User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify Review Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 2 medications used in the treatment of Agitated State.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Agitated State

"The least I can do for this amazing discovery of a medication is to do a review and say that it literally saved my life. I wanted to take away my own life because of hypersexuality waves that I've been experiencing for as long as I can remember. Somehow I always pushed myself behind the edge by telling myself - "you just can't give up before making sure that I tried all the options" Thank goodness I didn't give up. After couple of years of such an agony I finally met my second psychiatrist who suggested that I may have some very atypical type of bipolar disorder, and he suggested me to try Abilify. For the first time in my life I knew what it means to have a fully controllable sex drive. Please never give up. Cliche saying, but so true! :)"

Nekoneko (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2015

"I was diagnosed with toxic psychosis due to cannabis abuse and this medicine saved my life while no other medicine could end my delusions and paranoia. I am very thankful."

notpsychoticanymore (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 16, 2014

"I took this to replace Wellbutrin, which didn't seem to work. This medication seems to make me very easily agitated not to mention the fatigue."

sigmapi484 (taken for less than 1 month) March 17, 2014

"I was prescribed this medication because of the extreme stresses associated with a chronic disabling disease called relapsing polychondritis. It has destroyed all of my joints, cervical spine damage, ataxia, and the loss of everything in my life that I had worked 30 years to obtain. All gone. I am the type of person who is more angry, agitated, infuriated, by the effects of this condition than I am sad or depressed about it. I was also in chronic pain daily too since May of 2012. NO painkillers would help this type of pains. I can NOT take methotrexate, DMARDs, biologics, only prednisone, a great diet, and an occasional NSAID. Then my Doc gave me this. I am so happy at this moment (not) to feel the burning sensations, squeezing, aching, pain."

Mr. Enduring December 7, 2013

"Started taking Abilify for anxiety about five years ago, when nothing else worked. In about half an hour I could feel the change in me. So much calmer! The only problem is extreme fatigue. Sleep 10 hours a day with naps. Taking 2.5 mg."

Haightguy (taken for 2 to 5 years) July 11, 2013

"My child was diagnosed at the age of 4 with severe ADHD. We tried all medications. Even added Risperdal. He was very angry and agitated all the time. After 1 week on Abilify (along with metadate) he is a whole new kid. Loving it!"

Maximus412 January 19, 2013

"My teen is on first week of Abilify & Strattera will be added in another week for ADD. He had been on Focalin for ADD/ADHD which we thought worked the best of all. ADD meds we tried over many years BUT what we didn't realize is that Stimulant meds (like Focalin, Concerta) can cause paranoia/anxiety and agitation, which came out in him - making his Dr think he had a secondary more worrisome disorder. Every symptom went away after stopping the Stimulant med for 2 months. I hope Abilify works as a balance for the Strattera. His Dr said no more stimulant meds for him - although they work the best. "

Anonymous September 27, 2012

"My daughter is 7 now and we leave in Brasil. Recently we visited the Amen Clinic in Reston/VA and her life changed. The doctor gave her Lamictal Intuniv. It didn't work as expected, she continued to be very hyper. So her Doctor decided to replace Lamictal for Abilify 5mg/day Intuniv 0.5mg/day. What a miracle. My daughter never played by herself for more than 5 minutes, now she plays quietly for hours. She's now the perfect little girl we always wanted and we can really enjoy being with her. She still needs to improve at school, can't focus without assistance, but we think this is improving as well, as it is right now. I must say we are very pleased with the combination Abilify Intuniv."

Happy Dad December 20, 2011

"I take this for borderline personality disorder. This medication helped a lot with my mood swings, anger, purging (but not binging), as well as keeping my somewhat delusional 'thoughts' in check (such as thinking that I am morbidly obese, an evil person, that people are following me, etc). It did make me very tired at first (and still does a little), it is somewhat related to weight gain as well, though less than most other antipsychotics, and I have gained 10-15lbs so far (in 2 months). Overall, I think this medication is pretty good, despite the weight gain and fatigue."

Momo Mathieu July 17, 2011

"My Daughter has ADHD with a high level of agression, she is eleven. This medicine has so far been a miracle for her and for all of us too. It has been about six weeks and she has only experienced a small amount of weight gain. She is more focused at school and not fighting with friends, teachers, and family. She is doing homework and cleaning her room. She doesn't seem to have any sleep problems. I will watch the weight gain and look for signs of muscle reactions. Otherwise I am praying this medicine continues the way it has because I have not yelled for the first time in 9 or 10 years and she is happy. More dr's need to step away form Concerta and that family of drugs if they see they dont work or causes the aggression."

Anonymous March 18, 2010

"My 10-yr old son has been taking 1 mg Abilify in the morning for the past 4 months. He used to be prone to loud shouting, hitting, spitting, etc. at home, but now little things don't bother him as much and he's easier to reason with. No side effects from this dose seem apparent so far. He's also taking 36 mg Concerta for ADD symptoms which would otherwise keep him from functioning for more than a couple of hours in the classroom. He's also taking Depakote for seizure control. He's been seizure-free for 2.5 years now, and we are gradually reducing that dose to zero. Eventually, we hope to reduce all these drugs to zero, one at a time."

cygnet101 January 4, 2010

"Makes me shakey."

Anonymous December 8, 2009

"I took this medication in addition to Zoloft 100mg. My doctor had me on it as a mood stabilizer at 5mg a day. I don't have bipolar disorder, but had some manic or agitated behavior at the time (which could've been caused by the Zoloft). Doctor prescribed it and thought it would help. It increased my energy, and I began to workout more. For some reason, I woke up early every morning around 8AM while I was on Abilify. I'm not a morning person so that's really early for me. Also I felt "speeded up", overly confident and optimistic. I had to stop taking it because I experienced odd involuntary tongue movements. I was also on Seroquel which is in the same family of drugs as Abilify, so the doctor thought the combination is what caused the odd effect."

MacKat August 5, 2009

"This medication made me sleepy and far less alert than normal. It worsened my condition."

nettie w. April 23, 2009

"My son has been taking Abilify to help his aggressive behavior associated with his ADHD. He plays with the other children like he did before the aggresive behavior developed and is doing a lot better."

katiedodson August 23, 2008

"My 25 year old son was prescribed this medication for his aggressive behavior and inablity to concentrate. As a child he was diagnosed with ADHD with aggressive behavior. His behavior only worsened as he got older and was not on any medication. He was unable to keep a job and was always in trouble with the police for fighting and just unable make good decisions. After starting Abilify he has had a steady job for 6 months and his agressive behavior is gone. I have my son back."

dwinch July 3, 2008

122 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Learn more about Agitated State