User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

3.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 144 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Started depo in Nov 2015 Wasn't too bad at first but I did get the occasional spotting and bleeding.Which sucked because it always happened when I went to see my bf(long distance relationship) Got my 2nd shot and the doctor said after this the bleeding should stop. A day later no bleeding. I was like great. Went to Jamaica in April. 2nd day im there, I start getting these cramps so I decide to go to the bathroom and check and wtf do I see? Blood. Since April 19th I have not stopped bleeding. It's now May 26th. It does say that if the bleeding persists for more than 14 straight days, to contact your doctor. Which I did He said that this wasn't for me at all and I'll be switching to the pill."

Kori33 May 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Horrible I've had my period for 8 months still have it after getting my first shot in November 2015."

Emilyann0317 May 20, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Last September I went to the OB-GYN for my heavy bleeding because I am tired of taking birth control and other meds. They prescribed me with Provera in an attempt to prolong my "dry time". It seemed to work for about 2 months and then suddenly I began having issues with even heavier bleeding, passing large clots, and shorter cycles (18-21 days). This continued until March of this year, when I bled so heavily I had to be put in the hospital for an emergency D&C and had to have a blood transfusion (3 units). Now I continually have issues with hemorrhaging. The Provera made an already bad situation worse. Now it looks like I may have to pursue surgical options as a result. If you are wondering whether or not to take Provera, DON'T!!"

RP0925 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 19, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "i got the depo shot a month ago and its been the worst experience of my life! i havent stopped bleeding, i have horrible mood swings, im always depressed, im losing weight and its basically ruining my life. i hate this shot, its side effect are horrible. i do not recomment it all!"

leah27 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 18, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 18 and I started the depo shot on March 1, 2016. The shot was wonderful all the way up to May. What they say is true. The first two months were great, but now I've been heavily bleeding for 2 1/2 weeks. Because I suffer from migraines, I can't take "normal" birth control. The progestin ones only. So I was only offered 3 options: the depo shot, pills that caused me to have 3 periods in one month, or a foreign object in my arm. I'm totally done with birth control which sucks. I want to have a baby sometime in my life, so I don't want the decisions I make now to affect my fertility in the upcoming years. I would NOT recommend the depo shot. The negatives HEAVILY outweigh the goods."

Madison18 (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 15, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the depo shot January 2nd 2016 after repeated miscarriage to allow myself time to heal before trying to conceive again. I have now bleed for over 5 MONTHS! Non stop! I've gone to reproductive clinic which is costing a fortune just trying to stop the bleeding with progesterone treatment and nothing is working! My work up is normal no thyroid issue or other causes. It is the depo shot , I wasn't told by my pcp that this could happen! I will never be able to conceive like this. I feel so robbed . I had one shot only"

5 months of agony (taken for less than 1 month) May 12, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "So my doctor put me on the shot after a hormone treatment stopped working. I had heavy periods and unbEarable cramps. The depo shot worked really well for the first two shots. I only had bleeding when it was time for a shot. After my third shot I hVe had not stop bleeding. I think I'm going to try one more shot and see if anything changes. Other then the bleeding I have had almost not side effects. I have lost weight since going on it. Overall I think it worth it."

Anonymous (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 11, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Depo is the worst decision i made in my life i got my first shot feb 2016 and its now may 2016 and im still bleeding . im angry everyday because of the bleeding it will not freaking stop . i want to have sex again but i cant but i will be going in to the doctors to tell them i want the pill and if they deny im going to planned parent hood to get the pill there . depo is the worst thing ever id rather not be on anything ."

candy47 May 10, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm only writing this in response to the numerous complaints of bleeding for months after receiving the Depo shot. When I went in to get mine, after much research on my part (I'd been on the pill before and it completely did not work for me), I had been told about 5 times that the MOST COMMON side effect of this form on birth control is bleeding/spotting for up to a YEAR. I was given my options and understood the risks and side effects. So for people who are surprised or upset about this, maybe your provider was not clear enough or you yourself did not do enough research, but it is a very well known and common side effect. As with many things, you need to let your body get used to it."

EM34 May 2, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This birth control is the worst ever. Why would doctors even allow something like this to be on the market. Non stop bleeding forever!!!!!!!! Your whole life stops!! Please remove it!"

Mzannoyed (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my first depo shot the beginning of March. After a week I started bleeding with ceasing. I had to buy depends because the bleeding was so heavy. I've gained 15 pounds since received the shot. I called my doc and got the whole it's a common side effect . I started research and came up with ibuprofen therapy. 3 800 mg a day for 3 days. I also read about birth control pills will stop it as well. I started the ibuprofen Friday and it stopped. Saturday I wiped and it was a little pink. I continued to ibuprofen Saturday all day no bleeding in Sunday it was a oil pinkish. I took a birth control pill Sunday. Monday which is today no bleeding no pink just a lil brown. Took a bc pill this morning no pink no brown so far."

Lady lj (taken for 1 to 6 months) May 2, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had the depo injection last year and everything was fine, no periods or nothing. Went back this year in March 2016 for the first shot. Had 2 months with out anything periods but all of a sudden I'm having light spotted bleed go and some days they are heavy. It's happened for 6 days now.. Is this normal?"

