User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 11 medications

Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 211 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Review by soccerbjsweetie:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I have been having migraines for 3 years. I took a beta blocker that didn't work. Then got put on Depakote for migraines. I was on it for a month with no big migraines unless I had my trigger food. Then I realized I gained 5 pounds, was tried all the time and broke out like I had never been before. Medicine works for migraines but has terrible side effects. Had to stop taking

April 3, 2015 2:44 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: Into the third week became very depressed. I was so tired all I wanted to do was sleep. Than my lower back became so painful I could hardly sit down. I also was getting the twitches and all my joints ached.

March 16, 2015 11:34 PM

Review by Happygurl (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been epileptic for about 12 years. I've seen my fair share of doctors and I was either too medicated or ignored, so remember, the doctor isn't always right. I recently found my current doctor about 3 years ago and she has gone above and beyond for me. I am currently seizure free and can drive. I currently take 1000mg Depakote ER a day 200 mg of Topamax a day to balance out the weight gain. I do have a slight problem with my hair, it won't grow, but that's okay.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 4, 2015 10:37 PM

Review by ARODC77 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Dosage 250mg 1/c daily initially caused drastic strain on liver and overwhelming sedation. 30days of 125mg 2/c daily significantly reduced liver and kidney pain while improving emotional stability, depression, impulsivity & patience with interpersonal relationships. Recommend in conjunction with an antipsychotic for people with BPD/Emotion-Impulse Regulation Dysfunction.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 3, 2015 11:34 AM

Review by Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 28, 2015 12:53 AM

Review by Pony up Pardner (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Migraine Prevention: I have had terrible headaches since I was 8 years old and nearly broke my neck in a fall from a bucking horse (0ver 50 years ago). My neck grew all screwed up and I often woke up with headaches on one side of my head and behind my eyes and across my forehead. I always felt nauseated but had to put starches in my stomach to cushion the ibuprofen I was gobbling. Then I started taking 125 mg 2/times daiiy of Divalproes DR about a year a go. My headaches were less right away and no side affects. I'm now taking 250 mg to 750 mg 2/times. Depending on the headache. Getting regular neck adjustments always enables me to reduce back to the 250 mg 2 times daily and I hope to keep it at that level.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 15, 2015 10:48 PM

Review by D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working.

January 22, 2015 4:53 PM

Review by Matthew H:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing.

December 28, 2014 12:31 PM

Review by Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now.

December 20, 2014 1:45 PM

Review by SariahMc:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 13, 2014 12:46 AM

Review by heisenburg:

For Bipolar Disorder: Have been on Depakote 500mg for almost a week now starting to feel back to normal and helping to control mania. Also taking with 50mg Vyvanse and 50mg Seroquel at night seems to be okay except still have times when I feel I'm losing it but overall more stable, will see how it goes in the next couple weeks.

December 8, 2014 11:34 PM

Review by iniromls (taken for less than 1 month):

For Mania: I feel sane and stable after being on divalproex for only a short time. The violent, gripping anxiety is gone for the first time in years. My doc gave it to me to help once I realized the suicidal thoughts I was having were caused by the fluoxetine (SSRI) I had been using for my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 2, 2014 9:14 AM

Review by Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!

November 30, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by livelife52:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 13, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by eg145 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Mania: Very fast onset to terminate mania

October 11, 2014 11:15 AM

Review by Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy.

October 3, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by akc110683:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?

September 27, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by Becca1248 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: Used this for a few months as recommended to prevent my frequent and painful migraines that I've had since I was 12. Depakote was okay I guess. I still had two major migraines while on it, and didn't give it any extra time because the side effects are awful! I wanted to sleep constantly. Felt depressed and irritable, and hated life! Plus, the weight gain alone I experienced in a couple months was absolutely enough reason for me to not want to be on it anymore.... I gained about 15-20 lbs!

August 29, 2014 9:35 PM

Review by BuilderB:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: Started with Depakote upon being diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy in my teens. I took it for years without issue. I decided to switch to Keppra XR because of potential liver issues with Depakote and the somewhat tiresome redundancy of labwork related to Depakote use. Keppra XR did not work for me as my memory began growing progressively worse and I could not think clearly. I also began losing my train of thought mid sentence fairly often. Switched back to Depakote ER, and am feeling much better mentally. The quarterly labwork is not a big deal when compared to being in a mind fog for over a year. That's my experience, hope everyone finds what's right for them. P.S. I do not take generics, noticeably more side effects.

August 26, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better.

August 20, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Timmaaaaa:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!

105 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Review by Cpcmom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I have struggled with migraines for 14 years. I have tried so many medications over the years. The past 3 years my migraines have gotten worse. I have been put in the hospital for a week to a week and a half at a time. The last time I went to the neurologist they added Depakote twice a day to see if it would help cut back on the number of migraines I was having. I would have at least one a day. I was currently on Topamax twice a day, Fioricet, Zofran. When I started Depakote I noticed my weight was going up well I have been on the medication 3 months now and I have gained 40 pounds. This is so crazy. I used to weigh 298lbs. And I don't want to go back there. When my scale started going over the 200 mark again.

July 23, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly.

June 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by Cowboy 61:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I have only been taking Depakote ER 500 mg for 10 days now, or maybe I should say nights. I take it at bed time, & was supposed to start taking it twice a day after a week but the upset stomach, the shakes, (or extra nervousness), no sign of relief of my migraines, & I haven't been able to sleep at night either.. I'm going to tell my Dr. that I just can't take it any more.

June 22, 2014 3:15 AM

Review by X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually.

April 20, 2014 9:59 PM