User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 28 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 71 reviews 177 medications

6.2
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 354 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by mzdavis:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received the shot on Nov 22, after having my daughter. It is now Jan 24, and I have been bleeding on and off since receiving the shot.

January 24, 2015 8:27 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: It's very effective, I give it that. I didn't get pregnant. I've been on this birth control for 6 months and I've gained 40lbs. Yes.. 40!!! I ate healthy and exercised everyday. I DO NOT RECOMMEND if you want to keep you figure or plan to lose weight.

January 7, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by j_la_:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot for about a year and 6 months and am: a). Still having my period irregularly and it will last about 2-3 weeks b). Am on my period now and have been on it so far for 6 weeks

January 6, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by 12356:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got my first Depo shot November 19th. Since then I only had minor spotting and cramps, no mood swings or major weight gain if anything my weight is far more stable and satisfactory. Although on the 2nd of January I began my normal period again and hoping it will end on the 6th. Definitely would recommend.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 4, 2015 8:59 PM

Review by Violinent (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Everyone I talk to seems to have had different experiences with Depo. For me it has been a perfect experience, but my sister had a horrible time with it. I had very light spotting after the first shot during what should have been my monthly period, and since then have had absolutely no period or spotting. My weight has remained at a constant level the entire 4 years that I've been taking it, and I haven't experience moods swings, hair loss, or any of the other common symptoms. My doctor warned me that the shot could make my migraines worse, but I haven't noticed any difference in prevalence or severity. Everyone's body reacts differently, but it is definitely worth trying. I love this form of contraception - no periods and no babies!

January 2, 2015 12:14 PM

Review by lorissa:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got one shot, September 2013. its now almost January 2014 and I haven't stopped bleeding in over a year!

December 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Tia.123:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Depo as a birth control I guess it worked, everything else just went wrong! I only had one shot and dont think I will ever go back. Within two weeks of getting the injection I got really bad headache, depressed, abdominal cramps, flash bleeding vomiting , unstable gate , memory loss, my face broke out, lost a bunch of weight, optic nerve damage, I went into svt and the list goes on. My whole life turned upside down. So yes it may work for some people with no side effects but it has damaged my life

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by youngna (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been receiving the Depo shot since July 2013. This has been my first and only birth control I've taken and a huge benefit is that I am not worrying about taking a pill. However, for the past 6 months I have experienced spotting. It is not enough blood to need to wear a tampon, however it is very dark blood which stains underwear. This has been extremely frustrating to me and I am now trying to decide what will be my next best option of birth control will be.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 24, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Lacey92:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm due for my second shot next week. I'm very torn about getting it. When I got the shot, I didn't have any side effects. (at first) Every month since the shot I bleed for about 3 weeks straight. It really bothers me. One of the main reasons I got on it was to try to help my periods. Just makes them worse!

December 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by lnzlue:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got my shot in the middle of October and I don't like it. I'm not pregnant but that may be because my sex drive is completely nonexistent. I can't lose much weight even though I am breastfeeding and following Weight Watchers. I have random bleeding and my vagina is incredibly dry. Not renewing my shot next month.

December 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sharni:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've just gotten the second shot today, and I must say I love it, haven't had my period had the tiniest bit of spotting I still get cramps when I'm due for my period but nothing else. I have also not gotten pregnant at all. Probably the best decision I ever made.

December 18, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Ilovedepo:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I LOVE Depo! Been on it for about 2 1/2 years, only side effects are some weight gain (5-10 pounds) and minor cramping once a month maybe. I used to have TERRIBLE periods, ever since my first shot I haven't had a single period or spotting. It's nice only having to go in once every 3 months. Definitely 10/10!

December 14, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by breebug001:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received my first dose of the shot in the beginning of May, and I have been constantly bleeding every since! I was told at after my 3rd shot the bleeding would stop, but it hasn't. I'm considering switching to the pill at the end of this month. I cannot take this bleeding anymore.

64 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by Ms.T.:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've been on the shot for 7 years, no cycle, no other children and no weight gain. The only side effects that I think I'm having now is low sex drive because I can't get into sex like I used too. I don't like taking pills and forget to with vitamins so I know they wouldn't be a good idea. But I do think being on the shot for so long actually messed with the hormones because my face tends to break out every other week but other than that I love it but its time to get off!

December 5, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by tnk092012:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got this shot a few weeks ago and my side effects are already horrible. I had anxiety before but now it's so much worse. My mood swings are unreal and my breasts have been so tender to the point where I can't touch them at all and they've grown a ton. Not to mention the few pounds I've already put on in the short time. I will never take the shot again. I don't recommend this form at all. Once you get the shot, not matter how miserable the effects are you can't do anything about it. Going back onto the pill once this wears off.

November 30, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by al400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Hi I've been on the shot since the beginning of May. I've been bleeding constantly for 7 months with very frequent headaches. I almost thought I was anemic at one point due to the shot. However it was very effective in preventing pregnancy, but definitely not worth all the other symptoms.

November 30, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by Shay_Shmow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I LOVE Depo-Provera! Only 1 shot every 3 months. Unlike the stupid pill which I keep forgetting to take. Weight gain is the only negative thing for me, which I don't really care for. No mood swings, no period. So I'm super happy with my shot yay!

November 22, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by vancesmom:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I first tried the shot a few years ago. I only got one shot. For the very first time it lasted three months so did my period so I stopped. I now have a son and I went back to the Depo shot and my body has seemed to work with it now .. I talked with my doctor and she said that very common and to just go through with the 2nd and 3rd shot. Now I have no period and I don't have to remember to take a pill ... please give it another try

November 17, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by liza342524645676:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Two years on depo... I have been combatting depression, fatigue, and vaginal dryness since my third shot hoping that I could overcome them or being in denial that is was from the shot, but it's definitely a side effect of the birth control. Though the shot is convenient, with no periods and strong hair and nails, I totally feel like I've been through menopause and am an old lady with NO sex drive. Switching to the patch in December, wish me luck.

November 17, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Elaine Carter:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot since January and today is my 1st time bleeding. I've been on and off of it for over 14 years and have never had bleeding while on. After getting off at times I've had constant abnormal bleeding until period regulated again.

November 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm 18 going to be 19 soon. I had really heavy periods for 8 days straight and my period would come a week early. It was regular just less than a month until each one and I also had really bad cramps to the point where I couldn't move. The pill was my first option and it made me bleed for 3 months straight. A while later I was considering birth control and I finally chose the Depo-Provera, it was the perfect choice for me. Once I got the shot I never got a period/any bleeding again. I personally didn't gain any weight. All the side effects didn't bother me. And works well against pregnancy. I've saw a lot of bad reviews but mine was perfect so everyone's body is different. I would recommend talking to your doctor. He/she will know what's best.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 11:00 AM

Review by Lea31:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: I have been on it now for 10 yrs & love it. Before I would be in bed for weeks with bad cramps, it was destroying my life. I get little cramping well the shot is due but I can live with that.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by Lee121212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I thought the shot would be easy due to the fact of taking it every three months compared to the pill taking it everyday, but the shot does not work for my body! I have been bleeding for over a month now. I am going back to the pill.

66 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by nene91:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had a miscarriage August 2014 and September 2014 I had got on the shot to help with my periods but its not working. I started my period October 20th 2014 and still bleeding heavy November 5. I have headaches and the cramps are crazy never cramp or bleed this much.

November 5, 2014 3:48 PM