User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium review summary

6.5/10 Average Rating

Compare all 64 medications used in the treatment of Bipolar Disorder.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Bipolar Disorder

Review by Debbbiiieee (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I was a Zombie and gained so much weight. Now I take Lamictal and so much better.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 20, 2014 11:16 AM

Review by Timmaaaaa:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Depakote does wonders for me but have heard it's not well for others. I don't get many of the side effects except for the weight gain. But let's face it, why am I gaining weight? Because I'm not as stressed out anymore. I try and use it to my advantage being a weight lifter/exercise nut. Which is also a good thing for someone dealing with anxiety and depression by the way. I do have to say when I want to read something I can without having to go back and read it over again because I just had 33 1/2 things run through my head during the last sentence. I'm not saying it is for everyone but for me it is life changing. I hope this helps in your quest for finding the right script. I know it can be hell working it all out, but trust me you will get there!

August 1, 2014 7:55 AM

Review by Bolar1967 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): This medication helped my symptoms tremendously. The main issue I had (and had to stop taking the medication) was low platelet count. Please if you are on this medication have your platelets checked routinely. My therapist never told me this could be a side effect... I finally went to my family physician because I was bruising so badly.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

June 30, 2014 9:38 PM

Review by X21389 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): Had to take it in conjunction with Seroquel for it to work. Currently on 1g of Depakote ER per day and 50mg of Seroquel per night. With the two mood stabilizers, I am able to take 20mg of Dexedrine ER for my ADHD to focus on work/school without spinning myself into a hypomanic episode. Keep experimenting, until you find what works. I know it can be discouraging, but you'll get there eventually.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 20, 2014 9:59 PM

Review by Like (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Really good experience to this medicine. I love it

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 15, 2014 11:43 PM

Review by i2 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): Caused suicidal depression

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 7, 2014 11:53 AM

Review by oceanluvr (taken for 2 to 5 years):

It is almost perfect for me except for the memory loss, swollen ankles, feet, legs, hands and face. It helps a.lot with my anxiety and brain fog. I almost "Feel normal" on it.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 14, 2014 7:46 PM

Review by TheGraduate (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I have ADHD and Bipolar Type 2. I started seeing Depakote's first signs of mood stabilization after a week on 500mg daily (a very small dose). It was great to have a clear mind. At the low dose I've been on, I would say my Bipolar symptoms are about 75% under control, which is great. I can also sleep easier. In terms of side-effects, all I've gotten are vivid dreams on a nightly basis (not nightmares, but sometimes uncomfortable) and very brief auditory hallucinations (hear a loud bang, like a door closing, stuff like that). The hallucinations happen about two times per night, but I've been through worse hallucinations on SSRIs, so I am not too concerned. I also take between 20 and 30mg Dexedrine ER per day for my ADHD. It's been 3 weeks

February 4, 2014 11:58 PM

Review by Qbug223 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Depakote was given to me for onset postpartum psychosis and underlying bipolar 1 as a mood stabilizer. It did it's job. Wonderful results mentally, obsessive thoughts were all but gone and combined with my antipsychotic, it made my life much better. But, the weight gain was hellish. I have gained 11 pounds in two weeks, and am looking at switching at my appointment on Monday. So, not good if you are looking for a weight neutral mood stabilizer.

January 10, 2014 11:52 PM

Review by gradstudent_10 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I was diagnosed with Bipolar 2 five years ago and have been on many many medicines. I always took atypical antipsychotics, but never a true mood stabilizer. My new doctor put me on Depakote because I was getting neurological shaking symptoms from the atypical antipsychotic so she started me on Depakote and I have to say I love it. I'm up to 1000mg a day now, and as she lowers my atypical, she might have to increase the Depakote to 1500 mgs. No weight gain, in fact, I had weight loss. I was really hungry in the beginning and I might have gained a pound, but that went away and my appetite changed, vivid dreams (sometimes), but I can deal. I love this, I'm in such a better mood now.

November 30, 2013 5:13 PM

Review by Stacyesd:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Best medicine ever for me. Started with lithium after diagnosis for bipolar. Lithium gave terrible side effects so after switching to Depakote, life became much easier for a chemically challenged like me. Took almost 1 year before 100%.

October 15, 2013 2:22 PM

Review by crazytoo (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Tried all other bi-polar medicines throughout the past 10 yrs. This one has the least side effects of them all. People tell me my behavior has vastly improved on Depakote. It's hard for me to see myself through other peoples eyes. But, sometimes maybe I should. Personally, for me, Depakote has been a life saver, I didn't want to live with it but find I can not live without it.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 20, 2013 10:54 PM

Review by Sweaty Mom (taken for 10 years or more):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I have been on Depakote for 10 years. I can tell that it does calm me down. As most people are saying in this forum it does make me very tired. The symptoms that I have had for 10 years are extra sweating, (it seems to be coming from my scalp and down my face). Weight gain that I can't seem to lose, and I'm wondering if anyone else has a ringing or drumming in one or both ears. I've been to many Doctors just about my ear but they can't find anything wrong.

