Pill Identifier App

User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone review summary

6.0/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by Ram She'll (taken for less than 1 month):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I was on the depo a little over a year ago had no problems nor period the whole time . This year I returned back to the depo feb 10 , 2015 and have been bleeding for 2 1/2 months straight . The Depo is terrible. NEVER AGAIN

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 3:26 PM

Review by Hanananana (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I only had 2 shots then stopped but about 2 months after stopping, I started having constant bleeding and its been non-stop for almost 3 months and for me it's way more of a hassle than it's worth.

8 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 25, 2015 12:32 AM

Review by AfromFoodland:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on this shot for a little more than a year, and at first it was fine but about halfway through my year I began having random periods of spotting. I noticed it usually began after (and sometimes DURING) sex. I haven't gained much weight or anything but bleeding during sex is NOT fun. I would recommend this form of birth control but something must be done about the irregular bleeding.

April 24, 2015 2:37 AM

Review by Samg1234:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on this for exactly a month now and I have been bleeding since the day I got it. Granted, I had to get the shot when I started my period but the bleeding hasn't stopped. I am heavy enough to where I have to wear a regular sized tampon. It's messing with my sex life and it's driving me insane. I'm going to get my second shot in June and if this doesn't stop I'm going to stop the shot all together.

April 23, 2015 7:51 AM

Review by Comarr (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the Depo-Provera since November 2014 and I've been bleeding ever since. It's about time for my next shot and I will not be continuing to take this medicine. Whereas it may be effective but it's costing more money buying feminine hygiene products and it's seriously affecting my sex life. And I'm over the continuous bleeding.

April 16, 2015 6:25 AM

Review by Court20137 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on depo for almost a year now. It's had its ups and down. Ups would be not having periods, no babies, and unprotected sex!!!!! Downs would be the red/brown spotting, weight gain and back pain (what I'm experiencing at the moment). The weight thing is a little weird. I usually weigh around 159-163, and I gained about 10 pounds and recently lost them from going to the gym and eating less fast foods. Overall, it's the best BC method. Keep in mind all that I described doesn't happen to all women, we all vary.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 12, 2015 10:31 PM

Review by meme4567890:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): This shot has saved my life. I was very hormonal with terrible painful PMS. This shot helped with all of my symptoms..including my constant back pain. I don't really think the weight gain is a big issue because I know I gained 5 pounds around my period anyways. I have energy to do more important things now and it has helped my depression significantly. It may not be for everyone but it definitely is helping me tremendously.

7 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 9, 2015 8:11 PM

Review by _Bloody Mary_:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got my first dose Feb. 24th. I cramped for about 3 weeks. I started to spot around March 20. I've been bleeding heavy on and off Since March 22 to present. Its horrible. I have serious mood swings. My face has broken out badly. And I'm always tired and constantly eating. My body feels weak maybe due to lose of to much blood. I won't be getting my second dose in May!

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 8, 2015 5:22 AM

Review by Jh09 (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the depo shot for a month and a half and I have not quit bleeding since I got the shot sex life has been ruined I'm calling the gyno tomorrow.

2 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

April 6, 2015 7:44 PM

Review by Lushes:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got this shot in January after having my son ever since then I haven't stopped bleeding I'm certainly thinking of taking the pill better I guess my body isn't working with this shot. But it is very effective!

April 2, 2015 2:33 PM

Review by LS6198 (taken for 10 years or more):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on Depo for almost 12 years now. Bled / spotted non-stop for the first 6 months and a little after that. The side effects normalized after a full 12 months. Initially I gained weight by only on the first few months. When it's close to being time for my next injection I get PMS symptoms and every now and then, I get "unusual" (unusual for me) side effects with an injection but it usually is only for 3 months and goes back to normal with the next one. I do, however, experience spotting / bleeding after sex sometimes. I've heard it can be from cervical capillaries that are made more sensitive from the drug but I don't know that there's firm research on it.

4 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 31, 2015 5:48 PM

Review by JosieSan:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been on the depo shot since I had my daughter which was 3 years ago. For the first few months I had spotting but that stopped. I still get PMS-like symptoms around the time I would usually get my period. I have gained 15 pounds while on depo. I have been getting bad migranes & terrible aches in my body and I'm not sure if it's because of the shot. I would definitely recommend this shot. There is nothing to remember every day, just show up to the doctor once every 3 months!

3 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 29, 2015 7:22 AM

Review by Reply to Bone Loss Comment::

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "just stopped because I have been on it to long, it will cause bone loss" -->Actually, this has recently been refuted! I almost had a hysterectomy last summer after my GYN told me I had to stop for bone loss & the surgeon's a leading expert in her field - told me to ride the Depo Train as long as it prevents my god-awful periods & then come back for the surgery. She emailed me the studies, so I verified the info myself.

