Phospho-Trin 250 Neutral Side Effects
Generic Name: potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Nov 4, 2020.
Note: This document contains side effect information about potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate. Some of the dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Phospho-Trin 250 Neutral.
For the Consumer
Applies to potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate: oral tablet
Side effects requiring immediate medical attention
Along with its needed effects, potassium phosphate/sodium phosphate may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate:
Incidence not known
- Bone pain
- decreased urine output
- fast or irregular heartbeat
- joint pain
- mental confusion
- muscle cramps
- numbness or tingling around the lips
- numbness, tingling, pain, or weakness of the hands or feet
- shortness of breath
- swelling of the feet or lower legs
- troubled breathing
- unusual thirst
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- unusual weight gain
- weakness or heaviness of the legs
Side effects not requiring immediate medical attention
Some side effects of potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate may occur that usually do not need medical attention. These side effects may go away during treatment as your body adjusts to the medicine. Also, your health care professional may be able to tell you about ways to prevent or reduce some of these side effects.
Check with your health care professional if any of the following side effects continue or are bothersome or if you have any questions about them:
Incidence not known
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate: oral powder for reconstitution, oral tablet
There have been reports of a laxative effect occurring over the first few days of therapy. Lowering the dose usually reverses this effect; however, discontinuation of therapy is sometimes necessary.[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Gastrointestinal upset (diarrhea, nausea, stomach pain, vomiting), laxative effect[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Bone and joint pain (possible phosphate-induced osteomalacia), weakness or heaviness of legs, muscle cramps[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Fast or irregular heartbeat[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Unusual tiredness or weakness, swelling of feet or lower legs, unusual weight gain[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Shortness of breath or trouble breathing[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Unusual thirst[Ref]
Frequency not reported: Low urine output[Ref]
1. "Product Information. Av-Phos 250 Neutral (potassium phosphate-sodium phosphate)." AvKare Inc, Pulaski, TN.
2. "Product Information. K-Phos No. 2 (potassium phosphate-sodium phosphate)." Beach Pharmaceuticals, Tampa, FL.
3. "Product Information. Phospho-Trin 250 Neutral (potassium phosphate-sodium phosphate)." Patrin Pharma, Skokie, IL.
4. "Product Information. Virt-Phos 250 Neutral (potassium phosphate-sodium phosphate)." Virtus Pharmaceuticals LLC, Tampa, FL.
More about Phospho-Trin 250 Neutral (potassium phosphate / sodium phosphate)
Related treatment guides
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.