User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Mania 10 reviews 14 medications

7.5
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 136 reviews 8.1

Reviews for Lithium

Review by soxman:

For Bipolar Disorder: Definitely takes the edge off. Much more stable. Currently taking 600mg. Along with 50mg of Citalopram and 300mg of Bupropion. Have no problem drinking the suggested amount of water. The real side effect I am experiencing is my hands shake, a lot. I cannot hold a cup of coffee or type on a keyboard at times. I know it's the Lithium because I stopped taking it for about a month and the tremors stopped. Once I started up again, so did the tremors.

February 3, 2011 12:51 PM

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Lithium was hard for me to take at first. If I did not eat enough with the medicine I would vomit. The medicine works for me but I do not like the fact that I have gained weight and it causes acne. I have done everything I can to have clear skin but it does not matter what I do. Lithium is cheap and effective but like I said I don't like the side effects. I am going to try Tegretol when I go back to the Doctor.

January 12, 2011 1:11 PM

Review by road2glory:

For Cluster Headaches: My GP thinks the symptoms of what I thought was Parkinson's is in fact side-effects of Lithium. I take 1200 mg of lithium daily. I gave it a low score for the side-effects, the shakes and poor balance. It's very effective in preventing clusters. I took a chance this fall and quit all my medicines. The day after I did this I got slammed by clusters. Clusters are too painful to live with so it's better to live with lithium and its side effects than with the pain of cluster headaches.

December 23, 2010 1:21 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have struggled with bi polar but mostly mania all of my life! About 6 years ago I finally started medication and I tried all of them, I finally was prescribed lithium which has saved my life! Nine months ago I started having seizures, I was having 30 a day and once again I have to thank lithium for being one of the medications that I can take that helps the seizures with the help of other medications as well!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 17, 2010 12:07 AM

Review by StarLover:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I've been taking Lithium for almost 2 years now. It is actually amazing mood wise and it helped me get over my social anxiety. The side effects I've had which technically are not good at all, but are almost worth how I feel are. I had to be put on blood pressure medicines, my hair is sheding a lot more than normal. I have more acne than I used to, and the worst one. I've gained about 25 pounds which for me wasn't good I was already overweight. Oh and I haven't had a period for almost three months now (not pregnant) my doctor thinks Lithium might be to blame. I'm only 25 by the way, so I should still have a period. Besides all of this Lithium was the best thing to ever happen to me.

October 11, 2010 5:00 AM

Review by gc23:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lithium brought me out of a year long rapid-cycling episode that almost destroyed my marriage, my work and my life. I think it's an excellent "first aid" medicine for bipolar disorder. After about 3 months of feeling amazing relief, I felt emotionally flat-lined, so I worked with my doctor and he reduced my lithium dose to 600 mg and added 150 mg of Lamictal, 1.5 mg of clonazepam to soothe anxiety, and finally 20 mg of Adderall to combat persistent mild depression. Work with your doctor to find your perfect combination! I've been on this particular mix for about 2 years. It's great, but I will always keep the lithium in. It's the core of what works for me.

September 22, 2010 4:12 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar Disorder about two years ago after years of self medicating and years of unhappiness. My doctor tried me on several different medicines and finally decided I needed a mood stabilizer, Lithium Carbonate. Lithium (900mg/day) has changed my life. I would recommend to anyone that can take it without major side effects. I think this medicine is amazing.

September 1, 2010 1:46 PM

Review by akadd:

For Bipolar Disorder: In 1976 I became manic and was told I had everything but Bipolar Disease. After 12 awful years, several stays in the hospital, medicated with who knows what, a doctor saved my life with lithium and stated you are bipolar. I took Prozac, a new drug for five years, but have been taking Lithium since 1988. I do know it's the only reason I'm here.

June 29, 2010 8:11 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I only realized I was bipolar when I was in my thirty's after years of self medicating. I have taken lithium for three years now. I don't feel like my whole world is coming to an end and that I want to kill myself anymore. I still have a long way to go in controlling my bipolar condition but I feel at least now I can exist in having a productive life.

June 28, 2010 11:34 AM

Review by debcat53:

For Bipolar Disorder: Excellent at stabilizing mania.

June 26, 2010 3:02 PM

For Mania: I found out I was bi polar a year and a half ago. I've been on antidepressants and antpsychotic meds for that long and still felt lost & like the world was lost to me. A month ago my new Doctor started me on lithium. I no longer think of suicide and love to be with my family now. Its been my savior. Have had no side effects, except thirst. I recommend it to anyone who is bi polar. Life can be good after all.

