150 mg/day Trazadone (for insomnia) in order to address my depression as the other 2 medicines didn't seem to help. Within a week I did notice an improvement in my mood and motivation. Nothing earth shattering but noticeable. Hoping my doctor will bump me up next time I see him. I have not had any problems so far concerning increased hunger or any other side effects except for the first 4 days or so I did get heartburn and hiccups but these have passed."

Birdgirl66 May 16, 2015

"It worked ok for a short while but I gained 30 lbs in a year. Was hungry all the time."

nightfever57 March 8, 2015

"Don't let others' bad experiences prevent you from trying this medication. It is strong, yes, and it will affect the chemical balance in your brain and shouldn't be taken lightly, but I'm an example of it working. I used to have bouts of crying randomly, seriously depressed, no will to do much of anything. I started this, kept with it through the side effects and it has been a life changer with my antidepressant. I still feel, but less intensely/exaggerated. It keeps me level headed generally. The first week I felt a little nauseated, and it does increase appetite, but if you don't overeat, you won't gain weight with this medicine."

the.coochie February 11, 2015

"Taking Abilify greatly improved my mood, anxiety and depression. However approximately 2 months into treatment I started having severe headaches, face and lips swelled also breast tenderness and warm to touch. Today I decided to discontinue the medication. Over all it's a very good medication, I just can't take it."

shonest8 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 27, 2015

"I was in severe depression. Working with a great psychiatrist who had me on Lamictal and Celexa with no change. He added 2.5mg of Abilify and by the 2nd day, I was myself again. Still feel great with good energy level and ability to cope."

cyclinga1a January 22, 2015

85 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Abilify has worked wonders for me. I told my doctor that I just didn't seem to care if I did things or not, and that things just didn't bother me enough to make me want to fix them. She gave me Abilify and even though I had my doubts that anything would work, 3 days after starting taking them, I found myself not wanting to stay still long enough to watch a whole TV show, because I felt there was better things I could be doing. I have been cleaning, rearranging, and packing away things every day since it took effect. I have never been one to want to do stuff. I would do what needed doing, but nothing more. Now, I just want to do it all. Love this stuff."

Rodisms November 25, 2014

143 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have been struggling with postnatal depression for nine months; really, for the last 2.5 years as I had two babies 19 months apart. I was placed on Wellbutrin which helped with the physical effects but did not improve mood, I was then placed on Lexapro, then Prozac, then Zoloft and although some did improve my mood they all made me so tired I couldn't stay awake. They also made me feel disconnected and like I was observing emotions instead of feeling them. I was cold. Finally my doctor gave me Abilify to use with the Wellbutrin and it has completely changed me whole aspect. I feel like myself, for the first in years. I am awake, working hard, engaged, focused... it's my miracle! Even if it is $800 a month!"

Rake82 November 16, 2014

"Beware Abilify, watch your weight. I stayed on Abilify for 7 months faithfully, hoping that the pros would outweigh the cons. The result? I gained 90 lbs in 7 months and this weight does not "shed" with discontinued use, I'll be working out hard to lose this. I'm only 25."

Psycho :) (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 4, 2014

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have had it all basically. Had a manic episode in 2009, and then a repeat in 2011, but not as severe. I was okay before that had had no problems with anything maybe a little anxiety. Now that I am older and on my own most days I've had some pretty rocky months, and I was concerned and a bit frightened that the depression would rip me up. I was hesitant to try it because I take Ativan during the day. My doctor suggested Abilify. I have bipolar as well and can't take any antidepressants. He told me to start with a quarter for a week, and really thought it wouldn't work. It was a miracle. I then started taking 2mg at night and have been noticing I've been waking up earlier. Doing things that I would hold off till 3pm. Wonderful."

Kenzie444 October 17, 2014

98 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have social anxiety and depression. However, taking Abilify for about 8 years, I stopped drawing and was extremely drowsy. Had I not also been on Concerta, I would have been asleep the whole time."

ignored by drs, drowsy from abilify (taken for 5 to 10 years) October 7, 2014

"Caused me to feel tired with no affect at all."