Lauren 2014 April 30, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot in February 2016 I have been bleeding for 1 month and a half.. This is beyond out of control!!! I'll be getting the pill next week so I can still have a sex life"

Anonymous April 29, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Received first Depo shot in September 2015 began constant bleeding right after. The bleeding varies from light most of the time & sometimes heavy almost like a regular period. It is now April 28, 2016 & I am STILL bleeding. I never recieved second shot. I'm in touch with my doctors who are deciding what to do. I've read I may have to have a DNC which I do not like. I already have pre-cancer cells on my cervix & have to have regular biopsies to monitor it but since the bleeding I have not been able to do any of that. I DO NOT recommend this shot to anyone. The risk & complications for is greater than benefits in my opinion. Try another birth control. *Depo should be taken off the market*"

NikkiiH April 28, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been prescribed Provera as I get heavy period for a day then the rest of days r normal. After examine, Dr found cyst and have become large. So she has prescribed for 24 days two tablets in morning and two in the evening. I don't know whether this medicine would remove cyst or become small in size."

Janiyabaniya April 25, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "When I first got the depo shot everything was wonderful. I went 2.5 months with no weight gain nor bleeding. Then the bleeding came the last three weeks. Then I went to take the second shot on march 3rd and I still havent stopped bleeding til this day April 21. So I've been bleeding more than TEN WEEKS! In the past two weeks they have been the heaviest where I've been messing up my undies cause it happens at sporatic times of the day. Like for example I would wake up with a clean pad, take a shower go about half my day then out of no where while I'm out I'd be bleeding. I'm already very anemic and going through this isn't helping my condition. I called my gyn's office and they NEVER got back to me and its been over a week."

Katieholmezz April 21, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started depo last month of this year the first month was cool but this month got my period not to heavy but been bleeding for almost 2 weeks now don't think I'll get the second shot from what I'm seeing with the reviews thinking of the pill even though it's to late for me now"

Beginner1989 April 20, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my first Depo Provera injection at the beginning of January 2016. Within the first week I started bleeding, and have now been bleeding everyday since. The bleeding goes from light to heavy, not too bad for cramps. I also have suffered vaginal dryness which has been incredibly uncomfortable. My doctor and I decided for me to go on depo due to me having suspected endometriosis. I did research about depo for a month before hand but I completely regret my decision. I have also lost a lot of hair, been feeling stressed and feeling down and severe acne that has scarred my skin. My doctor encouraged me to get a second shot with the promise of it calming things down but I refused, it has ruined how I feel about myself and wasted money on pads"

AmJackson (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 16, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have had the first shot of depo and I bleed for 2 months strait I went to the gyno and they had to get the layer of decayed uterin wall and the gyno advised me not get on the depo shot anymore because he's had to many women come in with the same problem. So I would advise get the rod in your arm it's strictly progestin just like depo but you don't have any bleeding at all"

Sidgarrett (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 9, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the depo injection in August 2015. After a week I started spotting which continued until my next injection in November. The GP said the bleeding would stop soon after I had the next injection so I agreed and get shot number 2. I continued to bleed into February 2016 and decided not to get a third injection. I continued to bleed after 2 weeks so went on the pill. This stopped the bleeding but the pill gave me migraines (which is the reason I went on depo) so I stopped taking it after a month. And within the week I was bleeding again. It's now April 2016 and I'M STILL BLEEDING! When is it going to stop?! I went to the gp for blood tests and I'm now low in iron because I've basically been bleeding for 6 WHOLE MONTHS."

AuroraB (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 7, 2016

"My period started Feb 12-25 (spotting and some bleeding) then they started back March 1-2-3 (spotting). Then March 10-21. On March 19 I was passing blood clots (big like 4 x 4 inches). I called 911 and was brought to the hospital where I was admitted for 10 hours. Then the bleeding started back on March 24-31. And now April 1 - 6. Today is blood clots with heavy cramping. I have been taking Medroxy 2.5 mg 1 at bedtime since March 19."

MonLu April 6, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have beeon the depo since sept 2015 and i have been bleeding since (6 months) it has gotten out of control. I have to have an ultrasound done this week to make sure everything is ok. I will not be getting my mext injection."

Heather W (taken for 1 to 6 months) April 5, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been on the Depo shot for roughly 3 1/2 years, until recently, I've had NO problems. The only tough part would be the week before the next shot, and the shot itself. Usually, about 1 week before my next shot, I would spot, nothing to messy or horrible, just very inconvenient for me. But ever since I missed my shot when I went to Sweden, shit has gotten real bad! Not only do I bleed 2-3 weeks prior my shot, but the flow can range from light to extreme heavy!!! This flow does not stop, no, not until 2 weeks AFTER the shot, does the faucet completely turn off. My recommendation, if it's working for you, do NOT miss your Depo shot appointment!!! I believe that's where everything went wrong!!"

LynnBear April 3, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started depo mid Feb, I'm 38, can't have kids, but due to a work injury, my periods were aggravating my back pain. My period lasted 12 days. I then stopped bleeding, missed a period and was stoked thinking it was working...nope..for the last 37 days I have been bleeding. I had a scan, found a 3x7mm polyp and found that my uterus had backflipped and my endometrial wall was thick. I've just had my second shot, the doctor said 2 or 3 days and the bleeding should stop. Fingers are crossed, but I don't have high hopes, I'm looking into getting my uterus removed...that's how miserable the prolonged bleeding has made me. On the flip side though, my 19yo daughter got the injection the same day as me and has had no dramas what so ever."

Specialbeck April 1, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Had depo for 2 years. Found it was great within those two years, then decided to give body a break and got last injection in September 2015 and only start getting period back. But anyway the end of February I got thrush for 9 days. Then got my first period 9th March for 2 weeks and straight after that I got thrush AGAIN immediately after them finishing up until yesterday (30th April) and woke up with period yet again this morning. And god knows for how long"

Carlyoh March 31, 2016