User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Amenorrhea 28 reviews 27 medications

6.3
Abnormal Uterine Bleeding 76 reviews 177 medications

6.2
Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 0 reviews 17 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 363 reviews 6.5

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I love how all of you say that you can't lose weight on Depo. I gained about 15 pounds, started dieting and exercising, and now I have lost all of that weight and more! Yes I have some spotting, but its better than having to take a pill everyday!

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by Reynaaalee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got the Depo shot in October 2014. It is now February 2015 and I have been either spotting or full on bleeding since then. I can't have sex because I start to bleed as if my period just started. I've been on and off the Depo for 4 years and this is the first time I've had a bad experience with it. I also gained 25 pounds since October, but I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2015 7:13 AM

Review by Lacey11091992:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been taking this shot since October. I've been bleeding non stop since December. It went from a 2 weeks period, to a 2 month period. I've taken Meds to help & nothing! This horrible. It's like I'm on the shot for no reason.

February 19, 2015 3:48 PM

Review by Depo user:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been on the Depo for 13 yrs and it has been great no periods not even spotting but I did however gain a lot of weight and I have experienced headaches but I just stopped because I have been on it to long, it will cause bone loss I probably experienced a lot of the side effects but nothing worse then bleeding and cramping for months at a time I would have definitely go back to it if I could.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Bec22 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: Have been on Depo-Provera almost 3 years since being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis as it is the only contraceptive my consultant could recommend that doesn't allow ovulation. I can honestly say I find no faults with this contraceptive! I get it every 10 weeks as apposed to every 12 weeks to keep it built up and not allow bleeding, I was on the pill version before and it didn't agree with me but the injection has worked wonders! No pain, nausea, anemia or bleeding! My life has changed because of this medication, I would honestly seek professional advice if you found this didn't work for you as it may just be a case of dosage or time span.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 9:12 AM

Review by No kids (taken for 10 years or more):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I have been on Depo for 16 years. It's effective! No kids! I started seeing side effects around year 6 which included a little facial hair. Around year 19 I gained about 25 pounds (I went from 120 to about 145) it's still so worth it. No periods and no cramps after year 1! I take calcium supplements and I lift heavy weights so along with getting bone density test-so far so good.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 26, 2015 5:07 PM

Review by mzdavis:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received the shot on Nov 22, after having my daughter. It is now Jan 24, and I have been bleeding on and off since receiving the shot.

January 24, 2015 8:27 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Pros: Effective (Always was on time for my injection) No period No more PMS Cons: Cramping on and off throughout a year on Depo shot Gained 50 pounds within a year Raised blood pressure Nervousness and dizziness

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 19, 2015 8:19 PM

Review by Megan3212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got on the Depo-Provera shot at age 15 and just got off of it at age 20, and I am now on Seasonique (the pill). I didn't realize how awesome Depo was until I switched. Having no periods for 5 years was definitely great, I didn't gain any weight from the Depo even though it made me eat like I was pregnant with triplets for 5 years. There was minimal spotting which I would take over periods any day. I got moody when I started getting close to my next shot due date but that's about it. I would definitely recommend this birth control!

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 14, 2015 10:28 AM

Review by jezlynn (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I am 28 yrs old, I have been on the Depo shot for 3 months now to regulate my periods, my first 2 months I didn't get my period at all, no side affects except a headache for the first week. Now into my 3rd month and I have had my period for going on 3 weeks straight and its really stressing me out, I have been irritable these past week, major mood swings and lost my sex drive. And no changes in my weight, but pretty sure I will not continue this method of birth control.

January 13, 2015 4:24 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: It's very effective, I give it that. I didn't get pregnant. I've been on this birth control for 6 months and I've gained 40lbs. Yes.. 40!!! I ate healthy and exercised everyday. I DO NOT RECOMMEND if you want to keep you figure or plan to lose weight.

January 7, 2015 9:39 PM

Review by kaykaykaylakat (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Effective and not disappointed. After the first 3 weeks on the shot I had heavy period for almost 20 days, but after that absolutely no period, no cramping, spotting, nothing! Some weight gain but I'm successfully burning that off. The only downside is the depression and anxiety, but those are occasional. They only happen within the first couple weeks of taking the shot and I just got my third dose. Love it but it's not for everybody!