SandyBlonde September 18, 2014

"I had been on Risperdal for about 6 years but the weight gain symptom grew very troublesome so I tried Abilify. It seemed to work about as well as Risperdal in regards to controlling troublesome and self-injurous/suicidal thoughts, but within a week or so I had the side effect of a resting heart rate of 120 bpm that lasted about an hour. This happened about three times in the span of a few days so I had to stop taking Abilify. If I hadn't had that side effect it probably would've been a decent medication."

invisible_creeper (taken for less than 1 month) July 21, 2014

"By the third day that I have started this medication; I have now began to experience severe dizziness and horrible headaches. Blurred vision and nausea occurs when the dizziness and headaches are at it's peaking point. The side affects are hard to deal with, and do not seem to be going away at all, but in fact seem to intensify."

alr89 (taken for less than 1 month) July 19, 2014

"I have suffered with depression since I was 12 years old. Knowing manic episodes would pass, I still kept thinking I absolutely couldn't live my life this way. I tried everything Prozac, Wellbutrin, Celexa, Lexapro and Seroquel. Finally after going back and forth with antidepressants. We decided to try Strattera with clonazepam instead of an antidepressant. For 10 months I did fine. Until a few weeks ago when I had the longest and one of the worst manic episodes yet. Bed bound and shower less every weekend. My doctor decided to try the Abilify 2.5mg. The first 2 days I was VERY irritable. I couldn't sleep at all, slowly those side effects are going away. I cannot describe how great I feel now, sleep still interrupted but much better."

yesyesyes! (taken for less than 1 month) July 16, 2014

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I was really hesitant to take Abilify after being on Zoloft and later Wellbutrin without noticing effects, but I did anyways and within a few days I started noticing effects. I feel surprisingly good now. I find myself doing chores like washing dishes or my laundry and realize that usually I would just slump around saying "I'll do it tomorrow" until I'm nearly out of clean clothes or dishes. I find myself singing to songs on the radio and my mood is not only noticeably better -- but remarkably and incredibly better. I haven't noticed any side effects except maybe that I'm a bit hungrier than usual -- for instance, I'll feel hungry and get a meal but not be able to finish it. So far, excellent results. Only about 2 weeks in."

Johnson232323 June 26, 2014

162 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I have suffered from obsessive compulsive disorder, generalized anxiety disorder and Depression for years and have been on many different meds. The longest being Luvox. I decided to see a new Psychiatrist and she took me off of the Luvox and put me on Prozac, gradually increasing it to 60mg daily. OCD improved, but depression & GAD didn't. She then put me on 2mg Abilify added to my Prozac daily. In 3 days I started seeing improvement and feeling better than I have in many years. Life had been a struggle for me for so long and now I feel better than I have in years. I sure hope and pray that I continue to feel this way. Yes, my appetite has increased and I am gaining some much needed weight. I would still prefer these minor side effects than to go back to the old me. I give Abilify a 10 ."

Kooky01 June 18, 2014

128 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Tried many different antidepressants for depression and anxiety. Ended up on 45 Remeron and 2 mg of Abilify. Worked after 2 days. After months of debilitating depression and anxiety! I am so thankful. Was worried about taking an anti psychotic, because I'm not bipolar or psychotic. Got over that as soon as I saw results. Will take this medicine as long as needed. Miracle truly!"

garrettm11 (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 10, 2014

124 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"I had moderate to severe depression on and off, mostly on, for years. Nothing seemed to work, until I tried Abilify. I take about 2-3mg a day. I have been on it for five years now with no side effects and no recurrence of depression symptoms. "

Olivia A May 13, 2014

120 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

"Abilify worked for me within 1 1/2 weeks, yes I gained weight but I felt the best since my fibromyalgia started. But I have Medicare disability and went into doughnut hole. The $800 price point was MORE than I can handle."

ginger103 April 15, 2014

"So this stuff worked wonders on depression. I couldn't believe how fast it worked and how much better it made me feel, and I mean like in less than a week! BUT the bad news for me, I had a rare side effect, the first one of my psychiatrists patients to ever get it and he had to look it up to confirm that it was being caused by the medication (although I knew it was for sure)... It made me go blind! I don't mean black out blind, but rather it made it so my pupils couldn't dilate and constrict properly so I couldn't focus my eyesight enough to even read anymore. So, 10 days after starting it I stopped and luckily 3 days after stopping my eyes started to return to normal, but that freaked me out beyond belief!!! Worked great for depression."

Just a guy March 26, 2014

82 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 Next