User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 546 reviews 7.0

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "The depo is different for everyone which I have found out. The only reason I got the depo is because it was highly recommended by people who have not experienced periods while on it, did not get a period in the first month but the second month was bleeding for a full 2 months and that's been my routine ever since will not be getting the 6th shot, I have spoke to a nurse and both doctor about this and it is considered normal as you need at least 3 in your system to get used to them but I am on the 6th and no change, would not recommend"

Ell1996 August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "One thing for sure. It definitely prevents pregnancy because you can't have sex due to the fact you're constantly bleeding. I got my second shot on July 10th and I have been bleeding ever since with occasional clots and it's almost the end of August. It's very frustrating and annoying. I definitely will not be getting the third shot! And the medical facilities that provide the shot have no clue. #neveragain"

LadyTee76 August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on the depo shot for about a year. I loved it. I had no periods at all for the year. I decided to try to conceive so I stopped getting the shot. The month after I was due for my shot I got my period again. Two weeks later and I'm still bleeding. I had very normal periods before the shot, always 4-7 days, on time every month. I'm nervous about my fertility and the constant two weeks of bleeding. I just hope it ends soon. I'm giving the shot an 8/10 because I had no side effects or periods on the shot and I didn't get pregnant. So I guess the birth control did it's job."

DTaylo August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the shot in June, it was great in the beginning! I didn't have a period the first month, the 2nd month came around and I got my period! & now its been a month and I am still bleeding!! I will never again get this shot! I have severe cramps. long lasting headaches. For any woman looking to get on birth control, I DO NOT recommend the Depo!!!!!"

TexasMoM254 August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the shot on July 2nd. The day I got the shot I had experienced sharp cramps in my stomach! Not even a week later I started bleeding, not like my normal light bleeding. This lasted for over a month! I stopped the heavy bleeding on August 15th!!! And now, I am still bleeding, just not as bad. This is like a brown slime. Its nasty as heck! This is the first and last time I will ever get that shot! Its ruining my attitude, I am never hungry, and I am dropping weight like no other! Not to mention my sex life!! I am going in on September 4th to talk to my doctor about trying something else and to see how we can stop the bleeding once and for all!!"

Missy0315 August 22, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Had I seen this blog years ago I would have given the depo shot a 10+ rating. I loved it! I tried a few other BC methods prior to getting depo years ago and didn't care for any of them. Finally when I first found depo I loved it. No periods, no side effects. Everything was great. I too a break from depo for about 3 months and then when I got my first injection again (about 1 and a half months ago) everything went down hill. I got it while I was on my period and then 3 days later I stopped bleeding then about 2 weeks after I started spotting which lasted a week, now it's been almost 3 and a half weeks and I'm still bleeding I'm constantly tired because of the lack of iron from bleeding for so long. I won't be getting the second injection!"

Stephaniemarie94 August 22, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I loved the depo shot. I was on it for just under two years, and had no problems. I used this as my only form of protection since I am in a committed relationship. My only slight issue is that I gained alot of weight (about 70 pounds). My doctor believes this is due to the stress of a new job, a promotion, And some life changes, not the depo. I quit the shot in order to confirm, it's been almost three months and I'm still gaining weight, so maybe the doctor was right. I had no other side affects, And no period, from the day I started. I haven't gotten my period back in the last three months. I plan to go back on the shot very soon. It's the most convenient by far, And despite the horror stories, I've never had a problem."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years) August 20, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I had regular periods until suddenly in June 2015 my period started and didn't end. In July I went to my "trusted" family doctor and he assured me that the depo would stop the bleeding. When the nurse was about to administer the shot she warned me and said you should get a second opinion. I was so desperate and I trusted my family doctor so I decided the get the shot anyway. Not only has the bleeding not stopped, its worsened. It is so bad that when I step out of the shower I have to use it tissue so it doesn't drip on the floor. I have been bleeding for 3 months. I finally went to my gyno and he said I should never have gotten it in the first place and there is nothing he can do. I need to let it bleed out. Never again. "

Sara. S August 19, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Its a great contraceptive, I cant possibly get pregnant Why? Because I've had my period for 6 weeks!This is seriously the worst thing I've ever had."

