User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 28 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Birth Control 205 reviews 225 medications

6.2
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 316 reviews 6.4

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months):

For Birth Control: I'm writing this review to offer some hope- when I first got the shot, I read all these reviews and it freaked me out. Luckily I had none of the mood swing or depression side effects, but definitely still got the cramping and bleeding. After my first shot, I didn't bleed at all for about 2 weeks, until my regular cycle was due. Started with spotting and then bled regularly for the next 10 weeks. I read some other reviews from people saying they stopped bleeding after the second shot and, lo and behold, one week after my second shot and I stopped bleeding completely. I know I felt like I was going to bleed forever so hopefully this'll offer some hope to newcomers of the shot. Especially when they say something like 70% of women stop immediately

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 11:03 PM

Review by Zamora Ivy:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on Depo for 1 year and 5 months and first my periods would last 2 weeks 3 days instead of 5-7 days. After my 3rd shot I had no more periods but lately my last 2 shots I've been spotting due to getting my shots at the 12th week instead of 10-11 week. I've had no complications inspite the 20-25 lbs gain weight from the shot. This September I'm due for another but have decided with my fiance to put a hold on the shots. Just remember ladies everyone's body is different so what may work out for me won't on others if one birth control doesn't cut it for you try another the one that suits you best. Good luck.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by 9r9:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Very effective but bad side effects. I'm 17 and I've had two doses of it but I won't be continuing it. I have gained weight that is IMPOSSIBLE to lose, I get head rushes and I feel dizzy almost every time I stand up and lots of cramping. I stopped getting my period but one every month-two months I have a few drops of blood but that's it. I'm not happy with the shot but it was effective.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 7, 2014 12:47 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I took provera for 7 days for abnormal uterine bleeding it only made the bleeding worse with more clots and gave me the worse headaches ever

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 6, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by Becca1248:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I started the shot when I was 17 about to be 18. I am now 20 about to be 21. Very effective at preventing pregnancy. However, I have terrible mood swings, migraines, and weight gain. When I started taking Depo I was the healthiest I have ever been. Slowly but surely I put on the pounds and my depression became unbearable! The first year I didn't gain much, maybe ten pounds and went from a size 4 to a size 6. I weighed 135, now I weigh about 170. It's horrendous! I just switched birth control yesterday, so I hope it treats me better than Depo Provera!

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 29, 2014 1:53 PM

Review by Jenniw:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Had the shot once, no bleeding the first two months then the third month a four week long period. Didn't go back (due for another shot May third) and I've pretty much been bleeding/spotting the whole time. April-September and still going strong.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 22, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Laysha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot since April now that I have my second shot. I spotted blood a few times but now there's constant bleeding.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm 32 yrs old. I went on Depo-Provera for 3 months and it was horrible. I constantly felt like I was running a fever and sweating like crazy. I had horrible PMS but no period. The only good thing about it was the convenience.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 14, 2014 10:09 AM

Review by College student (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I started this birth control at 145lbs 5'3 so I was already a little heavy but I was working out and eating healthy to keep losing weight. The first shot seemed fine. By the second shot, I gained 5lbs which I thought was odd but the doctor said it was normal. I then started becoming very depressed and spent most of my days sleeping or in bed. I gained another 10 lbs. when it was time for the third shot. The 3rd shot made me gain 25 more lbs where I was at 185. I always ate relatively healthy and went to the gym. And I decided to not take the 4th shot. And it's been about a month past when I was supposed to take the 4th shot and I'm finally starting to lose weight. I'm at 175 now and still have a long way to go.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 13, 2014 3:14 PM

Review by _nonthvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I only had one shot. It lasts 3 months. During those months I got my period the first month & not the other two. Now I came down to Trinidad on vacation before I was able to get my second shot. Now I've been bleeding for 3 months STRAIGHT. I know this is abnormal. I have the worst cramps, & my whole body hurts.

August 11, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by Confused? (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the Depo-Provera shot for 5 years, I love it, I haven't had a period since I got the first shot. Then one day randomly, I started spotting, I wasn't to concerned at first but the bleeding went on and got heavier over a span of 2 months (I had been trying to get into the doctors but that hadn't been working out). Finally I was able to talk to my doctor and it just turned out to be my body basically adapting to the progestin, so instead of coming in every 12 weeks I come in every 10 to 11 weeks depending on if I start bleeding.

