User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Rating Summary

4.2/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 145 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was given the depo shot on December 12th. My next Cycle should of started around January 12th. They have been pretty consistent for years. Even though my cycle started on time I have been bleeding more than a month. I usually bleed for 7 days with 3-4 of them really heavy and I had a lot of pain where I couldn't even walk. Now I have been spotting the majority of this month with light bleeding. I have only had 1 heavy day and that was after intercourse when I thought my spotting was stopped. This messing with my sex life and I'm tired of walking around with a pad or pantie liner on. I hope it gets better over the next 2 months or I will not be getting a second shot. I haven't had any side major side effects."

Kimmy40bbbb February 8, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on depo before I had my first child 3 years ago then stopped, I had regular periods then. I recently had another baby July 2015 and got my depo shot October 2015. The first couple weeks were fine no bleeding. I got my first period after the shot November 28 and it didn't go off until December 14. My menstraul came on again January 8th 2016 and today is February 7th 2016 and I am STILL BLEEDING! Almost A MONTH STRAIGHT. I'm so frustrated and going through pads like crazy. I'm due for my next shot tomorrow but I doubt I will be making that appointment. Depo is really making me miserable."

JM80 February 7, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Got the shot in December 2015 was fine until I was due for my period in January. Spotting started and after sex it would get worst. It kept going through the whole period and ovulation, till about a week ago when it stopped. Today I'm due for my next period. Don't know if it'll started again or if I'm good or not. I will not be continuing with the shot. I'm hoping I can find a good birth control pill instead."

Kori32 February 6, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the Depo shot in Aug. of 2015. My husband had just gotten home from the army and we did not want children until I finished college. The 1st shot cycle I did not get my period but we were still using other forms of contraceptive just in case. During the 2nd shot cycle I started lightly spotting but the doctor told me that was normal. I noticed the spotting was not going away throughout the entire 3 months and decided I did not want to go in and get my 3rd shot. I had gained weight, was irritable, and my sex drive had significantly decreased and was beginning to take a toll on my marriage. It has now been exactly 32 days since I should have gotten the 3rd shot and I am still bleeding extremely heavily, everyday and absolutely miserable."

Emy15 February 5, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Started the depo shot in May 2015 haven't had another shot since and still dealing with constant sometimes very very heavy periods and its February 2016...7 MONTHS!"

WarningInPain February 4, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have been bleeding for 5 months now. I only got one shot and ever since I didn't get the second its been non stop heavy bleeding for two months. All I can ask is when is the bleeding and depression and headaches stop."

This bcontrol sucks February 3, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "First few months was great! No bleeding, no worries, just safe sex... Then I took my third shot... I started spotting then I was just like a regular period every single day! My vagina smelled no matter how much I washed up, sex was always a mess to clean up, and really the sight of blood from down there is absolutely disgusting! My sisters told me I could become anaemic due to the blood loss and iron decrease in my body! Sure I feel fine despite the fact that I'm always bleeding but in the long run it wasn't helping me and being a vegetarian didn't make it any better! Anyways I'm deciding to switch to the pill I'm not sure how this is gonna work... Don't know if the bleeding will stop.. I just hope I won't be bleeding everyday!"

Nancebot February 2, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Well my period stopped for two months. And then came back on in nov of last year and has been ever since with heavy flowing. My doctor prescribe provera for 10 days and after I was finish it came back on and much more. So I'm trying provera the second time and hope for the best."

Babypfat (taken for less than 1 month) February 1, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): ""Birth control will relieve cramps!" she said. Initially she put me on a combination pill and all was fine until I had an allergic reaction. She thought putting me on this darn shot would be a better idea and I trusted her. All was fine for about a month until I started to feel physically repulsive. Mind you, this has never been an issue with me. My breasts look like nubs i. e. lost their perkiness and my stomach looks like I ingested an entire inflated balloon. I also have chest acne which has never been a problem for me, even as a teen. I constantly feel disgusted with myself. Is it in my head? Maybe, but I hate feeling gross all the time. My boyfriend is still weirdly attracted to me. I refuse to get this again."

