User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Review Summary

5.3/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the shot since I believe December. It sucks! The first two shots were great until the end of the second shot and coming up for my third shot. I started bleeding near the end of March and I think I received my third shot shortly after in April. I am still bleeding! The heaviness of it varies week to week. But it sucks. I've heard it takes a while for the shot to wear off and your cycle to go back to normal after getting off the shot - i don't know how accurate that information is. But personally, I would like to say that if you don't need to take any form of birth control other than medical reasons DON'T! This was a horrible decision on my part. I'm done with Depo."

branlynn June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Took the shot 6-2014 and was bleeding 2 weeks straight every other week. Then August 2014 i started bleeding again and i have yet to stop. It is now a year today when i first took my shot. I now have another dr and she says after i do a pelvic ultrasound and blood work, she will put me on the pill if everything looks normal. The pill will regulate my cycle after about a month taking it. I really hope it works."

kayla R June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the depo before and my period stopped. Everyone is different. Hope it works for you."

Christine;) June 29, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome at 19 and I'm now 21. I've been on so many medications birth control, hormones for my period from the time I was 8 until now and nothing helps.. I was prescribed Provera about a month ago and my symptoms are nausea (can barely eat anything.. The sight and smell of food makes me sick.), headache (more like a migraine every day.), bloating, sleepiness, tiredness, and breakthrough bleeding. I really don't like this medication except for the whole %u201Cno appetite%u201D thing."

Hajs June 27, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Warning Unless do you want your life turned completely upside down do not take this form of birth control. I have been bleeding for 8 months now. Constant bleeding no breaks in between whatsoever. Do not believe when the doctor tells you after your second or third shot it'll stop. It won't. I've had more than numerous tests done everything's normal. I've been to a specialist twice. Everyone saids your body has to go back to normal on its own which could take up to a year or two. At this point I'm begging them to give me a hysterectomy. I'm only 32 they won't. I've passed out twice already due to low iron because of blood loss. Had a blood transfusion once because the blood loss. Please explore your other options first."

butterflykisses4u (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This was the worst birth control method I've been on. I had a period that lasted 2 weeks. Thankfully my doctor prescribed me back to the pill and now the bleeding has stopped. I also experienced serious mood changes. I was constantly tired and upset. I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched In sweat with a very fast heart beat."

Less lie June 21, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot thinking it would be a good method of birth control and would help my periods stop I hate bleeding but it just made it worst I got the shot April 24th and now its June 20 and I'm still bleeding. I've tried birth control pills it just turned my blood brown but never stopped it then I tried ibuprofen that didn't help either. I'm due for another shot July 27th but I'm not going back to get it. I'm actually looking to get my tubes tied.v It's the best birth control - no injections or craziness or bleeding for days. Putting birth control into my body has ruin it so I'm done I'm just going to get my tubes tied"

so depressed June 20, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My experience on this shot was.. Awful, to say the least. I gained 40 lbs and became extremely depressed, and started having anxiety. I only got the shot 3 times and gained that much weight.. I am now struggling with body image due to this shot. It had a huge effect on my joints as well. I am now weak, always sick, have stomach issues, and am always tired. I never had any of these symptoms before starting it. Not to mention, it didn't help my period at all. I was having if for 3 weeks straight, and a day between then I'd start again. I was perfectly healthy and it has ruined my life. Never take this medicine."

3638indiana June 18, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the depo for over two years now. For the first 9 months I experienced light bleeding/spotting but the doctors told me to continue as it won't be long until my body got used to it. After my third shot the bleeding just stopped completely. It is best to carry on with it because I haven't had a period in over a year, just occasional spotting every couple of months if that. Weight gain was a problem for me but I'm not overweight and I can lose if I stick to a healthy diet. Other than that I've had no problem with the depo, it's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Once you get past the months of bleeding you don't have to worry about a thing. :)"

Kxoxo June 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Absolutely the worst decision I have ever made! Got the shot to March 13 to straighten out my hormones. Was on my period when I got the shot. Stopped a week later. April 4th I started again. It is now June 8 and I have not stopped! Plus, I am crankier than before and VERY emotional! I am due for my second shot and I refuse to get it! This is absolutely ridiculous!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got on the shot on October 7th 2014, I thought it would end my periods but I ended up bleeding everyday for six months straight. My third shot that I had got on April 8th 2015 ended the bleeding for about a month and a half and now I'm bleeding again and this time I'm having cramps as if I'm on my period. My next shot is on July 8th and I will not be going through with it. The depo shot just ruins your body, I hate it"

NessaVWiseman June 6, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got on the depo not only for prevention of pregnancy but also everyone I know stopped getting their periods. How awesome is that! I was very skeptical about it because everyone I knew either gained an excessive amount of weight or just were not able to loose at all. My experience was great for my first shot, I got my period once throughout the 3 months and I was still able to loose weight without any issues. My problem started when I got my second shot. About 2 weeks after receiving the shot I got my period which was fine but that was April 9th and it is now June 4th and I still have. It's not a heavy flow at all mostly just spotting and clotting. Will not be receiving 3rd shot. I want sex!! If the bleeding wasn't so much I'd continue."

AssahAmor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my first shot April 28th 2015. My period was supposed to come May 10th and didn't.. It was a week late and I've been bleeding and spotting ever since. I have bad mood swings and get mad over absolutely nothing. I get cramps all day every day and it's it so horrible. It's been almost 3 straight weeks of bleeding sometimes heavily and other times just spotting. I don't know if it even protects against pregnancy because you can't have sex if you're constantly bleeding! I would NOT recommend this to anyone, ever. I have an appointment with my ob/gyn on Tuesday so I hope there is some kind of solution since I have to ride this out til the end of next month!"

