User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cluster Headaches 5 reviews 35 medications

7.5
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 125 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lithium

For Bipolar Disorder: I have suffered from depression for approximately 22 years, I generally medicated with alcohol and anti depressants. I stopped drinking over 2 years ago and my depression appeared to worsen however I was also noticing periods of wonderful happiness (which was unusual, but enjoyable!) which I could never remember experiencing before. I was diagnosed with bipolar in January this year, after coming off a 6 month high and plummeting into severe depression. I have been taking 1500mg of lithium and 375mg of Effexor for the past couple of months. I have leveled out emotionally, however am very flat, no enthusiasm or joy just really existing. I feel the lithium has brought me out of the living hell I was in but am still a long way from wellness.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 11, 2010 12:03 AM

Review by la9wilson:

For Bipolar Disorder: Antidepressants have only worked for me through there initial introduction phase and then they wear off and I can become suicidal again. Since 2 years ago I started Lithium carbonate and I can not remember feeling so stable and so happy in long time. What I like so much about this medicine is if I miss a few tablets in a row I it usually takes like a week and I feel my old self again. As opposed to antidepressants that can take 3-4 weeks. I love lithium, it has saved my life.

May 7, 2010 12:30 PM

Eskalith-CR (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have be Bipolar Disorder for 25 years. I had my first episode out of college when I started by first job. I went into a total depression, many brushed it off as nothing, because I was young, etc. But I could hardly get out of bed, cried all the time. It did finally go away after a few months, then the fun came in the spring. I went into a mania, shopping, spending a lot of money. Once I got 3 speeding tickets in one hour. That's when I knew something was wrong and was luckily diagnosed as Manic Depressive (Bi Polar). I was put on Lithium and within 2 weeks felt much, much better. I've tried going off of it, but every time I get depressed or manic. So Lithium has worked for me! Stay on it! I have tried going off, doesn't work.

77 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 28, 2010 11:46 PM

Review by lady!:

For Bipolar Disorder: Lithium is great I take 900 mg. After awhile the side effects go away. It was the most effective out of all of my other medicines. I also take Seroquel and Lamictal.

March 7, 2010 1:04 AM

Review by bug1984:

For Bipolar Disorder: It's old school and the best! I have suffered from bipolar disorder for twelve years...suffer no more, now I can live again. For anyone out there diagonsed with bipolar stick with lithium and keep taking it!

February 22, 2010 10:50 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: 12 years ago I had severe, treatment-resistant depression. Lithium augmentation of the antidepressant I was on led to a dramatic improvement and saved me from ECT.

January 26, 2010 7:37 AM

Review by hppyj:

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on lithium carbonate 450 ER for bipolar disorder for 12 years. I find that the ER version is more tolerable than the immediate release form.

January 23, 2010 6:03 PM

Review by nomametosay:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lithium for the last 11 years after being diagnosed Bipolar I. Has worked perfectly. However it caused hypothyroidism after 5 years and now looks like after a decade to have finally increased my creatinine level affecting my kidneys so here I am searching for a new medication. Other than these side effects this medication worked perfectly for over 10 years.

January 19, 2010 8:54 PM

Review by Joelsinfau:

For Bipolar Disorder: I admitted myself to a mental health facility 7 days ago and asked for help after 4 days. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and social phobia. I've been on lithium for six days and I've totally changed and it wonderful! I'm no longer in a manic or depressive state. I no longer have urges of hurting a complete stranger. It was that bad. I still can't go out in public but at the same time I want to be able to go out in public. I'm just relieved that I'm not volatile ,depressed, or manic anymore.

January 17, 2010 11:27 PM

Review by seescoutsnow:

For Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lithium for over four years. I enjoy the stability it gave me and I haven't had a manic episode since starting lithium. My problem is dehydration. I avoid water and choose flavored beverages to cover up that metallic taste. My Lithium level is always high as a result. Forcing yourself to drink water just causes you to have to use the bathroom ever 15 minutes so I live with thirst. The hand tremor is the worst side effect by far, I take a medication just to treat that alone.

