User Reviews for Lithium (Page 4)

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cyclothymic Disorder 1 reviews 0 medications

Borderline Personality Disorder 3 reviews 6 medications

5.7
Summary of Lithium reviews 185 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have taken lithium since I was diagnosed with bipolar 1 in 1993. I stopped taking it for 10 years and then started taking it again and it's been 6 years back on it. I wouldn't substitute this medication. It works very well. The correct dosage is what matters most. The therapeutic window is 0.6 to 1.2 just because the level is slightly lower isn't always bad. It's alright to manage some of the symptoms but when it gets above 1.2 toxicity becomes an issue. It has to be maintained properly. My only drawback is occasional hand tremors and in high doses it tends to dull personality."

Bearcat315 (taken for 10 years or more) October 10, 2013

For Depression: "Have suffered with clinical depression for fifteen years and have been on numerous antidepressants. Have now been taking lithium for 9 months and have had a lot of problems including hands shaking, legs feeling as though they are going to give way a lot of the time, whole body feeling heavy, nausea, parts of my body suddenly jerking, sweating, but worst of all I feel as though I have had a personality transplant and do not recognize the agitated person I have become, the nightmares, my partner is very concerned. I am reducing the dose to come off it. I have just noticed on this site that it has a high interaction risk if taken with venlafaxine which I have been prescribed with it at the same time."

sues1066 October 8, 2013

For Depression: "Started Lithium in 1986. This has been my bedrock since then. In 2011 my doctor added Wellbutrin because I was sub-clinically depressed and felt stuck."

lsrigg (taken for 10 years or more) August 20, 2013

For Depression: "I was on many anti-depressants and none of them helped with my suicidal thoughts except lithium. Some medications I was on made me better, but very flat and emotionless. For me, lithium only takes the sharp edges off the bad emotions and leaves room for good (but not manic) ones. I had slight hand tremors for about a year after starting this, which was annoying but not incapacitating. They are gone now. I also gained about 10 pounds during the first few months, but lost it easily and I am now lighter than when I started. People used to tell me: Oh you'll gain so much weight, but it is mostly water weight because you get very thirsty. Overall, my quality of life is much, much better. Also you can safely stay on lithium for years."

123Katherine123 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 6, 2013

90 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Didn't help win the emotional attachment aspect of Borderline Personality Disorder, but it definitely reduced my suicidal thoughts and self harm urges."

Lysse (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 22, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have found lithium works awesome for my depression/bipolar however the side effects are causing a problem. After couple weeks the nausea has not gone away. I am losing my instant memory and found myself confused when doing or talking about a topic, I can't remember what I just said or heard."

Ceareal1978 (taken for less than 1 month) June 17, 2013

Eskalith (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "This has been a great medication for me. It brought me out of a 4-year-long depression, and I have been on it over a decade with minimal side effects."

Lilli in Waiting (taken for 10 years or more) May 28, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "I notice improvement, after 4 days"

lynn (taken for less than 1 month) May 5, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium worked amazing wonders for me... for about a month. Then it stopped. I've been trying to get it to work again for two years."

Lith Guy (taken for 2 to 5 years) April 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "Terrific against mania, haven't had a manic episode in 2 years. Also with barely any manic symptoms. However, for me it's not great against depression but does help a little. It also helped with suicidal tendencies."

plibs April 5, 2013

For Cluster Headaches: "Lithium saved my life. Nothing worked on my cluster headaches until my Dr. prescribed lithium. It was miraculous and worked within 24 hours. It broke the cycle. Subsequently I have also used oxygen therapy and it too has been very effective. Just not as easy as taking a pill, but less side effects."

