User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 62 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Bipolar Disorder

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I had a strong desire to drive off of the road even with other people in the car. Otherwise this worked well but the desire increased the longer I was on it."

Corrie B May 24, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

"Dosage 250mg 1/c daily initially caused drastic strain on liver and overwhelming sedation. 30days of 125mg 2/c daily significantly reduced liver and kidney pain while improving emotional stability, depression, impulsivity & patience with interpersonal relationships. Recommend in conjunction with an antipsychotic for people with BPD/Emotion-Impulse Regulation Dysfunction."

ARODC77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014

"Have been on Depakote 500mg for almost a week now starting to feel back to normal and helping to control mania. Also taking with 50mg Vyvanse and 50mg Seroquel at night seems to be okay except still have times when I feel I'm losing it but overall more stable, will see how it goes in the next couple weeks. "

heisenburg December 8, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!"

Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose"

livelife52 October 13, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy."

Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?"

akc110683 September 27, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better. "

Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!"

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

115 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly."

Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually."

X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2014

"Really good experience to this medicine. I love it"

Like (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Caused suicidal depression"

i2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014

"It is almost perfect for me except for the memory loss, swollen ankles, feet, legs, hands and face. It helps a.lot with my anxiety and brain fog. I almost "Feel normal" on it."

oceanluvr (taken for 2 to 5 years) March 14, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks"

TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 4, 2014

80 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer."

Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now."

gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2013

106 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%."

Stacyesd October 15, 2013

76 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it."

crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) September 20, 2013

119 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
Page 1 2 3 4 5 Next