Zincate Side Effects
Generic name: zinc sulfate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Sep 6, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about zinc sulfate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Zincate.
For the Consumer
Applies to zinc sulfate: oral capsule, oral tablet, oral tablet extended release
Other dosage forms:
What are some side effects that I need to call my doctor about right away?
WARNING/CAUTION: Even though it may be rare, some people may have very bad and sometimes deadly side effects when taking a drug. Tell your doctor or get medical help right away if you have any of the following signs or symptoms that may be related to a very bad side effect:
- Signs of an allergic reaction, like rash; hives; itching; red, swollen, blistered, or peeling skin with or without fever; wheezing; tightness in the chest or throat; trouble breathing, swallowing, or talking; unusual hoarseness; or swelling of the mouth, face, lips, tongue, or throat.
What are some other side effects of this drug?
All drugs may cause side effects. However, many people have no side effects or only have minor side effects. Call your doctor or get medical help if you have any side effects that bother you or do not go away.
These are not all of the side effects that may occur. If you have questions about side effects, call your doctor. Call your doctor for medical advice about side effects.
You may report side effects to the FDA at 1-800-332-1088. You may also report side effects at https://www.fda.gov/medwatch.
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to zinc sulfate: compounding powder, intravenous solution, oral capsule, oral tablet
Gastrointestinal side effects of zinc sulfate (the active ingredient contained in Zincate) when taken in large doses have included diarrhea, abdominal cramps, and vomiting, usually within 3 to 10 hours of dosing. The symptoms go away soon after discontinuation.[Ref]
Respiratory side effects have included losing sense of smell in patients who use nasal sprays containing zinc.[Ref]
More about Zincate (zinc sulfate)
- Drug interactions
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug images
- Drug class: minerals and electrolytes
Related treatment guides
1. Office of Dietary Supplements. National Institutes of Health "Dietary supplement fact sheet: zinc. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-HealthProfessional/" (2012):
2. Office of Dietary Supplements. National Institutes of Health "Dietary supplement fact sheet: zinc. http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/Zinc-QuickFacts/" (2012):
3. "Product Information. Zinc Sulfate (zinc sulfate)." American Regent Laboratories Inc (2012):
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.