User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 157 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by Reynaaalee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got the Depo shot in October 2014. It is now February 2015 and I have been either spotting or full on bleeding since then. I can't have sex because I start to bleed as if my period just started. I've been on and off the Depo for 4 years and this is the first time I've had a bad experience with it. I also gained 25 pounds since October, but I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2015 7:13 AM

Review by Lacey11091992:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been taking this shot since October. I've been bleeding non stop since December. It went from a 2 weeks period, to a 2 month period. I've taken Meds to help & nothing! This horrible. It's like I'm on the shot for no reason.

February 19, 2015 3:48 PM

Review by Depo user:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been on the Depo for 13 yrs and it has been great no periods not even spotting but I did however gain a lot of weight and I have experienced headaches but I just stopped because I have been on it to long, it will cause bone loss I probably experienced a lot of the side effects but nothing worse then bleeding and cramping for months at a time I would have definitely go back to it if I could.

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Bec22 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Have been on Depo-Provera almost 3 years since being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis as it is the only contraceptive my consultant could recommend that doesn't allow ovulation. I can honestly say I find no faults with this contraceptive! I get it every 10 weeks as apposed to every 12 weeks to keep it built up and not allow bleeding, I was on the pill version before and it didn't agree with me but the injection has worked wonders! No pain, nausea, anemia or bleeding! My life has changed because of this medication, I would honestly seek professional advice if you found this didn't work for you as it may just be a case of dosage or time span.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

January 30, 2015 9:12 AM

Review by mzdavis:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I received the shot on Nov 22, after having my daughter. It is now Jan 24, and I have been bleeding on and off since receiving the shot.

January 24, 2015 8:27 PM

Review by j_la_:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the shot for about a year and 6 months and am: a). Still having my period irregularly and it will last about 2-3 weeks b). Am on my period now and have been on it so far for 6 weeks

January 6, 2015 1:56 PM

Review by lorissa:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got one shot, September 2013. its now almost January 2014 and I haven't stopped bleeding in over a year!

63 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 27, 2014 10:00 PM

Review by youngna (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been receiving the Depo shot since July 2013. This has been my first and only birth control I've taken and a huge benefit is that I am not worrying about taking a pill. However, for the past 6 months I have experienced spotting. It is not enough blood to need to wear a tampon, however it is very dark blood which stains underwear. This has been extremely frustrating to me and I am now trying to decide what will be my next best option of birth control will be.

December 24, 2014 1:22 AM

Review by breebug001:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I received my first dose of the shot in the beginning of May, and I have been constantly bleeding every since! I was told at after my 3rd shot the bleeding would stop, but it hasn't. I'm considering switching to the pill at the end of this month. I cannot take this bleeding anymore.

92 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

December 6, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by al400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Hi I've been on the shot since the beginning of May. I've been bleeding constantly for 7 months with very frequent headaches. I almost thought I was anemic at one point due to the shot. However it was very effective in preventing pregnancy, but definitely not worth all the other symptoms.

November 30, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by vancesmom:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I first tried the shot a few years ago. I only got one shot. For the very first time it lasted three months so did my period so I stopped. I now have a son and I went back to the Depo shot and my body has seemed to work with it now .. I talked with my doctor and she said that very common and to just go through with the 2nd and 3rd shot. Now I have no period and I don't have to remember to take a pill ... please give it another try

November 17, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by Elaine Carter:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the shot since January and today is my 1st time bleeding. I've been on and off of it for over 14 years and have never had bleeding while on. After getting off at times I've had constant abnormal bleeding until period regulated again.

November 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Lee121212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I thought the shot would be easy due to the fact of taking it every three months compared to the pill taking it everyday, but the shot does not work for my body! I have been bleeding for over a month now. I am going back to the pill.

81 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 5, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by nene91:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I had a miscarriage August 2014 and September 2014 I had got on the shot to help with my periods but its not working. I started my period October 20th 2014 and still bleeding heavy November 5. I have headaches and the cramps are crazy never cramp or bleed this much.