January 15, 2010 12:10 AM

Review by Wife of Patient:

For Bipolar Disorder: My husband just started taking Lithium last week and we both have seen a HUGE difference. Yesterday he told me he feels 'fine' and not like he doesn't want to be on this earth any longer. He's been on multiple antidepressants over the years...none of which have worked. His new psychiatrist seems to have found the right drug. I hope he continues to improve. We both thought Lithium was for people with very serious disorders, which we didn't consider him part of that group. No matter...if it works it works! Take care.

56 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 13, 2010 1:23 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: A few weeks ago decided to go off lithium because I felt "fine".....bad decision. I went right into a severe manic state. Paranoid, delusional, severe anger. Back on lithium and all is well again. Only side effects for me are extreme thirst/dry mouth and sore joints. I take 450 mg ER twice a day. Lithium allows me to go to work every day, pay my bills and enjoy life in general. Highly recommend.

December 14, 2009 8:06 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: It has very good for keeping me stable

December 9, 2009 10:19 PM

Review by C. Murray:

For Bipolar Disorder: Side effects are dry mouth - by late pm. Undue urinating. I wonder if the use of Lithium has caused my bladders inability to empty completely after urinating. Or have the kidneys been affected? Dryness of eyes.

December 5, 2009 5:14 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder 18 months ago and put on lithium 600mgs a day and Seroquel 300mg at night. The lithium has been wonderful to stabilize my moods and keep me from feeling so down and depressed. I eventually weaned myself from the Seroquel because it made me lethargic and I had weight gain that I contributed to it not the lithium. I now exercise - run 3 miles a day to help me release any pent up anger or negative energy and it works wonders. Lithium maybe one of the oldest bi-polar medicines but it is tried and true.

December 3, 2009 11:37 AM

For Bipolar Disorder: It's the best I've even taken for Bipolar. I have been on several medicines before Lithium but it's the best. My doctor has had to change the dosage a few time because of my level being too high and because of another doctor changing my medicines. It's very important to have Lab work done while on Lithium to have the level checked.

December 1, 2009 2:05 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: Although this drug has left me with an underactive thyroid I would totally recommend it. I have not been this stable in the last 10 years of treatment with other drugs. Mania and large mood swings are no longer blighting my life.

November 24, 2009 3:25 PM

Review by missyjo1980:

For Bipolar Disorder: Working so far.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 9, 2009 6:16 PM

Review by ugghh:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I got Myxedema coma. It was identified in the nick of time. Stay closely monitored.

November 7, 2009 12:11 AM

Review by HW:

For Bipolar Disorder: I am on 1000mg a day of lithium along with quetiapine and lamotrogine. This keeps the excitement at bay but I am prone to rapid cycling which is stressing. However it keeps the mania at bay but the down side is bad. Lithium has made a noticeable difference.

October 31, 2009 11:59 AM

Review by smileyhappy:

For Bipolar Disorder: I started to take lithium along with Manerix in Jan/Feb 2007. I was diagnosed with Chronic Depression. I was hospitalized for six months before they found the right medicine that worked for me. They tried so many anti-depressant that did not work until these. Now they think I might be bipolar because the lithium was the one that worked. I did have some side effects like dry mouth, tremors, had trouble with doing small things with my hands like writing. But in time this went away. Lithium did cause hypothyroidism in the 2nd year. That will not go away even if I go off Lithium. The Endocrinologist has had trouble balancing my thyroid which made me gain 30 pounds in 2 and a half years.

October 29, 2009 5:26 PM

For Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lithium for 16 years. The only complaint I have is the weight gain, it has increasingly gotten harder to lose. Also, the last 2 years the hand tremors have gotten bad. It is very noticeable. I have considered trying another medicine with the help of my doctor.

September 25, 2009 5:51 PM

Review by zoella:

For Bipolar Disorder: Did notice a difference as calming down better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 13, 2009 12:57 AM

Review by markasbts:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Like it very well compared to other drugs I have taken.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2009 12:28 AM

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication has truly made a huge difference in my mood swings. I am forever grateful.

August 14, 2009 1:36 AM