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 7, 2015 7:01 PM

Review by j_la_:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I've been on the shot for about a year and 6 months and am: a). Still having my period irregularly and it will last about 2-3 weeks b). Am on my period now and have been on it so far for 6 weeks

January 6, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by 12356:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got my first Depo shot November 19th. Since then I only had minor spotting and cramps, no mood swings or major weight gain if anything my weight is far more stable and satisfactory. Although on the 2nd of January I began my normal period again and hoping it will end on the 6th. Definitely would recommend.

January 4, 2015 8:59 PM

Review by Violinent (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Everyone I talk to seems to have had different experiences with Depo. For me it has been a perfect experience, but my sister had a horrible time with it. I had very light spotting after the first shot during what should have been my monthly period, and since then have had absolutely no period or spotting. My weight has remained at a constant level the entire 4 years that I've been taking it, and I haven't experience moods swings, hair loss, or any of the other common symptoms. My doctor warned me that the shot could make my migraines worse, but I haven't noticed any difference in prevalence or severity. Everyone's body reacts differently, but it is definitely worth trying. I love this form of contraception - no periods and no babies!

January 2, 2015 12:14 PM

Review by lorissa:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I got one shot, September 2013. its now almost January 2014 and I haven't stopped bleeding in over a year!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by Tia.123:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: Depo as a birth control I guess it worked, everything else just went wrong! I only had one shot and dont think I will ever go back. Within two weeks of getting the injection I got really bad headache, depressed, abdominal cramps, flash bleeding vomiting , unstable gate , memory loss, my face broke out, lost a bunch of weight, optic nerve damage, I went into svt and the list goes on. My whole life turned upside down. So yes it may work for some people with no side effects but it has damaged my life

December 26, 2014 7:18 PM

Review by youngna (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I have been receiving the Depo shot since July 2013. This has been my first and only birth control I've taken and a huge benefit is that I am not worrying about taking a pill. However, for the past 6 months I have experienced spotting. It is not enough blood to need to wear a tampon, however it is very dark blood which stains underwear. This has been extremely frustrating to me and I am now trying to decide what will be my next best option of birth control will be.

December 24, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by Lacey92:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I'm due for my second shot next week. I'm very torn about getting it. When I got the shot, I didn't have any side effects. (at first) Every month since the shot I bleed for about 3 weeks straight. It really bothers me. One of the main reasons I got on it was to try to help my periods. Just makes them worse!

December 21, 2014 6:50 PM

Review by lnzlue:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got my shot in the middle of October and I don't like it. I'm not pregnant but that may be because my sex drive is completely nonexistent. I can't lose much weight even though I am breastfeeding and following Weight Watchers. I have random bleeding and my vagina is incredibly dry. Not renewing my shot next month.

December 18, 2014 10:32 AM

Review by Sharni:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've just gotten the second shot today, and I must say I love it, haven't had my period had the tiniest bit of spotting I still get cramps when I'm due for my period but nothing else. I have also not gotten pregnant at all. Probably the best decision I ever made.

December 18, 2014 1:51 AM

Review by Ilovedepo:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I LOVE Depo! Been on it for about 2 1/2 years, only side effects are some weight gain (5-10 pounds) and minor cramping once a month maybe. I used to have TERRIBLE periods, ever since my first shot I haven't had a single period or spotting. It's nice only having to go in once every 3 months. Definitely 10/10!

December 14, 2014 10:03 PM

Review by breebug001:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: I received my first dose of the shot in the beginning of May, and I have been constantly bleeding every since! I was told at after my 3rd shot the bleeding would stop, but it hasn't. I'm considering switching to the pill at the end of this month. I cannot take this bleeding anymore.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by Ms.T.:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I've been on the shot for 7 years, no cycle, no other children and no weight gain. The only side effects that I think I'm having now is low sex drive because I can't get into sex like I used too. I don't like taking pills and forget to with vitamins so I know they wouldn't be a good idea. But I do think being on the shot for so long actually messed with the hormones because my face tends to break out every other week but other than that I love it but its time to get off!

December 5, 2014 2:41 PM

Review by tnk092012:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: I got this shot a few weeks ago and my side effects are already horrible. I had anxiety before but now it's so much worse. My mood swings are unreal and my breasts have been so tender to the point where I can't touch them at all and they've grown a ton. Not to mention the few pounds I've already put on in the short time. I will never take the shot again. I don't recommend this form at all. Once you get the shot, not matter how miserable the effects are you can't do anything about it. Going back onto the pill once this wears off.

November 30, 2014 11:31 PM