User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 34 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 143 reviews 163 medications

5.3
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 493 reviews 6.8

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been on the shot since I believe December. It sucks! The first two shots were great until the end of the second shot and coming up for my third shot. I started bleeding near the end of March and I think I received my third shot shortly after in April. I am still bleeding! The heaviness of it varies week to week. But it sucks. I've heard it takes a while for the shot to wear off and your cycle to go back to normal after getting off the shot - i don't know how accurate that information is. But personally, I would like to say that if you don't need to take any form of birth control other than medical reasons DON'T! This was a horrible decision on my part. I'm done with Depo."

branlynn June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Took the shot 6-2014 and was bleeding 2 weeks straight every other week. Then August 2014 i started bleeding again and i have yet to stop. It is now a year today when i first took my shot. I now have another dr and she says after i do a pelvic ultrasound and blood work, she will put me on the pill if everything looks normal. The pill will regulate my cycle after about a month taking it. I really hope it works."

kayla R June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been on the depo before and my period stopped. Everyone is different. Hope it works for you."

Christine;) June 29, 2015

For Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome at 19 and I'm now 21. I've been on so many medications birth control, hormones for my period from the time I was 8 until now and nothing helps.. I was prescribed Provera about a month ago and my symptoms are nausea (can barely eat anything.. The sight and smell of food makes me sick.), headache (more like a migraine every day.), bloating, sleepiness, tiredness, and breakthrough bleeding. I really don't like this medication except for the whole %u201Cno appetite%u201D thing."

Hajs June 27, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I would recommend this to everyone, My experience on the shot has been great. This is about my 9th month now and I never had to deal with any crazy side effects like weight gain, acne, etc. However, In the first 3 months I did have mood swings but they were never worse than any normal mood swings (for example period mood swings.) and I never got my period, bleeding, or any sporting till 6 months after I started the shot! And even then.. My period was very light and quick. Be sure to drink a lot of milk or eat dairy to replace the calcium that gets stripped from your body by taking the shot. If you don't replace your calcium, your bones can become weak or you can experience more side effects. Just take care of yourself :)"

MandaDelia (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 27, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Do not get the shot. I got the shot a while ago at first everything was alright but then I got my period which I've had forever now it will not go away. I get the worst headaches that I've ever had before and they last all day and I get them everyday. I feel sick. And I also have started to feel super moody and sad out of no where. My body gets achey and I am starting to gain weight definitely will not be getting the shot again it's not worth it."

Cfischer157 June 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "This depo shot has been the best for me I have been on it a long time and I have had no side effects from it I feel full all the time and no pregnancy scares it's really good"

Anonymous (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Warning Unless do you want your life turned completely upside down do not take this form of birth control. I have been bleeding for 8 months now. Constant bleeding no breaks in between whatsoever. Do not believe when the doctor tells you after your second or third shot it'll stop. It won't. I've had more than numerous tests done everything's normal. I've been to a specialist twice. Everyone saids your body has to go back to normal on its own which could take up to a year or two. At this point I'm begging them to give me a hysterectomy. I'm only 32 they won't. I've passed out twice already due to low iron because of blood loss. Had a blood transfusion once because the blood loss. Please explore your other options first."

butterflykisses4u (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Everyone's body is different so I was unsure of how mine would react, but I've had a pretty good experience with depo. I started the beginning of my junior year in high school because my periods were so bad that I would miss school because of cramping. Just taking regular Tylenol or ibuprofen wouldn't lessen the pain. So we decided to go and see if could try something that would help. And the Depo has been amazing for me. I don't have periods although for the first month and a half I did spot on and off. I do sometimes get small cramps but they are nothing like they were and they're only around the time I should be on. My moods are pretty good, I'm not depressed although I do get angrier a little easier. Best of all I've lost 10lbs."

Kat1165 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I've been on the shot for about seven months now, and haven't experienced any of negative side effects that I'd heard horror stories about (no weight gain, no unusual acne, no unusual hair growth, no significant appetite changes, etc). I did have pretty irregular spotting and bleeding for the first three months, but now I can't remember the last time I saw any blood, which suits me just fine! Overall the drug has treated me pretty well - I like not having to deal with my period each month - the only downside for me is having to schedule regular Dr.'s appointments to get the injection."

ail56neura (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 22, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This was the worst birth control method I've been on. I had a period that lasted 2 weeks. Thankfully my doctor prescribed me back to the pill and now the bleeding has stopped. I also experienced serious mood changes. I was constantly tired and upset. I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched In sweat with a very fast heart beat."

Less lie June 21, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I had my daughter in February this year. I received the shot the day I was released from the hospital. The shot didn't hurt and didn't quell the after pregnancy bleeding. I believe that was inevitable. This shot hasn't made me gain weight at all. I'm 119 lbs when I was 173 lbs when I was at my last check up before I had my child. The real problem with this is that I am a fricken mess. I cry at the drop of a hat. I have ZERO appetite and have to force myself to eat. BUT I have longer thicker hair and my body hair didn't change. I'm blonde and it'd be easy to tell. The serious down side is that I've been on the shot for 4 months and HAVE NOT STOPPED BLEEDING! Good lord! It's been 4 months of ruined panties and tampons."

JuicyJ (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 21, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got the shot thinking it would be a good method of birth control and would help my periods stop I hate bleeding but it just made it worst I got the shot April 24th and now its June 20 and I'm still bleeding. I've tried birth control pills it just turned my blood brown but never stopped it then I tried ibuprofen that didn't help either. I'm due for another shot July 27th but I'm not going back to get it. I'm actually looking to get my tubes tied.v It's the best birth control - no injections or craziness or bleeding for days. Putting birth control into my body has ruin it so I'm done I'm just going to get my tubes tied"

so depressed June 20, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I got this shot so I wont have to deal with my period this summer I got it on May 8 2015 today is June 18 2015 and I'm still bleeding. Do not get this shot!"

