User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 26 reviews 27 medications

Endometriosis 26 reviews 175 medications

Renal Cell Carcinoma 1 reviews 19 medications

Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 38 reviews 177 medications

6.6
Birth Control 184 reviews 223 medications

6.2
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 275 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by HBM: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm 16 years old, and I have been on the shot since July 2013. I haven't had any of the side effects like having unusual cramps, headaches, or ance. The only problem that I have is I spot on and off for about 2-3 weeks right before I'm supposed to get my next shot.

April 20, 2014 10:20 PM
Review by AnonMD: User Rating:

depo-subQ provera 104 (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Just recently have got Depo subQ provera for the first time--(at the same time my best friend has gotten the regular Depo-Provera shot)--I haven't had any side effects: no mood swings, no weight gaining, nothing. While she's had some mood swings going on. I don't know if it's because it's a different Depo or just because I'm a different person, but I'd recommend this to people. Plus it's a much smaller needle that goes in your stomach instead of your arm.

April 17, 2014 11:34 AM
Review by MizzTaylor88 (taken for less than 1 month): User Rating:

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My experience with Provera has been a very painful situation. I am 26 and was diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome at the age of 22. I never had regular periods since the age of 15. I was always on some form of birth control to regulate. I was taking the Depo-Povera shot (depo shot) for about 6 months before I decided to get off due to the excessive weight gain. The Nurse Practitioner weaned me off of the shot and decided to give me the Micronor birth control pills which did not help as well. I have been on my cycle for 2.5. months. I can ot afford insurance,the only thing I could do was to go to the emergency room. I seen the ER dr there where she gave me the Provera 10mg four times a day. My bleeding has gotten heavier.

April 12, 2014 6:00 PM
Review by Jay-_: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the Depo for about 10 months, so 3 shots. I've never had bleeding until this past week, a full week straight. Never had a period until now. Never even had any period pain or anything close to it. I love the low maintenance associated with the shot but if this continues I may have to stop!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
April 6, 2014 10:06 PM
Review by Kat923: User Rating:

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Works right like it said it would but heavy bleeding.

April 1, 2014 9:33 AM
Review by minnii (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had it for a year and a bit. Gained weight. Stopped it 8 months ago and get my period twice a month! Painful ones too

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 31, 2014 7:20 AM
Review by Mm3310: User Rating:

medroxyprogesterone for Amenorrhea: It does what it's supposed to, at least for me it did. I'm prescribed to take 10 days of 100mg Provera every night before bed every 60 days (or every two months I don't have a cycle). It makes me feel awful though. The first month I was prescribed Provera I took all 10 pills. I'm on the smaller side and I really think 100mg is just too much for my body. I have horrific constipation & gas after about 2 days on it, absolutely zero energy, and my face tends to breakout (only 1-2 small, it's always clear otherwise), it also makes me starving 24/7. It works though.

