User Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone

Also known as: Amen, Curretab, Cycrin, Depo-Provera, Depo-Provera Contraceptive, depo-subQ provera 104, Provera

Learn more about Medroxyprogesterone.

Medroxyprogesterone Review Summary

4.8/10 Average Rating

What next?Compare all 146 medications used in the treatment of Abnormal Uterine Bleeding.

Reviews for Medroxyprogesterone to treat Abnormal Uterine Bleeding

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "The depo is different for everyone which I have found out. The only reason I got the depo is because it was highly recommended by people who have not experienced periods while on it, did not get a period in the first month but the second month was bleeding for a full 2 months and that's been my routine ever since will not be getting the 6th shot, I have spoke to a nurse and both doctor about this and it is considered normal as you need at least 3 in your system to get used to them but I am on the 6th and no change, would not recommend"

Ell1996 August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "One thing for sure. It definitely prevents pregnancy because you can't have sex due to the fact you're constantly bleeding. I got my second shot on July 10th and I have been bleeding ever since with occasional clots and it's almost the end of August. It's very frustrating and annoying. I definitely will not be getting the third shot! And the medical facilities that provide the shot have no clue. #neveragain"

LadyTee76 August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot in June, it was great in the beginning! I didn't have a period the first month, the 2nd month came around and I got my period! & now its been a month and I am still bleeding!! I will never again get this shot! I have severe cramps. long lasting headaches. For any woman looking to get on birth control, I DO NOT recommend the Depo!!!!!"

TexasMoM254 August 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I got the shot on July 2nd. The day I got the shot I had experienced sharp cramps in my stomach! Not even a week later I started bleeding, not like my normal light bleeding. This lasted for over a month! I stopped the heavy bleeding on August 15th!!! And now, I am still bleeding, just not as bad. This is like a brown slime. Its nasty as heck! This is the first and last time I will ever get that shot! Its ruining my attitude, I am never hungry, and I am dropping weight like no other! Not to mention my sex life!! I am going in on September 4th to talk to my doctor about trying something else and to see how we can stop the bleeding once and for all!!"

Missy0315 August 22, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I had regular periods until suddenly in June 2015 my period started and didn't end. In July I went to my "trusted" family doctor and he assured me that the depo would stop the bleeding. When the nurse was about to administer the shot she warned me and said you should get a second opinion. I was so desperate and I trusted my family doctor so I decided the get the shot anyway. Not only has the bleeding not stopped, its worsened. It is so bad that when I step out of the shower I have to use it tissue so it doesn't drip on the floor. I have been bleeding for 3 months. I finally went to my gyno and he said I should never have gotten it in the first place and there is nothing he can do. I need to let it bleed out. Never again. "

Sara. S August 19, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the depo two times now. The first time started in 2012 and I took it for 2 years. I had no problems at all with it. Then in February 2015 I decided to get back on it and the first shot went good until towards the end of it and I started spotting. Didn't think to much of it since I had been off it for a few months I thought it was just normal. Got my second shot in may. It has been a terrible experience. I've bled literally the whole 3 months. Me and my boyfriend can't have sex because that just makes it worse. My sex drive has plummeted. I'm due for another shot sometime this month. Not gonna get it. I actually have a dr. Appt tomorrow regarding the bleeding. I Don't recommend! No one should have to go thru this!"

morganlynn33 (taken for 2 to 5 years) August 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This was awful! I got my first shot at UVA two days after my first baby was born. They pushed it in me and didn't mention any side effects. Stopped bleeding (from giving birth) three weeks later. After about a week it started again and hasn't stopped. I got a second shot because they told me that can happen from my body getting used to the hormones. But I never went back for my third. Over six months later, I'm still bleeding, almost a month after I should've gone in for a third shot. I don't know what to do. It's exhausting. I'm constantly tired, moody and depressed and I want to eat everything in sight! I wouldn't recommend this method of birth control for anyone!"

Bab774332 (taken for 6 months to 1 year) August 9, 2015

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "First time I took Provera it worked great for 3-4 years and made me regular. I had gone to the ER for heavy bleeding and clotting. 2nd time I went to the ER was earlier this year (2015) for same reason. Provera slowed it down, passed clots and then I spotted here and there. Just recently, mid July, I started having heavy bleeding again and the docs couldn't give me answers as to why but put me on Provera again. Didn't do anything this time. It slowed it down on Day1-Day3 on it and then after and especially when I finished Provera I was bleeding very heavily. The doc said that's to be expected and have to wait it out, and just wait for my ultrasound. I'm so sick of all this bleeding and even more so not getting any answers/treatment."

