User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Review Summary

5.1/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "After the birth of our son, my husband and I decided that the shot would be our best option. Didn't have to take a pill every day and no periods. So on July 18 2014 I had my first shot. I began soaking through 12 to 28 tampons daily. I was hospitalized for that, and once again for a fainting episode due to anemia. I never went back for my second shot. It is now just over a year later. I am still bleeding. My husband and I haven't had sex for a year because of the intensity of the pain and bleeding. I have tried everything from soy isoflavones, to ibuprofen and iron, to estrogen therapy, to other forms of birth control. They say I have to let it wear off, but it's so bad that I have trouble caring for my child because of fatigue."

Memphis' Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have bled for 7 months straight since I took a shot of depo provera. I started bleeding 2 weeks after for 7 months. I have finished over 100 tablets of tanxeric acid to help stop the bleeding at different times. The bleeding reduces when am on the tablet and continues after 5 days. I regret ever taking depo provera. Am still praying for the bleeding to stop. I know am at the last stages before the side effect completely leaves my body. 1 more month to make it 8 months if it continues I will look for any available option to completely stop it. My Doctor didn't tell me the side effects before I took the shot. I've been on iron every day for 7 months. I also take multivitamin and vitamin C. This is a horrible experience for me.NEVER AGAIN!"

Splenn July 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I went on the depo in May '15 and just about due for my next dose. I like to have a positive outlook on life but my experience with depo has been dreadful! The evening I got it I started getting severe bug like stomach cramps, shivering and felt really unwell, this lasted for just over 2 weeks. Then about a week later I started bleeding and have yet to stop, on top of that, I've been losing weight, nausea, very sore breasts, bad cramping, low mood, fatigue, loss of appetite, strong sense of smell and taste (even gone off foods I used to love - almost feel pregnant in a way!) lots of migraines and over all feel very unwell. Doctor said I've just got to wait it out. Worst decision ever - never again!"

Raeily (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm going on a year and a half on depo. I got on depo because I need a birth control to keep cysts from form on my ovaries and the pill makes me crazy. I've done nothing but lose weight on depo. I'm a small person to being with but I can't gain weight to save my life. I've tried everything. Also my periods were always short and I had clots but the periods weren't heavy. I have one cycle every round of my shot (around the end of the second month) but throughout my whole shot I would get cramps from hell. They would have me in the floor crying almost passing out then I would start bleeding for a day or two. That is on top of already having a period. My boobs are sore almost 24/7 and when I say this shot made me bipolar. I'm done with depo!!"

ChelseaKS July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "The depo shot works very well in terms of pregnancy prevention but the side affects are awful. I first got the shot in November of 2014 and about two weeks after, I started bleeding and have yet to stop eight months later with the exception of a random two weeks. I also get severe cramps and mood swings and not to mention I've spent way too much money on tampons. My doctor said to give it a few months to let my body adjust but it's been a long time and I'm highly considering changing to a different form of birth control."

Jadakissxoxo324 July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I first had this shot in 1997, I had two but felt sick all the time, my periods did stop though. Came off it and went back on the pill, didn't have a period for a year and a half. In 2000 I decided to give it another go, soon settled down and didn't have any periods at all, stayed on it for 14 years. It was fabulous, no periods or spotting. But, I was suffering from depression which is a side effect of depo I decided to come off it. Started my first period after about 10 days and it lasted about a month and it stank. Had about a weeks break and then bleeding again, thick dark brown clots. In the end I gave up and went back on it, after 3 injections still having random spotting, lasting random amounts of time. Just hope it settles down again"

Bluetaz July 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've only had 3 shots from Dec 2014 to my last one may 2015. After the first shot my periods stop completely no pain nothing also took care of my cyst problems. Use to get horribly large cyst that didn't erupt properly or in a timely manner. So that has been really nice not having to go through that pain for weeks. Second shot still going strong no problems, just a little boob soreness at times. Thrid shot here we go - weight gain, lots of hair loss, cramps with bad shooting pain, boob soreness/pain when bending over, brown spotting to heavy brown which I have never in my life have had (I'm 30) for weeks now. Headaches, mood swings-very emotional at times.Going to doctor 7/22/15 I might just get off the shot. #Listen to ur body."

