Orajel Denture Plus Side Effects
Generic name: benzocaine topical
Medically reviewed by Drugs.com. Last updated on Oct 27, 2022.
Note: This document contains side effect information about benzocaine topical. Some dosage forms listed on this page may not apply to the brand name Orajel Denture Plus.
Applies to benzocaine topical: cream, gel/jelly, lotion, lozenge/troche, ointment, paste, powder for suspension, solution, spray, swab. Other dosage forms:
- topical application cream, topical application gel/jelly, topical application liquid, topical application ointment, topical application solution, topical application spray
Serious side effects of Orajel Denture Plus
Along with its needed effects, benzocaine topical (the active ingredient contained in Orajel Denture Plus) may cause some unwanted effects. Although not all of these side effects may occur, if they do occur they may need medical attention.
Check with your doctor immediately if any of the following side effects occur while taking benzocaine topical:
Incidence not known
- Bluish-colored lips, fingernails, or palms
- dark urine
- difficulty breathing
- dizziness or lightheadedness
- high fever
- pale skin
- rapid heart rate
- sore throat
- unusual bleeding or bruising
- unusual tiredness or weakness
- worsening of pain, redness, swelling, or irritation in or around the mouth
For Healthcare Professionals
Applies to benzocaine topical: compounding powder, mucous membrane gel, mucous membrane liquid, mucous membrane lozenge, mucous membrane paste, mucous membrane powder for reconstitution, mucous membrane spray, mucous membrane swab, mucous membrane tablet disintegrating, rectal ointment, rectal suppository, topical cream, topical gel, topical liquid, topical lotion, topical ointment, topical spray, topical stick, topical swab.
Local side effects have included burning and stinging.[Ref]
Cardiovascular side effects have included angioedema.
Hematologic side effects have included methemoglobinemia. FDA continues to receive reports of methemoglobinemia from postmarketing reporting.[Ref]
More about Orajel Denture Plus (benzocaine topical)
- Check interactions
- Reviews (1)
- Latest FDA alerts (5)
- Dosage information
- During pregnancy
- Drug class: topical anesthetics
Related treatment guides
1. "Product Information. Solarcaine Plus Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Schering-Plough Healthcare Products (2005):
2. "Product Information. Americaine Hemorrhoidal (benzocaine topical)." Novartis Consumer Health (2005):
3. "Product Information. Dermoplast (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc (2005):
4. "Product Information. Outgro Pain Relief (benzocaine topical)." MedTech Inc (2005):
5. "Product Information. Cepacol Lozenges (cetylpyridinium topical)." GlaxoSmithKline Inc (2005):
6. "Product Information. Chloraseptic (benzocaine topical)." Procter and Gamble Pharmaceuticals (2005):
7. "Product Information. Vagisil Feminine Cream (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc (2005):
8. "Product Information. Lanacane (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc (2005):
9. "Product Information. Lanacane with Aloe (benzocaine topical)." Combe Inc (2005):
10. "Product Information. Hurricaine (benzocaine topical)." Beutlich (2005):
11. Throm MJ, Stevens MD, Hansen C "Benzocaine-induced methemoglobinemia in two patients: interdisciplinary collaboration, management, and near misses." Pharmacotherapy 27 (2007): 1206-14
Always consult your healthcare provider to ensure the information displayed on this page applies to your personal circumstances.
Some side effects may not be reported. You may report them to the FDA.