User Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen

Learn more about Ortho Tri-Cyclen.

Ortho Tri-Cyclen Rating Summary

6.9/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 429 medications used in the treatment of Acne.

Reviews for Ortho Tri-Cyclen to treat Acne

"I started taking this because my cycle was every 23 days and I heard that it could help with acne too. I never had bad acne just one or two on my chin the week prior to my period. But after taking this my acne is worse than it has ever been. I've been getting cystic acne all over my cheeks and chin. And the worst part is that they severely scarred my skin and I never scarred before taking birth control. I've heard that in the first few months it can get worse before it gets better but I'm on my 9th month and it just continues to get worse. But I do like that it completely regulated my period to a 28 day cycle. I've decided to switch to a lower hormone birth control to see if that will help the acne subside."

Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 1, 2016

"I've been on Ortho Tri Cyclin for about 12 months and my skin has been flawless. I love how it's cleared up my acne but I'm having major breakthrough bleeding at the moment. I missed 2 pills about 2 weeks ago and I have since then been bleeding continuously and i'm just about to go on my placebo pills, so after i'm finished with this pack it will be about 3 weeks with constant bleeding and it's terrible. Even when I didn't miss any pills I would have breakthrough bleeding the week before I started my placebo pills and it would drive me nuts. Saw my doctor and i'm going to try out another acne birth control, Yasmin so hopefully all goes well...."

SkyH7291 April 27, 2016

"This is my 3rd week on this bc pill! So far I've been quite moody but nothing that has gotten out of control. I've cried for no reason but I'm naturally an emotional person so this doesn't surprise me haha. No weight gain, some headaches and fatigue but nothing intolerable. I had to take Tylenol like 2 or 3 times and every thing was fine. HOWEVER, I am have a mini cystc constellation on one side of my chin :( hoping this will be better and wont happen again. I also got a random cyst on my fore head. I normally only break out on my cheeks."

Moderate Cystic Acne gal March 30, 2016

"I never had acne problems just a few hormonal breakouts once a montb. I had taken another type of pill for 6 years before switching to tri cyclen at the suggestion of my dr. This has given me terrible TERRIBLE acne. There has not been one other change in my life with the exception of switching birth control. I'm in my late twenties and I am now suffering with terrible acne. I see that most people have positive results but if you are like me I want you to know you aren't alone and some of us just got a crappy deal here. I have decided to stop taking the pill and see what happens to my skin. I will consider another option going forward."

elly87 March 21, 2016

"I went on the pill for my acne and I have to say that for that IT COULD NOT BE ANY BETTER. I used to have horrible cystic acne and it was constant but after starting the pill my face is consistently clear. The downside, CRAZY moodswings. I literally burst into tears for no reason all the time and I was diagnosed with anxiety and depression which I never had before I started the pill. I can go from having the best day of my life to not moving from bed for two days in an instant and that scares me so I will be choosing not to take the pill anymore as even though I love having clear skin, I dont want to sacrifice my sanity."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) March 11, 2016

"I used this drug for the sole purpose to control my moderate acne. Side effects: Noticeably more emotional for the first few weeks. After usage of 1 year: My acne has decreased dramatically, but I'm not quite sure if it's because I stopped stressing about my acne, or because I changed my hair products, or because of this drug by itself. My skin started getting clearer around 7 months in to taking this medication. Like I said, I don't know if it was because of this, but I don't want to stop taking it because I'm scared my acne will return back to the way it was. It seems that the longer I've taken it, the clearer my skin has become. :)"

senorababylegs February 11, 2016

"I took ortho tri cyclen for about six months,plenty of time to give it a chance to completely clear my acne but unfortunately that was not the case. My skin always had at least 3 zits. I experienced major spotting almost constantly and only had about 2 months of no blood. I was extremely moody as if I was bipolar and/or always about to get my period.The breakthrough bleeding was so painful. I had to take Tylenol at least once a day.This was my experience but my 23 year old friend loves it and her skin is never better but she does have spotting. I got a 9 month supply of this pill for free "

EMMSTHENAME (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 31, 2016

"I've had issues with acne since around middle school and have literally tried everything from different topical creams to antibiotics. Unfortunately antibiotics were not a safe long term fix so I initially started taking Beyaz and was on that bc for about 4 months. My acne did not improve that significantly so my dermo switched me to Ortho Tricyclen about 3 months ago. I think that you should be aware that your acne will probably get a little worse before it gets better. I had a horrible break out like 2 months in and I got super frustated but now my acne is so much better on my face and chest so I think it's working! I have also been taking spironolactone as well."