49erluv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My normal period last four days. I just started the depo shot, and my period stopped for about a month. Two weeks ago I started bleeding, I've been bleeding for 15 days straight! I go in a few weeks to get my next shot. If the bleeding doesn't stop soon, I'm gonna have to go back to the doctor to figure something out. My cousin started the depo before me, her period stopped for a while and then all of a sudden she started bleeding for 12 days straight."

Anonymous July 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This shot has temporarily ruined my life. I am close to my 3 month mark of this shot, which means another dose. I am strongly considering not getting another. I am currently typing this at 4am because I woke up after bleeding through my pad. Not fun. I've been bleeding/spotting for over half of the 3 months. I am always bloated, tired, and emotional. Sex drive gone, not to mention the constant inserting and deserting of tampons dozens of times a day. The only thing i ever see is blood. I'm constantly tired, i dont have the drive to do anything. This shot has consumed my life."

rissacat (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started this shot in order to stop my already heavy flow, and it did the complete opposite! Every time that I take the shot, I am period free for a week, and then after that, 3 months of constant bleeding. It was the worst idea ever. Thank goodness that I did not go with the arm implant, I bet that I would have been bleeding for 3 years straight, no breaks!"

MJhane July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on the depo for about a year, everything was perfect. Then I had stopped taking birth control, went back on the patch, then I had to go back on the shot. Now, I'm due for my third shot and I've been bleeding for two weeks. Every time I think it's done, I become active with my partner and it all starts coming out again! He and I have been together for a year and a half, so the only good thing about it right now is that I'm not pregnant."

Bee7 July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the shot since I believe December. It sucks! The first two shots were great until the end of the second shot and coming up for my third shot. I started bleeding near the end of March and I think I received my third shot shortly after in April. I am still bleeding! The heaviness of it varies week to week. But it sucks. I've heard it takes a while for the shot to wear off and your cycle to go back to normal after getting off the shot - i don't know how accurate that information is. But personally, I would like to say that if you don't need to take any form of birth control other than medical reasons DON'T! This was a horrible decision on my part. I'm done with Depo."

branlynn June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Took the shot 6-2014 and was bleeding 2 weeks straight every other week. Then August 2014 i started bleeding again and i have yet to stop. It is now a year today when i first took my shot. I now have another dr and she says after i do a pelvic ultrasound and blood work, she will put me on the pill if everything looks normal. The pill will regulate my cycle after about a month taking it. I really hope it works."

kayla R June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the depo before and my period stopped. Everyone is different. Hope it works for you."

Christine;) June 29, 2015

"I was diagnosed with Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome at 19 and I'm now 21. I've been on so many medications birth control, hormones for my period from the time I was 8 until now and nothing helps.. I was prescribed Provera about a month ago and my symptoms are nausea (can barely eat anything.. The sight and smell of food makes me sick.), headache (more like a migraine every day.), bloating, sleepiness, tiredness, and breakthrough bleeding. I really don't like this medication except for the whole %u201Cno appetite%u201D thing."

Hajs June 27, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Warning Unless do you want your life turned completely upside down do not take this form of birth control. I have been bleeding for 8 months now. Constant bleeding no breaks in between whatsoever. Do not believe when the doctor tells you after your second or third shot it'll stop. It won't. I've had more than numerous tests done everything's normal. I've been to a specialist twice. Everyone saids your body has to go back to normal on its own which could take up to a year or two. At this point I'm begging them to give me a hysterectomy. I'm only 32 they won't. I've passed out twice already due to low iron because of blood loss. Had a blood transfusion once because the blood loss. Please explore your other options first."

butterflykisses4u (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This was the worst birth control method I've been on. I had a period that lasted 2 weeks. Thankfully my doctor prescribed me back to the pill and now the bleeding has stopped. I also experienced serious mood changes. I was constantly tired and upset. I would wake up in the middle of the night drenched In sweat with a very fast heart beat."

