User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 28 reviews 27 medications

6.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 64 reviews 177 medications

6.2
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 332 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by liza342524645676:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Two years on depo... I have been combatting depression, fatigue, and vaginal dryness since my third shot hoping that I could overcome them or being in denial that is was from the shot, but it's definitely a side effect of the birth control. Though the shot is convenient, with no periods and strong hair and nails, I totally feel like I've been through menopause and am an old lady with NO sex drive. Switching to the patch in December, wish me luck.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Elaine Carter:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot since January and today is my 1st time bleeding. I've been on and off of it for over 14 years and have never had bleeding while on. After getting off at times I've had constant abnormal bleeding until period regulated again.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Lee121212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I thought the shot would be easy due to the fact of taking it every three months compared to the pill taking it everyday, but the shot does not work for my body! I have been bleeding for over a month now. I am going back to the pill.

November 5, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by nene91:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had a miscarriage August 2014 and September 2014 I had got on the shot to help with my periods but its not working. I started my period October 20th 2014 and still bleeding heavy November 5. I have headaches and the cramps are crazy never cramp or bleed this much.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Anna Dobson (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Didn't get pregnant, but how could I when I bled for 3 months straight! And gained weight..

October 28, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by Cv73:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been using the Depo for 2 1/2 years now. I noticed during the first year I would spot lightly when I usually got my period and my cramps went away. After the first year my period pretty much went away for the most part. However, when I do occasionally get spotting, it lasts for about 2 weeks and it comes at random times. In the past year I can recall it happening three times. For me it still beats getting reglar periods and it has taken away my horrible cramps so I deal with it. The pill always made me sick no matter what brand I tried so that is another plus with the Depo. But everyone is different and everyone will react differently.

October 27, 2014 10:21 PM

Review by Samantha3580:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I was on the Depo-Provera for 5 years. It worked amazing for me. Never got my period after the third shot, and never got pregnant. What I didn't love was that I got all the bad side effects that came along with it. But don't think this is a bad birth control because I got every side effect that came with it I was just unlucky my body is different then other peoples. My friend got no side effects on this birth control. Just note that this is a short term birth control tho. I think I was on it for too many years. I'm on something different now. I would recommend this birth control

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 18, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: When I first got the shot I skipped my first period and then had really light periods after that for a few months. Then my period started occurring more often. About 2 weeks of bleeding then 1 week off then bleed for 1 week then 1 week off or less then bleed for 2 weeks. Really weird! That occurred for a couple months. Then I started bleeding non stop for awhile. It was really light but who likes bleeding all the time. Finally at about 1 year of sticking it out. I now am back to skipping the first period after getting the shot and sometimes skip the second or sometimes light spotting. I do bleed a little heavier just before my next shot is due. Makes me think it's wearing of too soon. Had no other side effects though.

October 6, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by Raven2010:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My shot ended in August and since then I have been constantly bleeding. I went in and saw a doctor about this issue and they told me to take 3 pain relievers 4 times a day to stop the bleeding. I have tried that and I am still bleeding. I will never get on this shot again. I have been on this shot before and never had issues like this.

October 4, 2014 9:12 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I started my shot around June of this year and since then I have not stopped bleeding. My doctor is prescribing Nuvaring to put on top of my shot to see if it will stop the bleeding. I will definitely post my results.

September 29, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by Sadie Bady:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm 15 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school. I started taking the Depo-Provera shot around my freshman year. It actually hasn't given me any bad side effects beside loss of hair, I haven't lost a lot a hair, and mood swings. My freshman year I weighed 155 and now I weigh 119. I'm 5'3 and haven't gained a pound from this shot yet. I hate shots but it's definitely worth taking for having no period. I haven't experienced depression or any of the other side effects except the ones listed above. But not everyone is the same. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it before jumping into taking it!

September 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by key25watkins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm approaching the third calendar shot for me and now that I have began to bleed unexpectedly, I've taken the time to evaluate myself. Since beginning the Depo-Provera in February I've noticed a series of uncontrollable headaches as well as a spike in my blood pressure. I was administered a better dosage of hydrochlorothiazide to reduce the effects of this blood pressure spike but immediately proceeding my dosage I started experiencing this unexpected bleeding. Taken a back by such abrupt change this makes me reflect on the changes my body has experienced throughout the short course being administered Depo. I had even began to experience anxiety here and there, not to mention fatigue. Later came the abdominal cramps and pains with vaginal adverse side effect.