Lex2233 January 31, 2016

"So I have been on the pill for just over a month and have noticed my acne get a bit worse. Other than that, it's all positive. Absolutely no mood swings (if anything it has made me more calm)... zero cramps and lighter period. My boobs have increased at least a full cup size! Will give this a try for at least another 5 months as I have heard that acne can get worse before it gets better :)"

nataliepeds January 20, 2016

"I'm finishing my first pack of Ortho currently. I'm pretty disappointed so far. I'm breaking out worse, my acne is more inflamed, and my skin is looking more rough overall. Before starting this medication, my acne was mainly inflamed pustules with a pus-filled head covering my cheeks. Now I'm getting minor "cysts" that are completely under the skin and very red, and really really hurt. My acne has never hurt before and now it is, so that's a change. Also I have more general whiteheads than before. Also noticed my acne is increasing in my chin/jawline area, and beforehand my acne was mainly concentrated in my cheeks. I'm disappointed so far and wondering if I should even continue."

Lc123 (taken for less than 1 month) January 16, 2016

"I'm on the final week of my 3 pack of Ortho. I haven't had any side effects from this. In the past I've had issues with BC affecting my moods and sex drive, abnormal bleeding and making my hormonal acne even worse. So I'm giving it an 8. Because it's not helping helping with my hormonal acne at all."

29PalmsBabe December 29, 2015

"I have delt with acne since I was 15, Throughout high school it was here and there. After high school it got worse and worse. I am now 21 and just finishing my second month on being on Ortho tri-cyclen and my acne has increased since using (which I was told and aware of). I was very hopeful but I'm starting to get discouraged and starting to dread looking at my face everyday. I'm going to continue using it and hope for the best. I really hope this works for me."

Anonymous November 30, 2015

"At around 14, I went from beautiful ice white skin to a horrible battle zone on my face. My forehead and chin were covered in severe acne. I tried everything. Murad, proactive you name it. I wouldn't take pics, I was so ashamed. Hard enough bein a teen! Long story short, I researched And found that ortho tri cyclen was affective. I requested it before they were gonna put me on Accutane (noooo!) & within 3 months my skin was CLEAR and still is. I was 17, now I'm 22. Sometimes you have to research for yourself and be your own advocate with doctors. If not, I would of been put on accutane. The first week you will be a little nauseated on the pill, but it goes away and your periods are only 3 days long with no cramps! Life saver"

Savannah123 November 21, 2015

"This stuff doesn't work for acne . It hasn't helped my skin at all and that was one of the reasons why I got birth control"

Anonymous August 27, 2015

"I went on my first pack this month and am taking my third week right now and just experienced some major break through bleeding ( which I guess is normal so well see how it keeps going) but as far as my acne I used to have insane cysts on my cheeks and chin. Within one week, I had no cysts but just minor small pimples which I'm totally fine with. So I'm on my third week and I don't get the painful cysts anymore. I just had one or two small ones on my chin but that's it! would recommend for acne but the break through bleeding scared me."

Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month) August 27, 2015

"Im writing this because reading this same page is what ultimately convinced me to give birth control a try for my stubborn, cystic, HORMONAL acne. If you've tried everything in the book for acne like I have, (antibiotics, prescribed antibiotics, every OTC cream and wash on the market, DIY...) and it's been as a relentlessly tiring experience- please try BCPs. After talking w my dr, she said that after a week I should see a difference bc thats when your body adjusts. After a week seeing not only no difference but seemingly worse cystic acne all around my chin (my number #1 problem area) I ended up back on here and countless other websites to refer to other people's experiences. And thank god I did- GIVE IT TIME!!!! That's the key to this."

Bryannnaa August 20, 2015

"I have been using Ortho Tri Cyclen for about six months, and there has been a noticeable decrease in the amount of acne, particularly on my forehead and cheeks. There are still small, mostly unnoticeable bumps around my mouth and chin, but these are gradually decreasing as well (just taking a little longer). The one negative thing that I noticed was that previously, my acne would heal quickly without leaving a scar. Now it heals at the same rate but does leave red/pink scarring on my cheeks. I believe it will go away because it has been fading, but it will likely take a while. As far as my cycle is concerned, my periods have been very regular (something that is unusual for me) and light. I have not had any issues with mood swings."