Anita12234 April 2, 2013

Lithobid (lithium) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Most effective medicine I've had so far. Unfortunately, had to stop taking due to kidney effects."

gertie67 (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 24, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "In 4 weeks, lithium took me from constantly obsessing about suicide, to having almost no suicidal ideation. Minor side effects include extra urination, and minor nausea if taken without enough food. "

DirtyDrew (taken for 6 months to 1 year) March 11, 2013

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have been taking lithium since 1983, It has kept me stable but I miss the highs, my creative side has disappeared, can't concentrate and I lose interest in things and I have been told I must take lithium for the rest of my life."

crusader0 (taken for 10 years or more) January 13, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "I have suffered with bipolar disorder as long as I can remember its been one manic episode after another. I'm 31 now and have been on lithium for 3 and a half weeks in now and for the last 3 days have felt the best I ever have, I feel stable and finally am free of the need to self medicate. I know its only early days and have had some side effects such as extreme thirst, minor weight gain and hate the blood tests but this is a small price to pay for finally feeling well. Hope other people with this illness have the same success as I'm getting. All the best."

bjayz81 (taken for less than 1 month) December 30, 2012

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

For Bipolar Disorder: "Lithium has been very good for me.Like every medication that I have ever took it seems not to work as well after a year or so.I have been Bipolar since 2004 and depressed since 1984."

tdcookie (taken for 2 to 5 years) December 7, 2012

For Borderline Personality Disorder: "Turned me into a zombie and made me gain at least 60 pounds. Lithium completely numbed out my emotions until I could no longer function. I was on it for 3 years and nobody would take me off of it because I have adverse reactions to most mood stabilizers that could replace it and they viewed me having no moods at all as better than having symptomatic Borderline Personality Disorder. I barely have any memories from the time I was on lithium. I was eventually taken off it because it started driving me into rage."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) October 5, 2012

For Mania: "Aside from some of the crummy side effects, bipolar disorder would not and could not be tolerable without lithium. I used to take Depakote alone, now I take lithium and Depakote and can honestly say that keep me even...most of the time."

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 26, 2012

For Bipolar Disorder: "This drug has saved two of my very good friends from what I really belive would have been both of their deaths. The 1st friend was an emotional wreck, and the 2nd friend was a suicidal cutter, and BOTH have gotten their lives back and are on the right path with this medication. Both did gain some weight and got some acne, but when you look at the alternative, I think they are both beyond grateful for it all! As am I, so I think if someone you know is like this, please get them to a doctor who knows about bi-polar disorder, and get them onto this medication, it really truly DOES WORK for a lot of folks suffering through their life, when there is NO NEED to! Help them! WE ALL DESERVE TO LIVE A SOMEWHAT "NORMAL" LIFE! "

tamjam (taken for 5 to 10 years) July 24, 2012

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Eskalith (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I've been on lithium for a long time for bipolar 1. Use as part of combination therapy since I can't tolerate doses over 600 mg/day (start shaking, skin numbness). Works very well for treating manic side of things, racing thoughts."

Anonymous July 7, 2012

Lithonate (lithium) for Schizoaffective Disorder: "Helped with some impulsive behaviors like fighting or just in general going off on people."

Anonymous April 8, 2012

For : "I have been taking lithium and myopia has been more stable and relaxed after many years of instability through my adolescent years. Now entering into adulthood I realized my condition and now take responsibility in taking lithium which helps a lot."

Kayelle March 29, 2012

Lithonate (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Best medicine I have had for bipolar even though there are long term effects, highly recommended."

Anonymous March 23, 2012

For Mania: "Have been suffering for 14 years with various levels of Mania. I was finally prescribed 300mg Lithium Carbonate for Bi-Polar. Skeptical of yet another wrong diagnosis, I tried 150 mg for 2 weeks. I saw an improvement after the first night. I was able to fall straight asleep and woke up without tremors or intense crazy dreams. YAY! After about the first week, my life started slowing down and I could get nothing done. I stopped taking it and the mania stayed away for about 2 weeks. The Mania has just started coming back."

John at the Falls March 15, 2012

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: "So far so awesome. Been on it a week and am not as agitated. Suicidal thoughts are going away."

Shopprincessshop February 28, 2012