User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium Review Summary

6.6/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 49 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Bipolar Disorder

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have to say this drug did more harm then good and my body is very dependent on it. In only a year span I started having serious weight and back issues. I have never had any issues with my back but all of a sudden my bones started to get brittle. Then the disc herniations started happening, and like a domino effect entire spine was damaged. I see along of info on children or babies effected with their spine but apparently it can do the same for a grown adult. I was put on this med for anxiety and what my dr thought was bp. Turns out as time goes by dr lowers my depakote and cAme to the conclusion I do not have bp. Great.. Damage done.. Abnormal EEG. , spine damage, and severe chemical dependency .. Lost my hair , my looks, weight ."

Chrissyanddan (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 19, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "This was my first medication for Bi-Polar, I'm a 40 year old woman and a long distance runner. This medication was great because it made the rapid thoughts and anxiety go away. However if you're an athlete like I am, I found this difficult as it caused extreme fatigue to the point where I was a couch potato not wanting to do anything. I gained 10 pounds in the first month and found it exhausting to run even a mile where I'm accustomed to running much more. My doctor is switching me to Topamax, today will be my first day taking it and I'm praying for good results."

BellaSN40 July 22, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I took this at night per my doctor, and about the 3rd week I noticed a huge change in my energy and I started having severe muscle cramping and weakness. I woke up in the morning feeling beat up and muscle soreness everywhere. It didn't really help with my issue either. I stopped taking it, and 3 days later the muscle soreness was completely gone"

AlliGibby July 7, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Being un-diagnosed bi-polar for almost 40 years having many manic breaks until one was so big I wound up hospitalized. I was put on Topamax, Prozac and Lunesta. With a Bi-Polar type II diagnosis I had to change my lifestyle. Already in recovery I approached mental health in the same way.Topamax soon wasn't enough so my doc tried Latuda and it didn't work. Depakote is working great I am finally myself! Yes it makes me hungry I just keep my calorie count the same. The med doesn't cause weight gain - my decisions do. With how well it works I'd take some curves and feel this awesome any day!!"

Jayhawk75 (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 4, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Very smooth mood stabilizer, no side effects. I take 1200 mg/d."

be2 (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 30, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Since 2006 I have been on some sort of med for my depression or what my family doctor thought was depression. First med was Lexapro and boy did it send me into a manic stage. Never felt so high in my life, a cloud was lifted. That drug worked for a while but soon after it lost its effectiveness. Tried about every SSRI on the market until we ran out and at that point I did not want to live anymore. Family dr sent me to a psychiatric hospital in which I saw my first pyschiatrist who said my OCD was the root of my depression so he put me on Luvox along with my Klonopin. After a while I seemed better but not for long. Been on Depakote ER 1000MG ever since and everything seems fine, except weight gain. Mood better."

Rusty1133 June 17, 2015

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I had a strong desire to drive off of the road even with other people in the car. Otherwise this worked well but the desire increased the longer I was on it."

Corrie B May 24, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote worked for me as a mood stabilizer, but caused a lot of side effects. Weight gain = 30 pounds in 3 months and pancreatitis. Doctors didn't realize the pancreatitis was from the combination of two of my medications until I had it three times - pancreatitis is excruciatingly painful and lead to me losing my job from losing so much time at work. I'm giving this medication a low rating event though it worked well for my mood because there are so many other medications out there for bipolar that are weight neutral and don't cause organ damage."

BAEEEEEEE (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 30, 2015

"Dosage 250mg 1/c daily initially caused drastic strain on liver and overwhelming sedation. 30days of 125mg 2/c daily significantly reduced liver and kidney pain while improving emotional stability, depression, impulsivity & patience with interpersonal relationships. Recommend in conjunction with an antipsychotic for people with BPD/Emotion-Impulse Regulation Dysfunction."

ARODC77 (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 3, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote didn't seem to do much with my mood swings."

Dragonley (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 28, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "My husband says Depakote is having a positive impact on me as well as our family! I'm not in bed all day or hanging around the bedroom. I'm up and about the house. Since decluttered, even organized! My personality has blossomed too. The last six years I tried a wide spectrum of medications; Seroquel, Lamictal, Latuda, zonisamide, carbamazepine to name a few! My bipolar worsened five years ago after our last child. The side effects were hair shedding within three weeks but no significant weight gain. I have always had a thick head of hair so it's not really noticeable but I can tell one side limp and not hanging full. I've started biotin along with a multivitamin. My Doc also told me to try a zinc a supplement. Overall I feel it is working."

D. Peoples (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 22, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "By chance I started taking Depakote around the time that my SAD normally kicks in and after a month it had stopped it dead in it's tracks; no depression and only very mild manic episodes. I'm also now experiencing a sense of inner calm and mental clarity than I ever thought possible. No side effects other than vivid dreams and some weight gain, which is par the course for me this time of year anyway and a small price to pay for the improvements I'm seeing."

Matthew H December 28, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I'm on Depokote 250mg in the morning and 500mg at night. I am also on olanzapine 5mg and fluoxetine 20mg which works wonders together. I have bipolar and whilst on Depokote suffered a bad spell of depression so was put on fluoxetine which has changed my life, I'm such a happier calmer person now."

Tigerbeck (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 20, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I have been on Depakote ER for 4 months. My dosage is 1500mg a day. I went untreated for many years (18yrs) because I didn't have health care and failure to accept something was wrong even though I was a lot off the wall. After 3 weeks of Depakote my moods were pretty even and stable. I also felt a little numb, I missed my highs, but it was better than being psychotic one minute and crying in another. But at the 4 month mark my hair has started falling out in clumps, that was my only side effect. So I'm now transitioning to lithium. Fingers crossed."

SariahMc December 13, 2014

"Have been on Depakote 500mg for almost a week now starting to feel back to normal and helping to control mania. Also taking with 50mg Vyvanse and 50mg Seroquel at night seems to be okay except still have times when I feel I'm losing it but overall more stable, will see how it goes in the next couple weeks. "

heisenburg December 8, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I recently found out I was bipolar 2 at the age of 24. I was 16 getting panic attacks didn't think anything of it. Finally I started getting more stress as I got older. I was on an antidepressant for 4 years not knowing I was bipolar. Someone who is bipolar should not just take an antidepressant because it will just put them into mania. That is what was happening to me. I checked myself into the hospital for intrusive thoughts, I'm not depressed I don't want to hurt anyone or myself but didn't know why these thoughts were coming so often. I also suffer from severe anxiety. I now take 40mg of Prozac 500mg of Depakote and 0.5mg of Ativan twice a day on Ativan. My medicines are starting to work wonders for me. I'm me again!"

Crazymed (taken for 1 to 6 months) November 30, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Crushed mania fast on 2000 mg/d and currentyl stable on this dose"

livelife52 October 13, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "It made me cognitively impaired, numb, have headaches and caused weight gain. Plus no energy."

Depapecspecs (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 3, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I started on Depakote by my new neurologist. I've had bad depressions and bipolar attacks, but about 2 yrs ago I started having seizures. This new neurologist took me off of all my medicines and just put me on a low dose of Depakote. I've been seizure free and much happier in general. The only things are the constant snacking and I seem to catch colds and flus easier. Any advice about that?"

akc110683 September 27, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better. "

Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 20, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!"

Timmaaaaa August 1, 2014

130 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly."

Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 30, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually."

X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 20, 2014

"Really good experience to this medicine. I love it"

Like (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 15, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Caused suicidal depression"

i2 (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2014