Rachaeld (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 19, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Depo was not for me, but that does not mean it won't work for you! It definitely did its job preventing pregnancy. I was told the shot lasted 3 months. After my three months, I didn't go back to get another shot because my husband and I wanted to have a baby. It didn't happen for over a year AFTER those three months passed. We had another child, so it wasn't because I'm not fertile. I was also suicidal after getting depo. Not your average depressed, but actually suicidal and so crazy depressed that I wanted to die and had no clue why. I lost a lot of hair when I would brush it. I didn't gain weight. My worst side effect was the depression. It was unbearable to the point that I almost took my own life.. But it surely can prevent pregnancy."

Maryelyse93 August 17, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've been on this medicine for 2 years now and have not had any negative side effects. For those of you reading this you shouldn't let somebody else's review determine what her or not you take this medicine, that should be decided after a long talk between you and your doctor. Every body's body is different so these reviews can not give a completely accurate description of what's going to happen to your body. I'm my experience I had irregular bleeding for about 4 months but that is the time it took my body to adjust to the medication. If you have irregular or constant bleeding for more than six months, which is two cycles of the medication then you may want to talk to your doctor because the medication might not be the right one for you."

AshleyMay August 15, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I have had no negative side effects wit this birth control. I have tried about ten different kinds of birth control pills before trying Depo and all of the pills made me an emotional mess. I have no complaints about Depo, I didn't gain weight, no periods, no crazy emotions."

Anonymous August 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I didn't get pregnant, which is the only reason I'm rating this a 2. I have been bleeding for 56 days straight as of today. Since I got the shot, I have experienced severe fatigue, 1-3 hour long headaches, appetite issues, inability to get out of bed, and horrible cystic acne."

locogracie (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "I have been on the shot for almost two months and I absolutely hate it. When I got the shot I was actually due for my period and never got it. I ended up getting my period about 2 weeks ago and have not stopped bleeding. I can not have sex, I can't wear white pants because it's so heavy, I can't go to the bathroom ( number 1 or number 2) because it hurts so bad, I have had horrible cramps, I don't sleep, I'm exhausted all the time, and I am constantly feeling grumpy. At this point I almost feel like nothing is going to help my endometeriosis, I'm 22 years old and due to be married in a month and I can't even have sex because it hurts so bad.... I would not recamend this shot, it's a waste of time and causes false hope."

Allishaew August 13, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for : "I have liked depo, but today I started bleeding for the first time in a while, I was told I probably would bleed after my second shot (1/2 through my 3rd). I came here to see if this was common. I have gained 18 lbs while on depo (I was underweight so this is good, but 18 lbs???). They said my appetite would increase but my metabolism seems to have gone down as well. This shot makes you gain weight besides the additional eating, trust me. I retain weight much easier which is a con if I were to take this after being pregnant!!! I had terrible acne as well for about a month after I initially took this as well. Overall I like it but wouldn't recommend it to a woman that just had a baby. Vasagel will be out soon and we'll go that route"

Shniddley August 11, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Ive been on the shot for about a year now and i absolutely hate it!!!! Ive gained so much weight and were talking like 40 lbs. Its like i cant stop eating. My cravings are absolutely horrible. Im always hungry. I work out here and there but i cant seem to lose the weight. Im 17 years old. This birth control method is not something i would suggest to anyone except for the fact that it is very effective against pregnancy"

Anonymous August 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "So I've been going back and forth between Sprintec and Depo for the last year. I was on Sprintec from the age of 16 because of horrible cramping. I loved the pill but could never remember to take it so I was on my period all of the time. I tried depo, I don't really remember the first time taking it except for having some vaginal dryness and I lost my boobs (at 20 years old not the most exciting combination). So I got back on the pill, same issues of forgetting to take it and went back to depo for some reason I can't explain to myself. It was a horrible decision. My mood swings are ridiculous, my anger is out of control, I'm constantly bloated, I've become very constipated, spotting comes out of no where, and I'm constantly exhausted."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) August 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been on the depo two times now. The first time started in 2012 and I took it for 2 years. I had no problems at all with it. Then in February 2015 I decided to get back on it and the first shot went good until towards the end of it and I started spotting. Didn't think to much of it since I had been off it for a few months I thought it was just normal. Got my second shot in may. It has been a terrible experience. I've bled literally the whole 3 months. Me and my boyfriend can't have sex because that just makes it worse. My sex drive has plummeted. I'm due for another shot sometime this month. Not gonna get it. I actually have a dr. Appt tomorrow regarding the bleeding. I Don't recommend! No one should have to go thru this!"

