User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis 1 reviews 17 medications

Endometrial Cancer 0 reviews 9 medications Not rated - Be the first
Gender Dysphoria 0 reviews 0 medications Not rated - Be the first
Summary of Medroxyprogesterone reviews 516 reviews 7.1

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Well I've been taking depo for over a year now since I had my first child . I took my last shot in April 2015 and I've decided not to take another shot because of all the bleeding I've been doing . I was supposed to take another shot on July 17th but didn't and that didn't seem to help because I'm still bleeding like crazy . I have been bleeding for almost 1 month . It's crazy ."

SlimmyMommy July 26, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "After the birth of our son, my husband and I decided that the shot would be our best option. Didn't have to take a pill every day and no periods. So on July 18 2014 I had my first shot. I began soaking through 12 to 28 tampons daily. I was hospitalized for that, and once again for a fainting episode due to anemia. I never went back for my second shot. It is now just over a year later. I am still bleeding. My husband and I haven't had sex for a year because of the intensity of the pain and bleeding. I have tried everything from soy isoflavones, to ibuprofen and iron, to estrogen therapy, to other forms of birth control. They say I have to let it wear off, but it's so bad that I have trouble caring for my child because of fatigue."

Memphis' Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I have bled for 7 months straight since I took a shot of depo provera. I started bleeding 2 weeks after for 7 months. I have finished over 100 tablets of tanxeric acid to help stop the bleeding at different times. The bleeding reduces when am on the tablet and continues after 5 days. I regret ever taking depo provera. Am still praying for the bleeding to stop. I know am at the last stages before the side effect completely leaves my body. 1 more month to make it 8 months if it continues I will look for any available option to completely stop it. My Doctor didn't tell me the side effects before I took the shot. I've been on iron every day for 7 months. I also take multivitamin and vitamin C. This is a horrible experience for me.NEVER AGAIN!"

Splenn July 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I went on the depo in May '15 and just about due for my next dose. I like to have a positive outlook on life but my experience with depo has been dreadful! The evening I got it I started getting severe bug like stomach cramps, shivering and felt really unwell, this lasted for just over 2 weeks. Then about a week later I started bleeding and have yet to stop, on top of that, I've been losing weight, nausea, very sore breasts, bad cramping, low mood, fatigue, loss of appetite, strong sense of smell and taste (even gone off foods I used to love - almost feel pregnant in a way!) lots of migraines and over all feel very unwell. Doctor said I've just got to wait it out. Worst decision ever - never again!"

Raeily (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I had a great experience on this medicine. I recently stopped because I got sick of the spotting. What makes me mad is as soon as I stopped, my body had finally got used to it. I was a pretty fit person too. I am 5'6 and I weight about 145 when starting, and then dropped down to 130. It's very, very rare to lose weight so don't think it will happen to you but I went to the gym in my spare time ( I mainly ran a lot) and I lost the weight. It was great and I never had to worry about being pregnant. I plan to go back on this bc again. Plus, it was free. I have tried plenty of bc and can't stand the pills, tried the nuvaring because that was free with my insurance too. Nope hated it. Everyone is different but overall this was the best BC I was on."

Jessica! (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 23, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "My experience on depo has been great so far , I been on it for one year I don't bleed for days , however I spot time to time. (Not a lot at all ) yes I have gained weight (only in my thighs and butt) I Get headaches but nothing extremely dreadful . mood swings! Other then that I don't I any other side affects . I haven't got pregnant lol"

skinny_mee3 July 19, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "Hello everyone I was 13 years old when I started the depo. I finally got off the depo at 28 then turned around and got the 10 year IUD at the age 29. Now I'm 30 years old turning 31 in July. I never been pregnant never had no abortion. Now I want a child and can't even get pregnant. I just don't know what to do. If you know any fertility pills let me know please."

loveme31 July 19, 2015

For Endometrial Hyperplasia, Prophylaxis: "I am 32 y/o, I was diagnosed with polycystic ovaries and always have been very irregular with my periods to the point of going for 5 to 6 months with not even a drop of blood, recently my doctor found abnormal cells in my uterus lining, he prescribed medroxiprogesterone for 3 months 1 pill daily. Am done with the treatment now and during the 3 months I got my period 2 times only but in overall I felt fine no major side effects. I only felt it a little dizziness and a few headaches. I also put on some weight but with exercise I have managed. I feel great and can't wait to see the results of my next biopsy."

