User Reviews for Lithium

Also known as: Eskalith, Eskalith-CR, Lithium Carbonate ER, Lithobid, Lithonate, Lithotabs

Learn more about Lithium.

Cluster Headaches 5 reviews 35 medications

7.5
Borderline Personality Disorder 2 reviews 6 medications

4.5
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Intermittent Explosive Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Lithium reviews 118 reviews 8.2

Reviews for Lithium

Review by nomametosay: User Rating:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lithium for the last 11 years after being diagnosed Bipolar I. Has worked perfectly. However it caused hypothyroidism after 5 years and now looks like after a decade to have finally increased my creatinine level affecting my kidneys so here I am searching for a new medication. Other than these side effects this medication worked perfectly for over 10 years.

January 19, 2010 8:54 PM
Review by Joelsinfau: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I admitted myself to a mental health facility 7 days ago and asked for help after 4 days. I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and social phobia. I've been on lithium for six days and I've totally changed and it wonderful! I'm no longer in a manic or depressive state. I no longer have urges of hurting a complete stranger. It was that bad. I still can't go out in public but at the same time I want to be able to go out in public. I'm just relieved that I'm not volatile ,depressed, or manic anymore.

January 17, 2010 11:27 PM
Review by seescoutsnow: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I've been on Lithium for over four years. I enjoy the stability it gave me and I haven't had a manic episode since starting lithium. My problem is dehydration. I avoid water and choose flavored beverages to cover up that metallic taste. My Lithium level is always high as a result. Forcing yourself to drink water just causes you to have to use the bathroom ever 15 minutes so I live with thirst. The hand tremor is the worst side effect by far, I take a medication just to treat that alone.

January 15, 2010 12:10 AM
Review by Wife of Patient: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: My husband just started taking Lithium last week and we both have seen a HUGE difference. Yesterday he told me he feels 'fine' and not like he doesn't want to be on this earth any longer. He's been on multiple antidepressants over the years...none of which have worked. His new psychiatrist seems to have found the right drug. I hope he continues to improve. We both thought Lithium was for people with very serious disorders, which we didn't consider him part of that group. No matter...if it works it works! Take care.

January 13, 2010 1:23 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: A few weeks ago decided to go off lithium because I felt "fine".....bad decision. I went right into a severe manic state. Paranoid, delusional, severe anger. Back on lithium and all is well again. Only side effects for me are extreme thirst/dry mouth and sore joints. I take 450 mg ER twice a day. Lithium allows me to go to work every day, pay my bills and enjoy life in general. Highly recommend.

December 14, 2009 8:06 PM

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: It has very good for keeping me stable

December 9, 2009 10:19 PM
Review by C. Murray:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: Side effects are dry mouth - by late pm. Undue urinating. I wonder if the use of Lithium has caused my bladders inability to empty completely after urinating. Or have the kidneys been affected? Dryness of eyes.

December 5, 2009 5:14 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with bi-polar disorder 18 months ago and put on lithium 600mgs a day and Seroquel 300mg at night. The lithium has been wonderful to stabilize my moods and keep me from feeling so down and depressed. I eventually weaned myself from the Seroquel because it made me lethargic and I had weight gain that I contributed to it not the lithium. I now exercise - run 3 miles a day to help me release any pent up anger or negative energy and it works wonders. Lithium maybe one of the oldest bi-polar medicines but it is tried and true.

December 3, 2009 11:37 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: It's the best I've even taken for Bipolar. I have been on several medicines before Lithium but it's the best. My doctor has had to change the dosage a few time because of my level being too high and because of another doctor changing my medicines. It's very important to have Lab work done while on Lithium to have the level checked.

December 1, 2009 2:05 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: Although this drug has left me with an underactive thyroid I would totally recommend it. I have not been this stable in the last 10 years of treatment with other drugs. Mania and large mood swings are no longer blighting my life.

November 24, 2009 3:25 PM
Review by missyjo1980: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: Working so far.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
November 9, 2009 6:16 PM
Review by ugghh: User Rating:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: I got Myxedema coma. It was identified in the nick of time. Stay closely monitored.

