User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Hyperekplexia 1 reviews 13 medications

Cyclothymic Disorder 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Divalproex sodium reviews 198 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Review by livelife52:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose

October 13, 2014 12:04 AM

Review by eg145 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Mania: Very fast onset to terminate mania

October 11, 2014 11:15 AM

Review by Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 3, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by akc110683:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?

September 27, 2014 10:41 PM

Review by Becca1248 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: Used this for a few months as recommended to prevent my frequent and painful migraines that I've had since I was 12. Depakote was okay I guess. I still had two major migraines while on it, and didn't give it any extra time because the side effects are awful! I wanted to sleep constantly. Felt depressed and irritable, and hated life! Plus, the weight gain alone I experienced in a couple months was absolutely enough reason for me to not want to be on it anymore.... I gained about 15-20 lbs!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 9:35 PM

Review by BuilderB:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: Started with Depakote upon being diagnosed with Juvenile Myoclonic Epilepsy in my teens. I took it for years without issue. I decided to switch to Keppra XR because of potential liver issues with Depakote and the somewhat tiresome redundancy of labwork related to Depakote use. Keppra XR did not work for me as my memory began growing progressively worse and I could not think clearly. I also began losing my train of thought mid sentence fairly often. Switched back to Depakote ER, and am feeling much better mentally. The quarterly labwork is not a big deal when compared to being in a mind fog for over a year. That's my experience, hope everyone finds what's right for them. P.S. I do not take generics, noticeably more side effects.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 26, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Timmaaaaa:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!

August 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Review by Cpcmom (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I have struggled with migraines for 14 years. I have tried so many medications over the years. The past 3 years my migraines have gotten worse. I have been put in the hospital for a week to a week and a half at a time. The last time I went to the neurologist they added Depakote twice a day to see if it would help cut back on the number of migraines I was having. I would have at least one a day. I was currently on Topamax twice a day, Fioricet, Zofran. When I started Depakote I noticed my weight was going up well I have been on the medication 3 months now and I have gained 40 pounds. This is so crazy. I used to weigh 298lbs. And I don't want to go back there. When my scale started going over the 200 mark again.

July 23, 2014 5:00 PM

Review by Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly.

June 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by Cowboy 61:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I have only been taking Depakote ER 500 mg for 10 days now, or maybe I should say nights. I take it at bed time, & was supposed to start taking it twice a day after a week but the upset stomach, the shakes, (or extra nervousness), no sign of relief of my migraines, & I haven't been able to sleep at night either.. I'm going to tell my Dr. that I just can't take it any more.

June 22, 2014 3:15 AM

Review by X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually.

April 20, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by Like (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Bipolar Disorder: Really good experience to this medicine. I love it

April 15, 2014 11:43 PM

Review by i2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Caused suicidal depression

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by oceanluvr (taken for 2 to 5 years):

For Bipolar Disorder: It is almost perfect for me except for the memory loss, swollen ankles, feet, legs, hands and face. It helps a.lot with my anxiety and brain fog. I almost "Feel normal" on it.

March 14, 2014 7:46 PM

Review by linseygrl75:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: Taking Depakote for grand mal seizures since I was 12. I'm 28 it has always worked unless I don't take it. It thinned out my hair, made me gain 15 lbs and makes me really tired. I take 1000 mg a day. It is very toxic for your liver, you really should not drink on it! Working out helps with battling the tiredness. Hoping to switch to Lamictal again. I hate the side effects but it works great for grand mal seizures!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 2:07 PM

Review by hekhek26 (taken for 10 years or more):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: I was put on Depakote when I was 17 when I started to have seizures due to head trauma from a motorcycle accident. Initially my dose was higher I don't remember exactly how high but then I was lowered to Depakote ER 500mg once a day. As long as I took my medicine and didn't drink as much as before and got regular sleep I did not have any seizures. When I've ran out of the medication and went out and drank (like an idiot) I had a seizure the next day. This happened to me like 3 times but it's my own fault. Anyway as long as I take it daily and control any other factors that could cause a seizure I'm seizure free. I've never had a seizure while taking this. First side effects were slight hair loss which stopped. But I did gain weight.

February 15, 2014 12:36 PM

Review by PamelaCosta:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: After being on Depakote Er for 8 months, it was really effective in reducing the migraines. As side effects, I never gained one single pound, but the hair loss was just unbearable. I lost half of all my hair. I had to stop taking it, unfortunately. I have always had headaches, since I was a child. Before Depakote, I stayed one month having headaches every single day, had to stay in bed, couldn't even walk, and I felt like I reached the lowest point in my life, I wouldn't be able to live with the pain anymore, I had no life. After 2 weeks on Depakote er 500mg I started getting better. I was having only 8/10 per month. Now I'm on topiramate for 2 weeks, the hair is still falling a lot and the migraines are back, almost everyday.

February 5, 2014 9:16 AM

Review by TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks

February 4, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer.

January 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Review by ved (taken for 10 years or more):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Epilepsy: 51 yr old female, I've had seizures since I was 12, every kind, I was on every medicine under the sun. Taking Depakote ER and Carbatrol ER seems to be only meds that work for me. some side effects nothing I can't handle, better than having seizures all day. (tired, sometimes depressed, trembles, jerks). I have gran mal / tonic clonic about 1 every 10 years.

October 18, 2013 10:53 AM

Review by Stacyesd:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Bipolar Disorder: Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%.

October 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Review by Toban M:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I've also been trying different preventive medication for migraines with my doctor and so far Depakote is working the best. I started with 250mg a day for the first week, now at 500 mg a day. Before this medication, I would wake up daily with chronic head pain in the neck or behind the eyes. Now I wake up almost every morning with a clear head. I haven't seen any side effects yet at this dosage and I've even lost weight since I've been proactive with daily exercise. I started walking 2 miles daily since taking this medication. With proactive exercise and eating habits, I think anyone can keep potential side effects at bay. Previously, I was on Topamax and had to stop taking it as the nausea/head fuzz was too severe for my line of work.

October 15, 2013 10:23 AM

Review by Renosandy:

Depakote (divalproex sodium) for Migraine Prevention: I started back on Depakote 2 weeks ago. My headaches are better but my hands are shaky and my stomach aches. Better than a migraine so I will continue.

October 1, 2013 4:13 PM