Mileybys (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 18, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I'm going on a year and a half on depo. I got on depo because I need a birth control to keep cysts from form on my ovaries and the pill makes me crazy. I've done nothing but lose weight on depo. I'm a small person to being with but I can't gain weight to save my life. I've tried everything. Also my periods were always short and I had clots but the periods weren't heavy. I have one cycle every round of my shot (around the end of the second month) but throughout my whole shot I would get cramps from hell. They would have me in the floor crying almost passing out then I would start bleeding for a day or two. That is on top of already having a period. My boobs are sore almost 24/7 and when I say this shot made me bipolar. I'm done with depo!!"

ChelseaKS July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "The depo shot works very well in terms of pregnancy prevention but the side affects are awful. I first got the shot in November of 2014 and about two weeks after, I started bleeding and have yet to stop eight months later with the exception of a random two weeks. I also get severe cramps and mood swings and not to mention I've spent way too much money on tampons. My doctor said to give it a few months to let my body adjust but it's been a long time and I'm highly considering changing to a different form of birth control."

Jadakissxoxo324 July 16, 2015

Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "I took Provera pills daily to stop my periods to kill the monthly pain. I chose pills over the shot so I could have control of deciding when/if I wanted to stop. I took the pills for 6 months. The first month I had lots of breakthrough bleeding - basically I was slowly bleeding for a few weeks. After that I had no period, no spotting, no cramps - that part was FANTASTIC! However, for me the side effects were severe and unlivable. I had insomnia (waking in the night) every night. I had night sweats every night. I gained a little weight. I had extreme vaginal dryness/painful intercourse which was a first ever for me. My sex drive was non-existent and my acne and facial hair (PCOS) got much worse."

darlastarbuck July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Endometriosis: "I've been taking Depo for about 15 years and it's never given me any negative symptoms. I went on it very young because I had painful abnormal periods. I haven't had any menstral cycles the whole time, which means no pain. I've never struggled with weight gain. My bones are healthy and strong, in fact I've never had a broken bone in my entire life. It's highly effective as a birth control and I am very happy with it."

thunderseed July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I find the depo really good, as im still on it. I've been on it since November 2014 and havnt had my period since, no weight gain besides maybe 2 pounds (not bad at all seeing im only 100 lbs) and havnt had any other side effects. I find its very effective and happy i dont have to worry about ruining more underwear!"

Unknown39 July 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I first had this shot in 1997, I had two but felt sick all the time, my periods did stop though. Came off it and went back on the pill, didn't have a period for a year and a half. In 2000 I decided to give it another go, soon settled down and didn't have any periods at all, stayed on it for 14 years. It was fabulous, no periods or spotting. But, I was suffering from depression which is a side effect of depo I decided to come off it. Started my first period after about 10 days and it lasted about a month and it stank. Had about a weeks break and then bleeding again, thick dark brown clots. In the end I gave up and went back on it, after 3 injections still having random spotting, lasting random amounts of time. Just hope it settles down again"

Bluetaz July 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for : "I started receiving the deposit injection 6 weeks after giving birth in 2011. I had one normal period within that first month and haven't had another since. I didn't notice any side affects during the time I received this medication. I have recently decided to start trying to conceive and skipped my last dose due 3/6/15. Today is 7/13/15.Just within the last week I have had small amounts of bloody discharge. I'm nervous about how long it is going to take my body to get back on track. I can hardly wait to have another baby! During the time I received the deposit injection it did exactly as promised. I will be getting it again after my next pregnancy."