Aida T. June 18, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "This was a huge mistake for me. Do not take it. I wish i read the reviews before i got it. I only got one shot which last for 3 months, and only in three months igained 10 pounds! My life style didn't change I was working out pretty much every day and eating helthy still I got bigger than before. Everything got worse when I discontinued the shot, i got super sad and crying for no reason, my energy is 0 right now, i just wanna be in bed all day, i am sleepy during tye day. The acne seems to increase a lot, even in unusual areas like my scalp. My period is super mess up, i bleed for two months, i don't wanna have sex. I knew about the side effects before but I didn't know that it gets worse even stopping the shot, this too much to handle"

Mua lolita. June 18, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "My experience on this shot was.. Awful, to say the least. I gained 40 lbs and became extremely depressed, and started having anxiety. I only got the shot 3 times and gained that much weight.. I am now struggling with body image due to this shot. It had a huge effect on my joints as well. I am now weak, always sick, have stomach issues, and am always tired. I never had any of these symptoms before starting it. Not to mention, it didn't help my period at all. I was having if for 3 weeks straight, and a day between then I'd start again. I was perfectly healthy and it has ruined my life. Never take this medicine."

3638indiana June 18, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "So, I've been on depo for two years now. And I'll say, it has been the worst! I've gained 12 lbs. I have constant headaches and backaches. I'm very moody. I spot one month after getting the shot up until I get the next shot, then it repeats. I have bad cramps, and lots of hot flashes. I'm getting off the shot next month because this just isn't the BC for me."

Kurshon (taken for 2 to 5 years) June 14, 2015

For Birth Control: "I started the shot August of 2014 and I'm still currently on it. My Dr. told me that for the first month I would bleed irregularly, which didn't happen. For maybe about a week I had very little bleeding to hardly any at all with my first shot. I had gained about 10 pounds since I've been on it. It has helped cleared my skin. The shot as COMPLETELY stopped my period. Which is quite amazing. The only reason why I'm not giving the shot a 10 is because of the weight gain. Because of it, it made it hard to loose weight and keep it off. I don't know if the shot could have caused this but I did experience insomnia,excessive oily skin, and out of control heartburn."

Mel Bon June 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "This medicine made me have really bad mood swings. I took it to stop bleeding. Bleeding never stopped. I even had thoughts of suicide. Outburst of crying for no reason. No thanks"

Anonymous June 12, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I switched from a hormonal contraceptive to Depo Provera January of 2013, never had any problems (weight gain, acne, irregular bleeding) for the first year and a half and only bled about a week or two before my next shot was due. Starting about 8 months ago I was bleeding almost 2 months before every shot and the last shot I received in March I continued to bleed 2 weeks after getting the shot. I also noticed an increase in extreme depression and anxiety. I have also spent the last 6 months dealing with breakouts (which I never had before) and an increase in keratosis pillars on my face (not sure if its related to a hormone imbalance). I would never recommend this shot to anyone."

1234567ttt June 12, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been on the depo for over two years now. For the first 9 months I experienced light bleeding/spotting but the doctors told me to continue as it won't be long until my body got used to it. After my third shot the bleeding just stopped completely. It is best to carry on with it because I haven't had a period in over a year, just occasional spotting every couple of months if that. Weight gain was a problem for me but I'm not overweight and I can lose if I stick to a healthy diet. Other than that I've had no problem with the depo, it's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Once you get past the months of bleeding you don't have to worry about a thing. :)"

Kxoxo June 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I was on Depo for about 5 years. My period would immediatly stop everytime I took the shot. That is the only positive. Aside from that I gained about 30 pounds from the shot. Thank God I was really small when I got on it , and my fat is in the " right" places. However, it doesn't change the fact that this is something that should not be on the market. Doctors will tell you that it is your diet that is causing the weight gain. However, my diet is the same as it was years ago. I decided to get off the shot , as getting a period is a part of woman hood and not enough of a reason to keep injecting something that awful in my body. I have been off about 6 months now. Thankfully my periods are regular now, but I plan to see a dietician soon!"

Doesn't Matter June 9, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "Absolutely the worst decision I have ever made! Got the shot to March 13 to straighten out my hormones. Was on my period when I got the shot. Stopped a week later. April 4th I started again. It is now June 8 and I have not stopped! Plus, I am crankier than before and VERY emotional! I am due for my second shot and I refuse to get it! This is absolutely ridiculous!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got on the shot on October 7th 2014, I thought it would end my periods but I ended up bleeding everyday for six months straight. My third shot that I had got on April 8th 2015 ended the bleeding for about a month and a half and now I'm bleeding again and this time I'm having cramps as if I'm on my period. My next shot is on July 8th and I will not be going through with it. The depo shot just ruins your body, I hate it"

NessaVWiseman June 6, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I got on the depo not only for prevention of pregnancy but also everyone I know stopped getting their periods. How awesome is that! I was very skeptical about it because everyone I knew either gained an excessive amount of weight or just were not able to loose at all. My experience was great for my first shot, I got my period once throughout the 3 months and I was still able to loose weight without any issues. My problem started when I got my second shot. About 2 weeks after receiving the shot I got my period which was fine but that was April 9th and it is now June 4th and I still have. It's not a heavy flow at all mostly just spotting and clotting. Will not be receiving 3rd shot. I want sex!! If the bleeding wasn't so much I'd continue."

AssahAmor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2015