User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 28 reviews 27 medications

6.2
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 67 reviews 177 medications

6.1
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 342 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by lnzlue:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got my shot in the middle of October and I don't like it. I'm not pregnant but that may be because my sex drive is completely nonexistent. I can't lose much weight even though I am breastfeeding and following Weight Watchers. I have random bleeding and my vagina is incredibly dry. Not renewing my shot next month.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sharni:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've just gotten the second shot today, and I must say I love it, haven't had my period had the tiniest bit of spotting I still get cramps when I'm due for my period but nothing else. I have also not gotten pregnant at all. Probably the best decision I ever made.

December 18, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Ilovedepo:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I LOVE Depo! Been on it for about 2 1/2 years, only side effects are some weight gain (5-10 pounds) and minor cramping once a month maybe. I used to have TERRIBLE periods, ever since my first shot I haven't had a single period or spotting. It's nice only having to go in once every 3 months. Definitely 10/10!

December 14, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by breebug001:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received my first dose of the shot in the beginning of May, and I have been constantly bleeding every since! I was told at after my 3rd shot the bleeding would stop, but it hasn't. I'm considering switching to the pill at the end of this month. I cannot take this bleeding anymore.

December 6, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by tnk092012:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got this shot a few weeks ago and my side effects are already horrible. I had anxiety before but now it's so much worse. My mood swings are unreal and my breasts have been so tender to the point where I can't touch them at all and they've grown a ton. Not to mention the few pounds I've already put on in the short time. I will never take the shot again. I don't recommend this form at all. Once you get the shot, not matter how miserable the effects are you can't do anything about it. Going back onto the pill once this wears off.

November 30, 2014 11:31 PM

Review by al400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Hi I've been on the shot since the beginning of May. I've been bleeding constantly for 7 months with very frequent headaches. I almost thought I was anemic at one point due to the shot. However it was very effective in preventing pregnancy, but definitely not worth all the other symptoms.

November 30, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by Shay_Shmow (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I LOVE Depo-Provera! Only 1 shot every 3 months. Unlike the stupid pill which I keep forgetting to take. Weight gain is the only negative thing for me, which I don't really care for. No mood swings, no period. So I'm super happy with my shot yay!

November 22, 2014 7:48 PM

Review by vancesmom:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I first tried the shot a few years ago. I only got one shot. For the very first time it lasted three months so did my period so I stopped. I now have a son and I went back to the Depo shot and my body has seemed to work with it now .. I talked with my doctor and she said that very common and to just go through with the 2nd and 3rd shot. Now I have no period and I don't have to remember to take a pill ... please give it another try

November 17, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by liza342524645676:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Two years on depo... I have been combatting depression, fatigue, and vaginal dryness since my third shot hoping that I could overcome them or being in denial that is was from the shot, but it's definitely a side effect of the birth control. Though the shot is convenient, with no periods and strong hair and nails, I totally feel like I've been through menopause and am an old lady with NO sex drive. Switching to the patch in December, wish me luck.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 3:50 PM

Review by Elaine Carter:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot since January and today is my 1st time bleeding. I've been on and off of it for over 14 years and have never had bleeding while on. After getting off at times I've had constant abnormal bleeding until period regulated again.

November 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Lea31:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: I have been on it now for 10 yrs & love it. Before I would be in bed for weeks with bad cramps, it was destroying my life. I get little cramping well the shot is due but I can live with that.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 14, 2014 5:12 AM

Review by Lee121212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I thought the shot would be easy due to the fact of taking it every three months compared to the pill taking it everyday, but the shot does not work for my body! I have been bleeding for over a month now. I am going back to the pill.

November 5, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by nene91:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had a miscarriage August 2014 and September 2014 I had got on the shot to help with my periods but its not working. I started my period October 20th 2014 and still bleeding heavy November 5. I have headaches and the cramps are crazy never cramp or bleed this much.

November 5, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Anna Dobson (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Didn't get pregnant, but how could I when I bled for 3 months straight! And gained weight..

October 28, 2014 5:26 PM

Review by Cv73:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been using the Depo for 2 1/2 years now. I noticed during the first year I would spot lightly when I usually got my period and my cramps went away. After the first year my period pretty much went away for the most part. However, when I do occasionally get spotting, it lasts for about 2 weeks and it comes at random times. In the past year I can recall it happening three times. For me it still beats getting reglar periods and it has taken away my horrible cramps so I deal with it. The pill always made me sick no matter what brand I tried so that is another plus with the Depo. But everyone is different and everyone will react differently.