June 18, 2010 3:46 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have suffered from depression for approximately 22 years, I generally medicated with alcohol and anti depressants. I stopped drinking over 2 years ago and my depression appeared to worsen however I was also noticing periods of wonderful happiness (which was unusual, but enjoyable!) which I could never remember experiencing before. I was diagnosed with bipolar in January this year, after coming off a 6 month high and plummeting into severe depression. I have been taking 1500mg of lithium and 375mg of Effexor for the past couple of months. I have leveled out emotionally, however am very flat, no enthusiasm or joy just really existing. I feel the lithium has brought me out of the living hell I was in but am still a long way from wellness.

May 11, 2010 12:03 AM

Review by la9wilson:

For Bipolar Disorder: Antidepressants have only worked for me through there initial introduction phase and then they wear off and I can become suicidal again. Since 2 years ago I started Lithium carbonate and I can not remember feeling so stable and so happy in long time. What I like so much about this medicine is if I miss a few tablets in a row I it usually takes like a week and I feel my old self again. As opposed to antidepressants that can take 3-4 weeks. I love lithium, it has saved my life.

May 7, 2010 12:30 PM

Eskalith-CR (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have be Bipolar Disorder for 25 years. I had my first episode out of college when I started by first job. I went into a total depression, many brushed it off as nothing, because I was young, etc. But I could hardly get out of bed, cried all the time. It did finally go away after a few months, then the fun came in the spring. I went into a mania, shopping, spending a lot of money. Once I got 3 speeding tickets in one hour. That's when I knew something was wrong and was luckily diagnosed as Manic Depressive (Bi Polar). I was put on Lithium and within 2 weeks felt much, much better. I've tried going off of it, but every time I get depressed or manic. So Lithium has worked for me! Stay on it! I have tried going off, doesn't work.

84 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2010 11:46 PM

Review by lady!:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lithium is great I take 900 mg. After awhile the side effects go away. It was the most effective out of all of my other medicines. I also take Seroquel and Lamictal.

March 7, 2010 1:04 AM

Review by bug1984:

For Bipolar Disorder: It's old school and the best! I have suffered from bipolar disorder for twelve years...suffer no more, now I can live again. For anyone out there diagonsed with bipolar stick with lithium and keep taking it!

February 22, 2010 10:50 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: 12 years ago I had severe, treatment-resistant depression. Lithium augmentation of the antidepressant I was on led to a dramatic improvement and saved me from ECT.

January 26, 2010 7:37 AM

Review by hppyj:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on lithium carbonate 450 ER for bipolar disorder for 12 years. I find that the ER version is more tolerable than the immediate release form.

January 23, 2010 6:03 PM

Review by nomametosay:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lithium for the last 11 years after being diagnosed Bipolar I. Has worked perfectly. However it caused hypothyroidism after 5 years and now looks like after a decade to have finally increased my creatinine level affecting my kidneys so here I am searching for a new medication. Other than these side effects this medication worked perfectly for over 10 years.

January 19, 2010 8:54 PM

Review by Joelsinfau:

For Bipolar Disorder: I admitted myself to a mental health facility 7 days ago and asked for help after 4 days. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and social phobia. I've been on lithium for six days and I've totally changed and it wonderful! I'm no longer in a manic or depressive state. I no longer have urges of hurting a complete stranger. It was that bad. I still can't go out in public but at the same time I want to be able to go out in public. I'm just relieved that I'm not volatile ,depressed, or manic anymore.

January 17, 2010 11:27 PM

Review by seescoutsnow:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lithium for over four years. I enjoy the stability it gave me and I haven't had a manic episode since starting lithium. My problem is dehydration. I avoid water and choose flavored beverages to cover up that metallic taste. My Lithium level is always high as a result. Forcing yourself to drink water just causes you to have to use the bathroom ever 15 minutes so I live with thirst. The hand tremor is the worst side effect by far, I take a medication just to treat that alone.

January 15, 2010 12:10 AM

Review by Wife of Patient:

For Bipolar Disorder: My husband just started taking Lithium last week and we both have seen a HUGE difference. Yesterday he told me he feels 'fine' and not like he doesn't want to be on this earth any longer. He's been on multiple antidepressants over the years...none of which have worked. His new psychiatrist seems to have found the right drug. I hope he continues to improve. We both thought Lithium was for people with very serious disorders, which we didn't consider him part of that group. No matter...if it works it works! Take care.

60 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2010 1:23 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: A few weeks ago decided to go off lithium because I felt "fine".....bad decision. I went right into a severe manic state. Paranoid, delusional, severe anger. Back on lithium and all is well again. Only side effects for me are extreme thirst/dry mouth and sore joints. I take 450 mg ER twice a day. Lithium allows me to go to work every day, pay my bills and enjoy life in general. Highly recommend.

59 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 14, 2009 8:06 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: It has very good for keeping me stable

December 9, 2009 10:19 PM

Review by C. Murray:

For Bipolar Disorder: Side effects are dry mouth - by late pm. Undue urinating. I wonder if the use of Lithium has caused my bladders inability to empty completely after urinating. Or have the kidneys been affected? Dryness of eyes.

December 5, 2009 5:14 PM