Less lie June 21, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot thinking it would be a good method of birth control and would help my periods stop I hate bleeding but it just made it worst I got the shot April 24th and now its June 20 and I'm still bleeding. I've tried birth control pills it just turned my blood brown but never stopped it then I tried ibuprofen that didn't help either. I'm due for another shot July 27th but I'm not going back to get it. I'm actually looking to get my tubes tied.v It's the best birth control - no injections or craziness or bleeding for days. Putting birth control into my body has ruin it so I'm done I'm just going to get my tubes tied"

so depressed June 20, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My experience on this shot was.. Awful, to say the least. I gained 40 lbs and became extremely depressed, and started having anxiety. I only got the shot 3 times and gained that much weight.. I am now struggling with body image due to this shot. It had a huge effect on my joints as well. I am now weak, always sick, have stomach issues, and am always tired. I never had any of these symptoms before starting it. Not to mention, it didn't help my period at all. I was having if for 3 weeks straight, and a day between then I'd start again. I was perfectly healthy and it has ruined my life. Never take this medicine."

3638indiana June 18, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the depo for over two years now. For the first 9 months I experienced light bleeding/spotting but the doctors told me to continue as it won't be long until my body got used to it. After my third shot the bleeding just stopped completely. It is best to carry on with it because I haven't had a period in over a year, just occasional spotting every couple of months if that. Weight gain was a problem for me but I'm not overweight and I can lose if I stick to a healthy diet. Other than that I've had no problem with the depo, it's really not as bad as people are making it out to be. Once you get past the months of bleeding you don't have to worry about a thing. :)"

Kxoxo June 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Absolutely the worst decision I have ever made! Got the shot to March 13 to straighten out my hormones. Was on my period when I got the shot. Stopped a week later. April 4th I started again. It is now June 8 and I have not stopped! Plus, I am crankier than before and VERY emotional! I am due for my second shot and I refuse to get it! This is absolutely ridiculous!"

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) June 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got on the shot on October 7th 2014, I thought it would end my periods but I ended up bleeding everyday for six months straight. My third shot that I had got on April 8th 2015 ended the bleeding for about a month and a half and now I'm bleeding again and this time I'm having cramps as if I'm on my period. My next shot is on July 8th and I will not be going through with it. The depo shot just ruins your body, I hate it"

NessaVWiseman June 6, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got on the depo not only for prevention of pregnancy but also everyone I know stopped getting their periods. How awesome is that! I was very skeptical about it because everyone I knew either gained an excessive amount of weight or just were not able to loose at all. My experience was great for my first shot, I got my period once throughout the 3 months and I was still able to loose weight without any issues. My problem started when I got my second shot. About 2 weeks after receiving the shot I got my period which was fine but that was April 9th and it is now June 4th and I still have. It's not a heavy flow at all mostly just spotting and clotting. Will not be receiving 3rd shot. I want sex!! If the bleeding wasn't so much I'd continue."

AssahAmor (taken for 6 months to 1 year) June 5, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my first shot April 28th 2015. My period was supposed to come May 10th and didn't.. It was a week late and I've been bleeding and spotting ever since. I have bad mood swings and get mad over absolutely nothing. I get cramps all day every day and it's it so horrible. It's been almost 3 straight weeks of bleeding sometimes heavily and other times just spotting. I don't know if it even protects against pregnancy because you can't have sex if you're constantly bleeding! I would NOT recommend this to anyone, ever. I have an appointment with my ob/gyn on Tuesday so I hope there is some kind of solution since I have to ride this out til the end of next month!"

Cassiiii June 4, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on the depo for 1 n a half years, got off in Feburary. started my period march. It's now June 4 and still bleeding! I hate this b.c!"

a.b913 (taken for 1 to 2 years) June 4, 2015