User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone review summary

6.2/10 Average Rating

Compare all 160 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Review by breebug001:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I received my first dose of the shot in the beginning of May, and I have been constantly bleeding every since! I was told at after my 3rd shot the bleeding would stop, but it hasn't. I'm considering switching to the pill at the end of this month. I cannot take this bleeding anymore.

December 6, 2014 5:58 PM

Review by al400 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Hi I've been on the shot since the beginning of May. I've been bleeding constantly for 7 months with very frequent headaches. I almost thought I was anemic at one point due to the shot. However it was very effective in preventing pregnancy, but definitely not worth all the other symptoms.

9 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 30, 2014 1:44 PM

Review by vancesmom:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I first tried the shot a few years ago. I only got one shot. For the very first time it lasted three months so did my period so I stopped. I now have a son and I went back to the Depo shot and my body has seemed to work with it now .. I talked with my doctor and she said that very common and to just go through with the 2nd and 3rd shot. Now I have no period and I don't have to remember to take a pill ... please give it another try

0 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

November 17, 2014 8:47 PM

Review by Elaine Carter:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the shot since January and today is my 1st time bleeding. I've been on and off of it for over 14 years and have never had bleeding while on. After getting off at times I've had constant abnormal bleeding until period regulated again.

November 14, 2014 3:36 PM

Review by Lee121212:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I thought the shot would be easy due to the fact of taking it every three months compared to the pill taking it everyday, but the shot does not work for my body! I have been bleeding for over a month now. I am going back to the pill.

November 5, 2014 5:20 PM

Review by nene91:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I had a miscarriage August 2014 and September 2014 I had got on the shot to help with my periods but its not working. I started my period October 20th 2014 and still bleeding heavy November 5. I have headaches and the cramps are crazy never cramp or bleed this much.

November 5, 2014 3:48 PM

Review by Cv73:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been using the Depo for 2 1/2 years now. I noticed during the first year I would spot lightly when I usually got my period and my cramps went away. After the first year my period pretty much went away for the most part. However, when I do occasionally get spotting, it lasts for about 2 weeks and it comes at random times. In the past year I can recall it happening three times. For me it still beats getting reglar periods and it has taken away my horrible cramps so I deal with it. The pill always made me sick no matter what brand I tried so that is another plus with the Depo. But everyone is different and everyone will react differently.

October 27, 2014 10:21 PM

Review by Raven2010:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): My shot ended in August and since then I have been constantly bleeding. I went in and saw a doctor about this issue and they told me to take 3 pain relievers 4 times a day to stop the bleeding. I have tried that and I am still bleeding. I will never get on this shot again. I have been on this shot before and never had issues like this.

October 4, 2014 9:12 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I started my shot around June of this year and since then I have not stopped bleeding. My doctor is prescribing Nuvaring to put on top of my shot to see if it will stop the bleeding. I will definitely post my results.

September 29, 2014 12:24 PM

Review by key25watkins (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I'm approaching the third calendar shot for me and now that I have began to bleed unexpectedly, I've taken the time to evaluate myself. Since beginning the Depo-Provera in February I've noticed a series of uncontrollable headaches as well as a spike in my blood pressure. I was administered a better dosage of hydrochlorothiazide to reduce the effects of this blood pressure spike but immediately proceeding my dosage I started experiencing this unexpected bleeding. Taken a back by such abrupt change this makes me reflect on the changes my body has experienced throughout the short course being administered Depo. I had even began to experience anxiety here and there, not to mention fatigue. Later came the abdominal cramps and pains with vaginal adverse side effect.

September 23, 2014 1:53 AM

Review by Pip Nos (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): This shot has caused me so many issues. I got it only once. Before the shot, I had abnormally heavy periods that lasted 6 days, and to be honest I'd rather go back to that. My body has had so many issues. The first month, things were fine. The only issues I had within the first month was headaches and nausea (the nausea got EXTREMELY severe at times, I actually had to grip onto my boyfriend just to get stable or lie on the floor). Then came the second month, EXCESSIVE SPOTTING. I also got major depression and hated everyone. I am currently on my third month of the shot and I am still spotting heavily, and sometimes bleeding. Due to the shot, I am now anemic and facing heading to the ER, but I can't because I do not have insurance.

September 20, 2014 5:33 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I got Depo-Provera on June 10 at the hospital after giving birth to my daughter. Today is September 15 and I have not stopped bleeding at all! I also have two friends who have the same problem. This shot is terrible!