March 28, 2014 3:54 PM
Review by Sami Ann: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the Depo shot for over a year. I know that cramps and other signs are common, but just recently I have been bleeding a lot more than I should be, but not quite at a normal period. This works very well and I love it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 27, 2014 2:15 PM
Review by Alexandria R: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: I've only had one shot so far, but it has now been almost two months since I got the shot. I heard good things about this shot, and I was hoping it would take care of my really severe cramps! I skipped my period the month after I got the shot, but then the month after that, it came back. I would say my period is a lot lighter now, but it has lasted twice as long as it normally does. My cramps have been better, as they are now tolerable. But, they are still there. I have noticed a really big change in mood swings and emotions. I get in cranky moods WAY more often. At least once a day. I also have noticed that I cry super easily now, even over little things. Again though, it has only been two months. Maybe things will start to get better.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 24, 2014 2:12 AM
Review by rikita (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I took this shot about 2 months ago and was excited for it. I had read many good things about it and I am quite a forgetful person so a shot once every three months was great. Little did I know though that it would not be great for me. I had my period for 17 days. It finally went away but now I have my period again, hoping it won't last 17 days again... Just like a previous reviewer stated as well, I was super energetic and lively and this shot has made me quite withdrawn and quiet. I really hate that. I also feel myself becoming a little more emotional over small matters that I would laugh at before. This wasn't the birth control for me.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 21, 2014 2:20 PM
Review by Anonymous: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've never had acne and I cannot seem to get rid of it. I'm sure it's because of the Depo Provera as it started shortly after my first injection. I am in my 30's and an active runner. My hips and knees seem to be much more sore after runs after I started the Depo. I also have osteoporosis in my family and that is not helping my bone density situation. On the positive side, it's easy to take, stops my periods and I lost weight on it. All that being said, this will be my last cycle as the convenience is not worth brittle bones or a face full of acne.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 20, 2014 5:42 PM
Review by TN mom: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: I was hesitant to try this but I really didn't want to have a hysterectomy. I've already had one ovary/tube out due to my endometriosis. I was recently diagnosed with also have adenomyosis now. It was Depo-Provera, Lupron or a hysterectomy. I read so many terrible reviews that it had me nervous but I tried it anyway. I've gained a few pounds but am also 45 and lazy so that may be the more likely culprit. My acne is actually gone. I've had no endometrosis symptoms. My hair is slightly thicker. For me it's been a miracle. We're hoping to be able to have these results until menopause hits.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
March 5, 2014 5:50 PM
Review by ash456124: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I was on the shot for a little over 3 years I gained a total of 5 pounds being on the shot. I got off the shot because it was ruining my teeth! It had been awhile since I went to the dentist but when I went I was told I had 17 cavities. I was shocked! I bush my teeth everyday, I may not floss like I should, but 17? That's not the worst part thought after they fixed all my teeth I go back a month later for a cleaning to find out I had gotten 7 more cavities. How does this happen within a months time? I finally realized it was the Depo-Provera after actually reading the paper the doctor gives you every time you get the shot.

March 3, 2014 6:36 PM
Review by ZoeyM (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've been on the Depo shot for 6 Months. I had 3 shots so Far%u2026 the first shot was great Ive had no periods at all when I got my second shot. About 4 weeks after I started bleeding almost everyday but once I got my third shot it had stopped, I am not having any problems so far. But I Am constantly losing weight like when I started the shot I was 129lbs, I am now 114lbs how is this happening? I eat all the time.

February 24, 2014 9:34 AM
Review by Katie671: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I literally received this shot a few days ago and I can already feel a difference. I was on the pill with no problems but had to stop taking it because of the migraines that I get and the possible risk of taking the pill. My chest is very sore, I'm tired, getting random headaches and sort of down(mood). I'm not as talkative, it's almost like my personality just disappeared overnight. I definitely don't feel like my usual self. I wanted to see some reviews to see how quickly others were feeling side effects and what they are experiencing. It seems like these symptoms have a possibility of going away...not sure how long I want to wait, even though I still have a minimum of three more months.

February 21, 2014 1:34 AM
Review by P.angel92: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I have been on Depo for about a year now! I got it in April in 2013 and now it's February 2014. I kept bleeding since I got it till about October. So I had about 2 shots by then. When got my 3rd shot, I stopped bleeding. I haven't got a period since then. I weighed about 105lbs now I weigh 130lbs, I gained so much weight.

February 18, 2014 6:26 PM
Review by PatrinaMB: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I started using Depo-Provera middle of January 2014 it has been a month and I haven't had a period. I have severe breast ache on my left breast and sometimes I may get cramps. I sleep all the time and I am always tired and on edge. I have control on the way I feel and I am grateful for the injection as I forget to take my pills.

February 17, 2014 10:22 PM
Review by Huggie555: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: On Depo-Provera injection for 7 years its been great but recently suffered a fractured knee due to a relatively small fall was sent for bone density test, I have osteoporosis bone density 14 % below normal, I will now change my contraception and hope that bone density gets better.

