User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 11 medications

6.3
Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 224 reviews 7.7

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Can't afford to take it. Its working I've been free of seizure for a long time "

James McKee (taken for 10 years or more) July 24, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "This was my first medication for Bi-Polar, I'm a 40 year old woman and a long distance runner. This medication was great because it made the rapid thoughts and anxiety go away. However if you're an athlete like I am, I found this difficult as it caused extreme fatigue to the point where I was a couch potato not wanting to do anything. I gained 10 pounds in the first month and found it exhausting to run even a mile where I'm accustomed to running much more. My doctor is switching me to Topamax, today will be my first day taking it and I'm praying for good results."

BellaSN40 July 22, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I took this at night per my doctor, and about the 3rd week I noticed a huge change in my energy and I started having severe muscle cramping and weakness. I woke up in the morning feeling beat up and muscle soreness everywhere. It didn't really help with my issue either. I stopped taking it, and 3 days later the muscle soreness was completely gone"

AlliGibby July 7, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Being un-diagnosed bi-polar for almost 40 years having many manic breaks until one was so big I wound up hospitalized. I was put on Topamax, Prozac and Lunesta. With a Bi-Polar type II diagnosis I had to change my lifestyle. Already in recovery I approached mental health in the same way.Topamax soon wasn't enough so my doc tried Latuda and it didn't work. Depakote is working great I am finally myself! Yes it makes me hungry I just keep my calorie count the same. The med doesn't cause weight gain - my decisions do. With how well it works I'd take some curves and feel this awesome any day!!"

Jayhawk75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Very smooth mood stabilizer, no side effects. I take 1200 mg/d."

be2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Mania: "Depakote is helping my anxiety and resulting alcohol abuse. It is not a "cure" for drinking heavily, it does make it much easier to maintain though."

Porch Honkey (taken for less than 1 month) June 24, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I ben taking 1,000mg a day .I split up 500 in morning and 500 at night for 3 months. I gained 35pounds in the first month. Its a great mood stabilizer, but it only works part of the time. I have the shakes ,acne , vision problems from it. I took topimax before it was great but I got kidney stones from it . I need to get another med that actually works!"

d273 June 18, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Since 2006 I have been on some sort of med for my depression or what my family doctor thought was depression. First med was Lexapro and boy did it send me into a manic stage. Never felt so high in my life, a cloud was lifted. That drug worked for a while but soon after it lost its effectiveness. Tried about every SSRI on the market until we ran out and at that point I did not want to live anymore. Family dr sent me to a psychiatric hospital in which I saw my first pyschiatrist who said my OCD was the root of my depression so he put me on Luvox along with my Klonopin. After a while I seemed better but not for long. Been on Depakote ER 1000MG ever since and everything seems fine, except weight gain. Mood better."

Rusty1133 June 17, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "I gave this drug a 4 because of what it did to me, and what they didn't mention at the time, also because what it did to a friend of mines daughter, as far as a seizure drug and mood stabilizer a perfect drug. controls most seizure in people. But I was on this drug for over 10 years . No one said it could affect my bone density at the time. At 29 I got diagnosed with osteoporosis. I am not happy. I have multiple back issues now and spinal fractures. They did not heal correctly and I am in constant pain. I have to be on at least 3000mg Vitamin d3 for life. My friend is older and her daughter was born with brain abnormalities"

perky1983 (taken for 10 years or more) June 13, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I had a strong desire to drive off of the road even with other people in the car. Otherwise this worked well but the desire increased the longer I was on it."

Corrie B May 24, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I took Depakote for six weeks exactly a year ago. I immediately began experiencing hallucinations, visual disturbances, and constant shakiness. I have been off of Depakote for nearly a year, but these side effects haven't ever gone away. The visual disturbances are constant. In light, it's just a thin, clear layer of static over everything, which is annoying, but tolerable. I still haven't gotten used to the hallucinations I experience in the dark. My eyes never adjust to the changes in light, and everything becomes a huge, swirling mass of shadows. It sometimes pulses so quickly that it looks like a strobe light. My doctors say that these side effects have never been reported and there's nothing they can do. For me, it is not worth it."

Adrian J May 19, 2015

For Mania: "It's good for mood stabilization, but I want off, I want to switch. My doctors won't listen. The weight gain is terrible, and I'm exhausted all of the time. I feel hopeless and helpless."

sockfairy May 13, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: "I have been having migraines for 3 years. I took a beta blocker that didn't work. Then got put on Depakote for migraines. I was on it for a month with no big migraines unless I had my trigger food. Then I realized I gained 5 pounds, was tried all the time and broke out like I had never been before. Medicine works for migraines but has terrible side effects. Had to stop taking"

soccerbjsweetie April 3, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "Into the third week became very depressed. I was so tired all I wanted to do was sleep. Than my lower back became so painful I could hardly sit down. I also was getting the twitches and all my joints ached. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: "Hi, I'm 24 years old and I've been epileptic for about 12 years. I've seen my fair share of doctors and I was either too medicated or ignored, so remember, the doctor isn't always right. I recently found my current doctor about 3 years ago and she has gone above and beyond for me. I am currently seizure free and can drive. I currently take 1000mg Depakote ER a day 200 mg of Topamax a day to balance out the weight gain. I do have a slight problem with my hair, it won't grow, but that's okay."

Happygurl (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 4, 2015

For Bipolar Disorder: "Dosage 250mg 1/c daily initially caused drastic strain on liver and overwhelming sedation. 30days of 125mg 2/c daily significantly reduced liver and kidney pain while improving emotional stability, depression, impulsivity & patience with interpersonal relationships. Recommend in conjunction with an antipsychotic for people with BPD/Emotion-Impulse Regulation Dysfunction."

ARODC77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

For Migraine Prevention: "I have had terrible headaches since I was 8 years old and nearly broke my neck in a fall from a bucking horse (0ver 50 years ago). My neck grew all screwed up and I often woke up with headaches on one side of my head and behind my eyes and across my forehead. I always felt nauseated but had to put starches in my stomach to cushion the ibuprofen I was gobbling. Then I started taking 125 mg 2/times daiiy of Divalproes DR about a year a go. My headaches were less right away and no side affects. I'm now taking 250 mg to 750 mg 2/times. Depending on the headache. Getting regular neck adjustments always enables me to reduce back to the 250 mg 2 times daily and I hope to keep it at that level. "

Pony up Pardner (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: "I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014

For Bipolar Disorder: "Have been on Depakote 500mg for almost a week now starting to feel back to normal and helping to control mania. Also taking with 50mg Vyvanse and 50mg Seroquel at night seems to be okay except still have times when I feel I'm losing it but overall more stable, will see how it goes in the next couple weeks. "

heisenburg December 8, 2014

For Mania: "I feel sane and stable after being on divalproex for only a short time. The violent, gripping anxiety is gone for the first time in years. My doc gave it to me to help once I realized the suicidal thoughts I was having were caused by the fluoxetine (SSRI) I had been using for my obsessive compulsive disorder and anxiety."

iniromls (taken for less than 1 month) December 2, 2014