Generic Name: nystatin (nye-STA-tin)
Brand Name: Generic only. No brands available.
Nystatin is used for:
Treating vaginal yeast infections.
Nystatin is an antifungal. It works by killing or slowing the growth of sensitive fungi.
Do NOT use nystatin if:
- you are allergic to any ingredient in nystatin
Contact your doctor or health care provider right away if any of these apply to you.
Before using nystatin:
Some medical conditions may interact with nystatin. Tell your doctor or pharmacist if you have any medical conditions, especially if any of the following apply to you:
- if you are pregnant, planning to become pregnant, or are breast-feeding
- if you are taking any prescription or nonprescription medicine, herbal preparation, or dietary supplement
- if you have allergies to medicines, foods, or other substances
Some MEDICINES MAY INTERACT with nystatin. However, no specific interactions with nystatin are known at this time.
Ask your health care provider if nystatin may interact with other medicines that you take. Check with your health care provider before you start, stop, or change the dose of any medicine.
How to use nystatin:
Use nystatin as directed by your doctor. Check the label on the medicine for exact dosing instructions.
- An extra patient leaflet is available with nystatin. Talk to your pharmacist if you have questions about this information.
- Nystatin if for vaginal use only. Do not take this tablet by mouth.
- Wash your hands before and immediately after using nystatin.
- Use the applicator to insert nystatin high into the vagina.
- Nystatin works best if it is used at the same time every day.
- To clear up your infection completely, use nystatin for the full course of treatment. Keep using it even if you feel better in a few days.
- Continue to use nystatin even during your period.
- If you miss a dose of nystatin, use it as soon as possible. If is almost time for your next dose, skip the missed dose and go back to your regular dosing schedule. Do not use 2 doses at once.
Ask your health care provider any questions you may have about how to use nystatin.
Important safety information:
- Check with your doctor before using any douches or other vaginal products while you are using nystatin.
- PREGNANCY and BREAST-FEEDING: If you become pregnant, contact your doctor. You will need to discuss the benefits and risks of using nystatin while you are pregnant. It is not known if nystatin is found in breast milk. If you are or will be breast-feeding while you use nystatin, check with your doctor. Discuss any possible risks to your baby.
Possible side effects of nystatin:
All medicines may cause side effects, but many people have no, or minor, side effects. When used in small doses, no COMMON side effects have been reported with this product. Seek medical attention right away if any of these SEVERE side effects occur:
Severe allergic reactions (rash; hives; itching; difficulty breathing; tightness in the chest; swelling of the mouth, face, lips, or tongue); vaginal irritation.
This is not a complete list of all side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, contact your health care provider. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects. To report side effects to the appropriate agency, please read the Guide to Reporting Problems to FDA.
If OVERDOSE is suspected:
Contact 1-800-222-1222 (the American Association of Poison Control Centers), your local poison control center, or emergency room immediately.Proper storage of nystatin:
Store nystatin at room temperature, between 59 and 86 degrees F (15 and 30 degrees C). Store away from heat, moisture, and light. Do not store in the bathroom. Keep nystatin out of the reach of children and away from pets.
- If you have any questions about nystatin, please talk with your doctor, pharmacist, or other health care provider.
- Nystatin is to be used only by the patient for whom it is prescribed. Do not share it with other people.
- If your symptoms do not improve or if they become worse, check with your doctor.
- Check with your pharmacist about how to dispose of unused medicine.
This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take nystatin or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about nystatin. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to nystatin. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using nystatin.
Disclaimer: This information should not be used to decide whether or not to take this medicine or any other medicine. Only your health care provider has the knowledge and training to decide which medicines are right for you. This information does not endorse any medicine as safe, effective, or approved for treating any patient or health condition. This is only a brief summary of general information about this medicine. It does NOT include all information about the possible uses, directions, warnings, precautions, interactions, adverse effects, or risks that may apply to this medicine. This information is not specific medical advice and does not replace information you receive from your health care provider. You must talk with your healthcare provider for complete information about the risks and benefits of using this medicine.