Aherne January 31, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the shot since december 17th 2015 and I started bleeding on the 3rd of janurary and I havent stopped yet idk what to do"

tbabytutu January 31, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had my first deposit injection 22/01/16 when my 3rd baby was 13 weeks old, I had already been 3 days into a period and came off the day after. Sunday night I started bleeding really heavy and dark with tiny clots. I've been on and off, really heavy to really light everyday, I know it's only 8 days but I had just had a period so no need for bleeding. Really annoyed as last time I used the depo almost 4 years ago I had phantom movements and felt pregnant all the time so has taken me this long to give it another go and it's not going great from the off!!"

H_M89 (taken for less than 1 month) January 30, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I took DEPO around June 12th of 2015, and the effects are still lasting. After being off depo for about 6 months my periods are absolutely crazy, I have one every two weeks that's super heavy. Not only the but while on depo I was super depressed and I was almost to the point of suicidal, which I never have been before. It works well from protection from pregnancy however, within those three months I had unprotected sex over 10 times and did not get pregnant. But I do NOT recommend depo for anyone. It honestly messes with your period cycle for such a long awful time, I regret it immensely."

I hate depo (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 28, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My first Depo injection was August 16th 2015. After one month of being on the shot I began to have light pink bleeding then a few days later it turned into heavy bleeding for two weeks. It eventually stopped but about two weeks before I was due for my next shot (Nov 7 2015) I began to bleed heavily again! I got the injection and after about a week the bleeding stopped. I bleed for two weeks every 5 weeks or so. Now I've just received my third injection (January 26 2016) and the bleeding has stopped but it continues to come back. I've been on Depo for a total of 5 months. It's helped a lot with cramps but being on my period is not nice to deal with all the time :("

JordanAsia (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 28, 2016

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 42 years old. I'm diagnosed with hypothyroidism. I've been stuggling with this for 20 years, right after I had my son. I was recently diagnosed with PCOS. I went to the doctor because I had constant bleeding, spotting, cramps, etc. The Gyn made some tests and I got polyps on my upper side of the uterus. I went for a surgery, and got them out. To reduce the bleeding, the Dr prescribed Provera. Took the pill as told, got my period after 7 day. First days were fine, but the last 5 of them were heavy, with clots...It was horrible, but it helped me to stop the abnormal bleeding. Before the treatment, I was very depressed, just by not been able to leave the house without a pad,was stressful. Now, I can have my life back!"

Living Hope (taken for 6 months to 1 year) January 27, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I received the shot 20 days ago and have been bleeding every day since! My doctor gave me pills after me having my period for 2 weeks and said it would stop my period. All that did was make it lighter. I am supposed to take the pills for 10 days. So far it has been 9 and I am still bleeding. I will not get this again! I only got it because of the nausea I would get from the pills I was on before and my heavy periods and bad cramps. But this is not worth it!"

K07 January 24, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on Depo for 2 and a half years. My shot was due Dec 4th 2015. I decided not to get it any longer. I been spotting on it on and off for the entire 2yrs. My Gyne made me get an ultrasound back in October everything checked out fine. Every time I use to have sex with my BF afterwards I would always bleed very lightly. I decided not to get my last shot that was due in Dec 2015. Of course me and my BF have been having protected sex since, and to my surprise the bleeding after having sex stopped. I have taking about 6 pregnancy test all came back negative. Then my period finally showed up on January 22, 2016 and these cramps are the absolute worse. I started with a light pink wipe now it's a heavy menstrual cycle"

shelly C January 23, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have took the depo shot 2 times in a row and the bleeding has not stopped. It's been going on almost 6 months so the doctor gave me the nuva ring. The doctor said that after 2 days the bleeding will stop its been 2weeks and the bleeding hasn't stopped yet. So technically I have the depo shot and the nuva ring in my system and I'm not having any good results."