ID83686mommyx2 July 13, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've only had 3 shots from Dec 2014 to my last one may 2015. After the first shot my periods stop completely no pain nothing also took care of my cyst problems. Use to get horribly large cyst that didn't erupt properly or in a timely manner. So that has been really nice not having to go through that pain for weeks. Second shot still going strong no problems, just a little boob soreness at times. Thrid shot here we go - weight gain, lots of hair loss, cramps with bad shooting pain, boob soreness/pain when bending over, brown spotting to heavy brown which I have never in my life have had (I'm 30) for weeks now. Headaches, mood swings-very emotional at times.Going to doctor 7/22/15 I might just get off the shot. #Listen to ur body."

49erluv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "My normal period last four days. I just started the depo shot, and my period stopped for about a month. Two weeks ago I started bleeding, I've been bleeding for 15 days straight! I go in a few weeks to get my next shot. If the bleeding doesn't stop soon, I'm gonna have to go back to the doctor to figure something out. My cousin started the depo before me, her period stopped for a while and then all of a sudden she started bleeding for 12 days straight."

Anonymous July 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I love the depo shot.. I've been on it for over two years now. I have had no period or spotting until about two years on it. I only spot about 4 weeks before my next shot and have had a little bleeding lately. Other than that I really love it. And no weight gain."

Becky86 July 9, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I got this shot bc of a pregnancy scare and it's only been a week but I've had non stop brown spotting. I read about the pill and it said no extreme things. But now I'm reading reviews and I'm totally freaked out and now I can't get out of it. The whole point was so I could have sex with no worries but now I don't have sex bc it would be nasty. So don't do what I did, pay attention to negative reviews!!!!"

Anonymousnzb July 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "This shot has temporarily ruined my life. I am close to my 3 month mark of this shot, which means another dose. I am strongly considering not getting another. I am currently typing this at 4am because I woke up after bleeding through my pad. Not fun. I've been bleeding/spotting for over half of the 3 months. I am always bloated, tired, and emotional. Sex drive gone, not to mention the constant inserting and deserting of tampons dozens of times a day. The only thing i ever see is blood. I'm constantly tired, i dont have the drive to do anything. This shot has consumed my life."

rissacat (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "The amount of characters I can type is limited but my story is long, so I'll shorten it for you. I've almost had the injection for a full year. I have also almost had my period for a full year, August will be the anniversary, and also when I give up on this birth control. Not spotting, a full on period. Upon receiving my last shot, the technician severed a nerve, I've never had a good experience with the administration of this injection. If I do not strictly work out based on how much I eat every single day, I begin to gain immediately. I also have extreme, very extreme body odor, vaginal, oral, the worst is under my arms. It also completely ruined my libido. From start to finish, the experience has been nothing but awful."

cccccccccc July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I started this shot in order to stop my already heavy flow, and it did the complete opposite! Every time that I take the shot, I am period free for a week, and then after that, 3 months of constant bleeding. It was the worst idea ever. Thank goodness that I did not go with the arm implant, I bet that I would have been bleeding for 3 years straight, no breaks!"

MJhane July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I was on the depo for about a year, everything was perfect. Then I had stopped taking birth control, went back on the patch, then I had to go back on the shot. Now, I'm due for my third shot and I've been bleeding for two weeks. Every time I think it's done, I become active with my partner and it all starts coming out again! He and I have been together for a year and a half, so the only good thing about it right now is that I'm not pregnant."

Bee7 July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Birth Control: "I do not recommend this at all, at first it was great because you don't get your period for months and you don't have to worry a lot about condoms but then I realized that cant be good for your body, and when you did get your period after months it lasted a whole month also my bones started to feel weird this shot might be good for a short term thing but not a long term option it will destroy your body im sticking to condoms definitely ..you cant mess with the way your body functions"

Agneris July 6, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone) for Abnormal Uterine Bleeding: "I've been on the shot since I believe December. It sucks! The first two shots were great until the end of the second shot and coming up for my third shot. I started bleeding near the end of March and I think I received my third shot shortly after in April. I am still bleeding! The heaviness of it varies week to week. But it sucks. I've heard it takes a while for the shot to wear off and your cycle to go back to normal after getting off the shot - i don't know how accurate that information is. But personally, I would like to say that if you don't need to take any form of birth control other than medical reasons DON'T! This was a horrible decision on my part. I'm done with Depo."

branlynn June 30, 2015