User Reviews for Divalproex sodium

Also known as: Depakote, Depakote ER, Depakote Sprinkles

Learn more about Divalproex sodium.

Divalproex sodium Review Summary

6.4/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 31 medications used in the treatment of Migraine Prevention.

Reviews for Divalproex sodium to treat Migraine Prevention

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I ben taking 1,000mg a day .I split up 500 in morning and 500 at night for 3 months. I gained 35pounds in the first month. Its a great mood stabilizer, but it only works part of the time. I have the shakes ,acne , vision problems from it. I took topimax before it was great but I got kidney stones from it . I need to get another med that actually works!"

d273 June 18, 2015

"I took Depakote for six weeks exactly a year ago. I immediately began experiencing hallucinations, visual disturbances, and constant shakiness. I have been off of Depakote for nearly a year, but these side effects haven't ever gone away. The visual disturbances are constant. In light, it's just a thin, clear layer of static over everything, which is annoying, but tolerable. I still haven't gotten used to the hallucinations I experience in the dark. My eyes never adjust to the changes in light, and everything becomes a huge, swirling mass of shadows. It sometimes pulses so quickly that it looks like a strobe light. My doctors say that these side effects have never been reported and there's nothing they can do. For me, it is not worth it."

Adrian J May 19, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have been having migraines for 3 years. I took a beta blocker that didn't work. Then got put on Depakote for migraines. I was on it for a month with no big migraines unless I had my trigger food. Then I realized I gained 5 pounds, was tried all the time and broke out like I had never been before. Medicine works for migraines but has terrible side effects. Had to stop taking"

soccerbjsweetie April 3, 2015

"Into the third week became very depressed. I was so tired all I wanted to do was sleep. Than my lower back became so painful I could hardly sit down. I also was getting the twitches and all my joints ached. "

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 16, 2015

"I have had terrible headaches since I was 8 years old and nearly broke my neck in a fall from a bucking horse (0ver 50 years ago). My neck grew all screwed up and I often woke up with headaches on one side of my head and behind my eyes and across my forehead. I always felt nauseated but had to put starches in my stomach to cushion the ibuprofen I was gobbling. Then I started taking 125 mg 2/times daiiy of Divalproes DR about a year a go. My headaches were less right away and no side affects. I'm now taking 250 mg to 750 mg 2/times. Depending on the headache. Getting regular neck adjustments always enables me to reduce back to the 250 mg 2 times daily and I hope to keep it at that level. "

Pony up Pardner (taken for 1 to 6 months) February 15, 2015

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Used this for a few months as recommended to prevent my frequent and painful migraines that I've had since I was 12. Depakote was okay I guess. I still had two major migraines while on it, and didn't give it any extra time because the side effects are awful! I wanted to sleep constantly. Felt depressed and irritable, and hated life! Plus, the weight gain alone I experienced in a couple months was absolutely enough reason for me to not want to be on it anymore.... I gained about 15-20 lbs!"

Becca1248 (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 29, 2014

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I have struggled with migraines for 14 years. I have tried so many medications over the years. The past 3 years my migraines have gotten worse. I have been put in the hospital for a week to a week and a half at a time. The last time I went to the neurologist they added Depakote twice a day to see if it would help cut back on the number of migraines I was having. I would have at least one a day. I was currently on Topamax twice a day, Fioricet, Zofran. When I started Depakote I noticed my weight was going up well I have been on the medication 3 months now and I have gained 40 pounds. This is so crazy. I used to weigh 298lbs. And I don't want to go back there. When my scale started going over the 200 mark again."

Cpcmom (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 23, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I have only been taking Depakote ER 500 mg for 10 days now, or maybe I should say nights. I take it at bed time, & was supposed to start taking it twice a day after a week but the upset stomach, the shakes, (or extra nervousness), no sign of relief of my migraines, & I haven't been able to sleep at night either.. I'm going to tell my Dr. that I just can't take it any more."

Cowboy 61 June 22, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "After being on Depakote Er for 8 months, it was really effective in reducing the migraines. As side effects, I never gained one single pound, but the hair loss was just unbearable. I lost half of all my hair. I had to stop taking it, unfortunately. I have always had headaches, since I was a child. Before Depakote, I stayed one month having headaches every single day, had to stay in bed, couldn't even walk, and I felt like I reached the lowest point in my life, I wouldn't be able to live with the pain anymore, I had no life. After 2 weeks on Depakote er 500mg I started getting better. I was having only 8/10 per month. Now I'm on topiramate for 2 weeks, the hair is still falling a lot and the migraines are back, almost everyday."

PamelaCosta February 5, 2014

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I've also been trying different preventive medication for migraines with my doctor and so far Depakote is working the best. I started with 250mg a day for the first week, now at 500 mg a day. Before this medication, I would wake up daily with chronic head pain in the neck or behind the eyes. Now I wake up almost every morning with a clear head. I haven't seen any side effects yet at this dosage and I've even lost weight since I've been proactive with daily exercise. I started walking 2 miles daily since taking this medication. With proactive exercise and eating habits, I think anyone can keep potential side effects at bay. Previously, I was on Topamax and had to stop taking it as the nausea/head fuzz was too severe for my line of work."