November 7, 2009 12:11 AM
Review by HW: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I am on 1000mg a day of lithium along with quetiapine and lamotrogine. This keeps the excitement at bay but I am prone to rapid cycling which is stressing. However it keeps the mania at bay but the down side is bad. Lithium has made a noticeable difference.

October 31, 2009 11:59 AM
Review by smileyhappy: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I started to take lithium along with Manerix in Jan/Feb 2007. I was diagnosed with Chronic Depression. I was hospitalized for six months before they found the right medicine that worked for me. They tried so many anti-depressant that did not work until these. Now they think I might be bipolar because the lithium was the one that worked. I did have some side effects like dry mouth, tremors, had trouble with doing small things with my hands like writing. But in time this went away. Lithium did cause hypothyroidism in the 2nd year. That will not go away even if I go off Lithium. The Endocrinologist has had trouble balancing my thyroid which made me gain 30 pounds in 2 and a half years.

October 29, 2009 5:26 PM

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Lithium for 16 years. The only complaint I have is the weight gain, it has increasingly gotten harder to lose. Also, the last 2 years the hand tremors have gotten bad. It is very noticeable. I have considered trying another medicine with the help of my doctor.

September 25, 2009 5:51 PM
Review by zoella: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: Did notice a difference as calming down better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 13, 2009 12:57 AM
Review by markasbts: User Rating:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Like it very well compared to other drugs I have taken.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
September 7, 2009 12:28 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication has truly made a huge difference in my mood swings. I am forever grateful.

August 14, 2009 1:36 AM
Review by chrisdavis1973: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: Lithium is going to slow you down. If you enjoy your Mania you won't like this much but if your mania makes you unhappy, this is your one big break. Schedule time off from work if you can or at least scale back on your social calendar until you get used to the drug. After a few weeks you will have adjusted and you'll be able to get back to your happy routine.

July 31, 2009 1:14 PM
Review by wonderly: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: After almost dying of chronic alcoholism I was diagnosed with bipolar disorder and put on lithium in May 2006 (currently on 750 mg per day). I was also taking Seroquel and Imipramine. I put on 50 lbs and my wife kept commenting on how I was listless and "zoned out". This was a big problem because I write fiction for a living, which requires energy and alertness. With my doctor I started tweaking the Seroquel and Imipramine and finally quit them altogether (the info sheets for both state they "may result in weight gain"). The weight is melting off, I'm off the booze and feel great. Life hasn't been this good in a long time.

June 23, 2009 7:29 PM
Review by singerofdreams: User Rating:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: On Lithium everything felt muffled. It also took a large dosage to get to therapeutic level and then I had allergic reactions to it, vomiting, tremors, disorientation, etc. If it works for you, apparently from others I've talked to, it really does; if it doesn't it really doesn't.

June 18, 2009 10:58 PM
Review by cataz200yahoo.com: User Rating:

Lithobid (lithium) for Bipolar Disorder: Lithium has worked very well for me for many years. No adverse affects.

May 13, 2009 11:37 PM
Review by threeicys: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I have tried other medicines for Bipolar Disorder and some worked and some did nothing. Lithium made me feel strangely dull and sleepy the first two weeks but I wanted to give it a good chance. Around the 15th day, I woke up and felt fine, two months later I still feel fine. I am also taking 15mg of Buspirone and 20mg of Celexa. I never thought I would be able to really live until now. My moods are not extreme anymore and I don't have suicidal thoughts. It is like a switch was slipped. My doctor started me at a very low dosage of Lithium, I am so glad she did - I only need 300mg once a day.

58 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
May 2, 2009 12:53 AM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: I have been taking lithium for quite a while. I started out with 450mg, and of late I am taking 300mg with Paxil and Wellbutrin. From the lithium I get tremors, which become upsetting in public and in the office.

April 30, 2009 7:33 PM
Review by vixter: User Rating:

lithium for Bipolar Disorder: Seems to be improving my ability to function and be a "normal", happy person. Side effect that is most bothersome for me is extreme chilling. Can't seem to stay warm. Also feel a little loopy and drowsy. Oh and I'm also extremely tender hearted. I could burst into tears at any moment.

March 23, 2009 11:03 AM