User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen review summary

8.1/10 Average Rating

Compare all 448 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Acne

Review by SnoopsMom2914:

I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

May 1, 2014 12:21 PM

Review by saymm:

I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2014 2:57 PM

Review by Happy Bunny:

I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results.

October 3, 2013 10:42 AM

Review by reviews (taken for 1 to 6 months):

I was put on Ortho Tri-Cyclen because I have been struggling with bad acne for a few years and my dermatologist asked if my periods are regular and they are not because they come a few days late every time so she told me in order to fix your acne I need for your hormones to be normal and all. I was put on this medication and this medication worked really, really well. My oily skin was GONE and my acne was also completely GONE. I couldn't believe it. BUT one month into taking this pill I noticed my hair thinning I thought it was stress. At the end of the 3rd month of taking this pill I realized it wasn't stress its the side effect of the pill. So I stopped taking this pill.

March 4, 2013 10:25 AM

28 yr old- healthy/active nurse. Always had minor acne since college but nothing like what I had a year ago last summer (2011). I blame it on YAZ for messing up my hormones. Painful cystic acne covered my jawline and forehead. I'm talking like 20 cysts at a time. Tried every OTC washes, organic, no caffeine, sugar, dairy, you name it. Nothing worked. Even though I did not want to go on the pill, I had too. ORTHO TRI CYCLEN (no the generic) for almost 7 months and finally it's almost clear. It was BAD first few months but I stuck with it. Give it time. PS: Generic is NOT the same as the real thing. Different fillers causes different reactions!

May 15, 2012 3:06 PM

I've been taking this birth control for about 7 months and have no real complaints. It cleared up my skin fairly well. I still break out a little but not as badly as I did before. It regulated my period and shortened it and while I still get cramps I no longer get back cramps or ones that physically make me sick. This birth control made my depression and mood swings, which I was already having slightly worse but nothing a higher dose anti-depressant didn't fix. My breasts were very tender for a few months and I gained a cup size. I gained a little weight at first until I realized the pill was making me hungry, but with exercise and a balanced diet I'm back to my original weight. Overall I say it's worth a try.

April 28, 2012 3:27 PM

This was the only thing that worked for my adult acne. It kept my skin relatively clear, especially in the chin area, where I otherwise would get cystic acne during certain weeks of my cycle.

July 17, 2011 12:12 AM