Tanm_07 (taken for less than 1 month) August 9, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I took depo in January while I was on my period. After my period stopped like a few days laterIi started spotting and it never stopped. I told the doctor but they insisted that it was a good method so I took it again and scheduled the next shot. The spotting never stopped, I had a terrible appetite, my moods were changing like. I never went back to get the third shot. I regret ever taking depo. I feel like I'm never going to have my regular menstrual cycle or have the sex I had before or stop using pantie liners. This is very frustrating."

Ara5 August 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I found this site and comments of great interest. My daughter had a shot earlier this year and complained of continuous bleeding (not spotting) feeling bloated, nausea, headaches, cramps and very depressed and emotional. She went other doctor who has put her on antidepressants and pills to supposedly stop the bleeding a week on still bleeding. My daughter is 24 and has changed from a lovely bubbly happy person into an ill zombie who sits on the sofa all day fatigued and in pain. I certainly intend to seek legal advice."

Rachelle Oladejo August 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "If I could give this shot 0 rating I would. Lets start with I've always had a normal period before this unexplained side effect of a shot. This shot was administer to me in April and I didn't stop bleeding until July 31st. After doing my own research and taking matters into my own hands it has finally stopped. I went to the doctor countless of times trying to figure out how to stop the bleeding. I took (BLACKSTRAP MOLASSES) if I could type that in bold letters and in a bigger font I would. When I tell you on the first day of taking it the bleeding was much lighter and on the 5th day it was gone. All I took was one tablespoon daily."

Stop Depo August 3, 2015

Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was bleeding heavily for a month with extremely large blood clots that made it difficult and stressful to even leave the house. It was seriously affecting my quality of life and emotional well being. My Dr. prescribed Provera 10mg twice a day for ten days. After the second dose, the blood clots had completely disappeared. By the third dose, no bleeding at all. This medicine was like a miracle for me. I am happy to have my life back. I noticed I am having a headache, but it's not that bad. I'll take a headache any day over the suffering I endured with that excessive bleeding/clotting."

Relieved in California (taken for less than 1 month) August 1, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "After the birth of our son, my husband and I decided that the shot would be our best option. Didn't have to take a pill every day and no periods. So on July 18 2014 I had my first shot. I began soaking through 12 to 28 tampons daily. I was hospitalized for that, and once again for a fainting episode due to anemia. I never went back for my second shot. It is now just over a year later. I am still bleeding. My husband and I haven't had sex for a year because of the intensity of the pain and bleeding. I have tried everything from soy isoflavones, to ibuprofen and iron, to estrogen therapy, to other forms of birth control. They say I have to let it wear off, but it's so bad that I have trouble caring for my child because of fatigue."

Memphis' Mommy (taken for less than 1 month) July 26, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I have bled for 7 months straight since I took a shot of depo provera. I started bleeding 2 weeks after for 7 months. I have finished over 100 tablets of tanxeric acid to help stop the bleeding at different times. The bleeding reduces when am on the tablet and continues after 5 days. I regret ever taking depo provera. Am still praying for the bleeding to stop. I know am at the last stages before the side effect completely leaves my body. 1 more month to make it 8 months if it continues I will look for any available option to completely stop it. My Doctor didn't tell me the side effects before I took the shot. I've been on iron every day for 7 months. I also take multivitamin and vitamin C. This is a horrible experience for me.NEVER AGAIN!"

Splenn July 25, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I went on the depo in May '15 and just about due for my next dose. I like to have a positive outlook on life but my experience with depo has been dreadful! The evening I got it I started getting severe bug like stomach cramps, shivering and felt really unwell, this lasted for just over 2 weeks. Then about a week later I started bleeding and have yet to stop, on top of that, I've been losing weight, nausea, very sore breasts, bad cramping, low mood, fatigue, loss of appetite, strong sense of smell and taste (even gone off foods I used to love - almost feel pregnant in a way!) lots of migraines and over all feel very unwell. Doctor said I've just got to wait it out. Worst decision ever - never again!"

Raeily (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 24, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I'm going on a year and a half on depo. I got on depo because I need a birth control to keep cysts from form on my ovaries and the pill makes me crazy. I've done nothing but lose weight on depo. I'm a small person to being with but I can't gain weight to save my life. I've tried everything. Also my periods were always short and I had clots but the periods weren't heavy. I have one cycle every round of my shot (around the end of the second month) but throughout my whole shot I would get cramps from hell. They would have me in the floor crying almost passing out then I would start bleeding for a day or two. That is on top of already having a period. My boobs are sore almost 24/7 and when I say this shot made me bipolar. I'm done with depo!!"

