User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 29 reviews 27 medications

Birth Control 237 reviews 235 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 83 reviews 177 medications

Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 378 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by Nicolee:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've been on the Depo-Provera shot for over 8 months now, I received my first shortly after I had my son, I was breastfeeding so this was my only option. The only pros for me are its convenient, I'm a nurse and I just pick it up from pharmacy and inject myself or a friend from work does it for me then I'm good for three months, no remembering to take a pill. Cons have been constant bleeding on and off, longest being over 3 weeks straight. I have gained back all the weight that I did lose from having my baby and am now stuck at the same weight I was at 9 months pregnant, it's awful and embarrassing, I am constantly hungry like constantly and I crave sweets and chocolate more than anything. I also am sweating like crazy all the time.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 14, 2015 5:29 PM

Review by meme4567890:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This shot has saved my life. I was very hormonal with terrible painful PMS. This shot helped with all of my symptoms..including my constant back pain. I don't really think the weight gain is a big issue because I know I gained 5 pounds around my period anyways. I have energy to do more important things now and it has helped my depression significantly. It may not be for everyone but it definitely is helping me tremendously.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 8:11 PM

Review by Lushes:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got this shot in January after having my son ever since then I haven't stopped bleeding I'm certainly thinking of taking the pill better I guess my body isn't working with this shot. But it is very effective!

April 2, 2015 2:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I have only been on the shot for 4 weeks. few side effects, Slight mood change, and tingling/ numbness in fingers and feet. Doctor said it was normal, give it a try.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 26, 2015 1:58 PM

Review by User since 2010:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I have been on this shot for 5 years, almost 6 now. I had had no serious problems. I gained about 40 pounds and I am having trouble losing it, but that is it. When I first got on this I actually lost weight & was the smallest I'd ever been, but I decided to try to switch to the pill (hated it) & then got back on Depo, which is when the weight gain happened. I had major mood swings but am now on another medication to help control that. It definitely works and love not having a period! Just hate the weight gain. This is definitely a birth control I would recommend.

March 26, 2015 12:52 PM

Review by lol pollo:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: This shot took me from 0-10 in seconds. My emotions were all over the place. I cried all the time was just going crazy from hormones. I then became severely anemic due to bleeding the entire time on the shot. So tired muscle cramps and out of breath. I took it due to the fact I was Breast feeding.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 20, 2015 9:10 AM

Review by Leela1234:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the shot since December 4th 2014, have had a period from January 9th 2015 to the present.

March 16, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by Paiksmedics:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had abnormal bleeding after getting double dose that was a month before next dose

March 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Review by jayohwhy (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've been on the shot for 2 years, I've experienced no weight gain or any of the other common side affects. I have not had a single period and only spotted one time. I started the shot when I was 16, and now that I am 18, I want to change methods because it is recommended to not be on the shot for over 2 years because it can lead to osteoporosis. I have tried other methods before, such as the patch and the ring. But the shot was my favorite of them all. If I didn't have to switch methods, I would definitely stay on the shot.

March 13, 2015 1:53 PM

Review by HighBloodPressure166 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 21 years old was placed on this medicine for having high blood pressure and it being an estrogen free birth control. I was terrified or weight gain, spotting, and mood swings, all of which this shot is rumored to do. I have experience absolutely no bleeding since my first shot, got the second shot today and no weight gain (I do exercise daily). I have been somewhat emotional around the time of my normal period, but no more then usual. Overall I love the shot and having no period is a plus all around!

March 11, 2015 1:46 PM

Review by DreaJ:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on Depo Provera since Dec. 6, 2015. Started bleeding January 6 2015 and it hasn't stopped since then! I had my second injection last Saturday and I'm hoping that the bleeding will stop. Its effective in preventing pregnancy but Its greatly affecting my sex life.

68 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 2:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I love how all of you say that you can't lose weight on Depo. I gained about 15 pounds, started dieting and exercising, and now I have lost all of that weight and more! Yes I have some spotting, but its better than having to take a pill everyday!

March 1, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by MeshaeJ:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I am a user of the birth control shot and I honestly love the fact that I do not have to worry about taking the pill. I just go to the doc every three months to renew my shot. But the only thing I hate is the bleeding for long periods. I have been on theshot for almost a year and a half. I remember the first three months, I experienced excruciating pain one day in my stomach, it felt so bad. I was in class and I had to run to the bathroom. When I was sitting on the toilet, this HUGE blood clot came out. It was almost the size of a tennis ball. Afterwards, my cramping stopped.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2015 10:49 AM

Review by baltimore. mamaj:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: It is effective. However the weight gain of 30 lbs now I need to lose 60lbs. The headaches dizziness and tiredness. Feeling hungry constantly and occasional numbness in my hands and feet. I am thinking of trying Implanon but the reviews don't look so great. Would prefer getting my tubes tied as we have a nice size family. I have been on it 13 months since my youngest was born and I hate that I eat and feel pregnant even though I am not.