September 14, 2014 10:11 AM

Review by Zamora Ivy:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on Depo for 1 year and 5 months and first my periods would last 2 weeks 3 days instead of 5-7 days. After my 3rd shot I had no more periods but lately my last 2 shots I've been spotting due to getting my shots at the 12th week instead of 10-11 week. I've had no complications inspite the 20-25 lbs gain weight from the shot. This September I'm due for another but have decided with my fiance to put a hold on the shots. Just remember ladies everyone's body is different so what may work out for me won't on others if one birth control doesn't cut it for you try another the one that suits you best. Good luck.

September 7, 2014 4:43 AM

Review by Anonymous (taken for less than 1 month):

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I took provera for 7 days for abnormal uterine bleeding it only made the bleeding worse with more clots and gave me the worse headaches ever

September 6, 2014 1:43 PM

Review by Jenniw:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): Had the shot once, no bleeding the first two months then the third month a four week long period. Didn't go back (due for another shot May third) and I've pretty much been bleeding/spotting the whole time. April-September and still going strong.

August 22, 2014 4:04 PM

Review by Laysha (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the shot since April now that I have my second shot. I spotted blood a few times but now there's constant bleeding.

August 14, 2014 11:30 AM

Review by _nonthvg (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I only had one shot. It lasts 3 months. During those months I got my period the first month & not the other two. Now I came down to Trinidad on vacation before I was able to get my second shot. Now I've been bleeding for 3 months STRAIGHT. I know this is abnormal. I have the worst cramps, & my whole body hurts.

August 11, 2014 10:30 PM

Review by Confused? (taken for 5 to 10 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I have been on the Depo-Provera shot for 5 years, I love it, I haven't had a period since I got the first shot. Then one day randomly, I started spotting, I wasn't to concerned at first but the bleeding went on and got heavier over a span of 2 months (I had been trying to get into the doctors but that hadn't been working out). Finally I was able to talk to my doctor and it just turned out to be my body basically adapting to the progestin, so instead of coming in every 12 weeks I come in every 10 to 11 weeks depending on if I start bleeding.

August 11, 2014 5:43 PM

Review by Bianca b:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've had DEPO PROVERA for about two years, for the first couple of months I was bleeding like crazy, then it lightened up to only spotting occasionally and bleeding the week my next shot was due. I gained 5 pounds throughout the two years which was not bad but recently I've been bleeding for almost a week straight it kind of sucks because I have a boyfriend and I want to have sex, I just have to deal with maybe the next time I'll get the shot it won't be as bad. If the bleeding continues as it does now I might just go back on the pill.

August 10, 2014 9:15 PM

Review by Overbleeding (taken for 1 to 6 months):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I had my first shot and the first three months were fine. After the second shot I haven't stopped bleeding. When I was due for my third shot my doctor advised against having it. It should have worn off by now. I am still bleeding, now five months after my second shot, it feels like it is never going to stop.

July 26, 2014 1:07 AM

Review by Meme74 (taken for 6 months to 1 year):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): My first shot was July 16, 2013, the last shot was March 24, 2014. Four shots total and in that time I had some type of vaginal discharge every month. I wore some type of pantyliner or pad everyday during this time because I never knew if I would have a period. The bleeding wasn't always heavy, but I bled enough that I became iron deficient anemic. I did experience larger than normal clots some months. I wanted to try the full year to see if my periods would ever stop, but the lack of iron made me get off Depo.

July 15, 2014 7:19 PM

Review by emmie3183 (taken for less than 1 month):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): After 5 years of not getting the shot I decided it was time again endometriosis is very painful and it had returned so it was time. The last Depo Provera shot was great, no periods, no weight gain, no hormonal imbalances. This time I have the hormones of a pregnant woman and I've been bleeding heavily for two weeks since giving myself the shot. I don't have cramping too bad and my face has cleared but this hormonal imbalance, headaches, and heavy bleeding is kicking my butt even more tired than normal.

July 11, 2014 8:07 PM

Review by Hyaaa74:

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I do not like this medicine. I've only had one shot so far. I didn't come on my period for two months now on the third month I've been on for 2 weeks already. The pain is worse then my normal cramps. I'm not getting my second shot. I'm only 16.

July 4, 2014 9:10 AM

Review by Twinkx97 (taken for 1 to 2 years):

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I'm almost due for my 5th shot (almost a year) and I noticed last night that I had some irregular bleeding. Woke up and it had continued. Tad worried but I haven't had anything like this since I got my 2nd shot so I think I'm okay. Will chat to my GP about it when I go for my shot.

5 users found this comment helpful. Did you?   Yes   No Report as inappropriate

July 3, 2014 9:02 PM

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): I've been on the shot for about 6 months I haven't had a period or spotting except for just recently and I can't seem to use the restroom enough I don't drink that much liquids I've been bloated and having stomach cramps to. I think I'm going to see my doctor to get checked out. Other than that I haven't had any problems with the Depo-Provera.

July 1, 2014 10:58 PM