ChelseaKS July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "The depo shot works very well in terms of pregnancy prevention but the side affects are awful. I first got the shot in November of 2014 and about two weeks after, I started bleeding and have yet to stop eight months later with the exception of a random two weeks. I also get severe cramps and mood swings and not to mention I've spent way too much money on tampons. My doctor said to give it a few months to let my body adjust but it's been a long time and I'm highly considering changing to a different form of birth control."

Jadakissxoxo324 July 16, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I first had this shot in 1997, I had two but felt sick all the time, my periods did stop though. Came off it and went back on the pill, didn't have a period for a year and a half. In 2000 I decided to give it another go, soon settled down and didn't have any periods at all, stayed on it for 14 years. It was fabulous, no periods or spotting. But, I was suffering from depression which is a side effect of depo I decided to come off it. Started my first period after about 10 days and it lasted about a month and it stank. Had about a weeks break and then bleeding again, thick dark brown clots. In the end I gave up and went back on it, after 3 injections still having random spotting, lasting random amounts of time. Just hope it settles down again"

Bluetaz July 14, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've only had 3 shots from Dec 2014 to my last one may 2015. After the first shot my periods stop completely no pain nothing also took care of my cyst problems. Use to get horribly large cyst that didn't erupt properly or in a timely manner. So that has been really nice not having to go through that pain for weeks. Second shot still going strong no problems, just a little boob soreness at times. Thrid shot here we go - weight gain, lots of hair loss, cramps with bad shooting pain, boob soreness/pain when bending over, brown spotting to heavy brown which I have never in my life have had (I'm 30) for weeks now. Headaches, mood swings-very emotional at times.Going to doctor 7/22/15 I might just get off the shot. #Listen to ur body."

49erluv (taken for 6 months to 1 year) July 11, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "My normal period last four days. I just started the depo shot, and my period stopped for about a month. Two weeks ago I started bleeding, I've been bleeding for 15 days straight! I go in a few weeks to get my next shot. If the bleeding doesn't stop soon, I'm gonna have to go back to the doctor to figure something out. My cousin started the depo before me, her period stopped for a while and then all of a sudden she started bleeding for 12 days straight."

Anonymous July 10, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "This shot has temporarily ruined my life. I am close to my 3 month mark of this shot, which means another dose. I am strongly considering not getting another. I am currently typing this at 4am because I woke up after bleeding through my pad. Not fun. I've been bleeding/spotting for over half of the 3 months. I am always bloated, tired, and emotional. Sex drive gone, not to mention the constant inserting and deserting of tampons dozens of times a day. The only thing i ever see is blood. I'm constantly tired, i dont have the drive to do anything. This shot has consumed my life."

rissacat (taken for 1 to 6 months) July 8, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I started this shot in order to stop my already heavy flow, and it did the complete opposite! Every time that I take the shot, I am period free for a week, and then after that, 3 months of constant bleeding. It was the worst idea ever. Thank goodness that I did not go with the arm implant, I bet that I would have been bleeding for 3 years straight, no breaks!"

MJhane July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I was on the depo for about a year, everything was perfect. Then I had stopped taking birth control, went back on the patch, then I had to go back on the shot. Now, I'm due for my third shot and I've been bleeding for two weeks. Every time I think it's done, I become active with my partner and it all starts coming out again! He and I have been together for a year and a half, so the only good thing about it right now is that I'm not pregnant."

Bee7 July 7, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "I've been on the shot since I believe December. It sucks! The first two shots were great until the end of the second shot and coming up for my third shot. I started bleeding near the end of March and I think I received my third shot shortly after in April. I am still bleeding! The heaviness of it varies week to week. But it sucks. I've heard it takes a while for the shot to wear off and your cycle to go back to normal after getting off the shot - i don't know how accurate that information is. But personally, I would like to say that if you don't need to take any form of birth control other than medical reasons DON'T! This was a horrible decision on my part. I'm done with Depo."

branlynn June 30, 2015

Depo-Provera (medroxyprogesterone): "Took the shot 6-2014 and was bleeding 2 weeks straight every other week. Then August 2014 i started bleeding again and i have yet to stop. It is now a year today when i first took my shot. I now have another dr and she says after i do a pelvic ultrasound and blood work, she will put me on the pill if everything looks normal. The pill will regulate my cycle after about a month taking it. I really hope it works."

kayla R June 30, 2015