Nystatin Side Effects
It is possible that some side effects of nystatin may not have been reported. These can be reported to the FDA here. Always consult a healthcare professional for medical advice.
For the Consumer
Applies to nystatin: oral capsule, oral suspension, oral tablet
As well as its needed effects, nystatin may cause unwanted side effects that require medical attention.
Some nystatin side effects may not need any medical attention. As your body gets used to the medicine these side effects may disappear. Your health care professional may be able to help you prevent or reduce these side effects, but do check with them if any of the following side effects continue, or if you are concerned about them:Less common
- nausea or vomiting
- stomach pain
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to nystatin: compounding powder, oral capsule, oral lozenge, oral suspension, oral tablet, topical cream, topical ointment, topical powder, vaginal tablet
Stevens Johnson Syndrome has been reported in at least one patient receiving nystatin.[Ref]
Gastrointestinal side effects have been reported rarely. These have included stomach upset, bloating, nausea, and vomiting. Diarrhea has been reported to occur occasionally at high doses.[Ref]
1. Quirce S, Parra F, Lazaro M, Gomez MI, Sanchez Cano M "Generalized dermatitis due to oral nystatin." Contact Dermatitis 25 (1991): 197-8
2. Garty BZ "Stevens-Johnson syndrome associated with nystatin treatment." Arch Dermatol 127 (1991): 741-2
3. Wasilewski C Jr "Allergic contact dermatitis from nystatin." Arch Dermatol 104 (1971): 437
4. Lang E, Goos M "Combined allergy to tolnaftate and nystatin." Contact Dermatitis 12 (1985): 182
5. Wasilewski C Jr "Allergic contact dermatitis from nystatin." Arch Dermatol 102 (1970): 216-7
6. de Groot AC, Conemans JM "Nystatin allergy. Petrolatum is not the optimal vehicle for patch testing." Dermatol Clin 8 (1990): 153-5
7. "Product Information. Mycostatin Pastilles (nystatin)." Ernest Jackson & Co., Ltd., Crediton, Devon, England, .
8. Coskey RJ "Contact dermatitis due to nystatin." Arch Dermatol 103 (1971): 228
9. Hills RJ, Ive FA "Contact sensitivity to nystatin in Timodine." Contact Dermatitis 28 (1993): 48
10. Pareek SS "Nystatin-induced fixed eruption." Br J Dermatol 103 (1980): 679-80
11. "Product Information. Nystatin, USP from Extemporaneous Preparation of Oral Suspension (nystatin)." Paddock Laboratories Inc, Minneapolis, MN.
More about nystatin
Related treatment guides
Disclaimer: Every effort has been made to ensure that the information provided is accurate, up-to-date and complete, but no guarantee is made to that effect. In addition, the drug information contained herein may be time sensitive and should not be utilized as a reference resource beyond the date hereof. This material does not endorse drugs, diagnose patients, or recommend therapy. This information is a reference resource designed as supplement to, and not a substitute for, the expertise, skill , knowledge, and judgement of healthcare practitioners in patient care. The absence of a warning for a given drug or combination thereof in no way should be construed to indicate safety, effectiveness, or appropriateness for any given patient. Drugs.com does not assume any responsibility for any aspect of healthcare administered with the aid of materials provided. The information contained herein is not intended to cover all possible uses, directions, precautions, warnings, drug interactions, allergic reactions, or adverse effects. If you have questions about the substances you are taking, check with your doctor, nurse, or pharmacist.