Toban M October 15, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I started back on Depakote 2 weeks ago. My headaches are better but my hands are shaky and my stomach aches. Better than a migraine so I will continue."

Renosandy October 1, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Got on it for migraines, it worked great for the first 8 months. The last 4 months I've gotten depressed, panic attacks. I lost weight so weight gain wasn't an issue but I've always had issue with weight loss and not gaining. Made me lose appetite a lot and I was never thirsty either."

carebear27817 (taken for 1 to 2 years) July 9, 2013

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "Medication was very effective at controlling silent migraines but long term use (more than 10 years) has resulted in a 60 pound weight gain, hair loss and shakiness. Recently have felt very fatigued and confused. "

CharlotteRosa May 21, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I've always suffered from migraines. I take 500 ER twice a day and gained 16lbs in less than 3 weeks. Since I'm already overweight this caused severe back pain in which I can barely walk and my legs are numb. Works wonders for my migraine but the side effects aren't worth it!"

YDP (taken for less than 1 month) May 11, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "I went on Depakote 10 weeks ago. My migraines are no different, but I've gained 25 pounds. That's just crazy! Just switched to propranolol and I think my headaches are getting better."

Jessecat (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 3, 2013

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "One dose sent me to the ER with a horrible dystonic reaction."

tlrome (taken for less than 1 month) December 27, 2012

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Before Depakote, I've tried vitamin B2, verapamil, and Topamax, but for one reason or another none of them have worked. About 6 months ago, my doctor started me on Depakote. Once I started using it, my daily headaches became a lot more tolerable, but haven't gone away completely, and my severe migraines are at about once a month. However, like many others, there was a noticeable weight gain--about 20 pounds--soon after I started, and it's been pretty steady since. I've also had a bout of depression recently, but it's hard to tell how that's related to the medicine because it isn't my first time. As of right now, I'm not sure the minor benefits are worth the side effects."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) December 14, 2012

"Have had migraines for over 20 years. Frequency had increased to more than 15-20 migraines a month. Some would go away with Imitrex or Amerge, some would not. Finally went to see a neurologist (who was a migraine specialist) and we tried several medicines which did not work. She recently prescribed Divalproex Sodium 500 mg, and I have only had one migraine in 4 weeks. Gained 5 lbs but a life without almost daily terrible pain is so worth the possible related weight gain. It is life changing."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 18, 2012

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Worked well for migraines but had to stop due to double vision, dizziness and 16 pound weight gain in three weeks."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) October 2, 2012

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I had used this medication for more than 15 years, before it stopped preventing my chronic migraine headaches. I was taking it up to 2000 mg per: night daily and didn't have any side effects of it since the very beginning of taking it (in lower dose, of course) and even when took max dose as described. Had a very easy adjusting to it, also and no unpleasanties whatsoever."

Anonymous April 11, 2012

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "Taking Depakote for migraine prevention. My headaches finally went away after a year and a half of chronic migraines. Free for 7 months but my headaches have returned now. I've also gained 10 pounds since I started the medication, had some hair loss at the beginning and I do have a problem with constant anxiety."

Anonymous March 1, 2012

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "I along with most people here have had an excellent result with Depakote ER, however the biggest side affect for me is the weight gain. (10 lbs in a month!!)May I add, I eat healthy and work out...it just keeps coming. I've been on Topamax for 17 months with no relief. I hope there's something else I can try that's comparable to Depakote ER, I really don't want to be obese from medicine."

Anonymous February 29, 2012

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "My 12 year old son has been having migraines for 2 years now. At first it was only once every few months. However, it progressed to once or twice a week - with vision aura and speech disturbance. I took him to a Pediatric Neurologist and he said it was likely from puberty. He prescribed 500 mg of Depakote ER. It seemed to start working right away. It has been almost 2 months now and he has only had one migraine now in almost 2 months. Far better than before. He hasn't had any of the noticeable side effects - hair loss, weight gain. He takes it before bedtime. It is hard to get him up in the morning but don't know if that is from the medicine or from going to bed too late!"

seanhanamom February 6, 2012

Depakote ER (divalproex sodium): "This has worked better then anything else I've tried. I have gained weight though and I still get the flashes of light and dark spots. "

crimsonbelle70 January 14, 2012

Depakote (divalproex sodium): "For prevention, I give Depakote a 10 . I was having migraines 7 days a week. Mine began at the age of 4 (at least that's when I was old enough to put words to how it felt in my head. Dr. said I'd probably had them long before that). I have genetic and environmental migraines. Lucky me! I was in a test group that tried Depakote to see if it worked for prevention of migraines. I went 14 days without a headache for the first time in 10 years. That was almost 30 years ago. Then the weight gain started. I already had a yoyo weight problem. My weight (at 6' tall for a female) had never gone over 190. On Depakote it skyrocketed to 262 lbs. Not nice! I told my neurologist who told me it was all in my head. Changed doctors taking Topamax now!"

Lucy24 October 21, 2011