November 5, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Cv73:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been using the Depo for 2 1/2 years now. I noticed during the first year I would spot lightly when I usually got my period and my cramps went away. After the first year my period pretty much went away for the most part. However, when I do occasionally get spotting, it lasts for about 2 weeks and it comes at random times. In the past year I can recall it happening three times. For me it still beats getting reglar periods and it has taken away my horrible cramps so I deal with it. The pill always made me sick no matter what brand I tried so that is another plus with the Depo. But everyone is different and everyone will react differently.

October 27, 2014 10:21 PM

Review by Raven2010:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): My shot ended in August and since then I have been constantly bleeding. I went in and saw a doctor about this issue and they told me to take 3 pain relievers 4 times a day to stop the bleeding. I have tried that and I am still bleeding. I will never get on this shot again. I have been on this shot before and never had issues like this.

71 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

October 4, 2014 9:12 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I started my shot around June of this year and since then I have not stopped bleeding. My doctor is prescribing Nuvaring to put on top of my shot to see if it will stop the bleeding. I will definitely post my results.

September 29, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by key25watkins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I'm approaching the third calendar shot for me and now that I have began to bleed unexpectedly, I've taken the time to evaluate myself. Since beginning the Depo-Provera in February I've noticed a series of uncontrollable headaches as well as a spike in my blood pressure. I was administered a better dosage of hydrochlorothiazide to reduce the effects of this blood pressure spike but immediately proceeding my dosage I started experiencing this unexpected bleeding. Taken a back by such abrupt change this makes me reflect on the changes my body has experienced throughout the short course being administered Depo. I had even began to experience anxiety here and there, not to mention fatigue. Later came the abdominal cramps and pains with vaginal adverse side effect.

September 23, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Pip Nos (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): This shot has caused me so many issues. I got it only once. Before the shot, I had abnormally heavy periods that lasted 6 days, and to be honest I'd rather go back to that. My body has had so many issues. The first month, things were fine. The only issues I had within the first month was headaches and nausea (the nausea got EXTREMELY severe at times, I actually had to grip onto my boyfriend just to get stable or lie on the floor). Then came the second month, EXCESSIVE SPOTTING. I also got major depression and hated everyone. I am currently on my third month of the shot and I am still spotting heavily, and sometimes bleeding. Due to the shot, I am now anemic and facing heading to the ER, but I can't because I do not have insurance.

September 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got Depo-Provera on June 10 at the hospital after giving birth to my daughter. Today is September 15 and I have not stopped bleeding at all! I also have two friends who have the same problem. This shot is terrible!

78 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

September 14, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by Zamora Ivy:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on Depo for 1 year and 5 months and first my periods would last 2 weeks 3 days instead of 5-7 days. After my 3rd shot I had no more periods but lately my last 2 shots I've been spotting due to getting my shots at the 12th week instead of 10-11 week. I've had no complications inspite the 20-25 lbs gain weight from the shot. This September I'm due for another but have decided with my fiance to put a hold on the shots. Just remember ladies everyone's body is different so what may work out for me won't on others if one birth control doesn't cut it for you try another the one that suits you best. Good luck.

September 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I took provera for 7 days for abnormal uterine bleeding it only made the bleeding worse with more clots and gave me the worse headaches ever

September 6, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by Jenniw:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Had the shot once, no bleeding the first two months then the third month a four week long period. Didn't go back (due for another shot May third) and I've pretty much been bleeding/spotting the whole time. April-September and still going strong.

August 22, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Laysha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the shot since April now that I have my second shot. I spotted blood a few times but now there's constant bleeding.

August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by _nonthvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I only had one shot. It lasts 3 months. During those months I got my period the first month & not the other two. Now I came down to Trinidad on vacation before I was able to get my second shot. Now I've been bleeding for 3 months STRAIGHT. I know this is abnormal. I have the worst cramps, & my whole body hurts.

52 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

August 11, 2014 10:30 PM