September 3, 2013 3:05 AM

Review by 40 yr old woman (taken for less than 1 month):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I took Depakote for bipolar and the very first night I had very vivid dreams which turned into nightmares and audio visual hallucinations. It's been 3 days and my dreams are not back to normal yet. I've read the reviews and it seems to work for most people. I haven't gotten a good night's sleep. My doctor put me back on Trileptal 300 mgs twice a day.

September 1, 2013 1:44 AM

Review by Anita Key (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): This medicine has been great for me. I do not feel any side effects. I actually lost 25 pounds... I had been on lithium for 28 years.

August 24, 2013 8:37 PM

Review by soul queen:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I've been on Depakote for 10 days. I also take 250mgs of quetiapine 50 mgs. My psychiatrist is reluctant to diagnose bipolar but seems to be treating me for it. I feel calmer so far on Depakote, but still feel a bit down. I was a bit high my psychiatrist said I wasn't manic.

August 24, 2013 4:31 PM

Review by Totally Sarcastic:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I was just newly diagnosed with bi-polar. I started feeling the effects of my antidepressants as they made me feel too euphoric and unhinged. There are days when I feel as though I can conquer the world and nothing can stand in my way and days when I feel low, as though the world is on top of me. Sometimes, I can laugh and then cry out of nowhere. It's like a roller-coaster ride that seems to get out of control. Anyway, I tried the lamotrigine and I could feel that it was stabilizing me, but it caused brain zaps. Now I am on Depakote @ 250 mg twice daily and I feel really good. It just depends on your system. Everyone is different. You have to find what is right for you.

August 22, 2013 12:26 PM

Review by Patient67 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I started up on 250mg and ended up at 1500mg. I noticed very subtle effects if any. Hard to remember, I went through a lot and was on Seroquel also at the time. Seemed to have a slight calming effect. However after time it raised my liver enzymes and lowered my platelet count (which is a potential side effect) So I went off of it. I don't have many hypomanic episodes and never a manic episode so I don't know why my dose got that high. Didn't notice anything significant. Gained 20 lbs, made me sick and tired. Wasn't for me.

August 12, 2013 5:04 PM

Review by fifi87:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Could not afford Abilify out of pocket, started back on Depakote. I had no problem with gain weight. I do however find I tend to be a little more moody but less frequently. I take with bupropion XR. Seems to be a decent cocktail. Not too potent, and not under effective. I like how it does not create a sedative effect like antipsychotics.

August 10, 2013 1:59 AM

Review by braziej (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Has helped in manic episodes a little but still experience depressional relapses and moodiness.

July 25, 2013 2:10 PM

Review by mouseman76:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): Have been Bipolar since 89. I have been on Depakote for 9 years, 500 mg x 3. I went from 210lbs to 304lbs. I have been on just about everything over the years. A little bit lethargic, but this seems to have stabilized me the best.

July 19, 2013 10:38 AM

Review by Brutalfashion (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): For mood stabilization, depakote worked out well for me, but it also helped me gain about 50 lbs! Once I started slowly switching off it, the pounds started coming off.

July 18, 2013 5:17 PM

Review by Rach88 (taken for less than 1 month):

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I've been on this for 3 weeks now. It has definitely helped my mania. But I'm still very depressed. I've been having very vivid nightmares. Which is strange because I take medicine for those. I also take Ambien and citolopram. I feel like that's a lot of chemicals in my body. I am a drinker but that hasn't seemed to affect anything. My side effects are pretty much exactly what I've been told and read up on. With the exception of the bad dreams. Blood work must be fine. Doc hasn't called. So far so good.

June 2, 2013 11:50 PM

Review by Anne78:

Depakote (divalproex sodium): I've been on Depakote for almost a year now. I also take Paxil and Wellbutrin. I gained around 10lbs right from the start. My weight has seemed to have stayed steady the last few months. It's extremely hard to lose it. I have been through a lot of different medications to try and treat bipolar disorder. Even with the medicines I'm on, I'm still depressed and like I don't matter. I'm very sleepy and can lay down and take a nap at any time. I started taking B Complex because I stay so sleepy. My new concern is memory. I can't think of words and dates or names like movie stars very fast and it concerns me.

May 15, 2013 9:55 PM

Review by Stacey M:

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): I was recently hospitalized during a manic episode. I have been treated for bipolar going on 20 years ( I'm 41). I have been on Zyprexa and other medicines for anxiety. I am a rapid cycler (frequent manic episodes). I have tried all the meds from A-Z. It's been a awhile since I've tried Depakote, but it's the first thing they put me on in the hospital. It's been 15 days I think it's ok, but when I lay down I feel like weights are holding me to the bed and I seem to get disorientated as to my location in the house ( weird right??). When I get up all is fine again. If anyone has experienced this please share, it would really help. Let's face it "regular" people would freak just having this discussion.

April 25, 2013 6:02 PM