User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 11 medications

6.3
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 214 reviews 6.9

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

For Migraine Prevention: "I took Depakote for six weeks exactly a year ago. I immediately began experiencing hallucinations, visual disturbances, and constant shakiness. I have been off of Depakote for nearly a year, but these side effects haven't ever gone away. The visual disturbances are constant. In light, it's just a thin, clear layer of static over everything, which is annoying, but tolerable. I still haven't gotten used to the hallucinations I experience in the dark. My eyes never adjust to the changes in light, and everything becomes a huge, swirling mass of shadows. It sometimes pulses so quickly that it looks like a strobe light. My doctors say that these side effects have never been reported and there's nothing they can do. For me, it is not worth it."

Adrian J May 19, 2015

For Mania: "It's good for mood stabilization, but I want off, I want to switch. My doctors won't listen. The weight gain is terrible, and I'm exhausted all of the time. I feel hopeless and helpless."

sockfairy May 13, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been having migraines for 3 years. I took a beta blocker that didn't work. Then got put on Depakote for migraines. I was on it for a month with no big migraines unless I had my trigger food. Then I realized I gained 5 pounds, was tried all the time and broke out like I had never been before. Medicine works for migraines but has terrible side effects. Had to stop taking"

soccerbjsweetie April 3, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Into the third week became very depressed. I was so tired all I wanted to do was sleep. Than my lower back became so painful I could hardly sit down. I also was getting the twitches and all my joints ached. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been epileptic for about 12 years. I've seen my fair share of doctors and I was either too medicated or ignored, so remember, the doctor isn't always right. I recently found my current doctor about 3 years ago and she has gone above and beyond for me. I am currently seizure free and can drive. I currently take 1000mg Depakote ER a day 200 mg of Topamax a day to balance out the weight gain. I do have a slight problem with my hair, it won't grow, but that's okay."

Happygurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Dosage 250mg 1/c daily initially caused drastic strain on liver and overwhelming sedation. 30days of 125mg 2/c daily significantly reduced liver and kidney pain while improving emotional stability, depression, impulsivity & patience with interpersonal relationships. Recommend in conjunction with an antipsychotic for people with BPD/Emotion-Impulse Regulation Dysfunction."

ARODC77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had terrible headaches since I was 8 years old and nearly broke my neck in a fall from a bucking horse (0ver 50 years ago). My neck grew all screwed up and I often woke up with headaches on one side of my head and behind my eyes and across my forehead. I always felt nauseated but had to put starches in my stomach to cushion the ibuprofen I was gobbling. Then I started taking 125 mg 2/times daiiy of Divalproes DR about a year a go. My headaches were less right away and no side affects. I'm now taking 250 mg to 750 mg 2/times. Depending on the headache. Getting regular neck adjustments always enables me to reduce back to the 250 mg 2 times daily and I hope to keep it at that level. "

Pony up Pardner (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on Depakote 500mg for almost a week now starting to feel back to normal and helping to control mania. Also taking with 50mg Vyvanse and 50mg Seroquel at night seems to be okay except still have times when I feel I'm losing it but overall more stable, will see how it goes in the next couple weeks. "

heisenburg December 8, 2014

For Mania: "I feel sane and stable after being on divalproex for only a short time. The violent, gripping anxiety is gone for the first time in years. My doc gave it to me to help once I realized the suicidal thoughts I was having were caused by the fluoxetine (SSRI) I had been using for my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety."

iniromls (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!"

Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose"

livelife52 October 13, 2014

For Mania: "Very fast onset to terminate mania"

eg145 (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 11, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy."

Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?"

akc110683 September 27, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "Used this for a few months as recommended to prevent my frequent and painful migraines that I've had since I was 12. Depakote was okay I guess. I still had two major migraines while on it, and didn't give it any extra time because the side effects are awful! I wanted to sleep constantly. Felt depressed and irritable, and hated life! Plus, the weight gain alone I experienced in a couple months was absolutely enough reason for me to not want to be on it anymore.... I gained about 15-20 lbs!"

Becca1248 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Started with Depakote upon being diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy in my teens. I took it for years without issue. I decided to switch to Keppra XR because of potential liver issues with Depakote and the somewhat tiresome redundancy of labwork related to Depakote use. Keppra XR did not work for me as my memory began growing progressively worse and I could not think clearly. I also began losing my train of thought mid sentence fairly often. Switched back to Depakote ER, and am feeling much better mentally. The quarterly labwork is not a big deal when compared to being in a mind fog for over a year. That's my experience, hope everyone finds what's right for them. P.S. I do not take generics, noticeably more side effects."

BuilderB August 26, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better. "

Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!"

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have struggled with migraines for 14 years. I have tried so many medications over the years. The past 3 years my migraines have gotten worse. I have been put in the hospital for a week to a week and a half at a time. The last time I went to the neurologist they added Depakote twice a day to see if it would help cut back on the number of migraines I was having. I would have at least one a day. I was currently on Topamax twice a day, Fioricet, Zofran. When I started Depakote I noticed my weight was going up well I have been on the medication 3 months now and I have gained 40 pounds. This is so crazy. I used to weigh 298lbs. And I don't want to go back there. When my scale started going over the 200 mark again."

Cpcmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2014