February 16, 2014 8:45 PM
Review by Crissy1218 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on this for a few months. I'm very bad at remembering to take the pill everyday at the same exact time so I figured the shot would be perfect. And I know its still a little too early to determine whether or not I like it. I got my period in December and she administered the shot. I haven't stopped bleeding since and its almost March! I spoke with my doctor and she told me it was totally normal and it was my body getting used to the medication but I very much dislike it. I've been VERY moody and I get so turned off by food that sometimes I just go through the day drinking fluids. This has only been from one shot, but I'll see where it goes. If it continues to go downhill, I have to switch back to the pill.

February 12, 2014 8:19 AM
Review by fel23 (taken for 6 months to 1 year): User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Amenorrhea: My first birth control experience was a disaster; I was taking Tri-Sprintec. Tri-Sprintec made me gain 20 pounds, acne, increased my periods, and did the exact opposite of what it was supposed to do. After one year of searching the internet for an alternative option I came across the Depo-Provera shot. I have been on it now for 9 months (so this is my third shot), and I have come across no weight gain/no periods, and I think I am one of the few women who has been so lucky. The only thing is, for the first month of EACH shot you have bloating, some pain, a little headaches, etc. It goes away for me after that. Nothing I can't handle compared to the periods I was getting before. Everyone is different though but I highly recommend this!

February 9, 2014 11:15 PM
Review by SiWi (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: It was great at first. No periods and no hassle of taking a pill. However, I was so tired all the time that I would sleep 12 hours and want to go right back to sleep. It also made me very depressed and moody, almost manic at times. Not to mention, it made my breasts smaller.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 9, 2014 5:22 PM
Review by nkb (taken for 1 to 2 years): User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: My doctor put my on Depo-Provera after laproscopy for endometriosis. I had irregular periods after the first shot and after the second I remember I had one period that seemed to last for a month. This is a known side effect and as promised it went away after the third shot. I haven't had my period now in about a year. I also haven't had any debilitating endometriosis symptoms either. I think I gained about 5 lbs total but then again I'm also in my 40s and that could simply be a part of aging. I am a big fan. It gave me nearly total relief after getting through the first 6 months.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate
February 8, 2014 10:36 PM
Review by Kettlekate (taken for 5 to 10 years): User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the Depo-Provera jab for 5 years due to heavy periods I've not had one since I spot occasionally but that is very rarely. It's not for everyone warranted but it changed my life. It has it's ups and downs but I'm a strong person and I manage the mood swings and I'm sensible enough to know now that nearer the time of my jab I get cravings for food and after I've had it they go. My skin improved and I lost weight. That's because I knew it can cause cravings so I managed it. I would recommend it if you are a strong willed sensible person. It's not a light-hearted contraceptive.

January 29, 2014 9:06 AM
Review by Amberleaotto: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Being a newlywed, I was looking for a birth control I could trust, I originally was on the pill, but I have cyclical vomiting syndrome, I'll basically have cycles where I vomit uncontrollably, so during a 3 week cycle, I realized the pill would not be a good fit for me. So I switched to the shot, the second month I was on my period for a full 30 days, which I was told was normal, after that I haven't had a period at all, I have had no side effects, no weight gain, and most importantly no pregnancy scares.

January 28, 2014 12:17 PM
Review by nechelle34: User Rating:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 4 wks into shot and feel horrible! My sex drive is gone, side pains, cramps, headaches, and so tired all the time. My mood swings make me feel like I am crazy! Oh and now I have this metallic taste in my mouth. I just want to sleep all day because of the constant cramping..I feel horrible. My face is changing too! I am black and my face looks so dry and discolored.

January 28, 2014 10:37 AM
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 Next

Advanced Breast Cancer: Learn about treatments to improve quality of life. Click Here