Cassiiii June 4, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on the depo for 1 n a half years, got off in Feburary. started my period march. It's now June 4 and still bleeding! I hate this b.c!"

a.b913 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "By the time I got my third shot, all hell broke. I've been bleeding non-stop, was given Orsythia to stop the bleeding and that didn't work. After having a blissful time on the shot, now my body is rejecting it I guess. I won't be taking a fourth shot."

NJC1991 June 3, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on the Depo Vera for 4 years. It prevents pregnancy and I didn't have to worry about taking any meds or what not. But if I didn't take the depo right when it was due I would spot like crazy. I decided to stop because it just wasn't normal. I stop taking the depo vera (Feb-16-2015) it is now (June-3-2015) I'm still bleeding. My sex life is a wreck me and my boyfriend just deal with it because I will not suffer because of this lol. My advice don't do it. It's horrible and it really messes up your mensual cycle."

TiffAla June 3, 2015

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been bleeding profusely (clots, steady bleeding) for a year and a half - yes 18 months!! I have seen 2 different OB-GYNs. I am 46 and have fibroid tumors and ovarian cysts. Both doctors have used the "try this and see" approach and I have been given Provera, Depo Shots, and Beyaz birth control. None of these have stopped the bleeding. After taking the Beyaz last December, my blood sugar level rose to 450 and it took a month to get it back to normal. Of course, now I am considered a diabetic and have to take Metformin every day despite the fact that I was not diabetic or prediabetic before then. It is ridiculous that these doctors will not consider a permanent treatment option!"

AngelK69 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 3, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm so upset got the depo shot at the end of January started bleeding Feb.10th here it is May 31st and I'm still bleeding"

Juice35 May 31, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the DEPO shot on 30 December 2014 and I started bleeding on 29 January, it is now 30 May 2015 and I have not stopped bleeding. I now have Anemia due to the blood loss. Do not get this shot. It is terrible! One thing is for sure, you will not get pregnant because you will not have a sex life."

DESIRE24 May 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I loved the idea of taking one shot and not having to deal with pills. The birth control pills never worked for me, they made me sick and did not prevent pregnancy. I've had 4 shots so far, the 1st one was great, I had no period for the first month, but then the second month I had heavy bleeding and what my doctor described to me as "my vaginal wall falling out of my body" it was horrifying, I will spear you the details but needles to say it scared the crap out of me. I continued with my shots, listening to my doctor, she told me that my body just had to get used to the shot. I'm due for a shot next week and I've decided to go w/o the shot has caused me mood swings, bleeding uncontrollably etc. no more depo!! It's horrible"

Sick of depo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) May 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started the depo provera on June 20 2014 this was going to be my first time on birth control and I thought this would be a easy way, not having to worry about taking a pill daily and I heard eventually it will stop your period to begin with. Boy was I ever wrong.. when I started the depo I got the shot while I was on my period so it ended like it was suppose to be the next month (July) my period came early and it did not stop till September. It was the WORST choice I've ever made. My whole summer was ruined because my period was so heavy I went through depression which I never have before! I did not get another shot! I'm glad I made the choice to stop now over a year later my body is back to normal thank god"

karbear2015 May 29, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Had to get an abortion just over a month ago. Wanted to use a different birth control because I started getting very sick after years of taking the pill. Depo seemed to be working fine for the first couple weeks. Then all the sudden I notice I am angry at almost everything. The next minute severely depressed. Yelling at my significant other for no reason. I already had mood swings before, and now its horrifying. I've gained weight and feel awful about it. I just got my first spotting last week. I'll bleed a lot. Then a little. Just waiting for it to end. Bad cramps everyday. I knew I shouldn't have tried this method, but the pill makes me sick to my stomach. Not doing depo again, have to figure out something else... Again!"

Hoest (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 26, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Worsed birth control ever I got it jan12 it's April 25 today still bleeding two months now straight every day all day. first it was brown and black color no cramp. Then last week I had very bad cramps and passed a blood clot the size of a golf ball now I have bad cramps and bright red blood, tired all the time hemoglobin at 11.6 I'm due for the second shot first week of may2015 I will never do this to my body again. Everyone in my house is suffering my husdan, kids and myself"

AngelRay368 May 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Worst decision ever!! Got depo shot after 6wks postpartum thinking it was the most convenient birth control method. Oh, so wrong. Got it 4-17-15, started bleeding 5-1-15, a month after I am still bleeding. Limited sex due to period bleeding, it's not pretty. Terrible mood swings. Increased cravings for sweets and junk food, dizziness, very tired and sleepy. Well its a horror story. I am not going back for a 2nd shot, no way. I will never get another shot of this medicine that transformed me in to a non stop bleeding witch."

patty602 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on Depo from the ages of 17-21 with absolutely NO problems, NO bleeding, it stopped my periods completely, NO side effects. I went back on the depo August 2013 (currently ages 25-27) and have been getting the shots every 3 months on the first date they are due. I have been spotting/bleeding almost the whole time. When I have sex it seems to make me bleed more. Everything has been ruled out and its just been blamed as a side effect of the Depo from my doctor. I also managed to get pregnant and have a miscarriage while on the shot/on time with each due date. The longer I am on this the more side effects I am starting to get (acne, SEVERE depression, anxiety, and mood swings.) I recommend for younger only."

tiredofbleeding (taken for 5 to 10 years) May 24, 2015