August 11, 2014 5:43 PM

Review by Bianca b:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've had DEPO PROVERA for about two years, for the first couple of months I was bleeding like crazy, then it lightened up to only spotting occasionally and bleeding the week my next shot was due. I gained 5 pounds throughout the two years which was not bad but recently I've been bleeding for almost a week straight it kind of sucks because I have a boyfriend and I want to have sex, I just have to deal with maybe the next time I'll get the shot it won't be as bad. If the bleeding continues as it does now I might just go back on the pill.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 10, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Anonn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: My first shot of depo was great, no mood swings or any other side affects other than some very light spotting. Happy with my first shot, I got a 2nd but it didn't turn out as the first shot did. I'm happy because there's no mood swings or really any mental side effects which is why I switched from the pill. However, I was told my period would completely go away or just be light spotting, but for some reason I have now been having a normal/heavy period for over a month now which concerning. I've also been experiencing a lot of headaches, and cramps that can get so bad they'll sometimes wake me up from dead sleep. I'll be going to the doctor soon to get off of this, blood loss is not fun :c don't think this is super common though

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 9, 2014 1:46 PM

Review by emlee_ (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 17 and have been on Depo for 3 months. I started off with no side effects for the first 3 weeks, until I was late for my period by 2 weeks, then when I eventually had my period I have been spotting for the last 6 weeks. Which is really becoming annoying and making me feel depressed. I haven't lost my sex drive, but I have had major mood swings and sore breasts for the past 2 months. I feel as though I will keep using Depo for the next 2 shots and see if anything changes, because overall I feel as though minus the spotting it is beneficial.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 7, 2014 5:25 PM

Review by Raye1:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 25 and I have been on Depo-Provera for about 3 years. My mother is my doctor so she warned me about the weight gain. I somehow lost 5lbs once I started taking it. My weight has been up and down for the past 2 years but I don't think it is due to the shot. Its my love of food. Anyways, the shot is great; every 3 months. I haven't had a period for 3 years. Spotting every now and then but that's okay. I am very worried about getting off of the shot but I will prepare for that when the time comes.

August 4, 2014 6:06 PM

Review by Overbleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I had my first shot and the first three months were fine. After the second shot I haven't stopped bleeding. When I was due for my third shot my doctor advised against having it. It should have worn off by now. I am still bleeding, now five months after my second shot, it feels like it is never going to stop.

July 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Bethany1234:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I gained 40 pounds on Depo Provera shot.

July 24, 2014 8:33 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: When I was 16 I had the WORST period. Major cramps to where I couldn't go to school, bloated super bad. So my dr. Recommended the shot. I got it. And since then I've had not even the slightest spotting. And it's been 2 years. One night the condom broke completely and I was so worried. But didn't get pregant. I've gained 5-10 pounds over the course. But I for sure recommend.

July 21, 2014 8:51 PM

Review by Cookie933 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I was on the Depo shot for a little over a year and a half. At first I had a very long period (14 days for a few months when my period was generally about 3 days previously). Then I stopped having a period altogether. Its been a month since I was due for my shot. After reading online I was worried that I would be waiting months-year to get my period back after it however, I woke up today and thankfully got it. I've never been so happy to get my period before. I guess I'm one of those lucky few that get their period back as soon as they are off of it.

July 21, 2014 6:26 PM

Review by Meme74 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: My first shot was July 16, 2013, the last shot was March 24, 2014. Four shots total and in that time I had some type of vaginal discharge every month. I wore some type of pantyliner or pad everyday during this time because I never knew if I would have a period. The bleeding wasn't always heavy, but I bled enough that I became iron deficient anemic. I did experience larger than normal clots some months. I wanted to try the full year to see if my periods would ever stop, but the lack of iron made me get off Depo.

July 15, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by emmie3183 (taken for less than 1 month):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: After 5 years of not getting the shot I decided it was time again endometriosis is very painful and it had returned so it was time. The last Depo Provera shot was great, no periods, no weight gain, no hormonal imbalances. This time I have the hormones of a pregnant woman and I've been bleeding heavily for two weeks since giving myself the shot. I don't have cramping too bad and my face has cleared but this hormonal imbalance, headaches, and heavy bleeding is kicking my butt even more tired than normal.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Hyaaa74:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I do not like this medicine. I've only had one shot so far. I didn't come on my period for two months now on the third month I've been on for 2 weeks already. The pain is worse then my normal cramps. I'm not getting my second shot. I'm only 16.

July 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by Twinkx97 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I'm almost due for my 5th shot (almost a year) and I noticed last night that I had some irregular bleeding. Woke up and it had continued. Tad worried but I haven't had anything like this since I got my 2nd shot so I think I'm okay. Will chat to my GP about it when I go for my shot.

July 3, 2014 9:02 PM

Review by Don't!:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 34 with 3 kids. I tried the pill but had incredibly tender breasts, tried the copper coil for 6 weeks but had cramps and spotting. I thought I'd give Depo Provera injection just one go. I don't think my body likes hormonal contraception. I am constantly bleeding after the injection. AND I suddenly have psoriasis all over my face and hands. Its peeling, red and itchy. I look like someone beat me up! Its embarrassing as you can imagine.

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 2, 2014 9:43 AM

Review by britmarie (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I was on the shot for 2 years. I'm 5'3 120 pounds naturally. I weighed up to 130 while on the shot. It is extremely effective for protection against pregnancy. Although I have no sex drive and terrible mood swings and weight gain in abdomen, face and buttocks. The pros would be clear skin and effectiveness against pregnancy but wouldn't recommend it for short term birth control or for women who gain weight easily. Took my body almost a year to regulate itself after stopping.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate