User Reviews for Abilify

Learn more about Abilify.

Abilify review summary

7.6/10 Average Rating

Compare all 27 medications used in the treatment of Schizoaffective Disorder.

Reviews for Abilify to treat Schizoaffective Disorder

Review by Natalie*** (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Abilify keeps me very well, and has improved my life, after spending 13 years sedated, this was a relief! Only side effect I get; bladder weakness.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 21, 2014 11:04 AM

Review by Ianguitarist:

Definitely my favorite. I'm so put down by my mood stabilizer that I never got manic on it. Weight gain for me is self induced, not medication induced. It ups a lot of things that make you smarter. Scholastically I do well on it. Nice medicine.

January 19, 2014 1:48 AM

Review by Yoda1977 (taken for 10 years or more):

I have been on Abilify for about 14 years and I have found it to be very beneficial. I suffered from verbal and visual hallucinations. Thanks to Abilify I have been symptom free for a number of year. Thank God.

October 29, 2013 10:58 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I am thirty three and I have schizoaffective disorder. Ability gave me the energy to make it through the day and run after two kids. It's the best medicine I've ever been on. No side effects. Stopped drinking and pills. Doing much better.

August 20, 2013 11:03 AM

Review by Under Control (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Works for me!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 17, 2013 5:10 PM

Review by rebecca T. (taken for less than 1 month):

I like the medication but it does dry me out some times. So I drink lots of water. I also do notice it helps you sleep. I haven't been on this medicine long just about two months.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 8, 2013 4:48 AM

Review by Bella84:

Abilify worked wonders for me. So far the only side effect I have is the involuntary movement of my jaw. And also I sleep like 12 hours in the morning. But so far so good. Haven't gained any weight either and I hope I don't in the future as I have been taking it for just 4 months now.

May 26, 2013 6:41 PM

Review by daisy1979 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Although this medicine works wonders for some and not so well for others, I have found that it has helped me a great deal. It is truly a miracle for me. Without it I would not be the person that I am today. I was put on this medicine when it was barely out of the lab. It has totally changed my life. I love it!

November 6, 2012 9:12 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years):

I heard voices and experienced wild delusions for over ten years before I found Abilify. At first I took 10mg of Haldol to quiet the voices but that stopped working after 6 months. And the side effects of Haldol were high. My experience with Abilify I think are better than average, in that I'm symptom free, with no side effects. 30mg a day for three years.

September 27, 2012 3:37 PM

Review by Kegvdbbhkjg (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It did nothing for me and the doctors wouldn't take me off it.

August 19, 2012 8:42 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Abilify worked better for me than Risperdal for my odd thinking, and I hear voices less on Abilify than Risperdal, as well. It also gave me no side-effects. Unfortunately, I did not find the Abilify to be 100% effective. It does very little for my mood episodes as monotherapy. My psychotic symptoms still seem to pop up here and there too, even on the highest effective dose of 20 mg. Currently, I'm looking for a more effective antipsychotic that doesn't cost an arm and a leg either.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 16, 2012 5:33 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Sadly, this medicine was at one time my worst enemy. I couldn't sit still on it, I kept pacing and twitching, half screaming half crying, agitated, itchy and angry. I couldn't sleep for more than 4 hours a night and I was only on 2.5 mg of it. I don't remember if I ate or not on it, but probably not because I was in a type of hell. I know it's a good medicine for a lot of people, but for me, it turned my life upside down.

June 19, 2012 5:52 PM

Eliminated hallucinations, but neither eliminated nor reduced delusions. Extreme anger, increasing as dosage increased, until becoming extremely violent. When Abilify was removed relative calm.

November 14, 2011 12:33 PM

Doctors added Abilify with Celexa (antidepressant) and Geodon and I finally feel normal.

October 20, 2011 8:52 PM

Abilify was the first antipsychotic my doctor tried with me after I was diagnosed with schizoaffactive disorder. It did nothing for me. My main symptoms are depression, difficulty concentrating and hallucinations. I noticed no difference in any of these while on the Abilify. Except for the side effects, you would think I wasn't taking anything. The side effects were orthostatic hypotension (dizziness upon standing), blurred vision, and involuntary muscle twitches. My doctor took me off Abilify after three weeks and we tried Invega, which worked much better.

January 3, 2011 3:55 PM

Review by Lete:

I suffered for over 5 years in an episode state, I was diagnosed bipolar schizoaffective in January of 2008. Was prescribed Abilify for the schizoaffective disorder and Zoloft for the bipolar disorder the combination of the two has changed my life. I'm not homeless anymore and am able to hold a part time job to support myself.

December 23, 2010 11:34 PM

Review by RBaker732:

Besides the side effects Abilify for Psychoaffective disorder has worked miracles for me. PEACE OF MIND.

May 24, 2010 12:30 AM

Works amazingly. Never tried anything better.

October 7, 2009 3:29 AM

Review by trektek:

This medicine is truly great. It helped to stop my bi-polar swings and keep me level. The only reason that I did not give it a 10 is that it only lasted 3 years. Then the symptoms came back but while it worked it was great. Hardly any side effects except some weight gain that may or may not be attributed to this drug. I would recommend this drug to anybody.

May 7, 2009 8:46 AM