SJD*** January 22, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started the shot about 4 months ago. The first few weeks it was great and I loved not having to take a pill everyday. Then I started spotting, but I knew it was a side effect and thought it would stop. The spotting/bleeding continued for 3 months, on and off. When I would think it stopped, I'd have sex and it would start bleeding during or after sex. After the 3 months ended I was so excited that I wouldn't have to ruin anymore underwear and buy any more tampons but I was wrong, every now and then I spot and bleed during or after sex. It is annoying and inconvenient. This is a great thing if you really don't want to get pregnant but if it is just for cramps and heavy periods I do not recommend."

Gracedwight January 20, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got my first shot november 18th 2015. My doctor gave it me while I had already been spotting for about 3 days. The spotting went on for a week more stopped for 3 days and started again for 12 days. Stopped for 11 days started again on decmeber 23 and it hasn't stopped since. My 2nd injection is scheduled for feb 4th. If I don't get it will the spotting stop or will it get worse ?"

Hatinglife22 January 18, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the depo shot the day I got discharged after having my son 11/9/15 and I was a bit moody at first but I calmed down. I had the normal 6 weeks bleeding and I thought I was done but I've been spotting and it been two months. It's only when I wipe but sometimes there's more. I won't be getting a second round and from reading the other experiences I hope I stop spotting soon and don't continue even after I stop the shot."

Lizzoso January 14, 2016

"I will never take this drug again. I suffer from uterine fibroid and I am symptomatic which means my periods are heavy. I'm also pre-menopausal, I am 44 years old and never take medicine from a doctor. I'm a health nut and love anything natural. My body is not used to mess of any kind including iron. I do suffer from anemia but I found a solution naturally to keep my blood count up by eating chicken livers and drinking grape wine twice a week. So I can naturally maintain a level of 10. I had to get a blood transfusion back in November because I was at a 6. I was prescribed 10 miligrams for 10 days of the provera. I did not know that it was a synthetic form of progesterone which really freaked me out. I suffered 15 different side effects."

Michelle B January 12, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "The reason I decided for getting this shot was to stop my periods because they are extremely heavy and I get such painful cramps I can't walk or eat for days. I got my first shot October 15, 2015 and the first month was awesome! It stopped my period the same day and I had no weight gain, no spotting, NOTHING. Then November rolled around and I started to get very light, super bright pink spotting on the occasion but didn't think much of it. That was until a little over a week later when the bleeding got worse and HAS NOT STOPPED SINCE! It has become a full on period every single day for 2 months straight. I called the local clinic and they said there is nothing they can do to help stop the bleeding. I am annoyed that I wasted my money on this"

Can't Stop Won't Stop Bleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 11, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "So basically the same as everyone else . I took it for my first time a few years ago and tried it for a few months but my bleeding would go on for almost the whole month. So I stopped I started again in October and my period was late 19 or 20 days so I thought this time would be different. Ended up bleeding for a few weeks? Stopped December 31 or 1st then started again on January 7th and it isn't just spotting . I don't know why I decided to take it again. It was definitely a terrible decision. I'm not sure why I let my doctor talk me in to it. I'm only giving it 2 stars because at least it's worked at not getting me pregnant. Definitely not getting my next shot."

J.d.r (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 10, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "After recieving this shot I had one heavy period. After that I didn't have a period for two months. Then one day I just started heavily bleeding and that lasted 7 months straight. My doctor could not find a cure or cause and I feel it was this shot."

Reyna212 January 9, 2016

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm 39 years old. I have 3 children. After my 3rd child (@30yearsold)I got my tube tied. A few years after that I started with very, very bad cramps and very, very heavy periods. I suffered with this for 9 years until August 2015 the doctor suggested an IUD. But, because I have fibroids. That couldn't be inserted. So, she suggested the Depo. I agreed to it. Because I had it after I had my Twins. And I never had a problem. So, I got my 1st injection in August 2015. I was fine for 1 month. SEPTEMBER 17,2015 my period came on and haven't been off since today is January 9th 2016. I feel depressed. I don't feel like sex. Sometimes it heavy. The pass month I've been having bad cramps. A lot of clotting a lot!! So, 2016 I'm saying bye to this Depo"

Jalana3 (taken for 1 to 6 months) January 9, 2016