October 27, 2014 10:21 PM

Review by vegas7 (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I have been on the shot for 9 years, I love it, my doctor said I will have to take Xanax and Lexapro with the Depo to even out the mood swings, I am fine and my moods are good, it is natural that your body has bleeding and spotting I have it too, but it does not bother me as much as I suffered with PMS, forgetting things all the time, and being bitchy. Now I don't have that, I FEEL GREAT! Cramps yes but not as bad.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 26, 2014 1:32 AM

Review by Samantha3580:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I was on the Depo-Provera for 5 years. It worked amazing for me. Never got my period after the third shot, and never got pregnant. What I didn't love was that I got all the bad side effects that came along with it. But don't think this is a bad birth control because I got every side effect that came with it I was just unlucky my body is different then other peoples. My friend got no side effects on this birth control. Just note that this is a short term birth control tho. I think I was on it for too many years. I'm on something different now. I would recommend this birth control

October 18, 2014 1:08 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: When I first got the shot I skipped my first period and then had really light periods after that for a few months. Then my period started occurring more often. About 2 weeks of bleeding then 1 week off then bleed for 1 week then 1 week off or less then bleed for 2 weeks. Really weird! That occurred for a couple months. Then I started bleeding non stop for awhile. It was really light but who likes bleeding all the time. Finally at about 1 year of sticking it out. I now am back to skipping the first period after getting the shot and sometimes skip the second or sometimes light spotting. I do bleed a little heavier just before my next shot is due. Makes me think it's wearing of too soon. Had no other side effects though.

October 6, 2014 7:06 PM

Review by Raven2010:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My shot ended in August and since then I have been constantly bleeding. I went in and saw a doctor about this issue and they told me to take 3 pain relievers 4 times a day to stop the bleeding. I have tried that and I am still bleeding. I will never get on this shot again. I have been on this shot before and never had issues like this.

October 4, 2014 9:12 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I started my shot around June of this year and since then I have not stopped bleeding. My doctor is prescribing Nuvaring to put on top of my shot to see if it will stop the bleeding. I will definitely post my results.

September 29, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by Sadie Bady:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm 15 years old. I'm a sophomore in high school. I started taking the Depo-Provera shot around my freshman year. It actually hasn't given me any bad side effects beside loss of hair, I haven't lost a lot a hair, and mood swings. My freshman year I weighed 155 and now I weigh 119. I'm 5'3 and haven't gained a pound from this shot yet. I hate shots but it's definitely worth taking for having no period. I haven't experienced depression or any of the other side effects except the ones listed above. But not everyone is the same. I would recommend talking to your doctor about it before jumping into taking it!

September 24, 2014 11:51 PM

Review by key25watkins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm approaching the third calendar shot for me and now that I have began to bleed unexpectedly, I've taken the time to evaluate myself. Since beginning the Depo-Provera in February I've noticed a series of uncontrollable headaches as well as a spike in my blood pressure. I was administered a better dosage of hydrochlorothiazide to reduce the effects of this blood pressure spike but immediately proceeding my dosage I started experiencing this unexpected bleeding. Taken a back by such abrupt change this makes me reflect on the changes my body has experienced throughout the short course being administered Depo. I had even began to experience anxiety here and there, not to mention fatigue. Later came the abdominal cramps and pains with vaginal adverse side effect.

September 23, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Pip Nos (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: This shot has caused me so many issues. I got it only once. Before the shot, I had abnormally heavy periods that lasted 6 days, and to be honest I'd rather go back to that. My body has had so many issues. The first month, things were fine. The only issues I had within the first month was headaches and nausea (the nausea got EXTREMELY severe at times, I actually had to grip onto my boyfriend just to get stable or lie on the floor). Then came the second month, EXCESSIVE SPOTTING. I also got major depression and hated everyone. I am currently on my third month of the shot and I am still spotting heavily, and sometimes bleeding. Due to the shot, I am now anemic and facing heading to the ER, but I can't because I do not have insurance.

September 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Review by Jordan111:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Honestly the best birth control i've been on. I had to switch from the pill to the shot due to medications I am on and I have had no problems with this birth control. Of course I gained a couple pounds but thats just a given. I gained maybe five pounds so nothing drastic. Will continue to use!

September 20, 2014 3:33 PM

Review by heather red:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I liked this medication when I first got it but after awhile I started to get migraines, dizziness, hot flashes, weight gain, heavy bleeding and severe depression.

September 19, 2014 8:01 PM