User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Review Summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 454 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Acne

"I have been using Ortho Tri Cyclen for about six months, and there has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of acne, particularly on my forehead and cheeks. There are still small, mostly unnoticeable bumps around my mouth and chin, but these are gradually decreasing as well (just taking a little longer). The one negative thing that I noticed was that previously, my acne would heal quickly without leaving a scar. Now it heals at the same rate but does leave red/pink scarring on my cheeks. I believe it will go away because it has been fading, but it will likely take a while. As far as my cycle is concerned, my periods have been very regular (something that is unusual for me) and light. I have not had any issues with mood swings."

Anon09 May 4, 2015

"I really like Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I experienced minimal side effects and it has helped keep my skin clear! After the first pack I had hardly any acne. In terms of my sex drive it has stayed the same. I've always had a really high sex drive so I'm glad it didn't affect it! I really like this birth control pill and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from mild/moderate acne."

Jazz2121 April 29, 2015

"I started back in October after suffering about 6months with acne that just kept on getting worse.I had pus filled pimples and small cysts. I didn't see major results until about 2 months in and even then I was still getting one or two cysts. On my third month I wasn't getting cysts and would only get small pimples. I suggest if you start the pill and don't see results immediately to just stick with it for at least 3 months. After my pimples went away I got red hyperpigmentation (which alot of people have been blaming on the pill; its not its from the old pimples) so now I put a little bit of lemon on those parts to lighten them & its been working. As for my period it last for 4 days now instead of 7 but I still bleed alot."

Lex777 April 25, 2015

"I've been on Ortho Tri-cyclen 21 for a month and a week. It does not make me moody or depressed and nor did I gain weight. Those were my two biggest concerns before going on birth control. I am taking it for acne and so far it just tamed my big pimples but I still get small little bumps here and there. I spoke to my doctor and I was told I need to wait at least two months to see results in acne. It helped me incredibly in terms of period cramps, I used to faint often on the first day of my period throwing up and diarrhea. But now none of that thanks to Tri-cyclen :) strongly recommend! beware makes boobs a little sore, not too much."

------ms-------- April 16, 2015

"This is my second time starting Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. This birth control is pretty much the only thing that works for my adult moderate/severe acne. The first time I took it after about 3 months my skin was vastly improved and after 6 months my skin was completely clear. Then after 12 months my pharmacist put me on the generic (Tricira Lo) which is a bad idea. My skin freaked out with cysts all over my chin and near my nose area. I'm on my second month of tri-cyclen and am waiting for my skin to clear up again :("

Anonymous April 6, 2015

"So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,"

olivia1234323 August 25, 2014

"I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen."

SnoopsMom2914 May 1, 2014

"I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen."

saymm April 12, 2014

"I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results."

Happy Bunny October 3, 2013

"I was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen because I have been struggling with bad acne for a few years and my dermatologist asked if my periods are regular and they are not because they come a few days late every time so she told me in order to fix your acne I need for your hormones to be normal and all. I was put on this medication and this medication worked really, really well. My oily skin was GONE and my acne was also completely GONE. I couldn't believe it. BUT one month into taking this pill I noticed my hair thinning I thought it was stress. At the end of the 3rd month of taking this pill I realized it wasn't stress its the side effect of the pill. So I stopped taking this pill."

reviews (taken for 1 to 6 months) March 4, 2013

"28 yr old- healthy/active nurse. Always had minor acne since college but nothing like what I had a year ago last summer (2011). I blame it on YAZ for messing up my hormones. Painful cystic acne covered my jawline and forehead. I'm talking like 20 cysts at a time. Tried every OTC washes, organic, no caffeine, sugar, dairy, you name it. Nothing worked. Even though I did not want to go on the pill, I had too. ORTHO TRI CYCLEN (no the generic) for almost 7 months and finally it's almost clear. It was BAD first few months but I stuck with it. Give it time. PS: Generic is NOT the same as the real thing. Different fillers causes different reactions!"

Anonymous May 15, 2012

"I've been taking this birth control for about 7 months and have no real complaints. It cleared up my skin fairly well. I still break out a little but not as badly as I did before. It regulated my period and shortened it and while I still get cramps I no longer get back cramps or ones that physically make me sick. This birth control made my depression and mood swings, which I was already having slightly worse but nothing a higher dose anti-depressant didn't fix. My breasts were very tender for a few months and I gained a cup size. I gained a little weight at first until I realized the pill was making me hungry, but with exercise and a balanced diet I'm back to my original weight. Overall I say it's worth a try."

Anonymous April 28, 2012

"This was the only thing that worked for my adult acne. It kept my skin relatively clear, especially in the chin area, where I otherwise would get cystic acne during certain weeks of my cycle."

Anonymous July 17, 2011