March 27, 2015 5:57 PM

Review by babycakes94 (taken for less than 1 month):

for a long time i have been irregular bleeding i would bleed for months on end but sometimes it wouldnt be bad just light but others it would be to were i couldnt stand up so i finally had enough of that and went to the obgyn. she presribed me provera and i am just now on my third pill. on my second i started lightly spotting but it went away then today thrid pill i am bleeding not bad but enough to wear a pad. hopefully this works im not to sure right now

March 25, 2015 11:05 AM

Review by Anna1353:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the depo three month shot ever since May 2014. A month after having the shot I began to spot, for two to three months. Then I had my second dose, everything was fine for a month and a half, then I started spotting once again. My third dose the same thing happend. Right after my fourth dose everything was fine until my husband and I had sex. I started bleeding and it hasn't subsided, it's been like this for over a week. It's extremely irritating.

March 23, 2015 7:06 PM

Review by Leela1234:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been on the shot since December 4th 2014, have had a period from January 9th 2015 to the present.

65 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 16, 2015 9:17 PM

Review by Paiksmedics:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Had abnormal bleeding after getting double dose that was a month before next dose

March 15, 2015 4:43 AM

Review by DreaJ:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been on Depo Provera since Dec. 6, 2015. Started bleeding January 6 2015 and it hasn't stopped since then! I had my second injection last Saturday and I'm hoping that the bleeding will stop. Its effective in preventing pregnancy but Its greatly affecting my sex life.

79 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 9, 2015 2:58 PM

Review by Anonymous (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I love how all of you say that you can't lose weight on Depo. I gained about 15 pounds, started dieting and exercising, and now I have lost all of that weight and more! Yes I have some spotting, but its better than having to take a pill everyday!

March 1, 2015 6:17 PM

Review by MeshaeJ:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I am a user of the birth control shot and I honestly love the fact that I do not have to worry about taking the pill. I just go to the doc every three months to renew my shot. But the only thing I hate is the bleeding for long periods. I have been on theshot for almost a year and a half. I remember the first three months, I experienced excruciating pain one day in my stomach, it felt so bad. I was in class and I had to run to the bathroom. When I was sitting on the toilet, this HUGE blood clot came out. It was almost the size of a tennis ball. Afterwards, my cramping stopped.

6 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

March 1, 2015 10:49 AM

Review by Reynaaalee (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got the Depo shot in October 2014. It is now February 2015 and I have been either spotting or full on bleeding since then. I can't have sex because I start to bleed as if my period just started. I've been on and off the Depo for 4 years and this is the first time I've had a bad experience with it. I also gained 25 pounds since October, but I eat healthy and go to the gym regularly.

72 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 26, 2015 7:13 AM

Review by aoakes (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): New year's eve, I went and got my first birth control shot. I've been on the pill but I'm inconsistent and it didn't do much for me. No side effects, except for one. No period. This is a possible side effect, but the website says only 50% of users, and only after a year of use. I was hoping for it, but had resigned myself to waiting until 2016. Both this month and last month, I could feel "phantom cramps" (mine are in my back) but no blood. No pain. Just a very tiny ache, like what it used to feel like before I started. I'm very happy with it, because it used to be bad enough to keep me in bed all day. I just hope it lasts.

1 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 22, 2015 9:40 PM

Review by Lacey11091992:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been taking this shot since October. I've been bleeding non stop since December. It went from a 2 weeks period, to a 2 month period. I've taken Meds to help & nothing! This horrible. It's like I'm on the shot for no reason.

69 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

February 19, 2015 3:48 PM

Review by Depo user:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been on the Depo for 13 yrs and it has been great no periods not even spotting but I did however gain a lot of weight and I have experienced headaches but I just stopped because I have been on it to long, it will cause bone loss I probably experienced a lot of the side effects but nothing worse then bleeding and cramping for months at a time I would have definitely go back to it if I could.

February 6, 2015 5:13 AM

Review by Bec22 (taken for 2 to 5 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Have been on Depo-Provera almost 3 years since being diagnosed with polycystic ovarian syndrome and endometriosis as it is the only contraceptive my consultant could recommend that doesn't allow ovulation. I can honestly say I find no faults with this contraceptive! I get it every 10 weeks as apposed to every 12 weeks to keep it built up and not allow bleeding, I was on the pill version before and it didn't agree with me but the injection has worked wonders! No pain, nausea, anemia or bleeding! My life has changed because of this medication, I would honestly seek professional advice if you found this didn't work for you as it may just be a case of dosage or time span.

January 30, 2015 9:12 AM