morganlynn33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I have used many types of birth controls from the patch, the pill, the ring, and now the shot. I would always forget to take my pill so I decided to make the switch to depo. Although I love that I never have to think about taking my birth control, the depo shot makes me spot, a lot. To me it's not worth it. I always spotting and have ruined countless underwear. I knew there would be some spotting but the spotting has not stopped. I would rather take the pill and have a regular period than have to spot every day."

The shot (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This was awful! I got my first shot at UVA two days after my first baby was born. They pushed it in me and didn't mention any side effects. Stopped bleeding (from giving birth) three weeks later. After about a week it started again and hasn't stopped. I got a second shot because they told me that can happen from my body getting used to the hormones. But I never went back for my third. Over six months later, I'm still bleeding, almost a month after I should've gone in for a third shot. I don't know what to do. It's exhausting. I'm constantly tired, moody and depressed and I want to eat everything in sight! I wouldn't recommend this method of birth control for anyone!"

Bab774332 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2015

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "First time I took Provera it worked great for 3-4 years and made me regular. I had gone to the ER for heavy bleeding and clotting. 2nd time I went to the ER was earlier this year (2015) for same reason. Provera slowed it down, passed clots and then I spotted here and there. Just recently, mid July, I started having heavy bleeding again and the docs couldn't give me answers as to why but put me on Provera again. Didn't do anything this time. It slowed it down on Day1-Day3 on it and then after and especially when I finished Provera I was bleeding very heavily. The doc said that's to be expected and have to wait it out, and just wait for my ultrasound. I'm so sick of all this bleeding and even more so not getting any answers/treatment."

Tanm_07 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I took depo in January while I was on my period. After my period stopped like a few days laterIi started spotting and it never stopped. I told the doctor but they insisted that it was a good method so I took it again and scheduled the next shot. The spotting never stopped, I had a terrible appetite, my moods were changing like. I never went back to get the third shot. I regret ever taking depo. I feel like I'm never going to have my regular menstrual cycle or have the sex I had before or stop using pantie liners. This is very frustrating."

Ara5 August 8, 2015

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: "I'm 41 and was prescribed provera because on August 23 of this month will be 3 months I haven't had my period! I have been reading about it like crazy! My test results came back normal! Can someone tell me that after the 10th day on the pill I will get my period! I have severe headaches and bloating!"

Michellevirgo August 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I found this site and comments of great interest. My daughter had a shot earlier this year and complained of continuous bleeding (not spotting) feeling bloated, nausea, headaches, cramps and very depressed and emotional. She went other doctor who has put her on antidepressants and pills to supposedly stop the bleeding a week on still bleeding. My daughter is 24 and has changed from a lovely bubbly happy person into an ill zombie who sits on the sofa all day fatigued and in pain. I certainly intend to seek legal advice."

Rachelle Oladejo August 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I have had 2 injections and am discontinuing the drug after 6 months. In my opinion it is just not worth it. I experienced extreme nausea for 2 or 3 days within the first 3 months of getting the injection. My periods came early and lasted 2 week. I had many anxiety episodes and mood swings. Nearing the time of my second injection I experienced extremely heavy bleeding for 5 days, (I'm talking new super tampons every 2 hours with a regular pad for inevitable leaks) and even fainted during this time. 6 months later and most of my symptoms have gone, but I've had my period since my second injection over 3 months ago. At least it has been effective in preventing pregnancy; the combination of these symptoms leave me with no desire for sex!"

LNM August 6, 2015