September 23, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Pip Nos (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This shot has caused me so many issues. I got it only once. Before the shot, I had abnormally heavy periods that lasted 6 days, and to be honest I'd rather go back to that. My body has had so many issues. The first month, things were fine. The only issues I had within the first month was headaches and nausea (the nausea got EXTREMELY severe at times, I actually had to grip onto my boyfriend just to get stable or lie on the floor). Then came the second month, EXCESSIVE SPOTTING. I also got major depression and hated everyone. I am currently on my third month of the shot and I am still spotting heavily, and sometimes bleeding. Due to the shot, I am now anemic and facing heading to the ER, but I can't because I do not have insurance.

September 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Jordan111:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Honestly the best birth control i've been on. I had to switch from the pill to the shot due to medications I am on and I have had no problems with this birth control. Of course I gained a couple pounds but thats just a given. I gained maybe five pounds so nothing drastic. Will continue to use!

September 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by heather red:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I liked this medication when I first got it but after awhile I started to get migraines, dizziness, hot flashes, weight gain, heavy bleeding and severe depression.

September 19, 2014 8:01 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got Depo-Provera on June 10 at the hospital after giving birth to my daughter. Today is September 15 and I have not stopped bleeding at all! I also have two friends who have the same problem. This shot is terrible!

September 14, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I'm writing this review to offer some hope- when I first got the shot, I read all these reviews and it freaked me out. Luckily I had none of the mood swing or depression side effects, but definitely still got the cramping and bleeding. After my first shot, I didn't bleed at all for about 2 weeks, until my regular cycle was due. Started with spotting and then bled regularly for the next 10 weeks. I read some other reviews from people saying they stopped bleeding after the second shot and, lo and behold, one week after my second shot and I stopped bleeding completely. I know I felt like I was going to bleed forever so hopefully this'll offer some hope to newcomers of the shot. Especially when they say something like 70% of women stop immediately

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by Zamora Ivy:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on Depo for 1 year and 5 months and first my periods would last 2 weeks 3 days instead of 5-7 days. After my 3rd shot I had no more periods but lately my last 2 shots I've been spotting due to getting my shots at the 12th week instead of 10-11 week. I've had no complications inspite the 20-25 lbs gain weight from the shot. This September I'm due for another but have decided with my fiance to put a hold on the shots. Just remember ladies everyone's body is different so what may work out for me won't on others if one birth control doesn't cut it for you try another the one that suits you best. Good luck.

September 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by 9r9:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Very effective but bad side effects. I'm 17 and I've had two doses of it but I won't be continuing it. I have gained weight that is IMPOSSIBLE to lose, I get head rushes and I feel dizzy almost every time I stand up and lots of cramping. I stopped getting my period but one every month-two months I have a few drops of blood but that's it. I'm not happy with the shot but it was effective.

September 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I took provera for 7 days for abnormal uterine bleeding it only made the bleeding worse with more clots and gave me the worse headaches ever

September 6, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by Becca1248:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I started the shot when I was 17 about to be 18. I am now 20 about to be 21. Very effective at preventing pregnancy. However, I have terrible mood swings, migraines, and weight gain. When I started taking Depo I was the healthiest I have ever been. Slowly but surely I put on the pounds and my depression became unbearable! The first year I didn't gain much, maybe ten pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 6. I weighed 135, now I weigh about 170. It's horrendous! I just switched birth control yesterday, so I hope it treats me better than Depo Provera!

August 29, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Jenniw:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had the shot once, no bleeding the first two months then the third month a four week long period. Didn't go back (due for another shot May third) and I've pretty much been bleeding/spotting the whole time. April-September and still going strong.

August 22, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Laysha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot since April now that I have my second shot. I spotted blood a few times but now there's constant bleeding.

August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm 32 yrs old. I went on Depo-Provera for 3 months and it was horrible. I constantly felt like I was running a fever and sweating like crazy. I had horrible PMS but no period. The only good thing about it was the convenience.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I started this birth control at 145lbs 5'3 so I was already a little heavy but I was working out and eating healthy to keep losing weight. The first shot seemed fine. By the second shot, I gained 5lbs which I thought was odd but the doctor said it was normal. I then started becoming very depressed and spent most of my days sleeping or in bed. I gained another 10 lbs. when it was time for the third shot. The 3rd shot made me gain 25 more lbs where I was at 185. I always ate relatively healthy and went to the gym. And I decided to not take the 4th shot. And it's been about a month past when I was supposed to take the 4th shot and I'm finally starting to lose weight. I'm at 175 now and still have a long way to go.

August 13, 2014 3:14 PM