Anon09 May 4, 2015

"I really like Ortho Tri-Cyclen. I experienced minimal side effects and it has helped keep my skin clear! After the first pack I had hardly any acne. In terms of my sex drive it has stayed the same. I've always had a really high sex drive so I'm glad it didn't affect it! I really like this birth control pill and would recommend it to anyone who suffers from mild/moderate acne."

Jazz2121 April 29, 2015

"I started back in October after suffering about 6months with acne that just kept on getting worse.I had pus filled pimples and small cysts. I didn't see major results until about 2 months in and even then I was still getting one or two cysts. On my third month I wasn't getting cysts and would only get small pimples. I suggest if you start the pill and don't see results immediately to just stick with it for at least 3 months. After my pimples went away I got red hyperpigmentation (which alot of people have been blaming on the pill; its not its from the old pimples) so now I put a little bit of lemon on those parts to lighten them & its been working. As for my period it last for 4 days now instead of 7 but I still bleed alot."

Lex777 April 25, 2015

"I've been on Ortho Tri-cyclen 21 for a month and a week. It does not make me moody or depressed and nor did I gain weight. Those were my two biggest concerns before going on birth control. I am taking it for acne and so far it just tamed my big pimples but I still get small little bumps here and there. I spoke to my doctor and I was told I need to wait at least two months to see results in acne. It helped me incredibly in terms of period cramps, I used to faint often on the first day of my period throwing up and diarrhea. But now none of that thanks to Tri-cyclen :) strongly recommend! beware makes boobs a little sore, not too much."

------ms-------- April 16, 2015

"This is my second time starting Ortho Tri-cyclen Lo. This birth control is pretty much the only thing that works for my adult moderate/severe acne. The first time I took it after about 3 months my skin was vastly improved and after 6 months my skin was completely clear. Then after 12 months my pharmacist put me on the generic (Tricira Lo) which is a bad idea. My skin freaked out with cysts all over my chin and near my nose area. I'm on my second month of tri-cyclen and am waiting for my skin to clear up again :("

Anonymous April 6, 2015

"So my acne before was mild but I was told it would start clearing my acne in the third month. I am finishing my third month and my skin is much much worse than it was. I am left with red markings/scars everywhere all over my face and I am at my wits end. I am torn between continuing or giving up,"

olivia1234323 August 25, 2014

"I recently got married so my husband and I started discussing different birth control methods and decided on the pill. I have suffered from acne since I was 13 and when I found Ortho Tri-Cyclen, approved to treat acne, I thought it would be a good pill for me to try. My experience on Ortho so far has been positive. I have been on the pill for three months (my third pack) and have had no negative side effects. I have been happier, haven't gained any noticeable weight, no mood swings, way lighter/shorter periods, no pregnancy, and larger breast. I'm a bit disappointed because my acne has only slightly improved but hasn't worsened. Maybe if I remain on the pill longer my acne will completely disappear. Overall I'm happy and will remain on Ortho Tri Cyclen."

SnoopsMom2914 May 1, 2014

"I have had acne since I was 12 (I'm 21 now) and this did not clear me up completely but my acne is definitely better, they aren't as big, or painful, less cystic acne. The first week it I was very emotional and nauseous but when it passed everything was fine. I also did not gain weight nor did my hair get thinner, or I don't notice because I have naturally thick, curly hair. I do recommend Ortho Tri Cyclen."

saymm April 12, 2014

"I was prescribed this birth control because I have moderate to severe acne. I doubted this birth control was strong enough to battle it because I have tried everything non-prescription in the pharmacy to treat it over 4 years. I noticed it reduced my oil production on my face but really did nothing overall for my acne in the first 6 months. Then slowly my acne started to disappear. I didn't even notice it was vanishing until 8 months in. Then I stopped using harsh chemicals to help get rid of them. After that I had tons of blazing red acne scars and redness galore. Now as I'm 12 months in the redness is reducing and the acne scars are starting to fade. I recommend this if you want a birth control pill acne solver 2 in 1, and are willing to wait for results."

Happy Bunny October 3, 2013