February 27, 2015 3:52 PM

Review by Reynaaalee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got the Depo shot in October 2014. It is now February 2015 and I have been either spotting or full on bleeding since then. I can't have sex because I start to bleed as if my period just started. I've been on and off the Depo for 4 years and this is the first time I've had a bad experience with it. I also gained 25 pounds since October, but I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly.

67 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2015 7:13 AM

Review by Lacey11091992:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been taking this shot since October. I've been bleeding non stop since December. It went from a 2 weeks period, to a 2 month period. I've taken Meds to help & nothing! This horrible. It's like I'm on the shot for no reason.

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 3:48 PM

Review by K1991:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: I was pretty terrified to try it out hearing & seeing all these bad reviews. I got my first shot in November, around the time my period was ending. So far, that was my last period. The first month, I did get a little bit of cramping which I usually don't get. I haven't had any cramping since then. & also by the time I was due for my second period, I spotted instead for maybe 10 days (my periods usually last 5-7 days) & it seemed like it was more like discharge than it did spotting. Again, that's been it, no more periods so far nor spotting. As for gain weight, I may have gained a few pounds, honestly not sure. I never step on a scale. But nothing drastic. I just recently got my second Depo on February 12th, we'll see if all goes well.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 14, 2015 2:07 PM

Review by Depo user:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the Depo for 13 yrs and it has been great no periods not even spotting but I did however gain a lot of weight and I have experienced headaches but I just stopped because I have been on it to long, it will cause bone loss I probably experienced a lot of the side effects but nothing worse then bleeding and cramping for months at a time I would have definitely go back to it if I could.

February 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Bec22 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Have been on Depo-Provera almost 3 years since being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis as it is the only contraceptive my consultant could recommend that doesn't allow ovulation. I can honestly say I find no faults with this contraceptive! I get it every 10 weeks as apposed to every 12 weeks to keep it built up and not allow bleeding, I was on the pill version before and it didn't agree with me but the injection has worked wonders! No pain, nausea, anemia or bleeding! My life has changed because of this medication, I would honestly seek professional advice if you found this didn't work for you as it may just be a case of dosage or time span.

January 30, 2015 9:12 AM

Review by No kids (taken for 10 years or more):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I have been on Depo for 16 years. It's effective! No kids! I started seeing side effects around year 6 which included a little facial hair. Around year 19 I gained about 25 pounds (I went from 120 to about 145) it's still so worth it. No periods and no cramps after year 1! I take calcium supplements and I lift heavy weights so along with getting bone density test-so far so good.

January 26, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by Kessma (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I was on Depo-Provera for a few years with one break to try the Nuvaring just because of the bone density loss warnings. I had no weight gain or bleeding or hormone swings, just some occasional crazy night sweats. Then I had my first baby in May 2014 and started Depo in June. It has not been the same experience. My bleeding is irregular and lasts 3 days to 4 weeks and this month has hit me every other week. It is January 2015, and I quit. It just isn't working for me this time around.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 25, 2015 6:14 PM

Review by mzdavis:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received the shot on Nov 22, after having my daughter. It is now Jan 24, and I have been bleeding on and off since receiving the shot.

83 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 24, 2015 8:27 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Megan3212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got on the Depo-Provera shot at age 15 and just got off of it at age 20, and I am now on Seasonique (the pill). I didn't realize how awesome Depo was until I switched. Having no periods for 5 years was definitely great, I didn't gain any weight from the Depo even though it made me eat like I was pregnant with triplets for 5 years. There was minimal spotting which I would take over periods any day. I got moody when I started getting close to my next shot due date but that's about it. I would definitely recommend this birth control!

January 14, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by jezlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 28 yrs old, I have been on the Depo shot for 3 months now to regulate my periods, my first 2 months I didn't get my period at all, no side affects except a headache for the first week. Now into my 3rd month and I have had my period for going on 3 weeks straight and its really stressing me out, I have been irritable these past week, major mood swings and lost my sex drive. And no changes in my weight, but pretty sure I will not continue this method of birth control.

January 13, 2015 4:24 PM